Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5782778 times)

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
  • There is only one Thierry Henry
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #21480 on: December 13, 2013, 06:29:29 pm »
As an Arsenal fan i couldn't agree more.

Love Giroud to bits, he really does give his all but no team can win silverware with him as the nr. 1 striker. In terms of hold up play he is world class, but thats about it. He's not clinical enough and his lack of pace and agility will always hold him back.

He's probably one of the best "plan b" strikers in the world, but in a team looking to win competitions as competitive as the CL and PL, he shouldn't be the starting striker.

Just my opinion of course.

I have to completely disagree with the opinion that Arsenal can't win because Giroud is the striker. Its a fallacious argument that you need one of the top 5 strikers in the world to win the CL. Bayern last year won it with Mandzukic and when Liverpool won you had Baros as top striker. Its obviously easier to win the more world class players you have but the argument that Arsenal "can't" win because of Giroud is just not a valid argument.

Its just like the "experts" on the NFL who argue you need a superstar quarterback to win the Super Bowl without remembering that teams have won the Super Bowl with mediocre quarterbacks.

Its a team game after all.

That doesn't mean I think we will win the CL (I don't) but the argument that  we won't "because we have Giroud" is not a valid argument at all as teams have proven in the past.

Offline Ben_AFC

• Legacy Fan
  • It's magic you know, Two FA Cups in a row
« Reply #21481 on: December 13, 2013, 06:32:37 pm »
If I were a betting man I'd put money on Nasri to score tomorrow.
w w w w d d w w w d w w w d d w d w w d w w w w w w w w w d w d w d d d w w. Arsena.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21482 on: December 13, 2013, 06:37:59 pm »
Not siding with anybody in this debate, but the bold part is completely untrue.

If Dortmund had depth, they wouldn't be in this trouble. An injury anywhere, and they end up playing Grosskreutz there.

They do have excellent first XI though. Better than Arsenal's.
Fair enough, I'm of the opinion that they have some pretty good players who can step in when needed, and Klopp is an excellent motivator even for the ones who are not that good. However to then disregard the rest of my analysis which was entirely on Atletico, a team who I have seen a fair bit of this year was rude to say the least. I hope for your sake you don't draw them, but for his they do (if that makes sense  ;D)
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21483 on: December 13, 2013, 06:41:44 pm »
Fair enough, I'm of the opinion that they have some pretty good players who can step in when needed, and Klopp is an excellent motivator even for the ones who are not that good. However to then disregard the rest of my analysis which was entirely on Atletico, a team who I have seen a fair bit of this year was rude to say the least. I hope for your sake you don't draw them, but for his they do (if that makes sense  ;D)
I've seen Atletico play this year and I completely agree with you in that regard. :)

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
« Reply #21484 on: December 13, 2013, 07:56:53 pm »
To be fair, some of my Arsenal supporting mates were disgusted with my attitude as well. But a lot also felt the same way. The disappointment is not in the fact that we qualified, it's because it's like reading the same book over and over again. It made feel a bit sick. I just know what is coming. A terrible draw---> elimination in the second round once again. The inevitability is what makes some of us a bit livid. But you're right in a sense, we did qualify from a difficult group and we just have to put it all behind us and hope for the best.

If you already *know* whats coming, how about you just don't watch any more Champions League football this season and don't post on the internet about it anymore.

I have to just assume you haven't been an Arsenal fan long enough to remember years like 1995 when we didn't even finish in the Top 10 of the league. What gets people upset as underperforming is all relative as my Leeds and Blackburn supporting friends like to remind on occasions like Wed.

Offline Sol-89

• Kopite
  • O Eboue, Eboue, wherefore art thou Eboue?
« Reply #21485 on: December 13, 2013, 08:08:17 pm »
If I were a betting man I'd put money on Nasri to score tomorrow.

Really? He's normally really quiet against us, perhaps I'm not remembering correctly.

A point tomorrow would be a great result though I think we may surprise a few with our performance tomorrow.

Looks like Sagna will be back which is bloody huge for us. I think we may see Cazorla make way for Walcott, counter attack will be the name of the game tomorrow (at least I hope it is) . We need to start with Flamini instead of Arteta, too.

Offline Ben_AFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21486 on: December 13, 2013, 08:09:30 pm »
I have to just assume you haven't been an Arsenal fan long enough to remember years like 1995 when we didn't even finish in the Top 10 of the league. What gets people upset as underperforming is all relative as my Leeds and Blackburn supporting friends like to remind on occasions like Wed.

Precisely. Look, we're through. As Goonerholic said on today's Arsecast, if you get into a fight, you hit the big bloke first. As fans we take what we're given and the chance to play against the big boys is brilliant, and as someone that goes on the odd European away all our possible destinations are absolutely first rate. I'd rather take going out fighting to one of the big guys now than beating a minnow and then going out to a big club in the next round. How any Arsenal fan can be properly upset with anything that's gone on this season is beyond me. Remember Villa. When we had 17 fit players in the squad, and lost badly. Remember how you felt then. Remember how you thought the season was going to pan out. Remember looking at our CL group and thinking that we're fucked. And look at us now.

It doesn't take a memory that goes back to 1995 (although mine does - as a 29 year old it was the first real season I remember being into from start to finish and accordingly shaped the way I view the club) to see the improvements we've made. There's never really been a bad time to be an Arsenal fan, and even if we get smashed tomorrow (I think we'll get beat), we'll still be ranked higher than any other football club in England. How lucky are we to say that about our club.`

Some people need to chill out and remember their place within the scheme of things. Just some blokes, watching great football.
w w w w d d w w w d w w w d d w d w w d w w w w w w w w w d w d w d d d w w. Arsena.

Offline Ben_AFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21487 on: December 13, 2013, 08:11:02 pm »
Really? He's normally really quiet against us, perhaps I'm not remembering correctly.

He's been playing well and I'm the type of person who is both often tongue in cheek, and prone to fatalism. Take it with a pinch of salt. ;)

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21488 on: December 13, 2013, 10:03:37 pm »
Take a breather before you post please, no need for insinuations or personal attacks, if you can't handle an opposing point of view, you don't need to read it ok?

And yes, our squad needs a real kick up the butt for the match tomorrow. I hope they manage to put on a good show though.

Absolute weapon.

Can see nasri scoring too! Go ed lad ;)

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21489 on: December 13, 2013, 10:41:40 pm »
Absolute weapon.

Can see nasri scoring too! Go ed lad ;)

Think we stop him scoring. think we can win their. they not faced a defence like ours all season and we got fresh midfield to go at them big time in ramsey, jack and walcott. can,t wait. if win we sending a message out to league. Biggest game of the season by a country mille and out toughest away game so far. But bayern did them over at home and their defence is rubbish.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #21490 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »
Think we stop him scoring. think we can win their. they not faced a defence like ours all season and we got fresh midfield to go at them big time in ramsey, jack and walcott. can,t wait. if win we sending a message out to league. Biggest game of the season by a country mille and out toughest away game so far. But bayern did them over at home and their defence is rubbish.

Oh no youve gone mad, how awful for you
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21491 on: December 13, 2013, 10:54:20 pm »
Oh no youve gone mad, how awful for you

I meant bayern beat them 3-1 at their place. we six points ahead of them and although it be very tough we can go nine points clear of them. lets do it lads.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #21492 on: December 13, 2013, 11:03:48 pm »
Not gonna happen. City will win comfortably.

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21493 on: December 13, 2013, 11:10:10 pm »
Not gonna happen. City will win comfortably.

No chance. last two seasons up at their place we draw 1-1 and lost just 1-0. It be close game between the best two teams in the league in my view and i think its out toughest away game but think we can win their. They not faced a defence like ours all season or player like ozil in league this year.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #21494 on: December 13, 2013, 11:23:09 pm »
No chance. last two seasons up at their place we draw 1-1 and lost just 1-0. It be close game between the best two teams in the league in my view and i think its out toughest away game but think we can win their. They not faced a defence like ours all season or player like ozil in league this year.

I say it because I think City are the better team mate, and the amount of games your players have played without much rotation is finally catching up with you. Against Everton you looked very leggy and also against Napoli midweek. I think City will come at you early and if they get a couple of goals in the first half, you simply won't have the energy to claw it back.

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
« Reply #21495 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25:50 pm »
Precisely. Look, we're through. As Goonerholic said on today's Arsecast, if you get into a fight, you hit the big bloke first. As fans we take what we're given and the chance to play against the big boys is brilliant, and as someone that goes on the odd European away all our possible destinations are absolutely first rate. I'd rather take going out fighting to one of the big guys now than beating a minnow and then going out to a big club in the next round. How any Arsenal fan can be properly upset with anything that's gone on this season is beyond me. Remember Villa. When we had 17 fit players in the squad, and lost badly. Remember how you felt then. Remember how you thought the season was going to pan out. Remember looking at our CL group and thinking that we're fucked. And look at us now.

It doesn't take a memory that goes back to 1995 (although mine does - as a 29 year old it was the first real season I remember being into from start to finish and accordingly shaped the way I view the club) to see the improvements we've made. There's never really been a bad time to be an Arsenal fan, and even if we get smashed tomorrow (I think we'll get beat), we'll still be ranked higher than any other football club in England. How lucky are we to say that about our club.`

Some people need to chill out and remember their place within the scheme of things. Just some blokes, watching great football.

Well said and very good  post. I doubt very many gooners were thinking we would be leading the league in December after that first game.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:27:23 pm by chilongooner »

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21496 on: December 13, 2013, 11:35:29 pm »
I say it because I think City are the better team mate, and the amount of games your players have played without much rotation is finally catching up with you. Against Everton you looked very leggy and also against Napoli midweek. I think City will come at you early and if they get a couple of goals in the first half, you simply won't have the energy to claw it back.

Disagree we be very fresh in midfield. none of walcott, ramsey , wilshire were needed midweek so they were be as fresh as a daisy. I think we cope with a lot of city throw at us no better then what dortmund or munich threw at us and we were fine. I think we take 1-0 lead, sit back and counter act them to win 2-0 and go nine ahead of city and stay five ahead of chelsea.

Online Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #21497 on: December 13, 2013, 11:40:06 pm »
Well, I do admire a man with confidence.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21498 on: December 13, 2013, 11:43:25 pm »
Disagree we be very fresh in midfield. none of walcott, ramsey , wilshire were needed midweek so they were be as fresh as a daisy. I think we cope with a lot of city throw at us no better then what dortmund or munich threw at us and we were fine. I think we take 1-0 lead, sit back and counter act them to win 2-0 and go nine ahead of city and stay five ahead of chelsea.

You will be less than 3pts ahead by Jan 1st.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21499 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:09 pm »
You will be less than 3pts ahead by Jan 1st.

If we win our next two games then we be lot further clear then that. Next two games will tell us whether we run away with it or it be close run thing between many clubs.

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21500 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »
Well, I do admire a man with confidence.

I bet its not different with liverpool fan going to spurs. You got to back your team. Always keep the faith

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21501 on: December 13, 2013, 11:47:21 pm »
If we win our next two games then we be lot further clear then that. Next two games will tell us whether we run away with it or it be close run thing between many clubs.

Well yes thats true

If

Jurgen Klopp

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21502 on: December 13, 2013, 11:50:55 pm »
Well yes thats true

If

Its massive few weeks in the season for all the big clubs. next few games will tell us where we are.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21503 on: December 13, 2013, 11:55:45 pm »
They will only tell us where we are after the next few games

Personally I think after the transfer window has been done and the new players everywhere are in and settled then we will see.

Middle/end of Feb

The nextfew weeks will be about the media and how they can go on about Arsenals wheels coming off or not, and about our title challenge fading away or not

And how united really are shit

Jurgen Klopp

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21504 on: December 13, 2013, 11:59:34 pm »
They will only tell us where we are after the next few games

Personally I think after the transfer window has been done and the new players everywhere are in and settled then we will see.

Middle/end of Feb

The nextfew weeks will be about the media and how they can go on about Arsenals wheels coming off or not, and about our title challenge fading away or not

And how united really are shit

Don,t think media will have a story as fancy us get four or six points from next two. then they will be writing a very different story hopefully

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21505 on: December 14, 2013, 12:04:59 am »
City are odds on to win even though they are 6 points behind you

That tells you what the true story is. Money never lies

Youre not winning the league but youre guaranteed top 4 I think, be happy with that

Jurgen Klopp

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21506 on: December 14, 2013, 12:10:06 am »
City are odds on to win even though they are 6 points behind you

That tells you what the true story is. Money never lies

Youre not winning the league but youre guaranteed top 4 I think, be happy with that

Of course we can win the league . we got loads of depth and did not even us pod, ox, wilshire, walcott, sagna midweek. five points at the top shows that.

I don,t think money never lies. otherwise spurs would not have finished ahead of city to finish in champion league spot in 2009.

I think we got great chance to win, go nine ahead of city and pull clear of the rest. lets do it.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21507 on: December 14, 2013, 12:12:30 am »
Of course we can win the league . we got loads of depth and did not even us pod, ox, wilshire, walcott, sagna midweek. five points at the top shows that.

I don,t think money never lies. otherwise spurs would not have finished ahead of city to finish in champion league spot in 2009.

I think we got great chance to win, go nine ahead of city and pull clear of the rest. lets do it.

Well there you are. Opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one

At least your not a manc so best of luck to you

Jurgen Klopp

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21508 on: December 14, 2013, 12:18:09 am »
Well there you are. Opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one

At least your not a manc so best of luck to you

Thanks mate and fair play to you. hope you get top four ahead of spurs, united. Hope you batter spurs on sunday.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21509 on: December 14, 2013, 12:22:03 am »
Thanks mate and fair play to you. hope you get top four ahead of spurs, united. Hope you batter spurs on sunday.

Cheers mate.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline gooner1

• intelligence0
  • Kopite
« Reply #21510 on: December 14, 2013, 12:23:49 am »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #21511 on: December 14, 2013, 01:01:25 am »
No we weren't. We were going top until Dortmund scored.

I know - posted it the wrong way round, then my phone died. The point was that it was an incredibly volatile group that was decided between three teams who could have won the group or gone out.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline ar66

• Clueless, cringeworthy, chromium-plated cretin.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #21512 on: December 14, 2013, 01:40:35 am »
If you already *know* whats coming, how about you just don't watch any more Champions League football this season and don't post on the internet about it anymore.

Well, it's the cold hard facts. I mean some deluded Arsenal fans actually thought we stood a chance against Bayern last year. I've been saying consistently since the Bayern draw that there was no way we will get through, it annoyed the hell out of a few Arsenal supporters but why do I care? Facts are facts. Realistically we had no chance and I have every right to say when I think we will not succeed, if you have a problem with that, complain to somebody who cares, ok?

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21513 on: December 14, 2013, 02:02:24 am »
ok?
You just love that pedantic question don't you?

Offline ar66

• Clueless, cringeworthy, chromium-plated cretin.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #21514 on: December 14, 2013, 02:10:41 am »
You just love that pedantic question don't you?
Was that meant to be rhetorical? :)

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21515 on: December 14, 2013, 02:40:19 am »
I meant bayern beat them 3-1 at their place. we six points ahead of them and although it be very tough we can go nine points clear of them. lets do it lads.
You're comparing yourselves to Bayern Munich now?
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21516 on: December 14, 2013, 03:06:41 am »
Oh man I want City to win 5-0 just to see goonersb reaction.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #21517 on: December 14, 2013, 03:09:38 am »
Oh man I want City to win 5-0 just to see goonersb reaction.

BOOOOOOOOO WENGER OUT SPEND SOME FAAAAAAAACKING MONEY
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
« Reply #21518 on: December 14, 2013, 03:11:17 am »
Well, it's the cold hard facts. I mean some deluded Arsenal fans actually thought we stood a chance against Bayern last year. I've been saying consistently since the Bayern draw that there was no way we will get through, it annoyed the hell out of a few Arsenal supporters but why do I care? Facts are facts. Realistically we had no chance and I have every right to say when I think we will not succeed, if you have a problem with that, complain to somebody who cares, ok?

Except its not a fact until it actually happens (no matter how brilliant you believe your predictive ability to be).  Its fine to have an opinion. Its even better to know when your opinion is exactly that and not fact.

Offline Sol-89

• Kopite
  • O Eboue, Eboue, wherefore art thou Eboue?
« Reply #21519 on: December 14, 2013, 12:44:49 pm »
My call on Walcott for Cazorla was right! Happy with that lineup, got some solid options on the bench.