Author Topic: 6 months of Roy Hodgson quotes  (Read 142132 times)

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Re: 6 months of Roy Hodgson quotes
« Reply #880 on: December 27, 2010, 06:48:50 pm »
I feel sorry for Mark Hughes. Honest, I do. The squad of players he inherited were crap. :D

Seriously, it would appear acceptable for Fulham to boo their manager for underperforming with half the season gone. After all, they are about 5 or 6 places below where they would deem 'acceptable' (mid-table safety)

But when it comes to Liverpool fans venting their anger on a manager that has us about 5 or 6 places below where we would deem as 'acceptable' we are being seen as over expecting. (acceptable - not where we want to be)

Selective to say the least.

I remember the comments on Inter Milan Roy made about his tenure. Something about it not being the Inter Milan squad of players everyone knows now i.e not full of superstars.  Would be interesting to see if that squad of players was that poor or if it is Roy is dressing up up another period of mediocrity into something it wasn't.

Every comment he makes is a desperate defence of himself.

Don't know about having a stadium of 60-70k. We'll struggle to fill Haig Avenue if the decline continues.

Here is the squad of players Roy inherited in the middle of Inter's 1995/96 season.

Goalkeepers
Gianluca Pagliuca
Marco Landucci
Giorgio Frezzolini

Defenders

Giuseppe Bergomi
Javier Zanetti
Roberto Carlos
Salvatore Fresi
Felice Centofanti
Gianluca Festa
Alessandro Pistone
Massimo Paganin
Alessandro Pedroni

Midfielders

Andrea Seno
Francesco Dell'Anno
Paul Ince
Alessandro Bianchi
Nicola Berti
Antonio Manicone
Davide Fontolan

Attackers

Benito Carbone
Maurizio Ganz
Marco Branca
Marco Delvecchio
Caio
Sebastián Rambert

Interestingly, their top scoring midfielder was Ince with 3. I can't remember his 1995 Inter side but at a guess, I wonder if his midfield were too far away from the forwards to be effective goal scorers? R. Carlos got 5, but I'm sure most of those were Freekicks or scored from miles away!

Changes he made for 1996/97. This was his only full season in charge with Inter Milas. He was sacked the subsequent summer.

Goalkeepers
OUT
Marco Landucci
Giorgio Frezzolini
IN
Andrea Mazzantini
Armando Pantanelli

Defenders
OUT
Roberto Carlos
Felice Centofanti
Alessandro Pedroni
IN
Fabio Galante
Jocelyn Angloma
Massimo Tarantino
Matteo Ferrari

Midfielders

OUT
Andrea Seno
Francesco Dell'Anno
Alessandro Bianchi
Antonio Manicone
Davide Fontolan
IN
Youri Djorkaeff
Benito Carbone
Aron Winter
Ciriaco Sforza

Attackers

OUT
Marco Delvecchio
Caio
Sebastián Rambert
IN
Iván Zamorano
Nwankwo Kanu
Arturo Di Napoli

They also signed Ronaldo for a record fee from Barcelona. So despite pretty much signing a whole squad of players, including the world record transfer of the best striker I have seen in my generation, he still complained about the squad. Interesting!

The 1999 squad which he was caretaker manager of for some months was even more batshit crazy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998%E2%80%9399_F.C._Internazionale_Milano_season

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:23:31 pm by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #881 on: December 27, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »
“So the player has to ask if they are so uninterested in playing, will they sit for three years despite the fact that the club has made it perfectly clear they don’t want them and there’s no game for them.

“If they want that for three years, they’ve virtually got to kiss (their career) goodbye. If you spend three years on your backside, not kicking a ball apart from the odd reserve game, you’ll find you’re not going to be a player at all.”

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/12/27/roy-hodgson-s-troubles-are-not-all-of-his-own-making-but-liverpool-s-luck-must-turn-92534-27890300/3/#ixzz19IXlCP8T

Here is a list of players whose contract expire in 3 years:-
Konchesky
Agger
Kelly
Skrtel
Meireles
Cole
Pacheco
Shelvey

I doubt it's Konchesky despite being hopeful that it is. Kelly, Shelvey, Pacheco are kids and can't really dig their heels in. Plus he has given game time to Shelvey and Kelly... and Pacheco's contract is new. Meireles and Skrtel are first team regulars. So that only leaves Agger and Cole. Both very probable.

One he has specifically stated he has no responsibility for signing and has publically washed his hands of him.

The other has had an article quoting him from Danish radio/tv criticising Roy's tactics published, which he later retracted. Then states "Liverpool can't force me out of the club even if they want to as I have got four years left on my contract."

The fact he felt the need to say this, in public, could indicate that a conversation took place along the lines of
"If you want to play in the reserves for three years, you’ve virtually got to kiss your career goodbye. If you spend three years on your backside, not kicking a ball apart from the odd reserve game, you’ll find you’re not going to be a player at all.”

Offline loon the red

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #882 on: December 28, 2010, 02:05:07 am »
What's that got to do with the nonsense he spouts?

+1

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: December 28, 2010, 02:38:37 am »
There were some great names in that inter setup under roy, an yet he still complained! I mean how the fuck can you complain about the squad when the owner has just signed the best striker ever in my opinion who scored 47 goals the year before for barcelona.

The Roberto carlos thing is the most worrying for me, as i can see it happening with our players, torres being asked to play with his back to goal as an example.

Out of interest has mark hughes made any noise in the press about the shit squad roy left him which has resulted in there relegation battle?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #884 on: December 28, 2010, 02:44:12 am »
And to my understanding all he wanted was more money out of them, not for them to be ousted. Privately that may be different of course but I'm sure all Rafa was concerned about was getting money for transfers.
Fucks sake mate, that's poor. He was more passionate about the club than any other employee. And yes, he did repeatedly speak out against the owners about other stuff than transfer budgets.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:48:55 am by The 5th Benitle »

Offline Festy

• Kopite
  • Best RAWK poster of the year 2010-11
« Reply #885 on: December 28, 2010, 04:14:17 am »
Carlo Ancelotti takes blame for poor form

You see top managers DO take responsibility for the poor performances. Unlike Roy, who thinks he is a Jesus and can never go wrong.  ::)

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #886 on: December 28, 2010, 05:25:10 am »
Yes, I agree, but read my posts above and tell me what you think. I know some will see it as some sort of afront to the name of Rafa Benitez, it isn't, just an assumption.

"Just an assumption". It's a fucking <<massive>> assumption, and coming from you, it's not really surprising at all.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #887 on: December 28, 2010, 06:03:12 am »
Carlo Ancelotti takes blame for poor form

You see top managers DO take responsibility for the poor performances. Unlike Roy, who thinks he is a Jesus and can never go wrong.  ::)

Sir Hodgson brought us mid-table stability.... from a relegation dog-fight, we are now safely entrenched in mid-table... must respect our World Class manager for doing that after inheriting the squad from that evil Spanish guy....

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #888 on: December 28, 2010, 09:12:16 am »
And what is frightening now, we have a game every 3 or so days this month.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #889 on: December 28, 2010, 09:36:54 am »
are you sure its ok for me to post in that one?  there won't be people getting all snotty in that one for supporting the manager of our football club will there?

it appears though you didnt support the last manager or even members of todays squad so why is Roy so special for you!

Your may be viewed as a credible poster if only your arguments didnt look like they were written for you by Talkshite, you come out with some constant diatribe already disregarded as absolute bollacks by any student of the game.

Problem is we have read the same poor arguments so often before and probably far more eloquently put than this!

If you have a go at people for putting the club future before supporting Roy then may I suggest you learn how to support all the players on the pitch as well.

Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: December 28, 2010, 09:43:32 am »
Honestly was not trying to dodge the question mate. Those are my views on it.
And I said Roy has to be accountable for this season, when its over. Not yet. So far, ok its been terrible and very frustrating but Im not 100% convinced any other manager would have got more out of the players at this point. Thats not to say im right, its just my view on things.

The owners will decide what they thinks is best but you have to realise they are new to the sport , they have appointed Comolli, which is obviously their way of trying to have some say in the team from the off and they are learning. I can forgive them if they dont appoint a new man this season because of those issues. In terms of the the clubs future, one season will not define it.

But are you also not convinced that anyone could have done worse than Roy on and off the pitch in so short a time?
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #891 on: December 28, 2010, 09:47:17 am »
I don't think it's an assumption. I think it's true. Rafa just wanted funds from the yanks and that was his almost always his problem with them. People shouldn't take that as an affront to Rafa because at the end of the day he exposed the yanks of being incapable of investing the money a club the size of Liverpool demands and kept the pressure on them to invest rather than accepting that we should become a mid table club like Hodgson did when he accepted the job in the summer.
What transpired with not getting money highlighted their dealings, if he'd been given money and that money placed on the debt of the club; would he of been so public of his condemnation of the club? I doubt it. Though many will use his public spats as him instigating a process of ousting them, when in reality his main concern was transfer funds. Now, if peoples myopic view of that investment in the team being as an investment in the club whilst placing debt against us, as investing in the club, then I'm at a loss to their perceptions of team and club and the difference between the two.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: December 28, 2010, 09:54:07 am »
Errrno, he was sacked for taking on the board.

errno he was sacked because people like you enpowered the board to do it, or shall we cut the BS enpowered Purslow!

Guess you are proud of your work now we have the foot in mouth messiah!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: December 28, 2010, 09:54:57 am »
Wow, Rafa wanted to improve the team, and have owners who gave a damn, what a selfish bastard.

And would he of cared where the money come from if he'd gotten it?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:05 am »
errno he was sacked because people like you enpowered the board to do it, or shall we cut the BS enpowered Purslow!

Please tell me what work this is geoff? and feel free to point out when I have ever called for his head?

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #895 on: December 28, 2010, 10:01:06 am »
Please tell me what work this is geoff? and feel free to point out when I have ever called for his head?

Your calling of his head is implied by you saying that no manager could do better than Hodgson I guess ? Or such rewriting of history and coming up with complete bollocks like Rafa cared about the transfers and not the owners.

Do you really understand what the last sentence means ?
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: December 28, 2010, 10:01:11 am »

As his only thought was to improve the team why would he care, did any of us care where the club gets the money to pay for any of our past legends!

Chopper you arguments on this are fading faster than the Aussie cricket teams ashes hopes, you normally talk sense but this is like a weak spot for you! This thread though is about what our present manager is spouting now not that Rafa tried put the teams success and an improved squad above anything else!

Offline LFCpostCOM

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
    • LFCPost.com
« Reply #897 on: December 28, 2010, 10:03:24 am »
The sickening/sad/pathetic/annoying thing is that Roy recently used R.Carlos as an example of excellence in (wrongly) describing Carra's right back cameo as Carlos-like.
Join the union: www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: December 28, 2010, 10:07:21 am »

The clever ones do not do the dirty work themselves they merely sow the seeds or create the environment for others to follow, or did you support Rafa as blindly as you appear to support Roy!

all i have read for weeks is you turning anything negative about Roy into a diatribe on Rafa so why is that, is your defence of one man an attack on the previous manager!

Give me 5 good reasons why you think Roy is doing such a wonderful job and you know I may think again about how I feel about him!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: December 28, 2010, 10:08:08 am »

This is what really annoys me about the whole Rafa discussion. I think I recall two quality posters on here ever suggesting Rafa should go. CHOPPER was never one of them and I don't recall many others anyway (one or two), it was a rare call. CHOPPER did what you do in the pub, talk about deficiencies in the team, tactics, set-up and substitutions. The fact that you weren't permitted to do that reasonably last year because the internet bullies jumped on you has now transcended in to ridiculous arguments, indeed vicious stories like that one geoff.

Sorry off-topic, but self control has to exercised by those who grieve the most.

Offline LFCpostCOM

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
    • LFCPost.com
« Reply #900 on: December 28, 2010, 10:10:53 am »
let's get this thread back on track.

Latest Roy quote:

"I said, would - you - like - a - fu-cking - mint!?"

(note, quotes may not reflect reality)

Offline R.A.La

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: December 28, 2010, 10:12:45 am »
The sickening/sad/pathetic/annoying thing is that Roy recently used R.Carlos as an example of excellence in (wrongly) describing Carra's right back cameo as Carlos-like.

Na mate. That was Carlos Alberto I think.
those people were scared off by the distress chatter and the organised internet terrorism campaign that was directed against people involved.

Offline petrichor

• Kopite
« Reply #902 on: December 28, 2010, 10:17:10 am »

shameful post.
18,000 posts on rawk, you should be aware as well as anyone the circumstances of our last manager.
your true self rears its ugly head, i suppose

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #903 on: December 28, 2010, 10:18:07 am »
let's get this thread back on track.

Latest Roy quote:

"I said, would - you - like - a - fu-cking - mint!?"

(note, quotes may not reflect reality)
Sorry mate, I think you're completely out of order there. I'm sure it was Smint...
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline LFCpostCOM

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
    • LFCPost.com
« Reply #904 on: December 28, 2010, 10:18:52 am »

would 'HAVE'

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #905 on: December 28, 2010, 10:19:07 am »
What transpired with not getting money highlighted their dealings, if he'd been given money and that money placed on the debt of the club; would he of been so public of his condemnation of the club? I doubt it. Though many will use his public spats as him instigating a process of ousting them, when in reality his main concern was transfer funds. Now, if peoples myopic view of that investment in the team being as an investment in the club whilst placing debt against us, as investing in the club, then I'm at a loss to their perceptions of team and club and the difference between the two.

Ok Chopper, what did you think Rafa was trying to tell us at the infamous "I must focus on coaching the team" press conference? Was that transfer related alone? How about the press conferences where he was asked about Klinsman looking like the man to replace him? or where a 20m signing was brought in and then sent packing from the club within 6months, so funds were provided on one hand, on the other they were taken away because I still dont know where the  Keane funds ended up...then there were the changes made to the Academy which were driven by Rafa whilst facing internal opposition...

In some ways, I actually agree that getting funds available for the team IMO were always a priority for Rafa however what became an increasing issue IMO was the fact that Rafa wasnt being left to manage the football elements of the club, we are now finding out that Purslow ( possibly others? ) were actively muddying the waters under the misguided perception he actually knew more about football than Rafa and what was best for LFC....to be honest its depressing when I think about this....

I cannot get my head around how bad things seem to have got inside Anfield, but the purpose of this post was to highlight IMO that I agree Rafa's concerns included transfer funds, what I dont agree with is that these were his only concerns...

Offline LFCpostCOM

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
    • LFCPost.com
« Reply #906 on: December 28, 2010, 10:19:33 am »
Sorry mate, I think you're completely out of order there. I'm sure it was Smint...

ah, mint smint

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: December 28, 2010, 10:19:42 am »
This is what really annoys me about the whole Rafa discussion. I think I recall two quality posters on here ever suggesting Rafa should go. CHOPPER was never one of them and I don't recall many others anyway (one or two), it was a rare call. CHOPPER did what you do in the pub, talk about deficiencies in the team, tactics, set-up and substitutions. The fact that you weren't permitted to do that reasonably last year because the internet bullies jumped on you has now transcended in to ridiculous arguments, indeed vicious stories like that one geoff.

Sorry off-topic, but self control has to exercised by those who grieve the most.

Sorry i see nothing vicious about that, i do see a thread based on the present managers PR Deficiencies being hijacked into rubbish comments well examined in the past about Rafa, you will find the people who look to divert this topic are the ones who were the past managers biggest critics, whether it was valid criticisms or not it has nothing to do with what Gods gift to public speaking is saying today has it!

So may i suggest to get this back on track we take the Rafa references out of this discussion unless Roy is talking about him!

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: December 28, 2010, 10:22:43 am »
Your calling of his head is implied by you saying that no manager could do better than Hodgson I guess ? Or such rewriting of history and coming up with complete bollocks like Rafa cared about the transfers and not the owners.

Do you really understand what the last sentence means ?
Your guess is wrong, I haven't implied anything, no-one would or could of stopped what I believe to be an inevitable conclusion to this season and to lump hodgson after one season's worth of management into the last 20 years of boardroom and managerial miss-management, is lame. We've been fucked long time where the league is concerned.

Rafa only cared about how much he had to spend, like all! managers do. Or did I miss him tearing up a storm when the money was Provided for FT and JM?

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #909 on: December 28, 2010, 10:22:52 am »
So may i suggest to get this back on track we take the Rafa references out of this discussion unless Roy is talking about him!

I agree, I just deleted my posts, I suggest everyone does the same on the off topic ones.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #910 on: December 28, 2010, 10:32:08 am »

Rafa only cared about how much he had to spend, like all! managers do. Or did I miss him tearing up a storm when the money was Provided for FT and JM?

You do know that you are making that up are you ? How do you know that he didn't want the best for the club long term by getting rid of the owners ? More assumptions aye ?

And of course the transfer money is what all managers depend on, but if he had money would he expose H&G you ask ? well that is a very stupid question chopper.
If H&G gave Rafa the money would they be classified as bad owners ? ofc not. they wouldn't need exposing. The fact was that they couldn't because our CL revenue and some of the transfer money was being gobbled up by the interest. It's simple really.

And I suggest that this now turns on Topic: the nonsensical interviews of Roy Hodgson, there are enough threads with people trying to rewrite history.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:26 am »
"The less results you get the less leaders you have though, it's as simple as that."
I'm not critising. I just don't understand this. Anyone know what this might mean?

(Rafa knew the source of his transfer funds; his squad. When the money from player sales just vanished, as it did with Keane's, the reality was that Rafa's transfer dealings was paying off interest. Not accumulating debt)

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #912 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:58 am »
And what is frightening now, we have a game every 3 or so days this month.

The reason this is frightening to me is that Roy doens't know how to keep his players fresh.

I remember reading something Tomkins wrote about how under Roy, his results in busy periods were always quite poor as he tends to only change the team when forced to do so. I remember the article came before 3 league games in 7 days and the results were W (Chelsea), D (Wigan), L (Stoke). Our midfield in that Stoke game looked completely burned out, Lucas in particular after his mammoth effort in the Chelsea game was looking pretty weary by the end of that run of games.

So if our results do follow this trend, it could be a very poor January. It also means if FSG/NESV react to this by sacking Roy, the new manager would be thrown in at the deep end with fixtures coming thick and fast, with little to no time in training to adjust the squads tactics/midsets.

On a positive note, Gerrard is back. Hopefully he slots into attack with Nando as I like the Lucas-Meireles partnership. Can also provide midfield cover.... I was worried our only center midfielder fit in the squad to deputise was Poulsen.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: December 28, 2010, 11:40:22 am »
That's my concern too BabuYagu. He seems to have a clearly defined first eleven and seems reluctant to change players in order to kep them fresh. If he's in charge for our 'busy' period, then we're more likely to struggle as the fixtures pile up.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #914 on: December 28, 2010, 11:40:34 am »
There were some great names in that inter setup under roy, an yet he still complained! I mean how the fuck can you complain about the squad when the owner has just signed the best striker ever in my opinion who scored 47 goals the year before for barcelona.

The Roberto carlos thing is the most worrying for me, as i can see it happening with our players, torres being asked to play with his back to goal as an example.

Out of interest has mark hughes made any noise in the press about the shit squad roy left him which has resulted in there relegation battle?

Djorkaeff and Sforza in particular were two players I loved to watch. Actually looking at the squad he left at Inter, that was a very good squad of players. If he was responsible for transfers back then, deserves a big pat on the back. However, in Italy they have coaches not managers so I'm sure someone else was responsible with Roy maybe being allowed a veto if certain players wouldn't fit his methods. All that + Ronaldo who literally tore teams to pieces on his own back then before his knee troubles started.

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
« Reply #915 on: December 28, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
I can hear roys press conference at the end of January (if the old twunts still here)

"Well you need to consider the weather had a detremental effect and built up to many games for us, blackpool away was always going to be tough, bolton who are on a great vein of form played well, and deserved there away win, blackburn with there new manager were always going to be a challenge and I think David Moyes was a bit lucky today, but I,ve done my best and it will get better", etc etc.

Read the sceond paragraph you can just hear him coming out with it.  :no
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:04:30 pm by keeby »
was on blankety blank once and came second.........

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #916 on: December 28, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »
But are you also not convinced that anyone could have done worse than Roy on and off the pitch in so short a time?

Interestingly I am 100% convinced another manager COULD have gotten more out of us this season. The reasons for this is that they wouldn't have signed Poulsen or Konchesky. They wouldn't have made comments to disillusion sections of their squad (B-Team, Johnson, Lucas, Torres, Cole all getting public criticism). They wouldn't have given us a schooling in 1975 tactics and formations and lined. These are all things Hodgson did which in my opinion are a large part of why we are where we are.

This is ignoring that in every press conference he says something which makes your ears cry begging for mercy. How can you trust a leader who comes across as a bumbling idiot who shirks responsibility. How can you take risks on the pitch to attain greater reward, knowing that if the risks don't pay off, your manager won't have your back, and will probably criticise you publically for your failings.

Sorry but to say no other manager would get more out of us is complete nonsense. Mourinho makes his players feel like warriors, like they are indestructible at times. That sort of psychological boost is exactly what this squad needed after last season. We have given them the opposite effect and are now being told that mid table is okay.... it's pretty much their level. Fuck that!

A solid tactical coach would have told his players not to retreat which just emboldens the opposition. Yet there we were under Roy, running back into our own box against Northampton of all people. Watching Pacheco play as a makeshift left back, on his own, getting double teamed by their two right sided players that night was sickening.

A good manager who can wheel and deal in the transfer market would have heeded the clubs concerns about Aurelio. He is perma-injured and it's why a pay as you play was the only way to go. But nope, 2 year deal on between 30-50k a week. How many league starts this season? They also wouldn't have burned up £10m and a combined £100k a week on two journeymen who have little to nothing to offer this club. Both on long term deals too! You would hope they would also see the wisdom in keeping hold of Aquilani and Insua instead.

A forward planning manager would also have questioned the wisdom in giving Carragher a 2 year contract extention on 90-100k a week. Can anyone see him as a starting center half in 6 months time for us? I seriously cannot. Yet we will be giving him £5.2 million pounds to play back up center half for a season.

We also have him to thank for trying to reteach Reina in how to be a goalkeeper. He was doing fine you know Roy. He really doesn't need to completely change the style to be more English. It's why he outperforms every English style goalkeeper every season in the Premier League.

So all in all.... I can't see what Roy has brought us since the summer that has in any way benefitted this football club. I can see many things that he has done personally that have been to the serious detriment to us on the pitch (nevermind his words off it!). So I cannot accept that no other manager could have done better than he has. If we had a strong motivator OR a good tactician OR a wheeler dealer I reckon we would be in a better position. He has seriously failed in all three of those categories since arriving at the club which is why a squad capable of achieving Champions League football with the right guidance, currently looks capable of staying just out of the relegation fight (injuries permitting).

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #917 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:07 pm »
That's my concern too BabuYagu. He seems to have a clearly defined first eleven and seems reluctant to change players in order to kep them fresh. If he's in charge for our 'busy' period, then we're more likely to struggle as the fixtures pile up.

I think the only guaranteed change to the first XI is the return of Gerrard. Where he plays will be interesting as our midfield now has a good balance to it. To get the most out of Lucas, Meireles and Gerrard I think you need a midfield triangle.... which can't exist in the 1975 version of the 4-4-2

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: December 28, 2010, 12:28:06 pm »
I think the only guaranteed change to the first XI is the return of Gerrard. Where he plays will be interesting as our midfield now has a good balance to it. To get the most out of Lucas, Meireles and Gerrard I think you need a midfield triangle.... which can't exist in the 1975 version of the 4-4-2

Gerrard's back tomorrow and Roy has praised the Lucas-Meireles partnership so I'm clinging to the hope that Gerrard won' play in CM tomorrow or for a lot of the other games this season. I think it won't make much difference if we have the same 10 or 11 for the next 8 games, which I suspect we will.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #919 on: December 28, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »
I'm still hoping...

"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."