Author Topic: The Office (American version)  (Read 75275 times)

Offline gwto

• Main Stander
  • "Game Well and Truly Over, and I hate saying that"
Re: The Office (American version)
« Reply #680 on: May 16, 2013, 08:04:42 pm »
Final episode tonight in the US. Overall, I think the writers deserve credit for the show taking its own path away from the UK version after the first series/season. Maybe it should have ended after Steve Carell left, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #681 on: May 16, 2013, 08:39:35 pm »
Final episode tonight in the US. Overall, I think the writers deserve credit for the show taking its own path away from the UK version after the first series/season. Maybe it should have ended after Steve Carell left, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up.
Is it the final ever one tonight?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #682 on: May 16, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »
Limping over the line. Big shame as at its best it was right up there with the original.

Cash is king though so not surprising to see it go on too long.

Offline gwto

• Main Stander
  • "Game Well and Truly Over, and I hate saying that"
« Reply #683 on: May 16, 2013, 08:51:48 pm »
Is it the final ever one tonight?

Yep

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #684 on: May 16, 2013, 09:07:44 pm »
The later series veered in quality massively, looking back making Andy the manager was a terrible idea for the show.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #685 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:57 pm »
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #686 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:33 pm »
Limping over the line. Big shame as at its best it was right up there with the original.

You're having a laugh saying that.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #687 on: May 17, 2013, 06:32:38 pm »
Is is worth watching? :D
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: May 17, 2013, 10:08:32 pm »
Is is worth watching? :D

Yes, was a fitting end to the series and finished on a high
Spoiler
that's what she said
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #689 on: May 18, 2013, 09:02:02 am »
I haven't watched it since Carrell left. I saw a few of the early episodes after Andy took over but I think it had lost its touch. I'll be watching the final episode though. My favourite episode is by far Michael and Jan's dinner party. The show produced some great characters over the years and for me, tops the orginal by a long way.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #690 on: May 18, 2013, 09:05:49 am »
I haven't watched it since Carrell left. I saw a few of the early episodes after Andy took over but I think it had lost its touch. I'll be watching the final episode though. My favourite episode is by far Michael and Jan's dinner party. The show produced some great characters over the years and for me, tops the orginal by a long way.

Loved his plasma TV in that episode.....

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #691 on: May 19, 2013, 10:14:42 pm »
Just watched the Special episode and the finale.

I loved every minute and was wishing it would never end.

I'll really miss this show.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: May 19, 2013, 11:56:27 pm »

Whoa, whoa, whoa there.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: May 20, 2013, 09:51:08 am »
First couple of series’ of this were decent but to say it's up there or even better than the original is ridiculous. It's no where near as good.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #694 on: May 20, 2013, 09:55:23 am »
They're completely different and should be enjoyed independently. I was a bit let down by the last episode in truth. The fact it was set a year down the line sort of threw me, then it just lacked the oomph it needed I think. Decent enough episode I guess.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:57 am »
They're completely different and should be enjoyed independently. I was a bit let down by the last episode in truth. The fact it was set a year down the line sort of threw me, then it just lacked the oomph it needed I think. Decent enough episode I guess.

The wife and I enjoyed it. But they totally under used Carrell in the last episode.
I think they finished the Pam & Jim story off nicely (along with previous episode with the DVD).
I'll miss the show, but for us it had lost the magic of series 2 to maybe series 5. The wife and and I are going to watch them all again in the coming weeks.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:42 am »
The show produced some great characters over the years and for me, tops the orginal by a long way.

Just....wow.

I quite like the US Office, but its not in the same league as the original. Possibly due to there only being 13 episodes of the original, but each one is a work of genius. That's the beauty of it, much like Fawlty Towers, and the same for Extras as well (although I wasn't a massive fan of that).
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #697 on: May 20, 2013, 10:30:44 am »
The wife and I enjoyed it. But they totally under used Carrell in the last episode.
I think they finished the Pam & Jim story off nicely (along with previous episode with the DVD).
I'll miss the show, but for us it had lost the magic of series 2 to maybe series 5. The wife and and I are going to watch them all again in the coming weeks.

Yeah must have had to pay him per word or something. I was a bit miffed Holly wasn't there also, and it sort of skimmed over his 'family' which was effectively Michael's happy ending/dream. I was thinking someone was going to ask Pam if she ever had a thing with the cameraman at the end and throw a curveball at them.

Andy's ending was a bit poor too. Some of the highs were quite amazing. Some of the lows were really down there. The last couple of season's I watched just to see it through to conclusion. Don't quite think it lived up to what it should have been after Michael left. Never really liked the additional supporting characters like Erin, Nellie, Plop, Clark......

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: May 20, 2013, 02:56:12 pm »
Yeah must have had to pay him per word or something. I was a bit miffed Holly wasn't there also, and it sort of skimmed over his 'family' which was effectively Michael's happy ending/dream. I was thinking someone was going to ask Pam if she ever had a thing with the cameraman at the end and throw a curveball at them.

Andy's ending was a bit poor too. Some of the highs were quite amazing. Some of the lows were really down there. The last couple of season's I watched just to see it through to conclusion. Don't quite think it lived up to what it should have been after Michael left. Never really liked the additional supporting characters like Erin, Nellie, Plop, Clark......

Pretty much agree with your analysis. Yeah, loads of unanswered stuff.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #699 on: May 20, 2013, 03:04:54 pm »
Stopped watching the season Michael started his own paper company as it was getting a little silly. Is the rest of it worth picking up?

Seasons 2-4 were great stuff though.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: May 20, 2013, 03:17:29 pm »
Whats everyones favorite episode?

I'll go with the Dundies. Awkwardness personified!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #701 on: November 16, 2016, 12:22:18 pm »
Up to the beginning of season 4 on this. Carrell has brought me tears at times from the the excessive laughing.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: November 16, 2016, 12:55:08 pm »
Whats everyones favorite episode?

I'll go with the Dundies. Awkwardness personified!

sorry, three years late with this...

i'll go with The Injury, when he cooks his foot.

also love the dinner party one with michael and jan, that plasma TV moment especially is gold. i'm sure you do, since you enjoy awkwardness

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #703 on: December 10, 2018, 11:52:54 pm »
Michael: "...I know a ton of 14 year-old girls who could kick his ass."

Jim: "You know a ton of fourteen year-old girls?"

Dwight: "What belt are they?"
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #704 on: December 11, 2018, 11:16:41 am »
Michael: "...I know a ton of 14 year-old girls who could kick his ass."

Jim: "You know a ton of fourteen year-old girls?"

Dwight: "What belt are they?"

Hahahaha.

The fire drill is the greatest cpld open to a TV show I've ever seen.

It is. Nothing beats that opening.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #705 on: December 11, 2018, 11:53:12 am »
The fire drill is the greatest cpld open to a TV show I've ever seen.
Spellbinding.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #706 on: December 11, 2018, 12:31:09 pm »
Quick question - where do people think this ranks in the Michael Schuur-verse of 4 (all imo outstanding) sitcoms?  I think the last 2/3 seasons let it down massively, but at it's peak (seasons 2-4) was as good as anything else (and better than the original, largely as I hate Ricky Gervais with every fibre of my being).  I do think his shows have a lot in common (in terms of niceness, good characterisations, etc.)so I think it is very difficult to rank.  I think I rank them (looking at overall the shows, not at their peak), and this could change tomorrow it is so close between all 4:

1)  The Good Place - Edges first place because, as much as people have criticised the first half of the third season compared to the other 2 seasons, I think it has not had quite as many lows as the P&R, plus the best episodes of this blow the best episodes of the P&R out of the water (in fact, I'd say the only other sitcom since 2000 which had the ability to occasionally produce the magic TGP has at it's very best was Community).
2)  Parks and Recreation -  More consistent, but never had as high a high as a few episodes of TGP; and the last 2/3 seasons were a slight decline in quality (but still consistent in their approach); what lets this down was the first pilot season being too much like the Office. 
3)  Brooklyn 99 - Again, this only just edges out the Office due to there hasn't really been any consistently poor seasons so far, they have all been roughly of the same quality; nothing too ground breaking, but nothing as high peak wise as the others in the list
4)  The Office - In last place, despite having higher highs than B99 and possibly P&R for two reasons - the first season being a shot for shot for the UK version, which I did not enjoy and actually on the first 2 times I tried watching this version caused me to switch off and not continue; and the last 2/3 seasons being by a margin the worst seasons of any of the shows on this list.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: December 11, 2018, 01:41:47 pm »
Quick question - where do people think this ranks in the Michael Schuur-verse of 4 (all imo outstanding) sitcoms?  I think the last 2/3 seasons let it down massively, but at it's peak (seasons 2-4) was as good as anything else (and better than the original, largely as I hate Ricky Gervais with every fibre of my being).  I do think his shows have a lot in common (in terms of niceness, good characterisations, etc.)so I think it is very difficult to rank.  I think I rank them (looking at overall the shows, not at their peak), and this could change tomorrow it is so close between all 4:

1)  The Good Place - Edges first place because, as much as people have criticised the first half of the third season compared to the other 2 seasons, I think it has not had quite as many lows as the P&R, plus the best episodes of this blow the best episodes of the P&R out of the water (in fact, I'd say the only other sitcom since 2000 which had the ability to occasionally produce the magic TGP has at it's very best was Community).
2)  Parks and Recreation -  More consistent, but never had as high a high as a few episodes of TGP; and the last 2/3 seasons were a slight decline in quality (but still consistent in their approach); what lets this down was the first pilot season being too much like the Office. 
3)  Brooklyn 99 - Again, this only just edges out the Office due to there hasn't really been any consistently poor seasons so far, they have all been roughly of the same quality; nothing too ground breaking, but nothing as high peak wise as the others in the list
4)  The Office - In last place, despite having higher highs than B99 and possibly P&R for two reasons - the first season being a shot for shot for the UK version, which I did not enjoy and actually on the first 2 times I tried watching this version caused me to switch off and not continue; and the last 2/3 seasons being by a margin the worst seasons of any of the shows on this list.

The Good Place would be bottom for me. Think it's a really clever show, and deserves plaudits for not resting on its laurels and consistently shifting the status quo. But for me, that makes it a difficult show to love. I'm also not a big fan of the use of cliffhangers, which I find a bit jarring on a sitcom.

Parks & Rec is my favourite of the bunch. Absolutely love that show, and all of the characters in it. The universe it managed to create, with such a deep bench of supporting characters, was remarkable. Saw it compared to a live action The Simpsons in that regard, and there's definitely weight to that argument.

The Office definitely outstayed its welcome, but I think Season 2 and 3 are truly fantastic. Can't believe it went on for nine seasons in the end - should definitely have finished when Steve Carell left, if not earlier.

Also love Brooklyn Nine Nine although I feel it's definitely starting to decline. It is so, so hard to maintain a sitcom's quality, and almost every one eventually leans too heavily on their character's broadest traits (Friends is a particularly egregious example of this, particularly Monica and Joey). I was sorry to see B99 get cancelled, but part of me would have preferred it stay dead as I'm not sure they'll be able to equal what has come before.

Schur has a new show coming out on NBC in Spring which I'm curious to see. Sounds like a real departure for him - it's set at an outdoor bar, and is shot outside with a live audience. Could be a disaster, but nice to see him experimenting (as he is doing with The Good Place).

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: December 11, 2018, 01:55:43 pm »

Instant credibility loss there I'm afraid

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: December 11, 2018, 02:05:16 pm »
I was sorry to see B99 get cancelled, but part of me would have preferred it stay dead as I'm not sure they'll be able to equal what has come before.

Schur has a new show coming out on NBC in Spring which I'm curious to see. Sounds like a real departure for him - it's set at an outdoor bar, and is shot outside with a live audience. Could be a disaster, but nice to see him experimenting (as he is doing with The Good Place).

Interesting thoughts overall - I think NBC's record with sitcoms, especially the other Schuur universe shows, coupled with Fox's abject one, bears well - if it went somewhere else, I would be more worried, but I am not because it's gone to NBC (where, as they said, it probably should have been in the first place given the others).

And as for the cliff hangers - I like that about TGP, as there is actual continued story telling in the show, unlike the vast majority of comedies around, and it keeps you hooked; I agree it wouldn't work in the majority of more traditional, "reset the situation every week" shows.

Also, to to show just how close I placed TGP and P&R - if last week's episode hadn't been so fantastic (possibly top 20 episode ever of any comedy ever it was that good), and so fresh in my mind, I would have reversed the order.

That sounds interesting, and definitely one I can't wait to watch - the man can do no wrong in my eyes.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: December 11, 2018, 06:08:39 pm »
PnR
Office
B99
Good Place

PnR is easily the best, The Office would be first if it ended at season 5 or so, Brooklyn 99 is consistently fun and Good Place has fallen off a cliff after season one.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: December 12, 2018, 10:53:42 am »
I'd go as far as to say P&R and B99 are two of my favourite sitcoms. Below Its Always Sunny in far and away first place.

P&R & TGP  are definitely in my top 5 sitcoms since 2000, but as much as I do like IASIP, I have never thought it as being in that echelon (too many mediocre episodes/seasons - this season alone there were maybe 2/3 very good episodes, and the rest average); for me, top 5 sitcoms since 2000 would include Community, P&R, TGP, The Thick of It, and Arrested Development (ignoring the average at best seasons 4/5), with Veep/IT Crowd/30 Rock definitely in the next 5, alongside 2 from Party Down/IASIP/You're the Worst/Broad City.  And that's ignoring the animated ones, otherwise Archer/Bojack/Bob's Burgers would all be very close too.  Party Down being the most under-rated/under-watched show on that list.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: December 13, 2018, 08:35:59 pm »

Is it just Ricky Gervais? He can be annoying agreed but there's nothing in the American one that the British one doesn't do better IMO, without it being schmaltzy as generally American sitcoms tend to be (with a few exceptions).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: December 14, 2018, 10:20:08 am »
I think of them as entirely separate shows after the pilot. Even though it's based off the same thing, I just can't compare.

Yeah I see what you mean, the US one did morph into its own thing and was all the better for it and it had some great episodes, although I still find it easy to compare the two :P. It did go on too long though and lost its way ultimately.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: December 14, 2018, 11:54:22 am »
I gave this a re-watch a while back, awesome show but it got worse the more prominent Andy got, such an awful character that gets more and more irritating with repeat viewings.

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #715 on: December 14, 2018, 07:57:29 pm »
I gave this a re-watch a while back, awesome show but it got worse the more prominent Andy got, such an awful character that gets more and more irritating with repeat viewings.

That's pretty much Ed Helms in everything he does - always annoying and must have some clause in every contract he signs for a show/film that he gets to sing like a twat

can't stand the bastard

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: December 15, 2018, 09:54:47 am »

Definitely, the success of the Hangover film helped ruin The Office as they pushed his character to the front of the show. It's no surprise when they wrote him out via a boat trip in the final season the quality did pick up again.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #717 on: December 15, 2018, 10:10:09 am »
Cornell studying insufferable twat.

I remember watching him in the series, getting annoyed with him and wondering if that guy is supposed to be funny.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: December 15, 2018, 12:15:52 pm »
Am I the only person who liked the Nard-Dog?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: December 15, 2018, 01:33:29 pm »
Am I the only person who liked the Nard-Dog?

Well he was always incredibly annoying, and a deliberate caricature, but it was much funnier early doors and gradually just became lazier and lazier