Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3455581 times)

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Manchester City thread
« Reply #16280 on: June 4, 2017, 08:25:20 pm »
Not the likes of Klopp, Pocchettino, Benitez and many other who don't fear jobs where you have to build from scratch with not a lot of money.
I have been a big fan of Benitez since his Valenca days (and ignoring his Madrid stint). Even while he was at Madrid, I felt for him, he was treated like a trash.

With that being said, if you are so black and white in your judgment, then, Benitez utterly failed at a club where he had it all. You shouldn't overrate those perennial midtable coaches who get the job done (not saying your list is that, but you get the point). Every league has about 5-6 of them, who go from Watford to Swansea to Crystal Palace. Or from Osasuna to Granada to Malaga. They may do a good job for those clubs, but there is 0 evidence that they would do well at Barca, Madrid, ManU or ManCity.

Rafa Benitez went to Real Madrid and managed to fall out with just about everybody at Madrid in half a year, and got himself kicked out. The team he left behind has made history winning CL title multiple times. You really have to get your judgment straight. There is no evidence that any of Pochettino, Klopp and Benitez would do as well as Pep, Mourinho etc. have done at big clubs.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #16281 on: June 4, 2017, 08:32:57 pm »
I have been a big fan of Benitez since his Valenca days (and ignoring his Madrid stint). Even while he was at Madrid, I felt for him, he was treated like a trash.

With that being said, if you are so black and white in your judgment, then, Benitez utterly failed at a club where he had it all. You shouldn't overrate those perennial midtable coaches who get the job done (not saying your list is that, but you get the point). Every league has about 5-6 of them, who go from Watford to Swansea to Crystal Palace. Or from Osasuna to Granada to Malaga. They may do a good job for those clubs, but there is 0 evidence that they would do well at Barca, Madrid, ManU or ManCity.

Rafa Benitez went to Real Madrid and managed to fall out with just about everybody at Madrid in half a year, and got himself kicked out. The team he left behind has made history winning CL title multiple times. You really have to get your judgment straight. There is no evidence that any of Pochettino, Klopp and Benitez would do as well as Pep, Mourinho etc. have done at big clubs.

how've you got that from the post you where responding too. He was saying that not all big managers necessarily want to go to the clubs where they are given an open cheque book, unlike Mourinho and Guardiola. And I think that is true although not necessarily to the ones he quoted. But I'm pretty confident in saying that Klopp could have gone to a club with far huger resources than Liverpool many a time over, but he decided to stay with Dortmund though and then when he left he decided he wanted the challenge of Liverpool. But we'll never likely know how he'd do in spain cos he's said he'd only coach in the Premier league or Germany.

I'm sure we'll see one day if Pochettino can make the transition though as it's only a matter of time till he goes back to La Liga, although it of course depends how he does for Spurs and what teams might have openings.

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16282 on: June 4, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »

Benitez won a champions league at a 'big club'

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16283 on: June 4, 2017, 08:35:10 pm »
Pep was right when he said that if he had a season like this for Barca, Bayern or Madrid, he'd be fired. At these clubs, you are a failure even with a narrow, "unlucky" miss. I think worst of them is Bayern, to be honest. They have almost 0 respect for the Bundesliga title, everything is solely judged on CL win or no win at this point, which is ludicrous. Ancelotti was being hyped up until their Madrid match, and after an unlucky loss, immediately, he was seen as worse than Pep by many Bayern fans. How crazy is that? CL is a cup tourney, details matter. Pep's Bayern was also very close to beating Atletico Madrid. So your entire season is judged on some fine details of a given match.

My point is, whilst I am a fan of Klopp and Benitez (not such a fan of Pochettino), it's patently wrong to say that they have it hard. These guys are praised for their achievements. People are understanding and give them a lot more time. Pep or Mourinho get called a failure after 1 season of not winning CL or league title. They are under a lot more pressure. Pochettino did well finishing 2nd but all these years, his teams have been sucking in Europe badly. Nobody seemingly is too critical of him for that. Would anybody be more understanding and forgiving if Klopp, Benitez or Pochettino went to Bayern and didn't win everything in sight in their first season? No, there would be reports leaking that these are small club coaches, big fishes in a small pond, not ready for top clubs etc.

They may do well at Bayern, to be fair, but this is yet to be seen. For now, they are praised for what they are achieving, without all that pressure from media and fans.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16284 on: June 4, 2017, 08:37:31 pm »
how've you got that from the post you where responding too. He was saying that not all big managers necessarily want to go to the clubs where they are given an open cheque book, unlike Mourinho and Guardiola. And I think that is true although not necessarily to the ones he quoted. But I'm pretty confident in saying that Klopp could have gone to a club with far huger resources than Liverpool many a time over, but he decided to stay with Dortmund though and then when he left he decided he wanted the challenge of Liverpool. But we'll never likely know how he'd do in spain cos he's said he'd only coach in the Premier league or Germany.

I'm sure we'll see one day if Pochettino can make the transition though as it's only a matter of time till he goes back to La Liga, although it of course depends how he does for Spurs and what teams might have openings.
We don't know future. Klopp will not always be employed by Liverpool, and he will go wherever he goes. My point is, there seems to be a widespread assumption that these are sure bets because they have proven themselves under a more restrictive environment.

This is a big assumption that is not necessarily true at all.

Now that I think about it, Manuel Pellegrini is the perfect example. He did a marvelous job at Villarreal, almost got them into a CL final with Riquelme. But at Madrid, he really didn't look like he was ready to manage such a big club. Goes back to Malaga and does a superb job yet again, taking them far into CL. Then at ManCity, he still looks like a limited coach not ready to take them to the next level.

I may also add Wenger here  ;D He is a good coach, but is seemingly obsessed with things that are not necessarily tied to "winning". Tony Adams (I think) was right when he said he'd be sacked by Bayern or Madrid in 1 season. They don't give a sh*t about playing pretty football with youngsters and finishing in top 4. Spend, if you must, but win.

Both Mourinho and Pep are showing that they are not happy to be competing for top 4. They both recognize limitations of the squad and are willing to do whatever to win. That's the spirit. I want Barca's new coach, Valverde, to do the same. Spend if you must, get rid of deadwood, but I want to see Barca challenging for titles next season.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 08:44:43 pm by Xxavi »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16285 on: June 4, 2017, 09:40:26 pm »
We don't know future. Klopp will not always be employed by Liverpool, and he will go wherever he goes. My point is, there seems to be a widespread assumption that these are sure bets because they have proven themselves under a more restrictive environment.

Now that I think about it, Manuel Pellegrini is the perfect example. He did a marvelous job at Villarreal, almost got them into a CL final with Riquelme. But at Madrid, he really didn't look like he was ready to manage such a big club. Goes back to Malaga and does a superb job yet again, taking them far into CL. Then at ManCity, he still looks like a limited coach not ready to take them to the next level.

I may also add Wenger here  ;D He is a good coach, but is seemingly obsessed with things that are not necessarily tied to "winning". Tony Adams (I think) was right when he said he'd be sacked by Bayern or Madrid in 1 season. They don't give a sh*t about playing pretty football with youngsters and finishing in top 4. Spend, if you must, but win.

Both Mourinho and Pep are showing that they are not happy to be competing for top 4. They both recognize limitations of the squad and are willing to do whatever to win. That's the spirit. I want Barca's new coach, Valverde, to do the same. Spend if you must, get rid of deadwood, but I want to see Barca challenging for titles next season.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

In Mourinho's case, he needs to first compete for top 4 before he can be unhappy with that. Also disagree fully that spending half a billion pounds every 2-3 seasons is the most logical way to build teams. Not only that most of the money they are spending is just going straight to buying more deadwood.  Sure City can do it, but most other clubs would suffer financially in the long run if they tried it.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #16286 on: June 5, 2017, 12:15:10 am »

Spoilt much. It's attitudes like this that have severely dented my interest in the beautiful game, seems to have fuck all to do with sport and more to do with money. In all of your hyperbole you seem to have forgotten that Benitez won the CL with a pretty ramshackle squad and got to another final two years later with another squad that didn't cost upwards of half a million, as for comparing his time at Real to Pep's achievements i'd say that was a bit unfair given the fact he was sacked after 6 months and Madrid is a circus anyway, i mean isn't this the same club who sacked Carlo Ancellotti after he'd won them their first CL in years.

As for denigrating Manuel Pellegrini well that's just nonsense, do me a favour Xxavi go and check how Pellegrini's first season at City compares to Pep's and tell me you ain't talking trash and as i said above bringing Real Madrid's managerial merry go round into the discussion proves absolutely nothing regarding a manager's abilities.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #16287 on: June 5, 2017, 12:19:20 am »
I am actually so happy that for once Barca board did the right thing and not sign Nolito. Watching him for City was painful, so slow, so indecisive at times.

I remember a few people on here thinking he was great after his first game there. It was always likely a daft signing. Players over the age of 28, who haven't played in the PL before tend to have difficulty adapting.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #16288 on: June 5, 2017, 12:50:15 am »
I don't hate him, I just don't have much respect for him, doesn't mean I don't think he should do the job, he's free to do whatever the hell he wants, but in the same way, doesnt mean everyone has to laud him. Everyone's free to their opinions eh, I am ok with people thinking he's the bees knees too. We just don't have to all agree!

I feel the same way as I do with Mourinho these days, even though Guardiola isn't a wanker like him, so that's why no hate, but I have little respect for either of them.

Pep and Mourinho are like Barca and Madrid. On face value, one of the two looks the more clean, enticing, artistic, honourable, and more pleasing for the neutral, but dig down deep enough and you'll see the reality: they're both sides of the same coin and just one side is shinier than the other. Listening to Eto'o and Abrahimovic speak of their experiences with Pep offers a striking contrast to what many assume Pep is like. Quite frankly I think they're just as thin skinned and petty as one another but we know more of Mourinho than Pep, though in fairness Pep seems to have a line he doesn't cross unlike Mourinho, and Mourinho has more of a victim complex rather than that of a tortured genius.

I look forward to seeing Klopp maintain his impressive record against Pep.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16289 on: June 5, 2017, 03:53:20 am »
I remember a few people on here thinking he was great after his first game there. It was always likely a daft signing. Players over the age of 28, who haven't played in the PL before tend to have difficulty adapting.

It worked out well for them though, Nolito hit the ground running and scored a few goals for them in the first half of the season, then as Sané settled he took over that spot and bossed it in the second half. Now it looks like they'll recoup a decent amount for him too.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16290 on: June 6, 2017, 09:15:28 am »
Looks like they could end up with Walker and Bertrand as their fullbacks next season. Hardly a significant upgrade.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #16291 on: June 6, 2017, 10:01:55 am »
Looks like they could end up with Walker and Bertrand as their fullbacks next season. Hardly a significant upgrade.

I dunno, i'd say both represent precisely that on last season's version of Kolarov/Clichy, and Sagna/Zabaleta.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16292 on: June 6, 2017, 11:21:08 am »

They'll go all out for Mendy for left-back surely?
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #16293 on: June 6, 2017, 11:27:53 am »
They'll go all out for Mendy for left-back surely?

Latest reports are that they've baulked at the £40m asking price and are in talks with Southampton over Bertrand as an alternative.

Might well turn out to be a negotiating ploy though. We'll see.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16294 on: June 6, 2017, 11:47:39 am »
City baulking at fees? Hilarious. It's them that have done more than most to drive fees up.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16295 on: June 6, 2017, 04:08:16 pm »
I would imagine Bertrand would end up costing a similar amount to Mendy given the premium applied to English players.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16296 on: June 6, 2017, 06:05:00 pm »
Isn't Bertrand kind of similar to Clyne, a decent 7/10 guy? I figured Guardiola would want a more glamorous fullback for his attacking style.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16297 on: June 6, 2017, 06:07:24 pm »
Surprised they didnt go for Kolasinac, from what Im hearing , hed be an upgrade on Bertrand.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #16298 on: June 6, 2017, 06:17:54 pm »
Isn't Bertrand kind of similar to Clyne, a decent 7/10 guy? I figured Guardiola would want a more glamorous fullback for his attacking style.
I find it very surprising as well. He needs his fullbacks to have winger qualities in the final third. Bertrand doesn't make much sense for a Pep team imo.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16299 on: June 6, 2017, 06:24:28 pm »

I know a lot of managers in the past have preferred to have one full back more attacking than the other, with the defensive player tucking in to make a back three when the marauding one attacks. Was Guardiola the same at Barca when he used Alves as his attacking full back and Abidal as his more conservative one?

I could be wrong. Worth baring in mind of course that Ryan Bertrand has played (and won) a Champions League final as a left winger, so he probably can offer something in the attacking third.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16300 on: June 6, 2017, 06:25:30 pm »
City baulking at fees? Hilarious. It's them that have done more than most to drive fees up.

We have already discussed this. They don't have unlimited transfer funds.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16301 on: June 6, 2017, 06:28:46 pm »
We have already discussed this. They don't have unlimited transfer funds.

I swear you are doing it on purpose now :lmao

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16302 on: June 6, 2017, 07:12:18 pm »
I find it very surprising as well. He needs his fullbacks to have winger qualities in the final third. Bertrand doesn't make much sense for a Pep team imo.
He destroyed us in the SF 1st leg. I think he's a brilliant attacking full back.

Offline AshLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #16303 on: June 13, 2017, 12:01:07 pm »
Surprised they didnt go for Kolasinac, from what Im hearing , hed be an upgrade on Bertrand.

I wonder why we didn't if you're right....and he's free

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16304 on: June 13, 2017, 12:09:26 pm »

Really shocked we didn't aswell after the success of Matip and the fact we need a left back desperately.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16305 on: June 13, 2017, 12:10:05 pm »

I think he was joking, he's an Arsenal fan, big upping their new player :D Who knows if he's better, he's not played a minute in this league yet. We'll see next season. He was a good player in the Bundesliga though.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16306 on: June 13, 2017, 02:13:04 pm »
I think he was joking, he's an Arsenal fan, big upping their new player :D Who knows if he's better, he's not played a minute in this league yet. We'll see next season. He was a good player in the Bundesliga though.

I dont know the player but Im hearing good things, from bundesliga experts in the media. City have Clichy and Kolarov and left back, we have gibbs and Monreal , and liverpool have Milner and Moreno?, so if hes anywhere near as good as the reports, and hes young, and free, I do wonder why there wasnt any competition to sign him, apart from a couple of italian clubs.
Bertrand would cost about 20m and hes hardly a world beater.
Mendy at Monaco looked excellent in CL last season, I would go for him if I was City and money is no object.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16307 on: June 13, 2017, 04:49:44 pm »
Really shocked we didn't aswell after the success of Matip and the fact we need a left back desperately.

To be honest, Matip is a much better player than Kolasinac.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16308 on: June 13, 2017, 06:59:53 pm »
To be honest, Matip is a much better player than Kolasinac.

Agree with this.

A few people mentioning him making a Bundesliga team of the year, but you've got to remember that Shalke have been in a mid-table battle this season, and he's probably stood out because he's aggressive and tough, and he popped up with a couple of crucial goals and assists. But, to me, he lacks a bit of class on the ball. His pass completion % for a defender is shocking - and might explain ours and City's lack of interest. He does whip in a mean cross, but i'm not sure he'll make the Arsenal starting 11 to be honest.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #16309 on: July 12, 2017, 04:21:42 pm »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #16310 on: July 12, 2017, 04:23:57 pm »
Aurier going the other way then? Alves is 10 years older than him. Strange.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16311 on: July 12, 2017, 08:08:50 pm »

I suspect this summer might turn into an interesting cock measuring contest between Qatar and UAE, especially considering the present political situation in the region. Sanchez might be the next on the agenda, with both Man City and PSG linked with him.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16312 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:21 pm »
At first glance that sounds better than they offered me more money, but given that neither have come close to winning the CL, it actually equates to 'I chose the noncompetitive league for the easy title wins.'

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16313 on: July 13, 2017, 03:13:20 pm »
£50m for Kyle Walker. Madness.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16314 on: July 13, 2017, 03:17:11 pm »
Guardiola and Mourinho are having their own little competition for King of the Chequebook Managers these last 2 summers.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16315 on: July 13, 2017, 03:20:17 pm »
Excess of 50m   ::)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #16316 on: July 13, 2017, 03:37:16 pm »
Fucking madness. Buy that Mendy as well and it's over 100 odd million on full backs.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16317 on: July 13, 2017, 03:46:07 pm »
Fucking madness. Buy that Mendy as well and it's over 100 odd million on full backs.

Best spender manager in the world.

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
« Reply #16318 on: July 13, 2017, 03:47:11 pm »
Absolutely unbelievable

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16319 on: July 13, 2017, 03:47:33 pm »
£50m on Kyle fucking Walker! World has officially gone mad ... Leipzig will now demand £200m for Keita.

Mental
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4