Author Topic: Aquilani passes medical and signs 5 yr deal - official  (Read 88531 times)

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
Re: Aquilani passes medical and signs 5 yr deal - official
« Reply #400 on: August 8, 2009, 12:19:44 pm »
As much as I agree, there's one thing I was hoping to see from Lucas this summer which I haven't... As much as he's improved most of his game, his vision is still not quite there... I appreciate that he never had or will have the passing range of Alonso, but the big difference between them and which slightly frustrates me with Lucas is that he almost always looks to pass sideways or backwards even when the flow of the game is desperately calling for someone to push forward... Alonso, through his dictated play, used to balance that quite well... He'd slow the tempo and pass back or sideways when needed, and at times would try risky passes forward which at times resulted in our most dangerous opportunities...

In summary, I'd like to see Lucas take some risks with his passing at times, rather than be too worried.. Through balls by nature will fail more than half of the times (either defenders will intercept or forwards will be called for offside) but when it does go through effectively, it will almost certainly create the best chances

HOW can people see the future like this, can you teach me to?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: August 8, 2009, 12:26:28 pm »
Been injured since March and won't be fit until 4-8 weeks! Did Roma see us coming?
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: August 8, 2009, 12:29:18 pm »

Trust your manager.. before football slides down the YouTube

By Brian Reade

Last modified 09:12 08/08/09

THE usually-dismissive radio jock was genuinely impressed by the caller's in-depth knowledge of Alberto Aquilani.

He spoke of his box-to-box qualities, turn of speed and cleverness. He eulogised about his ability to ghost into dangerous positions and his peach of a right foot which had a wicked dig on it, as evidenced by classic strikes against Palermo and Siena.

"Wow, that's impressive. Are you a dedicated student of Italian football?" asked the jock.

"No," came the answer. "But I've seen his clips compilation on YouTube. And I'm telling you he's a definite improvement on Xabi Alonso."

And so, my friends, we move effortlessly into a new era of talent appraisal. YouTube Scout takes over from the PlayStation Scout and Fantasy Football League Scout. Soon to be superseded by Twitter Scout. As in "I've been Twittering with my contacts in Osasuna and I'm hearing that Gonzalez lad is a steal at 20mill."

Bedroom coaches all, who, thanks to hours spent glaring at stats and videos on their computers, can give you comprehensive run-downs on every pro from Torquay to Tirana. Only they're about as comprehensive as Eton College.

If I trained a camera for long enough on my 80-year-old dad kicking about in his back yard, I could set three minutes of it to a Clash soundtrack, and make him look like Lionel Messi.

So who do you turn to for the truth in this uncertain world of talent-spotting? Statistics? Not really. Take Alonso. Do you trust the glowing stats which say Liverpool won 67% of the Premier League games he played in these past two years, but only 46% when he was out? Or go with the damning ones which show in his last three seasons he made only six assists and scored ten goals?

What about Ex-Player Scout? Do you take Jan Molby's assessment that Alonso will be a massive loss because virtually every pass he selected was the right one? Or do you qualify that by saying most of his passes, like his shots, came from his own half?

Fan Scout? Well, for every one who claims Alonso dictated Liverpool's tempo throughout last season, there's one who will say it was an inability to quicken the tempo in those seven home draws (the majority of which Alonso played in) which cost them the title.

Surely Media Pundit Scout would know? Not really. I can list half-a-dozen who, up until the end of last season, wrote Liverpool off as a two-man team of Gerrard and Torres. Once a desperate Real Madrid paid twice as much for a near-28-year-old as they could have got him for last summer, Alonso is hailed as the team's lynch-pin, without whom they're screwed.

So don't worry YouTube Scouts, you're not alone in your ignorance. The truth is no-one has a clue how much a departing player will be missed until they see how his replacement fits in. And the chances of the new boy's success have little to do with how sexy he looks on camera, but plenty to do with him moving at the right stage of his development, fitting the role his new boss has in mind, his hunger, mental strength, fitness and luck.

Your club's manager may not know best, but the chances are he knows better than you, or any other outsider. So trust his call. Because the only other option is to demand he's sacked.

And there aren't many YouTube compilations of manager's best bits out there, apart from Graham Taylor howling at the moon and Phil Neal.

In other words, you won't have a bloody clue who to replace him with.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/brian-reade/Trust-your-manager-before-football-slides-down-the-YouTube-article106103.html
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #403 on: August 8, 2009, 12:29:22 pm »
Been injured since March and won't be fit until 4-8 weeks! Did Roma see us coming?
its 4-8 weeks for fuck sake,did you know the season lasts until may 2010?

Offline Meako1977

• Legacy Fan
  • King of the Kop
« Reply #404 on: August 8, 2009, 12:35:23 pm »
Really? Berbatov, Nani, Anderson, Ferreira, and Carvalho would beg to differ... And for this season, one of Santa Cruz, Tevez and Adebayor will surely be warming the bench quite frequently...

There's nothing wrong with having 3 class players for 2 positions...

All the players listed above where bought by clubs who can afford to buy £20m players to fill their bench. Last time I checked we were not in such a fortunate position. He has been bought to play and make an impact. We havent got the luxury of allowing him time to settle and this can be the biggest problem. Biggest example to date is Babel who would be a better player at the Mancs, Chelsea or Arsenal as the expectations on a young player are less even when they have been signed for a few quid.
Born in Liverpool, raised a red, lived as a red and will die as a red. YNWA

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #405 on: August 8, 2009, 12:36:14 pm »
As much as I agree, there's one thing I was hoping to see from Lucas this summer which I haven't... As much as he's improved most of his game, his vision is still not quite there... I appreciate that he never had or will have the passing range of Alonso, but the big difference between them and which slightly frustrates me with Lucas is that he almost always looks to pass sideways or backwards even when the flow of the game is desperately calling for someone to push forward... Alonso, through his dictated play, used to balance that quite well... He'd slow the tempo and pass back or sideways when needed, and at times would try risky passes forward which at times resulted in our most dangerous opportunities...

In summary, I'd like to see Lucas take some risks with his passing at times, rather than be too worried.. Through balls by nature will fail more than half of the times (either defenders will intercept or forwards will be called for offside) but when it does go through effectively, it will almost certainly create the best chances
not sure this will happen, he has to be a perfectionist with his passing, always comes looking for the ball, just to knock it on short to make space, will play the adventurous pass only when he knows it will get through, even then he does fail sometimes, but it's better for him to continue his job, keeping possession and ticking the game along. If you watch some the games he's like a ghost, you don't see him, but he get's the ball a lot.

I agree with your post up there Bill, 65m to barca, probably :)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: August 8, 2009, 12:43:52 pm »

He's on a five year contract you goon, stick to your armchair.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #407 on: August 8, 2009, 12:46:57 pm »
good post ali.
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #408 on: August 8, 2009, 12:53:38 pm »
If his nickname is The Little Prince, does that make him a Prince Albert?

Two Albert's in our first team, have we slipped back to the 1930's?

We've signed this guy? Too lightweight, we're doomed.

Wouldn't mind this guy though.

« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 12:58:37 pm by Finn Solomon »
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: August 8, 2009, 01:01:17 pm »

What faith you have in Rafa and our medical staff - duped by Roma ::)

Offline Del_c

• Main Stander
  • SOS Member 4856 - I wish I was born Scouse
« Reply #410 on: August 8, 2009, 01:02:49 pm »
Hes a good technical player, a wee bit more guile going forward and quicker than Xavi

It's a pity we need to wait to see him until 4-6 weeks. I can't wait, I'm expecting big things from the lad.

Welcome to Liverpool

IN RAFA WE TRUST

YNWA
xbox live tag - Delboy LFC YNWA

I hate the mancs - ALL OF THEM

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #411 on: August 8, 2009, 01:06:35 pm »
Hes a good technical player, a wee bit more guile going forward and quicker than Xavi
When did we sign him? :o

Offline uitmis

• Main Stander
« Reply #412 on: August 8, 2009, 01:18:11 pm »
Biggest example to date is Babel who would be a better player at the Mancs, Chelsea or Arsenal as the expectations on a young player are less even when they have been signed for a few quid.

Surely he wouldn't BE a better player.  Maybe he would be PERCEIVED to be a better player, but that just goes to show that our standards ar higher than theirs.

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #413 on: August 8, 2009, 01:23:40 pm »
When did we sign him? :o

I'm still not sure that we have yet. Obviously a contract has been agreed as mentioned on the Official Site but even Rafa's online programme notes for today says the contract has yet to be signed. I wonder if there are issues with Aqualani's insurance? In the current financial crisis surely a man who has just had ankle surgery and who has had injury problems for the last 3 years is an insurance risk.

And yes I do want him to recover, be a success and pick up a league winners medal in May!!!
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: August 8, 2009, 01:32:50 pm »
Rafa obiviously wrote those notes before he has the medical,as it was reported on the offfi last n8 the player had passed the medical and agreed terms....your either on a windup tony or very thick.

Offline Tonyh

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: August 8, 2009, 01:36:28 pm »
John, you are either on a wind up or very thick, you show me on the official site where it says the contract  has been signed. It just says agreed. Do you think players insurance on a £20m injured signing will just get rubber stamped?

ps sorry for the abuse.

Offline JohnSullie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: August 8, 2009, 01:38:21 pm »
Thick it is then,whats that old saying again,never argue with stupid people as they will...

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #417 on: August 8, 2009, 01:43:18 pm »
good news is rafa thinks lucas was the best player in preseason

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165345090808-1132.htm
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Tony Soprano

• Kemlynite
« Reply #418 on: August 8, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
about the youtube thing - didn't sven supposedly buy a load of players for Man City based on just watching DVDs ?

Offline Tonyh

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: August 8, 2009, 01:45:39 pm »
....always reply!. 

Didn't it takes several weeks if not months for Dan Agger's contract to be signed once agreed not to mention Stevie's, Dirk's & Rafa's which all sat on the table basically agreed but unsigned for some period of time while other issues were dealt with.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #420 on: August 8, 2009, 01:55:17 pm »
you are either on a wind up or very thick

im sure the post you quoted was in reference to someone saying XAVI.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #421 on: August 8, 2009, 01:58:42 pm »

... and Rafa would be right about that.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #422 on: August 8, 2009, 02:09:36 pm »
Thick it is then,whats that old saying again,never argue with stupid people as they will...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9n677ZbzC24" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9n677ZbzC24</a>

;D
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #423 on: August 8, 2009, 02:13:07 pm »

Totally agree. Have stated in several post's on this forum that I thought he was/is/has been outstanding for us this pre-season.....good to see rafa noticed as well and is giving him the recognition he deserves.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #424 on: August 8, 2009, 02:15:26 pm »
That Brian Reade article is great. Very true, and very apt.

Funniest thing on here I read was 'I hope Rafa knows what he's doing, I've never heard of him!'

Er, yeah, well I'd take Rafa's knowledge of the lad over someone who's panicking whether he's any good or not because he's never heard of him....
 :wave

p.s They followed that up by saying 'we should have got Villa or Silva!' God give me strength...
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Tony Soprano

• Kemlynite
« Reply #425 on: August 8, 2009, 02:19:21 pm »
Totally agree. Have stated in several post's on this forum that I thought he was/is/has been outstanding for us this pre-season.....good to see rafa noticed as well and is giving him the recognition he deserves.

would like to see him get an extended run in his preferred position (CM)

no more playing on the right, under pressure from the crowd, not sure when next game will be - tell him he's got 6 or 7 games until aquilani is fit  to show what he can do

Offline Fontaine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: August 8, 2009, 02:25:01 pm »
Ok I watched three Roma games and other Serie A highlights this morning featuring our boy Alberto.  Two of the games I watched were Champions League games against Chelsea and the Mancs last from last season and heres my assessment.

His main attributes without a doubt are his passing and vision and particularly in the final third.  Hes seems to be one of these players who always plays the right pass at the right time.  He's not in the Alonso mould at all, he won't see nearly as much of the ball and he won't control our tempo like Xabi did.  Hes also far less natural in the defensive third and his tackling is almost non existant.  He plays very central and seems to be constantly on the move but at a controlled pace.  When he makes an incisive pass to set up an attack this is where you will see his real value as apposed to Xabi he will bust a gut to get into the box and support the attack.

With the loss of Xabi and acquisition of Aquilani our formation has changed dramatically and has become much more offensive I believe we will see our full backs taking more responsibility to advance play up field.  Torres will be the focal point of an attack that will see Stevie, Aquilani, Kuyt/Benny and Riera constantly on the move.  I just hope that Fabio/Insua and Johnson can do the job on the wings and my other main worry is if Masch gets injured we've no back up in the holding role.

If I was to compare Aquilani to any player in our squad it would definitely be Lucas but the finished article.  I think he will be told to model his game on Aquilani and they will be a straight swap for that position in the formation.

Offline mayday

• Kopite
  • Keep the faith
« Reply #427 on: August 8, 2009, 02:28:41 pm »
Ok I watched three Roma games and other Serie A highlights this morning featuring our boy Alberto.  Two of the games I watched were Champions League games against Chelsea and the Mancs last from last season and heres my assessment.

His main attributes without a doubt are his passing and vision and particularly in the final third.  Hes seems to be one of these players who always plays the right pass at the right time.  He's not in the Alonso mould at all, he won't see nearly as much of the ball and he won't control our tempo like Xabi did.  Hes also far less natural in the defensive third and his tackling is almost non existant.  He plays very central and seems to be constantly on the move but at a controlled pace.  When he makes an incisive pass to set up an attack this is where you will see his real value as apposed to Xabi he will bust a gut to get into the box and support the attack.

With the loss of Xabi and acquisition of Aquilani our formation has changed dramatically and has become much more offensive I believe we will see our full backs taking more responsibility to advance play up field.  Torres will be the focal point of an attack that will see Stevie, Aquilani, Kuyt/Benny and Riera constantly on the move.  I just hope that Fabio/Insua and Johnson can do the job on the wings and my other main worry is if Masch gets injured we've no back up in the holding role.

If I was to compare Aquilani to any player in our squad it would definitely be Lucas but the finished article.  I think he will be told to model his game on Aquilani and they will be a straight swap for that position in the formation.

good analysis
In Brendan We Trust

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #428 on: August 8, 2009, 02:29:56 pm »
Aqualani hasnt signed yet :-[, he has only agreed terms and passed a medical
'Liverpool FC confirmed this evening that Alberto Aquilani has successfully completed a medical and agreed a five-year contract with the club.'
he has no profile on the official website and is still on Roma's website
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 02:36:02 pm by NANDO09 »

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #429 on: August 8, 2009, 02:30:42 pm »
its great news that this is all sorted, maybe he will be at the game today, let us know if he is seen in the crowd.

As for people worrying about cover, dont forget that last year we had Masch, Lucas AND Babel at the olympics and we coped. This year I think Spearing can be trusted with the odd start, so even if we did get another injury we should be able to cope.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: August 8, 2009, 02:31:53 pm »

Thats pretty spot on. My feeling was after going back to watch a couple of CL match's for roma that he isn't a traditional center midfielder but rather one that sits in front of a defensive pair of midfielders and does the majority of his work in the opposition half of the pitch.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline JohnSullie

• Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 02:33:57 pm by JohnSullie »

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 8, 2009, 02:35:25 pm »
its great news that this is all sorted, maybe he will be at the game today, let us know if he is seen in the crowd.

As for people worrying about cover, dont forget that last year we had Masch, Lucas AND Babel at the olympics and we coped. This year I think Spearing can be trusted with the odd start, so even if we did get another injury we should be able to cope.

I'm also hoping Rafa will give Spearing a go this season; its make or break time isn't it for players like him to show they can make it if given a chance. And I also am hoping for Ngog to be a vast improvement over what we saw last season of him.

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: August 8, 2009, 02:39:27 pm »
Aqua Man! Aqua Man!
Does whatever Alonso can.

Makes a pass.
Takes a shot.

Will we miss Xabi?
Let's hope not!

LOOK OUT!...
Here comes the Aquamaaaaaaan.

*Jazz Hands*

;D the jazz hands bit turned a pile of shite,  into a work of genius  :D
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 8, 2009, 02:42:16 pm »

That's a main stand analyis if ever I saw...

Offline aristeia

• Main Stander
  • ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
« Reply #435 on: August 8, 2009, 02:45:30 pm »

Absolutely, although I've seen him defend a little better.  But that's definitely what he needs to work on if anything.  You saw everything I have seen... always moving, amazing passing and vision, and a great work rate. 

My Romanista feelings aside, I'm glad Rafa didn't try to find someone that played more like Xabi-- he'd likely never stack up and I think the injection of more offensive play is exactly what is needed.  Seems smart to me, help anchor the defense w/ another signing like Johnson, which will (hopefully) allow the boys to be more attack-minded and a player like Albertino will slot in nicely w/ that in mind.  Obviously, time will tell. 

(Watching Inter lose to Lazio in the Super Coppa... I got up at 8 am for this?  Gross.)
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 02:48:50 pm by aristeia »

Offline aristeia

• Main Stander
  • ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
« Reply #436 on: August 8, 2009, 02:48:19 pm »
Aqualani hasnt signed yet :-[, he has only agreed terms and passed a medical
'Liverpool FC confirmed this evening that Alberto Aquilani has successfully completed a medical and agreed a five-year contract with the club.'
he has no profile on the official website and is still on Roma's website

If it helps Roma's website is a worthless piece of shit. 
« Last Edit: August 8, 2009, 02:51:43 pm by aristeia »

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #437 on: August 8, 2009, 02:54:55 pm »
If it helps Roma's website is a worthless piece of shit.
o ok but why doesnt he have a profile on ours?

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: August 8, 2009, 02:57:38 pm »

jesus christ man , waddya think yer doing bringing reasoable thought and sensible analysis in here, dont you know yer only allowed to bring youtube montage wankfest's or expert armchair physio doom and gloom!

;)

great post btw    :)
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline milzibkit

• Main Stander
« Reply #439 on: August 8, 2009, 03:04:48 pm »
Has anybody mentioned that Rafa may not be thinking that Aquilani will be a replacement for Alonso, he may be considering him as a replacement for Barry. When he wanted Barry last season he obviously had tactics planned and knew Barry would fit into the way he wanted Liverpool to play.

If Aquilani can play in the mould Barry, or better, then I don't think the loss of Alonso will be considered a big deal by Rafa.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.