Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5784132 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #47080 on: January 5, 2018, 04:25:47 pm »
On the plus side, he can now join Weah’s inauguration.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47081 on: January 5, 2018, 04:28:50 pm »
What did Wenger say to get banned?
« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 04:30:49 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #47082 on: January 6, 2018, 02:50:52 am »

That the penalty decision was wrong, and against him again.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #47083 on: January 6, 2018, 02:55:19 am »
See even when the managers try point out the faults of the ref they’re punished for it.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #47084 on: January 6, 2018, 05:19:14 am »
Three game touchline ban for Wenger.

This is ridiculous.   You have to speak to the media, but in doing so, you can't ever criticize the FA, or the refs for they are truly infallible.

I wonder if you could sue the FA in a court of law the suppressing the right of speech or something like that?  Bunch of c*nts going through a power trip.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47085 on: January 6, 2018, 05:53:34 am »
Three game touchline ban for Wenger.

Good news for Arsenal

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47086 on: January 7, 2018, 12:53:36 pm »
Is it true that Wenger wants to become a member of the board when he steps down? If it's not just a rumor, then it sounds like a very bad idea. You could argue that he should've stepped down after they won the FA Cup. How smart is it to have him lurking in the shadows when a new manager takes on the difficult task to replace him?

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47087 on: January 7, 2018, 05:55:06 pm »
Genuine questions for everyone in this thread:

If Danny Welbeck was put up for transfer, what teams would want him in their squad?

Watching this game, he is even a level below the teenager Forest striker. I have never seen him make a purposeful difference in a premier league game. I can only imagine he is still at Arsenal because they cannot find a premiership team to take him, nor can they find a team in the Championship.

This, for a player, that United fans once compared to Sturridge. Arsenal fans, too, once they purchased him.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #47088 on: January 7, 2018, 05:56:47 pm »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47089 on: January 7, 2018, 05:56:59 pm »

If Danny Welbeck was put up for transfer, what teams would want him in their squad?

Watching this game, he is even a level below the teenager Forest striker. I have never seen him make a purposeful difference in a premier league game. I can only imagine he is still at Arsenal because they cannot find a premiership team to take him, nor can they find a team in the Championship.

This, for a player, that United fans once compared to Sturridge. Arsenal fans, too, once they purchased him.

He's not that bad. Injuries have ruined him though.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #47090 on: January 7, 2018, 05:58:41 pm »
Is it true that Wenger wants to become a member of the board when he steps down? If it's not just a rumor, then it sounds like a very bad idea. You could argue that he should've stepped down after they won the FA Cup. How smart is it to have him lurking in the shadows when a new manager takes on the difficult task to replace him?

He should have left a few seasons ago when he won the FA Cup. If he does stay as a board member now, it will be like when Busby stepped down at Manchester United

Some lower midtable side would definitely want him. Massively injury-prone, despite a  good work ethic. But has never been a prolific scorer

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47091 on: January 7, 2018, 06:03:00 pm »
Oh dear Arsenal. Got exactly what they deserved putting that awful team out.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #47092 on: January 7, 2018, 06:04:59 pm »
Wow Mertesacker, lawd have mercy.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47093 on: January 7, 2018, 06:07:11 pm »
He's not that bad. Injuries have ruined him though.

Yeah he was actually alright - not Sturridge good, but decent enough for Man Utd and always looked good for England. When Arsenal bought him I thought it was a really astute signing - they needed a hard runner to complement all the tika taka fancy dans they'd collected. Didn't work out that way (injuries as you say) but he wasn't bad back in the day.

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47094 on: January 7, 2018, 06:08:12 pm »
Wow Mertesacker, lawd have mercy.

Genuinely past it.

Think Arsenal are where United were a couple of seasons ago, with an ageing squad and iconic manager on the way out. Luckily for the neutrals - such as us, of course  - their star players also seem to be going to their rivals. Ox to Liverpool, Sanchez to City, Ozil to United perhaps being the most outlandish of the three.

No one wants to be there anymore. How the "mighty" have fallen.

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47095 on: January 7, 2018, 06:10:48 pm »
Yeah he was actually alright - not Sturridge good, but decent enough for Man Utd and always looked good for England. When Arsenal bought him I thought it was a really astute signing - they needed a hard runner to complement all the tika taka fancy dans they'd collected. Didn't work out that way (injuries as you say) but he wasn't bad back in the day.

I'm willing to take your word on it mate, but as I said, I don't remember ever really seeing him make a purposeful difference in a game.

He may be a hard runner who can break the defense with those runs, but the quality really wasn't there. I couldn't believe Arsenal took him on - thought it was another of their bargain basement appeasement signings when Giroud was getting stick from the fans.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47096 on: January 7, 2018, 06:13:27 pm »
I'm willing to take your word on it mate, but as I said, I don't remember ever really seeing him make a purposeful difference in a game.

He may be a hard runner who can break the defense with those runs, but the quality really wasn't there. I couldn't believe Arsenal took him on - thought it was another of their bargain basement appeasement signings when Giroud was getting stick from the fans.

A little harsh, sure he's scored a couple of winners for them in big games against his former side

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #47097 on: January 7, 2018, 06:13:43 pm »

Back in what day?

When he was scoring 1 league goal in a season for Utd?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47098 on: January 7, 2018, 06:15:52 pm »
I'd be really perplexed if they keep Wenger beyond this season.
He looks finished, jaded, tired and out of ideas - and his team is going nowhere.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47099 on: January 7, 2018, 06:17:00 pm »

Yeah I don't think he was ever a game changer type player, but I think of that Shankly piano quote when assessing him "8 players to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - I saw him as one of the 8 who'd make the runs and do the pressing (and chip in with the odd goal) whilst RvP, Rooneh & Hernandez or Sanchez, Ozil and Walcott would play it. Quite useful basically but nothing to tell the grandkids about.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2018, 06:25:23 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #47100 on: January 7, 2018, 06:20:27 pm »
I'd be really perplexed if they keep Wenger beyond this season.
He looks finished, jaded, tired and out of ideas - and his team is going nowhere.

Who's firing Wenger?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47101 on: January 7, 2018, 06:21:41 pm »
Back in what day?

When he was scoring 1 league goal in a season for Utd?

Got double figures for them on a couple of occasions and had a decent strike rate at international level. His role in the team was to facilitate his more talented team mates. 8 to carry the piano, 3 to play it.

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47102 on: January 7, 2018, 06:24:06 pm »
A little harsh, sure he's scored a couple of winners for them in big games against his former side

I remember that. I described it as never seeing him make a "purposeful" difference, in part because many of the contributions he does make seems to be accidental in some way - or even just bare luck.

The goal against ManU was a gift, where all he had to do 1v1 with the keeper is not fuck it up. It wasn't his skill or technique that got him the goal.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47103 on: January 7, 2018, 06:28:20 pm »
Oh dear. What a shame.

Nevermind. ;D

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47104 on: January 7, 2018, 06:28:35 pm »
Yeah I don't think he was ever a game changer type player, but I think of that Shankly quote when assessing him "8 players to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - I saw him as one of the 8 who'd make the runs and do the pressing (and chip in with the odd goal) whilst RvP, Rooneh & Hernandez or Sanchez, Ozil and Walcott would play it. Quite useful basically but nothing to tell the grandkids about.

He's given some solid performances, he was key in a few Champions League games where his pressing and runs down the wing gave the side to release pressure.  I wouldn't say he's dreadful, but hasn't been in the side for months (years?) and leading the attack against a motivation team was always going to be difficult.

My first reaction to seeing the line-up was that this is a recipe for a loss, as it has been in the past, where you wheel out a bunch of inexperienced/rusty squad players who really ought to be playing to gain fitness, instead being put in a game which is a 'must win' for the opposition. If you look at how Spurs put out a solid lineup with one or two players, it's clear we didn't take the cup as seriously as we should, being as it is one of our best sources of silverware this season.

Who's firing Wenger?

He's going nowhere, he'll go when he wants to go, which may be at the end of his contract.  The option would be that the club doesn't offer him a renewal, but even that seems unlikely. 

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47105 on: January 7, 2018, 06:31:17 pm »
The talent coming through the academy or rather the lack of it would worry me if I was an Arsenal fan. Wenger's still giving chances to them every now and again but none of them seem that good to be honest. Work needs to be done there I reckon.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #47106 on: January 7, 2018, 06:31:54 pm »
Arsnel fan tv meltdown incoming. ;D
#Sausages

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47107 on: January 7, 2018, 06:33:45 pm »

My first reaction to seeing the line-up was that this is a recipe for a loss, as it has been in the past, where you wheel out a bunch of inexperienced/rusty squad players who really ought to be playing to gain fitness, instead being put in a game which is a 'must win' for the opposition. If you look at how Spurs put out a solid lineup with one or two players, it's clear we didn't take the cup as seriously as we should, being as it is one of our best sources of silverware this season.

Don't you think this was Arsenal's 4th priority at the moment?

League Cup is very winnable (given how clinical you guys are in semis and finals these days), Europa is probably more achievable & desirable and 4th place is up for grabs and vital (sorry traditionalists!).

Not saying Arsene's glad to not have the distraction, but if I was in his shoes I'd have this 4th priority out of 4.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47108 on: January 7, 2018, 06:34:23 pm »
Genuinely past it.

Think Arsenal are where United were a couple of seasons ago, with an ageing squad and iconic manager on the way out. Luckily for the neutrals - such as us, of course  - their star players also seem to be going to their rivals. Ox to Liverpool, Sanchez to City, Ozil to United perhaps being the most outlandish of the three.

I'd say this is a feature of the inertia which seems to have occurred due to Wenger's will I stay/go now routine for a few seasons now.  If the board and the manager came out and said they were looking to transition manager within the next 5 years, the club could make signings with this in mind - however the board sanctioning big money for Wenger's signings will only occur if they believe they will fit into the next manager's plans, whoever they have drawn up.  This season may be a sticking point as it genuinely looks like Ozil and Sanchez will leave (why wouldn't they, if they can secure the same wages elsewhere), whilst the robustness of the team against similar or better teams has once again shown to be poor.

As for Ox, £40m for him was a decent deal for both parties, he was a long way from star player, yet I wish him well at Liverpool and he looks to be playing him into a run of form.  In my mind Klopp is making a lot of the talent he has, exciting the players and the fans, whereas speaking as a long term Arsenal fan, there is quite a lot of apathy from most of the fanbase which seems to be seeping into the performances on the pitch.

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47109 on: January 7, 2018, 06:36:54 pm »
Was looking into some Welbeck compilations to remind me of his former glories, and came across this ALy Cissokho-lite highlight reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lr6SnCE5nY

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47110 on: January 7, 2018, 06:37:10 pm »
it was our lowest priority, given how many times we've won it in recent years and where we are in other cups, but we still should have played a stronger line up, if possible. Can't moan too much about fa cup losses because we've been spoilt in it, but it does highlight some glaring issues in our squad.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #47111 on: January 7, 2018, 06:38:00 pm »
They got knocked out by a team who have two more European Cups than they will ever have. So hardly a shock 😂😂😂
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline devlin_adl

• Main Stander
« Reply #47112 on: January 7, 2018, 06:38:27 pm »
Doesn’t say much about the quality of the reserves.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47113 on: January 7, 2018, 06:41:24 pm »
Don't you think this was Arsenal's 4th priority at the moment?

League Cup is very winnable (given how clinical you guys are in semis and finals these days), Europa is probably more achievable & desirable and 4th place is up for grabs and vital (sorry traditionalists!).

Not saying Arsene's glad to not have the distraction, but if I was in his shoes I'd have this 4th priority out of 4.

I don't doubt you need to rest players somewhere, especially when the schedule has been ridiculous and we're now playing Chelsea in 3 days with a solid chance to get another trophy .. But it is more a shame that you end up with a mix-match team, and a result you'd otherwise have avoided were it not for the other fixture. 

It doesn't end up as a fixture in isolation, of which team is better than which other team, but whether the 2nd or 3rd string can pull a result out, because the better players are needed in another fixture.  It doesn't make for compelling viewing.

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47114 on: January 7, 2018, 06:50:42 pm »
I'd say this is a feature of the inertia which seems to have occurred due to Wenger's will I stay/go now routine for a few seasons now.  If the board and the manager came out and said they were looking to transition manager within the next 5 years, the club could make signings with this in mind - however the board sanctioning big money for Wenger's signings will only occur if they believe they will fit into the next manager's plans, whoever they have drawn up.  This season may be a sticking point as it genuinely looks like Ozil and Sanchez will leave (why wouldn't they, if they can secure the same wages elsewhere), whilst the robustness of the team against similar or better teams has once again shown to be poor.

As for Ox, £40m for him was a decent deal for both parties, he was a long way from star player, yet I wish him well at Liverpool and he looks to be playing him into a run of form.  In my mind Klopp is making a lot of the talent he has, exciting the players and the fans, whereas speaking as a long term Arsenal fan, there is quite a lot of apathy from most of the fanbase which seems to be seeping into the performances on the pitch.

Yeah, Ox isn't the same level of 'star player' as the other two mentioned, but I think his leaving signals something more insidious about where the playing staff and perhaps the fans feel the team is heading.

In relation to your other point, I've mentioned in the past about how I believe the stay/go routine and it's pressure on the team is only compounded by the toxicity of the FanTV segment of your fanbase. Those faces that you see on those youtube vids are unfortunately becoming a driving force of opinion amongst your support, and I'd wager their extreme opinions on Wenger, the board and the players are compounding the downfall.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #47115 on: January 7, 2018, 07:03:55 pm »
Arsenal. :lmao :lmao

Good win that for Forest. Arsenal Fam TV should be fun.  ;D
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47116 on: January 7, 2018, 07:11:16 pm »
This is ridiculous.   You have to speak to the media, but in doing so, you can't ever criticize the FA, or the refs for they are truly infallible.

I wonder if you could sue the FA in a court of law the suppressing the right of speech or something like that?  Bunch of c*nts going through a power trip.

You couldn't sue them on those grounds since the UK doesn't have any inherent freedom of speech laws that they would be breaking.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47117 on: January 7, 2018, 07:17:49 pm »
That the penalty decision was wrong, and against him again.

Wasn't it slightly more than that - he was insinuating that there was an FA agenda against Arsenal? Not saying it's ban worthy, or even that he's wrong, but it's a much more serious allegation than just saying the penalty decision was wrong again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42561476

As has been mentioned though, if it means he gets to go to Weah's inauguration it's a good thing. Some things are bigger than football.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47118 on: January 7, 2018, 07:32:08 pm »
FA cup is boring anyway, always the same team that wins it.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47119 on: January 7, 2018, 07:46:41 pm »
Arsenal fan tv vids just up, excellent as always