Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 392855 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #560 on: November 15, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »
Fan of the comics, and the potential is there, as we seen in the pilot and in brief glimpses since then. And i just like to have something to moan about.

:D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #561 on: November 15, 2011, 08:47:01 pm »
Really getting bored of this now, another sub standard episode.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #562 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »
Okay, just caught up on episodes 4 and 5 and have to say they were both pretty terrible episodes.

Is it the mid season break now or is there another episode?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #563 on: November 16, 2011, 12:34:25 am »
Really getting bored of this now, another sub standard episode.

General consensus has been the same....thus far.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: November 16, 2011, 12:55:42 am »
Needs less bullshit drama, more zombies. Thanks.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: November 16, 2011, 01:02:30 am »
Needs less bullshit drama, more zombies. Thanks.

Agreed.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: November 16, 2011, 01:14:52 am »
The disappointment with the second season makes me hope Brad Pitt's take on World War Z is legit.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #567 on: November 16, 2011, 09:19:47 am »
The budget is driving the story.

Great television tends to come where the creative team have a story to tell - and then they squeeze it so it fits into the budget. This series just feels like they have decided how much they can afford, and have written to the budget.

Episode 5 spoiler:
Spoiler
And can they telegraph stuff any more obviously? In the previous episodes we had a recap of the rooftop dehanding, and a mention of the one handed brother. At the start of the episode he was mentioned in the recap. They may of well have announced, the brother is in this episode.
[close]

Small focus character driven episodes can work - look at much of the early Lost for instance. But you have to do it really well - much better than we have seen from this writing team. Zombie gore is much easier to write as you have a much larger margin for failure.

Offline barnowl123

• Anny Roader
« Reply #568 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:20 am »
The budget is driving the story.

Great television tends to come where the creative team have a story to tell - and then they squeeze it so it fits into the budget. This series just feels like they have decided how much they can afford, and have written to the budget.

Episode 5 spoiler:
Spoiler
And can they telegraph stuff any more obviously? In the previous episodes we had a recap of the rooftop dehanding, and a mention of the one handed brother. At the start of the episode he was mentioned in the recap. They may of well have announced, the brother is in this episode.
[close]

Small focus character driven episodes can work - look at much of the early Lost for instance. But you have to do it really well - much better than we have seen from this writing team. Zombie gore is much easier to write as you have a much larger margin for failure.

Agree. This is why I never watch "previously on..." regardless of what the show is. So much stuff is given away.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: November 19, 2011, 12:36:37 am »
I am very very curious what the fxxx those xxxxxx are doing in the barn...!!!!!!!???!!!!

Offline Mivi

• Strawberry-flavoured Jayne Torvill ; 3,000,000 not out
  • Legacy Fan
  • By the way..........It's been emotional.
« Reply #570 on: November 19, 2011, 09:38:45 am »
I am very very curious what the fxxx those xxxxxx are doing in the barn...!!!!!!!???!!!!

Using spoiler just in case someone hasn't seen it yet....
Spoiler
I think it's probably friends & family. They'd be keeping them there just in case they find a cure?
[close]
It's cause he loks like a badger. Women fucking love badgers.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: November 19, 2011, 09:45:40 am »

Using spoiler just in case someone hasn't seen it yet....
Spoiler
I think it's probably friends & family. They'd be keeping them there just in case they find a cure?
[close]

That makes sense...

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:42 am »
Spoiler
It has been heavily hinted that the farming folk are pretty hard line Christians. Thus the instructions to let his people deal with the Zombies and no guns. Perhaps they feel that killing is wrong - and they don't buy the already dead get out clause. Thus if it is a mortal sin to kill Zombies, they feel the only alternative is to capture and imprison them.

Of course Zombies moan and groan, so why did nobody a hayloft full of them? It was hardly subtle...
[close]

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: November 19, 2011, 11:03:46 am »
Spoiler
It has been heavily hinted that the farming folk are pretty hard line Christians. Thus the instructions to let his people deal with the Zombies and no guns. Perhaps they feel that killing is wrong - and they don't buy the already dead get out clause. Thus if it is a mortal sin to kill Zombies, they feel the only alternative is to capture and imprison them.

Of course Zombies moan and groan, so why did nobody a hayloft full of them? It was hardly subtle...
[close]

Next episode is going to be interesting....why couldn't this have happened 1-2 episodes sooner.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #574 on: November 21, 2011, 07:51:39 am »
One of the best episodes yet, not by virtue of anything particular (lots of storylines a'brewin') but rather because nothing incredibly stupid happened and the characters were actually acting like human beings for once.

I think there's one more episode before the long winter break.  It's going to be interesting to see what they will do to make us want to wait almost 2 months for the next episode.

Spoiler
My guess is that the tension with Hershel will come to the fore and they will somehow find that little girl
[close]
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: November 21, 2011, 12:13:32 pm »
Don't see why they need to stop for 2 months..if anything, it could backfire on the number of viewers...why not let production continue.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:06 pm »
There's something about Laurie Holden. I wouldn't mind her grabbing my balls either.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: November 21, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »
There's something about Laurie Holden. I wouldn't mind her grabbing my balls either.
Indeed, she's quite good looking.

Good episode this week, shame about the break.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: November 21, 2011, 11:24:29 pm »
Some better acting in the lastest episode.
Spoiler
Still no real advancements plot wise
[close]
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #579 on: November 22, 2011, 10:43:24 am »
It's funny. After a couple of weeks of moaning about this from others, I didn't see anything to moan about. Now you're all saying it was better this week, and I actually thought it was worse.

They must have an awful lot of ammo stored away somewhere, because fuck me they waste a lot. Six of them standing in a row blasting at bottles and cans in a field, suddenly unconcerned about how much ammo they're wasting and, more importantly, attracting walkers. For the last few weeks all they've made reference to is how they can't shoot unless absolutely necessary because the noise could attract walkers, now here SIX of them are blasting away all over the place down by the woods. Well that makes sense.

I also thought the editing of this episode was absolutely awful, but that's just me.

I'm still enjoying it, but a lot happened in that episode which just doesn't make sense.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: November 22, 2011, 12:36:52 pm »
Can't believe this is a gale-anne hurd production. Seriously.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: November 22, 2011, 12:39:48 pm »
This worth watching then?

With Sons of Anarchy coming to the end of this season (only about 4 episodes left) then I need something new to watch.

I like the survival zombie films so is this similar or is it more talking less shit ya pants.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: November 22, 2011, 12:41:30 pm »

With Sons of Anarchy coming to the end of this season (only about 4 episodes left) then I need something new to watch.

I like the survival zombie films so is this similar or is it more talking and less shit ya pants?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: November 22, 2011, 02:49:34 pm »

I like the survival zombie films so is this similar or is it more talking and less shit ya pants?

The Zombies are really good.

As long as you are not expecting Shakespeare, it is an enjoyable enough romp.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: November 22, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
It's funny. After a couple of weeks of moaning about this from others, I didn't see anything to moan about. Now you're all saying it was better this week, and I actually thought it was worse.

They must have an awful lot of ammo stored away somewhere, because fuck me they waste a lot. Six of them standing in a row blasting at bottles and cans in a field, suddenly unconcerned about how much ammo they're wasting and, more importantly, attracting walkers. For the last few weeks all they've made reference to is how they can't shoot unless absolutely necessary because the noise could attract walkers, now here SIX of them are blasting away all over the place down by the woods. Well that makes sense.

I also thought the editing of this episode was absolutely awful, but that's just me.

I'm still enjoying it, but a lot happened in that episode which just doesn't make sense.
All that happens in the comics, though. It's how Andrea discovers that she's a good shot.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #585 on: November 22, 2011, 05:23:30 pm »
Characters are so bloody unlikable.

Only really care for Daryl and possibly Glenn.
:D

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Walking Dead
« Reply #586 on: November 22, 2011, 08:28:17 pm »
This show just completely washes over me, the characters are so bland and unremarkable, I honestly can't remember any decent character moments at all this season (except Shane shooting the fat guy), or even remember what happened for 95% of the last episode.

The shoddy storytelling and how the writers constantly ignore their own logic and established rules just makes it even worse.

I'm only here for the zombies.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
The Walking Dead
« Reply #587 on: November 23, 2011, 01:13:08 am »
Not getting any better really. So many poor actors in key roles, rick, dale, shane and lori in particular. Fucking awful, they make the hopeless writing sound much worse than it probably is, which is saying something.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: November 23, 2011, 01:17:37 am »
And we are now in episode 5..boy is still stuck in bed recovering, girl is still missing, horse is missing, xxxxxx in the barn but the door is locked, no apache gunships, no M1 battle tanks (how on earth are the tanks not able to run over the zombies???? Notice the 2-3 M1 tanks parked outside the CDC in season 1?).....

You would be tearing your hair out by now..or you should be!

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #589 on: November 23, 2011, 03:58:10 am »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  This show NEEDS flashbacks, from the time of/before the zombie apocalypse.  Not only would it be great for building the characters (because lets face it, we know barely any of their stories, families they had, jobs they used to do, etc etc) but also, it will be interesting to find out what caused it all too.

Did anyone watch Survivors on BBC a couple of years ago?  That was a similar drama, but the character building in that was spot on.  You really got up close and personal with them.
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: November 23, 2011, 08:32:17 am »
And we are now in episode 5..boy is still stuck in bed recovering, girl is still missing, horse is missing, xxxxxx in the barn but the door is locked, no apache gunships, no M1 battle tanks (how on earth are the tanks not able to run over the zombies???? Notice the 2-3 M1 tanks parked outside the CDC in season 1?).....

One or two of those issues are addressed in the episode to be shown on Friday. Don't get too excited about it though.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: November 23, 2011, 08:40:49 am »
One or two of those issues are addressed in the episode to be shown on Friday. Don't get too excited about it though.

I can't wait..because it's about time to put some closure on some of these on going topics.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: November 23, 2011, 09:10:29 am »
What season's this on now?

Downloaded season 1 last night (suprised it was only 6 episodes long like but makes sense considering they're an hour long.)

So far I'm enjoying it but some set pieces seem extremely slow and poorly done, such as the hostage exchange scenes where they go see Guiermo whose running the old peoples home. One minute they've all got guns to their heads, the next they're letting anyone just walk through the entire place, no check to see if anyone's infected, no caution at all.

Another scene that I thought was VERY poorly done was when...

Spoiler
Amy dies
[close]

...As it is just to obvious what's going to happen, they also done her final death porrly aswell, there should have been a lot more emotion shown, especially since it was her sister that'd turned into a flesh eating freak of nature.

The action scenes are quite good though and genuinly said "Well you're fucked" when Rick first entered Atlanta and encountered that street full of zombies.

It's a decent watch, but nothing that's breaking the barriers.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #593 on: November 23, 2011, 09:47:34 am »
It's a decent watch, but nothing that's breaking the barriers.

That about sums it up to be honest.

The annoying thing is, I think it's got the potential to be so much better than it is right now. The second season hasn't been as good as the first in my view and you almost get the impression it's coasting up to the winter break now, with a view to pushing on again in the spring.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: November 23, 2011, 09:48:57 am »
...which is why I can't see a season 3 the way they are going with this. I am surprised the writers and producers are not taking any flak in the USA with season 2. Surely they have had some feedback on how poorly season 2 has been thus far.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: November 23, 2011, 09:56:06 am »
That about sums it up to be honest.

The annoying thing is, I think it's got the potential to be so much better than it is right now. The second season hasn't been as good as the first in my view and you almost get the impression it's coasting up to the winter break now, with a view to pushing on again in the spring.

It's based on a comic isn't it?

I've never read the comics however, when watching it, you sometimes get the feeling that they're sticking a little to close to the source material.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: November 23, 2011, 11:45:11 am »

I think the problem you have with the show is that it's conflicting with your idea of what it would really be like in a logistical manner if something like this happened. You have to forget about all that. There are no tanks. No attack choppers with guns and missiles. This story takes place after all of that. It's supposed to be set in a world where the defences failed and got overrun. If logistics kicked in the way you wanted them to, then the group would be rescued and there'd be no story to tell. This is pure science fiction here. It's not The Sopranos. It's not The Wire, and it's not the show that I assume you based your RAWK title on.

I've often wondered how something like this could realistically happen in the way that it's shown here and in films, and I can't draw any kind of logical conclusion to it. The zombies would be too slow to cause a mass infection in the way that millions could overrun the armed forces of the world. People would get away or fight back enough to nip it in the bud fairly early on once it's accepted that dead people can walk. America has millions of guns for Gods sake. The only way I could see something like it happening and getting out of control in the way it does would be if something like birds, cattle or the general food supply got contaminated, or if there was some kind of contagion used by someone as a bio weapon. World War Z goes a bit out of the way in trying to come up with some kind of logic to a zombie outbreak. Well, at least to a certain degree of imagination anyway. That's what it's all about, I suppose: your imagination. If you start to think logically in most sci-fi or horror, then it will inevitably start to fall apart at the seams, most of the time.
It's based on a comic isn't it?

I've never read the comics however, when watching it, you sometimes get the feeling that they're sticking a little to close to the source material.
I think that's the problem with it. There are people moaning that it doesn't stick closely enough, but by god, if it did, then it would be horrible TV. For example - this isn't really a spoiler if you haven't watched the last episode BTW - there was a scene that Dr MH mentions in an above post. That scene involved the group having gun practice. This happens later on than what it does in the comics, but the fact that it took place in the comic meant that the writers obviously felt compelled to squeeze it in there, even if it contradicted some of the logic they created for themselves in the first few episodes. It's then left to the viewer to deduce ideas for themselves as to why these laws got broken, and that's leading to some of the problems people are having watching the show. It should really be explained a little more how they are able to get away with setting off so many gun shots without attracting the zombies. For me, I can just about pass it off that the farm is too isolated for many to be wondering around in the countryside.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:53:50 am by Macphisto80 »

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: November 24, 2011, 09:41:30 am »
Just started on Season 2, loved that first episode with the horde of walkers going past them, probably the most tense moment throughout the entire thing so far.

Don't like the...

Spoiler
Carl getting shot
[close]

...plot point though, especially the way Lorrie is showing hardly any mother like qualities when sitting beside her 'son.'

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: November 24, 2011, 09:01:51 pm »
Derryl has quickly become my favourite character.

They should do a spin off with him and Merl surviving on their own, and also do it so that they get seperated for the whole thing until the last few episodes before they meet up with the rest and it'll then tie in with TWD.

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: November 28, 2011, 02:35:47 pm »
the last 10 minutes of that episode was the best of the series.