21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 467955 times)

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #5800 on: July 3, 2023, 04:43:55 pm »
You do have to wonder about the saga at RTE as they get wrung through the rack by politicians crying blue murder requiring more transparency and oversight. These same politicians were claiming expenses for decades without any need for receipts to be handed in. The pot calling the kettle black 🙈
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5801 on: July 3, 2023, 07:45:13 pm »
100% and overseeing inexplicable levels of overspending on certain public services/projects.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 07:52:13 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5802 on: July 6, 2023, 01:39:40 am »
Director General suspended. The Board are clearly fuming that they've been made to look like pricks.

RTE is holed below the waterline here. There's no way that they can collect tv license money if there's no oversight on how it's spent.

The DG has since resigned, RTE execs are facing hearings in the Irish parliament, wouldn't be surprised if theirs more resignations from senior execs.

No way only the DG & CFO are the only the senior RTE execs that knew about the hidden payments either.

Turns out RTE had secret barter accounts too, one purchase was a pair of flip flops for €55,000. :o
#Sausages

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5803 on: July 6, 2023, 01:50:48 am »
The DG has since resigned, RTE execs are facing hearings in the Irish parliament, wouldn't be surprised if theirs more resignations from senior execs.

No way only the DG & CFO are the only the senior RTE execs that knew about the hidden payments either.

Turns out RTE had secret barter accounts too, one purchase was a pair of flip flops for €55,000. :o

It was €5,000 and it was for 20 pairs and they're actually called thongs/jandals.  ;)

There's so much wrong with how this public service institution is run. I'm pretty sure systemic in the highest levels of the Irish Public service.

What gets me about this whole fiasco is the fact that Ryan Tubridy knows what he's actually getting paid compared to what had been published but did nothing to flag it. All while wearing the banner of being one of the most 'trusted' voices in Ireland.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2023, 01:53:23 am by BarryCrocker »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5804 on: July 6, 2023, 02:03:37 am »
It was €5,000 and it was for 20 pairs and they're actually called thongs/jandals.  ;)

There's so much wrong with how this public service institution is run. I'm pretty sure systemic in the highest levels of the Irish Public service.

What gets me about this whole fiasco is the fact that Ryan Tubridy knows what he's actually getting paid compared to what had been published but did nothing to flag it. All while wearing the banner of being one of the most 'trusted' voices in Ireland.

I see.

Can guarantee Ryan Tubridy's career at RTE is over.

What will cost RTE just as much, maybe more, are those secret barter accounts, seems like a drip, drip feeding on information of what's been going on at RTE every day.
#Sausages

Online NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #5805 on: July 6, 2023, 09:01:18 am »

Worse than that is the fact he gave a number of interviews over the course of a few years and in each one he went on about how he was taking pay cuts  and how he felt it right he was doing so, when all the time he was doing nothing of the sort.

Now he is seemingly falling into a Bertie Ahern-eaque excuse of how he should have checked to see what his earning actually were but it is really RTE's fault and not his.

So like we were supposed to believe Bertie had no bank accounts, now we are to believe that Turbridy never checked his earnings from 2017 to 2023.

Must be a FF thing.
What's your pleasure?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5806 on: July 28, 2023, 10:58:25 am »
Heard on the radio yesterday a TD suggesting we need more TDs to be elected due to the population growth as the Constitution states there should be 1 representative for every 20k . I'm sure in some States in the US they have a representative for every 500k. That might be too much but the idea we need more politicians stealing a living is a fine example of a TD living in dream world. Just need to do something to earn their wages.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5807 on: July 28, 2023, 08:08:56 pm »
We have the same number of Guards as we had 20 years ago. How about increasing their numbers first!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5808 on: July 28, 2023, 09:59:17 pm »
Turbridy is the southern version of lardy-arsed cockwomble, Eamonn Holmes, a fucking money grabbing shithehawk.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5809 on: July 28, 2023, 11:22:14 pm »
We have the same number of Guards as we had 20 years ago. How about increasing their numbers first!

Because they'd only end up arresting dodgy TDs.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #5810 on: August 9, 2023, 08:43:46 am »
Well this probably wasn't too clever

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66447388

In response to a freedom of information (FoI) request, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) shared names of all police and civilian personnel, where they were based and their roles.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5811 on: August 9, 2023, 09:18:32 pm »
Of all the places for this to happen!

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5812 on: August 9, 2023, 10:40:52 pm »
Well this probably wasn't too clever

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66447388

In response to a freedom of information (FoI) request, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) shared names of all police and civilian personnel, where they were based and their roles.

If they ever wanted another reason to roll-back the release of sensitive government info this would be it.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5813 on: August 10, 2023, 08:41:30 am »
Thank fuck they didn't release addresses but in this day and age, if they have any sort of digital footprint, they're could be in danger. Absolute clusterfuck.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5814 on: October 10, 2023, 06:58:17 pm »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5815 on: October 11, 2023, 07:44:41 am »
Can I just say at this point, I’ve always been in favour of a United ireland 😂😂😂

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #5816 on: October 12, 2023, 04:30:27 pm »
Finally, a medal table that Ireland tops....

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1712478554519474530

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5817 on: October 13, 2023, 09:22:46 pm »

Anyone have access to the full story in the Economist?

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5818 on: October 14, 2023, 08:54:42 am »
Benefits of windfall taxes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67058310

There isn't actually a windfall tax though. This is the benefit of being a tax haven (relative to the rest of the western world), and then international (not Irish) tax policy reform (the OECD pillars) increasing the amount collected from Companies who established themselves there previously and shifted IP to Ireland to avail themselves of the low tax rates.

I don't know what to take away from this, because this story doesn't affirm the merits of windfall taxes. I don't think it proves the opposite either, though. Maybe it affirms the merits of a bait and switch tactic, or maybe it is a simply unique case.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 02:39:44 pm by CowboyKangaroo »
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5819 on: October 14, 2023, 10:12:22 am »
Careful now
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5820 on: October 14, 2023, 10:38:17 am »

Can't believe Ireland has gotten a silver or a gold for decarbonising. We're miles behind where we need to be.
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5821 on: November 23, 2023, 07:52:20 pm »
Absolutely appalling incident today in Dublin, hope they are all okay.

The fucking vermin on the streets now are the worst of society. Some shocking videos doing the rounds.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5822 on: November 23, 2023, 08:00:40 pm »
Absolutely appalling incident today in Dublin, hope they are all okay.

The fucking vermin on the streets now are the worst of society. Some shocking videos doing the rounds.

Thoughts with those injured.

Twitter suggests the Irish have as many racist c*nts as the UK does. So many using this to propagate anti-immigration feelings.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5823 on: November 23, 2023, 08:07:31 pm »
Predictably descended into looting immediately. So many fucking idle twats im this country, doing nothing with their lives, blaming it on immigrants.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5824 on: November 23, 2023, 08:15:29 pm »
Predictably descended into looting immediately. So many fucking idle twats im this country, doing nothing with their lives, blaming it on immigrants.
isn't that just it. Probably worried their years of sponging and handouts will be impacted.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5825 on: November 23, 2023, 08:28:21 pm »
Scumbags acting like scumbags. Same with any riots in most cities, they don't care about the trigger incident, they just want to set buses and cars on fire, steal some fancy runners and attack some cops while they have a chance.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5826 on: November 23, 2023, 08:30:57 pm »
I’m a bloody immigrant. Came here 8 years ago. We’re both employed, bought an apartment, I offer my time as s volunteer, support charities and local trade and artists. This development is shocking. I never saw this coming to Ireland. Government better gear up some good riot police and start cracking heads. These types understsnd nothing else.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5827 on: November 23, 2023, 08:41:43 pm »
I’m a bloody immigrant. Came here 8 years ago. We’re both employed, bought an apartment, I offer my time as s volunteer, support charities and local trade and artists. This development is shocking. I never saw this coming to Ireland. Government better gear up some good riot police and start cracking heads. These types understsnd nothing else.

I'm fucking ashamed.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5828 on: November 23, 2023, 08:47:54 pm »

Same people protesting in the streets against 'non nationals' committing crimes have no problems getting their drugs off 'non nationals' also committing crimes.

Back in Feb they we protesting in the streets about a 'non national' suspect in a rape case. When it revealed the suspect was 'white' where were the protests against a crime committed against the woman?

Obviously the media has a lot to play in this by stating the nationality of any suspect in these sort of crimes. There's no need to call out where someone is from unless it's the main motivation for them committing a crime.

* 'Non national' is a term I abhor but it's a common term used back in Ireland.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5829 on: November 23, 2023, 09:17:00 pm »
Stabbing a woman and child on the street, Absolute scumbag  :no
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #5830 on: November 23, 2023, 09:23:55 pm »
Dublin doesn't have an 'immigrant problem'; like any city, it has a problem with idiots. I work in Dublin, it's as vibrant and multi-cultured as London/Liverpool/Manchester etc. These fucking clowns attacking the guards are not representative of the Irish people, although I'm not Irish, on returning to the rural South East, where you'd expect them to agree with the Dublin Mob, they don't. They were disgusted. The Irish are World Fucking Champions at being immigrants, but some scum bag c*nts in Dublin don't represent them - far from it. Wankers spoiling for a fight. Absolute shower of stupid fucking c*nts.

Offline CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #5831 on: November 23, 2023, 09:24:46 pm »
From European Politics Thread.

I'm a fucking here immigrant BTW! 

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5832 on: November 23, 2023, 09:45:36 pm »
incredibly depressing how normalised this has become now. i hope they all recover, just awful

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #5833 on: November 23, 2023, 10:06:56 pm »
Same people protesting in the streets against 'non nationals' committing crimes have no problems getting their drugs off 'non nationals' also committing crimes.

Back in Feb they we protesting in the streets about a 'non national' suspect in a rape case. When it revealed the suspect was 'white' where were the protests against a crime committed against the woman?

Obviously the media has a lot to play in this by stating the nationality of any suspect in these sort of crimes. There's no need to call out where someone is from unless it's the main motivation for them committing a crime.

* 'Non national' is a term I abhor but it's a common term used back in Ireland.

Non National isn't a common term at all anymore.  It's actually a bugbear of far right numpties who see it as a sign that the media covers up foreigners committing crimes.

Currently the nationality of the guy who committed the horrendous crime isn't mentioned in any respectable media but its being speculated on online. There's also speculation that a foreigner helped apprehend him ironically, but who knows at this point.

The scumbags destroying Dublin tonight are the precise reason everyone I know hates visiting the city centre.

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5834 on: November 23, 2023, 10:25:30 pm »

If that is found to be correct then yes.  It is early days but sounds like the police have a grasp on the situation and it is likely that the suspect will be held to account.

Disappointing to see another load of scumbags taking to the streets simply because it gives them an opportunity to express their scumbag behaviour.

Thoughts should be with the injured and those directly affected.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5835 on: November 23, 2023, 10:45:03 pm »
Conor McGregor really stirring up with the Irish Nationalists remarks on twitter - "Ireland is at War" "You reap what you sow" "non-nationals in Dublin"

Fucking coked up scumbag

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5836 on: November 23, 2023, 10:48:55 pm »
Not going to pretend to know enough for an informed opinion on the whole situation - but apparently lots of louts going round chanting Ireland is full.

Not sure there’s a country around that’s less true of?

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #5837 on: November 23, 2023, 10:50:36 pm »
Conor McGregor really stirring up with the Irish Nationalists remarks on twitter - "Ireland is at War" "You reap what you sow" "non-nationals in Dublin"

Fucking coked up scumbag

That prick is happy to keep company with murderous drug dealers who wreak havoc on their communities and now he's declaring war on foreigners.  Probably just because he had his arse handed to him by a Muslim a couple of times.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5838 on: November 24, 2023, 12:44:23 am »

Fucking coked up scumbag
The first thing you think when you hear the name Conor McGregor is women's safety all right.

He's the absolute fucking worst. Always has been, always will be.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5839 on: November 24, 2023, 12:51:17 am »
I absolutely hate hearing or reading McGregors name.

Today though we have seen what happens when they let the right do as they please for so long. They have been emboldened. Then you have the majority following for opportunistic reasons in wrecking the place and rioting. This will gain them more followers.

As per varadkar the far right and far left are the same though. Well done you stupid c*nt.