Author Topic: Why we should keep Lucas?  (Read 269564 times)

Offline RBrittain

• This week, I'll mostly be talking absolute bollocks in a Lucas Leiva topic. And next week. And the week after.
  • Main Stander
  • Robbie Fowler
Re: Why we should keep Lucas?
« Reply #2480 on: January 21, 2011, 06:55:21 pm »
In all seriousness.. For a guy who is going to captain Brazil to victory in the next World Cup and be as good as Xavi in 2-3 years, wouldn't £8 million be the bargain of the century?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2481 on: January 21, 2011, 06:55:41 pm »
I wonder if redmark is reading this.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2482 on: January 21, 2011, 07:02:17 pm »
In all seriousness.. For a guy who is going to captain Brazil to victory in the next World Cup and be as good as Xavi in 2-3 years, wouldn't £8 million be the bargain of the century?
How much DID Inter spend during last summer?
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #2483 on: January 21, 2011, 07:04:16 pm »

Would have been, luckily he still plays for us.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2484 on: January 21, 2011, 07:06:43 pm »
Interesting read, this

Forget that just for a moment. Will you be taking up the tasty challenge I offered you?

Or are you gonna wimp out like a thing that wimps out?   ;D
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2485 on: January 21, 2011, 07:30:53 pm »
"Kuyt's worse than Lucas, so why aren't we hating on him!"
Can I have the money?

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #2486 on: January 21, 2011, 07:31:06 pm »
An indication of world class status if ever i saw one!

Please provide the textual evidence (i.e. quotes from actual posts, complete with surrounding sentences) demonstrating that claims have been put forth regarding Lucas Leiva's "world class status".

Otherwise, humorous, serious, snarky, obnoxious, polite, etc. refutations of Lucas Leiva's alleged "world class status" are completely vacuous.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2487 on: January 21, 2011, 07:35:00 pm »
Maybe he sticks with Liverpool because no other clubs have shown any interest in signing him thus far?

What kind of evidence would disprove your claim that "no other clubs have shown any interest in signing him thus far"?

Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2488 on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:35 pm »
Prepare yourself, good sir, for the torrent of abuse you are about to receive.

What qualifies as "abuse" let alone "a torrent of abuse"?
Ludi Circenses!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2489 on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:50 pm »
Can I have the money?

Bang to rights guv, it's a fair cop mi old rozzer. Money's in yer bank account  ;D.

However I think I'm now allowed to say that RBrittain is a Fucking Wanker. Here goes. RBrittain is a Fucking Wanker.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2490 on: January 21, 2011, 07:38:40 pm »
No point telling someone they're wrong but not qualifying it.

What clubs have shown any sort of interest in signing Lucas since he has been a Liverpool player?

It turns out you were factually, empirically wrong. Right?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2491 on: January 21, 2011, 07:40:06 pm »
All the banter is fine and good and fun (at times) but the question that still remains is not why we should keep Lucas but WHETHER we are going to keep Lucas. In short, have we heard anything regarding a contract offer being made to Lucas by FSG/LFC?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #2492 on: January 21, 2011, 07:44:38 pm »
All the banter is fine and good and fun (at times) but the question that still remains is not why we should keep Lucas but WHETHER we are going to keep Lucas. In short, have we heard anything regarding a contract offer being made to Lucas by FSG/LFC?

I made his point a couple of hundred thousand posts ago  :D and got mocked. 

Will Lucas stay i.e Will we offer him a new contract?

Does he want to stay?  I mean, I know he is loyal and loves the club and fans, but he's also a winner.  Can we offer what he wants, or are we going to let him go and find ourselves regretting it hugely when his much 'discussed' abilities flourish at another club and he does become 'world class'!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2493 on: January 21, 2011, 08:06:40 pm »
Bang to rights guv, it's a fair cop mi old rozzer. Money's in yer bank account  ;D.

However I think I'm now allowed to say that RBrittain is a Fucking Wanker. Here goes. RBrittain is a Fucking Wanker.
'Arry that you?

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #2494 on: January 21, 2011, 08:08:28 pm »
A lot in there that I agree with.

I'd like to ask the people that don't rate Lucas one question.  If he's not that good and overrated by Leiva-Lovers why was he so frequently in the starting 11 for Rafa and Roy...add Kenny there because not only has he kept him there since being in charge he hasn't even subbed him.

simple answer is because there is kno other option and shelvey needs experience.

Offline impz

• Kopite
« Reply #2495 on: January 21, 2011, 08:13:53 pm »
simple answer is because there is kno other option and shelvey needs experience.

Well there was that lad Gerrard and then we bought that european powerhouse Poulsen and then we had Souness' second coming in Speo rotting in the reserves..
from the land of ice and fire.

Ohh and the occasional bank collapse and finacial crisis.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2496 on: January 21, 2011, 08:14:15 pm »
I replied to liverpooll, after he said people were claiming he was as good as these illustrious players. I explained he'd got it wrong.

Then liverpooll goes and posts this.

So redmark, Juan and others, I'd like to ask you. What basis for discussion is there, when there is such a fundamental disconnection between what people say and what people hear?

Some people don't read, or don't understand when they do. However, a reasoned level of discussion will be getting across to others and makes the thread a better place.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2497 on: January 21, 2011, 08:15:23 pm »

So, neither Rafa nor Hodgson (nor KD, so far) have had any other options in CM that were as good or better (reliably so) than Lucas, right? Sounds plausible. It says NOTHING about his quality level, though.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2498 on: January 21, 2011, 08:15:39 pm »

deary me.

Offline RBrittain

• This week, I'll mostly be talking absolute bollocks in a Lucas Leiva topic. And next week. And the week after.
  • Main Stander
  • Robbie Fowler
« Reply #2499 on: January 21, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »

Oh, fair enough. I was wrong.

Keep up with the thread, pal. I was wrong. How does this relate to you?

I had assumed there there had been no interest in him from other clubs, but I was wrong. There had been... from Stoke, Rafa Benitez (but Inter wouldn't go above £5 mill), Palermo and a few Spanish clubs.

Offline impz

• Kopite
« Reply #2500 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19:11 pm »

I had assumed there there had been no interest in him from other clubs, but I was wrong. There had been... from Stoke, Rafa Benitez (but Inter wouldn't go above £5 mill), Palermo and a few Spanish clubs.
And Lyon apparently

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2501 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19:30 pm »

You haven't replied to either Yorkies question or mine.

Could you please do so.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2502 on: January 21, 2011, 08:22:03 pm »
Redmark - Whelan was a little before my time. Seen the odd game on the tele thanks to the club channel but the first thought I have of him is the curler against the Mancs in the league cup final, which is probably unaccurate. And I'd find it difficult to compare Lucas to that.

... Havant and Waterlooville wasn't a bad effort though.

That goal in particular came during the first half of his career as a tucked-in left midfielder expected to get forwards, be creative and score goals (I think Ian Rush mentions in his autobiography that his own emergence was a boost to Whelan, as the two fitted each other's style better - Rush's pace suited Whelan's quick release and attacking passing).

In the second half of his career, following the arrival of Barnes, he became the quiet, "what-exactly-does-he-do" central midfielder, sitting and keeping things simple (with an occasional lethal but subtly delivered two footed tackle thrown in) while McMahon became the all action hero.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2503 on: January 21, 2011, 08:22:29 pm »
Was a German side interested in him too was there not?
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline RBrittain

• Main Stander
  • Robbie Fowler
« Reply #2504 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:16 pm »
Btw, a few people keep listing Roy Hodgson when they say "He was rated by this manager, that manager.."

Since when did Liverpool fans hold Roy's opinion in such high esteem? :o

Still too early to say what Kenny Dalglish will do with Lucas. He's had little choice but to play him, especially with Gerrard being out. Not saying that he won't play him, but you guys would be better off leaving Roy and Kenny out of your list. "He is rated by Benitez and Menezes" is a fair argument in itself, but including Roy and Dalglish in there is shaky.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2505 on: January 21, 2011, 08:24:52 pm »
Btw, a few people keep listing Roy Hodgson when they say "He was rated by this manager, that manager.."

Still too early to say what Kenny Dalglish will do with Lucas. He's had little choice but to play him, especially with Gerrard being out. Not saying that he won't play him, but you guys would be better off leaving Roy and Kenny out of your list. "He is rated by Benitez and Menezes" is a fair argument in itself, but including Roy and Dalglish in there is shaky.
Any chance of answering the questions we asked lad?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2506 on: January 21, 2011, 08:24:57 pm »
OK fine, he's rated by Dunga as well.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2507 on: January 21, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »
Any chance of answering the questions we asked lad?

Maybe he forgot what they are? Maybe a helpful link to the questions ;)

Offline impz

• Kopite
« Reply #2508 on: January 21, 2011, 08:27:45 pm »

Look just because Roy wasn't a very good manager for us doesn't mean he's rubbish.

He's decent but he was never going to handle the job... That and his philosophy was the opposite of the side he inherited..

The only thing he did right really was to play Lucas instead of Poulsen.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2509 on: January 21, 2011, 08:28:56 pm »

Excuse me?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline RBrittain

• Main Stander
  • Robbie Fowler
« Reply #2510 on: January 21, 2011, 08:29:21 pm »
You haven't replied to either Yorkies question or mine.

Could you please do so.

Your question was "How much DID Inter spend last summer?"

I don't have the answer off the top of my head, but I figured if you wanted to know, just look it up. Why get me to find out stuff for you? :o If you want to make a point, just make it, but I'm not going to scurry round looking for stats for you.

As for Yorky's question, no, because I would feel guilty to take £100,000 off him.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2511 on: January 21, 2011, 08:32:29 pm »
Your question was "How much DID Inter spend last summer?"

I don't have the answer off the top of my head, but I figured if you wanted to know, just look it up. Why get me to find out stuff for you? :o If you want to make a point, just make it, but I'm not going to scurry round looking for stats for you.
As for Yorky's question, no, because I would feel guilty to take £100,000 off him.

I think the point reece was making was that it wasn't that the £8m figure was too high, it was that Inter didn't pony up money for ANYONE.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #2512 on: January 21, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »
but including Roy and Dalglish in there is shaky.

It's not though. It's an even stronger example, because if any manager was thick enough to drop and sell Lucas, it'd have been Roy, and even he, after initially watching Purslow trying to shop Lucas around, himself bought Poulsen and Raul. He had chances to improve the midfield. He spent over 10m on Raul and something like 5m on Poulsen, while still planning on deploying Gerrard at CM and Joe Cole in the hole.

The fact that even fucking Hodgson ended up trotting Lucas out there game after game, after having 15m to spend on replacements (after getting 18m from Masch) speaks to Lucas's credibility more than Roy's incompetence.

If anyone was gonna agree with the Muppet Show around here that the kid deserves even a sliver of slating, it'd have been Hogdson. Yet the only thing that Hodgson had that looked good in his God-forsaken shite time on Merseyside was the Lucas-Raul combination.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2513 on: January 21, 2011, 08:34:38 pm »
So what your saying is if Gerrard's fit, Lucas wouldn't get the playing time he's got.  And why can't Kenny's short reign be used in this ?  He's had 3 games and could've tried a midfield mixing Meireles-Poulsen-Shelvey-Spearing in any way or form.   Could even go further and throw Aurelio into the mix.

Glen too. (But that would meaning playing PFK)

YNWA Rafa.

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #2514 on: January 21, 2011, 08:36:03 pm »
So, neither Rafa nor Hodgson (nor KD, so far) have had any other options in CM that were as good or better (reliably so) than Lucas, right? Sounds plausible. It says NOTHING about his quality level, though.

Benitez had nothing to spend, hodgson spent on meireles but lost masch. do you think if we kept masch then lucas would be in the team? of course not,
In the long term if we are going to become great again do you really feel lucas is going to the type of player capable of leading the midfield of a championship winning team?

Offline RBrittain

• Main Stander
  • Robbie Fowler
« Reply #2515 on: January 21, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »
Excuse me?

Why is it important to you to point out to people that they were wrong, even after they have admitted they were wrong (and you weren't even involved in the original discussion)? :o

Maybe he sticks with Liverpool because no other clubs have shown any interest in signing him thus far?

Oh, fair enough. I was wrong.

Just seemed a bizarre thing to say, asking me to confirm that I was "factually, empirically wrong" an hour after I had admitted being wrong.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #2516 on: January 21, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »
If I "cry that regularly" you'll have no trouble showing an example, will you?

I'll set you a little challenge to make it more interesting. I'll give you £100,000 if you can find me saying this. You give me a tenner if you can't. How about it?

They all run away when you ask them to put their money where their mouths are.

Except Juan Loco that is, who put his money where his mouth was, and then ran away.

;D

Offline impz

• Kopite
« Reply #2517 on: January 21, 2011, 08:40:32 pm »
They all run away when you ask them to put their money where their mouths are.

Except Juan Loco that is, who put his money where his mouth was, and then ran away.

;D

Well Mr. Loco is sound tho.. ;)

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #2518 on: January 21, 2011, 08:40:46 pm »
Just seemed a bizarre thing to say, asking me to confirm that I was "factually, empirically wrong" an hour after I had admitted being wrong.

He missed your comment where you said you were wrong, nothing more than that. No need to make a big thing about it.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline RBrittain

• Main Stander
  • Robbie Fowler
« Reply #2519 on: January 21, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »
I think the point reece was making was that it wasn't that the £8m figure was too high, it was that Inter didn't pony up money for ANYONE.

Yeah, I think that's probably it, though he'd be better off just saying that!

It's not necessarily true, of course, as we've often seen clubs go entire transfer windows without buying anyone if they can't get them for the right price (They're definitely not broke.. They've just bought Ranocchia for 12.5 million Euros).