Author Topic: Jordan Henderson-Officially a Liverpool player- Discussion  (Read 268855 times)

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
Re: Jordan Henderson-Officially a Liverpool player.
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2011, 07:25:32 am »
What's the number of years on his contract ?

Offline best-foot-forward

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: June 10, 2011, 07:58:31 am »
Welcome Jordan.

Some on here just dont seem to learn, the ink's not even dry on him signing his contract and some kneejerkers on here are questioning his fee, where he's going to play and who is going to replace. These are the same people who for the past seasons have been asking for strength in depth, which this signing now brings, if im honest ive not seen a great deal but i saw him a bit at the beginning of the season and he looked a excellent prospect who looks very comfortable on the ball, from the snippets of interviews i've seen of him he also seems a down to earth lad with his head screwed on who is willing to learn to succeed at the top level.
When other teams have spent big on "squad players" in the past weve sat here in envy wondering why we cant do the same and suggested until we can we wont compete, now we have and some people still moan about who might not play because of him. Its called competition FFS.
Some need to give their head a good wobble !!!

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2011, 08:01:43 am »
OliverKayTimes Oliver Kay
Sunderland saying £19.25m. #LFC saying £16m. Must be £16m with £3.25m add-ons. Ngog in talks with #SAFC over separate deal

So if the talk of £7 million for N'Gog were right then we still could end up effectively signing Henderson for £9 million up front, with £3.25 million in add ons plus N'Gog. Doesn't seem like the massive money transfer it was made out to be earlier.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #243 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:55 am »
I like this signing.

Welcome Jordan.
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2011, 08:08:22 am »
Seem to remember him playing very well as part of a 3 man midfield at Anfield.  They ran circles around us that day, nice neat triangles.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2011, 08:11:35 am »
I am also genuinely sad for Jay and Jonjo , it's pretty much over for them as far as next season is concerned.  Talented young players who could have been really good with game time and experience. I wish them the very best wherever they end up.

And the bollocks about it being a 'squad game' with multiple players competing for limited positions when we are not even in European competition is not something I buy into.There is a difference between having squad depth and turning into Real fucking Madric(but with unproven expensive players as opposed to genuine stars).

why do you feel sorry for anyone in the squad?  they are in the squad on merit, and so is henderson....they will get picked according to the managers opinion of his best team for each game....so if henderson gets picked before shelvey and spearing then he is there cos that is the manager's preferred option.....they are big boys, and i would expect they would relish the opportunity and the challenge an improved competitive squad throws up

as for the squad, depth is important regardless of european football to ensure competition, cover for lack of form and fitness....and how are we turning into real madrid?  one acquisition this summer of a player who is highly rated throughout the country by those in the game, sufficient for him to pick up an england cap at the age of 19, hardly building a team of galacticos or even potential/wannbe galacticos!!

if you don't rate henderson, that is your opinion, the rest of the post was self-serving nonsense....
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #246 on: June 10, 2011, 08:15:32 am »
I do giggle at the obsession that many have of trying to compare players with others.  Sounds like the big time waffling people sometimes do when describing a wine: "The nose is all Carrick, with notes of Beckham, Nutmeg and Peaches, Peaches, Peaches but the punch at the end is all Gerrard."

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: June 10, 2011, 08:17:00 am »
So if the talk of £7 million for Ngog were right then we still could end up effectively signing Henderson for £9 million up front, with £3.25 million in add ons plus Ngog. Doesn't seem like the massive money transfer it was made out to be earlier.
So Comolli is a shrewd negotiator.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: June 10, 2011, 08:18:06 am »
Welcome Jordan!

Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #249 on: June 10, 2011, 08:26:04 am »
why do you feel sorry for anyone in the squad?  they are in the squad on merit, and so is henderson....they will get picked according to the managers opinion of his best team for each game....so if henderson gets picked before shelvey and spearing then he is there cos that is the manager's preferred option.....they are big boys, and i would expect they would relish the opportunity and the challenge an improved competitive squad throws up

as for the squad, depth is important regardless of european football to ensure competition, cover for lack of form and fitness....and how are we turning into real madrid?  one acquisition this summer of a player who is highly rated throughout the country by those in the game, sufficient for him to pick up an england cap at the age of 19, hardly building a team of galacticos or even potential/wannbe galacticos!!

if you don't rate henderson, that is your opinion, the rest of the post was self-serving nonsense....

In your opinion.

Buying a 19 year old midfielder(most of the SAFC fans were ecstatic at the price and are not shedding any tears over his departure) from a bog standard average team with one international cap and nil Euro experience for a steep price is not what I call 'sensible' policy. I couldn't care less what you think , I have made myself very clear.

I rate him , yes , but only slightly more than Spearing and Shelvey who would have been first teamers in that shite Sunderland team. 

What I think doesn't matter but please don't make it sound like we pulled off a fucking coup or something. 'Self serving nonsense' or not , 35 million for Carrol, 20 million for Henderson(in a position that did not need that much attention anyway) is not how we should do business,or at least in my opinion anyway(why we have a forum in the first place ::)).

How much cover do we actually need for 2-3 midfield positions in your opinion? There is something called as 'cohesion' which is very important in team sports of any type.  Gerrard , Lucas , Meireles , Henderson, Adam(possibly), Shelvey  and SPearing for 2-3 positions is not 'depth' , it is 'overkill'. 

Not my money anyway so it doesn't matter. What matters is the future successes/failures. We will see.  I would simply LOVE to be proven wrong and made to eat humble pie of course. We'll find out in a years time anyway.
Phuk yoo

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: June 10, 2011, 09:00:09 am »
In your opinion.

Buying a 19 year old midfielder(most of the SAFC fans were ecstatic at the price and are not shedding any tears over his departure) from a bog standard average team with one international cap and nil Euro experience for a steep price is not what I call 'sensible' policy. I couldn't care less what you think , I have made myself very clear.

I rate him , yes , but only slightly more than Spearing and Shelvey who would have been first teamers in that shite Sunderland team. 

What I think doesn't matter but please don't make it sound like we pulled off a fucking coup or something. 'Self serving nonsense' or not , 35 million for Carrol, 20 million for Henderson(in a position that did not need that much attention anyway) is not how we should do business,or at least in my opinion anyway(why we have a forum in the first place ::)).

How much cover do we actually need for 2-3 midfield positions in your opinion? There is something called as 'cohesion' which is very important in team sports of any type.  Gerrard , Lucas , Meireles , Henderson, Adam(possibly), Shelvey  and SPearing for 2-3 positions is not 'depth' , it is 'overkill'. 

Not my money anyway so it doesn't matter. What matters is the future successes/failures. We will see.  I would simply LOVE to be proven wrong and made to eat humble pie of course. We'll find out in a years time anyway.

God help RAWK if we sign Adam or any other midfielder this window.
Especially if they're young and expensive.
People like you will go berserk.

Errr, welcome Jordan, YNWA

Offline sat

• urday's my half day off, and off to the match I go
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: June 10, 2011, 09:10:27 am »
Welcome lad looking forward to seeing you next season..

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:34 am »
Us: Gerrard , Lucas , Meireles , Henderson, Adam(possibly), Shelvey  and Spearing
United: Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson, Cleverly, Giggs, Jones (Has and can play in midfield) New signing Modric? Nasri? Whoever.
Chelsea: Lampard, Essien, Ramires, Benayoun, Mikel, Josh McEachran, New signing?
City: Michael Johnson, James Milner, Barry, De Jong, Yaya Toure, Vieira, Silva, Weiss, (some will be sold but guarenteed they will be replaced probably by someone better)

It's about options people and the ability to rotate and change how the team plays week in week out depending on the opposition we are playing.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #253 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:42 am »
Welcome to heaven Jordan !!!

:scarf

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2011, 09:21:34 am »
In your opinion.

depends what you call sensible.......that is a matter of opinion, but the policy "appears" to be one devised and being pursued by the club, regardless of what anyone else thinks.....now surely that is a positive thing....the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so it is way to early to decide if it is the correct policy, but it is a definite step in the right direction, the club pulling in one way and carrying out its policy with intent....an improvement on our previous operations in the market where we have consistently failed to carry out any policy with any cohesion or level of success (that is despite benitez' best efforts, other elements within the club have always made the task impossible)
i never said we have pulled off a major coup, merely completed a signing we appear to have identified as important, again, a massive improvement on our previous dealings.....the cost, and assessment of the player are not the relevant points here, that is comolli's and dalglish's job - identify targets and get them as quickly and effectively as possible within the financial constraints placed on them by the board, who are there to support and control the management in their spending plans

you say 2-3 positions, but shelvey, spearing and henderson are all young developing players and as such should not be expected to be the fulcrum of a midfield, especially when you have established internationals in gerrard, lucas and meireles in the mix too...they will play plenty of games between them through selection and injury.....and generally it is widely accpted that having 2 players for each position is an appropriate level of squad numbers....so not sure why there would be a negative impact on cohesion, these players should be competing to better one another by carrying out what is effectively the manager's requirements and all appear to have the qualities that fit into pass and move.....also, i doubt we are just buying a player just cos he is promising and young and english....i would expect that we are buying him cos he has a role to play in the squad

and that is the point, how we go in the future will be down to the management team, they are being backed in their plans and therefore have every opportunity to compete and succeed if this support and execution continues

Offline stjohns

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2011, 09:22:50 am »
Us: Gerrard , Lucas , Meireles , Henderson, Adam(possibly), Shelvey  and Spearing
United: Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson, Cleverly, Giggs, Jones (Has and can play in midfield) New signing Modric? Nasri? Whoever.
Chelsea: Lampard, Essien, Ramires, Benayoun, Mikel, Josh McEachran, New signing?
City: Michael Johnson, James Milner, Barry, De Jong, Yaya Toure, Vieira, Silva, Weiss, (some will be sold but guarenteed they will be replaced probably by someone better)

It's about options people and the ability to rotate and change how the team plays week in week out depending on the opposition we are playing.

Couldn't agree more.
Could I just add that it's also about the team not being weakened by injuries.
Kenny will play systems that everyone is happy with.
Just like the old days

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2011, 09:26:15 am »

How much cover do we actually need for 2-3 midfield positions ...? There is something called  'cohesion' which is very important in team sports of any type.  Gerrard , Lucas , Meireles , Henderson, Adam(possibly), Shelvey  and Spearing for 2-3 positions is not 'depth' , it is 'overkill'. 

I think that Henderson will be fine - but you put the argument against well. Every transfer is an gamble, some you win, some you lose, lets not get too high, or too low, over any individual deal.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2011, 09:43:41 am »
depends what you call sensible.......that is a matter of opinion, but the policy "appears" to be one devised and being pursued by the club, regardless of what anyone else thinks.....now surely that is a positive thing....the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so it is way to early to decide if it is the correct policy, but it is a definite step in the right direction, the club pulling in one way and carrying out its policy with intent....an improvement on our previous operations in the market where we have consistently failed to carry out any policy with any cohesion or level of success (that is despite benitez' best efforts, other elements within the club have always made the task impossible)i never said we have pulled off a major coup, merely completed a signing we appear to have identified as important, again, a massive improvement on our previous dealings.....the cost, and assessment of the player are not the relevant points here, that is comolli's and dalglish's job - identify targets and get them as quickly and effectively as possible within the financial constraints placed on them by the board, who are there to support and control the management in their spending plans
you say 2-3 positions, but shelvey, spearing and henderson are all young developing players and as such should not be expected to be the fulcrum of a midfield, especially when you have established internationals in gerrard, lucas and meireles in the mix too...they will play plenty of games between them through selection and injury.....and generally it is widely accpted that having 2 players for each position is an appropriate level of squad numbers....so not sure why there would be a negative impact on cohesion, these players should be competing to better one another by carrying out what is effectively the manager's requirements and all appear to have the qualities that fit into pass and move.....also, i doubt we are just buying a player just cos he is promising and young and english....i would expect that we are buying him cos he has a role to play in the squad

and that is the point, how we go in the future will be down to the management team, they are being backed in their plans and therefore have every opportunity to compete and succeed if this support and execution continues

You make some very good points and they are pretty hard to disagree with in all honesty. I guess the aim is to strike a balance between experienced pros and younger players looking to make their mark in the squad and utilise them as per the demands of the situation.

I guess where we disagree is the cost vs benefits associated with buying expensive young  British players for the squad when we could do with more emphasis on developing our own and/or looking for bargains from European leagues. Making a 20 year old English  midfielder with little 'big time' experience your first signing for an amount that could get you some very good , more established but still young players from the continent is basically what I was referring to as 'insensible'. As I said , it is all about cost/risk/benefits and I don't believe the potential benefits outweigh the risk and cost attached to such transfers.

But like you said , it's all about backing the manager and his vision , however unreasonable/insensible that may seem to some(like me) and giving our team the best possible platform to achieve our targets. Whether we will be able to do that or not , only time will tell.  ;)

I guess the fact that I don't rate Henderson as highly as some do on here has clouded my view to some extent as I believe Adam or Holden would have been more cost effective and proven solutions to the squad 'conundrum'. ;)
I think that Henderson will be fine - but you put the argument against well. Every transfer is an gamble, some you win, some you lose, lets not get too high, or too low, over any individual deal.

Thank you , at least you understand what I was trying to get at.  :)
Phuk yoo

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2011, 09:56:30 am »
i made the point in another thread that price becomes irrelevant once it is paid....and in terms of the policy being carried out, it's relative success will be determined by the trophies in the cabinet...not the balance sheet, making any cost/benefit analysis pointless.....you said previously that the squad is becoming unbalanced, but now you are suggesting we would have been better off with adam or holden.....that is as maybe, but the management decided who they wanted, and got who they wanted
I guess the fact that I don't rate Henderson as highly as some do on here has clouded my view to some extent as I believe Adam or Holden would have been more cost effective and proven solutions to the squad 'conundrum'. ;)
Thank you , at least you understand what I was trying to get at.  :)
if you do not like the policy, then what is it you do not like?  or is it purely that you believe there are players you would suggest are better suited to our needs?

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2011, 10:04:08 am »
seems like a good lad with a positive sensible attitude... welcome to LFC

Offline liverpool_21

• Main Stander
« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:25 am »
This would certainly mean Aqua's on his way out. Would've loved to have given him a chance under King Kenny.
Regardless, welcome Henderson!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #261 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:30 am »
i made the point in another thread that price becomes irrelevant once it is paid....and in terms of the policy being carried out, it's relative success will be determined by the trophies in the cabinet...not the balance sheet, making any cost/benefit analysis pointless.....you said previously that the squad is becoming unbalanced, but now you are suggesting we would have been better off with adam or holden.....that is as maybe, but the management decided who they wanted, and got who they wantedif you do not like the policy, then what is it you do not like?  or is it purely that you believe there are players you would suggest are better suited to our needs?

I said that central midfield positions were not our biggest priority , but if we had to buy someone to add to the squad , we would be better off with a player who adds something that we lacked and at a lower outlay(meaning lesser risk). That is why I suggested Adam because of his long range passing ability and vision to create from deeper positions and Holden because of his versatility and passing ability and the fact that he is capable enough to cover for Lucas if/when needed purely as a defensive midfielder.  Squad Balance is the phrase I prefer using.

Let me make this clear , I do not like the 'policy' of spending big money for players who are probably going to play a squad/rotation type role. Adam/ Holden would presumably have been a lot cheaper due to obvious reasons while adding something unique to the squad.

If I had a choice , I wouldn't have made CM a priority and spend big for that position , especially considering that positions such as LB and wings need sorting out urgently. I know its not an either/or situation but allocating relatively large resources for a relatively low priority position is not 'sensible'. Having too many players for limited positions is not 'sensible' when other areas of the squad are threadbare and will probably eat up a good amount of funds to strengthen.

Unless we have an endless pipeline of cash coming in that is.
Phuk yoo

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: June 10, 2011, 10:24:06 am »
I said that central midfield positions were not our biggest priority , but if we had to buy someone to add to the squad , we would be better off with a player who adds something that we lacked and at a lower outlay(meaning lesser risk). That is why I suggested Adam because of his long range passing ability and vision to create from deeper positions and Holden because of his versatility and passing ability and the fact that he is capable enough to cover for Lucas if/when needed purely as a defensive midfielder.  Squad Balance is the phrase I prefer using.
this is just a matter of opinion, your opinion to be specific....fine with that, but everyone has an opinion, but kd, dc, sc and sl appear to have determined henderson is the player our squad needs in terms of midfield
Let me make this clear , I do not like the 'policy' of spending big money for players who are probably going to play a squad/rotation type role. Adam/ Holden would presumably have been a lot cheaper due to obvious reasons while adding something unique to the squad.

If I had a choice , I wouldn't have made CM a priority and spend big for that position , especially considering that positions such as LB and wings need sorting out urgently. I know its not an either/or situation but allocating relatively large resources for a relatively low priority position is not 'sensible'. Having too many players for limited positions is not 'sensible' when other areas of the squad are threadbare and will probably eat up a good amount of funds to strengthen.

Unless we have an endless pipeline of cash coming in that is.
again, your opinion on the quality of the player here and what he brings to the squad, there is no indication whatsoever as yet that we are not equally focussed on a left back and a wide player, merely that we got this deal done quickly....we appear to have made a bid for a full-back, displaying that we have identified targets and are pursuing them.....the problem with your take is that it assumes everyone waits for us to decide what we do, and we can only work on one deal at a time......i would expect we have identified multiple targets, determined priorities in terms of timing and fee allocation etc, and would expect that buying henderson fitted in with that....if it turns out that all we have done is look at buying henderson and now we are going to think about what/who we need next the i am with you.....i doubt that is how we are doing business though

• Anny Roader
« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2011, 10:30:11 am »
In your opinion.

so you think our buying policy should be that we only deal with top clubs and not "bog standard" ones. Which masses of sunderland fans have you spoke to ? your talking rubbish mate, opinion is one thing, gibberish is another...

• Anny Roader
« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2011, 10:31:58 am »

at what point was the argument put over well ?? :butt . Are you the same person ?

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2011, 10:40:38 am »
Fucking hell the media keep banging on about the size of the fee but at the moment it's £2m less than United paid for Carrick and that was 5 years ago. Wankers.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2011, 10:41:22 am »
Can't believe we just signed Katie Price at least now we will have two ballons to plant in sunderlands 6 yard box the next time we play them.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #267 on: June 10, 2011, 10:47:10 am »
Welcome and good luck Mr. Henderson.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #268 on: June 10, 2011, 10:49:24 am »
this is just a matter of opinion, your opinion to be specific....fine with that, but everyone has an opinion, but kd, dc, sc and sl appear to have determined henderson is the player our squad needs in terms of midfieldagain, your opinion on the quality of the player here and what he brings to the squad, there is no indication whatsoever as yet that we are not equally focussed on a left back and a wide player, merely that we got this deal done quickly....we appear to have made a bid for a full-back, displaying that we have identified targets and are pursuing them.....the problem with your take is that it assumes everyone waits for us to decide what we do, and we can only work on one deal at a time......i would expect we have identified multiple targets, determined priorities in terms of timing and fee allocation etc, and would expect that buying henderson fitted in with that....if it turns out that all we have done is look at buying henderson and now we are going to think about what/who we need next the i am with you.....i doubt that is how we are doing business though

Most of us use this forum to express our opinions mate and I happen to believe that allocating a significant sum on a non priority position(again , my opinion as you said) from finite resources(logical assumption I would think) will reduce our options in terms of pursuing targets for other more pressing positions(repeating it again , just my opinion).

If Kenny/DC have already identified which players he wants for different positions and the breakup of funds in acquiring those targets, I am fine with that.  If buying Henderson does not affect the resources we can use to pursue players for positions such as LB , CB and Wings , I have no issues. But I have doubts about that , hence my trepidation at this particular signing. At the end of the day none of us now.  But we do need something to discuss right? ;)
Phuk yoo

Offline larrylimestreet

• Kopite
« Reply #269 on: June 10, 2011, 10:51:51 am »
Young North East lad, wont mind the cold, and will be ready for English football - more please - welcome
to the greatest football club on earth Jordan. Play with real pride in the jersey - every game - and you will
be loved by legions of Red fanatics all over the planet...

Offline Gol

• Kemlynite
  • Pass, Pass, Pass, Gol.
« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2011, 10:53:36 am »
More Importantly:

What shirt number will he get? Wore 10 at Sunderland. For me this is everything, if he gets 13 we may as well just not play him.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2011, 10:54:23 am »
Hope its 10

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:04 am »
In your opinion.

- Henderson is 20, not 19 and in fact turns 21 in a weeks time
- Henderson has more than twice the prem experience as Shelvey and Spearing put together.  He's been an integral part of Sunderlands first team for the last couple of years.  Shelvey and Spearing are being worked into the team, but are right now a long way behind Henderson
- £20m for henderson is a figure plucked out of the air.  It's highly unlikely to be this much and may be a smaller fee with appearance/success bonuses attached.
- How many times do we have to explain that Henderson plays on both the right and in the centre?  It may be that the centre is his future, but given our massive weakness on the wings we now ha ve a player who can work for us there, or slot into the centre.  Also, it may be that Shelvey is to be sent out on loan to gain more first team experience.  Again, I rate the lad, but he isn't there yet and we have a big season ahead of us.
- I agree that what matters is the future success/failure which is why reading all these "concerned" posts before anyone has given the lad a proper chance is frustrating.

There will be good and bad signings but right now the "regime" has a clean slate.  I prefer to judge after a few balls have been kicked rather than attack the policy at the first opportunity.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #273 on: June 10, 2011, 11:18:34 am »
wonder what number hell get?

11 is free isnt it
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline deadlybuzz

• Vuvuzela queen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #274 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:16 am »
Fucking hell the media keep banging on about the size of the fee but at the moment it's £2m less than United paid for Carrick and that was 5 years ago. Wankers.

I think Sky's attitude about it all is over our expensive purchasing of young players, Carrick was in his twenties when United wasted that money on him.
Ahh, pressing refresh and waiting for news... just like the bad old days.

Liverpool porn, this.

anyone who's negative can fuck off

Offline stjohns

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: June 10, 2011, 11:37:48 am »
I think Sky's attitude about it all is over our expensive purchasing of young players, Carrick was in his twenties when United wasted that money on him.

Yeah but have they had a pop at utd for spending the same/more on a 19 year-old?
Have they fuck as like.
More like whiskeyface has made a brilliant, incisive raid from under our noses.

Offline tinkertailor

• ...Beggarman. Thief!
  • Kopite
« Reply #276 on: June 10, 2011, 11:38:17 am »
Belatedly, welcome Jordan!

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: June 10, 2011, 11:57:07 am »
Most of us use this forum to express our opinions mate and I happen to believe that allocating a significant sum on a non priority position(again , my opinion as you said) from finite resources(logical assumption I would think) will reduce our options in terms of pursuing targets for other more pressing positions(repeating it again , just my opinion).

If Kenny/DC have already identified which players he wants for different positions and the breakup of funds in acquiring those targets, I am fine with that.  If buying Henderson does not affect the resources we can use to pursue players for positions such as LB , CB and Wings , I have no issues. But I have doubts about that , hence my trepidation at this particular signing. At the end of the day none of us now.  But we do need something to discuss right? ;)

Surely thats the point though, even though you are saying its in your opinion, it would appear from the signing, that KD, DC, SC priority was signing Henderson. They are the ones that set the agenda and then priorities the list. It may also be the case that no where near the fee bandied about is going to change hands, and that we moved quickly on Henderson for the simple reason of circumstance. And even if funds are as you say Finite( perfectly logical assumption) With out knowing what FSG are prepared to spend, exactly who the other targets are or the circumstances around those potential transfers, how can anyone decide anything about the henderson deal.

Then we come to the relative abilities of him as a footballer. KD, DC and others with in our club are much better placed to decide the cost benefits of a signing, they have all the facts for a start. You, with all due respect, have none of the facts and i would gues no proven track record in picking talented footballers. By all means have faith in your own judgement, but i tend to have greater faith inKD and DC than i do in my judgement.

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #278 on: June 10, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »
More Importantly:

What shirt number will he get? Wore 10 at Sunderland. For me this is everything, if he gets 13 we may as well just not play him.

Uhhh w00t? ???
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #279 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »

Gotta lov'em eh?

As other people have said as well, the attitude that JH seems to have is a real plus. And from what Fordy says (and I believe him), the fact that he will have a very positive influence on AC is just another added bonus. We seem to have signed a very ambitious and level-headed character.
The rose tinted specs are probably on, but there's something about this piece of the jigsaw puzzle that clicks neatly into place.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."