Author Topic: Anime Anyone?  (Read 81643 times)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
Re: Anime Anyone?
« Reply #720 on: May 4, 2023, 06:59:25 pm »
I doubt anyone in here has watched "Ace of Diamond," as it probably requires at least some small interest in baseball to really get into, but I am really in a bind. I have five episodes of the third (and last, so far) series left to watch, and it is going to end in the middle of everything. I know the manga went on for at least three years (and probably more) after the events depicted to this point. Because I'm desperate to avoid spoilers, I asked a friend yesterday to look on the internet and see if there were more series coming - this one ended in 2019 - but he couldn't find anything.

Do any of you have any idea if there is somewhere deeper to look than a basic search? I know that sounds daft, but I can't believe they would just end it like this. It has been a popular manga and I think it has won awards. I just thought maybe someone would know something that I am not aware of when it comes to finding these things out.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #721 on: May 4, 2023, 11:37:18 pm »
From what I can tell the anime caught up to the manga in 2019, it also has 50 odd episode seasons so they probably had to wait a while for the manga to get ahead again. I’d imagine they have enough content now though.

People on reddit seem to think that there will eventually be a new season because it’s super popular in Japan.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: May 5, 2023, 01:51:19 am »
From what I can tell the anime caught up to the manga in 2019, it also has 50 odd episode seasons so they probably had to wait a while for the manga to get ahead again. I’d imagine they have enough content now though.

People on reddit seem to think that there will eventually be a new season because it’s super popular in Japan.

Great news. Thanks a lot, mate, I really appreciate it.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #723 on: May 5, 2023, 06:11:48 pm »
Great news. Thanks a lot, mate, I really appreciate it.

No worries mate, I might check it out myself I've watched a few sports anime recently.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #724 on: June 25, 2023, 01:42:37 pm »
For anyone interested, would recommend Vinland Saga. The 1st season was batshit crazy and the second one a slow burn, but one which sets things up very very nicely.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #725 on: August 27, 2023, 12:05:22 am »
I didn't particularly like JJK season 1, it felt kinda generic and I didn't really like most of the characters but I've gotta say I loved the movie and the start of season 2, looking forward to how it shapes out. The manga readers reckon this is the best arc.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: August 27, 2023, 02:09:42 pm »
I didn't particularly like JJK season 1, it felt kinda generic and I didn't really like most of the characters but I've gotta say I loved the movie and the start of season 2, looking forward to how it shapes out. The manga readers reckon this is the best arc.

I'm so excited to watch it. I'm waiting until s2 finishes before watching the movie and re-watching the first season.

For anyone interested, would recommend Vinland Saga. The 1st season was batshit crazy and the second one a slow burn, but one which sets things up very very nicely.

I would second this, definitely. The second season really establishes emotional depth in the characters. This is something that anime does quite well a lot of the time, but doesn't necessarily get much credit for.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 02:12:05 pm by red mongoose »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #727 on: November 6, 2023, 02:07:30 pm »
Attack on Titan really shat the bed on the final stretch didn't it.

:D

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: November 6, 2023, 02:37:20 pm »
from anime GOAT to anime GoT
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #729 on: November 6, 2023, 02:53:51 pm »
I haven’t watched it but read the manga and hated it, most of the anime fans seem to have really liked it though. I know they changed and added a few things, you guys still think it was bad?

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #730 on: November 6, 2023, 04:14:24 pm »
I've had a look at the manga since finishing the show and the changes don't fundamentally change the story, there's a few lines which are better but that's it.

I think many fans of the show are just far too forgiving or just dig the power fantasy. But for me Eren's actions or the attempted justification make absolutely no sense.

from anime GOAT to anime GoT

Right down to Eren Daenerys Targaryen.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2023, 04:16:15 pm by Kashinoda »

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #731 on: November 6, 2023, 04:49:40 pm »
Has anyone been watching Jujutsu Kaisen season 2?

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #732 on: November 6, 2023, 09:18:08 pm »
Has anyone been watching Jujutsu Kaisen season 2?

Yeah I've been watching. I didn't think S1 was anything special but I'm loving this season, I'm kinda tempted to read the manga to be honest. How are you liking it?

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: November 7, 2023, 03:27:14 pm »
There's a lot to unpack from the last 20 minutes of AoT but I liked it.

Spoiler
Eren buying his friends a lifetime of peace, Mikasa taking him down and showing Ymir she can break free of her suffering, war eventually returning and wiping out Paradis/earth, then ending with someone discovering the same tree that Ymir did and potentially bringing something back (though not necessarily Titans). It was sort of a happy ending but with a bleak reminder that war never ends.

The Yaegerist's continuing muddied the water a little, but I guess Paradis needed to build strength while the rest of the world recovered in order to better protect itself.
[close]

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #734 on: November 7, 2023, 07:01:29 pm »
There's a lot to unpack from the last 20 minutes of AoT but I liked it.

Spoiler
Eren buying his friends a lifetime of peace, Mikasa taking him down and showing Ymir she can break free of her suffering, war eventually returning and wiping out Paradis/earth, then ending with someone discovering the same tree that Ymir did and potentially bringing something back (though not necessarily Titans). It was sort of a happy ending but with a bleak reminder that war never ends.

The Yaegerist's continuing muddied the water a little, but I guess Paradis needed to build strength while the rest of the world recovered in order to better protect itself.
[close]

Spoiler
The plot works I just think the execution fell flat for me. I'm not sure why Eren needed to be 'redeemed' either, he sort of awkwardly regresses as a character and has no clue what he's doing. People point out that's the way he's always been which completely ignores his progression as a character. We're meant to believe the entire forth season is him putting on a front which just creates tons of holes.

I'd rather he simply went full 'Darth Vader', it's still narratively works and the fact he chose to kill his mother fits with this. He's the product of the world he was born into and the world should suffer from it. Largely it still ends the same but doesn't feel so contrived.

Again it's all how it's executed, it needed more time to breathe. Same can be said for the romance angle with Mikasa, I know in the world of AoT there was never any place for love even if it was there. But if we're doing flashbacky epilogue stuff then you have room to expand on that and make it feel more satisfying.

Also really hate the fake deaths of Conny and Jean, ruined what was an otherwise sad and fitting scene.
[close]

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: November 7, 2023, 08:04:15 pm »
Spoiler
The plot works I just think the execution fell flat for me. I'm not sure why Eren needed to be 'redeemed' either, he sort of awkwardly regresses as a character and has no clue what he's doing. People point out that's the way he's always been which completely ignores his progression as a character. We're meant to believe the entire forth season is him putting on a front which just creates tons of holes.

I'd rather he simply went full 'Darth Vader', it's still narratively works and the fact he chose to kill his mother fits with this. He's the product of the world he was born into and the world should suffer from it. Largely it still ends the same but doesn't feel so contrived.

Again it's all how it's executed, it needed more time to breathe. Same can be said for the romance angle with Mikasa, I know in the world of AoT there was never any place for love even if it was there. But if we're doing flashbacky epilogue stuff then you have room to expand on that and make it feel more satisfying.

Also really hate the fake deaths of Conny and Jean, ruined what was an otherwise sad and fitting scene.
[close]

Spoiler
I was okay with Eren's plan. He's always been fiercely loyal to his friends so him making them out to be heroes while also significantly weakening their enemies makes sense.

I wouldn't exactly say he was redeemed either, he committed genocide and will always be remembered as a monster, and his friends may never accept that he did the right thing. Ultimately however they couldn't stop it and so Eren explaining the situation to them just gives them closure and a chance to move on. I don't know if him putting on a front creates a lot of holes, as he pretty much just executed his plan with the knowledge that it wouldn't quite succeed, which would be far-fetched except he knew the future already and so had that to guide him.

The one bit I did find messy was his ability to effect memories, he says himself he's trapped on this path but then we see multiple examples of him changing it (pointing the Titan at his mother, telling his Dad to kill the royal family). My theory is that because time is so confusing to him, given that he experiences memories as if they're really happening, he can't tell whether he's in a position to alter a memory or whether he's stuck as an observer. I don't think it's an explanation that'll reconcile perfectly, as time travel is inevitably messy, but I think it's good enough and him being a bit of an idiot makes it make a little more sense.

I'm on the fence about the fake deaths, typically they bug me but AoT has had so many important characters die that a few surviving and having a relatively happy ending is more of a shock than them dying horribly at the final confrontation.

The romance did feel a bit tacked on I'll agree on that, they've felt more like siblings than romantic for a long time, so it was all a bit awkward and out of character for both of them.
[close]

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: November 8, 2023, 07:10:43 am »
Yeah I've been watching. I didn't think S1 was anything special but I'm loving this season, I'm kinda tempted to read the manga to be honest. How are you liking it?
I feel the exact same! I'll continue with the manga once this anime season is over. I have been reading recent chapters due to a certain incident which broke the internet (don't even Google it).

The fights this season are the best I've seen in anime for years.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: November 8, 2023, 10:18:33 am »
I'll have to pick Jujutsu Kaisen back up, first season took a long time to get going but ended really well, then IIRC there was a movie I haven't seen. Feels like one of those shows where I can't remember a single detail though so I might just start it again from scratch.

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: November 8, 2023, 06:03:03 pm »
I'll have to pick Jujutsu Kaisen back up, first season took a long time to get going but ended really well, then IIRC there was a movie I haven't seen. Feels like one of those shows where I can't remember a single detail though so I might just start it again from scratch.

The movie is a prequel to season 1. But then season 2 started out with a prequel flashback (called "Hidden Inventory") which predates the movie... so the timeline of what is animated is really messed up now.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #739 on: November 9, 2023, 11:39:54 pm »
I feel the exact same! I'll continue with the manga once this anime season is over. I have been reading recent chapters due to a certain incident which broke the internet (don't even Google it).

The fights this season are the best I've seen in anime for years.

I think I'm gonna do the same, pick up the manga when this season ends. I saw everyone on social media having a meltdown about whatever it was lol, people on reddit were sending the spoiler in dms but luckily  I've managed to avoid whatever it so far. I don't know how anime onlys avoided spoilers for AOT, I constantly came across them on twitter & youtube.

Yeah the fights have been class so far, Toji's particularly for me. I did see lots of people on twitter moaning about the animation, guess you can't make everyone happy!

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #740 on: December 27, 2023, 03:56:33 am »
I'm so excited to watch it. I'm waiting until s2 finishes before watching the movie and re-watching the first season.

I would second this, definitely. The second season really establishes emotional depth in the characters. This is something that anime does quite well a lot of the time, but doesn't necessarily get much credit for.

Season 2 finishes in a couple of days, you're in for a treat mate!

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: December 27, 2023, 04:28:59 am »
After the Sukuna vs Jogo fight in Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 I ended up reading all the manga. Their fight and clash of ideals created sparks in my brain that I hadn't had for a while.

I would say the Shibuya arc has some epic weight to it and great character moments. But the arc coming after this (maybe another 12-18 months away from being animated?) has the best fights. It should bring good feelings to fans that the series is going to get even better.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #742 on: December 27, 2023, 04:45:44 am »
After the Sukuna vs Jogo fight in Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 I ended up reading all the manga. Their fight and clash of ideals created sparks in my brain that I hadn't had for a while.

I would say the Shibuya arc has some epic weight to it and great character moments. But the arc coming after this (maybe another 12-18 months away from being animated?) has the best fights. It should bring good feelings to fans that the series is going to get even better.

I've just started reading from the beginning, I can't wait years to see what happens and I know something big happens because the internet went wild! I have started the manga before and watched season 1 but didn't really like it till the movie and the prequel start of season 2, now I'm dying to see what happens!

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: December 27, 2023, 08:25:47 am »
AOT really shat the bed at the end huh.  :( Checking back, post time skip story was going downhill, just couldn't see it before.

GOT was extremely disappointing, but at least there is a chance GRRM finishes the books and we get a satisfying conclusion. There is no redeeming this one.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: December 27, 2023, 12:54:04 pm »
For anyone who watches one piece. I can't wait for the latest manga arc to be animated. Shaping up to be one of the best in the series.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: December 27, 2023, 11:38:41 pm »
For anyone who watches one piece. I can't wait for the latest manga arc to be animated. Shaping up to be one of the best in the series.

You scared me for a minute there, mate - I'm dead allergic to spoilers  ;D I just finished the Wano Arc, about three episodes from caught up.

Did you hear about the new anime series they are doing? It sounds like it will just be improved artwork, maybe some trimming of filler. They didn't know whether the same voice actors would do the new one, but I'd hope so.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: December 28, 2023, 07:31:41 am »
You scared me for a minute there, mate - I'm dead allergic to spoilers  ;D I just finished the Wano Arc, about three episodes from caught up.

Did you hear about the new anime series they are doing? It sounds like it will just be improved artwork, maybe some trimming of filler. They didn't know whether the same voice actors would do the new one, but I'd hope so.

Hahaha wouldn't do that. But yeah seen they are reanimating. I'll give one piece it's due tho, it's not bad for filler, especially compared to other anime. Wano however along with maybe some of whole cake was appalling for pacing. I'm hoping if they reanimate they eventually do the lot and deal with the pacing issue later on
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 09:14:25 am by macca007 »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #747 on: January 5, 2024, 03:20:55 pm »
AOT really shat the bed at the end huh.  :( Checking back, post time skip story was going downhill, just couldn't see it before.

GOT was extremely disappointing, but at least there is a chance GRRM finishes the books and we get a satisfying conclusion. There is no redeeming this one.

There's always the Requiem

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BOvqeVfON3A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BOvqeVfON3A</a>

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: January 7, 2024, 05:47:01 am »
There's always the Requiem

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BOvqeVfON3A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BOvqeVfON3A</a>
Whats this now? Looks promising! :wave

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #749 on: January 7, 2024, 06:04:28 am »
Alternete ending, based on the Requium manga:

https://www.aotnorequiem.com/chapter/aot-no-requiem/part-1/

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: January 7, 2024, 11:21:58 am »
Alternete ending, based on the Requium manga:

https://www.aotnorequiem.com/chapter/aot-no-requiem/part-1/
Looks promising. Going to follow this and see where this leads. Thank you. :wave

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: January 7, 2024, 02:11:23 pm »
Couple interesting shows debuted this week that I thought would be worth a mention

First up, Solo Leveling (Ore dake Level Up na Ken), the long awaited adaptation of the super popular Korean manhwa, just aired its first episode. During lockdown I got waaaaay into manhwas with SL being my intial entry series, and while the story is fairly straight forward the artwork always made it one of the more anticipated releases, absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully this improves upon the story and also opens the door for more manhwa adaptations, sucks Korea doesn't have it's own anime industry as there's a ton of great stuff out there. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n24l9gvM3XM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n24l9gvM3XM</a>

Other show worth mentioning is Delicious in Dungeon, or Dungeon Meshi, I haven't checked this out yet but I know the manga was pretty well regarded. With Trigger producing I'll definitely check it out sooner or later.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U3veqJewdto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U3veqJewdto</a>

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #752 on: January 9, 2024, 11:37:02 am »
The final part of AoT was nowhere near as bad as I'd been led to fear.

Had to spend a bit of time afterwards putting stuff together in my head (my daughters, who'd already read the manga and watched the subtitled release months ago, helped me)

Incidentally, they both have said previously that they enjoy subtitled as much as the dubbed. But both couldn't believe how much better - and clearer in terms of being able to understand what was going on - the dubbed was here.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: January 18, 2024, 10:36:07 am »
I still don't get why anyone involved in netflix thinks its a good idea to start one piece on the brand new episodes over 1000 from the fucking start. Luckily I'm caught up but fuck me

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: January 23, 2024, 07:07:51 pm »
I still don't get why anyone involved in netflix thinks its a good idea to start one piece on the brand new episodes over 1000 from the fucking start. Luckily I'm caught up but fuck me

I read that they are starting with East Blue - did you see something different? Or do you mean the live-action show, which I haven't watched.

I did get caught up with Jujutsu Kaisen. I'd recommend it very, very highly if you haven't seen it (though I think everyone has).

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #755 on: January 23, 2024, 08:28:37 pm »
Just watched first episode of One Punch Man with daughter and I'm in bits. Hilarious 😂

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: January 24, 2024, 07:35:29 am »
I read that they are starting with East Blue - did you see something different? Or do you mean the live-action show, which I haven't watched.

I did get caught up with Jujutsu Kaisen. I'd recommend it very, very highly if you haven't seen it (though I think everyone has).

Uk netflix has just got the anime. Think the only thing pre this, other than the live action, is one of the films.

So for the anime they have started with episode 1089. The latest arc...

Why would they think that's a good idea. Fine for me as I'd just caught up again, but defo not for the majority

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #757 on: January 24, 2024, 10:27:00 am »
Couple interesting shows debuted this week that I thought would be worth a mention

First up, Solo Leveling (Ore dake Level Up na Ken), the long awaited adaptation of the super popular Korean manhwa, just aired its first episode. During lockdown I got waaaaay into manhwas with SL being my intial entry series, and while the story is fairly straight forward the artwork always made it one of the more anticipated releases, absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully this improves upon the story and also opens the door for more manhwa adaptations, sucks Korea doesn't have it's own anime industry as there's a ton of great stuff out there. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n24l9gvM3XM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n24l9gvM3XM</a>

Solo Leveling seems great so far, have watched the first two episodes and they were very good and accurate to the Manhwa. Animation and voice work was excellent.

I am also watching the new season of Classroom of the Elite and Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata (The Wrong Way to use Healing Magic) which looks like it will be excellent as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:29:40 am by PhilV »

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: February 9, 2024, 04:17:59 pm »
Yeah Solo Leveling took 3-4 eps to get going but I'm enjoying it now and slowly getting into it.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #759 on: February 11, 2024, 12:29:20 am »
Anyone watched Frieren? I read the first part of the manga when it came out and have recently caught up to the anime and it's as brilliant as everyone says. Such great worldbuilding and storytelling, highly recommended!