Author Topic: Lucas a cut above as trim inspires improved Liverpool FC form  (Read 197008 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Lucas a cut above as trim inspires improved Liverpool FC form
« Reply #1280 on: August 21, 2009, 02:51:19 pm »
Sorry can't be happy hes in the brazil squad - lovely for him and all but both our CMs having to trek to and from south america is going to have an effect on our team

Offline Gus the teenage cow

• "Yeah but not but yeah but no but yeah, roight?"
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1281 on: August 21, 2009, 02:55:44 pm »
even when aquilani gets fit george shouldn't be thought of as the one who is automatically dropped to make way for him, if he plays well, keep george in

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: August 21, 2009, 02:55:54 pm »
Sorry can't be happy hes in the brazil squad - lovely for him and all but both our CMs having to trek to and from south america is going to have an effect on our team

We knew they would be doing that when we bought them. We have to deal with it.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1283 on: August 21, 2009, 02:58:08 pm »
No, I think Bennayoun is. Any other predictions, Nostradamus?

You mean the bloke who said his best position in the team is from the left?

I'm a left sided player you daft twat

I call your Nostradamus and raise you a Stephen Hawking.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: August 21, 2009, 03:02:37 pm »
LUCAS GETS BRAZIL CALL-UP

He could now earn his fourth international can against clubmate Javier Mascherano when Brazil face Argentina on September 5, before heading to Salvador to play Chile four days later.

For the love of God, don't you two injure each other.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1285 on: August 21, 2009, 03:04:29 pm »
Him playing for Brazil is something I hoped he'd achieve this season. Didn't expect it to come so soon, so happy for the lad. It can only give him more confidence and experience of playing with Brazil- an open attacking side- with players like Kaka, will hopefully better his experiences. Hope he's in the world cup side for them next summer and establishes himself as a regular pick for them.

Of course, there are downsides- the treks to S. America... especially with Mascherano in the same boat. But we should hopefully be able to cope.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1286 on: August 21, 2009, 03:08:53 pm »
Him playing for Brazil is something I hoped he'd achieve this season. Didn't expect it to come so soon, so happy for the lad. It can only give him more confidence and experience of playing with Brazil- an open attacking side- with players like Kaka, will hopefully better his experiences. Hope he's in the world cup side for them next summer and establishes himself as a regular pick for them.

Of course, there are downsides- the treks to S. America... especially with Mascherano in the same boat. But we should hopefully be able to cope.

If they're going by boat we won't see them for a month. :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #1287 on: August 21, 2009, 03:09:43 pm »
Beyond the pale.

I'm sure The Knight of the Empire from Manchester is preparing his notes as we speak to put the little scamp in his place. Tony Pulis doesn't deserve that. Not after all the fine work he's done with the LMA. The blasphemy of these Latino upstarts.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: August 21, 2009, 03:22:06 pm »
For the love of God, don't you two injure each other.

Do you remember last summer when they played each other in the Olympics? Lucas chased Masch 70 yards, kicked him in the air and got sent off?   :D
Macca resplendent!

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1289 on: August 21, 2009, 03:29:28 pm »
Do you remember last summer when they played each other in the Olympics? Lucas chased Masch 70 yards, kicked him in the air and got sent off?   :D

Yup, I remember looking at the pictures on the Getty site and you couldn't tell they were normally teammates.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1290 on: August 21, 2009, 03:29:29 pm »

Mercifully I'd forgotten but you're bringing it all back.

Offline Need_a_bevvy

• The Bomber Harris of the Current Affairs Forum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: August 21, 2009, 03:33:37 pm »
Very satisfied that Lucas had a good game and contributed to our win.

Though, I thought he played pretty much the way he has always played.  Quality pass and move football, combined with a good effort on defense.

Certainly, not a qualitative difference, but perhaps a slight upgrading of the already evident qualities.

Much of it perhaps because the other players seem to have more trust in the lad.

Keep it going Lucas.

With him and Aquiliani coming through, I think they both can contribute to a more fluid and dynamic attacking play that might just lift us up to the next level footballing wise.

Cheers.  :wave
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline heman08

• Main Stander
« Reply #1292 on: August 21, 2009, 03:57:44 pm »
Rafa Benitez anger at Lucas Leiva's critics

Rafael Benitez has hit out at Lucas Leiva’s critics following the young Liverpool midfielder’s call-up for Brazil’s forthcoming World Cup qualifiers.

The Reds chief has become increasingly annoyed at media pundits’ criticism of the 22-year-old, and has suggested he is an easy target compared to senior stars.

Lucas was again singled out after the opening Barclays Premier League defeat at Tottenham last weekend, but responded with a fine display in the midweek victory over Stoke.

Benitez said: "Lucas has a very good mentality. But for someone of his age to suffer such criticism from the experts on TV is wrong.

"He is so good but still he was criticised. I do not understand why they do not criticise other players, more senior players, when they do not play well.

"He is an easy target and maybe they are not brave enough to criticise the bigger players here."

He added: "But he will have a big season. He was the best player in pre-season and at Spurs, when we did not play well, he was still one of the best alongside Glen Johnson and Pepe Reina.

"Against Stoke he again showed his quality. He has a very good mentality. He can tackle, win headers and pass the ball. He will make mistakes like anyone, but he is and will be a very good player.

"I was really pleased for Lucas, in particular, after the win against Stoke and his performance.

"I have been really surprised at the amount of criticism he has had to cope with from the pundits, the so-called experts.

"Lucas is still a young player but he has experience. And after the display against Stoke everyone can see, even the so-called experts on TV pundit panels, can see he is a very good player.

"Hopefully they will now stop using him as a target. He is a very good lad, an excellent professional. I find it hard to understand that if you are an expert on TV, you cannot see these things."

Lucas will be in Liverpool’s midfield on Monday for the home game with Aston Villa, and he has earned a call-up for Brazil for their crucial World Cup ties against Javier Mascherano’s Argentina and Chile next month.

He could now earn his fourth international cap against his club mate when Brazil face Argentina on September 5, before heading to Salvador to play Chile four days later.

Lucas has responded to his critics, saying: "Back in Brazil everything seemed to progress perfectly for me. I played well, scored goals and won titles.

"Since I have moved to Liverpool, I’ve had some difficult moments. However, those experiences can help me. They have made me mentally stronger.

"I have done plenty of work in pre-season, I am better able to cope with the physical side of the game here. I will be able to get forward more and I believe I can have a good season.

"I have confidence in myself - you need that in life, not just football. So no matter what, I believe in myself and the manager does too."

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/08/21/rafa-benitez-anger-at-lucas-leiva-s-critics-liverpool-fc-latest-92534-24500553/

''Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
-Bill Shankly

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1293 on: August 21, 2009, 04:09:47 pm »
Beyond the pale.
Arrogant beyond belief that, it's obvious where he gets it from. Shocking. I don't think they desereved that, what with all the sterling work they do for the LMA polishing Fungus' helmet.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1294 on: August 21, 2009, 04:11:34 pm »
I'm sure The Knight of the Empire from Manchester is preparing his notes as we speak to put the little scamp in his place. Tony Pulis doesn't deserve that. Not after all the fine work he's done with the LMA. The blasphemy of these Latino upstarts.
snap

Offline Need_a_bevvy

• The Bomber Harris of the Current Affairs Forum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1295 on: August 21, 2009, 04:12:06 pm »
"Hopefully they will now stop using him as a target. He is a very good lad, an excellent professional. I find it hard to understand that if you are an expert on RAWK, you cannot see these things."

;)
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #1296 on: August 21, 2009, 04:12:41 pm »
that anger/rant headline. wonder if rafa goes to paintball game with the boys, the headline would be rafa goes postal and has a shooting rampage.
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1297 on: August 21, 2009, 04:14:57 pm »
Good on you Rafa.

I hope some of our so called supporters take in some of what he's saying, and not just Jamie "top top" Rednapp, Merson, et al.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1298 on: August 21, 2009, 04:15:32 pm »
I'm loving this from Rafa, by the way. He's really letting rip with both barrels.

Anyone else think that, with his contract signed, he feels a lot safer to let rip at some sacred cows?

Telling Torres to focus, letting rip at the TV blerts, a rather pointed message to the senior players that the Spurs performance was not acceptable - but equally making sure that those who did perform properly were excused - excellent stuff.

Obviously I hope he doesn't take it to far, obviously (damn you GJ), but there's nothing at all wrong with keeping people on their toes. All this must be making Lucas feel 10 feet tall, I really, really hope this carries on into the Villa game.

Offline mooks

• struggles with difficult concepts - must try harder 5/10
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1299 on: August 21, 2009, 04:20:11 pm »
Benítez, who saw Jamie Carragher receive stitches in a head wound and Martin Skrtel depart with stitches and a damaged jaw after a first-half collision between the pair, did acknowledge that his team "did not play well, especially in the first-half" and that they had not been "comfortable in possession".  "We need to improve in the middle, keeping the ball," he added. "The understanding between the strikers and the midfielders has to be much better."

Get a grip Rafa.......... Lucas had a great game, just ask all the experts in here.

It would pay to take just a few seconds to try to understand what Rafa is saying

It was Torres (especially) and Gerrard who kept losing possession.  That is obviously who Rafa was referring to as Lucas hardly gave the ball away all afternoon.

He added: "But he will have a big season. He was the best player in pre-season and at Spurs, when we did not play well, he was still one of the best alongside Glen Johnson and Pepe Reina.

:wave

Offline L Redwing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: August 21, 2009, 04:23:39 pm »
Rafa's comments make me really happy. I've been fascinated watching Rafa (accused by all and sundry of being a poor man manager) stand up for Lucas time and time again. Rafa's really taken to him.

I've long been a supporter of Lucas and am so glad to see his confidence grow and his performances improve. Every interview he gives shows that his attitude is spot on. I hope he starts winning the crowd over and that the shameful booing be relegated to a distant memory.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: August 21, 2009, 04:29:15 pm »
that anger/rant headline. wonder if rafa goes to paintball game with the boys, the headline would be rafa goes postal and has a shooting rampage.
I wouldn't want to paintball with Rafa. I bet they'd all be taking the piss - 'ha, rafa we're gonna get you you porky bugger' - all in good banter.

5 minutes in...Rafa's disappeared. Suddenly, bright paint splatter, right between Gerrard's eyes. The squad looks around, confused. A couple of the younger players make a break for cover BOOM! Paint grenade takes 'em both out. There's a rustle in the trees, they fire off indiscriminately as a hint of a shadow makes a few leaves tremble - it's no good, it's like trying to shoot fucking predator.

Bang! Another splatter, Carra, right between the eyes, Torres holds him, going 'Noooo!' as Carra says...'leave me, la, you've...got...to....live.........live..............for...................'

'NOOOOOOOOO!!' Bawls Torres, wiping a tear from his eye. He looks around, renewed determination in his eyes. Meanwhile, a rustle in the bushes, Skrtel and Benny turn and shoot - hitting each other in the crossfire. Another 3 well placed paint grenades take out our midfield, wide men, and a number of assorted youths.

Eventually, it's just Torres left, going postal, shooting into the bushes:

"Damn you Rafael Benitez, Damn you to hell. You come out, you come out now and FIGHT LIKE A MAN! EIJO DE PUTA!!!"

Quietly, you hear the sound of a match being struck. Calmly, paint-gun held aloft, Rafa emerges from behind a tree, smiling in George Peppard style with a fat, freshly lit cuban cigar in his mouth. He takes it out, looks at it, blows on the end a bit then puts it back in, taking a deep, satisfying puff.

Torres shoots, misses. Rafa's smile gets broader as he walks towards Torres, sweating, terrified Torres, taking a slow, long aim. 'This is it' thinks Torres. 'Click' goes Rafa's paint rifle - it's empty. Torres face lights up with relief, until he sees Rafa, still smiling. Still slowly advancing. He takes another shot, misses again. 'Click' goes Rafa's rifle once more. Torres takes another shot, and another - he just can't hit, Rafa's aura seems to deflect the bullets, it's like Hannibal with those pigs, Torres is practically going out of his mind.

Rafa takes a last step, his rifle to Torres forehead now. A final 'click'.

Rafa laughs, lowers the gun. Takes out his cigar again, and with an air of contemplation, calmly flicks it somewhere behind Torres. Torres can't move now - he's like a shrew caught in the gaze of a cobra.

Rafa gives him a friendly smile, a conspiratorial wink. Reaches slowly into his pocket, pulling out one last paint bullet. He holds it up between the two mens eyes like a precious jewel, then, with a final laugh, he flicks it contemptuously, again, right between Torres eyes.

As the paint mingles with Torres tears as he sags kneeling to the floor, weeping for the horror of man's inhumanity to man, Rafa turns around, hoists the rifle over his shoulder, lighting another cigar, one handed, striking the match over his chin stubble.

Never looking back, Rafa walks slowly into the forest, seeming to merge with it as he disappears into the undergrowth, like a ghost.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #1303 on: August 21, 2009, 04:31:45 pm »
I'm loving this from Rafa, by the way. He's really letting rip with both barrels.

Me too. He's not going to tolerate any shit and is going to attack and defend his players from gobshites wherever they come from. He's in a fighting mood this season Rafa is.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #1304 on: August 21, 2009, 04:38:37 pm »
I wouldn't want to paintball with Rafa. I bet they'd all be taking the piss - 'ha, rafa we're gonna get you you porky bugger' - all in good banter.

5 minutes in...Rafa's disappeared. Suddenly, bright paint splatter, right between Gerrard's eyes. The squad looks around, confused. A couple of the younger players make a break for cover BOOM! Paint grenade takes 'em both out. There's a rustle in the trees, they fire off indiscriminately as a hint of a shadow makes a few leaves tremble - it's no good, it's like trying to shoot fucking predator.

Bang! Another splatter, Carra, right between the eyes, Torres holds him, going 'Noooo!' as Carra says...'leave me, la, you've...got...to....live.........live..............for...................'

'NOOOOOOOOO!!' Bawls Torres, wiping a tear from his eye. He looks around, renewed determination in his eyes. Meanwhile, a rustle in the bushes, Skrtel and Benny turn and shoot - hitting each other in the crossfire. Another 3 well placed paint grenades take out our midfield, wide men, and a number of assorted youths.

"Damn you Rafael Benitez, Damn you to hell. You come out, you come out now and FIGHT LIKE A MAN! EIJO DE PUTA!!!"

Quietly, you hear the sound of a match being struck. Calmly, paint-gun held aloft, Rafa emerges from behind a tree, smiling in George Peppard style with a fat, freshly lit cuban cigar in his mouth. He takes it out, looks at it, blows on the end a bit then puts it back in, taking a deep, satisfying puff.

Torres shoots, misses. Rafa's smile gets broader as he walks towards Torres, sweating, terrified Torres, taking a slow, long aim. 'This is it' thinks Torres. 'Click' goes Rafa's paint rifle - it's empty. Torres face lights up with relief, until he sees Rafa, still smiling. Still slowly advancing. He takes another shot, misses again. 'Click' goes Rafa's rifle once more. Torres takes another shot, and another - he just can't hit, Rafa's aura seems to deflect the bullets, it's like Hannibal with those pigs, Torres is practically going out of his mind.

Rafa laughs, lowers the gun. Takes out his cigar again, and with an air of contemplation, calmly flicks it somewhere behind Torres. Torres can't move now - he's like a shrew caught in the gaze of a cobra.

Rafa gives him a friendly smile, a conspiratorial wink. Reaches slowly into his pocket, pulling out one last paint bullet. He holds it up between the two mens eyes like a precious jewel, then, with a final laugh, he flicks it contemptuously, again, right between Torres eyes.

As the paint mingles with Torres tears as he sags kneeling to the floor, weeping for the horror of man's inhumanity to man, Rafa turns around, hoists the rifle over his shoulder, lighting another cigar, one handed, striking the match over his chin stubble.

Never looking back, Rafa walks slowly into the forest, seeming to merge with it as he disappears into the undergrowth, like a ghost.

haha. Superb piece of improvisation but you've changed Rafa the strategian of war into Rafa the bloodthirsty sadist.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: August 21, 2009, 04:40:44 pm »
haha. Superb piece of improvisation but you've changed Rafa the strategian of war into Rafa the bloodthirsty sadist.
Naaaah.

He's just letting them know who's boss ;)

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #1306 on: August 21, 2009, 05:01:51 pm »

Right?

Rant has now become synonymous with Rafa. I suppose it's not too surprising, given the lack of imagination from the "press" these days.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #1307 on: August 21, 2009, 05:06:18 pm »
I hope he has a good game with them and goes to the World cup...all in an injury free-confidence boosting way
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline macca888

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1308 on: August 21, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »

:lmao

I'd have been proud if this had been one of mine! Good stuff mate   :D
Macca resplendent!

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #1309 on: August 21, 2009, 06:05:01 pm »

hahhahaa :D

wonder if sotiris joins he'll take a bowie knife and slash himself.
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: August 22, 2009, 01:17:19 am »
I just feel the Lucas/Masch partnership offers more than the Alonso/Masch partnership..

Really?

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1311 on: August 22, 2009, 01:17:52 am »

I think this happened.

Offline ssa

• Kemlynite
  • Watch the hair!!
« Reply #1312 on: August 22, 2009, 01:39:51 am »
Given the uncertainty about Acquilani's injury, we've got to get behind Lucas..... he's got more to offer than he's shown so far.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Offline The Finn

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1313 on: August 22, 2009, 01:51:00 am »
I've never seen Rafa defend a player so vociferously in his entire time here, has to make Lucas feel 10 feet tall. Not a good man manager eh?

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #1314 on: August 22, 2009, 01:53:45 am »
Really?

In the final 3rd it definitely does.

Actually getting to the final 3rd - Alonso is unbeatable in that regard.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline MonTheKuyt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1315 on: August 22, 2009, 02:02:01 am »
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and I will show that in the following, well prepared statement;
"Lucas is pyarr ledge init, like da way he keeps and passes da ball n shit."

In all honesty he's by far my favorite player since Kuyt no longer needed my one man support, and he'd sooner turn me gay than Torres. (too much information? possibly)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #1316 on: August 22, 2009, 02:07:01 am »
Really?
Well, Alonso's gone now because he wanted to, so yeah?

Offline GinuWhine

• Kopite
« Reply #1317 on: August 22, 2009, 06:08:13 am »

Rafael Benitez has hit out at Lucas Leiva’s critics following the young Liverpool midfielder’s call-up for Brazil’s forthcoming World Cup qualifiers.

The Reds chief has become increasingly annoyed at media pundits’ criticism of the 22-year-old, and has suggested he is an easy target compared to senior stars.

Lucas was again singled out after the opening Barclays Premier League defeat at Tottenham last weekend, but responded with a fine display in the midweek victory over Stoke.

Benitez said: "Lucas has a very good mentality. But for someone of his age to suffer such criticism from the experts on TV is wrong.

"He is so good but still he was criticised. I do not understand why they do not criticise other players, more senior players, when they do not play well.

"He is an easy target and maybe they are not brave enough to criticise the bigger players here."

"Against Stoke he again showed his quality. He has a very good mentality. He can tackle, win headers and pass the ball. He will make mistakes like anyone, but he is and will be a very good player.

"I was really pleased for Lucas, in particular, after the win against Stoke and his performance.

"I have been really surprised at the amount of criticism he has had to cope with from the pundits, the so-called experts.

"Lucas is still a young player but he has experience. And after the display against Stoke everyone can see, even the so-called experts on TV pundit panels, can see he is a very good player.

"Hopefully they will now stop using him as a target. He is a very good lad, an excellent professional. I find it hard to understand that if you are an expert on TV, you cannot see these things."

Lucas will be in Liverpool’s midfield on Monday for the home game with Aston Villa, and he has earned a call-up for Brazil for their crucial World Cup ties against Javier Mascherano’s Argentina and Chile next month.

He could now earn his fourth international cap against his club mate when Brazil face Argentina on September 5, before heading to Salvador to play Chile four days later.

Lucas has responded to his critics, saying: "Back in Brazil everything seemed to progress perfectly for me. I played well, scored goals and won titles.

"Since I have moved to Liverpool, I’ve had some difficult moments. However, those experiences can help me. They have made me mentally stronger.

"I have done plenty of work in pre-season, I am better able to cope with the physical side of the game here. I will be able to get forward more and I believe I can have a good season.

"I have confidence in myself - you need that in life, not just football. So no matter what, I believe in myself and the manager does too."

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/08/21/rafa-benitez-anger-at-lucas-leiva-s-critics-liverpool-fc-latest-92534-24500553/

Looks like some of our "weak" fans that just follow the pundits are also being shown up by Rafa. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when Liverpool fans, who are considered to be among the more intelligent of supporters in footballing knowledge, go with the pack and the "consensus" media view regarding Lucas, rather than observing his talents for themselves. For those that continue to downplay his talents and believe that Rafa simply having trust in the lad isn't enough, you are sad supporters. And if you feel that, after observing his talents without bias, you still reach the same view, then unfortunately football isn't one of your strong points.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:11:08 am by GinuWine »

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #1318 on: August 22, 2009, 07:01:39 am »

So you'd prefer they play very average and not get selected for their national team?

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1319 on: August 22, 2009, 10:10:12 am »
Looks like some of our "weak" fans that just follow the pundits are also being shown up by Rafa. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when Liverpool fans, who are considered to be among the more intelligent of supporters in footballing knowledge, go with the pack and the "consensus" media view regarding Lucas, rather than observing his talents for themselves. For those that continue to downplay his talents and believe that Rafa simply having trust in the lad isn't enough, you are sad supporters. And if you feel that, after observing his talents without bias, you still reach the same view, then unfortunately football isn't one of your strong points.
I love that quote from Rafa. I couldn't have written it better myself. He does get targetted by experts quite simply because they are not experts and are just band-wagon jumping bullies. I've said it before, if Lucas and Gerrard have exactly the same game and we lose, Lucas will be responsible for the defeat and Gerrard will have been dragged down by his team-mates !