Author Topic: The Pacific - HBO Series  (Read 35004 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Re: The Pacific - HBO Series
« Reply #360 on: December 11, 2010, 03:05:12 pm »
I think with bob, people never expected it to be as good and as well written, directed, and acted as saving private Ryan. It was..no..is..the greatest ww2series ever made.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2010, 12:37:48 am »
Asked me ma for this this Christmas as we never had Sky when it was on the telly. Looking forward to seeing it.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2010, 12:45:30 am »
Asked me ma for this this Christmas as we never had Sky when it was on the telly. Looking forward to seeing it.
I wouldnt, if you liked BoB!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2010, 02:04:49 am »
I'll give it a go mate, can't be that bad surely? I loved BoB like, superb series.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2010, 03:11:48 am »
I'll give it a go mate, can't be that bad surely? I loved BoB like, superb series.

Try not to compare it with BoB.

There's no equivalent of Easy Company, rolling from island to island in the Pacific War, the capture of each island was like a war in itself. The writers used the stories of three individuals who saw action, in different key battles.

The result lacks the dramatic progression of BoB, and you'll need to work harder remembering who's who, but it is historically accurate and not without great moments. On it's own terms a very good series.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:13:19 am by Ginamos »

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2010, 03:42:07 am »

Stop comparing the two. They are both different styles and have different idea's behind how the stories are told.

Both deserve their own merits. :)
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2010, 09:25:42 am »
^

Yeah don't compare the two. The Pacific doesn't take the piss out of us Brits like BOB did.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2010, 09:59:31 am »
The pacific: starts well but drops a notch when they hit Australia and subsequently the mental hospital episode but it picks up again with the invasion of pelilieu island and doesn't stop from there on.

Good to hear, just finished the mental hospital episode.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: December 12, 2010, 10:01:31 am »
Try not to compare it with BoB.

Telling this to myself as I'm watching it.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #369 on: January 1, 2011, 06:24:20 pm »
Don't really like war films, but gave this a go for some reason. Just finished and loved it. Band of Brothers downloading now so guess I'm in for a treat :)

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: January 1, 2011, 10:17:27 pm »
Got the last 2 episodes left, really enjoying it to be honest. Saw the BoB is a tenspot in HMV aswell and haven't seen that for years so i'm gonna pick it up this week
psn = Lents123

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: January 2, 2011, 12:12:47 am »
Just got the boxed DVD set today. Will watch it next weekend on a movie marathon weekend.

royhendo

« Reply #372 on: January 2, 2011, 09:46:43 am »
Oh God. I feel sorry for you mate. Enjoy the Aussie girl's boobs.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: January 2, 2011, 10:07:54 am »
Oh God. I feel sorry for you mate. Enjoy the Aussie girl's boobs.

They were defined. :)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: January 10, 2011, 07:54:39 am »
On a very sad note, Major Dick Winters (BOB) passed away yesterday.

RIP Major Winters. You are a legend.

Link: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/01/dick_winters_of_band_of_brothe.html

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: February 20, 2023, 11:04:30 pm »
Just started to watch this as loved Band of Brothers. See they also just started shooting the next follow up Masters of the Air. Nothing will ever match the original BoB but hoping The Pacific will be a great watch even though a tad behind 🙈and better than any current new series.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: February 20, 2023, 11:38:24 pm »
Just started to watch this as loved Band of Brothers. See they also just started shooting the next follow up Masters of the Air. Nothing will ever match the original BoB but hoping The Pacific will be a great watch even though a tad behind 🙈and better than any current new series.
Hope you enjoy it!

I love Band of Brothers, but that wasn't enough to help convince me see this series through to the end. Maybe I'd see it differently now!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #377 on: February 21, 2023, 08:31:24 am »
Hope you enjoy it!

I love Band of Brothers, but that wasn't enough to help convince me see this series through to the end. Maybe I'd see it differently now!

Band of Brothers was a continuous campaign, practically starting with their arrival in France and following them through to the end. The Pacific campaign was more stop start, with each island being one episode (in real life, not in the series) in itself. If you're not already interested in learning about the characters' story, we're conditioned to find the former more easily appealing.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 21, 2023, 09:42:29 am »
Hope you enjoy it!

I think I tried to watch it when it came out originally but for various reasons never got to see it all. Hopefully now after all the hype about Band of Brothers has long gone i can enjoy this show without comparing it too much to what was surely one of the best shows ever. First episode was good, as good as anything i have seen in recent years. It's crazy to think I can watch the Sopranos after this as never seen that either.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:47:15 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: January 29, 2024, 08:24:26 pm »
I'll watch the rest but the first two eps were poor.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: January 29, 2024, 08:29:03 pm »
I watched it recently and thought the same, lot of mindless action in the first few eps, don't really know/care who anyone is (Band of Brothers set up brilliantly for this by starting in training camp). Becomes more interesting when it slows down and delves into the character stuff more imo.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #381 on: January 29, 2024, 08:52:32 pm »
I watched it recently and thought the same, lot of mindless action in the first few eps, don't really know/care who anyone is (Band of Brothers set up brilliantly for this by starting in training camp). Becomes more interesting when it slows down and delves into the character stuff more imo.

There’s only two out isn’t there?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2024, 08:25:04 am »

It might be easier to follow if you bear in mind that it revolves around 3 protagonists:
1. Robert Leckie, author of the memoir "Helmet for my pillow".
2. Eugene Sledge, author of the memoir "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa".
3. John Basilone, archetypal MoH winner.

Band of Brothers was based on a single book about a single group. The Pacific was based on two books, plus Basilone.

Personally, I'd have preferred Basilone left out, and focused on just Leckie and Sledge. Sledge's memoir in particular is very vivid.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #383 on: January 30, 2024, 08:44:55 am »
It might be easier to follow if you bear in mind that it revolves around 3 protagonists:
2. Eugene Sledge, author of the memoir "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa".

Band of Brothers was based on a single book about a single group. The Pacific was based on two books, plus Basilone.

Personally, I'd have preferred Basilone left out, and focused on just Leckie and Sledge. Sledge's memoir in particular is very vivid.

Is this new series based on anything real?
It’s sad there being no talking-head snippets at the start.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #384 on: January 30, 2024, 01:52:27 pm »
The armoured clash in the BoB episode Carentan is supposed to be the most accurate depiction of armoured warfare on screen. In the vehicles involved, the small unit tactics involved, and the reactions of the soldiers on both sides.

I still class Band of Brothers as the greatest TV series ever made. The way it holds up nearly a quarter of a century later is just incredible. It was way beyond it's years.

You know when a 90's TV show looked like it was filmed in the 90's? Even if it was about a historic event. The effect work and cinematography was so ahead of its time. It just hasn't aged.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #385 on: January 30, 2024, 02:16:51 pm »
I still class Band of Brothers as the greatest TV series ever made. The way it holds up nearly a quarter of a century later is just incredible. It was way beyond it's years.

You know when a 90's TV show looked like it was filmed in the 90's? Even if it was about a historic event. The effect work and cinematography was so ahead of its time. It just hasn't aged.

BoB possibly my favourite all-time as well.

My favourite thing about BoB was that the film stock and grading had a 40's/rugged quality to it. It felt like a series that could have been made by BBC 4.
Was a shame they ignored that in Pacific, and in the latest to an extent - they feel too glossy.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: January 30, 2024, 03:47:37 pm »

Yes, but this only really becomes apparent after the first episode or two, which is why I thought BoB's training camp start was a better way of introducing characters - a lot of the fighting scenes in the early episodes of Pacific didn't have much impact on me. Sledge was my favourite in The Pacific, some of the scenes after he's returned home are quite moving. 
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: January 30, 2024, 06:16:48 pm »
Yes, but this only really becomes apparent after the first episode or two, which is why I thought BoB's training camp start was a better way of introducing characters - a lot of the fighting scenes in the early episodes of Pacific didn't have much impact on me. Sledge was my favourite in The Pacific, some of the scenes after he's returned home are quite moving. 

Understandable. His memoir was the most humanist from the source material. It's not in the series, but there's one bit where his captain (the one who was killed at Peleliu) ordered the artillery to fire regularly throughout the night, despite them complaining that there were no targets to shoot at. It made the infantry feel reassured that the heavies had their back.

And the incident where Leckie was wounded: he was a lucky man to survive. The Japanese artillery had decided to eradicate a particular area, and laid down a barrage with four walls surrounding it, and walked the walls in. Leckie was inside that area. The normal result is no survivors, but Leckie somehow survived it with severe injuries (he remembered thinking "Oh shit" when he realised what they were doing). Another incident of that was the Crossroads episode of BoB, where E company found a strong German counter attacking force, and the US artillery bracketed the area.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011