Author Topic: Liverpool Women FC (*)  (Read 611882 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Liverpool Ladies FC (*)
« Reply #400 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:22 am »
I've discussed this exact subject many times. A permanent move won't be happening any time soon (and may not even be possible anyway due to the overlapping seasons as the pitch would need to be relayed), but I don't see why a one-off game can't be switched to Anfield. Arsenal currently play the occasional big game at the Emirates. They even do double-headers with the men's first team.

Out of interest, what is the attendance like for the FA Youth Cup games that get played at Anfield?

Pitches are hardly relayed these days - seem to remember hearing recently United had only just relayed their pitch for the first time in 16 years.

I don't think the pitch condition would be a reason not to play them there, or at least the bigger games for now - the cost of opening up the ground and the fact that attendances are only pretty small currently would make it silly to be in a 45k (poss 60k by then) stadium would be more of a reason.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: March 24, 2013, 05:01:23 pm »

Anyone any idea why the club has suddenly invested so much in women's football? The cynic in me thinks its something to do with marketing the club in countries where the sport is more popular with women than it is men but is their another reason?

Well there isn't a country where the sport is more popular with women than men and yes you are being very cynical (no disrespect). John Henry wanted to invest heavily in the women's team and he has. He sees it as an important part of the club for the women's side to be succesful. Kudos to him for it. I think he is a lot nicer guy than a lot of people give credit and I appreciate what he is doing.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2013, 05:19:19 pm »
Well there isn't a country where the sport is more popular with women than men and yes you are being very cynical (no disrespect). John Henry wanted to invest heavily in the women's team and he has. He sees it as an important part of the club for the women's side to be succesful. Kudos to him for it. I think he is a lot nicer guy than a lot of people give credit and I appreciate what he is doing.

Here comes Al...

I'd love to see a game or two at Anfield before a league/cup/european match. Would be great to drum up interest (and atmosphere if we won!)

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2013, 05:51:53 pm »

Don't buy that.

He has allowed heavy investment in the women's team for a reason, and I'm pretty certain it's not because he is a fan of the women's game. There will be a return expected in some way.

I don't think their is anything wrong with that being the reason for investment, investment in that side of the club is investment at the end of the day.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: March 24, 2013, 05:53:41 pm »
It's good for not only the women's team but for Liverpool the club, United States womens footy is so big because they're brilliant, so if we're signing 2 or 3 of their USA team then naturally we will be talked about over there, maybe that's what the owners are going for by targeting a couple of the USA womens team?

Very marketable in the USA and are, y'know, really good... Win win?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2013, 06:02:07 pm »

When you think about it the men had a 9 decades headstart on the women's game, so no wonder they are playing catch up, however yesterday i watched Rangers against Stirling Albion and later the Women's derby game and to second game beat the first on quality and excitement, so they are catching up the mens game in leaps and bounds in my opinion.

We just need to lose the sexist types within the game and on the terraces. Not referring to you by the way!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #406 on: March 24, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »
It's good for not only the women's team but for Liverpool the club, United States womens footy is so big because they're brilliant, so if we're signing 2 or 3 of their USA team then naturally we will be talked about over there, maybe that's what the owners are going for by targeting a couple of the USA womens team?

Very marketable in the USA and are, y'know, really good... Win win?

DaCosta and Engen aren't really mainstays in the national side though. If Liverpool really want to set some markers down, from a playing and a marketing standpoint, then they would be better off signing an Alex Morgan, Abby Wambach (I'd nearly sign her for the men's team!), Hope Solo or Rapinoe. These would be considered marquee signings for the women's team, and would be the equivalent of the men's team signing Messi, Villa, Neuer and Iniesta. Even Marta would be a bit of a coup. If the money is there, then that's where the women's team need to be looking. 
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2013, 06:05:24 pm »
I was one of the 1,432 ish people in attendance last night. It was freezing, so very freezing. Lotta kids which was nice to see. Jill Scott can play, 'sees the game' as they say. A genuinely nice person too.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2013, 06:07:19 pm »
i watched Rangers against Stirling Albion and later the Women's derby game and to second game beat the first on quality and excitement, so they are catching up the mens game in leaps and bounds in my opinion.

Similar to the women's Six Nations. Ireland's final game with Italy was played in pretty awful conditions, and it was great to watch. Nobody complaining about the state of the pitch at scrum time, nobody kicking away possession every 15 seconds, just a good, honest game of rugby. Two teams out to keep ball in hand, and score tries. The game 6-3 to Ireland, but was enjoyable to watch, for such a low scoring game.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #409 on: March 24, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »
DaCosta and Engen aren't really mainstays in the national side though. If Liverpool really want to set some markers down, from a playing and a marketing standpoint, then they would be better off signing an Alex Morgan, Abby Wambach (I'd nearly sign her for the men's team!), Hope Solo or Rapinoe. These would be considered marquee signings for the women's team, and would be the equivalent of the men's team signing Messi, Villa, Neuer and Iniesta. Even Marta would be a bit of a coup. If the money is there, then that's where the women's team need to be looking.

I expect they are thinking one step at a time. No point signing one or two stars in a team of crap!

Maybe we will see the rebuilding of the squad as they are doing now, and then in the future some top signings as you mentioned.

That'll really be the signal of their intentions.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: March 24, 2013, 07:35:08 pm »
This whole thing is getting really bizarre now. The difference between the first half of this thread and the second half is crazy. How do you even go from discussing consecutive bottom of the table finishes to discussing the likelihood of one day signing Alex Morgan and co. in the space of six months?

I'm not even used to seeing us score...
The possibility of winning silverware this season and what may come in the future is very hard to get my head around. Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one struggling with this new found optimism.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:58 pm »
This whole thing is getting really bizarre now. The difference between the first half of this thread and the second half is crazy. How do you even go from discussing consecutive bottom of the table finishes to discussing the likelihood of one day signing Alex Morgan and co. in the space of six months?

The possibility of winning silverware this season and what may come in the future is very hard to get my head around. Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one struggling with this new found optimism.

It's amazing what a bit of upper level support and investment can do though, eh? And the WSL might be a better attraction to the NWSL for the American players because with a club like Liverpool, it is more likely that their contracts will be more robust than they have been in the USA. The big problem for American professional womens football is that the teams aren't tied to the MLS clubs, so they don't have that infrastructure like a youth team does, to keep them afloat week-to-week and month-to-month - so coming to a club like Liverpool would be a big thing for some of them. Also, the lure of the Womens Champions League would be great, too.

But there are good times in Liverpool Ladies future I think.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: March 24, 2013, 08:06:18 pm »
Always used to keep an eye out to how they were doing and they always seemed to be at the bottom of the league so well done to everyone involved for getting them into a position to challenge for honours

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »

Just you wait. Soon there will be a thread called "song for Rolser/Billson/DaCosta"  8)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #414 on: March 24, 2013, 09:31:42 pm »
Just you wait. Soon there will be a thread called "song for Rolser/Billson/DaCosta"  8)

You'll know the Ladies team has made it when their player threads are banned!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #415 on: March 24, 2013, 09:35:25 pm »
You'll know the Ladies team has made it when their player threads are banned!
I'm kinda hoping we can run individual threads for individual WSL games, like we have for the EPL games. Clearly we're some way away from mirroring the style but I hope we can have pre-match preview, analysis, comment (if not actual commentary from a select few) and post-match review separate from this thread.

I'd still advocate the (*) tag and would hope for the initial stages to leave the threads open during games - just an idea - any thoughts? It seems we still have some way to go before we can stamp out all the idiocy surrounding women's football but it takes time.....

So maybe we can say the team has made it when we have to lock match threads during games ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:37:02 pm by 24/7 »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: March 24, 2013, 09:37:54 pm »
I'm kinda hoping we can run individual threads for individual WSL games, like we have for the EPL games. Clearly we're some way away from mirroring the style but I hope we can have pre-match preview, analysis, comment (if not actual commentary from a select few) and post-match review separate from this thread.

I'd still advocate the (*) tag and would hope for the initial stages to leave the threads open during games - just an idea - any thoughts? It seems we still have some way to go before we can stamp out all the idiocy surrounding women's football but it takes time.....

I already took notes on yesterday's game (I do it for most games I watch), and I was going to write something up and post it for the game, but I need to watch it again to go over some things I'm not sure of, and I can't find highlights anywhere (I have to watch a game at least 3 times to catch everything I'm not sure of). If there are downloads of the games afterwards, I'd be happy to contribute analysis if there's a call for it, whenever I can.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #417 on: March 24, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »

So maybe we can say the team has made it when we have to lock match threads during games ;D

You should be banned just for typing EPL ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: March 24, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »
You should be banned just for typing EPL ;)
We are appealing to a more diverse readership ;) We don't have to tell 'em it actually stands for Extremely Profitable Lottery!

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: March 24, 2013, 10:12:08 pm »
Too many drawers is the problem
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2013, 07:59:43 pm »
I think - and hope - you mean "draws".

Anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21823189

Copy/paste doesn't work too well! It's an interesting review/rundown of each team ahead of the start of the WSL.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2013, 11:20:19 pm »

Your wish is my command Harinder my good man  ;)

Do I get an award for writing the first song?

Lillie Fenlon-Billson

Kick off at eight, you can't be late
For Lillie Fenlon-Billson, she won't wait.

Lillie Fenlon-Billson, her work's never done, she'll always score one or two.
It flies in the net, like Tim Howard's Tourettes, whenever she's put through.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HG7woCQkGUw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HG7woCQkGUw</a>

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2013, 11:25:50 pm »

One rule for the women and one for the men eh is it? Racist. There'll be a gang of us (well me and Chopper at the very least) sitting outside Anfield burning our Y-Fronts singing "All We Are Saying, Is Give Peace In-Game Threads A Chance" if this clear inequality continues.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2013, 11:28:36 pm »
One rule for the women and one for the men eh is it? Racist. There'll be a gang of us (well me and Chopper at the very least) sitting outside Anfield burning our Y-Fronts singing "All We Are Saying, Is Give Peace In-Game Threads A Chance" if this clear inequality continues.
Haha ;)

Seriously though, I'm not convinced we'll get the same commitment to commentary on the women's games as we get for the men's - yet! But if there are any volunteers willing to offer commentary whilst following live ESPN coverage, then I want to hear from you :wave

(ANYTHING to prevent the sight of macca and co burning their briefs and chanting masculinist chants outside Anfield :o )

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:33 am »
The only problem with commentary threads is that ESPN show a live game once in a blue moon, and it won't always be us. Commentary would basically be a copy and paste job from whichever twitter account happens to be live tweeting updates. And sometimes those tweets will be no more than the score update.

To do commentary properly we'd probably need a RAWK commentator actually at the game. I'll volunteer... if somebody swings it so that I can sit in a box and get access to the stadium's wifi  ;)

Oh, and Macca and co can keep their drawers on please and thank you.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: March 28, 2013, 04:27:34 pm »
Just to help things along with this thread and keep it on the front page :)

The first game I managed to see of the Liverpool Ladies, and while the technical standard was impossible to get to a high level on an icy pitch, it was a game that was reasonably exciting, tactically interesting, and also very encouraging for the future. Matt Beard was clearly brought in to do a job and he looks like he will do a very good one on this showing. The only disappointing thing in this game, apart from the early injury to Bronze, is that it probably deserved more goals on each side that would have capped off what was an encouraging performance from the Reds, and bodes well for the future.

Everton’s System –

Everton played a lot like the Men’s first team, with a nominal 4-3-3 that was effectively a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Kane (18) holding in front of the back four, and Hinnigan and Scott playing in front and tracking back. This allowed the fullbacks, Jones and Greenwood (2 and 3) to get forward without sacrificing coverage in the back. They didn’t push both fullbacks on simultaneously, though, and instead played more traditionally, leaving Kane a simple covering job on the strong side of the ball. Duggan played the target role up front, with Parris and Chaplen flanking (17 and 12), with Parris especially mobile in her defensive duties and also pushing forward in support of Duggan. There was a lot of mobility on the right side of the field for Everton, and some good combinations, with Chaplen balancing out the opposite side with good width and directness in attack. Of the two central defenders, Johnson tended to sweep back more than Nelson.

Liverpool’s System –

Liverpool played a more dedicated 4-3-3 than Everton, although it did end up more like a 4-2-3-1 most of the time, such was the attrition in the midfield battle for both teams. The midfield played in a “2-1” formation, with Omarsdottir and Williams holding the middle and DaCosta playing in front, supporting the forward line. Fors played as the target, with Dowie on the left and Rolser on the right.  Schroder as left back was able to get forward in support o the attacks, while Bronze, being subbed out early due to injury, didn’t get a chance to really display her attacking qualities, although Easton did a very solid job when she came on, repelling and redirecting attacks in an unfussy manner. Bonner and Engen held the centre well, but if there is a drive to make the club philosophy a One-Club philosophy, then the Liverpool central defenders didn’t display the same tendency to split in key situations on possession as the men’s defenders do, although this might be based on the tendencies of the womens game rather than anything related to the overall philosophy. Quantrill did a good job in goal, but again, distribution-wise, there was less of a connection between how the womens team distribute the ball from the keeper and how the men’s team do the same. In the second half, DaCosta’s positioning seemed to change to bring her more to the right of the field, but overall she reacted to the space that was created and had a good game looking for the ball and trying to create patterns of attack. Williams was solid in the middle and Fors and Dowie were quite effective in their ability to drive forward.

The Midfield Battle –

The game was quite a slow game, and at times was a bit of a slog, but there are a few reasons why that was so – firstly, the conditions were terrible for any team to attempt to play any kind of decent football on. Secondly, the womens game has a natural tendency to be more direct than the men’s game, with the ability to strike fast and early important to the tactical plan of any womens team (see University of North Carolina under Dorrance for the epitome of skilful direct play in the womens game as an example – also the US Women’s team throughout their history). However, what also held back any kind of fluidity in the attacking game of both teams was that their midfield shape essentially cancelled each other out. Everton’s “1-2” was in direct opposition to Liverpool’s “2-1”, and without the sure footing to be able to play around the players, or to beat the central midfielders 1v1 (a skill DaCosta is quite adept at), it became somewhat of a stalemate in the middle of the field:

This midfield stalemate also led to stalemate elsewhere, with the back four of each team able to outnumber their attackers by one player, giving them adequate cover. It is no surprise that a set play or restart was going to be important in the search for the first goal, and so it was with the penalty. That Everton went on to equalise from a free kick was again just symptomatic of the difficulty to get any flowing football from either team in quite bad conditions for any sort of technical play. That both teams managed to make a god spectacle of it regardless, is to both of their credits.

Outlook –

From this showing, it would be hard to predict anything for the Liverpool Ladies team, based on the conditions and the hype surrounding any derby game. On the other hand, though, there was clear evidence that the team and players mean business, and they have something of a plan to get to where they want to go. More players like DaCosta, Engen, Dowie and Fors, to name but a few, and they will do quite well in the WSL – but they are up against established teams with greater chemistry, and expecting too much, too soon, would not be advisable. Progress will be steady, but it will be palpable. This team in a year’s time is capable of playing some really good attacking football, and it will be as much a pleasure to watch as the men’s team is.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #426 on: March 28, 2013, 04:30:11 pm »
I'm surprised the club hasn't decided to put coverage on the official channel, I mean they have really pumped investment into the side so would think they'd want to provide the coverage of it.

Is it Paul R who does the clubs offy site stuff - maybe he will know more or could find out?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: March 28, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »
PoP. Bloody hell! ;D Do that for every game please!

kellan - I agree with you, and the occasional tweets will be ideal cheers. As for accessing the stadium wifi, why not ask them? ;) Or ask the press secretary at LFC Ladies.....PM me if you want help.....

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: March 28, 2013, 06:43:47 pm »
Arsenal have won the league 9 times in a row  :o
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:49:01 pm by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: March 28, 2013, 06:44:27 pm »
Arsenal have won the league 9 times  :o
2 times. Women's Football was only invented two years ago ;D

[/mode cynicaltwat] :wave

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: March 28, 2013, 06:49:56 pm »

;D It's piqued my interest this. Will keep an eye out for the results and try watch some games if there are streams available. Next game's against Sunderland then?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #431 on: March 28, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »

You mean it wasn't invented just this season?!  ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: March 28, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »
You mean it wasn't invented just this season?!  ;D
Now THAT'S cynicism! ;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #433 on: March 28, 2013, 06:56:48 pm »
Maybe it is...  ;D

Anyway, I'm not sure if it has been answered or not, but I'm presuming there is no plan in place for the home games to be on LFC TV like the youth games are these days?

Given the club has invested a fair amount of money I'd of thought this would of been up their for them to do.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: March 28, 2013, 06:59:09 pm »
Anyway, I'm not sure if it has been answered or not, but I'm presuming there is no plan in place for the home games to be on LFC TV like the youth games are these days?
It's a question we can but put to them.......I bet this thread is being monitored......so, TV peeps, what's the story here? :wave

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #435 on: March 28, 2013, 07:00:01 pm »

Techincally you're right Jim. The timing of the WSL was changed so that it because a summer competition rather than a winter competition, which the WPL still is and is still running. Therefore, technically, Arsenal have only won the WSL 2 times whereas they won the WPL 7 times before transferring to the WSL. It's a completely different competition rather than just a renaming :)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »
On the WSL site there are lists of fixtures with a legend for those that are televised, highlights, and tickets. I presume there is a plan in place, from the WSL at least, to stream some games live? They should do that - even charge a £1 per game - it would be another source of revenue, and it would allow us fans of the womens game the chance to support our teams from afar.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #437 on: March 28, 2013, 07:17:38 pm »
Maybe it is...  ;D

Given the club has invested a fair amount of money I'd of thought this would of been up their for them to do.

Hasn't the BBC picked up a broadcast rights package? It might depend on the details of that which games could be shown.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: March 28, 2013, 07:42:51 pm »
On the WSL site there are lists of fixtures with a legend for those that are televised, highlights, and tickets. I presume there is a plan in place, from the WSL at least, to stream some games live? They should do that - even charge a £1 per game - it would be another source of revenue, and it would allow us fans of the womens game the chance to support our teams from afar.
It says 'streamed on FATV' or something to that effect, doesn't it? That's been there since day one and it's never actually happened.

For what it's worth, all the games are already being recorded in full with TV viewing in mind for the ESPN review show. But instead of showing us the full game they cut 87 minutes away and just give us brief highlights. It can't be that hard to find some way of letting us see the whole 90; so I've always assumed the reason they didn't is because nobody has thought to do it or wanted to do it.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: March 28, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »
It says 'streamed on FATV' or something to that effect, doesn't it? That's been there since day one and it's never actually happened.

For what it's worth, all the games are already being recorded in full with TV viewing in mind for the ESPN review show. But instead of showing us the full game they cut 87 minutes away and just give us brief highlights. It can't be that hard to find some way of letting us see the whole 90; so I've always assumed the reason they didn't is because nobody has thought to or wanted to.

I hope it's more of an oversight - they only have to look at viewing figures for USWNT to see there is a market for the womens game, although they'd have to scale it appopriately. Even for the club itself, there should be coverage - at least delayed coverage - that they can show online. If the U18's can get people watching, I'm sure the womens team can too. One shouldn't be vastly more important than the other, imo. They are all part of the club and I think there are enough fans who would want to see them play and do well for streaming or delayed full coverage to be feasible.