Author Topic: Green Day: One of the greatest punk rock bands this decade!!!!!  (Read 9217 times)

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Green Day: One of the greatest punk rock bands this decade!!!!!
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2010, 01:24:06 am »
Because it's more like Aerosmith than punk.

Run along now, Dewey, and find someone who has written something to the contrary so you can pass it off as your own.

Run, run....

uh look, corkry never answered the question and has his cronies tampering with posts again.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2010, 09:53:22 am »
Green Day, a polarizing band. Love them or hate them, there is no middle ground. To be honest, they abandoned the true ethos of punk when they went mainstream. The past couple of records are nothing close to punk, they're contrived concept albums that didn't register with me. That said, I loved their early work, but there are hundreds of bands that you could say that about. The truth is that there haven't really been any punk bands this decade.

Hmm. No I don't agree. I for instance like them, don't love em, don't hate em, just like them, and I think lots of people around feel similarly. I also think that people hatred of them doesn't really stem from their music, its their image.

People hate their image so much they don't listen to the their music which is decent, not the best I've ever heard, but certainly not absolute shit either. Then they try to be all cool by saying that they're like the Jonas brothers, which they are not because they Billy Joe Armstrong is a talented songwriter with a unique voice and style, and the Jonas brothers are entirely corporate creation, to the point that its hard to even call them a band. They are just a marketing tool really.

Now I don't like how their recent albums have been produced and edited; its that same annoying plastic compression bullshit you hear everywhere these days, but their songs are fucking catchy and structurally dynamic, so it can be forgiven.

And i also don't get this "sell out" stuff to be honest. I thought sell out means you sacrifice artistic integrity for money. Green Day is as far as I can see doing the sort of stuff that I would do if I reached that level of popularity: making concept albums, musicals, double LPs, just fucking around really. Its certainly not brilliant, but it does seem like they're having fun with it. In the end that's what matters really.
I'm liking this Refo-fella. Wanna adopt?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2010, 09:54:55 am »
:lmao

What a brilliant thread. Some of you like to get heated about anything eh. Anything for an argument. For the record, Green day are and always have been utterly rubbish in my view, but that's just it.

Don't get all upset about it.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »
uh look, corkry never answered the question and has his cronies tampering with posts again.

Yeah.

Hey, Dewey, quit sending me abusive PMs, willya?

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2010, 11:03:42 pm »
I'd class their early stuff as punk i.e. Dookie but they were accused of selling out after joining a major label. They are still a good band and great live but not really punk anymore.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2010, 11:21:09 pm »
If you're going to be a 'punk' band and you're seriously sitting round a table and  considering calling a collection of your newest songs 'Dookie', make sure it's fucking good. Unfortunately Green Day didn't.

Green Day are an absolute shite. FUCK their early stuff he yelps in Spinal Tap type glee!, look what followed!! A fallow, lead me by the nose series of commercially acceptable head bopping tunes, finely tuned to the punktamptuouslypaedophiliac audience that needed it. These are 4 year olds who listen to this! I mean surely to crap self respecting 6 year olds are filing complaints.

Green Day are for children. 5 year olds... max. If you are 6 and above and interested in Green Day you've missed a massive boat. I'm sure there are charities involved that can help.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2010, 11:32:29 pm »
Quote from: Filler. link=topic=261702.msg7256990#msg7256990 date=128t. I'm sure there are charities involved that can help.
[/quote

Thanks for the advice oh great one...

Now fuck off.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2010, 02:41:25 am »
I'd class their early stuff as punk i.e. Dookie but they were accused of selling out after joining a major label. They are still a good band and great live but not really punk anymore.

Dookie is a good pop record but it was also when they went down hill. Their first two albums are better.

Probably not a serious thread but the best Punk band this decade is either NOFX or Rancid. They have the ethos and/or the music.

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2010, 08:44:09 am »
Punk!? They play straight up, middle of the road, ballad rock.

Offline RedSeattleite

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2010, 04:56:21 am »
Not punk. Pop punk at best in the beginning. Even then I would hardly call it that.
1492. We were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent  for hundreds of years before that. It was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat , and kill them.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2010, 10:30:42 am »
:lmao

What a brilliant thread. Some of you like to get heated about anything eh. Anything for an argument. For the record, Green day are and always have been utterly rubbish in my view, but that's just it.

Don't get all upset about it.

I hate you I hate you. I hope 10,000 goats fart in your direction! :)
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:34 am »
they hate the usa and bush  so thats another good point.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2010, 11:38:05 am »

Yes, true. And the lead singer is bisexual as well. How punk can you get with that.

Punk is alive and kicking...
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2010, 01:37:35 pm »

Why to they still live there then, paying taxes when I'm sure they have enough money to live elsewhere? Fair enough,they most probably hate Bush (oo-er,) but then again, who doesn't? The best word to describe Greenday is 'Psuedo-Rebellious.'

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #94 on: May 1, 2011, 12:16:15 am »
"I hope you had the time of your life".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AtmzDP7LztI?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AtmzDP7LztI?fs=1</a>

Punk as fuck, them lads!

Then again, I suppose The Clash sold Levi's at one stage.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 1, 2011, 12:37:27 am »
It's their image that fucks me off, some decent tunes but as someone mentioned before 30 year olds wearing make-up and acting angsty to remain relevant sickens my shit.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #96 on: May 1, 2011, 12:38:07 am »
It's their image that fucks me off, some decent tunes but as someone mentioned before 30 year olds wearing make-up and acting angsty to remain relevant sickens my shit.

40, more like.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 1, 2011, 12:49:45 am »
40, more like.

You fuckin' serious? Jesus, next they'll be driving around in MG convertibles, doused in Eau de Adidas and listening to their own CDs

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #98 on: May 1, 2011, 12:54:27 am »
They're a great band, who have proved they can perform multiple genres. Billie Joe is a very talented musician.
Also, best band I've seen live and that always helps.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 1, 2011, 01:00:36 am »
They're a great band, who have proved they can perform multiple genres. Billie Joe is a very talented musician.
Also, best band I've seen live and that always helps.

They are good live, remember catching them at the Witness festival years back, remember them pulling a young fella up on stage and letting him play a song with them, he got to keep the guitar.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #100 on: May 1, 2011, 01:03:47 am »
"I hope you had the time of your life".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AtmzDP7LztI?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AtmzDP7LztI?fs=1</a>

Punk as fuck, them lads!

Then again, I suppose The Clash sold Levi's at one stage.
Nah mate.The Clash were all about the Farahs,well that, and Pringle V Necks

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #101 on: May 1, 2011, 01:04:58 am »
They are good live, remember catching them at the Witness festival years back, remember them pulling a young fella up on stage and letting him play a song with them, he got to keep the guitar.
Must've been a gimmick of theirs,cos they did the exact same thing at Leeds Festival
« Last Edit: May 1, 2011, 01:07:32 am by Capon Debaser »

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #102 on: May 1, 2011, 01:09:48 am »

They've always done that. They get someone up who can play 'Knowledge' by Operation Ivy, give it a good butchering with a horn section and then come across as that nice band who had that fella up. Pisses me off to be honest. Operation Ivy are one of my favourite bands ever.

Anyway, first time they played over this way was in 1989. A place called 'The Loft' in Temple Bar. Apparently there was 16 people at it. The place was pulled down a few weeks late cos it was structurally unsound. Now though, it's just a pile of bloated, stadium-rock bollocks.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #103 on: May 1, 2011, 01:13:23 am »
Nah mate.The Clash were all about the Farahs,well that, and Pringle V Necks

Remember this little ditty? ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LqCkLHwUkV8?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LqCkLHwUkV8?fs=1</a>

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 1, 2011, 04:04:17 pm »
Just checked in to say - Green Day, still shite, always have been, always will be, lowest common denominator music for deaf Americans - thanks, bye.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #105 on: May 1, 2011, 04:31:11 pm »
Just checked in to say - Green Day, still shite, always have been, always will be, lowest common denominator music for deaf Americans - thanks, bye.

There was a time when I would've disagreed with you. However, that time would have been 16 years ago when I was 14 years old.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 1, 2011, 04:35:13 pm »
Punk? Appeared in The Simpsons Movie. Sell outs. Plus they are gash.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 1, 2011, 07:44:29 pm »
dont know if they are punk rock or not but boulevard and american idiot were great tracks.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 1, 2011, 07:59:38 pm »
About as punk as my mothers underpants.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 1, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »
Dookie is a good pop record but it was also when they went down hill. Their first two albums are better.

Probably not a serious thread but the best Punk band this decade is either NOFX or Rancid. They have the ethos and/or the music.

If the category was best mainstream punk band NOFX or Rancid would take the prize. But best punk band this decade? Not even top 100.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 1, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »
Always hated Green day, extremely overrated in my opinion.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 1, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »
Green Day are an appalling band. God what a sham of a mockery of a sham. In my day, we had Careless Whisper to rage against, I'm sure the next generation are laughing their bollocks off at Green Day. Riding a wave that they neither know how to climb onto or climb off.

Offline TropicalRed

• Winner of the inaugral RAWK award for the highest number of youtube clips of godawful bands.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #112 on: May 1, 2011, 10:06:21 pm »
I quite like Greenday...wouldn't say they are punk though. They make some catchy as fuck guitar driven music and that is all good and as deep as it goes with me. I couldn't give a fuck what genre they are supposed to be, I couldn't careless that they wear make-up or what they look like, they write catchy songs and that's all that matters. I would rather listen to Greenday than 90% of the shite in the charts!! Correction..just checked out the top 40....I would rather listen to Greenday than 100% of the absolute and utter shite in the charts!!!
Just a word about my Avatar..I am Liverpool, I have always been Liverpool and I will remain Liverpool until my dying day. Me Mam come's from Hartlepool so this avatar is for my dear old mam!!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 3, 2011, 08:45:25 am »
Green Day are an appalling band. God what a sham of a mockery of a sham. In my day, we had Careless Whisper to rage against, I'm sure the next generation are laughing their bollocks off at Green Day. Riding a wave that they neither know how to climb onto or climb off.

Why so much hate for a band that has done good?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 3, 2011, 10:03:43 am »
Why so much hate for a band that has done good?

Done good what? Billie Joe Armstrong might look back into his toilet bowl and think 'That's a good shit' from time to time, but musically? They're utter wank.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 3, 2011, 10:21:26 am »
Done good what? Billie Joe Armstrong might look back into his toilet bowl and think 'That's a good shit' from time to time, but musically? They're utter wank.

Utter wank in comparison to what exactly?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 3, 2011, 10:56:07 am »
Utter wank in comparison to what exactly?

I don't need to make a comparison. It's shite. It's shite compared to Beethoven, and it's shite compared to silence. All the way along the musical spectrum, wherever you put it, it would be shite.

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #117 on: May 3, 2011, 11:00:45 am »
Green Day are utter pish. If you want proper punk, get hold of the early Suicidal Tendencies albums.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 3, 2011, 11:00:59 am »
I don't need to make a comparison. It's shite. It's shite compared to Beethoven, and it's shite compared to silence. All the way along the musical spectrum, wherever you put it, it would be shite.

err..alright then. What would you consider to be genuine punk?

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 3, 2011, 11:13:27 am »
Green Day are utter pish. If you want proper punk, get hold of the early Suicidal Tendencies albums.

Got the first one on marbled vinyl, good shit.