Author Topic: Wikileaks:  (Read 131087 times)

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
Re: Wikileaks:
« Reply #600 on: July 31, 2013, 07:08:32 pm »
I don't understand why he got away with the "aiding the enemy" thing. Didn't they find intel on Osama's PC directly from these leaks about the US soldiers in Iraq? Have I got that wrong?

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #601 on: July 31, 2013, 07:14:50 pm »
exposing the crimes to who exactly?  you think people didnt know what is going on?

there is injustice everywhere,and for me no crime is bigger than the other...russians with chechens and other muslim countries that are under russian territory, turks with kurds,israelis with palestinians,china with tibet,spain with basque etc

its crazy world, and pointing the finger towards USA all the time is silly

i'm against of any crime and everyone should clean up his own backyard first before he starts making judgments and jumps on that ship "lets blame America for everything"

I am talking about US because it is relevant to the article I was responding to. Because it is the leading superpower in the West and with the UK has one of the strongest alliances and partnerships on Earth. I cannot comment on Russia or indeed much of the East because I am not as informed in those particular areas. I am certain that there are horrible crimes committed all over the globe, but it would be very hard to include all of them when talking about one specific subject. I often loosely generalise the UK with the US because we share such similar cultures.

My question was more of a rhetorical one, summarising my feelings of self-loathing and sadness, as this hero gets put away for life, while the rest of us sit idly by.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:19:35 pm by adam18 »
-YNWA-

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »
Why do you think he's a hero?

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2013, 08:01:45 pm »
Why do you think he's a hero?

Because he knew the dire consequences of his actions, nonetheless disregarded the fear and stood up for what he believed in. He couldn't sit by and do nothing while the US committed war crimes and kept them secrete, all the while being in a position to expose them. He wanted to give people in a democracy the information hidden about their representatives, to make an informed choice about who leads.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:26:26 pm by adam18 »
-YNWA-

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #604 on: August 19, 2013, 12:30:42 am »
Because he knew the dire consequences of his actions,

I dont really agree. The same with snowden. I dont think they really knew the true impact of what they did and how it would affect them.

This guy will be living in prison for the rest of his natural and snowden will have to make some kind of a life in russia and will always wonder if he will be traded back to the US in some power deal he cannot control

I see them both and naive immature young men who blew the lid on nothing of anything importance

ECHELON was pretty much made public years ago. I dont know why govts snooping on electronic communications, even those of its own citizens was particularly new news

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #605 on: August 21, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »
Manning got 35 years.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #606 on: August 21, 2013, 07:55:25 pm »
Manning got 35 years.

George W. Bush still walks.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: August 21, 2013, 08:10:32 pm »
well in adam18..commiebobbie also...
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #608 on: August 21, 2013, 08:18:51 pm »
I dont really agree. The same with snowden. I dont think they really knew the true impact of what they did and how it would affect them.

This guy will be living in prison for the rest of his natural and snowden will have to make some kind of a life in russia and will always wonder if he will be traded back to the US in some power deal he cannot control

I see them both and naive immature young men who blew the lid on nothing of anything importance

ECHELON was pretty much made public years ago. I dont know why govts snooping on electronic communications, even those of its own citizens was particularly new news

I think the wiki leaks documentary proves that at least Manning knew the consequences of his actions. The reason this was "new news" is because the extent to which it is done is completely illegal, because you'd really have to look hard to find any information on these programs prior to snowden and manning (the related congressional committees didn't, and still don't know the whole truth), and that many times it takes something like a video as opposed to anecdotal writing from halfway around the world to get people disgusted with the way things are being carried out on our behalf.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: August 21, 2013, 08:27:25 pm »
Hopefully he will get parole at the first time of asking in about seven years, although I wouldn't put it past the authorities to keep him in jail for every day they gave him.

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: August 21, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
Hopefully he will get parole at the first time of asking in about seven years, although I wouldn't put it past the authorities to keep him in jail for every day they gave him.

We'll see what kind of administration we have then, but its certainly highly optimistic.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #611 on: August 21, 2013, 08:49:09 pm »
Assange's statement:

Today the well-known whistleblower Bradley Manning has been ordered by a military court in Maryland to spend a minimum of 5.2 years in prison with a 32 year maximum (including time already spent in detention), for revealing information about US government behaviour to the public.
This hard-won minimum term represents a significant tactical victory for Bradley Manning’s defense, campaign team and supporters. At the start of these proceedings, the United States government had charged Bradley Manning with a capital offence and other charges carrying over 135 years of incarceration. His defense team is now appealing to the US Army Court of Criminal Appeals in relation to this sentence and also for due process violations during the trial.

While the defense should be proud of their tactical victory, it should be remembered that Mr Manning’s trial and conviction is an affront to basic concepts of Western justice. On Mr Manning’s arrest in May 2010, he was immediately subjected to punitive incarceration by the US government, which was found to be "cruel, inhumane and degrading" by the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, Juan Mendez, and even found to be unlawful by US military courts.

The period Mr Manning has already spent in prison will be subtracted from the sentence, and dispensations for good behaviour, parole and other factors mean that it is likely he will now spend less than ten years in confinement. Mr Manning’s defense team are now seeking to reduce this sentence further on appeal. US military law stipulates that the sentence can only be reduced. It is important that support for Bradley Manning continues during this time.

The only just outcome in Mr Manning’s case is his unconditional release, compensation for the unlawful treatment he has undergone, and a serious commitment to investigating the wrongdoing his alleged disclosures have brought to light.

Mr Manning’s treatment has been intended to send a signal to people of conscience in the US government who might seek to bring wrongdoing to light. This strategy has spectacularly backfired, as recent months have proven. Instead, the Obama administration is demonstrating that there is no place in its system for people of conscience and principle. As a result, there will be a thousand more Bradley Mannings.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21/julian-assange-bradley-manning-sentence_n_3790975.html?utm_hp_ref=politics
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #612 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:30 pm »
I think the wiki leaks documentary proves that at least Manning knew the consequences of his actions. The reason this was "new news" is because the extent to which it is done is completely illegal, because you'd really have to look hard to find any information on these programs prior to snowden and manning (the related congressional committees didn't, and still don't know the whole truth), and that many times it takes something like a video as opposed to anecdotal writing from halfway around the world to get people disgusted with the way things are being carried out on our behalf.

i guess thats fair comment
as a puny citizen I just assume verything i do can be snooped on with impunity as basically electronic snooping is so flipping easy

its interesting that snowden was snooping elected govt officials with impunity

but for me personally, I just dont see it as news

electronic snooping is comparatively easy for any govt or authority who has influence or control of the web in their geographical area. its no wonder they do it as its so easy for them. what would be news for me is if they had the self control not to snoop

this is a self control I could never see the british or US authorities ever having considering their suspicion of terrorism and desire for political and business intelligence for self promotion

Offline Mizerooskie

• Kopite
« Reply #613 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:43 pm »
How can we just sit by and watch this man be locked away for exposing the crimes and atrocities committed by the U.S Government?

A crazy crazy time we live in.
Because he indiscriminately released hundreds of thousands of pages of classified data that could have put innocent people at risk and hurt international relations around the world?

If the guy had just found the videos and other files relevant to war crimes and sent them to Assange, I'd have a whole different perspective on this entirely.  He jeopardized the safety of people who weren't participating in any of the despicable acts we've seen.

Glenn Greenwald details some of it here (though he doesn't place any blame on Manning):  http://www.salon.com/2011/09/02/wikileaks_28/singleton/

By all means, I think war crimes perpetrated by any government and/or military should be exposed, but in a time when information can spread across the world almost instantaneously, there's a responsibility to monitor the information you leak.

I don't know Manning's motivations.  If they were truly noble, I agree with his motivations but not his method.

I also believe strongly in the rule of law.  And while it is disgraceful that certain individuals who perpetrated war crimes walk free today, I support the prosecution of someone who broke the law (and not an unjust law, I might add).  There's no issue of guilt in this case, as Manning plead guilty.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #616 on: August 22, 2013, 01:54:03 pm »
Bear in mind that Manning is going to prison for 35 years because he released, among other things, video of American helicopter troops shooting and killing 11 adults, including two Reuters employees, and wounding two children. None of the dead or the wounded had opened fire or threatened to do so. The troops who did the killing (and joked about it afterwards) were not charged.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: August 22, 2013, 02:04:06 pm »
Looks to me as though Manning got 35 years for embarrassing his government rather than betraying his country.  Yes we all know this sort of crap happens but it is all hidden.  What he did was put it out in the public domain.

As I have said several times, the main reason governments and corporations hate things like the Internet is because it makes friends of people whom it is in said governments and corporations' interest remain enemies.  Freedom of information is a no-no because they think they're the only ones qualified to handle it.  Imagine if we'd had the internet during the 1980s for example?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: August 22, 2013, 02:54:23 pm »
FOX will love that...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #621 on: August 22, 2013, 02:59:52 pm »
Chelsea was foolish. Chelsea is now paying the price.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Mizerooskie

• Kopite
« Reply #622 on: August 22, 2013, 04:15:43 pm »
Bear in mind that Manning is going to prison for 35 years because he released, among other things, video of American helicopter troops shooting and killing 11 adults, including two Reuters employees, and wounding two children. None of the dead or the wounded had opened fire or threatened to do so. The troops who did the killing (and joked about it afterwards) were not charged.
One of the group had an RPG and two had AK-47s. 

This video is one of the reasons I can't stand Julian Assange.  Under the visage of attempting to create an unbiased, transparent resource for viewing government actions, he modified this video into his 'Collateral Murder' propaganda. He didn't release it in raw form, didn't indicate that the incident had been previously reported by the Washington Post and New York Times (the day after the incident occurred, I believe), or that the military had already lodged an investigation and found no war crime had been committed.  A US helicopter crew in a fire zone asked permission to fire on a group they thought were armed insurgents (actual weapons were present in the group and the cameras were mistaken as weapons) and was granted permission.  There was no cover-up and no war crime.  It was a tragic mistake.  And I understand that you can argue that the US is fighting and illegal and immoral war (I'd find it hard to disagree), but this incident, in the context of a war, is nothing extraordinary.  A sobering thought

It was not that video that got Manning 35 years, it was the shear number of laws he broke.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #623 on: September 6, 2013, 07:22:07 am »
How secure is ANY of our personal data if this proves to be true?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23981291

George Orwell was clearly mistaken about the scenario he envisioned and created in his 1948 novel "1984". The real intrusive state - and astoundingly a "free" capitalist one - fast approaches . . .

or maybe it's already arrived.

There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #624 on: September 6, 2013, 09:17:49 am »

Johnno, it's not, and never has been since Tudor days.

Pre-WWW it could all be accessed by appropriate authorities when required, and nothing has changed since other than the technology we employ to communicate. And this same technology makes collection and processing of this information even faster and easier for the authorities.

Around 12 years ago I was peripherally involved with this software when it was being targeted into the Financial sector to detect and analyse possible rogue trading patterns.

Back then, it was accepted that certain Government departments had been using it for some time, along with similar software, quite extensively on assorted backbone switches.

The public releases have come on a lot since then.

"....now has a host-based analysis capability that allows you to monitor traveling employees’ internet activity, even if they are using their company laptop on public wifi."

So somewhere out there, there will highly likely be a log or set of logs that can be parsed to re-construct much of your Internet activities, possibly even going back quite a good few years more than you might expect. So if you don't want your activities to be capable of being monitored, don't use the Internet. If you don't want your geographical position to be monitored, turn off your mobile. And encryption won't be too much help to you as traffic analysis is exceptionally sophisticated these days so strange patterns, especially if employing encryption, will always attract beady eyes which of course are pretty much automated in their gazing these day.

Just think, all those porn sites you visited, accidentally of course, the exact dates and times......

But my concern is not Government agencies accessing my Bank details, private email exchanges, phone call records or monitoring my browsing patterns, I have nothing to hide from them, but commercial organisations, perhaps not even based here in the UK, gaining access to what we are led to assume is private and confidential information about ourselves. For example, medical records.

With the way outsourcing of everything is going in the fanatical pursuit to engineer profit, this is what people should perhaps really be worried about.

(Incidentally, as a teenager back in the late 60's, I was made aware that although any published book was available through the public library system, if you asked for certain titles, SB would be automatically informed. It really should be expected that the same sort of rules apply these days to some url's.)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline masch

• potato
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #625 on: September 6, 2013, 01:54:21 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23981291

George Orwell was clearly mistaken about the scenario he envisioned and created in his 1948 novel "1984". The real intrusive state - and astoundingly a "free" capitalist one - fast approaches . . .

or maybe it's already arrived.

I'm currently an academic cryptographer---this is the biggest of all the Snowden leaks by far.  It's hard to say how far it goes but in terms of intentions & settings precedents it's pretty shocking,

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #626 on: February 24, 2014, 08:37:43 pm »
This is a fascinating - and very long - piece by Andrew O'Hagan in the London a Review of Books, of his time as Julian Assange's official ghostwriter. 

Assange's paranoia, narcissism and how infuriating he is as a collaborator is evident here.

He was in a state of panic at all times that things might get out. But he manages people so poorly, and is such a slave to what he’s not good at, that he forgets he might be making bombs set to explode in his own face. I am sure this is what happens in many of his scrapes: he runs on a high-octane belief in his own rectitude and wisdom, only to find later that other people had their own views – of what is sound journalism or agreeable sex – and the idea that he might be complicit in his own mess baffles him. Fact is, he was not in control of himself and most of what his former colleagues said about him just might be true. He is thin-skinned, conspiratorial, untruthful, narcissistic, and he thinks he owns the material he conduits. It may turn out that Julian is not Daniel Ellsberg or John Wilkes, but Charles Foster Kane, abusive and monstrous in his pursuit of the truth that interests him, and a man who, it turns out, was motivated all the while not by high principles but by a deep sentimental wound. Perhaps we won’t know until the final frames of the movie.

And here’s the hard bit. Those of us who grew up in the 1980s and 1990s, especially in the United Kingdom under Thatcher and Blair, those of us who lived through the Troubles and the Falklands War, the miners’ strike, the deregulation of the City, and Iraq, believed that exposing secret deals and covert operations would prove a godsend. When WikiLeaks began this process in 2010, it felt, to me anyhow, but also to many others that this might turn out to be the greatest contribution to democracy since the end of the Cold War. A new kind of openness suddenly looked possible: technology might allow people to watch their watchers, at last, and to inspect the secrets being kept, supposedly in our name, and to expose fraud and exploitation wherever it was encountered in the new media age. It wasn’t a subtle plan but it smacked of the kind of idealism that many of us hadn’t felt for a while in British life, where big moral programmes on the left are thin on the ground. Assange looked like a counter-warrior and a man not made for the deathly compromises of party politics. And he seemed deeply connected to the web’s powers of surveillance and counter-surveillance. What happened, though, is that big government opposition to WikiLeaks’s work – which continues – became confused, not least in Assange’s mind, with the rape accusations against him. It has been a fatal conflation. There’s a distinct lack of clarity in Julian’s approach, a lack that is, I’m afraid, only reinforced by the people he has working with him. Only today, he sent me an email – hearing I was writing this piece – telling me it was illegal for me to speak out without what he called ‘appropriate consultation’ with him. He wrote of his precarious situation and of the FBI investigation into his activities. ‘I have been detained,’ he said, ‘without charge, for 1000 days.’ And there it is, the old conflation, implying that his detention is to do with his work against secret-keepers in America. It is not. He was detained at Ellingham Hall while appealing against a request to extradite him to Sweden to answer questions relating to two rape allegations. A man who conflates such truths loses his moral authority right there: I tried to spell this out to him while writing the book, but he wouldn’t listen, sometimes suggesting I was naive not to consider the rape allegations to have been a ‘honey trap’ set by dark foreign forces, or that the Swedes were merely keen to extradite him to America. Because he has no ability to see through other people’s eyes he can’t see how dishonest this conflation seems even to supporters such as me. It was a trap he built for himself when he refused to go to Sweden and instead went into the embassy of a nation not famous for its respect for freedom of speech. He will always have an answer to these points. But there is no real answer. He made a massive tactical error in not going to Sweden to clear his name.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46:51 pm »
Interesting - thanks for posting Ray K.

O'Hagan's not the first sympathiser to conclude that Assange is cracked and a slave to conspiracy theory - as well as someone determined that there shall be no freedom of speech when it comes to discussing Assange or Wikileaks. Fortunately he's not in a position to shut people up.

Ecuador - should he ever get there - might come as a shock to the poor bastard too. Journalists have a pretty thin time of it in that country; as does the concept of 'freedom of speech'. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #628 on: February 24, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »
And here’s the hard bit.

I don't really see the point of this part. He starts off by saying that "it felt that this might turn out to be the greatest contribution to democracy since the end of the Cold War." The rest of the paragraph implies that it wasn't, because, well, Assange is not a very nice guy. I fail to see the connection.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #629 on: February 24, 2014, 09:11:17 pm »
I don't really see the point of this part. He starts off by saying that "it felt that this might turn out to be the greatest contribution to democracy since the end of the Cold War." The rest of the paragraph implies that it wasn't, because, well, Assange is not a very nice guy. I fail to see the connection.

Because Wikileaks became all about Assange rather than the material being leaked.  Which wouldn't be so bad only for Assange's egotism.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #630 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:49 pm »
Because Wikileaks became all about Assange rather than the material being leaked.

But it didn't, though those at the wrong end of the leaks would certainly like us to think so. The article itself says:

What happened, though, is that big government opposition to WikiLeaks’s work – which continues – became confused, not least in Assange’s mind, with the rape accusations against him.

And then the author himself confuses the rape accusations with the wikileaks' contributions to democracy.

Offline Lots of Medals

• Anny Roader
« Reply #631 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:53 pm »
Assange's personality means nothing, his contribution to exposing the crimes of the worlds politicians should be embraced. Paranoia I suspect comes with the flash backs from being hounded day and night not knowing if you will wake up or if you do will it be at Guantanamo.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #632 on: February 25, 2014, 12:14:34 am »
Assange's personality means nothing

Aw. That's sweet, that kind of idealism. Of course his personality shouldn't matter but it does. Welcome to the World. Perhaps it takes a flawed person to have the sort of balls out confidence to do something like wikileaks. Would the Guardian have picked it up were they not swayed by the guy?

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #633 on: February 25, 2014, 06:24:22 am »
I wonder what this c*nt will get. Fucking horrible piece of shit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23761106
And they wonder why they aint winning "hearts and minds"
JFT 96

Offline Lots of Medals

• Anny Roader
« Reply #634 on: February 25, 2014, 10:25:02 am »
Aw. That's sweet, that kind of idealism. Of course his personality shouldn't matter but it does. Welcome to the World. Perhaps it takes a flawed person to have the sort of balls out confidence to do something like wikileaks. Would the Guardian have picked it up were they not swayed by the guy?

Disagree Corky,  they were swayed ....at first .... by what was being disclosed. I don't think they met him until after they had published sone wiki leaks stuff. They began to backtrack a bit under threat and the fury regarding the accusations of rape. I am far from being an idealist, my comment you take issue with shows that. Assange's personality is being used subjectively to divert the idealists away from the objective exposure of the crimes of imperialism. Only nice guys can contribute to the cause eh?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:53 am »
The Guardian began to back-track when they realised what a paranoid fuckwit he was. They weren't too impressed that he seemed to be surrounded by ideological anti-semites either.

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #636 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:31 am »
I may be wrong here, but I believe what LoM is saying is that it doesn't matter if he's an egotist, or anti-semite, what he revealed is true and that is what's important.

The other factors only become important if Assange is the discussion.

He seems to be inferring a conspiracy in order that we do that, but his premise seems sound.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #637 on: February 25, 2014, 11:10:48 am »
I agree but Assange has become the message, rather than the bearer, which is unfortunate (and possibly deliberate).

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: July 30, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »
This is very interesting. Not a friend of Clinton's, clearly, but presents convincing arguments that wikileaks has been doing Putin's dirty work for a while.

http://observer.com/2016/07/wikileaks-dismantling-of-dnc-is-clear-attack-by-putin-on-clinton/

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: July 31, 2016, 04:50:00 pm »
This is very interesting. Not a friend of Clinton's, clearly, but presents convincing arguments that wikileaks has been doing Putin's dirty work for a while.

http://observer.com/2016/07/wikileaks-dismantling-of-dnc-is-clear-attack-by-putin-on-clinton/
Certainly interesting, but I don't find it remotely convincing.

Given that Assange is not the most popular figure among the ruling political classes in the west, we can assume they will, and have, tried to discredit him repeatedly. It's an obvious tactic. You discredit him, you discredit wikileaks and you therefore undermine the credibility of everything on there.
So are we supposed to take everything this former NSA and counterintelligence officer says at face value? Could this article not be part of a larger campaign against Assange to paint him in a negative light? I'm not saying it is necessarily. But given the guy's background, we have to consider it at least.

He says Snowden is a Russian spy, and links to some sketchy article in Bild (Germany), hardly the most convincing news source to say the least.
He claims Assange knew the Kremlin would welcome Snowden when he was seeking asylum, and ponders how exactly he could have known. But Russia had come out publicly and stated they would welcome him, so I'm not sure what the point is there except to suggest Assange has connections high up in Russia, though he points to no-one in particular.

He makes the needless comparison of wikileaks to the 1970s magazine Covert Action Information Bulletin, simply by equating Snowden to their former editor who ended up in Cuba, but without any real facts beyond that.

He finds it strange that Assange felt the FSB might offer good protection. I don't find that strange at all. Who better to protect you from the threat of western security forces than the people who've been trained to thwart them? I certainly wouldn't be ruling them out on ideological grounds centered on issues of privacy, as the author suggests Assange should have, if I felt my life was in grave danger.

He also talks about how Russia has planted fake emails among the leaked DNC emails, a tactic he calls 'disinformation' and describes it as 'a venerable Russian spy trick that can be politically devastating to its target.'
Is he seriously asking us to believe his former buddies at the NSA or CIA never used disinformation? I would have thought it was a primary weapon in any intelligence based organization.

When exactly did Russia plant these fake emails? Could they not have planted them without wikileaks knowing, given the huge amount of data we're talking about here? He doesn't even attempt to address that.

The general tone of the whole article and the language he uses is so belligerent and one-sided, that I find much of it hard to swallow. It's not the language you'd see used by a competent investigative journalist, which of course he isn't. He's a former counterintelligence officer who worked for the NSA, an organization who openly lied about it's public spying program.

Given the damage wikileaks could do to successive US governments, I'd find it strange if Russia didn't try to engage with the site (or Assange) in some way, by fair means or foul. My enemy's enemy is my friend and all that. How complicit wikileaks might be in that relationship is another story. This article doesn't really convince me anyway.

I wouldn't call myself an Assange fanboy by any stretch, but I do find the whole wikileaks phenomenon interesting. Given that we're in the world of hacktivism/hacking and intelligence/counter-intelligence here, it's very hard for anyone not involved directly to take any of it at face value. It's a game of smoke of mirrors being played out in a media landscape of smoke of mirrors.