Author Topic: UEFA Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg: Atlético Madrid 1 - 0 Liverpool (April 22nd 2010)  (Read 105288 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
And for all those calling it a tin pot trophy and how we've fallen from so high up, remind yourselves who the man was that has helped us to do so well in Europe in recent years that you now consider this a step down

Indeed. I remember how delighted and privallidged we were to go to three finals in 2001. Brum and Arsenal followed by the Westfalstadian - was amazing. After that 5-4 v Alaves - me and my mate were like puddles on the floor at the end and looking up and seeing Jockey banging on that window was amazing. Was an unforgettable year and an unforgettable day.

IF we get to Hamburg, it'll be amazing.

ANY CUP is worth winning. It's what our club is supposed to exist for. Fuck Fourth. Me want silver. Yaaaarr!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
4 semi-finals in European Competition in the last 6 years.

I fucking hate our negative football.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
ANY CUP is worth winning. It's what our club is supposed to exist for. Fuck Fourth. Me want silver. Yaaaarr!

In the words of our esteemed manager:

"You dont get a medal for 4th place"
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Would Arsenal have cared in 2000?

Not sure. Were there 4 places for the Champions League then? I'm not sniffing at what we're in here... far from it. I'm just looking at the other angle for the point of argument. I'm pretty sure that I won't be stripping off stark bollock naked and swan diving in the pouring rain on the grass after a 30 yard run if we win the trophy tho like I did in '01. I'll be fucking over the moon tho.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend

Feckin Benfica and Chelsea!
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
23 pages..... we must not have won tonight!!

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
I've got 7 cans of Stella in the fridge.. Actually.. 3.. 4 are in my study and 1 is being quaffed now :)

Good lad, I hope to hear by the morning that you have no stella left at all, i've just opened my 6th can, but work at 7 so better make this my last, but it's friday 2moro or is it now. Anyway more ale after work. Maybe that health kick thingy can wait a while. Up The Reds. YNWA

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Not sure. Were there 4 places for the Champions League then? I'm not sniffing at what we're in here... far from it. I'm just looking at the other angle for the point of argument. I'm pretty sure that I won't be stripping off stark bollock naked and swan diving in the pouring rain on the grass after a 30 yard run if we win the trophy tho like I did in '01. I'll be fucking over the moon tho.

There were only 3 but Arsenal got to the UEFA Cup final after failing to get past the first group stage of the CL, I doubt theyd have minded.

Likewise I remember being gutted when Celtic knocked us out.

YNWA Rafa.

royhendo

Conman, half the posts are 'meh', as if it was a pre-season friendly we played tonight. It's unbelievable.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.

In record time eh? :)
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We'll forgive you if you say it's a great Cup to win and you'll be made up if we do!
My hole couldn't get any deeper right now, probably best I log off. Of course I would be made up, I just believe in earning the right to be ranked alongside some of the greatest teams in European history. Do you hand on heart think that our season in Europe has been that great that we would be worthy champions. That is a foot deeper so I am off before I enter anymore enemy lists!

Offline jotenko

• Main Stander
  • I WANT THE EUROPEAN BENFICA BACK!
Feckin Benfica and Chelsea!

Touché.  ::)

This arguing about Rafa reminds me our discussions here about Cardozo and his chances trown away in front of the net.
Member of the world's biggest club - SPORT LISBOA E BENFICA - n.ş 187975

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
I'd take that result going into next week. Typical European away performance by us in this match. Didn't expect anything else.

They're a weaker side than Benfica, however we're weaker without Torres. I can't see them playing two up front next week, but we'll see.

It'll be interesting, but I'm confident we can get to Hamburg.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan

If we'd won, say 4-0, this thread would've got 8 pages max.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool

aye - it's all yours now.

Don't forget to turn the lights off when the plebs have fucked off.

Good luck

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/

You should fuck off and support West Brom then ;D

Offline Franky

• Do you remember me? Clueless kneejerk who should not be confused with the decent poster on here called Frank. Alienated from the sheep and won't lick John Henry's arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I can mate. But if this season leads to Rafa going to Juve and our entire club imploding then I don't think I can take it.

Especially if it leads to Mourinho or O'Neill or someone as odious taking over.

For all the years to choose to be constantly shite and still have a gob on him - this isn't the best.

Again.. can you see where I'm coming from?

Liverpool Expects Mr. Gerrard.
Oh yeah... Mourinho would be wrong...  ::) and it would certainly be Gerrard's fault... it would also be his fault that we didn't buy another striker last summer and that we replaced Alonso with Aquilani and Rafa may look to go to Juve.
It makes absolut sense. ::)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:34:03 am by Franky »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Is it hell.

The real world is much different. For every FS and Shanklyboy on here theres quite a few auld fellas who cant stand the way the team is now on the pitch, for every Andy Allerton theres ST holders, many since the seventies that are sick of this crap.

I dont mind what people think, what i hate is this high and mighty attitude that goes with the loyalty. yeah be loyal to the manager, thats your opinion and your view but dont be condescending to everyone who doesnt share your view.

And there's many season ticket holders like me that can see something that clearly you can't.

I had this conversation with one of my mates who's been going since the 70s - week in, week out. And he said a lot of the players weren't good enough for Liverpool FC.

In a way he's right and in a way he isn't. In a perfect world and in a world where Liverpool FC is the force it once was - then perhaps he's 100% correct. But. We aren't. We're nowhere near. There are many reasons for this - that have been gone through 1,000,001 times.

The main difference (Which he accepts) between us - is that he still has the image and the belief that LFC SHOULD BE NOW Where it always was. And I see the reality that we're not. We buy the players we buy because we're constrained to buy those players. We bid for those that fit within our club - because we can't afford the very best.

Now you may say that's shite and I agree with you. We SHOULD be able to get better and play better and be back to where we were. But it's not an easy step. It's not going to happen tomorrow (If ever).

You can either choose to live in the past and be mostly upset all the time, or accept that things have moved on, we've been left behind and try and take joy and pleasure where you find it.

I'm happy for people to have differing opinions - I mean who the fuck made me a representative of RAWK anyway? No one. It's a forum - people debate. Some whine. Some are overboard and positive (I try to be positive whenever I can, I'll admit - but what's the problem with that?)

Maybe one day we'll all be happy because we will be back to where we once were and should be again.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Touché.  ::)

This arguing about Rafa reminds me our discussions here about Cardozo and his chances trown away in front of the net.

Eh? I was cursing Benfica and Chelsea for being the teams who prevented it being 6 semis in 6 years.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
Let's see what happens next Thursday. I've a feeling you could well be right!
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Good lad, I hope to hear by the morning that you have no stella left at all, i've just opened my 6th can, but work at 7 so better make this my last, but it's friday 2moro or is it now. Anyway more ale after work. Maybe that health kick thingy can wait a while. Up The Reds. YNWA

I've got today off - thought tonight was going to be a mental bender out in town - but everyone's sulking/not going out/at home cos they couldn't travel. So stayed in :(

It'll be quaffed alright ;)

Offline jotenko

• Main Stander
  • I WANT THE EUROPEAN BENFICA BACK!
Eh? I was cursing Benfica and Chelsea for being the teams who prevented it being 6 semis in 6 years.

I thought you were talking about Benfica have lost a lot of semi-finals through the history!! LOL
Member of the world's biggest club - SPORT LISBOA E BENFICA - n.ş 187975

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
There's a time when negative / defensive tactics are called for. When playing the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd etc (who can both afford more expensive / arguably better players than us). But against lesser teams it holds us back and in the league has been a reason why we've dropped points when we shouldn't have.

Tonight I sympathise with Rafa for begining the match cautiously, for starting with Lucas and Masch in CM but once you realise the opposition are not quite the threat you might have initially thought they were then why not up the ante and substitute one of those pair for a more flair player like Aqua for instance?
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
My hole couldn't get any deeper right now, probably best I log off. Of course I would be made up, I just believe in earning the right to be ranked alongside some of the greatest teams in European history. Do you hand on heart think that our season in Europe has been that great that we would be worthy champions. That is a foot deeper so I am off before I enter anymore enemy lists!

To be fair, although your post was (Seemed?) a bit shite.

If you're saying that the only teams that should be in the 'Champions' League are the winners of their countries and teams shouldn't be parachuted into the UEFA Cup if they get knocked out of the 'Champions' League, then I'll agree with you.

But thems the rules - and all we can do is play to the rules.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
And there's many season ticket holders like me that can see something that clearly you can't.

I had this conversation with one of my mates who's been going since the 70s - week in, week out. And he said a lot of the players weren't good enough for Liverpool FC.

In a way he's right and in a way he isn't. In a perfect world and in a world where Liverpool FC is the force it once was - then perhaps he's 100% correct. But. We aren't. We're nowhere near. There are many reasons for this - that have been gone through 1,000,001 times.

The main difference (Which he accepts) between us - is that he still has the image and the belief that LFC SHOULD BE NOW Where it always was. And I see the reality that we're not. We buy the players we buy because we're constrained to buy those players. We bid for those that fit within our club - because we can't afford the very best.

Now you may say that's shite and I agree with you. We SHOULD be able to get better and play better and be back to where we were. But it's not an easy step. It's not going to happen tomorrow (If ever).

You can either choose to live in the past and be mostly upset all the time, or accept that things have moved on, we've been left behind and try and take joy and pleasure where you find it.

I'm happy for people to have differing opinions - I mean who the fuck made me a representative of RAWK anyway? No one. It's a forum - people debate. Some whine. Some are overboard and positive (I try to be positive whenever I can, I'll admit - but what's the problem with that?)

Maybe one day we'll all be happy because we will be back to where we once were and should be again.

Is there any way that you can hack into Walshy's profile and put that in as his signature?

Mods? C'mon - you can sort this, no?

Joking aside - spot on Andy.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
There's a time when negative / defensive tactics are called for. When playing the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd etc (who can both afford more expensive / arguably better players than us). But against lesser teams it holds us back and in the league has been a reason why we've dropped points when we shouldn't have.

Tonight I sympathise with Rafa for begining the match cautiously, for starting with Lucas and Masch in CM but once you realise the opposition are not quite the threat you might have initially thought they were then why not up the ante and substitute one of those pair for a more flair player like Aqua for instance?

They had a few dangerous moments and if they'd had a bit more luck (And we hadn't had Reina) then they could be 3-0 up now and game over.

hoonin

But thems the rules - and all we can do is play to the rules.

Or have them changed for us when needed.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Conman, half the posts are 'meh', as if it was a pre-season friendly we played tonight. It's unbelievable.

In record time eh? :)

aye - it's all yours now.

Don't forget to turn the lights off when the plebs have fucked off.

Good luck

Its just stupid really that people would prefer to moan, than to celebrate. Whatever happened to freelove?

I was stuck in work, so didnt get to watch the game, not to mention it was mental busy. Thanks to Sarge et all who provided the ingame commentary, was my lifeline to have a quick peak every 10/15mins. Cheers to you lads. From what i read we were unlucky to not have had a goal count, and we didnt play great, so maybe a 1-0 is not far from what we deserved. Anyway, like i said, only read snippets. Hope to get to watch the game tomorrow, as its off to bedskys now.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
Is it hell.

The real world is much different. For every FS and Shanklyboy on here theres quite a few auld fellas who cant stand the way the team is now on the pitch, for every Andy Allerton theres ST holders, many since the seventies that are sick of this crap.

I dont mind what people think, what i hate is this high and mighty attitude that goes with the loyalty. yeah be loyal to the manager, thats your opinion and your view but dont be condescending to everyone who doesnt share your view.

.......and for everything else there's you.

Am I a season ticket holder?
Am I happy with what I see on the pitch?
Am I living in the real world?

Condescending?...nahhhh not you mate.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Or have them changed for us when needed.

:D

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
AM are a good side. Put aside their inconsistent season (fair comparison to ours) and you have a side rich in talent who simply can't defend or win match's consistently.

I'd rather take a 0-1 loss than be 0-3 down by trying to have a go at them...
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop

Well im genuinely happy for you mate and i mean that sincerely.

But the day i accept mediocre is the way forward, will be the day that i may as well be done with football.

And thats got nothing to do with being spoilt with success, i've been lucky enough to see league titles and some of the greats were the shirt, but after a few good seasons, we are are prepared to just accept that this is the way it is? We might as well not turn up next season if thats the attitude, and unfortunately its an attitude thats dogged not just fans but the manager and players alike.

Its not like we are talking 10 years of constant mediocrity here is it?

The owners will hopefully bugger off and this will all be a footnote in history hopefully. But i cant accept that our manager - and some of our best players have given up, thats what hurts the most. In any normal circumstances tonight would be a good result, but take in consideration the opposition and the season we've had and its bollocks. yeah we may go through next round, hopefully they'll be poor enough that we can grab the victory, but too many times, especially this year we rely on the opposition or others to propell ourselves forward, and although our squad is thin, its much better than its showing and the manager is much better than he's showing.

Again my beef is with those that have come to accept this as the norm and then pee all over those who are unhappy with the result, not the whoppers who tell Rafa to eff himself or insult the man, im talking supporters with genuine concern, its actually more disheartening to me to read peoples acceptance of where we are. me i find that hard to stomach. It may not be my cup of tea all the time but Rafa had us going in a positive direction, a direction that seems like another life now.

I hope this summer answers a lot of questions and we can move on.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Urgh, are we really back to the "tin pot trophy" bollocks?

You'd think we were pick up leagues and European Cups every season the way some turn up their nose at silverware. It's been 4 years since a Liverpool captain held a cup above their head in celebration. I don't care if it's the European Cup, The Autoglass Shield or the RAWK Golden Whopper award (no chance of winning that with the competition though) I want to see Gerrard lifting up a piece of silverware at the end of the season. It wont disguise every failure of the previous year, but it'll be a piece of silverware more than all bar 1 or 2 teams in the country will go home with. There aren't many prizes about - why turn up your nose at one like a gang of spoilt c*nts?
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

royhendo

The thing is, ordinarily I wouldn't mind the whingeing, but we're at half time in a European semi final, so, you know - it's all to play for. Casting the mind back 30 years - were people as whiny about the standard of football in European ties? I have a hazy memory that says they didn't, but I wasn't old enough to hit he boozer and my old boy would watch a tin of paint dry if it said Atletico Madrid v Liverpool on the side, so maybe my recollection's fucked up.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Well im genuinely happy for you mate and i mean that sincerely.

But the day i accept mediocre is the way forward, will be the day that i may as well be done with football.

And thats got nothing to do with being spoilt with success, i've been lucky enough to see league titles and some of the greats were the shirt, but after a few good seasons, we are are prepared to just accept that this is the way it is? We might as well not turn up next season if thats the attitude, and unfortunately its an attitude thats dogged not just fans but the manager and players alike.

Its not like we are talking 10 years of constant mediocrity here is it?

The owners will hopefully bugger off and this will all be a footnote in history hopefully. But i cant accept that our manager - and some of our best players have given up, thats what hurts the most. In any normal circumstances tonight would be a good result, but take in consideration the opposition and the season we've had and its bollocks. yeah we may go through next round, hopefully they'll be poor enough that we can grab the victory, but too many times, especially this year we rely on the opposition or others to propell ourselves forward, and although our squad is thin, its much better than its showing and the manager is much better than he's showing.

Again my beef is with those that have come to accept this as the norm and then pee all over those who are unhappy with the result, not the whoppers who tell Rafa to eff himself or insult the man, im talking supporters with genuine concern, its actually more disheartening to me to read peoples acceptance of where we are. me i find that hard to stomach. It may not be my cup of tea all the time but Rafa had us going in a positive direction, a direction that seems like another life now.

I hope this summer answers a lot of questions and we can move on.

If you don't mind me asking - which years do you refer to?

I always thought you were younger than I thought?

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
.......and for everything else there's you.

Am I a season ticket holder?
Am I happy with what I see on the pitch?
Am I living in the real world?

Condescending?...nahhhh not you mate.

Well i tell you what mate, either its the way it comes across on the net or its just you, because as good as your written posts can be and as good as some of your points can be, you certainly come across as someone whose quite happy at the way things are ticking along.

Or maybe thats just the way you like to over egg the pud with the defence of Rafa i dont know.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead

well said Andy.

Id just like to add that its our expectations, patience and emmense support that has us in a better position on average than most of the other teams in the league, the finance or lack there of shackles us from competing year in year out for the league, but if we were like any other club we should really be a mid table team with our funds. But we are not, so lets not lose sight of that.. The plebs can probably agree that our patience in supporting a worthy manager has kept us in the upper echelons for so long, we could be a newcastle, a Norwich, Blackburn, Birmingham or any other mediocre side with plebs booting their managers out every season or 2. But we as fans try to be better than that.

So support your team, and give us 40 F*ckin pages of support when we win, not 40 pages of whinging.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was watching the debates, but did tune in for 20 minutes and we were dismal and negative as usual. Oh, and Lucas was mediocre as usual. As long as Rafa is in charge I am resigned to the fact we will usually be dull as dishwater to watch. Sad.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:44:53 am by vishy01234 »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
If you don't mind me asking - which years do you refer to?

I always thought you were younger than I thought?

went to my first game at 6...which is, 81 i think. My greats where Dalglish, Souness, Rush, late Alan Kennedy etc. Not quite the seventies lark like.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
I was watching the debates, but did tune in for 20 minutes and we were dismal and negative as usual. Oh, and Lucas was mediocre as usual. As long as Rafa is in charge I am resigned to the fact we will usually be dull as dishwater to watch. Sad.

Like we were when we outscored everyone else in the league last season?

Or everyone else in all comps the season before?

YNWA Rafa.