Author Topic: Camping in general...  (Read 24652 times)

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
Re: Camping in general...
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2012, 01:25:07 am »
ha ha, i was going to just build something. Go all bear grylls.

so, where do i go, wales?

Some lovely camp sites round Wales. Depends what you want. Not really the weather for it at the mo though.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2012, 01:29:21 am »

Some lovely camp sites round Wales. Depends what you want. Not really the weather for it at the mo though.

yeah, im thinking in a few weeks, i want to try around bets-y-coed.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2012, 01:30:22 am »
yeah, im thinking in a few weeks, i want to try around bets-y-coed.

really lovely round there. :)

not camped there though but I'm sure it would be great.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2012, 01:32:42 am »
really lovely round there. :)

not camped there though but I'm sure it would be great.

yeah, its a fantastic place. love it. i have stayed in the hotel before, but surely there is a camp site close, ill check it out.
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow

@gerrardspetal - twitter

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:10 am »
thanking you,.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2012, 09:11:50 am »
Some nice sites in and around Betws. Ukcampsite.co.uk is the best site around. Good, honest reviews, and some cheap gear to be found on the ads. If anyone fancies a truly rustic experience, then Penrallt campsite, near Abersoch, is superb. Cheap as well.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2012, 09:30:42 am »
Id head for the Valleys mate, great scenery. Locals are a bit weird but its Wales innit ;)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2012, 12:29:32 pm »
.... a book would be better. .....

A Kindle would be even better
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 3, 2013, 02:58:06 pm »
Anyone got any Lake District camp sites they'd especially recommend?  Something fairly family friendly, there'll be a 6 year old on board.  Is http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ still the best place to look?

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 3, 2013, 10:18:16 pm »
A nice site we've been to in Wales a few times is Fforest Fields (http://fforestfields.co.uk/). Its near Llandrindod Wells and Builth Wells. Nothing much on the site entertainment wise, but a really nice and quiet place - if the weather is good. They have really good facilities, no shop as such but they have fridges stocked with sausages, bacon, milk, bread etc, and you just stick money in an honesty box. They also have free wireless internet - watched the football over it :)

However, I've vowed never to go camping again, certainly not in a tent, after last year. Spent a week there, rained throughout, the tent leaked, because of the amount of rain even the usually good all weather pitches they have couldn't cope and I ended up spending days covered in mud. Spent most nights trying to dry the inside of the tent. Had 1 day of good weather.

A couple of years earlier we went to the same camp site but got put under a tree which rubbed on the top of the tent all night in the wind, due to that the rain went through the outer tent and we woke up to a large puddle of water hanging over our heads on the inner part of the tent. So we had to go out and buy a new tent while we were there and try and put it up in strong winds. The following week we went down to Devon, and the camp site put us on a hill. The rain continued and we woke up to a river of mud flowing through out tent, so I tore the tent down, threw it in the back of the car, and said we were going home, fast. Well, not that fast, the car wouldn't start as the battery was flat. Got the jump start kit out the boot, but it was also dead and refused to start the car, so that got thrown in the bin and I sat in a huff in the front of the car and said we'd just have to sit there. Fortunately the wife found someone to jump start the car, and we finally drove home. Weather brightened up after that annoyingly.

My wife keeps going on about buying a new tent with a high weather rating, but I just don't trust them any more. If she wants to go in a tent with the kids then fine, I'll drop her off, but I'll be staying in a local hotel.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 4, 2013, 11:27:48 am »
Went camping last year to St Ives,Cornwall.2 adults 2 kids,1 and 4.Had one lovely day.Spent it on the beach which was grand,,Everything is so vivid down there,colours quite well colourful,,Great for artists its said.We we re supposed to stay for 5 nights but ended up only 3 .THe tent ( good one) was battedered by gales and torrential rain throughout the early hours and finally gave in at 6.45am ,Broken poles,pegs ripped out,,It was an experience,,Iwas braced with the centre pole to my back for the best part of an hour while we just dumped everything into the boot of the car,,Kids were howling in the back seat,,,
This was August bank holiday Monday.We drove home,4 hours ,Sorted our stuff out and spent the day just kind of shaking our heads..
the  weather was lovely the following two days which we spent in Brecon beacons,
Looking forward to the next trip
bollocks

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: June 3, 2013, 07:32:17 pm »
can anyone recommend me a decent sight in or around Bowness/Windermere? Im  thinking of heading off for a few days over this weekend coming.Be grateful for any advice.Ive previously stayed at Parke Cliffe, the only downside to it was it was a trek to the nearest pub, was hoping to find a decent ite with good shower facilities and a shop.Not bothered about enterttainment or anything but would be nice to have a pub within ten minutes walk
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 3, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
Just back from a few days at Solway View site near Kirkcudbright. Best site I've ever been to, and hugely recommended.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #174 on: June 4, 2013, 09:44:55 pm »
can anyone recommend me a decent sight in or around Bowness/Windermere? Im  thinking of heading off for a few days over this weekend coming.Be grateful for any advice.Ive previously stayed at Parke Cliffe, the only downside to it was it was a trek to the nearest pub, was hoping to find a decent ite with good shower facilities and a shop.Not bothered about enterttainment or anything but would be nice to have a pub within ten minutes walk

Ever thought of heading up the A591 to Keswick? Better sites, better pubs and better scenery.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 4, 2013, 10:15:13 pm »
chees for thatmate, booked into one not too far from bowness. can only do the one night away as the mrs has two kids and its very early doors for us so no chance of taking the kids with us etc.But ill keep that in mind for if we get to do a few nights later in the summer.I do like keswick its gorgeous round there. Ive friday off work so heading to get up there for about 11 and just take the day as it comes really.not really into walking or anything so more of  stroll round windermere its pubs and then back te site for more beers and a bottle of wine under the stars!!

thanks for the help though deffo put it on my list for next time :wave
« Last Edit: June 4, 2013, 10:18:09 pm by Roady »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #176 on: June 5, 2013, 10:47:05 am »
Was in the Aude in the south of France for the past six weeks trying out me new vango tent. Spot on!
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2013, 01:51:09 pm »
Just back from a glorious weekend here
http://www.heritagecoastcampsite.com/

Really lovely spot,,Kids loved it,Only 30 pitches so very peaceful and friendly..Stunning beach a walk away.
Fab time and recommended if your around that way.,
bollocks

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2013, 06:42:16 pm »

UKCampsite.co.uk
Every colourful blob on this photo is one of the thousands of tents and sleeping bags left at the end of Reading Festival which took place last weekend! ‘Camping gear is so cheap these days that people seem to make it part of their festival package budget, and don’t bother to take it with them when they leave,’ a festival spokesman said. Last year more than 20 tons of re-useable equipment was salvaged - and this year the figure is expected to be even higher. The story was the same at Leeds Festival..

Disgrace..20 fucking tons salvaged out of how many unusable tons?? ....Lazy shits.
bollocks

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2014, 12:23:26 pm »
Thought i would bump this thread seeing as the weather is getting nice again! ANyone plans for more camping trips? Im fairly certain of heading up the lakes in the next week or two for a two night break under the stars.Cannot wait.Going to take BCCCs advice here and head up to Keswick this time.Love camping.Its the one time I feel totally relaxed.back to nature and just sitting under the stars by your tent at night with a few beers or a couple of bottles of red.Heavenly.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »
Thought i would bump this thread seeing as the weather is getting nice again! ANyone plans for more camping trips? Im fairly certain of heading up the lakes in the next week or two for a two night break under the stars.Cannot wait.Going to take BCCCs advice here and head up to Keswick this time.Love camping.Its the one time I feel totally relaxed.back to nature and just sitting under the stars by your tent at night with a few beers or a couple of bottles of red.Heavenly.

Try Castlerigg Farm. A decent site as long as you don't make any noise after 10:30pm. You can walk through the woods into Keswick takes about 20mins or drive down and park up. Great views down to Derwentwater and across to Skiddaw.

http://www.castleriggfarm.com/tariff.php

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2014, 02:12:07 pm »
cheers for that.will look into it when we have confirmed dates,dont like the idea of having to keep the noise down with the mrs.  :D

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2014, 08:20:20 pm »
Castlerigg Hall http://www.castlerigg.co.uk/ is better (but pricier) and less fascistic in its approach to people holding conversations beyond 10:30pm (and it's just across the road).

A lot pricier from memory. A decent little bar though with a great beer garden right at the entrance. The cafe at Castlerigg Farm is great for breakfast if you don't fancy cooking.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30:04 pm »

someone needs to tell the local scouts

but who the hell has room for 20 tons of kit

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2014, 10:24:54 am »
We did a lads boating trip on the Thames 1 year and 'sailed' past the Reading Festival. Was great to see all those tents jammed in like sardines with our boat having as much room as the boat in the picture.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2014, 10:41:14 am »
We did a lads boating trip on the Thames 1 year and 'sailed' past the Reading Festival. Was great to see all those tents jammed in like sardines with our boat having as much room as the boat in the picture.

haha thats boss.My mate bought a barge, lives in warwick.Didnt think itd be something id enjoy but a load of us went out on it and the weather was boss,just pulled up at various pubs etc on route.It was great fun,really relaxing

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2014, 11:20:08 am »
Keswick is lovely, my school always used to have their Jesus camp retreats there.  Once I'd sat through the "what does God mean to you" stuff for a few hours a day it was a great place to be. 

My camping will take place here this year  :wave

I would love to go back to Keswick though, just none of my mates are really interested in that type of holiday.  All about Kavos etc.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2014, 12:20:25 pm »
Was in the Aude in the south of France for the past six weeks trying out me new vango tent. Spot on!

Well becoming a father and being back in Liverpool has put a swift end to these days. My partner has always said if your'e depressed being here you can always fook off for awhile. I may have to test the water very soon.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »
Just had a look - low season the difference is 95p per person, peak season it's no more than £2 more pppn when camping (the Hall has 4 types of season, the Farm only 2).

That little bar there is boss, though.

Yeah, forgot to say that I take two dogs and that adds about a fiver per night. The dogs are free at Castlerigg Farm.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 9, 2014, 04:38:54 pm »
We've just booked to go away for 6 nights!! Holywell Bay in Cornwall. I haven't camped for more than a couple of nights, so not really knowing how this is going to turn out. As I'm no expert, and tips on what is really important to take, apart from the tent?! Cheers  :wave

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #190 on: June 9, 2014, 09:27:24 pm »
Corkscrew - :wave

Sadly no longer necessary. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction of pushing the cork back into the bottle and swigging wine from the bottom in a sleeping back trying to get warm on some god forsaken moor.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2014, 07:19:55 am »
Sadly no longer necessary. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction of pushing the cork back into the bottle and swigging wine from the bottom in a sleeping back trying to get warm on some god forsaken moor.

Wine with a cork in the bottle? How utterly decadent   ;)

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:44 am »
What kind of site are you on, and how far from any shops/pubs/town? That will determine a lot. I'd say essentials are:

Thanks Elli! Appreciate that.

We're on a 'proper' site, 1 with a pool and shop and hire shop for wetsuits etc, so a decent place. I'd probably go a bit more 'Bear Grylls" but we're going with another family and they've been before and liked it, so I'm happy to follow. I think I need to go and browse in a camping shop to get some ideas. Warmth and comfort sounds good though, so will defo take airbeds etc.

We've got a stove, but I need to check it out + see if I've got any spare canisters. I think we'll be taking a portable bbq and also eating at pubs. It's not far from Newquay, so plenty of places around. Thanks again.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: August 4, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »
Just been out and spent 300 odd quid on a tent and gear.

Taking my lad to Scotland on Wednesday, few days of wild on the Rhins of Galloway.

Back on Saturday, few days at home to incorporate my birthday on Wednesday, then will probably go back up and do a week or so in the Highlands.

Never been this excited about a holiday.
 :D
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #194 on: August 4, 2014, 09:37:37 pm »
Not been camping in years but gonna resurrect the tent and take the kids out before they all disappear to Uni. Keswick or Aberystwyth the preferred destinations :)

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #195 on: August 6, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »
Thanks Elli! Appreciate that.

We're on a 'proper' site, 1 with a pool and shop and hire shop for wetsuits etc,
so a decent place. I'd probably go a bit more 'Bear Grylls" but we're going with another family and they've been before and liked it, so I'm happy to follow. I think I need to go and browse in a camping shop to get some ideas. Warmth and comfort sounds good though, so will defo take airbeds etc.

We've got a stove, but I need to check it out + see if I've got any spare canisters. I think we'll be taking a portable bbq and also eating at pubs. It's not far from Newquay, so plenty of places around. Thanks again.

I avoid those kind of sites!   A 'proper' site is an empty field,  a dry stone wall,  and some rudimantary sanitary provision :)
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 7, 2014, 10:08:06 am »
I avoid those kind of sites!   A 'proper' site is an empty field,  a dry stone wall,  and some rudimantary sanitary provision :)

I would to be honest with you mate, but when you've got 3 kids, 10, 8 and 5, learning how to make a noise with a piece of grass will only keep them occupied for 5 mins!

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #197 on: August 7, 2014, 10:24:36 am »

Are you wild camping, or are you doing something organised like Camping & Caravanning Club temporary sites? for the last month we've had our tent pitched alongside the in-law's caravan, at a temporary holiday site near Edinburgh. We've been going over at the weekend, and our very small kids have spent their whole time semi-feral, running around the site, paddling, rock pools, sand castles, cycling, etc. My Father In Law has a boat and we have eaten pounds and pounds of fresh cod, landed daily. The freezer at home is chocker with free fish. Blissful.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 7, 2014, 03:24:49 pm »
Very jealous Michael, especially the fish part!

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #199 on: August 9, 2014, 01:00:37 pm »
Are you wild camping, or are you doing something organised like Camping & Caravanning Club temporary sites? for the last month we've had our tent pitched alongside the in-law's caravan, at a temporary holiday site near Edinburgh. We've been going over at the weekend, and our very small kids have spent their whole time semi-feral, running around the site, paddling, rock pools, sand castles, cycling, etc. My Father In Law has a boat and we have eaten pounds and pounds of fresh cod, landed daily. The freezer at home is chocker with free fish. Blissful.

Mainly I use very very small hideaway sites.  nothing organised like the Camping and Caravan club per se,  but very very small sites,  off the beaten track.  They are hard to find though as site owners want to squeeze as many sardines on their field as possible to maximise profit sadly.  I just think I'm an anti social arse :).  My idea of living hell would be something like this:

So I scour the less busy parts of the country to find sites that only take 10 tents maximum and give each tent massive amounts of space.  if I'm within 50 feet of another tent in any direction ,  then I'm too close.  I detest other people's noise when I'm trying to sleep,  so find your average campsite quite stressful.  I do take my daughter,  have done since she was little,  but she's happy with her I spy books,  lots of nature,  some drawing stuff,  an old rope or tyre swing, we play cards, the simple old fashioned things,  but she has always loved our camping trips :)

Never wild camped,  but do like the idea :)

What your kids have been doing is what camping should be about for me.  Taking away computer games,  electronic devices and entertainment and all the trappings of the modern materialistic world and just letting kids enjoy a field,  a little stream,  some sticks,  and finding how much fun they can have with these simple things,  some sun and their imagination.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2014, 01:04:01 pm by leivapool »
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't