Author Topic: Spartacus: Blood and Sand  (Read 37379 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand
« Reply #240 on: April 6, 2012, 04:38:41 pm »
If they go based on the history (Not sure how legit, it is wiki after all.) they could easily push two more seasons out.

I think there is too much to stuff all in to one season, especially as there would have to be three major battles.

Start off the next season with Spartacus and Crixus splitting paths, all the Roman debate on who to take down Spartacus and the first two battles taking place (Crixus losing and Spartacus winning.). Think that is more than enough to base a season off of.

Then they can lead into the season after that by showing the Romans tightening the leash on Spartacus up until his eventual death in war.
Yeah, definitely two, possibly three if ratings remain decent. I sort of want them to keep going beyond that with other major events in roman history. I'd love a six parter about Boudica, for example.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #241 on: April 6, 2012, 06:34:07 pm »
in the second one, add / before the word spoiler.

Cheers, It was really starting to bug me that.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if

Spoiler
Crixus dies at the start of the new season as I believe that's what happened.
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: April 6, 2012, 07:25:47 pm »
Spoiler
Not the beginning, but maybe it can build up to that battle and have it toward the end and then he dies, followed up by the Spartacus group winning
[close]

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 6, 2012, 10:51:50 pm »
Spoiler
Would be more suited to see someone like Agron die prior to Crixus, just because he isn't as integral of a character and they could draw a plot out/side story with his slave-boy lover.
[close]

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #244 on: April 7, 2012, 11:41:55 am »
Fingers crossed you are right with the 2 more series option. Hopefully it would then allow them to bring a bit more of the politics back into it. They could include the senate in Rome and the intrigue - albeit I guess it depends on how much they have to spend on the production and sets etc. Then again it I guess it will also depend on the ratings which has put pay to many a good show while shite gets season after season.
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #245 on: April 7, 2012, 01:07:28 pm »
wonder what path they'll take as all the roman sides protagnists are all dead, so news actors needed
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 7, 2012, 02:27:13 pm »
I think Lithia will be back.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2012, 11:55:06 pm »
I think Lithia will be back.

I fucking hope so!

Anyway the reason I bumped this is: Spartacus Season 3 officially begins shooting today! Spartacus, Gannicus and the rest of the rebels are back to work. Like this post if you are excited about the next season coming in 2013!

From the official Facebook page.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2012, 01:51:55 pm »
Nearly finished watching the first season again. What's missing from the latest season is definitely the plotting and backstabbing. It's there, but not nearly at the level of the first season.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: June 5, 2012, 11:52:44 am »
The next series, ten episodes, will be the last series.

Thought they would do one after that one to be honest so rather surprised.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: January 5, 2013, 09:54:43 pm »
Right Spartacus: War of the Damned is starting on the 25th Jan. Here is the official trailer for it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ptX_pjz5s2k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ptX_pjz5s2k</a>

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: January 6, 2013, 01:22:14 pm »
Yay I'm really looking forward to this. Shame it's the last season.

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: January 7, 2013, 01:36:32 am »
Looking forward to this!
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #253 on: January 7, 2013, 09:49:17 pm »
loved the first season (after putting on the "gore" blinkers - tacky).

I just couldnt get into the next season, just not the same with the old spartacus, and may he rest in peace too. Class act.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »
Just a reminder to download/watch the first episode.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2013, 10:52:05 pm »
Just a reminder to download/watch the first episode.

I liked it. LOTS of blood. Some lovely ladies  :lickin Also Spartacus seems very determined to accomplish his goal.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2013, 11:38:11 am »
I liked it. LOTS of blood. Some lovely ladies  :lickin Also Spartacus seems very determined to accomplish his goal.

Spoiler
I agree, He looks pissed! I can't believe his army, There was only about 30 of them the last episode and now there's thousands. Good start to the season mind, I read there was a young Cesar in this episode but wasn't sure which kid it was
[close]

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2013, 08:06:58 pm »
Spoiler
I agree, He looks pissed! I can't believe his army, There was only about 30 of them the last episode and now there's thousands. Good start to the season mind, I read there was a young Cesar in this episode but wasn't sure which kid it was
[close]

Spoiler
Well, he called his son Tiberius for some reason - neither of his sons bore that name in real life - don't know whether they're gonna rewrite history with that shit, I doubt it
[close]
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: February 3, 2013, 12:52:42 am »
Episode 2 is now out. I liked this episode but I feel the story moves very quickly. I mean I thought

Spoiler
they took over the city fairly quickly and with relative ease.
Also I like how they show that even though Spartacus kills all the 'bad' Romans, there are many innocent Romans that get killed in the process.
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #259 on: February 3, 2013, 01:43:32 pm »
Episode 2 is now out. I liked this episode but I feel the story moves very quickly. I mean I thought

Spoiler
they took over the city fairly quickly and with relative ease.
Also I like how they show that even though Spartacus kills all the 'bad' Romans, there are many innocent Romans that get killed in the process.
[close]

Spoiler
If they used another episode on the city conquering some would say they drag it a bit already. Plus the show made clear that if they managed to get that gate open, that would be it.
[close]
As for the other point you make, yeah it's a good one. No sugarcoating.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2013, 12:17:45 pm »

Anyone still watching this? I'm quite enjoying this season. Think there's only about 2 or 3 episodes left of the final season. Expecting Spartacus to die in the end which will be sad but can't see another way of them ending it.

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »
I missed the first episode, and have been recording since Episode 2, but can't find episode one which I want to watch before I watch the rest!!
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline FanaticalRed

• Kopite
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2013, 12:51:15 pm »
Really enjoying this and I will be quite sad to see it finish forever. It's nothing amazing but it's very entertaining and some of the women are incredible!

I dunno what it is about the redhead but she is probably my favourite of them all.  :P

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2013, 02:20:16 pm »
Still watching this a little out of duty now, as I think i just want to see it through to a finale.  For me, it's never returned to the heights of the first season.  Maybe it was just new and different then, but I preferrred the story lines and characters more.  Loved the gladiatorial combat scenes. John Hannah was especially suited to hamming it up as Batiatus, oh, and the original Spartacus was better (poor fella).

It's always been fairly ridiculous, but as its got bigger it just gets even more stupid, I find myself having the urge to fast forward bits just to get the episodes done.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2013, 09:00:36 pm »
It's not the same without Batiatus, Lucretia and Ilithyia.  Never been a fan of the new Navia either.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2013, 11:31:38 pm »
Is the young Roman lad meant to look like Justin Bieber so we hate him?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2013, 03:50:00 am »
What a fantastic episode "Separate Paths" was. One of the best in a while imo.

Spoiler
That ending scene with Crixus dying was brilliant. I think it was obvious he was going to die from the way the episode was building up to that battle. Them constant chats with Spartacus and him reaffirming his love for Naveia.
[close]

It will be interesting to see how the last two episodes will play out, whether it will follow history or change it.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2013, 11:24:49 am »
What a fantastic episode "Separate Paths" was. One of the best in a while imo.

Spoiler
That ending scene with Crixus dying was brilliant. I think it was obvious he was going to die from the way the episode was building up to that battle. Them constant chats with Spartacus and him reaffirming his love for Naveia.
[close]

It will be interesting to see how the last two episodes will play out, whether it will follow history or change it.

Spoiler
Fantastic episode, I agree you could tell Crixus was done for but he went out just as he wanted in battle killing loads of Romans. Came a bit earlier than I thought it would have though I thought he would have died in the 9th or even the finale. I struggle to see how they can't kill Spartacus too. Oh and Cesar!! I was speechless as that scene.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:27:56 am by Henry Gale »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:44 pm »
Jupiter's fucking cock! What an episode and what a finale.

Spoiler
Agree with you. The writing was on the wall for Crixus but didn't expect both him and Agron to be back stabbed by the little c*nt. Up there with Joffrey.
Oh and the Julius Caesar scene... :o
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2013, 09:32:51 am »

Just found out it's not on this week, Gutted! back on the 5th April and then the series finale on the 12th.

Oh and the finale is called Victory, Strange title considering Spartacus is expected to get killed, Or maybe it's finally a victory for the Romans.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2013, 01:56:13 pm »
Just found out it's not on this week, Gutted! back on the 5th April and then the series finale on the 12th.

Oh and the finale is called Victory, Strange title considering Spartacus is expected to get killed, Or maybe it's finally a victory for the Romans.

Spartacus's body was never found was it? Who knows
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2013, 07:56:44 pm »
Watched the first episode last night, not bad. A bit 300 meets Game of Thrones, with much lower production values. Worth carrying on though, I suspect.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:33 pm »
The scene with Caesar and the other bloke in the tent was one of those WTF moments that had me laughing, and in stitches when it showed the following scene at the battle with him not on the horse. The entire episode was comical like that. I find it funny that at every single big battle, it's all slow motion with what seems like the same 10 people fighting, even though it's supposed to be epic battles, then when they win after about 20 seconds, they all have a bit of a loud cheer to celebrate. :)

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2013, 12:46:37 pm »
Although Spartacus' body was technically never found i fail to see how they can end the series without him dying. Maybe if they had developed a relationship further with a woman you could maybe see them giving him a nice ending but as it stands i think he will die.

Although maybe they'll do a Dark Knight Rises ending...maybe Naevia escapes and years later finds herself around a camp fire, looks across and sees Spartacus. They don't greet each other...just an acknowledgment...Dum Dumm Du Du Dumm :)

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: April 5, 2013, 07:07:49 am »
Although Spartacus' body was technically never found i fail to see how they can end the series without him dying. Maybe if they had developed a relationship further with a woman you could maybe see them giving him a nice ending but as it stands i think he will die.

Although maybe they'll do a Dark Knight Rises ending...maybe Naevia escapes and years later finds herself around a camp fire, looks across and sees Spartacus. They don't greet each other...just an acknowledgment...Dum Dumm Du Du Dumm :)

I think they can easily do it without him dying, all he has to do is make it to a port going to, ideally, his homeland. And when some years later, someone notices him and remarks, 'You look familar, to the rebel slave Spartacus' he can truthfully say, like in the first episode, 'That is not my name'
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: April 5, 2013, 12:30:24 pm »
I think they can easily do it without him dying, all he has to do is make it to a port going to, ideally, his homeland. And when some years later, someone notices him and remarks, 'You look familar, to the rebel slave Spartacus' he can truthfully say, like in the first episode, 'That is not my name'

That's not a bad idea mate, i just think that having all his generals die with him escaping may leave a bad taste in the mouth for some. Crixus, Anomaeus (spelling?), Agron ( we don't know what will happen with Gannicus although i suspect he will die to save his new lady) have all died after joining Spartacus' cause and believing in his goal. Would it not be a bit cheap to have all of them die and Spartacus lives?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: April 5, 2013, 01:18:52 pm »
Smashed through Blood and Sand and onto Gods of the Arena now. Really enjoyable and not as heavy as other shows out there. The violence is predictably ott and that suits its purpose. Some of the dialogue can be awful, but it's still a very good show. I was surprised by the standard of some of the acting. In particular I thought Manu Bennett as Crixus was excellent in Blood and Sand. The part with Navia (sp?) post-lashing was immaculate acting. Very sad to hear that Andy Whitfield died, RIP Spartacus, YNWA. Having come to the series very late, it was quite a shock. I just put Arena on as I thought it was S2. When I looked into why they'd produced a sequel, it came as a huge surprise. A good actor clearly in prime shape.
Big fan of Doctore number 2, Animaeus (forgive the misspelling of every character's name). Couldn't believe he's in his fifties, tremendous physique. I'm 21 and in nowhere near that sort of shape.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: April 5, 2013, 05:56:47 pm »
That's not a bad idea mate, i just think that having all his generals die with him escaping may leave a bad taste in the mouth for some. Crixus, Anomaeus (spelling?), Agron ( we don't know what will happen with Gannicus although i suspect he will die to save his new lady) have all died after joining Spartacus' cause and believing in his goal. Would it not be a bit cheap to have all of them die and Spartacus lives?

Spoiler
Depends how you look at it. He said in the last episode to Crixus that 'we are different men' to when they first rebelled. It would seem his purpose now is to truly free those with him in that they can live out a life of non-slavery somewhere in the world. His generals have free choice and have chosen their paths, he's responsible for a vast number he probably never expected and simply sacrificing them against the iron fist of Rome to satiate his initial thirst for revenge would seem somewhat shallow to the man and responsibility he's grown into.

And regarding the thought that 'all his generals die with him escaping', it could be viewed (rightly in the way it's being played out) that it's not him escaping per se, it's him facillitating the escape of thousands of slaves to true freedom.

I'm not up on the actual history of Spartacus but in the brilliant Kirk Douglas film weren't they trying to achieve a similar goal but were 'cut off' and forced into taking on Crassus? I've seen it a million times but can't quite remember but I'm sure I recall them being let down with ships etc so had to turn away from the sea and face the Roman Army.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 5, 2013, 06:03:48 pm by Armand9 »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: April 6, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »
Can't believe the end of Spartacus is next week. I am going to miss this show.

Spoiler
I enjoyed the latest episode. Especially the 'games' where they killed the Romans. As much as they hated the shackles and being whipped (like Gannicus says) I think they did enjoy victory in the arena when they were slaves.
[close]

The 1st season will always be my favourite but I think it's fair to say that the series as a whole was thoroughly enjoyable.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2013, 04:35:47 pm »
Bombed through half of Vengeance so far and feel it was a little flat compared to S1 and the Prequel. I still enjoyed it, but can't help feeling it was derailed by the (necessary) recasting of Spartacus and Naevia. I know it takes time to get use to new faces portraying familiar characters, but the new guy is a hell of a lot blander and black and white than Andy Whitfield's portrayal. Hopefully Vengeance will pick up soon, I may end up changing my mind.