Author Topic: This is the year... (mentioned in the Sunday Times)  (Read 43930 times)

Offline glennjimin

• Boys Pen
Re: This is the year...
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2008, 09:49:58 pm »
Amazing post, I've been trying to convince myself it'll be another season of disapointment but I can't shake this optimism. ;D

I reckon it's gonna depend a lot on Degan and Dossena. If they can get forward and create a bit of space then 'Nando, Keane, Gerrard and Babel should cause havock.

Offline MrPlow

• Super Dick
  • Anny Roader
  • ^^^I have a Super Dick apparently.
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2008, 10:00:10 pm »
Awesome post mate  :)

I don't care how many summers we have been saying it for, "This is our year!!!!"
'You can't have your cake and eat it too'

Seriously, WTF.

If you're not going to let me eat the cake, I will throw it at your smug face you stupid cliche using bastard.

Offline somersetred

• Kopite
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2008, 11:29:04 pm »
Brilliant post

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2008, 11:31:02 pm »
Good read that but for me no chance.  Maybe my optimism is waning due to a lack of challenge in any season in recent memory.  Maybe it'll pick up if we do actually sign a couple of players such as Keane & Barry/whoever.

To date we've signed none of them.

But it's the fact that we've not challenged for the title realistically in years that puts it to bed for me.  If we'd maybe been pipped at the post or at least fallen out at Easter in recent years then maybe optimism would replace pessimism.

Going from also rans at Xmas to champs is just too big a leap.  Same as it is every year.

Good effort re the post though.

Offline vader90

• Legacy Fan
  • The eternal optimist - Everything happens for good
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2008, 12:36:07 am »
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.
Roll up, roll up for the Liverpool FC circus, in town every fucking week.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2008, 01:12:39 am »
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

So what's your opinion?

Offline vader90

• Legacy Fan
  • The eternal optimist - Everything happens for good
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2008, 01:23:00 am »
So what's your opinion?

;D

We will be there or thereabouts. But those lines of Tale of Two cities strike a chord with our season here.
Roll up, roll up for the Liverpool FC circus, in town every fucking week.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2008, 02:14:23 am »
Im telling you right now i would LOVE IT if we win it! but being honest i dont think we can finish anywhere besides 1st  ;D

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2008, 02:21:05 am »
everybody needs to think and stop...
babel time

Offline Tigerheart

• Carroll? He's shit. Henderson? Shit. Adam...shit.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2008, 02:28:38 am »
Listen. We've said next year is our year for 2 decades and it hasnt worked. This time, lets all pretend that we expect to come fourth. And act really shocked if we win in.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2008, 02:41:48 am »
Listen. We've said next year is our year for 2 decades and it hasnt worked. This time, lets all pretend that we expect to come fourth. And act really shocked if we win in.

great plan :D
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Cappadonna

• Main Stander
  • Wuvv.
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2008, 07:40:49 am »
Deja vu x 20.
"Javier Mascherano had to play a friendly for Argentina in Australia. That must have been really important." - Rafael Benitez

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2008, 01:22:18 pm »
Deja vu x 20.

How do you know that when you're only 17 years old?

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2008, 07:40:01 pm »
How do you know that when you're only 17 years old?

:lmao

Past life as a Manc supporter in the 70s and 80s perhaps
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Indian

• Anny Roader
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2008, 09:07:10 pm »
I am not going with any expectations for the season ahead.....
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much,much more important than that. "
-----Bill Shankly -----

Offline Indian

• Anny Roader
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2008, 09:56:53 pm »
Forgot to mention.

Great post mate ....
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much,much more important than that. "
-----Bill Shankly -----

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2008, 10:48:59 pm »
I was thinking of making a similar post just before the start of the season, but this is far more articulate, far more emotive - and probably the best post I've ever read on this site....

And now are you gonna believe us?
Now are you gonna believe us?
Now are you gonna believe us?
We're gonna win the league.
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2008, 12:01:07 am »
One of the best posts i've read for a while..

COME ON YOU REDMEN!

I really hope we get Barry, some don't rate him- but I think he is just what we need. The new wing backs will also have to settle quickly if we are to lay the foundations for a good campaign. I personally hope that Carra plays on the right or in a three across the back made up of Carra- Agger- Srktel.

We won it 5 times........

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2008, 01:04:06 am »
'Kinhell, thanks for all the compliments about the original post. It's massively appreciated.

Maybe I'll make it in this business after all.   ;)

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2008, 01:06:28 am »
'Kinhell, thanks for all the compliments about the original post. It's massively appreciated.

Maybe I'll make it in this business after all.   ;)

It's how PT started :)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2008, 01:08:33 am »
Bit gutted really, there were loads of job opportunities I would have had a pop at (both LFC and more national) if I'd had already graduated. Just got to hope for the same next year; as long as I graduate, of course.

I don't write enough on here. I love writing about football, both in the fanzine style and a more refined, journalistic style. Uni doesn't allow me to do it enough, the bastards.

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2008, 02:37:07 am »
I don't think we have much chance but by fuck I can't wait for the bastard season to start; this waiting is agony :no

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2008, 02:42:20 am »
Nice post mate, I'm still torn between hoping the Mancs don't get another title and hoping our c*nts of owners fuck off, at the moment I can't see a good way out of this. We win the league and everyones happy thus prolonging their welcome, getting some people back onside and even encouraging more knobheads to follow us. Maybe I should be happy in that situation but I just can't see it.
I know what you mean mate regarding the owners, and if we win anything you can guarantee Hicks will be mouthing off in the press about how it was all down to him and the usual suspects here will be triumphantly sucking G&H cock for months to come.

BUT...we'd just have to put up with it and having No.19 in our minds and hearts would make up for all that :)

Offline lkopite4everd

• Kemlynite
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2008, 05:00:25 am »
good post mate !!
although i honestly dont think we will win it (when i say that i just dont want to bulid me self up again to be out of it come boxing day with a bang )

like a said good post BUT a rejuvinated dirk kuyt? the man needs a rocket up his arse !!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2008, 06:39:16 pm »
i really enjoyed reading that, i've  never seen GM in a piece about football either, very original.

this post and yorkkopites about the defence are great examples of what rawk is all about.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2008, 09:38:55 pm »
- Playing that formation, we had a central spine of players as good as anything in the world, but we lacked the quality and depth the others in the top 4 had in wide areas (fullbacks and wide midfielders).
- Based on this: let's leave the central spine (including central midfield) and the formation that actually worked last season alone, and use what money we have (mainly) to strengthen the wide areas. In short, let's build on what worked last time around, and use our limited funds to improve the 'problem areas'.

Instead, we seem about to spend 40 millions on central players, only 8 million on wide players, and nobody really seem to be sure what formation we will mainly be playing next season. Of course signing Keane and/or Barry could turn out to be strokes of genius, but if it doesn't work out, surely questions will be asked about this. "Wingers" or not, somebody has to play on each side of midfield, and what we have (the useful but limited Kuyt and the inconsistent Babel), doesn't really seem that convincing compared to what others have.   

Bang on that.  I'm getting a bit bored of people thinking wide players = wingers circa 1930.  Wanting pace out wide isn't the same as wanting someone sat that far out he's not only getting chalk on his boots, he's able to have a bit of someone's hotdog in the stands.  Our wide players are either developing and possibly not going to make it (Babel), makeshift and slow (Kuyt), underused and not really ideal for there (Benayoun) or not really good enough, and don't suit our system (Pennant).

Thinking signing another striker, a central midfielder come-left-back, and a left-back is us solving last season's problems is an impressive display of faith and optimism.  But I'll bookmark this one just in case I have to doff my cap come May.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:41:00 pm by Life »
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2008, 06:57:51 am »
Bang on that.  I'm getting a bit bored of people thinking wide players = wingers circa 1930.  Wanting pace out wide isn't the same as wanting someone sat that far out he's not only getting chalk on his boots, he's able to have a bit of someone's hotdog in the stands.  Our wide players are either developing and possibly not going to make it (Babel), makeshift and slow (Kuyt), underused and not really ideal for there (Benayoun) or not really good enough, and don't suit our system (Pennant).

Thinking signing another striker, a central midfielder come-left-back, and a left-back is us solving last season's problems is an impressive display of faith and optimism.  But I'll bookmark this one just in case I have to doff my cap come May.
Agree most copiously

Offline westhamfan

• Boys Pen
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2008, 04:06:18 pm »
hi everyone,

Just joined to see what liverpool was thinking about robbie keane and there chances of getting the title were,
personally theres no way robbie keanes is good enough for liverpool and it is signings like this that are ruining your chances of actually performing in the league......... i think u have too many who are just not good enough.

it looks as though u all have the optimism again though, is it justified though ?

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2008, 04:07:14 pm »
personally theres no way robbie keanes is good enough for liverpool and it is signings like this that are ruining your chances of actually performing in the league......... i think u have too many who are just not good enough.

Oh dear
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2008, 04:15:53 pm »
Right now hold on a second.
Michael Carrick is in no way inferior to Gareth Barry. One of the main differences between 05/06 and 06/07 was the signing of Michael Carrick, aswell as the rise of Vidic, Evra and Ronaldo, the return of Giggs and Scholes, and also the brilliance of Saha.
You will never truly understand how good Michael Carrick is for us until you go down to a game and watch him live. His passing is absolutely top notch, and his composure in the middle of the field is something that we cannot live without! He may not be the most dynamic or explosive midfielder, but he's possibly the most underrated player at our club.

I'm fully aware that people on here think that he has about as much talent as Bruno Cheyrou but without Carrick in our line-up, we're a completely different team altogether for the worse.

Also, in regards to that bench you've come up with, i'd feel a lot more comfortable having this on the bench:

Foster
Neville
Silvestre
Anderson
Nani
Hargreaves
Saha

I've probably missed someone out, and it's even possible that you'll find Tevez there for periods next year! There's only one team in the Premier League that can compete with that and that is Chelsea. I also like how you've said "We've got Babel, they've got Eagles." How about Nani?

When I was writing about Carrick, I meant when he was at Tottenham. I've seen Carrick for yous a few times and I'm not arguing that he has been instrumental in your success. However, the point I was getting at was Barry does more for Villa than Carrick ever did for Spurs, and I reckon the impact he'll have on our side will be similar to Carrick's, which you yourself have admitted, was vital.

As for the Babel/Eagles shout, put that down to a bit of journalistic sensationalism. I know you'll have the likes of Nani on the bench, although I'm not a massive fan of him from what I've seen. Taking your idea of your bench next season, I don't think there are as many impact players on there as ours. Without entering the debate of who is better than who, Benayoun should make more impact than Hargreaves coming off the bench; from what I've seen of Anderson, he's someone who would play better from the start. Do you see what I'm getting at?

hi everyone,

Just joined to see what liverpool was thinking about robbie keane and there chances of getting the title were, personally theres no way robbie keanes is good enough for liverpool and it is signings like this that are ruining your chances of actually performing in the league......... i think u have too many who are just not good enough.

it looks as though u all have the optimism again though, is it justified though ?

It's just my ramblings and shouldn't be taken as a guide to all Liverpool fans. Not one of me mates who I go the aways with share my optimism. As the original post said: I'm not usually one for optimism, but I just have this feeling this season. I've tried to explain it but probably not done a very good job of doing so.

And without turning this into a Robbie Keane thread, I think you're way off the mark regarding his signing.

Offline westhamfan

• Boys Pen
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2008, 04:35:29 pm »
don't get me wrong actually wouldn't mind the title going somewhere other than the big two but how can u when u -

sign aged players for big cash who have no pace and doesn't raise the bar and will get no better in time.

rest your best players too often leaving a team that is at best about 6th best in the premiership.

no wonder the best players bar a couple of players don't want to sign for liverpool, they want to be playing and winning not left out and making them lose.

i think u would do a whole lot better with a manager who wants to win every game and knows his best 11, when u get rafa concentrating on champions league if that doens't come off again and u are mid table again people will question him, and rightly so

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2008, 04:43:16 pm »
sign aged players for big cash who have no pace and doesn't raise the bar and will get no better in time.

One of our major problems in the past has been signing players who we've hoped will come good. The past two seasons, we've signed Torres, Mascherano, Benayoun, Keane and probably Barry. Five players who you know will have a positive impact on the team, no waiting around. And how does Keane have no pace?

rest your best players too often leaving a team that is at best about 6th best in the Premier League.

Myth. We rested Torres once when he was fully-fit, last season.

no wonder the best players bar a couple of players don't want to sign for liverpool, they want to be playing and winning not left out and making them lose.

See above. And who are 'the best players' that are snubbing us? If only we could get rejected by Kaka. It means we have the money for him, at least.

i think u would do a whole lot better with a manager who wants to win every game and knows his best 11, when u get rafa concentrating on champions league if that doens't come off again and u are mid table again people will question him, and rightly so

Mid-table again? We've finished 5th, 3rd, 4th and 4th. Not exactly mid-table. And I think we're doing fine with Rafa and if you'd read the original article, you'd see my opinion on the bloke.

Are you Paul Merson or do you just buy into everything he says?

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2008, 04:48:28 pm »
I have a feeling Keane can be a match-winner for, as you delightfully put it on a Liverpool forum, 'the scousers'... and Barry can have the same impact that Carrick did.

Offline westhamfan

• Boys Pen
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »
come on a 28 year old for that much when torres' fee was similar thats a joke, he couldn't fire totenham anywhere but some how he's gonna the almighty liverpool somewhere ?  ?? ??  give me a break.

come on keane has little pace and is slightly over weight !it doesn't matter how many players he rests if 1 of them is torres or gerrard if one of them isn't there the team is average

i know its not exactly mid table but it might as well be compared to the standards of the big 2

u watch same thing will happen this year man u and chelsea will kill u in the league and next season u will all be on here writing on the optimism posts.....well good luck with that guys......... if u get rafa out u may have a chance to turn things around

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2008, 04:56:26 pm »
I'll take what you've said on board, you East London oracle.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2008, 08:24:30 pm »
if u get rafa out u may have a chance to turn things around

You guys wouldn't know a good manager if he slid a brown paper envelope under each of your seats.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline TONYMAN

• Main Stander
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2008, 08:39:37 pm »
come on a 28 year old for that much when torres' fee was similar thats a joke, he couldn't fire totenham anywhere but some how he's gonna the almighty liverpool somewhere ?  ?? ??  give me a break.

come on keane has little pace and is slightly over weight !it doesn't matter how many players he rests if 1 of them is torres or gerrard if one of them isn't there the team is average

i know its not exactly mid table but it might as well be compared to the standards of the big 2

what big 2
there is just one big fucker lfc evryone elese is still in our shadow

u watch same thing will happen this year man u and chelsea will kill u in the league and next season u will all be on here writing on the optimism posts.....well good luck with that guys......... if u get rafa out u may have a chance to turn things around

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2008, 08:40:31 pm »
Bit rich getting management tips from a West ham fan isn't it?

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2008, 09:23:38 pm »
im sure we'll win it this year as well!! unfortunately the year i was born was the last time we won the league....this year i am 19...so its time we upgrade the number of league titles to 19 as well ;) ;D

wishful thinking i know ;D

Offline tOrnike

• Anny Roader
    • myspace.com/tornike
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:21 pm »
Another "this is the year" topic for another August..