Author Topic: Rafa knocks back contract  (Read 140850 times)

Offline simmo

• D cup - Carragher's just a stopper, Gerrard's not a great player, Torres is a mercenary opportunist, Mascherano's not very good, Rafa's a clown... oh and Liverpool aren't a great club... opinion or wind-up?... you decide...
  • Anny Roader
Re: Rafa knocks back contract
« Reply #1000 on: January 17, 2009, 05:39:16 pm »
THe best thing for the club is to get rid of whining knobhead 'fans' like yourself.

No offence.
None taken, just like losers and plazzy south end scousers like yourself who put there trust in a manager who cant get on with anyone or doesn't like to answer to bosses are holding our great club back.

No offence.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1001 on: January 17, 2009, 05:40:46 pm »
Heard a lot about shankly would say this and shankly would do that .

Yes bill would have when he was manager but those days are well and truly gone years ago its a different game to the days of shankly and even kenny dalglish's days .

royhendo

« Reply #1002 on: January 17, 2009, 05:44:57 pm »
My affection for Rafa is well known.  But I agree.
I feel he might have made his first mistake here. Or there's an ulterior motive.

I look forward to hearing from Shanklyboy who clearly has an inside track to Parry.

If, as I suspect, Parry himself would have no difficulty handing on the transfer responsibilities in order to get on with his other duties.... then I seriously have to ask what Rafa is doing here?

And IF Parry is not the obstacle to Benitez taking more control, then who is?  Is it one of the owners?

You suspect Parry is willing to step aside? That's the opposite of what most insiders report CTR.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1003 on: January 17, 2009, 06:00:16 pm »
Don't gimme this Shanks business, you've no idea what Shanks would've done. If Rafa is so concerned about affecting the team he wouldn't have realeased the statement. The press can remark all they want, they've done it for years. Rafa has the ear of the team he can speak to them himself if he feels he needs to clear up the situation. In the meantime the fans, the team and Rafa could concentrate on winning the league.
Rafa didn't put it in the public domain Hicks did. You can't ignore questions about the managers future look at what happened across Stanley Park at the start of the season. Look at United when Fergusson announced he was leaving midway through the season.

I wonder how many of the people who are criticizing Rafa would do as he has done and turn down the £20m he has been offered on a point of principle. He could easily take the money and keep quiet but he hasn't because he doesn't think the way the club is being run is in the best interests of Liverpool Football Club.

It's not Rafa who is the control freak but Parry. Rafa has said he would have no problem with answering to a technical Director but you can't have a non football man deciding which players arrive and leave. Especially if that man Parry does not live and die by his actions.

Parry makes mistake after mistake and just bumbles on regardless. Rafa is judged by performances on the pitch why isn't Parry judged on performances off it.

The reason DIC were interested in the club is they could see the club was being run abysmally and with a decent CEO would be a goldmine.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #1004 on: January 17, 2009, 06:25:39 pm »
Really worried that Rafa will walk away at the end of the season. We are almost there (it may take another season to win the league again)  - but losing Rafa will put us back to square one

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1005 on: January 17, 2009, 06:32:30 pm »
Really worried that Rafa will walk away at the end of the season. We are almost there (it may take another season to win the league again)  - but losing Rafa will put us back to square one
Couldn't agree more Whiskey Nose is about to retire, Wenger's lost the plot, Scolari has been found out.

Keep the faith we could be about to enter another golden era in our History, don't throw it away.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1006 on: January 17, 2009, 06:44:29 pm »
Out of interest, how many people who were strongly opposed to the Barry signature now advocating Rafa getting control over transfers?

By the by, I haven't kept up with the thread, but is there a feeling Rafa is staying as we would all hope?
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Kaka 22

• Bayern Munich Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: January 17, 2009, 06:45:55 pm »
my thinking exactly, if he had his way we'd have garry barry in our midfield instead of Xabi, so although i agree with his sentiments, im lucky he didnt get his wish too early on

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1008 on: January 17, 2009, 06:47:03 pm »
Out of interest, how many people who were strongly opposed to the Barry signature now advocating Rafa getting control over transfers?

By the by, I haven't kept up with the thread, but is there a feeling Rafa is staying as we would all hope?

I think that bar the incompetence of Parry, the working structure is fine. The board in my opinion did the right thing by blocking the Barry transfer.

Nobody knows really. I think it will be sorted out eventually though.

Offline nickbray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1009 on: January 17, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
Reading this topic, it seems that most of you think that one man is bigger than Liverpool FC.

Rafa is good, but not great. We have the personnel now, but we will not win the League under him due to his over-cautious tactics.

Further, his demands for total control on transfers are excessive.

It's not what many of you want to hear, but he has taken us as far as he can. The challenge is to find a manager who can take his team and make them into Champions by playing more attacking football.
"That's nice...That's McDermott...And that's a goal!"

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1010 on: January 17, 2009, 06:50:47 pm »
my thinking exactly, if he had his way we'd have garry barry in our midfield instead of Xabi, so although i agree with his sentiments, im lucky he didnt get his wish too early on

Yes, if only Rafa had a crystal ball that would tell him Alonso would return to form and not play like he did last season.

If only his crystal ball would tell him Torres would only have 6 goals.

If only his crystal ball would have told him Keane wouldn't have 10 goals by now.

If only his crystal ball...and on and on.

Second guessing is a fine art form in forums.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #1011 on: January 17, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »
I think that bar the incompetence of Parry, the working structure is fine. The board in my opinion did the right thing by blocking the Barry transfer.

To my mind, that's about the sum of it.

Whilst all transfer requests should come from Benitez, there must be a final check in place that the board authorise the amount to be spent on a particular player.

It's something that might only come into play for one transfer in 20, but I don't agree that the manager should not have someone signing off the transfers - but that probably should not be Rick Parry.

As far as the running of the youth set-up, yes Benitez should have ultimate control of all footballing matters at the club, end of.
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1012 on: January 17, 2009, 06:57:23 pm »
Yes, if only Rafa had a crystal ball that would tell him Alonso would return to form and not play like he did last season.

If only his crystal ball would tell him Torres would only have 6 goals.

If only his crystal ball would have told him Keane wouldn't have 10 goals by now.

If only his crystal ball...and on and on.

Second guessing is a fine art form in forums.

No idea what point you're trying to make but second guessing is what managers are paid to do. If Keane carries on with his first half of the season form then Rafa will [rightly] take a huge amount of criticism for spending £20m on an almighty flop.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #1013 on: January 17, 2009, 07:06:38 pm »
Reading this topic, it seems that most of you think that one man is bigger than Liverpool FC.

Rafa is good, but not great. We have the personnel now, but we will not win the League under him due to his over-cautious tactics.

It's not what many of you want to hear, but he has taken us as far as he can. The challenge is to find a manager who can take his team and make them into Champions by playing more attacking football.

Amen.  Also I hear Sky Sports is hiring.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1014 on: January 17, 2009, 07:07:01 pm »
No idea what point you're trying to make but second guessing is what managers are paid to do. If Keane carries on with his first half of the season form then Rafa will [rightly] take a huge amount of criticism for spending £20m on an almighty flop.

The question is: how was Rafa to know what I asked above last August before the first match of the season? People seem to think there's a magic crystal ball out there that predicts the future for Rafa.

Then again, how many wanted to be in the hunt for a League title during the sharp end of the season and here we are doing that exactly as hoped.

And when we get there, still people moan.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: January 17, 2009, 07:13:46 pm »
We're one point off the top of the League.

Sack Rafa!!!

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #1016 on: January 17, 2009, 07:21:29 pm »
The problem lies in the belief that we have to be Man Utd or Chelsea to win the league.  In reality Mourinho's defensive tactics won Chelsea the league, and Man Utd simply try to score first then sit on the match and counter attack.  Arsenal and us are the only teams the play possession football and Arsenal could use a few of Rafa's defensive tactics.  We don't have to be Barcelona to win the league, and as our current position attests we don't need attacking football to win the league.  Our form towards the end of last year was brilliant and it's carried over into this year, and once Torres gets in form and the team has a bit of belief again I think we can win the league.  Also, Man City, Wigan, Man U at home?  Were all these defensive minded performances?
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #1017 on: January 17, 2009, 07:24:05 pm »

First and last post hopefully ya' fucking bell.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline CF999

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #1018 on: January 17, 2009, 07:26:17 pm »

Yes lavly attacking fatbawl like awsnuw play innit

Offline nickbray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1019 on: January 17, 2009, 07:29:45 pm »
Yes, we are one point off the top, and Rafa has done very well to get us there.

I'm not sure about you, but I believe that Liverpool FC exists to win trophies: we would be 5 or more points clear at the top if we went for the jugular more often and did not play so conservatively. However, Rafa is as stubborn as they come, and will stick to his Sattchi philosophy football until his last breath, so don't expect him to play Torres, Keane, Gerrard and Babel in his beloved 4-2-3-1 formation any time soon.

As it is, we have, I feel, missed our opportunity this season. The Scum have clearly got the momentum now, the kind of momentum we used to be able to create (e.g. 1981-2, 1985-6) by going on long winning (i.e. not just unbeaten, but winning) stretches.

Sorry, but one point off the top of the league may be as close as we get this seaon.

Offline Miko

• Main Stander
« Reply #1020 on: January 17, 2009, 07:32:55 pm »
I recall rumors going around that Pepe Reina said he would leave if Rafa was forced out of the club or left. I know that Pepe himself rubbished these rumors, but I wonder what sort of exodus would occur in the event Rafa was not our manager in any circumstances. Sure we have positions that could be filled with better talent, but not many, overall we have a fucking good squad, so I think anything other then a contract extension or some sort of positive direction towards such, will spell the beginning of a bad series of events.
We all bleed red, it's not worth debating.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1021 on: January 17, 2009, 07:36:33 pm »
Yes, we are one point off the top, and Rafa has done very well to get us there.

I'm not sure about you, but I believe that Liverpool FC exists to win trophies: we would be 5 or more points clear at the top if we went for the jugular more often and did not play so conservatively. However, Rafa is as stubborn as they come, and will stick to his Sattchi philosophy football until his last breath, so don't expect him to play Torres, Keane, Gerrard and Babel in his beloved 4-2-3-1 formation any time soon.

As it is, we have, I feel, missed our opportunity this season. The Scum have clearly got the momentum now, the kind of momentum we used to be able to create (e.g. 1981-2, 1985-6) by going on long winning (i.e. not just unbeaten, but winning) stretches.

Sorry, but one point off the top of the league may be as close as we get this seaon.

Yeah that Sattchi philosophy of advertising is shite. I blame it all on the new alternating boards around the pitch to be honest.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1022 on: January 17, 2009, 07:36:46 pm »
rafa wont leave.. hes too stubborn to leave until hes won it for us..
White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline nickbray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1023 on: January 17, 2009, 07:45:41 pm »
Yes lavly attacking fatbawl like awsnuw play innit

Sorry mate, I'm from Lancaster, so don't give me all that southern bollocks.

And no, I don't want us to play like Arsenal. What I want is to build on what our strengths are today. Problem is, Rafa won't change his thinking. The reason it is more frustrating this season is that we are doing so well.

Offline nickbray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1024 on: January 17, 2009, 07:47:10 pm »
First and last post hopefully ya' fucking bell.

Cheers, mate. That probably took you about five minutes to type in, did it?

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: January 17, 2009, 07:48:34 pm »
However, Rafa is as stubborn as they come, and will stick to his Sattchi Saachi philosophy football until his last breath
This was AC Milan, not Inter. They played some breath taking football at times, I don't know if you can remember?

As it is, we have, I feel, missed our opportunity this season. The Scum Mancs have clearly got the momentum now, the kind of momentum we used to be able to create (e.g. 1981-2, 1985-6) by going on long winning (i.e. not just unbeaten, but winning) stretches.

Did you miss the weeks where we were top? Yernited have gone top for the first time this season. We'll be back on top Monday night, I reckon.
It's all very well for you to to advocate that Rafa should 'go for the jugular' and is 'conservative' but you've already conceded the title, with us a point off the lead and a couple of goals poorer in goal difference. You're hardly living your own philosophy of football, are you? 

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: January 17, 2009, 07:49:44 pm »
Problem is, Rafa won't change his thinking. The reason it is more frustrating this season is that we are doing so well.
Thanks to?

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1027 on: January 17, 2009, 07:50:47 pm »
Maybe just maybe there is no more money for new players he has said today that we will NOT be getting anyone this month, maybe he knows there will be no transfer budget in the summer either.

If thats the case then I dont blame him for not signing the contract.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline nickbray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1028 on: January 17, 2009, 07:50:55 pm »
Yeah that Sattchi philosophy of advertising is shite. I blame it all on the new alternating boards around the pitch to be honest.

Yeah, you're right. We used to be good before they went and changed the advertising boards....I meant that Italian bloke named after a Japanese wine, didn't I?

Offline stjohn65

• Kopite
  • An honest man, though e'r so poor, is King o men
« Reply #1029 on: January 17, 2009, 07:54:11 pm »
Sorry mate, I'm from Lancaster, so don't give me all that southern bollocks.

wool.

"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone sharing the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life." Bill Shankly

Offline Drunknmunky

• Kopite
« Reply #1030 on: January 17, 2009, 07:55:21 pm »
This is blatantly turning into Hicks/Rafa v Gillette/Parry again. Fucking sick of these c*nts ruining this club  :no

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1031 on: January 17, 2009, 07:57:46 pm »
Yeah, you're right. We used to be good before they went and changed the advertising boards....I meant that Italian bloke named after a Japanese wine, didn't I?

Tee hee.

Offline nickbray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1032 on: January 17, 2009, 07:57:49 pm »
This was AC Milan, not Inter. They played some breath taking football at times, I don't know if you can remember?
Did you miss the weeks where we were top? Yernited have gone top for the first time this season. We'll be back on top Monday night, I reckon.
It's all very well for you to to advocate that Rafa should 'go for the jugular' and is 'conservative' but you've already conceded the title, with us a point off the lead and a couple of goals poorer in goal difference. You're hardly living your own philosophy of football, are you? 

Yeah, you're right, it was AC Milan, and they played some good stuff in the early 1990s.

If you look at the table tonight, then you are dead right. We are a point off the top an inferior goal difference. But the table is only a snapshot. It doesn't tell you who is playing well now, and who has the momentum. See my earlier post for my comments on that.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1033 on: January 17, 2009, 07:59:20 pm »
Why is Nick getting abuse? He is entitled to his opinion even if its different from your own.

He is right Rafa is a stubborn old goat.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline rewood

• Kopite
« Reply #1034 on: January 17, 2009, 07:59:36 pm »

hear hear

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1035 on: January 17, 2009, 08:01:28 pm »

:butt Sweet jesus there's one born every minute
Robbie Fowler is God

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1036 on: January 17, 2009, 08:03:21 pm »
If you look at the table tonight, then you are dead right. We are a point off the top an inferior goal difference. But the table is only a snapshot. It doesn't tell you who is playing well now, and who has the momentum. See my earlier post for my comments on that.
Alright mate, if you want to  convince yourself that the Mancs are going to win the league, i'll leave you to it.

You'll just sound like a Manc.

And your profile says you're from Surrey...

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1037 on: January 17, 2009, 08:06:52 pm »
i think there needs to be someone in the parry role at the club to be honest.
i`m about as pro rafa as you get but i also know that the job of managing liverpool football club can become too big and warp a managers judgement, just look at houllier and although for other reasons look at dalglish.
there needs to be someone who doesnt neccessarily pick and choose who we sell or buy, but at least sits down with the manager and discusses the upside and downside to his desicions.
i dont want a director of football who has a say in footy matters i just want someone who is technically the managers boss who the manager has to report to.
lets say rafa loses it and wants to sell torres to buy sean dundee, the yanks wouldnt have a clue and would probably say `sound`.
i want someone there who will quiz the manager when something as obvious as that is being proposed.
this is no attack on rafa, i think he`s been the best thing to happen to this club in years and years, he may have even saved the status of this club as a major player in europe and in england BUT, personally i dont like the idea of any manager having total control.
i know rafa said the fans are his bosses but in an extreme example he sells gerrard, torres, reina and alonso before we get the chance to sack him, the damage would be done.

Offline nickbray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1038 on: January 17, 2009, 08:15:29 pm »
Alright mate, if you want to  convince yourself that the Mancs are going to win the league, i'll leave you to it.

You'll just sound like a Manc.

And your profile says you're from Surrey...

I live in Surrey, but I'm from Lancaster.

Brilliant: I've been called a 'fucking bell', a 'wool' and a 'Manc' within 30 minutes of questioning the moral majority. Nothing like a quiet night in these days...

Offline nickbray

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1039 on: January 17, 2009, 08:18:43 pm »
i think there needs to be someone in the parry role at the club to be honest.
i`m about as pro rafa as you get but i also know that the job of managing liverpool football club can become too big and warp a managers judgement, just look at houllier and although for other reasons look at dalglish.
there needs to be someone who doesnt neccessarily pick and choose who we sell or buy, but at least sits down with the manager and discusses the upside and downside to his desicions.
i dont want a director of football who has a say in footy matters i just want someone who is technically the managers boss who the manager has to report to.
lets say rafa loses it and wants to sell torres to buy sean dundee, the yanks wouldnt have a clue and would probably say `sound`.
i want someone there who will quiz the manager when something as obvious as that is being proposed.
this is no attack on rafa, i think he`s been the best thing to happen to this club in years and years, he may have even saved the status of this club as a major player in europe and in england BUT, personally i dont like the idea of any manager having total control.
i know rafa said the fans are his bosses but in an extreme example he sells gerrard, torres, reina and alonso before we get the chance to sack him, the damage would be done.

Agreed. You can't give anybody that amount of responsibiltiy without accountability, in any business or organisation.