Author Topic: Camping in general...  (Read 25696 times)

Offline El Diablos

• The Chronologically Trousered Philanthropist
  • Legacy Fan
  • All posts copyright of Alan Smithee
Re: Camping in general...
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2011, 05:32:29 pm »
Bump for El Diablos

Cheers for that.

So does anyone have any camp sites in the UK to recommend. I'm off to a place called Summers Ponds near Brighton for this coming bank holiday weekend. It has a number of lakes if you like fishing. Ive not been there before.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »
I quite like some of the National Trust camp sites, but they're quite rough and ready if you're used to having on site facilities and the like. Best one I've been to is in Stonethwaite in the Lake District, near Keswick. Immense place, but there's literally just an unlit toilet block there, and a rough one at that too. It's also one of the wettest places in Britain, but that adds to its charm when you see the streams build up to a powerful torrent rolling off the mountains.

Here's the old tent set up

And, this is a couple of minutes walk away

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »
nant-y-big

This place is great just beyond Abersoch at the end of the road(literally) before hells mouth, was there last weekend for Wakestock, has a fuckin fantastic location we always camp overlooking the beach(proper sand & blue water!!) build a fire in the bbq(off the ground) and is great to wake up with the loads of wabbits outside your tent :)

But not too sure on the pets tbf, would def recommend tho

Never been camping but that looks good might get down there for a weekend.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline El Diablos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2011, 05:54:58 pm »
Wow. How long did you stay there for?

Last summer i stayed in Dorset overlooking Chesil Beach

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:30 pm »
nant-y-big

This place is great just beyond Abersoch at the end of the road(literally) before hells mouth, was there last weekend for Wakestock, has a fuckin fantastic location we always camp overlooking the beach(proper sand & blue water!!) build a fire in the bbq(off the ground) and is great to wake up with the loads of wabbits outside your tent :)

But not too sure on the pets tbf, would def recommend tho

I camped there some years ago. Top recommend. We kayaked out into the bay and couldn't believe how crystal clear the water was, seeing the bottom at maybe 15 feet deep.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2011, 07:49:31 pm »
Its that time of year again. Dust the tent off and away, lakes next week hopefully.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:21 pm »
Off to Dumfries and Galloway, Oban area and probably Mull for a week or 2 at the end of August.

Can anyone recommend some camping spots? Travelling with a toddler and can't pretend i don't like a proper shower where i don't have to press the button every 15 secs.

Thanks in advance.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:32 pm »
Anyone know of any campsites where let will let about 6 lads aged 22-35 on that is close a lake with facilities where you can hire canoes, boats ect. Need somewhere fairly relaxed where ya can have a drink and smoke abit of bud without getting thrown off site.

Edit: just seen that one Adam r posted, looks perfect

Coniston Hall at Coniston in the Lakes is ok for this.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »
Next camping I do will be at Glastonbury. Then as many weekends as possible for the rest of the summer, love it best holidays going for kids.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2011, 10:12:57 pm »
Coniston Hall at Coniston in the Lakes is ok for this.

Can't hire canoes at Coniston Hall you need to get over to Coniston Boating Centre. Noisy camp site that aswell but a great setting by the lake.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:44 pm »
http://www.treyarnonbay.co.uk/touringframe.htm

anyone fancy camping in Cornwall this is where i usually go.Got a static caravan there but renting that out at the mo so will be camping it this year.Great location right on the beach, lovely scenery cracking local pubs...just hope for the nice weather. Whilst you cant have an open fire on the site,the beach is two minutes walk and has no restrictions on that score.Cracking little spot.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2011, 02:21:34 pm »
Nice part of the world; have camped at Watergate Bay in the past, and at Trewan Hall in St Columb Major last year. :wave

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:50 pm »
Westermill Farm near Exford on Exmoor is a nice, relaxed site. Lots of families, facilities are basic, small shop, river to paddle about in, loads of room when we were there a few years back. There is also a field where they allow camp fires, and it was a bit more, um, Glastonbury...

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »
Has anyone ever been camping on Shell Island? Is it worth going? x

Some of my mates went years ago and still call it "Shell out Island" as they were robbin b'stards apparently.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »
Some of my mates went years ago and still call it "Shell out Island" as they were robbin b'stards apparently.

Shell Island is fucking immense. At £7.25/person/night it's about right, but I can see why some folk think it's steep. I'm glad though, as it keeps away big gangs of knobs (mostly).

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2011, 03:47:48 am »
just take at least 2 pair of socks per day... that is the best advice ever.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline rafa_thebosphorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2011, 08:11:25 am »
Shell Island is fucking immense. At £7.25/person/night it's about right, but I can see why some folk think it's steep. I'm glad though, as it keeps away big gangs of knobs (mostly).

I used to love Shell Island but havent been for years. Its massive and you could always find a quiet spot.

just take at least 2 pair of socks per day... that is the best advice ever.
2 pairs a day ? Pack light girl, pack light.

Offline ste669

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2011, 10:31:44 am »
i remember going camping near clitheroe years ago must be 20 years and one of the lads with us burned his  caravan down,he forgot to turn the grill off and set alight ,seem to recall we never went with him again

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2011, 11:16:42 am »
Nice part of the world; have camped at Watergate Bay in the past, and at Trewan Hall in St Columb Major last year. :wave

ah watergate bay. lovely spot.The coastline around the west coast of Cornwall is fantastic. Some of the greatest sunsets ive ever seen in my life,even taking into account australia,parts of america and several other places
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline El Diablos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2011, 12:47:59 am »
Im making use of the bank holiday and going on my first camping trip of the year tomorrow

Going here http://www.sumnersponds.co.uk/sumnersponds.htm

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2011, 05:18:06 am »
2 pairs a day ? Pack light girl, pack light.

Oh yes! keep it simple, no matter if you don't take other clothes, or anything else, seriously Keep yer feet dry and always have dry socks at hand... you can make a spear with the wood to hunt, collect berries in the wild, drink water from the springs... but you can't make a pair of socks out of nowhere... I bet you bear grills has many socks in his backpack ;)

Offline rafa_thebosphorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2011, 07:57:38 am »
.. you can make a spear with the wood to hunt, collect berries in the wild, drink water from the springs... but you can't make a pair of socks out of nowhere..
could skin a monkey.... or a sheep has many uses (or so i'm told)  :o

.. I bet you bear grills has many socks in his backpack ;)
he's a five star room service fraud....
bear grills my arse..ooh thats gotta hurt.  i'd skin that fekker too.  ;)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2011, 05:06:35 pm »
could skin a monkey.... or a sheep has many uses (or so i'm told)  :o
he's a five star room service fraud....
bear grills my arse..ooh thats gotta hurt.  i'd skin that fekker too.  ;)

Hehehehe unless is an ape or a gorilla, a little monkey won't work for a pair of socks... now a sheep could be better, dunno if the owner will allow it.

Bear grills, well he can make it with the duvets... true, I forgot about that :D

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2011, 05:10:26 pm »
I quite like some of the National Trust camp sites, but they're quite rough and ready if you're used to having on site facilities and the like. Best one I've been to is in Stonethwaite in the Lake District, near Keswick. Immense place, but there's literally just an unlit toilet block there, and a rough one at that too. It's also one of the wettest places in Britain, but that adds to its charm when you see the streams build up to a powerful torrent rolling off the mountains.

Camped at Stonethwaite in the mid 80's, amazing place. However after around 36 hours of a storm the ridge pole on the tent finally snapped in the middle f the night, necessitating sheltering until dawn in the aforementioned toilet block.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2011, 05:02:15 pm »
Every year it is the same argument, the kids want to go camping and the wife refuses, every year she books a holiday in Spain, this year was no different so I told the kids that I would take them camping for a weekend whilst they were on holiday. I have never been camping in my life and know nothing so I went on ebay and found a tent that looked OK. I think, now that I have read a bit about camping that I was lucky, this 2nd hand tent turned out to be a Sunncamp 4 berth frame tent with 2 inner bedrooms , I  paid my £43 (bargain) and took the tent home I then got the kids out in the garden and a couple of hours later there was the tent on our lawn, it looked fine (even the wife was impressed!).

So back to ebay, what else do I need? 2 burner stove with a grille £15, by the way would you like to buy our gas bottle whilst you are here it is nearly full £10? By the way would you like to buy our camping kitchen whilst you are here £20? (I actually bartered and got this for £17.50. Next was airbeds, back to ebay 2 x double and 2 x single plus pumps - £15.03. Next a groundsheet £2.20 in bag the real mccoy £2.20 (bargain) plus a 28L coolbox fridge which runs off the car battery £21.38. I have a fully charged car battery at home so I put some beer in the coolbox to test it and 4 hours later the beer was cold and the battery was just about flat! So back to ebay and a mains coolbox followed at £25 so at least now I have one for food and one for beer (good thinking!) So all the while I am reading about camping and learning and I soon realized that the cheap mains hook up on ebay at £10 could result in a disaster so next was a hookup with protection and fuses etc etc (I think it is a Sunncamp one) with orange cable, ebay - £40.

I am now thinking that if my wife is not coming with me and my 9 year old daughter wants the loo in the middle of the night there is a potential problem, she cannot go wandering on her own so back to ebay and a quick bit of bidding gets a Porta Potti - £24 and a toilet tent - £13.48. Next is the table and chairs, I manage to get a folding table (picnic bench style) with 4 seats for £8 (this deserves some kind of design award, it is amazing) only £8, followed by 4 dazzler sleeping bags brand new in bags £21.

So my spending now for the weekend camping is up to £255.59!

By now I am now getting loads of aggro from my wife, our dining room looks like a camping shop and she is having trouble hoovering, there is no room in the shed (kids bikes, skateboards, gardening tools etc etc), I am not lugging all this up to the attic so a new shed is the only answer (we needed one anyway) again I am lucky a friend is moving and a shed is going free so I borrow a van and spend the weekend dismantling, building a base, re assembling, felting the roof and repainting (the wife says it must be the same colour as our other shed) so cost of felt, concrete and paint a modest £32.

Now the wife who was impressed with the tent is even more impressed with the mains hook up “You mean I can take my hairdryer and use it in the tent?” “Yes dear” It turns out that she did not want to be wandering around a campsite with her hair in a mess every morning and I must agree with her, it’s bad enough our kids seeing her first thing in the morning without frightening a campsite full of other peoples kids!

So now the wife wants to join us.

Next came a visit to town. In the local Poundshop I found, 4 x plastic plates (2 for £1), 8 x various lights (2 for £1), 2 x hanging laundry baskets (£1 each), 1 pop up linen basket (I do not know why I want this it just impresses me! £1) 1 rectangular bowl (£1) 1 pair of gardening gloves (£1).

Wilkinsons - 10 spare tent pegs (just in case) £1.50

Argos – Electric kettle (full size) on offer £4.60 and having looked at camping pots and pans for £20 & £30 and having seen a camping frying pan which would not even fit a fried egg on it I bought the cheapest panset in Argos - £7.99

So I have now spent £25.09 in town.

We think that we can utilize various bits from home ( we have some old cutlery and plastic beakers and can openers, mallet etc so we are now sorted.

But I spot a last  minute bargain on ebay, someone local sells cheap things brand new and I always keep my eye on them and I spotted a rechargeable camping light, radio, alarm clock which looks superb, it is brand new and costs me £3.53

Grand total £316.21.

So I warned the boss last week that I would not be in at work on Monday and started looking for a campsite for the weekend, the BBC website said it would be showery and drizzling but they are usually wrong, we read lots of campsite reviews and argued a lot, I fancied a small site near Robin Hoods Bay and the wife wanted to go to a Haven site (if it is raining at least the kids can go swimming, which really means we can eat out and I do not have to cook!) So Friday night on Havens websites last minute deals there was a 2 night break on an electric pitch at Thorpe park Cleethorpes for £64.80 including funworks pass, I was outvoted and the wife booked it.

I have the best car in the world, it is my best friend, it is a 14 year old turbo diesel VW Passatt estate car called DUG (reg no), it has done 207,000 miles and passes its MOT every year for under £100, It never ever breaks down or plays up, it does between 56 and 60 mpg. I fill the tank up (£100 nowadays) and after 850 miles I fill it up again, it has electric windows, mirrors, sunroof etc. The only thing I have done is put an MP3 CD player in it. It takes us around Europe every year doing 3000 miles in about 2 and a half weeks and it loves going up the Pyrenees to Andorra and down to Spain  It flys through France at 85 mph and always does 58mpg on holiday. I wash it every July and check the oil, the oil never needs topping up and the car always looks clean, even in June! I go to Belgium on tobacco runs in it and use it often for work, travelling anywhere from Aberdeen or Inverness to Cornwall.

So we loaded DUG up with all our gear, put the tent on the floor behind the front seats, 2 cooler boxes between the kids, forced the doors shut and went to Cleethorpes.

Everything was excellent, the sun was out, the facilities were clean, the kids went swimming we walked into Cleethorpes had fish and chips and ice cream, slept well and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Then it started, Sunday night sat outside the tent having a beer and chilling out the wife says “isn’t everybody friendly?” “I have really enjoyed this” “isn’t it clean” “its been fun” “I wish we had brought the kids bikes" "we will have to bring them next time” “what kind of tent is that one?" "Ours is not really big enough, you will have to buy another” “well if it wont all fit in the car you will have to buy a bigger one or a camper or a van”

The kids agree with her.

So just to summarise,

my weekend camping has cost me £381.01 + spending money. 

I now have to buy a 6 berth Sunncamp Grange tent (the wife has decided) currently retailing at £599.00.

I have to get rid of DUG (my car) and buy a camper or a van.

Next year we are going to Cornwall camping for our main holidays!.

Before anyone suggest it I do not have room for a trailer, I have no drive and no access to the back garden (which is full of sheds anyway), If I leave it at work it will get stolen.

All this raises a couple of questions

1)      Who said camping was cheap and relaxing?

2)      Should I trade in my car or should I trade in my wife?

3)      If it wasn’t for ebay, would there only be millionaires on campsites?

Any advice would be thankfully received

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

;D

Only just read this. v funny

"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2011, 08:49:33 pm »
Good stuff
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2011, 08:57:22 pm »
Always make sure that you camp next to a river to keep the wine and beer cool,
but don`t be like my son who came away last year and after a hours driving
realised he had left 3 bottles wine and 7 cans in the river.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2011, 10:33:20 pm »
Always make sure that you camp next to a river to keep the wine and beer cool,
but don`t be like my son who came away last year and after a hours driving
realised he had left 3 bottles wine and 7 cans in the river.

It can have its problems..

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:55 pm »
Went to Coniston Hall again at weekend, great weather, top spec, not arsed about a bit of noise as it's usually us making it so swings and roundabouts. Off to Shell Island week after next, not been for ages. Fingers crossed for more of the same weather.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2012, 10:19:04 pm »
little bump, any fresh ideas?

anyone been camping abroad, is it a waste of time?

whats a decent site to buy some camping gear, everything i need. I had a lot but its in hers so probably been sold on ebay.
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2012, 10:23:31 pm »
ebay would be your best bet. I've had all my camping gear off there.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2012, 10:25:06 pm »
ebay would be your best bet. I've had all my camping gear off there.

AS I TYPED IT OUT I MENTIoneD EBAY AND THOUGHT DUH, i'll have a look now, want to go soon. what are the essentials? is it wrong to go camping alone?

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2012, 10:30:03 pm »

My brother goes camping on his own. He likes the peace and quiet.  Essentials I think would be a stove, pans, a plate, a cup, coffee/tea, uht milk, matches/lighter, torch, sleeping bag, plenty of socks, warm clothing.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »
My brother goes camping on his own. He likes the peace and quiet.  Essentials I think would be a stove, pans, a plate, a cup, coffee/tea, uht milk, matches/lighter, torch, sleeping bag, plenty of socks, warm clothing.

it would probably defeat the object taking a portable dvd player or something wouldn't it, a book would be better. Need to find somewhere to go now.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2012, 10:54:47 pm »

Tent? ;)

Paul, is it just me or is camping, especially alone, the perfect environment for a drink? Is that the best idea? Hope you don't feel hounded through the threads, and sure you've thought about it, but...

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2012, 10:56:46 pm »
Tent? ;)

Paul, is it just me or is camping, especially alone, the perfect environment for a drink? Is that the best idea? Hope you don't feel hounded through the threads, and sure you've thought about it, but...

its sound, see i did think that, and thats what she said to me this morning, you know, barbecue and beers, camping ,sun outdoors. sounds perfect, but i'm thinking of it the other way, a chance to leave me works and stuff behind and just relax for a couple of days. bit worried about going on me own like.

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:29 pm »

@gerrardspetal - twitter

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2012, 11:18:21 pm »
goes with out saying. :D

ha ha, i was going to just build something. Go all bear grylls.

so, where do i go, wales?

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2012, 11:50:23 pm »
AS I TYPED IT OUT I MENTIoneD EBAY AND THOUGHT DUH, i'll have a look now, want to go soon. what are the essentials? is it wrong to go camping alone?

Rape whistle.

Seriously though make sure someone always knows where the fuck you are at least.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:52:54 pm by Bob Loblaw »

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »