Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 392705 times)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #480 on: November 8, 2011, 01:34:20 am »
ooo errr, I didn't complain about it when it was actually worth watching. Like season 1, but this season

Spoiler
since the girl went missing
[close]

it's been utter bollocks. It is after all a forum, not everyone is gonna wanna come in here & love it off 24/7
People are picking peanuts out of shite though, going to the ninth degree to be critical, like about Otis' missus not asking about him right away when Shane got back, and being sniffy about it, it doesnt fucking matter though, it doesnt take anything away, maybe she asked and got lied to, it didnt get shown, its not important.

As has been pointed out the kid has been missing for like 3 nights, they are filming it in a linear chronological fashion, day by day, so its going to be slow going, in order to develop the plot and flesh the story out. If they lost her, went looking and found her within five minutes people would be complaining was too easy, it was too quick, it was a pointless plot dead end that went nowhere. People like to piss and moan is the bottom line.
What we have is that single event, her running off and it has kicked off 20 other events in all kinds of directions, and allowed for character growth right across the board, via the characters showing how they are dealing with the current crisis and the larger issues at hand. Its the main catalyst for the stories progression, it might not be wild exciting, it might not be what you want or more importantly expect, but thats the way its going and you either accept it switch off and enjoy the ride or carry on being a whiney pussy picking the peanuts out of shite.

No you dont have to come in and love it, but you dont have to be critical for the sake of it, thats just as boring as a love fest, in fact its more boring because people go out of their way to be overly critical and moan about things which arent important.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: November 8, 2011, 02:38:12 am »
People are picking peanuts out of shite though, going to the ninth degree to be critical, like about Otis' missus not asking about him right away when Shane got back, and being sniffy about it, it doesnt fucking matter though, it doesnt take anything away, maybe she asked and got lied to, it didnt get shown, its not important.

As has been pointed out the kid has been missing for like 3 nights, they are filming it in a linear chronological fashion, day by day, so its going to be slow going, in order to develop the plot and flesh the story out. If they lost her, went looking and found her within five minutes people would be complaining was too easy, it was too quick, it was a pointless plot dead end that went nowhere. People like to piss and moan is the bottom line.
What we have is that single event, her running off and it has kicked off 20 other events in all kinds of directions, and allowed for character growth right across the board, via the characters showing how they are dealing with the current crisis and the larger issues at hand. Its the main catalyst for the stories progression, it might not be wild exciting, it might not be what you want or more importantly expect, but thats the way its going and you either accept it switch off and enjoy the ride or carry on being a whiney pussy picking the peanuts out of shite.

No you dont have to come in and love it, but you dont have to be critical for the sake of it, thats just as boring as a love fest, in fact its more boring because people go out of their way to be overly critical and moan about things which arent important.

I can't say I agree. I think this whole saga with her has been a completely pointless deviation & has added little to nothing to the overall story. About the only thing of any interest to come out of it was;

Spoiler
shane killing otis & only for the reason that it portrayed just how much of a ruthless c*nt he's prepared to be
[close]

I fully appreciate that there are times during a show when you have to lay the foundations for future story lines but the writing this season has been dire. The decisions they make as a group & as individuals make no sense whatsoever the majority of the time. Again;

Spoiler
The well
[close]

10 minutes of absolutely pointless television. It made fuck all sense, added nothing to the overall plot, didn't show us anything about the characters that we didn't already know. (other than that they're clearly a bunch of total fucking idiots) & was just a totally pointless inclusion.

Every time these people get in the shit it's when they split up, yet what do they keep doing? That's right, splitting up! The reason I have such a gripe about it is because it makes for completely unrealistic viewing, the whole draw of this show in the beginning was how you would react as people. How you would survive, how you would adapt but yet the characters are so one dimensional & so predictable that it makes for incredibly boring watching. The only person I actually give 2 shits about is Dale, the rest of them I'd be ecstatic if they got torn limb from limb.

I don't watch the show to come in here immediately afterwards & have a moan. I watch it because the basic premise of the story has a lot of promise but imo the writers have fucked it up big time & have taken something that could of been tense, gripping & incredibly dark (see the film adaptation of the road as a 'look what they could of done') & have turned it into a fucking snooze fest by persisting with incredibly dull sub plots

Spoiler
the missus being pregnant. Which she'll no doubt try to hide for no other reason than to try & make the viewer give a flying fuck about her, because without a baby her character has sweet fuck all going for her. Also this horse shit with the blonde girl, the will she/won't she eat a bullet fiasco
[close]

& a main storyline that seems to have completely lost it's way.

There's so much wrong with it, it's getting beyond a joke.

Spoiler
The conversation they had about sophia & what they should do if she's been turned. As if they have an option? Kill her maybe? Wtf else are they going to do? Keep her on a leash just incase they find a cure? It's ball achingly bad writing, that question wouldn't even come up!
[close]

You said that people were just looking for faults, imo you don't have to. The characters don't represent real people at all. Not even close, atleast 4 or 5 times an episode I find myself going eh?? :o at the weird decisions they make. It's got more holes in it than a sponge. I'll reiterate that I know some stupid decisions have to be made at times otherwise nothing would ever happen but this season they've happened with such startling regularity that I'm just baffled by the whole thing.

Spoiler
the drama about the doctor not being a doctor but a vet (shock horror) & rick's missus giving it the big 'un 'so you've never performed this procedure on a human before?' :shocked As viewers we're supposed to be gripped by the fact the boy is dying, his parents are supposed to be desperate for someone, anyone to do something to save him yet in the middle of all that she starts kicking off that he's not a surgeon? I mean for christ's sake! Again, that thought process wouldn't even enter your mind at that point in time. Christ you'd be thanking god at that very moment that the guy had kept him alive even that long not questioning his qualifications. It makes it incredibly difficult to take the characters or the show seriously
[close]

The main one being;

Spoiler
Sophia disappearing in the first place! Rick was armed ffs, why didn't he just take her with him? We've already seen on numerous occasions that these things aren't exactly difficult to kill, one swift hit to the head usually does it & worst case scenario he had a gun on him, but yet he bizarrely elects to dump her in a fucking creek before running off & leaving her alone while he dispatches some zombies. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough she disappears without even so much as a scream, without even seemingly trying to make her way back to the road.
[close]

It's just, bad! It's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering smashing out a script for the rest of the season, sending it to AMC with a little bow & a note saying 'thank me later'

Trained chimps could do a better job on this story!

All in all, I think people have a right to feel aggrieved at the direction the show is taking. If you'd like to switch off & just watch some zombies for 45 minutes that's fine & if you enjoy it that's great but I think it's a tad unfair to say that people are splitting hairs (though in some cases I'd agree). This season has been shit & unless they turn it around pretty sharpish I predict they're gonna lose a lot of viewers, me being one of them.

"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #482 on: November 8, 2011, 03:09:39 am »
Hand on heart to a great degree I cant really argue with any of the problems you have raised, thats proper constructive critism, which I dont mind at all, its the general moaning about minor details that irks me.

I can only guess that the real problem is not with the writers themselves, they dont tend to be as bad as has been leveled against them, but rather its with people higher up the chain having an input which isnt helping, I think thats often been the case when shows have been fucked up, happened with Battlestar Galactica till the writers and producers got control and got it back on track again.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Bondred

• Wouldn't know a palindrome from an emordnilap. Hi, I'm Bond. Blames Bond.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: November 8, 2011, 09:00:57 am »
I can't say I agree. I think this whole saga with her has been a completely pointless deviation & has added little to nothing to the overall story. About the only thing of any interest to come out of it was;

Spoiler
shane killing otis & only for the reason that it portrayed just how much of a ruthless c*nt he's prepared to be
[close]

I fully appreciate that there are times during a show when you have to lay the foundations for future story lines but the writing this season has been dire. The decisions they make as a group & as individuals make no sense whatsoever the majority of the time. Again;

Spoiler
The well
[close]

10 minutes of absolutely pointless television. It made fuck all sense, added nothing to the overall plot, didn't show us anything about the characters that we didn't already know. (other than that they're clearly a bunch of total fucking idiots) & was just a totally pointless inclusion.

Every time these people get in the shit it's when they split up, yet what do they keep doing? That's right, splitting up! The reason I have such a gripe about it is because it makes for completely unrealistic viewing, the whole draw of this show in the beginning was how you would react as people. How you would survive, how you would adapt but yet the characters are so one dimensional & so predictable that it makes for incredibly boring watching. The only person I actually give 2 shits about is Dale, the rest of them I'd be ecstatic if they got torn limb from limb.

I don't watch the show to come in here immediately afterwards & have a moan. I watch it because the basic premise of the story has a lot of promise but imo the writers have fucked it up big time & have taken something that could of been tense, gripping & incredibly dark (see the film adaptation of the road as a 'look what they could of done') & have turned it into a fucking snooze fest by persisting with incredibly dull sub plots

Spoiler
the missus being pregnant. Which she'll no doubt try to hide for no other reason than to try & make the viewer give a flying fuck about her, because without a baby her character has sweet fuck all going for her. Also this horse shit with the blonde girl, the will she/won't she eat a bullet fiasco
[close]

& a main storyline that seems to have completely lost it's way.

There's so much wrong with it, it's getting beyond a joke.

Spoiler
The conversation they had about sophia & what they should do if she's been turned. As if they have an option? Kill her maybe? Wtf else are they going to do? Keep her on a leash just incase they find a cure? It's ball achingly bad writing, that question wouldn't even come up!
[close]

You said that people were just looking for faults, imo you don't have to. The characters don't represent real people at all. Not even close, atleast 4 or 5 times an episode I find myself going eh?? :o at the weird decisions they make. It's got more holes in it than a sponge. I'll reiterate that I know some stupid decisions have to be made at times otherwise nothing would ever happen but this season they've happened with such startling regularity that I'm just baffled by the whole thing.

Spoiler
the drama about the doctor not being a doctor but a vet (shock horror) & rick's missus giving it the big 'un 'so you've never performed this procedure on a human before?' :shocked As viewers we're supposed to be gripped by the fact the boy is dying, his parents are supposed to be desperate for someone, anyone to do something to save him yet in the middle of all that she starts kicking off that he's not a surgeon? I mean for christ's sake! Again, that thought process wouldn't even enter your mind at that point in time. Christ you'd be thanking god at that very moment that the guy had kept him alive even that long not questioning his qualifications. It makes it incredibly difficult to take the characters or the show seriously
[close]

The main one being;

Spoiler
Sophia disappearing in the first place! Rick was armed ffs, why didn't he just take her with him? We've already seen on numerous occasions that these things aren't exactly difficult to kill, one swift hit to the head usually does it & worst case scenario he had a gun on him, but yet he bizarrely elects to dump her in a fucking creek before running off & leaving her alone while he dispatches some zombies. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough she disappears without even so much as a scream, without even seemingly trying to make her way back to the road.
[close]

It's just, bad! It's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering smashing out a script for the rest of the season, sending it to AMC with a little bow & a note saying 'thank me later'

Trained chimps could do a better job on this story!

All in all, I think people have a right to feel aggrieved at the direction the show is taking. If you'd like to switch off & just watch some zombies for 45 minutes that's fine & if you enjoy it that's great but I think it's a tad unfair to say that people are splitting hairs (though in some cases I'd agree). This season has been shit & unless they turn it around pretty sharpish I predict they're gonna lose a lot of viewers, me being one of them.

Great post and alarmingly spot on.
'If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'

Offline Twiggthemanc

• Thinks that Evra's by far a better left back than Evra. Definitely.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: November 8, 2011, 11:26:02 am »
Few responses:

Spoiler
I think that the man being a vet is certainly something you'd react to. You've complete confidence the man knows what he's doing, and whilst you're desperate for anything, to hear that the man you assumed was a doctor is actually never used to training on humans, would be massive.

Also, they've said they don't want to be using guns. As soon as a gun is used you attract them all from miles away. You get "herds" coming towards you, which is why it's best to be as quiet as possible.

I really don't mind the girl going missing either. This season has been almost perfect IMO.
[close]

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #485 on: November 8, 2011, 11:29:49 am »
Hand on heart to a great degree I cant really argue with any of the problems you have raised, thats proper constructive critism, which I dont mind at all, its the general moaning about minor details that irks me.

I can only guess that the real problem is not with the writers themselves, they dont tend to be as bad as has been leveled against them, but rather its with people higher up the chain having an input which isnt helping, I think thats often been the case when shows have been fucked up, happened with Battlestar Galactica till the writers and producers got control and got it back on track again.

The director and writers have to take the share of the blame...it's been "pointless" thus far...
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #486 on: November 8, 2011, 12:07:27 pm »
I thought the first few episodes of the first series were incredible, finally a zombie series that reminded me the feeling i had seeing George A. Romero's early work (not his dire recent work) It had me on the edge of my seat, the set up was brilliant. The characters were mysterious and realistic.

But since the first few episodes it has been going backwards in quality, quite like Mr. Romero. The more we see of the characters the more we see how stupid and boring they are, a mix of bad acting and writing. It's so annoying really because this show had the potential to be ground breaking, a revelation in modern zombie series. It could have achieved this by keeping the series dangerous, edgy and full on. Instead we see the same boring old stuff we have seen before. Someone used The Road as an example and that pretty much somes it up. The Road was incredibly powerful, emotional and full on, if The Walking Dead had carried this feeling on in there series it would have taken over The Soparnos in many peoples lists.

Instead i feel they have played safe with the series and just made this show for the masses rather than trying to make something much much more. A good show but not something i will have in my collection, same old S**t different day.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2011, 12:10:19 pm by adam18 »
-YNWA-

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: November 8, 2011, 02:09:39 pm »
Few responses:

Spoiler
I think that the man being a vet is certainly something you'd react to. You've complete confidence the man knows what he's doing, and whilst you're desperate for anything, to hear that the man you assumed was a doctor is actually never used to training on humans, would be massive.

Also, they've said they don't want to be using guns. As soon as a gun is used you attract them all from miles away. You get "herds" coming towards you, which is why it's best to be as quiet as possible.

I really don't mind the girl going missing either. This season has been almost perfect IMO.
[close]

Spoiler
I can certainly understand them reacting to him being a vet, sure. Her reaction especially though was painfully over done. What other choice did they have? As rick rightly pointed out it wasn't like they could take him to hospital. I just think it was really poorly written & alienated the viewer because it made her seem like she was living in a dream world.

As for Rick & the guns, when I mentioned he was armed I meant that in the sense that he could use it as an absolute last resort should a zombie be about to chow down on Sophia & if I'm not mistaken did he not have a bat or a crow bar or something with him? I just thought again it was really bad writing, it's like they'd wrote it, slapped each other on the back & gone for a beer without once questioning whether or not the scenario was either rational or believable.
[close]
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: November 8, 2011, 02:15:47 pm »

Thank you, as I said I don't talk down on the show for the sake of it. I want it to realise it's potential, that's why I watch it.

I think the writers have to take a large part of the blame but the way television in America works also has to shoulder some responsibility too. The way that shows almost have to 'audition' for a next season on the network as opposed to being told 'right you've got 3 seasons get on with it'

It makes it difficult for slow burners to get the chance to really get into the story for constant fear that the show will get dropped unless someone gets their head blown off or there's an explosion.

Spoiler
imo that's what the well was all about, nothing more than a badly stitched together opportunity to rip a zombie in half because they knew it was going to be a slow episode
[close]

Sadly that's exactly what happened to Rubicon which I firmly believe was one of the best TV shows in recent years. Every now & again one slips through the net but it is a shame that there seems to be almost this, fast food style culture surrounding American dramas in the sense that unless there's something happening 24/7 then it's not worth watching. It's all about the $ at the end of the day. Sad though it is.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2011, 02:38:11 pm by ghost1359 »

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Walking Dead
« Reply #489 on: November 8, 2011, 02:31:09 pm »
Pretty much agree with everything Adam said there. So much potential down the toilet, very disappointing.

I'm not too bothered about the little problems or inconsistencies, although the church bells not attracting a swarm did annoy me because it was clearly stated in that episode that loud noises are very dangerous and attract them, the problems are much more fundamental like the standard of writing and characterisation which is terrible, rote and boring. There are still no REALLY interesting characters, I like Daryl and Dale but there is nothing to them at all, and I think I only like Dale just because Jeffrey DeMunn is the only actor in the cast who actually knows how to play this type of material well.

What Shane did in episode three is the first "oh shit!" character moment and the first time they've surprised me since the pilot which isn't good enough for me. I don't want stuff like that every week of course, or even shit loads of zombies every week! But I want intriguing, interesting, cool, fun, well written characters doing interesting things. I still don't care about any of them, there is no-one to root for and I'm actively hoping some of them get eaten.

And don't give me the 'it's horror, it's always poorly written' excuse. That's not good enough or acceptable considering the general excellent standard of TV writing these days. This is from the same channel that produces Mad Men and Breaking Bad so they how to do it.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2011, 02:39:10 pm by Rusty Oysterburger »
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #490 on: November 8, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »
hate the Andrew Lincoln character. just hate him I don't know why. Norman Reedus 9bow and arrow man) is the real star imo. funny thing is that the show has been renewed for a 3rd season. hopefully next episode should be a goody. Michael Rooker is back! ;D
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #491 on: November 8, 2011, 04:11:45 pm »
This is a T.v series as well, which unlike Film has the luxury of making the viewer really know the characters, to love or hate them, to feel for them. I must have watched over 10 hours of The Walking Dead now and feel nothing towards any characters.
-YNWA-

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: November 8, 2011, 04:17:30 pm »
This is a T.v series as well, which unlike Film has the luxury of making the viewer really know the characters, to love or hate them, to feel for them. I must have watched over 10 hours of The Walking Dead now and feel nothing towards any characters.

Exactly how I feel about it mate

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #493 on: November 8, 2011, 04:20:04 pm »
I was hoping this would be a dark, desolate, tense show like that movie The Road was, but nope, not even close. So much potential, so little delivery.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: November 8, 2011, 04:28:44 pm »
Got to agree with everything ghost said, but especially the bit about the vet. I mean, fuck me. He'd already been tending to the boy since well before she even knew what happened. He'd stabilised him, well kinda, with only basic medical supplies. It was a fucking miracle he wasn't already dead. And that's how she goes on? I wanted him to turn around and say "Why don't YOU try doing the surgery you fucking ungrateful bitch."

I really hate her character. The stare thing she does every time she has to convey something serious. I can't wait until she dies, if I'm even still watching it by then.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: November 8, 2011, 07:37:16 pm »
It hasn't really been shite, though. First episode was good. Bit iffy in parts, but entertaining. Second episode was a lot better. Good pacing, decent enough. Third continued on from that and showed Shane to be a bit of a character that he wasn't in the comic counterpart. 4th episode was a bit stale. In fact, silly in parts. The bit with the well was just plain stupid, but I think the writers are getting too much involved with the special effects team and how they can write certain scenes in there to show them off, as it turned out at the end of that one particular scene. It was daft, but the visual impact at the end was worth it. It is following the comics more or less in one way or the other. The same things happen, although a bit differently. I recall the farm part being a bit slow in the comics too, and going by that, things do pick up, and more exciting things do happen after that, so I'm not worried about the show going down the shitter like some here are claiming it is. If you don't want to watch it now, then that's fine. You'll only be missing out on some of the better events to come. There is a reason Hershel won't let Rick near that big barn.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #496 on: November 8, 2011, 08:59:47 pm »
It isn't just me either, but I don't know the names of most of the characters off the top of my head.  I could understand if there was no character building because it had been constant zombie bashing, but it hasn't been either.  Just constant meh.  Like if you were to sum up the last episode to someone, if they asked you what happened, all you'd tell them was
Spoiler
That woman was pregnant
[close]
and that is it!
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: November 8, 2011, 10:25:46 pm »
I sit down to watch The Walking Dead every week and I enjoy it, why do I enjoy it? I'm one of those zombie lovers, you can put a zombie in anything and I'll watch it I fucking loves dem.

Like everyone else though I'm pissed off by the quality, or lack there of, of the writing.  I feel no empathy to the characters and I'm bored by their one dimensional nature.  Everybody talks about Daryl being great, he's not, he's boring he's been Han Solo'd.  While Han Solo started out as a bad ass smuggler intent only on profit and general badassery by the end of the Star Wars trilogy he's a wimpy bitch boy who won't fight for anything, including the woman he loves. While Daryl isn't a total pussy he's yet another 1 dimensional character, there should be suspense between him and T-Dog - there isn't. Daryl gives him medicine, no questions asked, he's wasting arrows to find out people's characters, he's even picking fucking flowers in the latest one. No doubt his brother will pop his head up again, at that point we need some badassery, at the minute Daryl is portrayed as the bad ass biking hillbilly crossbow firing motherfucker but actually displays none of the traits to back it up.

That's the problem with the characters in The Walking Dead. Like Lost before it the characters simply exist to be "that one".  Whenever they see a person he's "that one". Daryl is "the hillbilly", Rick is "the cop/dad", T-Dog is "the big black guy", Dale is "the old guy".  The only character with any depth is Shane and the writing has been so poor that the events that cause him to have any depth occur at such right angles that you immediately realise you're watching a plot device.

Never mind the stupidity of the people, that needs to exist in order for there to be a show.  Other zombie films get away with this by having the plucky gang meet people who did it right (Christopher Ecclestone in 28 days later) as if to say "yeah these people are just stupid", what drives me looney is that there is so much dialogue and absolutely no character development.  What have we learned about Rick in 4 episodes of this series?  Nothing, he loves his family (especially his son) - that's it.

When I watch a show like the Sopranos or Mad Men and especially The Wire it hits home how 1 dimensional these characters are.  In a situation as stressful as the end of the world it's amazing how well they all hold up.  There are poor attempts at philosophy (Rick's brief talk with the vet about God) and all that interests anybody watching the show when zombies are not on the screen is simply "I hope there's a zombie there".

Watch this, in a moment when nothing is happening bar people eating chicken you have a wonderful little insight into the character of D'Angelo and a nice analogy for the crack driven world they're in.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ky5d4hH1CPQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ky5d4hH1CPQ</a>

In short I don't give a shit about Rick, his dead-faced fucking wife, Daryl the hillbilly with a heart of gold or any other generic boring ass character, I'm rooting for the dead every time because these characters are boring.  They're whiter than white and nobody can relate, they don't feel like real people.  D'Angelo and Stringer feel like real people to me:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqNqyXLY4Rg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KqNqyXLY4Rg</a>

I'm hanging off every word there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksO_NZWcgoo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ksO_NZWcgoo</a>

In the Walking Dead there's no interesting tangents it's all simplicity at its worst.
"I love you", "I love my family", boring.

But I watch for the dead, they're more interesting.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2011, 10:27:29 pm by Degs »

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #498 on: November 8, 2011, 11:07:01 pm »
I agree with Degs completely.  Even the normally cringeworthy "blasts from the past" might be a good idea, to maybe get to know the characters better.  We really don't know if they had any family before the 'zombie outbreak' or anything.  We have no idea what caused the outbreak, and the story seems to be in no way whatsoever heading towards a conclusion with that.
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: November 8, 2011, 11:32:59 pm »
I agree with Degs completely.  Even the normally cringeworthy "blasts from the past" might be a good idea, to maybe get to know the characters better.  We really don't know if they had any family before the 'zombie outbreak' or anything.  We have no idea what caused the outbreak, and the story seems to be in no way whatsoever heading towards a conclusion with that.

I tend to agree with this....because thus far, episode 1,2 and 3 have been 'lost at sea.'
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #500 on: November 10, 2011, 02:02:16 pm »
Episode 4:
Spoiler
Horribly treading water. The lost girl plot has got stale. I was bored of it before the shooting, it is completely lacking interest.

You can see the writers shuffling pieces into place. Mr Vet is starting to lay down conditions, and is being a bit evangelical. The fumble in the chemist shows the potential to blow up in their faces and get all of them kicked out.

Given the well publicised budget cuts, the rural (i.e. cheap) location and lack of movement could be driven by budget rather than the story. The massed zombies at the school would have been expensive, so they needed a quiet episode with minimal effects to offset the cost. The well zombie being a sop as they could not have a zombie free episode.

Hopefully the twatting about on the farm is conserving the available budget for a spectacular end to the series.

Amongst the positives is that the one handed brother got a mention. Based on the crap writer theory, we could be seeing him again....

It feels like the 2nd season of Heroes.

They either need to make the characters interesting, or do something. Thus far, the redeeming features of this season are the zombie effects and the shock end to Episode 3. But it needs to get back on track if its ratings are going to hold up.
[close]

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: November 10, 2011, 02:23:54 pm »
The one good thing about this season is the hot young thing living at the ranch.

She is mighty fine.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: November 10, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »
The one good thing about this season is the hot young thing living at the ranch.

She is mighty fine.

Very, VERY fine. She has eye's for the korean dude.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #503 on: November 10, 2011, 02:37:50 pm »
i wonder why they havent gone down the 'game of thrones', 'camelot', 'spartacus' sex route. i wouldnt bother about dialogue or character structuring if there were guarunteed tits and zombies in every episode!!!!

Offline Twiggthemanc

• Thinks that Evra's by far a better left back than Evra. Definitely.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: November 10, 2011, 11:52:07 pm »
Honestly, I think a lot of complaints are valid, but I also think it's worth sticking with this show. No it's not as good as Mad Men/Wire/Sopranos. Not at all. But I think it's a lot better than most out there.

I also think that there's a lot more to some of these characters than you give them credit for. Rick may be the anchor, and pretty boring, but I think every other single character (bar Glenn) seems to be slipping. Lori, Shane, Dale, Andrea etc etc. I like it. i think it'll be worth it in the end, even if episode 4 did suck a bit.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: November 11, 2011, 12:03:32 am »
Honestly, I think a lot of complaints are valid, but I also think it's worth sticking with this show. No it's not as good as Mad Men/Wire/Sopranos. Not at all. But I think it's a lot better than most out there.

I also think that there's a lot more to some of these characters than you give them credit for. Rick may be the anchor, and pretty boring, but I think every other single character (bar Glenn) seems to be slipping. Lori, Shane, Dale, Andrea etc etc. I like it. i think it'll be worth it in the end, even if episode 4 did suck a bit.

I don't know how long the writers are going to get away with it but...season 3 could be a no go if they carry on the way they are with their scripts.

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: November 12, 2011, 06:36:39 am »
Brilliant post by ghost1359,sums the whole show up for me.....its going nowhere fast.

As somebody said earlier its turning out to be a bit like Heroes.

Episode 4 was very very boring,maybe budget cuts but Im not feeling it anymore..Ill give it another few episodes though

If you want a proper series go download "Homeland",Now thats a proper show...
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: November 12, 2011, 09:40:36 am »
Other than beauty making love to Korean dude, another dull, boring episode...the whole 20 minutes spent on the well scene could have been over and done with in 5 minutes...

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: November 13, 2011, 12:45:27 am »
Seen this post on AVforums

Food for thought...

The Otis thing; one second Shane told him to go ahead and leave HIM. Then the next second he's leaving him behind, throwing him to the zombies? Sure, under the mindset "one of us has to make it for the kid's sake" it makes sense, but with the amount of time the scuffle took they could have both easily made it back to the car!

Other things; why has nobody tracked down silencers for the guns?

How long is it after the zombie outbreak and if it's a long time, why are not more zombies merely dried husks by now?

Zombie Hunters. In the real world people would have formed teams with the sole purpose of clearing areas of zombies by now. It seems odd they haven't bumped into any yet.

How does infection occur? They seemed worried about blood getting into the water supply, but then splatter zombies up close and personal nearly every week, getting guts and blood on themselves. Heck, bow dude wipes blood off arows on his shirt!

If you think about it population wise we haven't seen that many zombies, so just how many people were saved and fled elsewhere? It must be a lot.

That highway. A lot of people seemed to be just dead in their cars. Not zombieified/mauled/eaten or shot. Just dead. What's going on here...? Many stores/houses seem to be left in pristine condition, doors shut, windows shut etc as if people just "vanished". Hmmm.

I assume at one point we're going to get a super herd of zombies? I'm just assuming because they follow man-made roads tracking scents/sounds, bump into others, who then track the same sounds/scents, who then bump into other herds, and end up following the same sounds/scents. If things go like that, after many years countries will end up with giant zombie super herds wandering around and lone stragglers will be uncommon.

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline louise0411

• Anny Roader
The Walking Dead
« Reply #509 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:57 am »
Haven't seen 4 yet but I thought 1,2 and 3 were really good. Especially 3. Not happy with Shane though.
www.twitter.com/louise0411

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez runs down the wing for me.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: November 13, 2011, 01:23:17 am »
Haven't seen 4 yet but I thought 1,2 and 3 were really good. Especially 3. Not happy with Shane though.

Who is?

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: November 13, 2011, 02:53:27 am »

As I said in my post, there are more holes in it than a sponge. Some more gaping than others.
Spoiler
the whole Shane & Otis rolling around on the floor thing did seem particularly stupid
[close]
I came so close to firing into another super long post about the flaws in this show then but thankfully reigned myself in.

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: November 13, 2011, 04:56:13 am »
I came so close to firing into another super long post about the flaws in this show then but thankfully reigned myself in.

Go for it pal...Id like to hear more...

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: November 13, 2011, 10:21:19 am »
Just looked on IMDB and seen that we've got 3 more episodes, then it ain't back on until Febuary. With the first part of this season not being up to much, I can't see many coming back to it.
Stupid American Winter breaks. The Event went the same way last year. Had so much potential, but after that Winter break, it turned out to be a great big steaming turd.
(And looking further on, a third series is on the way too.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:23:33 am by Ferg »
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:37 pm »
Why did the annoying wife just ask for a brand and not a pregnancy test kit? The world is screwed by zombies and all manufacturing has stopped and she wants a particular brand....wtf...isn't she lucky the chemist had her brand.

Why if there was to be no guns on the property, how did the blondie one produce a gun from her pocket?

Also, from something bothering me from a few episodes back, if they use their guns sparingly as the zombie attracted by the sound, why was Otis out shooting deer?
Why is Daryl riding the loudest motor bike that is known to mankind?

Looks like your man has finally given up his uniform, but surely that's stinking by now anyway?

Why did she feel the need to go outside for a moonlight piss with a penknife? Could she have not just done that in the bathroom with a locked door?

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #515 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:42 pm »
That post from Gigantic Lamb has made me realise just how fucking shit it is and for that reason I'm out

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: November 13, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
That post from Gigantic Lamb has made me realise just how fucking shit it is and for that reason I'm out

HAha it gets better....

Ive heard 2 more episodes and then a winter break till Feb or somethin like that...ffs

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: November 13, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »
Lamp, you're being extremely, and I do mean extremely, pedantic with your nitpicking. You can basically do the exact same thing for almost every single piece of TV or film there ever was and ever will be. Why does it even bother you if she went for a piss outside or inside or not? I can say the same for almost exactly every other thing. I've thought about the Otis thing about him going out and hunting with a gun too, but when you think about it, he's off somewhere in some secluded forest far away from the ranch. Just because it was stated in episode 1 from Morgan that firing a gun attracted loads of them doesn't mean that everyone else had the same experience and followed by some kind of "don't-do-this" kind of zombie code book. There is no formula here in this world. It's just survival in a fictional world where the dead have come back to life to feed and have overrun the living. If you want complete and total realistic logic with no holes, then don't watch a fictional TV show. Watch a documentary instead, although I doubt you'll find one about flesh eating dead zombies anywhere any time soon.

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: November 13, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »
Go for it pal...Id like to hear more...

I'd be here all night, besides I'd much rather talk about some of the awesome tv that's out atm. Like Boardwalk empire/homeland loving both of those at the moment.

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: November 13, 2011, 08:56:53 pm »
Lamp, you're being extremely, and I do mean extremely, pedantic with your nitpicking. You can basically do the exact same thing for almost every single piece of TV or film there ever was and ever will be. Why does it even bother you if she went for a piss outside or inside or not? I can say the same for almost exactly every other thing. I've thought about the Otis thing about him going out and hunting with a gun too, but when you think about it, he's off somewhere in some secluded forest far away from the ranch. Just because it was stated in episode 1 from Morgan that firing a gun attracted loads of them doesn't mean that everyone else had the same experience and followed by some kind of "don't-do-this" kind of zombie code book. There is no formula here in this world. It's just survival in a fictional world where the dead have come back to life to feed and have overrun the living. If you want complete and total realistic logic with no holes, then don't watch a fictional TV show. Watch a documentary instead, although I doubt you'll find one about flesh eating dead zombies anywhere any time soon.

Jesus Ive hit a nerve with you tonight,havent I?

I along with a few others are just pointing out the shows faults..

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the show up till recently but its gone so bad now that unfortunately criticism is inevitably going to happen...

And thanks for your advice telling me to watch a documentary but I have my time filled up with other shows that are actually decent

Cheers

☆☆☆☆☆