Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3456140 times)

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Re: General Manchester City thread
« Reply #16360 on: July 14, 2017, 12:40:00 am »
Walker is a decent player, nothing more. More capable than Clyne but there isn't much in it. There's no justifying that fee for a full back. It's crazy.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16361 on: July 14, 2017, 10:51:52 am »
Walker is a decent to good level player made to look excellent by Poch's setup. Hopefully he's back to his lesser guise under Pep's innovations.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #16362 on: July 14, 2017, 01:36:28 pm »
Walker is a decent to good level player made to look excellent by Poch's setup. Hopefully he's back to his lesser guise under Pep's innovations.
When there are already question marks hanging over your defensive recruitment Kyle Walker is not the player I'd opt to sign. Especially not for that fee.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16363 on: July 14, 2017, 04:31:19 pm »
When there are already question marks hanging over your defensive recruitment Kyle Walker is not the player I'd opt to sign. Especially not for that fee.
But who then? I am genuinely asking because Barca have been struggling to replace Dani Alves with a top quality CB.

World football has about 2-3 of them, not counting Alves himself, who is frankly too old for a lengthy contract and wages he wants. Carvajal is probably the best, none of ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, ManCity and Liverpool have a world class RB.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16364 on: July 14, 2017, 04:35:28 pm »
But who then? I am genuinely asking because Barca have been struggling to replace Dani Alves with a top quality CB.

World football has about 2-3 of them, not counting Alves himself, who is frankly too old for a lengthy contract and wages he wants. Carvajal is probably the best, none of ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, ManCity and Liverpool have a world class RB.
I agree that there is a scarcity of quality full backs in the game in general. I just wouldn't want Walker in my team even if he coat a fifth of that sum.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16365 on: July 14, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »
Ł50m for walker

Madness even in today's market he's not even that good.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16366 on: July 14, 2017, 05:58:10 pm »

For Guardiola's setup, probably Bellerin. Although I really like Cedric, who might be an even better fit.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16367 on: July 14, 2017, 08:07:15 pm »
Ł50m for walker

Madness even in today's market he's not even that good.

My first reaction was actually a little depressed that this is what the beautiful game has turned in to.  Ł50m for a bang average right back with a bit of pace in him.

Just shows that the City owners' attempt to buy the CL has taken a more desperate edge to it, they know Guardiola is a 'short project' guy.  If they don't drop serious money wherever he needs it, they can kiss goodbye to both the manager, and start another rebuilding job..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:08:47 pm by Ashburton »

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16368 on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:27 pm »
It's mental they are selling Iheanacho. Probably one of the best 20 year olds in the world.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16369 on: July 14, 2017, 10:15:32 pm »
For Guardiola's setup, probably Bellerin. Although I really like Cedric, who might be an even better fit.

Given how heavily Barca were linked with him, I desperately wanted Bellerin to succeed and imagine impress. Unfortunately, he is just nowhere near good enough. He can run alright, nothing else is impressive from him. Was happy with Barca's decision not to sign him.

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #16370 on: July 15, 2017, 05:33:34 am »
Walker is a decent player, nothing more. More capable than Clyne but there isn't much in it. There's no justifying that fee for a full back. It's crazy.

It's easily justified actually. Outside of the fact that since last season your average transfer has sky-rocketed there are a ton of other factors.

First of all they are buying from a direct rival which is almost enough in and of itself.

Second as mentioned good fullbacks are scarce and Walker at the very least has been the best RB in the league ( I think the best in the league, but I am a Spurs fan so bound to be at least a little bias there) so it ups the price again.

Third it is a position that is widely known to be a huge need for City, one of the most glaring decifencies in their team and they had already missed out on their top target Alves.

Fourth, they need home-grown players and ones that can actually contribute. Not ones like Rodwell and shit who are literally there for the sole purpose of filling their quota.

Fifth, they are known to be stacked with money and able to find more at a whim through a new "sponsorship".

Lastly, despite the stadium, we don't need to sell. I'm sure it will be nice to fund our transfers with a sale and stick whatever budget we had for them on a loan instead, it's not like if we don't sell we won't be able to afford it.

This is a bad transfer for City because no fullback who has played under Poch has been as good once they left as they were under him. The season Poch came in Rose was hated by most of our fans, genuinely hated. Now he is easily the best left back in the league. I'd say the chance of Walker maintaining his level at City is very low and I hope that doesn't come back to bite me lol.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16371 on: July 15, 2017, 07:24:46 am »

Joao Cancelo would be my choice.

But, you're right, City need a RB, they need him to be English. The best option around is Kyle Walker, so for city it makes perfect sense. I'm of the opinion that Spurs should've held out for more actually.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #16372 on: July 15, 2017, 08:43:27 am »
Financial Fair Play 😂😂😂
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16373 on: July 15, 2017, 09:43:21 am »
Financial Fair Play 😂😂😂
How is that even meant to work again? They introduced those rules and the fees have only got bigger. Now to slink back to the ASSHAT to cheer on our Ł70M tussle for Naby Keita...

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16374 on: July 15, 2017, 10:16:41 am »
Looking at Paul Tomkins transfer inflation index, Walker is actually cheaper than Glenn Johnson.

He works out at around Ł52m

I think it's a fair price, its the market.  Still can't understand why Spurs are selling though
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:19:35 am by We're not signing... »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #16375 on: July 15, 2017, 01:01:11 pm »
Looking at Paul Tomkins transfer inflation index, Walker is actually cheaper than Glenn Johnson.

I think it's a fair price, its the market.  Still can't understand why Spurs are selling though

cos he wanted to leave?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16376 on: July 15, 2017, 01:31:26 pm »
The transfer market in England is bonkers. Swansea have rejected a 40m pounds bid for their player. So if you think about Walker transfer this way, it's understandable. Also, I think ManCity are now FORCED to sign English players, they have almost none in their squad.

Otherwise, it's hard to understand the fee paid. They really, really overpaid.

I can only sympathize with Guardiola. Barca have been looking for a right back, and there aren't many good ones available. Bellerin, who seems like a limited runner, would cost more than 60-70m. And Arsenal don't even want to sell him, he'd be sold only if he forces his way out. The alternative we found is an unproven kid from Benfica. This is not a question of money, there just aren't enough top quality players available for all.

yeah I am sure we all really feel for him  :D
It must be so tough!

Sometimes coaches just have to either make do with what they have for a while and adapt (see Liverpool with Milner last season), or sometimes be a bit more creative in their business. There are other ways. But of course, with an open chequbook the easiest way is just to pay a shit ton of money every time.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16377 on: July 15, 2017, 10:51:50 pm »
yeah I am sure we all really feel for him  :D
It must be so tough!

Sometimes coaches just have to either make do with what they have for a while and adapt (see Liverpool with Milner last season), or sometimes be a bit more creative in their business. There are other ways. But of course, with an open chequbook the easiest way is just to pay a shit ton of money every time.
There are other ways, I agree, but given how impatient the clubs and fans are these days, most managers don't see "other ways" of being successful. Guardiola in his time was an anomaly, no Barca and Madrid manager sold stars and decided to replace them with youth players in recent times, for example.

If a club, media and fans are more accepting, managers will gamble on youth, like Klopp did at Borussia D. However, nowadays, even he is going for $$$ signings. In England, everybody had enough of that (Arsene Wenger) approach. Still though, if a manager came out and said this is his vision, and asked patience from the fans, I think that manager can get 1-2 years. Chelsea had (have?) a lot of talented young players in their academy, however, nobody is willing to bet on them.

PS I disagree with the "other ways" you described, i.e., signing the likes of Milner. To me, that is the worst kind of business that AC Milan have practiced for years and became an average club.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16378 on: July 15, 2017, 11:05:40 pm »

They already have a very good replacement in Trippier, and getting Ł50+ million for a decent fullback is always a good idea, especially when you are building a new stadium.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16379 on: July 15, 2017, 11:10:33 pm »
I've heard Pochettino and Walker had a few arguments in training and afterwards Pochettino preferred Trippier.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16380 on: July 15, 2017, 11:23:58 pm »
Joao Cancelo would be my choice.

But, you're right, City need a RB, they need him to be English. The best option around is Kyle Walker, so for city it makes perfect sense. I'm of the opinion that Spurs should've held out for more actually.
I think Cancelo is a promising young player but a HUGE gamble. Paco Alcacer looked great at Valencia, too. Remember that Valencia have been relegation contenders, looking a decent young player for a relegation contender means nothing.

I think the talent is there, but after Barca spent so much on Alcacer and got burned, we couldn't simply sign another player from them. Similarly, I am not convinced at all that he would have been a better deal for ManCity. England is a different competition, and it is not like Cancelo would cost much cheaper. I'd imagine Valencia would ask at least 35m+ for him.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16381 on: July 16, 2017, 07:36:16 am »
They're just a bit fucking plastic, aren't they?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #16382 on: July 16, 2017, 09:09:24 am »

And I think we can close the thread there :D

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #16383 on: July 16, 2017, 09:19:09 am »
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-pep-guardiola-contract-13335986

Genius 300m this year almost 200 last, will easily spend a billion in his time there? Wonder if he will ever pick a real challenging job..nah probably Psg next.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16384 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:23 am »
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-pep-guardiola-contract-13335986

Genius 300m this year almost 200 last, will easily spend a billion in his time there? Wonder if he will ever pick a real challenging job..nah probably Psg next.
Barca was challenging to be fair.. not in the way of most clubs, but more than city...

Having Alves, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Mascherano, etc did make things perhaps a little easier though ;D

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16385 on: July 16, 2017, 10:48:06 am »

I will say much more than "a bit"  ;)

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16386 on: July 16, 2017, 11:04:45 am »

This is why English football is so far behind. Attitudes like this to people like Pep Guardiola.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16387 on: July 16, 2017, 12:20:00 pm »
This is why English football is so far behind. Attitudes like this to people like Pep Guardiola.

What attitude, that manager's shouldn't be lauded as a genius just for being able to spend shitloads of money?

He is obviously a great coach, but he is also clearly overhyped too.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16388 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:50 pm »

Or it could be people genuinely think he's managed 3 mega rich clubs, who could and usually would out spend anyone in their respective leagues and most of the time would result in him bagging a ton of trophies. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him as a Liverpool manager, of course I fucking would and would happily walk on broken glass to seal the deal if we were managerless and he were willing to come, but he isn't without his faults and unfortunately the Premier League has a habit of showing them up more than the other leagues he's managed in.

His teams aren't awful defensively as some will have you believe, but they are the weakest part of his game, The Prem is set up well for physical teams who can dominate on set pieces and for teams quick to counter attack. You just have to look at Leicester when they won the league, that was the game plan and it fucking worked to perfection. The attacking spirit that he sends his team out there with is admirable, but it leaves them so exposed. Look at Gini's goal against them at Anfield. They went on the attack and lost the ball, we quickly transitioned the ball wide to Lallana who had lots of time and space to look up and figure out where to cross the ball in to and it was a perfect ball for a late running Gini to dominate Clichy in the air to head it in. They had that sort of problem all year. It's not that the Prem teams are better than the Spanish or German teams, but the way football is traditionally played in this country lends itself to problems for his style of play.

Warning: The above may contain heaps of bullshit to you, that just how I see it haha

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16389 on: July 16, 2017, 05:01:56 pm »
are they really going to try and sign Alexis? Isn't having De Bruyn, Jesus, Aguero, Sané, Silva, Bernado Silva, Sterling enough attacking options for their genius coach?

There comes a point where surely you just think - yeah I think we'll just about manage with these attackers.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16390 on: July 16, 2017, 05:48:58 pm »
are they really going to try and sign Alexis? Isn't having De Bruyn, Jesus, Aguero, Sané, Silva, Bernado Silva, Sterling enough attacking options for their genius coach?

There comes a point where surely you just think - yeah I think we'll just about manage with these attackers.

If they get Alexis I wouldn't be surprised to see Aguero sold.

Not really sure why people criticise the spending so much. He had to build his squad and the team he wants that play how he wants them too. City have the wealth, what's he supposed to says no don't buy players I'll carry on with this old aging squad.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:53:00 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16391 on: July 16, 2017, 06:11:44 pm »
Not really sure why people criticise the spending so much. He had to build his squad and the team he wants that play how he wants them too. City have the wealth, what's he supposed to says no don't buy players I'll carry on with this old aging squad.

Maybe people are under the mistaken impression that such a quality coach should be able to get something out of the previous 500m worth of players that City have bought in recent years and not need to entirely replace almost all of them?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16392 on: July 16, 2017, 06:15:27 pm »

They need recycling
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16393 on: July 16, 2017, 06:17:13 pm »
What attitude, that manager's shouldn't be lauded as a genius just for being able to spend shitloads of money?

He is obviously a great coach, but he is also clearly overhyped too.

Of course he's great,just give him Messi and he will do wonders for you.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16394 on: July 16, 2017, 06:25:56 pm »
Maybe people are under the mistaken impression that such a quality coach should be able to get something out of the previous 500m worth of players that City have bought in recent years and not need to entirely replace almost all of them?

That's not his responsibility.  He would of told City what his aims were and would of assessed the squad to see if he can achieve such as thing with those players. If he doesn't believe they are good enough and his bosses are prepared to let him spend to get who he wants in to replace them then that's what he should do. It was well recognized that the age of the Man City squad needed to come down significantly. If it wasnt Guardiola it would of been someone else who would get a new cycle of players in.

When you say get something out of those players what you do you mean? Win titles, champions leagues?

Online Achilles Heel

• Son of Thetis and Peleus, King of the Myrmidons. Possibly a hick from the Styx.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #16395 on: July 16, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »

6 "Dad's Army" players out of contract all over 30, 5 of them released - Zaba, Clichy, Sagna, Navas, Caballero.  Are you saying he should have offered extensions to them? :)

Nolito, also over 30, gone back to Spain.

In so far Ederson, B Silva and Walker. Mendy in the next couple of days.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16396 on: July 16, 2017, 08:20:13 pm »
I don't think buying Alexis is a good investment for City given their glaring deficiencies in other areas. To be homest, I never thought that Alexis was that good but fair enough he has done well in England. Still, he is mot young and City are stocked in attack.

Now, let me contradict myself by saying that buying a proven quality player is always better than spending a lot on average players. Buying a defender and a midfielder just for the sake of it is not good either, so it is possible that ManCity cannot find god options for RB, LB, CB and midfield positions. They really need to replace Toure.

Whatever happened to Laporte rumors?

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16397 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:56 pm »
I don't think buying Alexis is a good investment for City given their glaring deficiencies in other areas. To be homest, I never thought that Alexis was that good but fair enough he has done well in England. Still, he is mot young and City are stocked in attack.

Now, let me contradict myself by saying that buying a proven quality player is always better than spending a lot on average players. Buying a defender and a midfielder just for the sake of it is not good either, so it is possible that ManCity cannot find god options for RB, LB, CB and midfield positions. They really need to replace Toure.

Don't he suffer a really bad injury last year?

You are right about just signing players for the sake of it. It's why I didn't think they bought full backs last summer as the ones they wanted were not avaliable.

Online Achilles Heel

• Son of Thetis and Peleus, King of the Myrmidons. Possibly a hick from the Styx.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #16398 on: July 16, 2017, 09:47:04 pm »

Laporte did an Alves 12 months ago. All agreed and he changed his mind right at the last minute.

Yaya was great last year against 90% of teams and hence got an extension. He deserved it and on the evidence of last year is more than good enough against the majority of Premier League opposition.

Walker and Mendy were the number 1 targets for RB and LB.  Ideally looking for 2 more and hence the Alves u-turn was a disappointment.

We got a new CB at the back end of last season - Vincent Kompany. He was superb and we finished the season very strongly from a defensive point of view. Obviously his injury record is a big concern.He is good for both Otamendi and Stones. CB still a priority and 1 might come in and in that event there is talk Otamendi will go.

No mention anywhere of interest in another midfielder and I suspect that will be the big signing in 2018 as future replacement for YaYa and Dinho.

There were clear "glaring deficiencies" at times last year. This coming season is a completely different prospect and with the purchases so far the squad is already stronger by some distance than the title winning years in 2012 and 2014. Pep has no excuses for the coming season.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16399 on: July 16, 2017, 09:58:19 pm »
If they get Alexis I wouldn't be surprised to see Aguero sold.

Because City, and Chelsea are a huge part of all that is wrong with the premier league, so I love to hate on then :D And I'm pretty unapologetic about my disdain of what Guardiola is doing there.

And it gets to the point with him and City right now, where I just think - they are spending for the sake of it - IF they bring in Alexis. It's ridiculous.  Go develop some youngsters, go give chances to some players you have already, go do some coaching or something, it's beyond parody at this point with him and City. He'll have likely spent 400 million in two summers by the end of this latest spree. There is no skill in that.