Author Topic: Lucas a cut above as trim inspires improved Liverpool FC form  (Read 196997 times)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lucas a cut above as trim inspires improved Liverpool FC form
« Reply #1440 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47:02 am »
I should know better than to even weigh into this, but...

Lucas is not good enough to be playing in that position for a team that wants to win the title.

That's not saying he is crap. That's not saying he won't become good enough. It's exactly what it says on the tin...

At this stage in his career, I don't think Lucas is good enough to boss midfield for a title winning team.

But the real problem is... what are the alternatives?

Give him time?
Pull Gerrard back next to Masch?
Play Gerrard in the position Rafa sees for Aqualini?
Play Benayoun between Gerrard and Nando?

I don't really know, but seems like Rafa has a decision to make.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #1441 on: August 25, 2009, 09:48:22 am »

His pass completion ratio is exceptionally high.
yes but his number of attempts are significantly lower than the rest.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline DAYDAY

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We are the barmy Anny Rd army...na na nana nana
« Reply #1442 on: August 25, 2009, 09:48:47 am »
With Aquilani now officialy crocked for 8 weeks and Levia set to take up Xabi,s position
I cant wait to see those opinions when we have drawn at least 3 of the 8 games

Said it a million times and will say it again................He,s a lazy B@stard and we may as
well be playing with 10 men

If he was that great Benitez wouldn,t have bothered with Alberto Aquilani

Blimey....

Did i say on august the 8th drawn 3....we have lost 2 of our opening 3 already

And to those of you that said Levia would eventually score goals

What a beauty....Reina was left for dead

Get Gerrard back in the middle till Alberto Aquilani is fit and let this kid

move to Accrington or cambridge

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1443 on: August 25, 2009, 09:49:28 am »
Blimey....

Did i say on august the 8th drawn 3....we have lost 2 of our opening 3 already

And to those of you that said Levia would eventually score goals

What a beauty....Reina was left for dead

Get Gerrard back in the middle till Alberto Aquilani is fit and let this kid

move to Accrington or cambridge

;D Nice fishing.

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #1444 on: August 25, 2009, 09:53:36 am »
If you truly believe he has no ball control then I think it's you that needs to get your eyes tested. Very early on in the match last night he produced the best piece of control I've seen for a very long while. The ball was fired towards him on the edge of the box and he completely took all the pace out of the ball and pinged it to a red shirt all with one touch. It was a truly sublime 1st time pass.

Sorry mate, but one good pass does not equal a great player. Lucas should be able to do that on a consistent basis. He hasn't got it in my view, you stick to the saying he's OK, he does alright. He gets one pass out out of 100 passes etc....

The point is a weak player placed in one of the strongest positions is a recipe for disaster.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:56:26 am by mybacklight »

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #1445 on: August 25, 2009, 09:55:37 am »
Sell him in january please Rafa.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1446 on: August 25, 2009, 09:56:04 am »
How on earth is Lucas being blamed for last night? There were at least 6 players worse than him. He's had a good start to the season and been one of our better players. This scapegoating really pisses me off.

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #1447 on: August 25, 2009, 09:58:35 am »
Iam not scapegoating. Lucas hasnt got the quality to be included in a strong posistion centrally.

Rafa was to blame for last night, got his tatics way off and should have changed the layout at half time!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:07:39 am by mybacklight »

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1448 on: August 25, 2009, 10:00:55 am »
How on earth is Lucas being blamed for last night? There were at least 6 players worse than him. He's had a good start to the season and been one of our better players. This scapegoating really pisses me off.
Scapegoating, I can't stand it. But there's scapegoating and fact...
And it seems to me that the fact is, Lucas just isn't ready to boss midfield for a team that wants to win the title.

But the other, far more worrying fact, is... we don't have many options right at this moment.

In fact, we basically have 2...
Gamble on Lucas suddenly overnight turning into the player that he might become in another season or 2?
Or pull back Gerrard until Aqualini is fit?

"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #1449 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:42 am »
Scapegoating, I can't stand it. But there's scapegoating and fact...
And it seems to me that the fact is, Lucas just isn't ready to boss midfield for a team that wants to win the title.

But the other, far more worrying fact, is... we don't have many options right at this moment.

In fact, we basically have 2...
Gamble on Lucas suddenly overnight turning into the player that he might become in another season or 2?
Or pull back Gerrard until Aqualini is fit?

This is the same Gerrard who has, by his standards, been utter fucking shit in the 3 games this year FS? I can see why you don't think Lucas is ready, but I have severe doubts that Gerrard has the defensive mentality now to be able to step back into CM and boss the game.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1450 on: August 25, 2009, 10:04:34 am »
This is the same Gerrard who has, by his standards, been utter fucking shit in the 3 games this year FS? I can see why you don't think Lucas is ready, but I have severe doubts that Gerrard has the defensive mentality now to be able to step back into CM and boss the game.
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just pointing out our options

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #1451 on: August 25, 2009, 10:04:35 am »
I should know better than to even weigh into this, but...

Lucas is not good enough to be playing in that position for a team that wants to win the title.
End of.

As Xavidub said, he wouldn't be playing if we had a proper budget.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1452 on: August 25, 2009, 10:08:16 am »
Well, I'm out of this thread before I get sucked into another pointless discussion, and we all know why are options are limited right now, but I stick by what I've said

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #1453 on: August 25, 2009, 10:08:22 am »
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just pointing out our options
Yeah I know mate. Really, we're just in the shit because our replacement for lucas isn't ready to play yet.
Gratitude

Offline Stevie-G

• Kopite
  • "IT'S WONDERFUL, IT'S MARVELOUS, ITS 3-3!"
« Reply #1454 on: August 25, 2009, 10:09:07 am »
He is negative, no ball control, not aware of his surroundings, slow reactions, scared of taking the ball forward, passing is woefull plus against stronger opposition we have no chance with him. 

Sorry mate but i disagree with every single one of those points. First of all, we've beat teams such as United and Inter with him, secondly it is very easy for fans like us to watch a game and think a penetrating pass could be made every single time a midfielder has the ball, this is simply not the case. As soon as Lucas receives the ball 99% of the time his head instantly looks forward to see his options upfront, now if all a midfielder can see is 2 lines of 4 Aston villa players in front of him, it is extremely difficult to constantly make non-backwards passes.

The times which he did find space to slip in a pass to one of our more attacking players, they were simply stripped off the ball. But its much more easier to blame the young and inexperienced plays for losses, i guess...
" WE GO AGAIN! "

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1455 on: August 25, 2009, 10:10:24 am »
Sorry mate, but one good pass does not equal a great player.

Never said it did, but you said he has no ball control, which to me seems utterly ludicrous as from what I've seen he has the best 1st touch in our squad.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #1456 on: August 25, 2009, 10:10:25 am »
I can't see why people leap to his defence. He's obviously not a bad player but is he good enough? Of course he isn't. Is this his fault? No.

He is playing for Liverpool not some run-of-the-mill team.

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #1457 on: August 25, 2009, 10:11:20 am »
End of.

As Xavidub said, he wouldn't be playing if we had a proper budget.
Or if we hadn't spent 20 mill on a seriously injury prone player who was injured even at the time he was being bought and can't play until over a month into the season by which time we could be well behind the league leaders??

Or if we hadn't sold our talismanic playmaker  who still had 3 full years of contract which significantly weakened the team only 12 days before the season??
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1458 on: August 25, 2009, 10:11:50 am »
I can't see why people leap to his defence. He's obviously not a bad player but is he good enough? Of course he isn't. Is this his fault? No.

Blame Rafa then.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1459 on: August 25, 2009, 10:12:37 am »

The reason I defend him is because in my eyes to simply blame Lucas is completely missing the real issue, which is our lack of movement and 1 touch passing which in turn both hinders Lucas and the team as a whole.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1460 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:17 am »
Blame Rafa then.

I do. He has known for months and months that Alonso was going to leave. His plan to replace him looks a little flimsy now.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1461 on: August 25, 2009, 10:14:25 am »
Oh before I go, here's something to throw the cat in amongst the pigeons...
Rafa rightly defended Lucas last night and said it wasn't down to him. He made the point that the senior professionals had to take their part in the responsibility for what happened last night.

That's completely true, but I wonder if he included himself amongst them senior professionals?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1462 on: August 25, 2009, 10:15:37 am »
I do. He has known for months and months that Alonso was going to leave. His plan to replace him looks a little flimsy now.
Maybe Rafa was promised he would get to spend the £30-35m on top of what we have brought in already.

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #1463 on: August 25, 2009, 10:16:01 am »
Okay so let me get this straight.

Lucas is being made the scapegoat when clearly the problem last night was our attackers and inability to deal with or score from set pieces.

However, he's still not good enough to play central midfield in a title challenging team.

So what we want then is someone who can step in and almost singlehandedly change a game from central midfield when players like Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt, Yossi, and Babel aren't playing well enough to score goals. Yet we also want this player to be neat and tidy in midfield, retain posession well, and be defensively sound in the tackle like Xabi was.

I think I understand now. Our hopes now lie in Aquilani, or that VDV rumour coming true. Think we'd have been better of with Kaka though.

"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1464 on: August 25, 2009, 10:17:17 am »
Rafa rightly defended Lucas last night and said it wasn't down to him. He made the point that the senior professionals had to take their part in the responsibility for what happened last night.

That's completely true, but I wonder if he included himself amongst them senior professionals?
Thinking the same ...... but from my point of view it was how Glen and Insua didn't bomb forward and seemed under orders not to ?

Offline cmccarthy81

• Anny Roader
  • c'mon no.19
« Reply #1465 on: August 25, 2009, 10:17:31 am »

That's not saying he is crap. That's not saying he won't become good enough. It's exactly what it says on the tin...

Agreed. I certainly think lucas is a decent player, he gives everything but he just doesn't impact the game enough at either end. He also seems to play in similar areas to masch, which almost leads to them getting under one anothers feet and they exchange 2 or 3 ten yard balls to each other. Niether of the pair have seem brave/confident enough to drive forward.

I think the only option is to drop gerrard back into CM, but who to play up top?.......I think Dirk, thought he looked good there for the dutch last week.

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1466 on: August 25, 2009, 10:17:44 am »
The reason I defend him is because in my eyes to simply blame Lucas is completely missing the real issue, which is our lack of movement and 1 touch passing which in turn both hinders Lucas and the team as a whole.

Yes, but I think you are missing the point.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1467 on: August 25, 2009, 10:17:47 am »
So what we want then is someone who can step in and almost singlehandedly change a game from central midfield when players like Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt, Yossi, and Babel aren't playing well enough to score goals. Yet we also want this player to be neat and tidy in midfield, retain posession well, and be defensively sound in the tackle like Xabi was.

You got it in one smartarse

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #1468 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:11 am »

Maybe, maybe not FS. At the end of the day, the old saying of "once they cross the white line, there's pretty much nothing the manager can do about it" rings true.

It's the players that need to look at themselves and realise that they're not performing to the level that they're paid stupid money to do. Every one of the squad needs to man up, admit that they've been shit and put it right in the next game. For the ones that don't I do hope that a spell on the bench beckons and to be quite honest that applies to everyone bar reina at the moment. If that playing for your place fear isn't there then these performances will continue.
Gratitude

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #1469 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:37 am »
Never said it did, but you said he has no ball control, which to me seems utterly ludicrous as from what I've seen he has the .best 1st touch in our squad

"best 1st touch in our squad" Your having a laugh! Sorry but you need to watch a bit more closely. You got your opinion, Iam not going to argue the toss. You think he has ball control and I disagree. End of!

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1470 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:44 am »
Right, after not enough, but at least some sleep I recognise I didn't make my point too well - and before I start I think it's worth noting that I'm NOT setting Lucas up as the reason we lost last night, he wasn't as pretty much everyone front to back had mares - he just did nothing but last night but frustrate.

As others have stated, he's passing completion stats are misleading. He gave a fucking load of hospital passes last night, which made the job of the receivers impossible and they invariably lost the ball (which they also did without Lucas' imput, but he didn't help). I think Gerrard's game was made to look even worse with the quality of the balls he received from Lucas, he got them, just it seemed to me he was often tackled two seconds later. I may point out that although Gerrard was also woeful at times yesterday he was EVERYWHERE last night, front to back, left and right trying to get some impetus into our play. No one delivered.

Ones that weren't hospital passes were horizontal short little numbers which did very little if anything to help build up play or relieve pressure, they just sort of took the blame off him when the ball is next lost and that is my main problem with him, as it was with Dirk last night (who I believe had a much worse game than Lucas), that they seem to believe that their job is simply to get the ball to the nearest red shirt and let them deal with it, which in front of goal was an agonising thing to watch.

I'm not crying out for Alonso, but it seems that Lucas last night could really have benefitted from being Alonso. They're not the same type of player at all, but he offered nothing that Alonso lacked, and offered nothing of what made Alonso good. I don't hate Lucas, and sometimes I've been impressed by him, but he's just not good enough.

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1471 on: August 25, 2009, 10:19:24 am »
Maybe Rafa was promised he would get to spend the £30-35m on top of what we have brought in already.

Maybe you are right. But he did spend £20 million on a lad who hasn't kicked a ball since March. This doesn't look very smart now either.

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #1472 on: August 25, 2009, 10:19:47 am »
It doesn't matter that you don't 'care' - you're only a fan like the rest of us anyway.  'Long passes' led to nought?  Long balls isn't how we play?  Who mentioned long balls?  I said 40 yard pinpoint passes was what Alonso offered - not 100 yard/100 ft high hoofs to no-one in particular.

There's a reason he runs the game from centre of midfield for the Spanish.  There's a reason Real paid £30m for him, and it wasn't based on 'long ball' football.

Anyway he's gone now.  My point was there's a lack of creativity now in midfield, and then ...

'Creation' isn't the role of midfield?

Feck it mate, I give up.  Enjoy the season.

To me a 40 yard pass is a long pass, our principal game is one of short passes and movement, and that's how we play best. Sure there is a place for longer passing but for the most point it's unnecessary.

Sure there is a reason for that, it's got more to do with the players around him, have a look at their attributes on a continuum Xabi sits perfectly with attacking players such as Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta who are all able to break down defences with their passing while using Xabi to retain the footy. Up until that point his role is principally to ensure that the ball is passed to those players. I'm not saying he wasn't a magnificent player.

My point is that even while he was here he did the simple job of providing the attackers with good service and then being an option to receive again once we were set in attack. He didn't do anything spectacular, he didn't need to. Lucas for all his criticism has done exactly the same thing only that he hasn't even had the chance to be in position to receive the ball again after delivering due to the manner in which our attackers time and time again have been losing possession.

Creation is a wonderful thing but our primary means of attack is through working passes through the defence, incorporating our attacking four and our full backs, or creating openings for our stronger and faster attacking players to run straight through. The role of creation lies primarily with these players not so much with our central midfielders who are primarily providers and distributors.
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1473 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:54 am »
Maybe you are right. But he did spend £20 million on a lad who hasn't kicked a ball since March. This doesn't look very smart now either.

It'll look a better decision down the road. He's some player.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #1474 on: August 25, 2009, 10:28:44 am »
lol still Lucas gets the blame, not the fact that

Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt adn Benayoun hardly held up the ball and gave it away, and didnt fuckin score their chances.

Open your eyes people, we could have won by a cricket score. The gameplan wasnt wrong, it was the players up top.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline JamieB

• Legacy Fan
  • Winning isn't important, it's everything
« Reply #1475 on: August 25, 2009, 10:29:12 am »
He doesn't lose the ball because he plays it simple. He doesn't look for the killer pass, he doesn't drive forward. He just doesn't offer anything in the final third of the pitch. We have Mascherano to do what he's doing.
Pass and Move its the Liverpool Groove,
Go Robbie, Go Robbie, Go!

Offline myrlas