Author Topic: This is the year... (mentioned in the Sunday Times)  (Read 43875 times)

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
Re: This is the year...
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 02:26:01 am »
Just re-read that and I get the distinct impression you're coming out right?

seriously though great piece :)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 03:22:28 am »
I have doubts over a title challenge, but nonetheless an immense post that has raised my hopes a bit.  :)

Offline Carras Left Foot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 04:45:34 am »
Great post, George Michael being involved made me piss myself laughing

Offline zicrayfish

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 06:13:22 am »
awesome post!
Thanks for that, really needed a big lift.
you beauty - what a hit son, what a hit
OOOOOHHH YOUUU BEAUTTYYY!!- What a hit son, what a hit!
Liverpool 3-1 Olympiakos

Offline liverpool_kimak

• Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 06:25:33 am »
I am sure we all needed this lift.. Really awesome and cracking post L6!! Now lets get that elusive no. 19!!!! COME ON YOU REDMEN

Offline Gee, Stevie

• whinging aussie... why oh why oh why?....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nummer neunzehn, bitte
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2008, 07:39:02 am »
Nice post mate, I'm still torn between hoping the Mancs don't get another title and hoping our c*nts of owners fuck off, at the moment I can't see a good way out of this. We win the league and everyones happy thus prolonging their welcome, getting some people back onside and even encouraging more knobheads to follow us. Maybe I should be happy in that situation but I just can't see it.

Not the first time all that's crossed me mind mate. How fucked up are things, when that thought pops into your head when ya contemplate lifting 19? Shouldn't be that way, but these are strange times.

Its because you support LFC in a a way that is completely different to me.  Obviously that means I think you support LFC in a really, really weird way.  How you could feel anything but the ultimate joy a football fan could feel when we win no. 19 (especially if this season) is beyond me.

I know these are "strange times", but if you really feel that way we really feel differently about LFC.  Understandible though.

FORGOT TO SAY... Ripping post.  Can't believe how confident I am now and how much I'm looking forward to the season starting with Keane (& hopefully Barry AND Alonso) in the squad.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 07:49:53 am »
Curse you L6 Red. You've got me all optimistic about the league again!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 08:00:56 am »
First off, fantastic read mate - really enjoyable. But this comment afterwards.

We're not letting those bastards reach 18 without the scrap of our lives.

I'd love it to be true, I really would. But I've got caught out that way so many times when I expect the players to really care and they come out looking half arsed. And that's as recently as last season because in that horrible spell I never thought we were that out of form in our play. The attitude was all wrong.

I don't blame Rafa for that, but I think sadly we have a few in our squad who perhaps aren't overly keen on his methods. And once they got a sniff of blood and the title was out of reach they certainly didn't cover themselves in glory.

This is my major worry this season, not that we don't have the quality - like you I think we're making valuable additions again to an already strong squad. But that there's too many in our squad that want everything their way, who know this will probably be Rafa's last season if we underachieve. If the going does get tough, there's a few there who might not get going. Because I don't think they'll be thinking 'we've got to scrap for our lives to get to 19/stop the Mancs getting 18' like we will, but rather thinking about themselves.

This is probably just because I'm not so much one who expected a nintendo, but one who always convinced myself I was getting a nintendo in spite of the facts. I've always been an optimist, but I just can't bring myself to it yet this year. Hopes have just been dashed too often.

No reflection on Rafa at all on my part, but there's a kind of inevitability about him going if we don't come very close this year - and that doesn't help my optimistic nature.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 08:05:50 am »
We're not letting those bastards reach 18 without the scrap of our lives.

THAT and that alone is the only motivation we need...... WE MUST FUCKING FIGHT TO THE VERY END.
Do we go and claim what is ours.....or do we give up our record without so much of a whimper.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:27 am »
Enjoyed that mate, well written and thought through and showing that there is lots of genuine cause for optimism.

THAT and that alone is the only motivation we need...... WE MUST FUCKING FIGHT TO THE VERY END.
Do we go and claim what is ours.....or do we give up our record without so much of a whimper.
13 Sep, 2008   Manchester United   Barclays Premier League   H   12:45

I know that each game is important and all that but our lads should give us a good indication of whether they are up for it on the 13th of September.  I'm betting on that being a landmark day in this season.  If we beat that lot, then we are really talking.

Offline LUCASzade

• Main Stander
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2008, 08:30:01 am »
What Barry does better than those two (Alonso & Mascherano) however is break up play

Stopped reading here, was already bored of the pointless console references but this took the piss

Mascherano breaks play up a lot better than Gaz Baz

Offline forrest1980

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 08:31:52 am »
Rio Ferdinands missus went into Labour last night. Martin Skrtel's getting hungrier for No. 19 by the minute and by that i mean for his 19th "baby" to EAT, not 19th League Title !

Great post. I just hope aswell as our 19th League Title being under my Christmas tree i finally get my TRANSFORMERS WATCH that my mother and father so reluctantly didn't get me during the 85/86 season when i was 5 years old  :no ! Still cuts me up to this day, EVEN more than the Dirty Mancs possibly equalling our fine record !

In FACT. I have many "possibilites" just like Rafa will to help us achieve our goal so screw it. I'm going to Ebay that Watch just like Rafa would !  ;D Come on Rafa, this is a CALL TO ARMS !

Come On You Redmen
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:43:28 am by forrest1980 »
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw , don't support us when we win" - Bill Shankly.......the best quote the great man ever said.

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2008, 08:40:25 am »
Good post, I also hope we can make a more powerful challenge this year.
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline pragmatic

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2008, 08:44:49 am »
I had a dream the other night that we won the premiership, it was as clear as day even with SG lifting the trophy. My dreams can be a little strange at times I dreamt we were beaten 2-1 by a team in white in the 2k7 Champs league final my dream told me that it was Barcelona who beat us, I also dreamt we won the 2005 final 3-2 (final pen shootout) against a team in white and my dream told me it was also Barcelona. Funny things dreams !!!
Football is a game in which a handful of fit men run around for one and a half hours watched by millions of people who could really use the exercise.`

Offline Vinny1892

• Main Stander
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2008, 08:55:31 am »

The signing of Keane raises questions regarding who'll be dropped to the bench. Whoever that may be, it doesn't really matter, because they'll be in good company. The new seven-sub rule has been brought in beginning this season and we're in the best position to take advantage of it. Can any other team match a bench of, for example...

Cavalieri, Hyypia, Skrtel, Benayoun, Babel, N'Gog, Voronin/Nemeth

If team was e.g. (4-1-2-1-2) Reina; Degen, Carra, Agger, Dossena; Masch; Gerrard, Barry; Babel; Torres, Keane

Then bench could be: Cavalieri, Skrtel, Arbeloa, Alonso, Benayoun, Kuyt, N'Gog. That gives cover for every position on the pitch. And we still have Sami, Aurelio, Insua, Plessis, Lucas, Pacheco, Voronin, Nemeth etc to come in as well as possibly Finnan and Pennant if they stay.

Offline AlexOB7

• Main Stander
  • Kopite
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2008, 09:01:33 am »
BJONJOR got it right for me.

I like the optimism and all, but can't help thinking that we're still a fair way off.

+ saying weve got babel and theyve got Eagles isnt exactly right - weve got Babel, theyve got Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani, Park, Rooney + then maybe Eagles who can play in that position. I would say our squad/bench is pretty weak for this coming season, yet this time (i think) we have a pretty settled first team.

I think we will improve on last season - 3rd/4th in the league, a trip to wembley, and we could go all the way in the CL.
Believe 08-09

Offline rutlandred

• Kopite
  • SOS
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2008, 09:06:53 am »
Brilliant post,

I'm optimistic about next season and see the Keane signing as being vital to us pushing for the title.  Barry would be a welcomed addition but for that price.....

The one thing that fff's me off about the team the most is when they take to the pitch and don't seem up for it, they swan about for 60 minutes, we find ourselves going down 1-0 d then decide to switch on, it's like rafa is playing Careless Whisper to the lads in the changing room before the match..!! 

It's all about putting you heart and soul into every game for this club.  What did somebody once say about running through brick walls..?

I'm thinking what we need is someone like Sammy Lee to get the lads bouncing on the pitch again with a good few war stories of times gone by thrown in to get the lads hungry...someone who is out to prove a personal point to a lot of critics and more importantly someone who has the belief in their red heart.

This is the year.

( PS...Ebay doesn't have any Blu-Ray I-phone DVD vibrators which hum zipee-de-doo-dah as you shove it up your minge...Currys..? )

Thanks for the post

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:14 am »
Awesome post - I too have an inexplicable hunch - We are Liverpool

Come On Redmen

YNWA

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:57 am »
Top opening post.

I still think we're third favourites, but with a bit of flux at Chelsea and Ronaldo either leaving or, at least, unfit for the start of the season and potentially elsewhere mentally, I think we may be able to get a jump on the favourites if we start well, then who knows what momentum can do? We have a thicker squad than Arsenal and are better equipped to sustain a title challenge if we can muster one.

This line was beautifully eloquent...

For anyone who complains that we need to sign 'world class wingers' are missing two vital components of that: one, there aren't any around; and secondly, we don't play with wingers.
...but I would add, neither does anybody else. Stanley Matthews retired 43 years ago.

And for those of you who think United do, I suggest you actually watch them and see how many times Ronaldo hugs the byeline and whips a cross in versus how often he cuts inside, or pops up down the middle or on the left.

The modern game at the top level is about versatile, gamebreaking attacking players who play inside left and right or centrally in the hole. Yes, they can drift wide into 'winger' territory, but by and large this is the role of the attacking full back, whose defensive duties are usually covered by either the 3rd central defender or the second holding midfielder.

Should Keane sign, we have a good variety of versatile players, all with different attributes:

Babel - Power, pace, blistering shot, moderate (but hopefully improving) goal threat
Keane - Intelligence, incisive passing, calm finishing, big goal threat
Benayoun - Intelligence, good feet, incisive passing, good 'continuity', calm finishing, moderate goal threat
Gerrard - all of the above, massive goal threat.

All of the above can play in any of the 3 roles off Torres. I have not included Kuyt as I am not yet convinced he is of the requisite quality, but he is another option. I have not included Pacheco or Nemeth because I think they will be used sparingly if at all. I have not included Voronin and I will let you work out why.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2008, 09:31:15 am »
Should Keane sign, we have a good variety of versatile players, all with different attributes:

Babel - Power, pace, blistering shot, moderate (but hopefully improving) goal threat
Keane - Intelligence, incisive passing, calm finishing, big goal threat
Benayoun - Intelligence, good feet, incisive passing, good 'continuity', calm finishing, moderate goal threat
Gerrard - all of the above, massive goal threat.

But at least three of those are probably more effective playing in the center than out wide. "Wingers" or not, how many top-class players do we have whose preferred position is on the flanks, compared to United?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:32:53 am by Bjornar »

royhendo

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 10:18:41 am »
while we're on the Xmas theme, let me don my Ebeneezer Scrooge hat for a moment...

this is exactly the kind of thinking that might hamstring our long-term progress (which has continued year-on-year under Rafa, regardless of the neverending sequence of boardroom catastrophes and signing debacles that have hindered him).

"this year i expect the league" is exactly what leads to the mass knee-jerk calls for Rafa's removal down the line if things don't go exactly to plan, and that's precisely what we need to avoid at all costs. we have a sh_tstorm behind the scenes that badly affects our club's finances, but even in those conditions, Rafa and his staff have a sophisticated 3-tier plan in place that's going to ensure we can still improve and win trophies when times are tight and the banks are on the blower asking for their interest payments. we have a sophisticated set-up in place and we need continuity.

that's why Carragher's call to 'challenge' is more sensible. in case you haven't noticed, we don't seem to be getting Gareth Barry, and we've been unable to get one or two other first-choice picks in the not too distant past. this might be rafa's squad, but in quality terms we've got a year or two to go before we reach the level you're hinting at here - we still have the odd chink in our armour. i'd not hold Cavaieri out as an unqualified success just yet, for example.

Rafa and his staff need enough time to demonstrate the results of the youth pipeline. i for one won't be demanding justifications until the likes of Pepper and Dalla Valle reach age 21-22. then the plan will have been seen through its first cycle, and we'll be in a genuine position to judge its effectiveness. the results thus far are impressive - everyone's agreed that Pacheco and Nemeth are exciting prospects. give it time and let's keep our heads on, cos unqualified expectation is a dangerous thing.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 10:20:37 am »
Good post that mate, nice read.

Wish i shared your optimism to be honest. Although i think we might challenge this season i just cant see us winning it. Think you've got the old rose tinted glasses on somewhat when comparing our bench with United and Chelsea's as well. You can pick out two comparisons that make ours look stronger but it can equally go the other way.

I agree that Barry and Keane (if they sign) will be two top signings, im not sure they are worth the figures being quoted mind, but top signings nonetheless and i believe they will both have a positive effect on our team (Keane especially).

We will need to start the season with a bang though if we are to have a realistic shot at the league. No no-shows and 0-0 draws in games we should really win, no slack marking/defending gifting soft goals.

I hope the new lads (the full backs especially) settle in quickly. On top of that we need Masch and Babel to come back from the Olympics in one peice. If all of that happens and we have won the games they missed, well, we'll see i guess.

I cant think of anything i want more than to see us taking the title back where it belongs come may, i just cant see it at the minute. Maybe its because ive never seen us win the league, maybe its becuase ive never really seen us genuinely challenge and as a result im just a bit sceptical. Ive gotten carried away before and had it bite me in the ass, this time therefore im going to take it one game at a time, the same mentality i hope our players have.

Roll on the 1st game of the season. 3 points please and then move on...
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline NasEscobar

• Shirt fetishist
  • Legacy Fan
  • See you at the Barricades babe.
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 10:28:46 am »
But at least three of those are probably more effective playing in the center than out wide. "Wingers" or not, how many top-class players do we have whose preferred position is on the flanks, compared to United?

Who provides United's width though? I'd argue it's not usually any of their attacking Trio - Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez, but more the fullbacks. Of their forwards and midfield Giggs, Ronaldo and Park are the only genuine widemen and Ronaldo spends half his time as a centre forward. With Keane Torres and Kuyt/Babel that's pretty similar to what we'd be playing. Match 'em up front like we do in the middle and we'll be a threat.
Check me out y'all, Nasty Nas in your area, About to cause mass Hysteria.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 10:31:31 am »
while we're on the Xmas theme, let me don my Ebeneezer Scrooge hat for a moment...

Good post.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves and then start demanding changes if our inflated expectations are not met.

Confidence, expectation and realism all need to be evident this season.
We need to challenge first and foremost, if that happens then lets take it from there.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline lourdes

• Anny Roader
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 11:08:12 am »
Curse you L6 Red. You've got me all optimistic about the league again!

Exactly!!!

Offline Bazmeen

• Anny Roader
  • Let me tell you the story of a poor boy
    • Dollymount FC - Official Site
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 11:53:07 am »
absolutely cracking post mate !

Fair play
Fuck the Meek.................The Meek aint gonna inherit shit !

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 12:06:41 pm »
The modern game at the top level is about versatile, gamebreaking attacking players who play inside left and right or centrally in the hole. Yes, they can drift wide into 'winger' territory, but by and large this is the role of the attacking full back, whose defensive duties are usually covered by either the 3rd central defender or the second holding midfielder.

United's top class 'wingers' are who exactly? Don't say Ronaldo. He is not a winger - he is a powerful, gamebreaking, goalscoring attacking midfielder who plays completely loosely.

United's attacking quality comes predominantly from Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez, who all play right across the line but none of whom actually play 'out wide,' plus quality footballers in central midfield.

Their width is provided by full backs, particularly on the left where Evra is an exceptional attacking fullback.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 12:28:02 pm »
Great post. I just hope aswell as our 19th League Title being under my Christmas tree i finally get my TRANSFORMERS WATCH that my mother and father so reluctantly didn't get me during the 85/86 season when i was 5 years old  :no ! Still cuts me up to this day, EVEN more than the Dirty Mancs possibly equalling our fine record !

I feel your pain mate, I asked for a computer and got an At-At instead, wouldn't mind but I didn't even ask for one. Also got a letter from Santa explaining why. Apparently he had a bit of a bad back so couldn't carry a computer. Maybe the bad back is down to you stuffing your face with my mums mince pies you big fat fucking fuck!!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:29:41 pm by The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society »
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 12:36:36 pm »
To be fair, the 'expectation' I wrote isn't really one...

what leads to the mass knee-jerk calls for Rafa's removal down the line if things don't go exactly to plan, and that's precisely what we need to avoid at all costs.

It is more one where me, personally, as a Liverpool fan, expects to win the league. Perhaps the phrase 'been very confident of' would have been better. As I said, the only time I've thought we'll win the league was back in 02/03 and we all know what happened there. This time though, I really think we will, and there's nothing wrong with optimism?

I'd never put pressure on Rafa and if we don't, then he's still got a lot of things at this football club which he wants to bring to fruition. Just look at the reserve and youth squad for that.

Offline Sub

• Has a duck like a chicken
  • Legacy Fan
  • For sure.
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2008, 12:41:37 pm »
Brilliant post! You can say that you read the same thing every year blah blah and it never comes true, but seriously you can't say that reading posts like that don't get you all excited.

And if you can then you smell.

Come on you reds...

george michael lolzzzz
'Football is a lie' - Rafael Benitez.

Offline Guaranga

• not happy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2008, 01:50:58 pm »
George fuckin Michael.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »
Brilliant post!!

Come on you Reds... :hally
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2008, 01:53:29 pm »
George fuckin Michael.

Couldn't help it, it was on me mum's playlist. Honest.

Offline Guaranga

• not happy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2008, 02:04:44 pm »
Couldn't help it, it was on me mum's playlist. Honest.

:)

royhendo

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2008, 03:03:59 pm »
To be fair, the 'expectation' I wrote isn't really one...

It is more one where me, personally, as a Liverpool fan, expects to win the league. Perhaps the phrase 'been very confident of' would have been better. As I said, the only time I've thought we'll win the league was back in 02/03 and we all know what happened there. This time though, I really think we will, and there's nothing wrong with optimism?

I'd never put pressure on Rafa and if we don't, then he's still got a lot of things at this football club which he wants to bring to fruition. Just look at the reserve and youth squad for that.

Sorry for being a cantankerous tw_t mate - it was a great read regardless :D

Offline Kop

• Anny Roader
  • Lurky McLurker
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2008, 03:49:05 pm »
I can't bring myself to believe.  My family moved away from the area when I was 4.  I heard stories of the 70's and watched our success in the 80's from military bases and then London. We moved back in 1990 and I have always kind of blamed my 'coming home' and being able to actually go the game on our lack of league success! ;)

Great post but until I emigrate to Canada, I'll have to stick with hoping rather than believing.
Once bitten twice shy.

NEVER trust a known LIAR.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2008, 04:25:59 pm »
Very good read for this hungover morning

I see that university is treating you nicely
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2008, 05:54:20 pm »

this is exactly the kind of thinking that might hamstring our long-term progress (which has continued year-on-year under Rafa, regardless of the neverending sequence of boardroom catastrophes and signing debacles that have hindered him).

"this year i expect the league" is exactly what leads to the mass knee-jerk calls for Rafa's removal down the line if things don't go exactly to plan, and that's precisely what we need to avoid at all costs. we have a sh_tstorm behind the scenes that badly affects our club's finances, but even in those conditions, Rafa and his staff have a sophisticated 3-tier plan in place that's going to ensure we can still improve and win trophies when times are tight and the banks are on the blower asking for their interest payments. we have a sophisticated set-up in place and we need continuity.

that's why Carragher's call to 'challenge' is more sensible. in case you haven't noticed, we don't seem to be getting Gareth Barry, and we've been unable to get one or two other first-choice picks in the not too distant past. this might be rafa's squad, but in quality terms we've got a year or two to go before we reach the level you're hinting at here - we still have the odd chink in our armour. i'd not hold Cavaieri out as an unqualified success just yet, for example.

Rafa and his staff need enough time to demonstrate the results of the youth pipeline. i for one won't be demanding justifications until the likes of Pepper and Dalla Valle reach age 21-22. then the plan will have been seen through its first cycle, and we'll be in a genuine position to judge its effectiveness. the results thus far are impressive - everyone's agreed that Pacheco and Nemeth are exciting prospects. give it time and let's keep our heads on, cos unqualified expectation is a dangerous thing.

Finally a top, top post, although the OP is also a good  great read. Rafa needs more time. His vision for us have been hampered thus far for various reasons and yet he's already produced a team that makes us dream even now. He's setting us up in the only way possible to beat the guys with the money to burn (please note the difference between burn and spend) and that should be a clue to how far ahead Rafa's thinking is.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:57:37 pm by RedRush »

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »
Other teams fans laugh at us every year when we say it's "our year", but fuck me when we do win it we'll rub their fuckin noses right in it. Can't wait, come on boys bring home number fuckin 19 this season.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2008, 09:45:39 pm »
We need to make more of a challenge at least, 2 wins against United and no more silly draws at home to lower league opposition should do it!
I am a man of few words.....any questions?