Author Topic: Aquilani passes medical and signs 5 yr deal - official  (Read 88534 times)

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
Re: Aquilani passes medical and signs 5 yr deal - official
« Reply #280 on: August 8, 2009, 01:11:00 am »
For me Torres was never a risk as he was always going to retain his value in Spain regardless.

This is totally different, there is no questioning Rafa has seen something and that he has ability but the facts say something else in terms of fitness. 73 games for Roma in the last 3 years and no game played for 7 months by the time he is ready is a huge risk.

Personally I don't care about the next 5 years, I just want us to win our 19th this season, and having a gaping hole in your midfield is not the best way to start the first 8 weeks of the season.

Its all well and good us saying its ok the Club spending money with little regard but the odds aren't in our favour. If someone offered you even money putting your home on Torres getting 20 goals you might think about it. If someone offered the same bet on Aquilani playing 25 times this season you would run a mile.

I really hope I am wrong but the match facts over the last 3 years say otherwise and he will need a full pre season training having been out since March.
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline aristeia

• Main Stander
  • ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
« Reply #281 on: August 8, 2009, 01:11:12 am »
Aristeia I would also like to have that game, it would be very appreciated, will it be in audio/video thread if u find it?

Definitely.  I think I may just have the 1st leg, but I'll keep looking.  I should probably label crap better.  :/

Offline Misholino108

• Anny Roader
« Reply #282 on: August 8, 2009, 01:12:10 am »
The more I think about this, the more it seems like yet another masterstroke from the genius mind that is Rafa:

Back in May, Xabi makes it plain that he wants to leave. After thinking that Alonso will get £20 million at a push because he couldn't get £16 million for him last year, Rafa's Hawking like brain quickly performs a million calculations, processes 1000's of scouting reports and watches 100's of hours of Macedonian Red's youtube files.

"Aquilani is the man for me" says Rafa, so he phones up Roma. "I'll happily pay the £17 million, but what? He's just had an op and he'll be out for weeks? Fuck! Oh hang on a minute, that'll give me time  to fuck Perez and Valdano about and I might make a few bob as well.

"Benitez, £22 million is our final offer. No sorry, make that £24 million. Hello ...  hello?" Perez rings back "OK £25 million is our final offer. Did I say £26, I meant £28 million." and all Perez can hear is Rafa whistling the tune from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Rafa then sits in his chair at Melwood stroking his white Persian cat for a couple of weeks and thinks "£28 million! Fuck me! Now if I can just get Alonso to hand in a request, I'll make an extra £3 million!"

Alonso goes home to Spainto sulk for a couple of days and eventually phones Rafa up. "OK Benitez you win! I'll give you your fucking transfer request. Damn you Rafa! Damn you to hell!" Rafa responds "OK then, tell Perez to call me tomorrow."

In the meantime, Rafa phones Roma "Is Aquilani ready to step up his rehab physio? Good, send him over. Nice doing business with you!"

Next day, Perez phones up. "So we have a deal at £28 million?"
"Do we fuck!" says Rafa. "I said £30 milion."
"You thieving fucking bastardo!" screams Valdano on the conference call. Rafa hangs up.

Brrrnng Brrnnng.

""OK £30 million it is." says a dejected Perez.
"And don't forget the add ons, fuck face!" laughs Benitez into the phone. "And you will forever rue the day you crossed swords with Don Rafael Benitez."

Rafa turns in his chair to face a picture of Rick Parry, raises a glass of Cava, smiles and says
"To you Rick. A Man who couldn't sell Alonso for £15 million. Well I managed to get a player who is a better version of the Barry style more attacking midfielder I wanted last year, who fits into my style of play better, for only £17 million, sell Alonso for twice what you couldn't get for him last year, save an extra £3 million on the loyalty bonus AND make Perez and Valdano look like a bigger pair of tits than Jordan. How do you like them fucking apples Rick?"

That made me laugh like hell ;D

Top post
YNWA

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #283 on: August 8, 2009, 01:22:08 am »
Should we really read anything about him passing his medical?

These are the people who gave Philipe Degen the all clear after all...

Gonna nail my colors to the mast here. I think this is the biggest gamble Rafa as ever taken. He's replacing one of our untouchable first 11 starters by a man of undoubted talent but also fragile health.

He's doing it in the full knowledge that man may miss the first 2 months of the season and will in all likelyhood (no pre season) not be fully match fit and used to the English game until Christmas.

He's placing an awfull lot of trust in Aquilani and Lucas' talents. I hope to God he turns out to be right, as he's often been, because if not the knives will be out and rightly so.

Nothing to worry about. A Roman will thrive in this kind of atmosphere. è un punto di forza dei Romani.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #284 on: August 8, 2009, 01:28:43 am »
Welcome Alberto. Not seen a lot of him but from what i have seen i've always felt that the quality is undoubtedly there, seems like a decent, genuine bloke too so he'll fit right in at Anfield, can't wait to see him play for us, be interesting to contrast his style with that of Xabi, whilst i feel we may miss Alonso's calming influence in the middle of the park i've no doubt Alberto will offer more penetration going forward than Xabi, he's quicker too which can only be a good thing.

Might also help the Doss too, having someone he can communicate freely with.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 01:30:18 am by gritsvanilla »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #285 on: August 8, 2009, 01:33:39 am »
If he turns out to be shit am gonna fuckin gob someone.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #286 on: August 8, 2009, 01:34:54 am »
If he turns out to be shit am gonna fuckin gob someone.
Hope its someone hard,and they batter ya

No doubt you'll end up crying like Rodrigo from BB and run off like a tart,looking for shelter.sucking ya thumb like the baby you are
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 01:36:41 am by Captain Tsubasa »

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #287 on: August 8, 2009, 01:35:42 am »

I don't know if he'll be a hit, but I'll make a guess and say that he will.

If Dossena stays they and their ladies can become friends and cook pasta and listen to opera or Italian soft-rock together, it will be great, dead cosy.

In all seriousness, he looks like something of a mosquito in that midfield, zig-zag and busy, with the ability to drop malaria infections on other teams.

I also reckon Rafa, the crafty old fox, has overestimated his recovery time, so we can all be delighted and relieved when he comes back quick. He knows how to play us that man.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #288 on: August 8, 2009, 01:39:04 am »
For me Torres was never a risk as he was always going to retain his value in Spain regardless.

I'm sure Benitez's replacement would have taken some comfort from that.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #289 on: August 8, 2009, 01:39:47 am »
Hope its someone hard,and they batter ya

No doubt you'll end up crying like Rodrigo from BB and run off like a tart,looking for shelter.sucking ya thumb like the baby you are
If he's any good I'll gob you then...so there!...with knobs on  :P  ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: August 8, 2009, 01:42:52 am »
Should we really read anything about him passing his medical?

These are the people who gave Philipe Degen the all clear after all...

Gonna nail my colors to the mast here. I think this is the biggest gamble Rafa as ever taken. He's replacing one of our untouchable first 11 starters by a man of undoubted talent but also fragile health.

He's doing it in the full knowledge that man may miss the first 2 months of the season and will in all likelyhood (no pre season) not be fully match fit and used to the English game until Christmas.

He's placing an awfull lot of trust in Aquilani and Lucas' talents. I hope to God he turns out to be right, as he's often been, because if not the knives will be out and rightly so.

FFS Degen has had one bad season. Besides it was never going to be as stringent.

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: August 8, 2009, 01:43:21 am »
Is it true that he is out for the next two months for his surgery to heal?

Offline jim.

• Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #292 on: August 8, 2009, 01:45:54 am »

No. He's making his debut today, only last ten mins mind. Just had a text to confirm this...

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #293 on: August 8, 2009, 01:46:06 am »
If he's any good I'll gob you then...so there!...with knobs on  :P  ;D
;D

:wave

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 8, 2009, 01:53:10 am »
No. He's making his debut today, only last ten mins mind. Just had a text to confirm this...

I hope you're not pulling my leg. If this is true I am calling a 30 yard injury time screamer to start off his Liverpool career

Offline Carraghercules

• Main Stander
« Reply #295 on: August 8, 2009, 01:53:18 am »
I also reckon Rafa, the crafty old fox, has overestimated his recovery time, so we can all be delighted and relieved when he comes back quick. He knows how to play us that man.

Was thinking the same thing. I'll bet it's between 3 - 4 weeks
KOP RULE OK

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: August 8, 2009, 01:54:49 am »

4 to 8 weeks. ofcourse press will make it as 2 months for certain.

Online Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #297 on: August 8, 2009, 01:55:50 am »
its up on the site.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165347090807-1933.htm

BREATHE PEOPLE AND GET DRUNK!!
This should dispel the injury thing - you don't sign players for this sort of fee unless you've done your homework. Good on yer 'Berto.

Hope you and David Silva settle in as quickly as each other :-) :-) (just in case some of you start saying we've not signed Silva, etc... That was a hopeful and tongue in cheek remark...!)
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline nobluff

• In The Khazi
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Nobluff
« Reply #298 on: August 8, 2009, 01:57:06 am »
Its going to be fantastic to have someone in midfield that can use either foot and still leave you wondering which one he prefers!  :)
Don't mod if you're gonna become bitter and twisted.

I'm being "watched" because people are out to get me!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: August 8, 2009, 01:59:04 am »

This is totally different, there is no questioning Rafa has seen something and that he has ability but the facts say something else in terms of fitness. 73 games for Roma in the last 3 years and no game played for 7 months by the time he is ready is a huge risk.

Personally I don't care about the next 5 years, I just want us to win our 19th this season, and having a gaping hole in your midfield is not the best way to start the first 8 weeks of the season.

Its all well and good us saying its ok the Club spending money with little regard but the odds aren't in our favour. If someone offered you even money putting your home on Torres getting 20 goals you might think about it. If someone offered the same bet on Aquilani playing 25 times this season you would run a mile.

I really hope I am wrong but the match facts over the last 3 years say otherwise and he will need a full pre season training having been out since March.
You think we have a "Gaping hole" in our midfield!!!???!!!!

Jeez... Come on lad. Get a grip.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: August 8, 2009, 02:01:45 am »

That made me laugh like hell ;D

Top post
Fucking brilliant...

Offline FernandoTorrestieri

• Kopite
« Reply #301 on: August 8, 2009, 02:11:38 am »
The more I think about this, the more it seems like yet another masterstroke from the genius mind that is Rafa:

Back in May, Xabi makes it plain that he wants to leave. After thinking that Alonso will get £20 million at a push because he couldn't get £16 million for him last year, Rafa's Hawking like brain quickly performs a million calculations, processes 1000's of scouting reports and watches 100's of hours of Macedonian Red's youtube files.

"Aquilani is the man for me" says Rafa, so he phones up Roma. "I'll happily pay the £17 million, but what? He's just had an op and he'll be out for weeks? Fuck! Oh hang on a minute, that'll give me time  to fuck Perez and Valdano about and I might make a few bob as well.

"Benitez, £22 million is our final offer. No sorry, make that £24 million. Hello ...  hello?" Perez rings back "OK £25 million is our final offer. Did I say £26, I meant £28 million." and all Perez can hear is Rafa whistling the tune from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Rafa then sits in his chair at Melwood stroking his white Persian cat for a couple of weeks and thinks "£28 million! Fuck me! Now if I can just get Alonso to hand in a request, I'll make an extra £3 million!"

Alonso goes home to Spainto sulk for a couple of days and eventually phones Rafa up. "OK Benitez you win! I'll give you your fucking transfer request. Damn you Rafa! Damn you to hell!" Rafa responds "OK then, tell Perez to call me tomorrow."

In the meantime, Rafa phones Roma "Is Aquilani ready to step up his rehab physio? Good, send him over. Nice doing business with you!"

Next day, Perez phones up. "So we have a deal at £28 million?"
"Do we fuck!" says Rafa. "I said £30 milion."
"You thieving fucking bastardo!" screams Valdano on the conference call. Rafa hangs up.

Brrrnng Brrnnng.

""OK £30 million it is." says a dejected Perez.
"And don't forget the add ons, fuck face!" laughs Benitez into the phone. "And you will forever rue the day you crossed swords with Don Rafael Benitez."

Rafa turns in his chair to face a picture of Rick Parry, raises a glass of Cava, smiles and says
"To you Rick. A Man who couldn't sell Alonso for £15 million. Well I managed to get a player who is a better version of the Barry style more attacking midfielder I wanted last year, who fits into my style of play better, for only £17 million, sell Alonso for twice what you couldn't get for him last year, save an extra £3 million on the loyalty bonus AND make Perez and Valdano look like a bigger pair of tits than Jordan. How do you like them fucking apples Rick?"

Amusing but not funny

until it reached the persian cat. I died.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #302 on: August 8, 2009, 02:12:47 am »
Fucking brilliant...

He is one of the more entertaining posters on this site.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #303 on: August 8, 2009, 02:23:44 am »
well said Macca.

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #304 on: August 8, 2009, 02:29:40 am »

No, no he wouldn't.  Were he to fail here Atleti would be his club of choice to return to, and they certainly couldn't afford to pay enough to make it anything but a failure.  Saying Torres was never a risk is easy, in hindsight, but he was very much a gamble especially considering his scoring record and how he looked while playing for Atleti.  Still, Rafa saw something, something which a majority of people didn't see, and that is the potential to to well in our team.  He's seen the same thing here, and I'm more then inclined to side with him, over your simple-minded scepticism.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 02:32:27 am by lfc_bhoy »
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #305 on: August 8, 2009, 02:39:22 am »
Gave out a huge sigh of relief after this was done fairly quickly. Good luck lad, and welcome to Liverpool.

Just make sure your wife doesn't want to go back to Italy...

Offline mayday

• Kopite
  • Keep the faith
« Reply #306 on: August 8, 2009, 02:52:12 am »
brilliant, just heard the news. onwards and upwards.
In Brendan We Trust

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #307 on: August 8, 2009, 02:53:02 am »
Any squad number news?

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #308 on: August 8, 2009, 03:14:34 am »

In all seriousness, he looks like something of a mosquito in that midfield, zig-zag and busy, with the ability to drop malaria infections on other teams.

Made me lol that ;P

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: August 8, 2009, 03:21:56 am »
Any squad number news?

They are just numbers. More important is who wears them.

Offline NeverWalkAlone96

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #310 on: August 8, 2009, 04:32:43 am »
Made up with this news , i can now sleep a little better tonight

Offline Emlynevermore

• Twinkletoes
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bounce!
« Reply #311 on: August 8, 2009, 04:38:16 am »
I had a fair bit to drink, am also

Made up with this news , i can now sleep a little better tonight

:wave

Forza Viola!
Sitting in my car near anfield I've just had an amazing idea. Why not get behind the team?

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #312 on: August 8, 2009, 05:46:40 am »
No, no he wouldn't.  Were he to fail here Atleti would be his club of choice to return to, and they certainly couldn't afford to pay enough to make it anything but a failure.  Saying Torres was never a risk is easy, in hindsight, but he was very much a gamble especially considering his scoring record and how he looked while playing for Atleti.  Still, Rafa saw something, something which a majority of people didn't see, and that is the potential to to well in our team.  He's seen the same thing here, and I'm more then inclined to side with him, over your simple-minded scepticism.

07-08 was make or break. The prospects of Rafa getting the can were ever present (Hicks & Gillette anyone?). And that was with the season Torres was actually having. It's only because he was a success from day one that it's possible to forget how big a gamble it was. Agree with you entirely on that.

As I posted earlier in response to TonyH, it's fine to say Torres' resale value wouldn't have been effected by a failure to cut it, but I'd say the really significant and likely upshot of that would have been Benitez losing his job.

Context is important. As opposed to two years ago, Rafa is now seen by the puppet masters as the fulcrum of football operations at LFC. Parry's history and Rafa now calls the shots on decisions large and small. Crucially, he's seen as key to providing the stability and continuity H & G require for the management of outside perception of the club and the knock-on this has in terms of business in general and re-financing (11 months and counting) in particular.

And, footballing-wise, I'd argue that Aquilani is joining to contribute to an existing excellence rather than - as Torres was - arriving to inaugurate it.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 05:48:24 am by phoenician »

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #313 on: August 8, 2009, 06:04:00 am »
Can't wait to see him in action!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #314 on: August 8, 2009, 06:07:15 am »
Can't wait to see him in action!

Oh yes, neither can WE.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #315 on: August 8, 2009, 06:09:12 am »
How did he pass a medical then? I thought his leg had fallen off?
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #316 on: August 8, 2009, 06:18:54 am »
How did he pass a medical then? I thought his leg had fallen off?

His medical was at Liverpool after all.

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #317 on: August 8, 2009, 06:20:04 am »
I wonder if he requested that the medical was performed by the same guy that did Kewell and Degens?
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #318 on: August 8, 2009, 06:51:10 am »
Can't wait for this guy to get fit and terrorise English midfields.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: August 8, 2009, 07:31:36 am »
"And don't forget the add ons, fuck face!"

That's fucking hilarious!  :D