Author Topic: Universal Credit and the crimes of it...  (Read 23725 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Universal Credit and the crimes of it...
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2019, 10:11:32 am »
The Trussell Trust food bank network said the minimum 35-day wait for payment endured by claimants after signing on to universal credit could have a rapid, devastating and long-lasting impact on their finances, housing security and mental health.

Claimants unable to cope without income during the waiting period faced destitution, Trussell said. They were unable to afford food, frequently went without meals, failed to pay utility bills, ran up rent arrears and risked eviction.

Food bank use had soared by a third in areas where universal credit had operated for a year, it said, drawing on data from 414 food banks. Demand for food parcels increased by 40% where universal credit had been in place for at least 18 months, and 48% where it had been established for at least two years.

Government measures to mitigate the negative effects of the five-week wait were either limited or failing, Trussell said. Repayable advance loans issued to claimants to tide them over simply created long-term difficulties for claimants as they paid them back, in effect leaving them “deciding between hardship now or later”.

The design of universal credit built in a six-week waiting time for a first payment – later reduced to five weeks – to put claimants on to a monthly-in-arrears payment cycle, paid electronically, ostensibly to reflect the world of work. The benefits it replaces typically had a 15-day wait for payment.

However, the designers seemingly failed to recognise that substantial numbers of claimants were used to one or two-week payment cycles, and few had sufficient savings to tide them over a lengthy period without income, making their transition to the new benefit an often traumatic struggle.

Guardian

This is just the tip, of course, with a whole lot of other things based in the same thinking getting little to no coverage. eg parents needing to find childcare costs upfront - penalised for not taking a job, unable to afford the childcare to take the job...
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2019, 01:04:32 pm »
I was in Bootle this morning and someone has given the Job Centre on Stanley road a new paint job.

Checked the Echo website and the story is here -

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/we-not-submit-merseysides-powerful-16912617

My god, all those comments you get on this topic.

Nasty, vile and ignorant, in full display

Genuinely depressing. Especially if you believe they're local people who should be more than aware of the massively stupid stigma on not having a job

But also heartening to see people fighting the good fight  :)

If you ask me, there's a real battle in convincing the voters of the crimes or even basic unsuitability of UC. The system. Itself and rotten government are one thing. But some people really do hate the benefit system with a 'fuck you, got mine' mentality. Because of slurs they believe. And these people vote.

In my new job I'm having fun though - totally heart on sleeve about what UC did, but I'm fucking going for it, and fit zero stereotype. People listen. Stereotypes and labels are never the full story
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 01:13:51 pm by ToneLa »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2019, 10:14:27 am »
Dear God, this is frightening and depressing. In a nutshell:

The DWP believes welfare transactions could be handled more quickly, accurately and cheaply using robotic process automation and is developing it for use in UC.

But claimants have warned the existing automation in UC’s “digital by default” system has already driven some to hunger, breakdown and even attempted suicide. One described the online process as a “Kafka-like carousel”, another as “hostile” and yet another as a “form of torture”. Several said civil servants already appeared to be ruled by computer algorithms, unable to contradict their verdicts.

[...]Frank Field, chairman of the Commons work and pensions select committee, warned that vulnerable claimants “will be left at the mercy of online systems that, even now, leave all too many people teetering on the brink of destitution”.

“We’ve already seen, in the gig economy, how workers are managed and sacked, not by people, but by algorithms,” he said. “Now the welfare state looks set to follow suit, with the ‘social’ human element being stripped away from ‘social security’.”

Key details about the automation push remain secret. The DWP has refused freedom of information requests to explain how it gathers data on citizens.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/14/fears-rise-in-benefits-system-automation-could-plunge-claimants-deeper-into-poverty
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:15:59 am by No666 »

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2019, 12:48:47 pm »
I know this probably isn't the right place to post this but I will anyway....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50107320

Fuckers like these get away with it. (yes I am aware that there have been arrests but there should have been a lot more).
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 2, 2020, 09:45:04 pm »
Universal Credit: DWP loses Court of Appeal battle against claimants with severe disabilities

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has lost its legal fight against Universal Credit claimants with severe disabilities in the Court of Appeal.

Judges on Wednesday dismissed the Government's appeal against two High Court judgments which found the DWP Secretary had unlawfully discriminated against thousands of severely disabled people by slashing their benefit top-ups worth £180 a month.

Tessa Gregory of Leigh Day, the law firm that represented the two men involved in the legal battle, said the ruling "should be a wake-up call for the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions".

“The Government states that Universal Credit is protecting the most vulnerable but that has not been the experience of our clients who faced a dramatic reduction in their monthly income when they moved onto the new benefits system and, when that was found to be unlawful. were offered a monthly top-up which didn’t even cover half of that loss."

Disability equality charity Scope said the ruling showed Universal Credit was "in desperate need of an overhaul".

The case involved two men, known only as TP and AR, who received the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) and Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP) under the legacy benefits system to cover the extra living costs they faced as a result of having severe disabilities.

However when they moved home to a new local authority area, they were put on Universal Credit and found their benefit income had reduced.

TP, a 54-year-old man with terminal non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and AR, a 38-year-old man who suffers from severe mental health issues, both received around £180 a month less as a result of moving on to the scheme.

The premiums are not available under Universal Credit if claimants are moved over to the new system through natural migration - when a change in circumstance results in a new benefits claim - rather than managed migration, which offers transitional protection for benefits and therefore honours the premiums. It is believed that 13,000 people with severe disabilities have been left worse off after moving to Universal Credit.

TP and AR launched legal action against the DWP over the premiums. In June 2018, the High Court found that the way the scheme was implemented was unlawfully discriminatory because it treated a person who moved to another local authority less favourably than those who moved within their local authority.

Mr Justice Lewis later ruled that the two men were entitled to receive thousands of pounds in compensation for past financial losses, as well as for mental suffering, distress and anxiety.

The DWP subsequently tried to ensure people with severe disabilities would only be moved to Universal Credit through managed migration, which would protect their premiums, and offered compensation to those already affected. However the rate of recompense was just £80 a month - significantly less than the amount lost.

Along with a third claimant, the two men then won a second High Court battle in May 2019 after complaining that the reduced level of benefit was discriminatory.

The DWP sought to appeal both judgments but increased the top-up payments to £120 per month, which is also expected to be challenged through the courts.

On Wednesday, Sir Terence Etherton, the Master of the Rolls, Lord Justice Singh and Lady Justice Rose dismissed the Government's appeals and found that the High Court was not wrong to hold that the discrimination was unjustified and unlawful.

The judges said: "We emphasise again that in these appeals we are concerned only with the position of the respondents and those in a similar position to them. These appeals do not concern the validity of the UC scheme as a whole."

Ms Gregory said she hoped the Government would not waste more time or resources fighting the ruling. She called on ministers to protect "acutely vulnerable" claimants and overhaul Universal Credit "to make it fit for purpose".

AR said: “We hope that the Court of Appeal ruling will finally bring an end to our fight for severely disabled people not to be disadvantaged by Universal Credit. It is still so shocking to us that we have had to fight so long and so hard just to get the government to see that their policy is unfair.”

James Taylor, head of policy and campaigns at Scope, told i the charity had heard from disabled people who were clear that losing the "vital" premiums could have "disastrous effects on their finances and lives".

“We’re calling on the Government to reinstate disability premiums and make Universal Credit work for disabled people," he added.

The DWP said: “We will continue to make transitional payments to those previously receiving the Severe Disability Premium where eligible, and have already paid £51.5m to more than 15,000 people. We are carefully considering this judgment.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/universal-credit-dwp-court-of-appeal-case-result-disabilities-claimants-1379536

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #125 on: February 2, 2020, 10:01:59 pm »
Think it's wrong to remove SDP from future claimants to start with, not least because it's now such a core part of many disabled people's ability to get by - and no local councils aren't going to provide services to replace it (lul IDS) - but they're caning SDP during transitional protection anyway by letting inflation eat away at its value.

Got the big transfer to go, and been holding off moving because of the problems of 'change of circumstances', sometime this year if the government are feeling 80 MPs majority brave to do it. Kind of fascinated to see how it plays out when a sizeable contingent of Tory MPs are getting postbags and surgeries like the former Labour MPs in those seats got.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #126 on: February 3, 2020, 06:44:32 pm »
Curious. Come out via the civil servant in charge being filmed in September rather than the government saying it.

Full rollout of universal credit, the government's flagship welfare reform, is being delayed again, adding £500m to its overall cost, the BBC has learned.

Officials say not enough people are moving to the benefit as they are "scared" to move to universal credit.

The system was meant to be fully live by April 2017, but the new delay will push it back to September 2024.

Neil Couling, the senior civil servant in charge of the rollout for the past five years, is filmed telling a Whitehall meeting: "We've got a lot of anecdotal evidence of people being scared to come to universal credit.

"It's a potentially serious issue for us, in terms of completing the project by December 2023, but I'm urging people not to panic."

But a few weeks later, in September 2019, he decides to delay full rollout to September 2024, putting £500m on the bill.

"Three, six or nine months, it doesn't matter - the headline will be: 'Delay, disaster'," he says

"I would say, 'Go safe, put the claimants first, and I'll take the beating.'"

Thing to always keep in mind is that Universal Credit is a small benefit (in theoretical cash terms - in how it's delivered, well...) to half the people who'll be on it. The other half (most especially single mums and disabled people) get a kicking to fund it though. And it's already going to be more expensive than the system it's replacing.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2020, 03:56:27 am »
Michael Marmot has gone back and reviewed the evidence of the last 10 years to see what's happened in society, and basically come back with, "What the fuck have you been doing? Things have got worse." On Universal Credit itself,

Since 2010 there have been widespread changes to the tax and benefit system, notably the introduction of Universal Credit. The implementation of Universal Credit has pushed many people further into poverty and debt, particularly through delays in being awarded credit. Overall the tax and benefit reforms in England between 2015 and 2017 were regressive.

Analysis shows negative impacts of benefit reform for the poorest 50 percent in the UK with the poorest 20 percent experiencing the most negative impacts. Meanwhile, the benefit changes were positive for the top 40 percent, which, combined with tax reforms have been beneficial to the top 30 percent in particular.

Meanwhile the average effect of all forms of direct and indirect taxes on the bottom income decile is to take away 44 percent of gross income (which includes both earned income and direct cash benefits). The corresponding figure in the top decile is 34 percent. That is to say effective tax rates are higher in the bottom decile than in the top decile which means that the tax system is also regressive.

Tax revenues in the UK are below the OECD average. In 2018 the British Social Attitudes survey found 60 percent of the UK public were in favour of the Government increasing tax to spend more, an increase from 49 percent of the public who responded in this way in 2016 and 31 percent in 2010.

p.27 of the Executive Review. http://www.instituteofhealthequity.org/resources-reports/marmot-review-10-years-on

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2020, 04:36:25 pm »
'Judge me fairly': man who starved to death's plea to welfare officials

Errol Graham, a desperately ill man who died of starvation when his benefits were cut off, wrote a moving letter pleading with welfare officials to “judge me fairly” because he was overwhelmed by depression.

The handwritten letter, seen by the Guardian, was released by Graham’s family as they launched a legal attempt to prove that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) acted unlawfully and put him at risk by failing to put in place effective safeguards to protect vulnerable benefit claimants.

His relatives say Graham’s letter is a heartfelt and humble attempt to describe the agony of his long-standing mental illness, which left him frequently lonely, cold and hungry. It was never sent, but was discovered in his flat by his family after he died, aged 57, in June 2018.

The letter describes how illness turned Graham, a keen footballer in his younger days and a doting grandfather, into a withdrawn and anxious person for whom daily life became a torment. “On a good day I open my curtains, but mostly they stay shut,” he wrote. “I find it hard to leave the house on bad days. I don’t want to see anyone or talk to anyone. It’s not nice living this way.”

His family’s legal action piles fresh pressure on the the government, which is already facing demands from MPs and campaigners to launch a public inquiry into benefit-related deaths amid concerns that hundreds of vulnerable people may have died in recent years after their payments were stopped.

Alison Turner, Graham’s daughter-in-law, said: “The government owes it to Errol, his family and the country to explain why the DWP has failed repeatedly to learn from these tragedies over many years. We need an independent public inquiry.”

A pre-action letter from lawyers for Graham’s family has been sent to the work and pensions secretary, Thérèse Coffey. It says that although the DWP knew Graham was highly vulnerable, it failed to take reasonable steps to obtain evidence that his health had improved before removing his only source of income because he had failed to turn up to an appointment.

“In consequence there was a real risk, of which the DWP knew or ought to have known, that terminating his benefits would put him in serious danger. The decision to terminate [his benefits] deprived him of the means to live, and led to him slowly starving to death. It caused him inhuman and degrading suffering,” the pre-action letter says.

Although the DWP was aware many vulnerable claimants had died after their benefits were withdrawn, it had failed to identify and correct flaws in its safeguarding guidance to staff, the letter adds. “Over 20 months on from Mr Graham’s death (and nine months on from the inquest) … decisions carrying a risk of death continue to be made based on scant and insufficient information.”

A National Audit Office report published this month found the DWP had investigated at least 69 suicides linked to benefits problems since 2014 although the true figure is likely to be much higher. It said that despite this there was no evidence the DWP had learned from its reviews or improved its processes.

In Graham’s note, which is believed to have been prepared for his DWP assessor, he describes how his illness had made him reclusive. He believed no one would understand his illness and was terrified that DWP officials might rule he was fit for work.

“Sometimes I can’t stand to even hear the washing machine, and I wish I knew why,” he wrote. “Being locked away in my flat I feel that I don’t have to face anyone, at the same time it drives me insane. I think I feel more secure on my own with my own company, but wish it wasn’t like that.”

He adds: “All I want in life is to live normally, that would be the answer to my prayers.”

Graham’s emaciated body, weighing just 28kg (62lb), was discovered by bailiffs sent to evict him eight months after all his benefits were stopped because of his failure to attend a fitness for work assessment. His Nottingham flat had no gas or electricity supply and no food apart from two out of date tins of fish.

His family argue Graham would be still alive had the DWP, which flagged him up on their systems as highly vulnerable, taken more care of a man it was aware had a history of severe depression and anxiety, self-harm and suicide attempts.

Officials failed to take reasonable steps to establish the state of his health before taking the drastic decision to remove his benefits, they argue. Having done that they in effect washed their hands of him without bothering to contact family, police or Graham’s GP to explain what had happened, they say.

The letter to Coffey by the family’s lawyers, Leigh Day, says: “Terminating benefits is a momentous decision which will often deprive the claimant of the means to survive. It is obvious that withdrawing benefits for a vulnerable claimant who has no other means to live may lead to his/her death.”

The DWP argued at Graham’s inquest last June that it had followed its processes and policies to the letter, according to a transcript seen by the Guardian. An official told the court it had done “the maximum” to try to contact Graham before stopping his benefits.

It said it had written to Graham to ask why he had not attended the assessment, made three unanswered phone calls and texts, and made two “safeguarding” visits to his flat on successive days, which elicited no response; having failed to make contact with Graham it had fulfilled its duties and stopped his benefits.

Asked by the coroner whether this was a reasonable decision to take about someone it knew to have a long history of serious mental illness, the DWP official replied: “I think at the time with what we had, yes, it was unfortunately sad, but the right decision … for us to have made.”

Tessa Gregory, of Leigh Day, said it was alarming that this was DWP safeguarding at its best. “This isn’t a case about DWP officials who made one-off mistakes, it is a case about a government department whose policies and systems are tragically and systematically failing the vulnerable people they are meant to protect.”

The pre-action letter said DWP policy and guidance was in breach of its duties under the Equality Act, which requires it to make reasonable adjustments to ensure vulnerable and disabled claimants are not disadvantaged by its rules and regulations.

The DWP has been approached for comment. In January, a DWP spokesperson said: “This is a tragic, complex case and our sympathies are with Mr Graham’s family.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/27/errol-graham-man-starved-death-benefits-cut-letter-welfare-officials

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2020, 01:56:51 am »
Thousands of depression cases 'linked to universal credit'

A study has linked a spike in mental-health problems among the unemployed with the rollout of universal credit and other government welfare changes.

The number of unemployed people with psychological distress rose 6.6% between 2013 and 2018, it suggests.

And this represents an extra 63,674 people in England, Wales and Scotland - 21,760 of whom became clinically depressed over the period.

The government highlighted the study found no causal link.

Prof Dame Margaret Whitehead, of the University of Liverpool, who co-authored the Lancet Public Health Journal study, said it had found "observational associations" rather than "cause and effect".

The spike in mental-health cases could also have been influenced by the broader range of welfare changes, she said.

But the study added to the "mounting evidence of substantial mental-health harms related to universal credit".

And it was crucial the government conducted robust health-impact assessments of all welfare changes, including universal credit.

The researchers found no links to any impact on physical health, however, or any evidence universal credit had led to an increase in the number of claimants finding jobs.

The researchers followed more than 52,000 working-age people between 2009 and 2018, who were taking part in Understanding Society, the UK Household Longitudinal Study.

A Department for Work and Pensions spokesman said: "People coming into the job centre are often doing so at a difficult time in their lives and there is a range of support available for those with mental-health conditions."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51664792

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2020, 12:25:54 pm »
The most depressing thing about UC right now might be the fact the trial areas like I was in, exposed all this... you could see all this coming

I mean, this shows what we're dealing with: the trials went wrong, but they didn't fix the system - making the trial pointless. Why test something if you disregarded the results?

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2020, 01:02:46 pm »
The most depressing thing about UC right now might be the fact the trial areas like I was in, exposed all this... you could see all this coming

I mean, this shows what we're dealing with: the trials went wrong, but they didn't fix the system - making the trial pointless. Why test something if you disregarded the results?

The Tories always ignore Expert commissioned  reports which don’t fit their ideology (e.g advice relating to drug safety) so ignoring a test which doesn’t have the desired outcome is just another version of that 
Believer

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #132 on: March 6, 2020, 08:40:11 am »
Institute for Government have released a report on Universal Credit and what to do with it. https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/universal-credit-getting-it-to-work-better.pdf

Basic argument is that you either design a new system from scratch and then move everyone onto that eventually, or it's a case of trying to hammer out some of the worse flaws in UC.

Priorities it recommends for flaws to be fixed are to provide a 'welcome to UC' payment so people aren't getting into debt up front - say two weeks payment of Universal Credit to tide people over to the first monthly payment. Then for the government to basically ignore all the debt to the government built up from claimants on UC - about £5bn- rather than deducting it from benefits/wages in the future. After that, focusing on reducing the cuts to benefits rather than cutting tax levels.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #133 on: March 7, 2020, 06:51:18 am »
My mum spent the last two years of her life out of work due to illness and was moved on to universal credit during that period. The total money she received every month was not enough to cover her mortgage, so she relied on me to pay the rest of it and ensure that she had gas, electricity and food (which was not easy as I do not earn a lot of money).

When she passed away last October at the age of 52, her universal credit had been stopped because she was required to attend a meeting in Everton, which is situated two bus journeys away from where we live on the other side of north Liverpool, and this was too difficult for her to do unaided as she had to use a zimmer frame. I work full-time through the week and so it was difficult to get that time off to go with her, and because she did not want to make a fuss, she did not let me know about the appointment or ask me to arrange a taxi for her.

It was a horrific experience for me to go through as her son, so I cannot imagine what universal credit must have been like for her and the many others who end up stuck in that cycle. This is just how I feel about it though. My sister-in-law is in receipt of it and has found it to be straightforward enough.
Sorry to hear about your mum mate, that's a really shitty end of life. I take it if she worked most of her life she also paid into the system via tax and NI?

Great isn`t it, take your contributions for a life time then fuck you off when you desperately need help.

Pisses me off, we are one the wealthiest nations yet we can`t meet certain peoples basic needs in life.

Tory life.

« Last Edit: March 7, 2020, 06:55:53 am by TheTeflonJohn »

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: March 9, 2020, 07:37:08 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51756783

The Department for Work and Pensions has lost more employment tribunals for disability discrimination than any other employer in Britain since 2016.

Seems they treat their own staff the way they treat the claimants... Rotten culture right throughout the organization would definitely need a mass clear out under a labour government if there's ever hope of a return to basic dignity.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2020, 04:36:43 pm »
What am I missing, because I don't understand why Enhanced Disability Premium (£16.80 to £24.10 per week) is such a relatively smaller payment compared to Severe Disability Premium (£65.85 to £131.70 per week) when the threshold for eligibility seems to be higher for Enhanced DP? For example, in order to be eligible for Severe DP, you "only" need to be in receipt of the basic PIP daily component yet for Enhanced DP, you need to be in receipt of the higher/enhanced PIP daily component? Likewise, you "only" need to receive the middle DLA care component for Severe DP, yet only those who receive the highest DLA care component (so presumably the most vulnerable DLA claimants) are eligible for Enhanced DP, yet that payment will be lower than Severe DP?

Is it something to do with Severe DP claimants not having people around to care for them, which sounds as if it's the case with the other references below?

Severe disability premium
You must get the disability premium or income-related ESA, and one of the following qualifying benefits:

• PIP daily living component
  • AFIP
  • DLA care component at the middle or highest rate
  • Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension)

You usually cannot have anyone aged 18 or over living with you, unless they’re in one of these situations:

• they get a qualifying benefit
  • they’re registered blind
  • they’re a boarder or subtenant (but not a close relative)
  • they make separate payments to the landlord

You cannot get the severe disability premium if someone is getting Carer’s Allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you.

If you’re in a couple
You’ll get the higher amount of severe disability premium if both you and your partner are eligible.

You can get the lower amount if:

• someone gets Carers Allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after only one of you
  • only one of you meets the eligibility criteria and the other is registered blind

Enhanced disability premium
To get this, you must be under pension credit age.

You must get the disability premium or income-related ESA, and one of the following:

• PIP daily living component at the higher (‘enhanced’) rate
  • AFIP
  • DLA care component at the highest rate

You’ll also get this if you’re in the support group for income-related ESA.

https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2020, 04:38:31 pm »
SDP is for living alone (or without a carer for couples where both are eligible), yeah. One of the government's arguments for abolishing it is that it was intended to help cover care costs and councils can do that so no need for a payment to individuals...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:40:03 pm by Zeb »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2020, 05:06:30 pm »
SDP is for living alone (or without a carer for couples where both are eligible), yeah. One of the government's arguments for abolishing it is that it was intended to help cover care costs and councils can do that so no need for a payment to individuals...

Thanks.

So who is EDP intended for then? People who are also in need of care, but unlike SDP claimants, do have a carer or at least live with someone else who is able to look after the claimant (which is why the payments are lower)? And the ordinary disability premium being for those with disabilities but who are able to get by without a carer?

I ask for personal reasons. I've only really been somewhat familiar with ESA before, so things like PIP, SDP/EDP are a bit confusing for me before you even address the issue of migration from those benefits to UC.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2020, 05:34:56 pm »
Thanks.

So who is EDP intended for then? People who are also in need of care, but unlike SDP claimants, do have a carer or at least live with someone else who is able to look after the claimant (which is why the payments are lower)? And the ordinary disability premium being for those with disabilities but who are able to get by without a carer?

I ask for personal reasons. I've only really been somewhat familiar with ESA before, so things like PIP, SDP/EDP are a bit confusing for me before you even address the issue of migration from those benefits to UC.

Yeah, if you're into migration part then definitely worth having a chat with an advisor to see how best to keep transitional protection etc. SDP's a real pain because the drop down is harsh if personal circumstances are seen to be changed, and (realistically) its use has rolled into getting by rather than being neatly sectioned off to cover a few hours of private care.

Way I saw the the disability premiums was Labour's way to try and tier the benefit when they brought it in so that a basic rate intended to tide people over for short term ill health wouldn't hammer those with long term things to deal with or no prospect of returning to work. But you'd have to dig through the late Labour changes to system to figure the underlying rhyme and reason beyond the elegibility requirements.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2020, 05:28:43 am »
So was wondering whether the new LHA rates were out yet. Cos they come in 1st April.

My local council hasn't updated yet. I'll use myself as example - I can currently claim up to £105.04 per week for a single room flat.

However, the Government's valuation office, which works it out for councils, has a change in their calculator for April - from 1st April, I can claim up to £138.08 per week for a single room flat.

That's a fair bit of a difference - £1720 a year difference. When Labour brought LHA in it was meant to cover you for bottom 50% of rental properties in an area. Tories reduced it to bottom 30% and then kept cutting. Wonder what 50% would look like now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:02:19 am by Zeb »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2020, 04:38:46 pm »
So was wondering whether the new LHA rates were out yet. Cos they come in 1st April.

My local council hasn't updated yet. I'll use myself as example - I can currently claim up to £105.04 per week for a single room flat.

However, the Government's valuation office, which works it out for councils, has a change in their calculator for April - from 1st April, I can claim up to £138.08 per week for a single room flat.

That's a fair bit of a difference - £1720 a year difference. When Labour brought LHA in it was meant to cover you for bottom 50% of rental properties in an area. Tories reduced it to bottom 30% and then kept cutting. Wonder what 50% would look like now.

Table 4 in this spreadsheet

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/local-housing-allowance-lha-rates-applicable-from-april-2020-to-march-2021

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #141 on: April 8, 2020, 03:51:18 pm »
Ta Shaka - yeah, those are the Valuation Office's figures. The link I gave let's you find by postcode. Kind of waiting to be informed that LHA has gone up. Not heard anything yet, hopefully because of the time delay...

----

If anyone's recently applied for Universal Credit, MPs want to hear from you so they can raise questions and try to improve anything which needs it. Would be really useful to do it if you can as Tories now have a majority on the committee responsible for Universal Credit and they can be a bit tin eared. Questionnaire here:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=nt3mHDeziEC-Xo277ASzSjmyhv4Lz8tPuToBKZcY2O9UNVJNRzM0M1E1RVk3U0EzWkRDR1czQ1U3Ri4u

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2020, 10:18:35 pm »
Anyone applied for Universal Credit since this virus began? Applied for my wife who lost her job. Just been on the payments page, says we should be getting £594.04 but they're deducting £819 based on my wage which leaves us with zero payments. Surely that can't be right?

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2020, 11:05:24 pm »
Anyone applied for Universal Credit since this virus began? Applied for my wife who lost her job. Just been on the payments page, says we should be getting £594.04 but they're deducting £819 based on my wage which leaves us with zero payments. Surely that can't be right?

Can't apply for your wife mate....you apply as a couple.....so if one of you is earning decent dosh it will negate the UC payment.  Have a look at claiming New Style JSA instead? 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:13:25 pm by jamieredders »
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2020, 11:16:22 pm »
Can't apply for your wife mate....you apply as a couple.....so if one of you is earning decent dosh it will negate the UC payment.  Have a look at claiming New Style JSA instead? 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance
Ugh, after all that effort applying and then waiting three weeks I find out I'm getting zilch. Such a headache. My salary's not even that high, can't even claim for working tax credit. Cheers for the link, will apply in the morning

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2020, 11:23:41 pm »
Ugh, after all that effort applying and then waiting three weeks I find out I'm getting zilch. Such a headache. My salary's not even that high, can't even claim for working tax credit. Cheers for the link, will apply in the morning

yup UC doesn't work out for everyone.  When you apply, ask to backdate it to when you applied for UC as didn't realise you could apply for both ;) 
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2020, 08:38:36 am »

Have you tried negotiating with your landlord? I have spoken to a few on behalf of friends and you would be surprised that some are sympathetic.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2020, 10:08:01 pm »

Hi, Ireland. Looking good.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:09:42 pm by thejbs »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2020, 11:57:48 pm »
Have you tried negotiating with your landlord? I have spoken to a few on behalf of friends and you would be surprised that some are sympathetic.

I'm ok covering my rent thanks - I pay well under market rates for my area as I've been here so long that I started my contract when it wasn't a desireable place to live.
Would just be nice having my PIP back from covering my rent. Main driver of rent increase for me down the past c.10 years has actually been ground rent and managing agent fees rather than landlord himself making bank. He'd make 2x the money if he turfed me out so he's a good'un. Gulf between market rate where I am and LHA has been most noticeable every time I've thought about moving and so few places are actually affordable as rents round here have sky rocketed - as the new LHA rate hints towards.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:04:17 am by Zeb »

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2020, 10:54:05 am »
Need a bit of advice here.

I signed up for universal credit because I wasn’t sure if i’d be furloughed (agency worker.)

Got an advance payment which i don’t mind paying back, this was a good few weeks ago.

Soon as I found out I was being furloughed, i put a note on my journal to close my account, checked it a few days later and my account has been closed, saying no more payments will be made ect.

Checked my bank last night and JSA (the payment ref) have paid out £360, when I go to check online, it takes you back to the universal credit website to cancel your claim, which is already cancelled and closed on my account.

Not sure whether to ring them and tell them or whether to leave it and ring them if i get paid again next month, if I do, then ring them?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:55:58 am by J-Mc- »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2020, 01:03:46 pm »
Need a bit of advice here.

I signed up for universal credit because I wasn’t sure if i’d be furloughed (agency worker.)

Got an advance payment which i don’t mind paying back, this was a good few weeks ago.

Soon as I found out I was being furloughed, i put a note on my journal to close my account, checked it a few days later and my account has been closed, saying no more payments will be made ect.

Checked my bank last night and JSA (the payment ref) have paid out £360, when I go to check online, it takes you back to the universal credit website to cancel your claim, which is already cancelled and closed on my account.

Not sure whether to ring them and tell them or whether to leave it and ring them if i get paid again next month, if I do, then ring them?

So far as I understand it, they'll start collecting overpayments again from July. You probably have received something because of it being paid in arrears and you applying a few weeks back and having a gap to then getting told you could be furloughed? Would definitely let them know if they pay out again on a closed account but I'd not sweat it unless they do keep paying it as you've told them up front what's happening as you knew it. Do what will put your mind at ease about it. :)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2020, 04:00:42 pm »
So far as I understand it, they'll start collecting overpayments again from July. You probably have received something because of it being paid in arrears and you applying a few weeks back and having a gap to then getting told you could be furloughed? Would definitely let them know if they pay out again on a closed account but I'd not sweat it unless they do keep paying it as you've told them up front what's happening as you knew it. Do what will put your mind at ease about it. :)

Cheers Zeb.

Rang them (on hold to get through for about 1hr 20m!) and, although when you try and cancel it online, it takes you to the online journal, i’ve just been told that cancelling it through that won’t affect the JSA! So why the website takes you to the journal is anyones guess!

Anyway, i’ll recieve a letter in the future about paying it back so once I get that, i’ll go from there, claim is definately closed now atleast.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2020, 04:21:59 pm »
Cheers Zeb.

Rang them (on hold to get through for about 1hr 20m!) and, although when you try and cancel it online, it takes you to the online journal, i’ve just been told that cancelling it through that won’t affect the JSA! So why the website takes you to the journal is anyones guess!

Anyway, i’ll recieve a letter in the future about paying it back so once I get that, i’ll go from there, claim is definately closed now atleast.

That sounds like a mess others are going to find with it then if it's about how the system works. Glad you've sorted it though and can rest easy about it. I had a time when they kept overpaying me a sum for backdated disability benefits, effectively giving me 2x what I should have had, and wouldn't have it on the phone or the job centre I'd been overpaid. Took a while for me to relax to the idea I wasn't going to be chased for it if I spent it.

With repayments, just something to keep in mind if it's ever needed, you can ask them to be flexible on those if you need to if they'll add too much of an additional burden. Although would say speak to CAB or someone if it comes to that and get the information needed up front.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2020, 01:12:25 pm »
Can they just switch you onto this from JSA without you actually applying for it?

The missus phoned me earlier. She's was on hold for an hour to Jobcentre Plus because she went to the bank earlier to see if her JSA had gone in as normal but there was just a payment of £10.63 from DWP. Phoned them up and ther said a claim had been made for Universal Credit on her behalf. She's never applied for it. She gets home and there's a letter from the council saying her housing benefit claim has been cancelled because she's now on Universal Credit.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2020, 01:21:15 pm »
I'd definitely ask about who made that application if it's news to your missus. They can move you if you report a change of circumstance which would trigger it but they should also tell you that they're moving you onto it. Same with telling you if you're moved onto it as part of their planned shift over.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2020, 09:02:31 am »
I was in Bootle this morning and someone has given the Job Centre on Stanley road a new paint job.

Checked the Echo website and the story is here -

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/we-not-submit-merseysides-powerful-16912617

Job centre near me also has similar graffiti. Looks like they gave up trying to remove it!

1 million new people have now signed up to UC. I think UC replaces housing benefit so that might explain things. People are struggling with their rent. I'm amazed the 5 week window is still being kept because that is a real problem for tenants.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2020, 12:52:19 pm »
'No DSS' letting bans 'ruled unlawful' by court

A judge has ruled that blanket bans on renting properties to people on housing benefit are unlawful and discriminatory.

The "momentous" court ruling found a single mother-of-two had experienced indirect discrimination when a letting agent refused to rent to her.

She ended up homeless with her two children, when her case was taken on by housing charity Shelter.

The judge ruled "No DSS" rental bans are against equality laws.

Previously cases backed by Shelter - and first reported by BBC News - have established that "No DSS" landlords and agents are guilty of indirect discrimination, but the cases were settled before any court heard them in full.

In February 2018, single mother Rosie Keogh won compensation for sex discrimination from a lettings agency that refused to consider her as a tenant because she was on state benefit, but the case was settled out of court.

District Judge Victoria Mark heard this latest case in York County Court on 1 July, and ruled: "Rejecting tenancy applications because the applicant is in receipt of housing benefit was unlawfully discriminating on the grounds of sex and disability".

And this was, therefore, contrary to the Equality Act 2010, she said.

Polly Neate, chief executive of Shelter, said: "This momentous ruling should be the nail in the coffin for 'No DSS' discrimination.

"It will help give security and stability to people who unfairly struggle to find a place to live just because they receive housing benefit."

Single mother, Jane (not her real name) had been looking for a new home on October 2018 after being subject to a "no fault" eviction by her previous landlord.

She said: "I was shocked and found it very unfair that they wouldn't even give me a chance.

"I had excellent references from both my landlords of the last nine years as I've always paid my rent on time and I had a professional guarantor.

"I could have paid up to six months' rent in advance because my parents lent me the amount.

"When the letting agent wouldn't take me because of a company policy, I felt offended that after all those years when I have prided myself on paying my rent, paying my bills, being a good tenant, it just meant nothing.

"When I realised I was going to be homeless because I couldn't find anywhere, I felt sick to my stomach."

The letting agent in the case cannot be named for legal reasons.

The ruling of indirect discrimination is due to the fact that women and those with disabilities are disproportionately more likely to be in receipt of housing benefit, and therefore disproportionately affected by blanket "No DSS" bans.

The successful case is the latest step in the charity's End DSS Discrimination campaign to stop the practice, which excludes thousands of people from renting homes each year - and the charity hopes the ruling will send a clear message that landlords or agents who continue to refuse to rent to housing benefit claimants risk legal action.

The legal action was also supported by the Equality and Human Rights Commission, the Nationwide Foundation and barrister Tessa Buchanan at Garden Court Chambers.

A survey for the charity conducted by YouGov in December 2019 and January 2020 found nearly two-thirds of private landlords either do not, or prefer not to, let to people on housing benefits.

Rose Arnall, the Shelter solicitor who has led the charity's legal challenges on the issue, said: "This is the first time a court has fully considered a case like this.

"It finally clarifies that discriminating against people in need of housing benefits is not just morally wrong, it is against the law.

"This sends a huge signal to letting agents and landlords that they must end these practices and do so immediately."

Responding to the ruling, Chris Norris, policy director at the National Residential Landlords Association, said: "No landlord should discriminate against tenants because they are in receipt of benefits.

"Every tenant's circumstance is different and so they should be treated on a case by case basses based on their ability to sustain the tenancy."

But he added that the government could support tenants by ensuring benefits covered rents entirely.

Minister for rough sleeping and housing Luke Hall said the government had been working with landlords and letting agents to ensure tenants are treated on an individual basis and that benefits are not a barrier.

He added: "Everyone should have the same opportunity when looking for a home and discriminating against someone simply because they receive benefits has no place in a modern hosing market."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53391516

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2020, 08:41:09 pm »
Universal Credit: Mum wins High Court fight against DWP

A single working mother has won a High Court challenge against the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) over "irrational" universal credit rules.

Sharon Pantellerisco, from Merseyside, had her benefits cut as her employer paid her salary on a four-week basis.

If she was paid monthly, a reduction of up to £463 in universal credit per month would not have applied.

In a similar case in January 2019, four working single mothers won a High Court challenge over the government's universal credit scheme.

They argued a "fundamental problem" with the system meant their monthly payments varied "enormously", leaving them out of pocket and struggling financially.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-53472675

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2020, 09:09:21 pm »
One of my clients got taken off tax credits and onto UC due to somebody making a fraudulent claim in her name and they've told her they can't change it back.

She's had the same issues as the above due to being paid 4wkly and is massively out of pocket.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2020, 08:26:41 am »
House of Lords looked into Universal Credit. They called their report "Universal Credit isn't working".

Universal credit needs a massive £8bn overhaul to make it reliable for the millions of families who will depend on it as the Covid-19 economic crisis grows, a cross-party House of Lords committee has concluded.

The economic affairs committee said public support for the troubled universal credit system was “seeping away” because of multiple design faults, the inadequacy of benefit rates, and lack of specialised support for claimants.

It proposes a series of reforms to make universal credit “fit for purpose”, including an urgent catch-up increase in the generosity of benefit rates: “Universal credit should be set at a level that provides claimants with dignity and security,” it says.

The committee’s chair, Lord Forsyth, said the committee broadly agreed with universal credit’s original aim of simplifying the benefits system. “However, in its current form, it fails to provide a dependable safety net. It has led to an unprecedented number of people relying on food banks and not being able to pay their rent.”

The £20-a-week increase in the universal credit standard allowance introduced in April as a temporary boost to help claimants with extra pandemic costs should be made permanent, the report says, while work allowances should be increased to allow claimants to keep more of their award as they move into work.

Forsyth is a Tory former government minister, while the committee’s Conservative members include the head of the NHS track-and-trace system, Baroness Harding, and the cross-bencher former Treasury permanent secretary Lord Burns.

A decade of social security cuts meant benefits no longer reflected the cost of living, the peers say. The monthly standard allowance for a couple aged over 25 is currently £594.04, on top of which they may receive additional payments for housing and children. For a single person under 25 it is £342.72 a month.

The committee is critical of the five-week wait for a first universal credit payment, which it says can push vulnerable claimants into debt, food bank use and rent arrears. Claimants should be given a non-repayable grant to help tide them over this critical waiting period, it recommends.

Nearly £6bn of historic tax credit debts currently deducted from claimants’ monthly universal credit payments should be written off, it says. “The government should not jeopardise the financial security of claimants by seeking its recovery.”

The wide-ranging report calls for the removal of the “unfair” two-child limit on benefits, and a review of the level of the benefit cap. It says “less emphasis” should be placed on benefit sanctions, saying they can push people into extreme poverty and there is little evidence that they incentivise people to move into work.

The report, entitled Universal Credit Isn’t Working, sets out several principles that should guide the “substantial reform” needed to improve it, including dignity and respect for claimants, adequate income levels, security and stability, flexibility and fairness.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/31/universal-credit-needs-8bn-overhaul-says-cross-party-report

Sad thing continues to be that all the recommendations are things which were said while Universal Credit was a twinkle in IDS' eye. Whole thing is defined by some of them - especially the idea that there's 'good' claimants (who should get extra money) and 'bad' ones who should get bare all.