Author Topic: Liverpool Women FC (*)  (Read 618126 times)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool Ladies FC (*)
« Reply #520 on: May 7, 2013, 10:05:46 am »
There might not be anything LFC can do if the rights deals won't let us show our games ourselves. None of the WSL clubs are showing their games in full despite them all being recorded in full. There are a few like us with the means to get these matches shown on TV but everybody could easily stick them on the internet, either live streamed or just archived (the American league is using youtube to do it). I don't understand why it still isn't happening here.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #521 on: May 7, 2013, 12:17:20 pm »
The final game is away at Chelsea on the 19th. Doncaster v Everton is the day before. The top two teams go through to the semis. Group winners play the runner up from the other group.
Kel, what happens if we fail to take at least a point at Chelsea and lose by two goals, regardless of the Doncaster/EFC result (although I guess theoretically that could be interesting too but unlikely!)

That would leave us on P3, W1, D1, L1, same points and same GD right?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #522 on: May 7, 2013, 01:33:10 pm »
There might not be anything LFC can do if the rights deals won't let us show our games ourselves. None of the WSL clubs are showing their games in full despite them all being recorded in full. There are a few like us with the means to get these matches shown on TV but everybody could easily stick them on the internet, either live streamed or just archived (the American league is using youtube to do it). I don't understand why it still isn't happening here.

They are seriously missing a trick with Youtube. The NWSL have broadcasting for the women's game down to a fine art at this point, although the Scandinavian countries are not far behind. I frequently get to watch my players in action for their teams in those leagues, for key games at least. They also sometimes show highlights later that day.

I hope the WSL get their act together on that one, because getting the games seen by the public is crucial - especially tapping into the growing girls youth football scene that has been a key to any success that the American women's game has had.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: May 7, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »
Kel, what happens if we fail to take at least a point at Chelsea and lose by two goals, regardless of the Doncaster/EFC result (although I guess theoretically that could be interesting too but unlikely!)

That would leave us on P3, W1, D1, L1, same points and same GD right?
You're right, but god knows what would happen next. Nobody seems to know what the tie-breaks are because the rules are never published, and the FA have come up with some very random solutions in the past.

I haven't given much thought to the various qualification scenarios, and I won't be until Doncaster/EFC is finished and things are clearer. I think the best and easiest plan of attack is to just make sure we win.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: May 7, 2013, 02:44:04 pm »
They are seriously missing a trick with Youtube. The NWSL have broadcasting for the women's game down to a fine art at this point, although the Scandinavian countries are not far behind. I frequently get to watch my players in action for their teams in those leagues, for key games at least. They also sometimes show highlights later that day.

I hope the WSL get their act together on that one, because getting the games seen by the public is crucial - especially tapping into the growing girls youth football scene that has been a key to any success that the American women's game has had.
They are indeed missing a trick. If you read any of the comments on the various official websites, or any of the tweets sent to the various official twitter accounts or the ladies players themselves, 9 times out 10 it's people asking if there are streams or if a game is on TV. The official FAWSL twitter account is constantly bombarded with such questions. Half the people wanting to know aren't even in the UK. Many Americans would watch our games for Whitney Engen alone now that she's finally broken into the senior national side.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: May 7, 2013, 02:46:10 pm »
....I think the best and easiest plan of attack is to just make sure we win.
"Stick it in the net and we'll discuss your options later!" ;D (something like that anyway)

Christ, imagine the FA's dilemma if LFC and EFC tied underneath Chelsea! They'd probably find a way to exclude both and put Doncaster through with Chelsea ;)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: May 7, 2013, 02:47:50 pm »
They are indeed missing a trick. If you read any of the comments on the various official websites, or any of the tweets sent to the various official twitter accounts or the ladies players themselves, 9 times out 10 it's people asking if there are streams or if a game is on TV. The official FAWSL twitter account is constantly bombarded with such questions. Half the people wanting to know aren't even in the UK. Many Americans would watch our games for Whitney Engen alone now that she's finally broken into the senior national side.

Exactly. For me, it smacks a little of still not taking the womens game seriously at the top level, which is a shame, because it's a great game that could have a big impact in women's football in England. A lot of girls youth football players in America can tell you about Mia Hamm or Brandi Chastain or Abby Wambach or Alex Morgan, but I'm not sure the same could be said in England about English womens football players. That has to change, as young female players need female role models to show them that there is a path for them in the game.

Pheeny

« Reply #527 on: May 7, 2013, 07:42:23 pm »
Liverpool Ladies FC ‏@LFCladies 3m
38 Goal a great Amanda da Costa strike Liverpool go one up and it had been coming 0-1

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: May 7, 2013, 07:43:30 pm »
38 Goal a great Amanda da Costa strike Liverpool go one up and it had been coming 0-1
:scarf

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: May 7, 2013, 08:19:49 pm »
52 GOAL Corina broke on right picks out Amanda who puts it home for her second 0-2

Liverpool Ladies FC ‏@LFCladies 39s
55 liverpool corner GOAL strait from a Louise Fors corner 0-3

Arsenal Ladies ‏@ArsenalLadies 33s
Goal for Liverpool. Fors races through and makes it four.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: May 7, 2013, 08:28:36 pm »
52 GOAL Corina broke on right picks out Amanda who puts it home for her second 0-2

Liverpool Ladies FC ‏@LFCladies 39s
55 liverpool corner GOAL strait from a Louise Fors corner 0-3

Arsenal Ladies ‏@ArsenalLadies 33s
Goal for Liverpool. Fors races through and makes it four.

Brilliant stuff. Will be a great confidence booster too for the girls.

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #531 on: May 7, 2013, 08:30:27 pm »
Wow! Wow! WOW!! :scarf

Offline coxy99

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #532 on: May 7, 2013, 08:56:14 pm »
Christ I had a ticket for this but could not go at last minute..gutted!!

Offline Risto

• Anny Roader
« Reply #533 on: May 7, 2013, 08:56:33 pm »
Liverpool top of the league at this rate!

I know it is still very early but sounds like a good result coming, away against the reigning champions?

Keep it up!

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: May 7, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »
That was Arsenal's first defeat in the league since July 2011, and I believe it may even be their biggest defeat since 2002.

I'm tearing up.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: May 7, 2013, 09:01:01 pm »
Four nil? Away? To Arsenal?  :o :scarf

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: May 7, 2013, 09:01:29 pm »
Aren't Arsenal like the Barca meets Real meets Bayern meets Pele of womens football? How did we tonk them 4-0? Checked my twitter and saw "0-4" and assumed we'd been beaten. Would love it if they'd put the LFC score first for us who aren't acquainted with the names yet.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #537 on: May 7, 2013, 09:07:42 pm »
Bloody hell.

Indeed. Incredible!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: May 7, 2013, 09:09:32 pm »
Wow! When I saw 0-4 I wasn't sure if we were losing and the results were in the same format as the official, then I read the previous tweets and realised we were winning, and comfortably by the sounds of it! They'd best put highlights of this up at least, whoever owns the rights.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: May 7, 2013, 09:10:07 pm »
superb well done girls
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #540 on: May 7, 2013, 09:13:22 pm »
Great win Ladies.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #541 on: May 7, 2013, 09:17:17 pm »
Stunning result!

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: May 7, 2013, 09:19:27 pm »
4-0 away to Arsenal :o

Amazing stuff from LFC Ladies. Well done!

Offline lovestospooge

• Anny Roader
« Reply #543 on: May 7, 2013, 09:22:07 pm »
awesome! happy for amanda to get a brace. was this her first goal(s) for the club?

Offline esw2003

• Main Stander
« Reply #544 on: May 7, 2013, 09:22:57 pm »
Nearly 2 yrs since Arsenal have lost a game.  ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #545 on: May 7, 2013, 11:31:55 pm »
Have that you Cockney ____...  ;)

Is that all right in this thread? Genuine question, I suppose...

Phenomenal result, the Ladies are an exciting side...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: May 7, 2013, 11:56:38 pm »
bloody hell I guess that counts as being competitive :)
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #547 on: May 8, 2013, 12:59:24 am »
Been too long since Liverpool last beat Arsenal 4-0  :scarf

Great result!
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #548 on: May 8, 2013, 07:59:45 am »
Great result. Report on the BBC website as well.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #549 on: May 8, 2013, 08:08:33 am »
Aren't Arsenal like the Barca meets Real meets Bayern meets Pele of womens football? How did we tonk them 4-0? Checked my twitter and saw "0-4" and assumed we'd been beaten. Would love it if they'd put the LFC score first for us who aren't acquainted with the names yet.

That would be Lyon I reckon, however Arsenal has indeed been dominating english football and been reaching the semi finals in champions league three years in a row + winning it in 2007. Anywho, awesome result!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #550 on: May 8, 2013, 08:21:31 am »
Well done ladies.  :)

Offline garcia-alonso

• Kopite
« Reply #551 on: May 8, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »
Fantastic win! What a shame we couldn't watch it..

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #552 on: May 8, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »
A great start to the season. Could be the start of a new era of football dominance.

That being said I am happy the manager is keeping feet firmly on the ground. The target is top half of the table and anything more is a bonus.

It is important that the club keeps backing the team over the next few years at least. Womens football can be 'flavour of the month' to some board of directors. One season being backed fully by the club is useless if by this time next season the team becomes part-time again.

I think we do have a distinct advantage having American owners who know a lot about American sport. I'm sure they see a few money spinning matches with American womens soccer teams over the next few years.

Would it be all that crazy to have a Liverpool branded womens Soccer team franchise in America in the next decade?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #553 on: May 8, 2013, 03:32:00 pm »

Would it be all that crazy to have a Liverpool branded womens Soccer team franchise in America in the next decade?

The problem with this is the continual failure of fully professional women's football stateside.

Leagues keep launching with stratospheric expectation levels that are not met, go bust, and are re-cycled with putatively lowered epectations the next go-round.

The NWSL, http://www.nwslsoccer.com/, is the latest version, which seems to have a far better basis in reality as far as revenue and attendance expectations, plus the USSF is paying the salaries of full National team members playing, as is the Mexican Federation for the Mexican women's NT players.

If that league is successful over time, then perhaps FSG might look to Liverpool into US women's footy. Long way to go before that happens, I think... :wave

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: May 8, 2013, 03:37:20 pm »
The problem with this is the continual failure of fully professional women's football stateside.

Leagues keep launching with stratospheric expectation levels that are not met, go bust, and are re-cycled with putatively lowered epectations the next go-round.

The NWSL, http://www.nwslsoccer.com/, is the latest version, which seems to have a far better basis in reality as far as revenue and attendance expectations, plus the USSF is paying the salaries of full National team members playing, as is the Mexican Federation for the Mexican women's NT players.

If that league is successful over time, then perhaps FSG might look to Liverpool into US women's footy. Long way to go before that happens, I think... :wave

It's a lot more complicated than that. Although there is something to be said for the WPS over-reaching at times, the league more or less collapsed because of the actions of Borislow, because they needed his team and the team's revenue to keep going. The new model, although scaled smaller, will be more judiciously run. There is a market for womens football in the states, for obvious reasons (they are the best in the world), but at times they have been too optimistic in terms of grounds, fanbase, markets, etc. But in terms of how the womens teams reached out to local communities and became local icons for young female players, they played that hand near-perfectly.

The USSF were also paying the National Team players in WPS too, IIRC. The bonus for the NWSL is that the FMF are also doing the same for the Mexican players, which opens up a whole new market for TV now for the NWSL.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #555 on: May 8, 2013, 04:07:09 pm »
It's a lot more complicated than that. Although there is something to be said for the WPS over-reaching at times, the league more or less collapsed because of the actions of Borislow, because they needed his team and the team's revenue to keep going. The new model, although scaled smaller, will be more judiciously run. There is a market for womens football in the states, for obvious reasons (they are the best in the world), but at times they have been too optimistic in terms of grounds, fanbase, markets, etc. But in terms of how the womens teams reached out to local communities and became local icons for young female players, they played that hand near-perfectly.

We're likely to disagree about several of these things. I would never dispute the general douchebaggery of Borislow, and agree that his grandstanding was the final nail in the WPS coffin. As for the market being obvious, as a citizen and having played and coached since I was 6 years old, and currently working at TophatSoccdr Club, an all-girls club in Atlanta, I think you're being over-generous in your praise of reaching out to the respective local communities. As far as the Atlanta Beat were concerned, we did everything we could to get Tophat players to attend matches. The Beat did absolutely nothing in return. I have heard similar from coaches that worked in Boston and Washington DC, don't know about the other WPS clubs/locations.

And I'm far less certain than you that there is a market for women's professional football. Over here, parents don't want to watch unless their little Mia is playing; many of them are proud of that indisputably stupid position. No parents, market problems...

The USSF were also paying the National Team players in WPS too, IIRC. The bonus for the NWSL is that the FMF are also doing the same for the Mexican players, which opens up a whole new market for TV now for the NWSL.

You maybe right about this, but I was under the impression that one of the selling points of the NWSL was that the federations from both the US and Mexico were assuming the cost burden for National Team players. I'll research...  :wave

Edited to add bits of info from the excellent Soccer Insider, http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/a Washington Post soccer blog which covers DC United first, then US soccer and world football secondarily.

From the Insider, http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2013/05/08/wednesday-kickaround-8/ , scroll down to view...

*The Washington Spirit (0-2-2) reports 3,000 tickets sold for Saturday night’s visit by the Boston Breakers (2-0-1) at Maryland SoccerPlex, the NWSL club’s fourth consecutive home match. The Spirit is averaging 4,230 through three home dates, well above the 3,000 target set by the owner and bolstered significantly by the early visits from Abby Wambach (Western New York) and Alex Morgan (Portland).

*NWSL tonight: Chicago Red Stars at Sky Blue FC, 7 p.m. ET on www.youtube.nwslsoccer. Sky Blue drew just 2,611 for its home debut on a weekend last month.

Those attendance figures are generally normal ones for women's soccer stateside. Goff does a good job covering the NWSL for those who might be interested. Maybe we can get him to mention the Ladies...
« Last Edit: May 8, 2013, 04:25:30 pm by afc turkish »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: May 8, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »
Sent you a PM, mate.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: May 8, 2013, 05:16:56 pm »
Somebody is taking faaar too long giving the highlights to us  >:(  Picture spam while we wait!

Poor Gemma Davison's sad face

And a high-five for the gaffer

Pheeny

« Reply #558 on: May 8, 2013, 09:01:54 pm »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #559 on: May 8, 2013, 09:52:54 pm »
Somebody is taking faaar too long giving the highlights to us  >:(  Picture spam while we wait!
Great photos!!

Fantastic result.