Author Topic: Camping in general...  (Read 25170 times)

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • The thing about common sense is it isn't common
Re: Camping in general...
« Reply #200 on: August 9, 2014, 01:05:49 pm »

The Quiet Site, Pooley Bridge..this is the pub onsite.  Fantastic campsite.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #201 on: August 9, 2014, 01:09:13 pm »
I would to be honest with you mate, but when you've got 3 kids, 10, 8 and 5, learning how to make a noise with a piece of grass will only keep them occupied for 5 mins!

It doesn't have to be just one piece of grass they have as entertainment!!  When my daughter was that age the sites I chose had a little stream for her to paddle in,  a big old tree with a tyre swing,  that sort of thing.  it's amazing how much tiime and fun kids can have with these simple things.  More than we give them credit for if I'm honest.  I remember how proud my daughter was when she made a den in a patch of woods the campsite had,  proudest day of her life :)  and took hours to make!!  Her second best memory was running round the fields by our site playing  40 40 (hide and seek) with a couple of friends she'd made.  These kids entertained themselves for hours with basically nothing but the field and each other's company.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 9, 2014, 07:48:41 pm »
Got back from Kircolm yesterday after 3 days, saw more seals than people.
Pitched the tent 10 yards from the high tide line.

Going back on Thursday for a longer stay, can't beat eating breakfast sat on the rocks watching the waves crash on the shore, and having a beer sat round a fire in the evening.

Going to buy a creel this week, probably won't catch anything, but my lad will be excited every day.
 :)
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: August 9, 2014, 07:54:44 pm »
It doesn't have to be just one piece of grass they have as entertainment!!  When my daughter was that age the sites I chose had a little stream for her to paddle in,  a big old tree with a tyre swing,  that sort of thing.  it's amazing how much tiime and fun kids can have with these simple things.  More than we give them credit for if I'm honest.  I remember how proud my daughter was when she made a den in a patch of woods the campsite had,  proudest day of her life :)  and took hours to make!!  Her second best memory was running round the fields by our site playing  40 40 (hide and seek) with a couple of friends she'd made.  These kids entertained themselves for hours with basically nothing but the field and each other's company.

Agree entirely mate.

My youngest has ADHD and was so easily amused it staggered me. Spent hours just walking up and down the coast, climbing rocks, poking about in rock pools etc. We were even out in the sea catching Jellyfish for 2 hours !!

My eldest got bored quickly though, 3 miles just to get phone reception, and 9 to get 3G. He's lost without a screen to look at.

He was okay the first two days when everything was new, but the outdoor life has come too late for him  :D

Next week me and my youngest are going back up and will be foraging for our supper.  :)
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 1, 2014, 03:36:39 pm »
anyone interested in buying a soulpad 5000 lite..pm me
bollocks

Offline leighton

• adopter of peasants, spelling mistakes are the iPads fault - obviously.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter @smee05
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2014, 09:27:52 am »
decided and bought a caravan last year.
six years of packing away wet / damp tents, to then spend days trying to get them dry was getting on my nerves.

away every second weekend nowadays, and just booked for new years eve for the sake of the dogs.

cracking weekend at Bridgehouse marina, Garstang
http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9c3pocGNqZ3MwbjRkJmx2bD0xNyZzdHk9YiZlbz0wJnE9TmF0ZWJ5JTIwQ3Jvc3NpbmclMjBMYW5lJTJDJTIwR2Fyc3RhbmclMkMlMjBQUjMlMjAw
Everton fc, the slogans club. More slogans than trophies - now available in pink.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #206 on: September 23, 2020, 01:08:15 pm »
My wife is looking for some help from the RAWK camping community.

She is an academic at the University Of Edinburgh and is conducting some research on 'home camping' during lockdown. If you did do some garden camping, please take a few minutes to complete her survey:

https://edinburgh.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/home-camping-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-final-version

Thanks in advance!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #207 on: September 23, 2020, 01:47:57 pm »
Done.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2020, 01:57:56 pm »

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2020, 07:19:05 am »
Done
We got our son a tent for his birthday so did loads of camping in the garden

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2020, 09:45:38 am »
I quite enjoy camping. It's near on impossible to do it here until January or Feb to be honest. Simply too hot. Nothing better than kicking back and taking in nature with a fire and beers at night.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2020, 06:31:41 pm »
Our experience of camping has been mixed. We were flooded out in the Lake District on our first trip, and our tent was destroyed in a gale in Snowdonia on our second trip.

We camped in my Mum's back garden with our dog while my Mum was away a couple of summers ago. That was nice. Wine, food, a chiminea going and the weather was nice. Just something different to do. The dog loved it, and he didn't want to get up off the inflatable mattress in the mornings.

Next year we hope to do a bit of hammock camping. Rather than take a tent, I bought us two camping hammocks, underquilts and tarps. This summer I've set it up for Mrs Spion to use while I'm on the bank fishing. I got them quite late in the season, so a proper camping trip will have to wait until next summer now, but we are looking forward to it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #212 on: November 4, 2023, 11:05:57 pm »
It’s camping, that’s caused all the crime, you gang of lifestyle choicers, Grrrrrrrrr

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/04/fury-as-braverman-depicts-homelessness-as-a-lifestyle-choice
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #213 on: November 5, 2023, 01:09:29 am »
It’s camping, that’s caused all the crime, you gang of lifestyle choicers, Grrrrrrrrr

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/04/fury-as-braverman-depicts-homelessness-as-a-lifestyle-choice

She really is an utter c*nt
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2023, 05:13:29 pm »
RIP to the 4 lads who went on a camping trip to North Wales at the weekend but have sadly perished 💔

Condolences to all their families and friends, I can't begin to imagine how you come to terms with a tragedy like that 😟

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2023, 05:17:41 pm »
RIP to the 4 lads who went on a camping trip to North Wales at the weekend but have sadly perished 💔

Condolences to all their families and friends, I can't begin to imagine how you come to terms with a tragedy like that 😟

I've been reading about this on another forum,awful stuff.

They were just kids.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2023, 05:19:51 pm »
Yeah such a sad event. Awful.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2023, 05:22:02 pm »

Youngsters who just passed their driving test.  Was a narrow, steep and windy road, apparently.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2023, 05:25:04 pm »
I've been reading about this on another forum,awful stuff.

They were just kids.

Yep a mix of 16 and 17yr olds probably on their first independent trip away 😟

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2023, 05:28:44 pm »
Youngsters who just passed their driving test.  Was a narrow, steep and windy road, apparently.

Pretty much all the roads through Eryri are like that mate, even the A roads so it's definitely not an area for inexperienced drivers to be navigating.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2023, 05:33:16 pm »
Ahh, this is awful. I'd heard they were missing, but not that they'd perished.  :-\

RIP lads.  😢

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2023, 05:36:08 pm »
Pretty much all the roads through Eryri are like that mate, even the A roads so it's definitely not an area for inexperienced drivers to be navigating.
Did they come off the road? I'm only just catching up with this.

I did a day driving in Snowdonia last year and it can be scary in parts.

Edit: Just read up on this on BBC News.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 05:42:55 pm by Son of Spion »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2023, 05:54:52 pm »

We had a drive over to Oswestry using the old A5 a couple of weeks ago and as beautiful as it was on a lovely, sunny autumn day it's definitely not an easy journey. 

Lots of blind bends, hills and dips and lots of walkers usually in the road.

Such a horrible tragedy on what should have been an adventure 😕

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2023, 06:34:39 pm »
We spent a lot of time in that area driving round at their age. I cant imagine how horrible it would be if some of us never came back.
Tragedy doesnt cover it.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #224 on: November 21, 2023, 06:39:32 pm »
We spent a lot of time in that area driving round at their age. I cant imagine how horrible it would be if some of us never came back.
Tragedy doesnt cover it.

Yep I remember driving to Wales with mates once, just slightly older than these, and we camped at the top of a hill. I had to get all the guys to get out of the car as it couldn’t get to the top with them in it, it was so steep.

Terrible tragedy
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2023, 06:58:14 pm »
We had a drive over to Oswestry using the old A5 a couple of weeks ago and as beautiful as it was on a lovely, sunny autumn day it's definitely not an easy journey. 

Lots of blind bends, hills and dips and lots of walkers usually in the road.

Such a horrible tragedy on what should have been an adventure 😕
I'd never recommend new / inexperienced drivers go to such places. I didn't learn to drive until around 2000. I had a girlfriend in the 90s that passed her test and bought a car. Our first trip of any distance was the Trough of Bowland. It was terrifying. She just didn't know how to drive on narrow, winding roads on hills. Same with long inclines where gear changes were necessary. She learned to drive around Crosby, which is flat as a pancake. Anyway, the Trough scared the crap out of us.

By the time I started lessons and passed my test I was with a different girlfriend. I decided to go to the Lake District.  :duh Great idea on paper, but the realities were different. At one point I found myself trying to do a long climb up a very steep and narrow road. The car got slower and slower. I got down to second gear before crapping myself and coming to a halt. I then had to do a turn in the road with a cliff on one side and a massive drop into a river on the other. My inexperience did for me. As did not knowing the limitations of my 1Litre car until put in a position I was not experienced enough to deal with.

After those experiences I'd always recommend new, inexperienced drivers steer clear of places like the Lakes, Snowdonia etc until they build their driving experience up quite a bit. Such places can test even the most experienced driver at times, I think.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2023, 07:09:37 pm »

Car was found overturned and partially submerged.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 21, 2023, 07:38:45 pm »
I'd never recommend new / inexperienced drivers go to such places. I didn't learn to drive until around 2000. I had a girlfriend in the 90s that passed her test and bought a car. Our first trip of any distance was the Trough of Bowland. It was terrifying. She just didn't know how to drive on narrow, winding roads on hills. Same with long inclines where gear changes were necessary. She learned to drive around Crosby, which is flat as a pancake. Anyway, the Trough scared the crap out of us.

By the time I started lessons and passed my test I was with a different girlfriend. I decided to go to the Lake District.  :duh Great idea on paper, but the realities were different. At one point I found myself trying to do a long climb up a very steep and narrow road. The car got slower and slower. I got down to second gear before crapping myself and coming to a halt. I then had to do a turn in the road with a cliff on one side and a massive drop into a river on the other. My inexperience did for me. As did not knowing the limitations of my 1Litre car until put in a position I was not experienced enough to deal with.

After those experiences I'd always recommend new, inexperienced drivers steer clear of places like the Lakes, Snowdonia etc until they build their driving experience up quite a bit. Such places can test even the most experienced driver at times, I think.

I agree mate.  I had a horrible experience there not long ago when I was driving back from my sister's and the satnav detoured me through Eryri instead of staying on the main road near Porthmadog. 

It terrified me due to the nature of the lanes, that I had no idea where it was taking me, that I was on my own and it was getting dark.