Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1027917 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread
« Reply #12640 on: August 18, 2021, 06:07:44 pm »
Jim, my friend, my heart goes out to you mate. God knows what you're going through.

Sincere condolences x.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12641 on: August 18, 2021, 07:13:34 pm »
Very sad news, sorry Jim. I hope whoever found him is OK as well  :-\

Just spent a while reading back the last 10 pages of the thread, what a horrible impact this stuff has on people.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12642 on: August 18, 2021, 07:19:54 pm »
Very sorry to read that Jim. Hope you and your siblings are doing ok. Thoughts are with you all.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #12643 on: August 18, 2021, 08:22:31 pm »
Well, it took him 7 and a half years after the last attempt (which broke the banisters) but this time he succeeded.

This morning, my father hanged himself after drinking three bottles of vodka and cutting his arms open.

He is out of his pain and his suffering.

As the eldest of his 3 offspring, it falls upon me to make arrangements.

The demon drink.

Carl, then Sean, then me da.

Don't know what else to say other than I've been there for some of youse over the years here - now it's my turn....

:'(

Wish you and your family all the strength mate.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #12644 on: August 18, 2021, 09:02:20 pm »
So sorry to hear that for you, awful news. Look after yourself and don’t be shy asking for help.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12645 on: August 18, 2021, 09:57:11 pm »
Well, it took him 7 and a half years after the last attempt (which broke the banisters) but this time he succeeded.

This morning, my father hanged himself after drinking three bottles of vodka and cutting his arms open.

The demon drink.

Don't know what else to say other than I've been there for some of youse over the years here - now it's my turn....

Dear lord
I have no words, wish you and yours all the best

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12646 on: August 18, 2021, 10:34:34 pm »
Sorry for your loss. We're all here for you. Things will get better.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12647 on: August 18, 2021, 10:37:07 pm »
Deepest condolences to you and yours, Jim.

Take care

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12648 on: August 19, 2021, 01:25:44 am »

The demon drink.

Oh no, this is horrible.  :'(

I'm so sorry to hear this tragic news.

There really are no words, mate.

You have many friends here. If/when you need support, I'm sure people will be more than willing.

Sincere condolences to you and all who knew and loved your father.

I rarely come into this thread, hence my slowness in responding.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12649 on: August 19, 2021, 01:29:42 am »
So sorry to hear that Jim, please take care of yourself and yours.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #12650 on: August 19, 2021, 01:47:25 am »

An awful thing to go through mate. Condolences.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12651 on: August 19, 2021, 05:45:20 am »
Fucking hell Jim.    So so sorry   Crying my eyes out as brings back so many memories   If you want to chat PM me

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12652 on: August 19, 2021, 09:58:50 am »
Terribly sorry for your loss Jim.

As someone who came close to the edge myself, I know the inner turmoil he must have been feeling

Alas, as you say, he is out of his pain and suffering now

If you need anything, or if I can be of help in any way, then feel free to drop us a PM

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're all here if you need to talk

Mind yourself!
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #12653 on: August 19, 2021, 10:40:59 am »
So sorry to hear this awful news Jim.  I can't even imagine how horrendous this must all be for you and your family.

My deepest condolences and please take care of yourself in the days and weeks to come.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline flashman

• Lacking Cum Stilettos
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12654 on: August 19, 2021, 03:46:48 pm »
Sorry to hear about that. Take care.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #12655 on: August 19, 2021, 03:47:45 pm »
So sorry to hear this news.  Deepest condolences to you and your family.

Take care, YNWA

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12656 on: August 19, 2021, 04:31:14 pm »
Fucking Hell Jim. I'm so sorry for your loss mate.

My heartfelt condolences to you and yours.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12657 on: August 19, 2021, 11:27:20 pm »
RIP. So sorry for your loss. YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #12658 on: August 20, 2021, 07:16:51 am »
Thanks all. The last two days have been fuckin horrible. I keep imagining him in that state.

Those of you who know me well enough know I'm an empath - so I even feel what he felt. Two nights ago I couldn't sleep, I was consumed by a darkness so deep I couldn't see anything even with eyes wide open. When I got the call in the morning, that all made sense.

It comes in waves - I'm oscillating between rage, despair and cold detachment, none of which are emotionally healthy.

I'm so angry that he didn't even say goodbye - he just did it - almost spitefully, kinda, "Fuck youse all - I'm gonna do THIS.................*slice, slice, swing*.............."

But then the rational part of me says it wasn't like that. He was so deep in despair and hopelessness that he didn't have space to consider anyone else in that moment. I get that. But it still......fuckin......hurts........

51 years I tried to get close to my dad, 51 years I tried to establish an authentic and deep connection. It's so disappointing and upsetting that he was never up to the task - my father - the man who's meant to be a role model - failed at that. And yes, I judge him for it. Cos as I type this I'm angry. And confused.

I've had messages from people who knew him, saying how much of a difference he made to their lives, the former alcoholics he's helped, the homeless charity whose website he built, the amateur pensioner rockers he formed various bands with......and they all speak glowingly of a compassionate, empathetic, smart, intelligent, witty and loving man.

WHERE'S THAT FOR ME?!

So. Yeah. That hurts.

I'm about to board a plane (the rigmarole behind that is for another thread!!!) to come back to the UK for the first time in three years. I never thought it would be for this reason.

Thank you all for the messages - as some of you have predicted, my emotions are all over the place.

My partner has been amazing - she dropped everything two days ago to stay with me - to hold me when rage and grief kicked in, to support me when I couldn't lift a finger to do anything, to help keep my emotions in check when trying to navigate the mind-blowing fuckwittery behind the bureaucracy of travel in these times. I don't know what I'd do without her - yet she can't travel with me - so I feel very, very alone.......thankfully my longest-standing friends are at the other end of the flight - and at least in the UK you can hug again..........right? You can, can't you?? Have pretty much all the restrictions been lifted now....? What version is it today? I'll check the covid thread......anyway, Evelyn, you rock my world.....  :-*

Now I have a funeral to plan :(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:21:07 am by 24∗7 »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12659 on: August 20, 2021, 08:58:38 am »
Hug them all Jim 💞

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12660 on: August 20, 2021, 09:24:43 am »
The mixture of emotions is fully understandable Jim. Although I never knew him or met him, your Dad's passing has been playing on my mind quite a bit over the past 24 hours. It's strange in a way, isn't it? That a strangers passing would sadden me to that degree? I guess Alcoholism is weirdly unique in the sense that it ties those of us who suffer from it together. I suppose when you're acutely aware of the internal turmoil being felt by another human being then you can't help but feel a sense of connection to them. It's similar to soldiers who endure the trauma of war together. They don't need to know each other personally to know the score with each other

I know exactly what your father was feeling Jim. I might not be able to articulate it in words, but I know it and I know it all to painfully well. For that reason, I just wanted to offer the following to you:

As you go through the process of grieving your father, and as feelings of resentment and annoyance bubble up inside you, try as best you can to remember, that he was being tortured by a disease that he had no control over. Just like Carl, it may well be that he (through no fault of his own) just couldn't find a way out . I know that may sound tragic and is unlikely to console you in your hour of grief, but as far as the negative feelings inside you go, try not to let them consume you. Forgive the man, for his battle was one he stood little chance of winning

I'd like to think that even though this thread doesn't attract too many active participants, it still nevertheless attracts a lot of readers who can use what they read/learn in here to help others. It's for that reason I take a lot of consolation in knowing that Carls death was not in vain. Same with your father Jim. As tragic as his passing was, take consolation in the fact that his life and his struggles weren't for nothing. It all counted. It all meant something to someone somewhere. You may never know the people or ever get to meet them, but I assure you, a life that may have otherwise been lost will end up being spared because of this thread, this event, and this conversation. That's a fucking powerful thought. I know so Jim, because I was as good as dead until I came into this thread and was given hope by you sir

And so in memory of your father Jim, I'd like to say to anyone reading this thread, that should you have a friend or family member who suffers from this disease, and should they cause feelings of anger, bitterness and resentment within you, try as best you can to remember the following. (I assure you from personal experience that this is 100% true)

The very first step of AA reads "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable". Note if you will that it does not say "We admitted we drank too much", or "We admitted we struggled to control our drinking" or "We admitted we couldn't stick to our promises". The word "powerless" is used for a specific reason. The reason its used is because this disease is progressive. If left untreated, the alcoholic will eventually reach a point where he/she cannot stop even if they want to.

Those of you who followed this thread during Carl's latter years will recall that he continued to drink even when his doctors told him he was dying. The prospect of imminent death did absolutely nothing to deter him from putting alcohol in his body. Zero. Nada. Zilch. His condition had progressed to a point of complete and utter powerlessness. A truly horrific way to exit this world. In Jim's fathers case, it appears that the powerlessness became too much for his poor soul to bear. To anyone reading this thread, who up until now, was not aware why the term "powerless" is used in AA literature, I hope Carl's and Jim's father's passings have helped you gain a better understanding of  the true nature of this disease

God bless his soul Jim. I've no doubt his passing will stand to save someone, just like your kind words to me upon my first entry to this thread saved me!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:28:06 am by Billy The Kid »
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12661 on: August 20, 2021, 09:43:38 am »
Lovely words Billy

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12662 on: August 20, 2021, 11:03:46 am »
Billy mate I don't know what to say to that other than wow and thank you and yes, forgiveness....I have a pic about that somewhere which I shared with him last week.

Can't find it now - but here's the last one I sent him. Didn't work :(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:11:47 am by 24∗7 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12663 on: August 20, 2021, 11:18:29 am »
Regarding forgiveness - this is the reality to which I know I need to hold on.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12664 on: August 20, 2021, 11:35:10 am »
Jim I've only just caught up with the thread and I am really sorry to hear about your loss mate.

RIP to your dad. Look after yourself mate.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12665 on: August 20, 2021, 03:41:28 pm »
Superb post Billy mate. Very thoughtful buddy.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12666 on: August 20, 2021, 03:47:37 pm »
Regarding forgiveness - this is the reality to which I know I need to hold on.

Jim, Red Berry posted this many years ago and I always thought it was an excellent line

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12667 on: August 20, 2021, 04:14:30 pm »
Spot on that…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #12668 on: August 20, 2021, 04:59:54 pm »

The demon drink.

Oh Jim, I'm so sorry for your loss this is awful. I am sending you my strength, hang in there. I've never had to suffer something like this, all I can say is I'm thinking about you.  :'(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12669 on: August 25, 2021, 04:20:19 pm »
Thanks again all.

Worst week of my life, by far.

But I've just finished going through all the paperwork and admin........and I've arranged an event for Monday next.

I know none of you knew my dad (I barely did!!!!!!) but I've chosen a charity in Milton Keynes that supports young people struggling with depression and anxiety and other mental health conditions.

If anyone's feeling generous, stick a couple of quid in here and tell 'em you're from Red And White Kop?

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/philip-bale

Saying that I know none of you knew him, I realise that that might not be factually correct.......

My father's teaching career started in the early 70s in Halewood Grange as it was then known. He taught Spanish and French there until 1986 and became Head of Modern Languages at Stantonbury Campus in Milton Keynes, which has strong connections to the chosen charity.

It's very apt, I feel.

So now I have to go through all the possessions in the house........and walk up and down those stairs too many times......

I saw him the other day, by the way, in the mortuary. That was important. Difficult, very, very hard - but necessary.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12670 on: August 25, 2021, 05:01:45 pm »
Well done on being the good son and doing the things you are supposed to do even though it is extremely hard and making it the best you can make it.

I really can't imagine how hard that must be. Your post makes you sound a bit lonely. I hope your siblings and wider family/friends are supporting you as best they can also.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12671 on: August 25, 2021, 05:18:33 pm »
A very worthy charity Jim.

Take care of yourself mate and don't be afraid to ask for help or to offload if needed, your mental well-being is important too.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12672 on: August 25, 2021, 05:33:45 pm »
Amazing choice of charity. Chucked a few quid in, would be nice that something good came out of this awful situation.

Keep strong Jim. We’re all thinking of you.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12673 on: August 25, 2021, 06:41:59 pm »
Well done on being the good son and doing the things you are supposed to do even though it is extremely hard and making it the best you can make it.

I really can't imagine how hard that must be. Your post makes you sound a bit lonely. I hope your siblings and wider family/friends are supporting you as best they can also.
They're not here. By the time I leave (Tuesday), I'll have been here two weeks and they'll still not have stepped on to a plane....

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12674 on: August 25, 2021, 06:43:36 pm »
A very worthy charity Jim.

Take care of yourself mate and don't be afraid to ask for help or to offload if needed, your mental well-being is important too.
Amazing choice of charity. Chucked a few quid in, would be nice that something good came out of this awful situation.

Keep strong Jim. We’re all thinking of you.
You're awesome both of you thanks......very humbling that people I've never met will support a charity to remember a man they've never met. I fuckin love RAWK.......

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12675 on: August 25, 2021, 06:49:45 pm »
You're awesome both of you thanks......very humbling that people I've never met will support a charity to remember a man they've never met. I fuckin love RAWK.......

We're family mate we help each other ❤️

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12676 on: August 25, 2021, 06:53:37 pm »
We're family mate we help each other ❤️

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12677 on: August 25, 2021, 06:59:19 pm »

😂😂😂 Apart from the accent I'd make a very good Peggy!

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12678 on: August 25, 2021, 07:09:40 pm »

Well you’ve got the hairstyle right yer bugger ;D
W

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12679 on: August 30, 2021, 09:53:08 am »
Thanks again all.

Worst week of my life, by far.

But I've just finished going through all the paperwork and admin........and I've arranged an event for Monday next.

I know none of you knew my dad (I barely did!!!!!!) but I've chosen a charity in Milton Keynes that supports young people struggling with depression and anxiety and other mental health conditions.

If anyone's feeling generous, stick a couple of quid in here and tell 'em you're from Red And White Kop?

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/philip-bale

Saying that I know none of you knew him, I realise that that might not be factually correct.......

My father's teaching career started in the early 70s in Halewood Grange as it was then known. He taught Spanish and French there until 1986 and became Head of Modern Languages at Stantonbury Campus in Milton Keynes, which has strong connections to the chosen charity.

It's very apt, I feel.

So now I have to go through all the possessions in the house........and walk up and down those stairs too many times......

I saw him the other day, by the way, in the mortuary. That was important. Difficult, very, very hard - but necessary.

Thinking of you today Jim 💔