Author Topic: The Office (American version)  (Read 75277 times)

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Office (American version)
« Reply #640 on: April 22, 2011, 01:02:18 pm »
that was some of the cringiest tv i've ever seen last night. not the funny kind either. and when did they all start laughing at every one of michael scott's jokes? they are all pretty much dickheads, all the main players anyway, dwight, jim, pam and michael.

Online Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #641 on: May 3, 2011, 11:52:20 am »
I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I've really got into this lately having watched the first 3 series. I've just ordered series 4 now. It was always going to get comparisons to the UK version but the major difference for me with the 2 version is that Michael Scott is so likeably, where as I don't think Ricky Gervais' character was. Michael Scott is the affectionate boss who you always want to succeed. David Brent is a horrible character in my opinion. I struggle to watch scenes with him because its so cringeworthy that I can't seem to like him.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: May 3, 2011, 04:30:50 pm »
I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I've really got into this lately having watched the first 3 series. I've just ordered series 4 now. It was always going to get comparisons to the UK version but the major difference for me with the 2 version is that Michael Scott is so likeably, where as I don't think Ricky Gervais' character was. Michael Scott is the affectionate boss who you always want to succeed. David Brent is a horrible character in my opinion. I struggle to watch scenes with him because its so cringeworthy that I can't seem to like him.

The UK Office is my all time favourite comedy, it exemplified what genius is. I never liked the American Office as much but lately I've been getting into it and quite ejoying it so far. The two are very different though; bar the fact that obviously it's set in an office, there's an idiot boss and US equivalents of Gareth, Dawn and Tim they are all very much different than their English counterparts. You said Scott is more likeable than Brent but I think Gervais played that character exceptionally well for a man who had never acted before and that's what people often forget. Steve Carell obviously had acted before and I think his character can grate on you after a while whereas the camera couldn't get enough of Brent.

I prefer Jim and Pam to Tim and Dawn but for me Gareth is a better assistant (to the) general manager than Dwight; It's just the way that Gareth tries to be taken seriously and believes he's a macho military man who knows all the rules in the book yet when you hear his west country accent it's impossible not to laugh.

Very different shows but the UK Office is untouchable in my opinion for characters, execution and just the right amount of emotion.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: May 3, 2011, 05:05:37 pm »
It's gone on for way too long. Ricky Gervais did right to stop Extra's and The UK Office just when they hit their peak. f a show goes on for too long it eventualy becomes stale.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: May 3, 2011, 05:23:13 pm »
It's gone on for way too long. Ricky Gervais did right to stop Extra's and The UK Office just when they hit their peak. f a show goes on for too long it eventualy becomes stale.

Not so sure that's the case - Curb is still going strong 7 seasons in for example whilst Peep Show also still has some brilliantly written episodes. It all depends on the writers and whether they can come up with brand new material. If things start to become rehashed and repetitive it's time to call it a day. Agree that the way Gervais and Merchant do things leaves you wanting more.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #645 on: May 4, 2011, 02:48:50 am »
The American Office tries hard to emulate it's British predecessor and I don't mind watching both. They both have their own merits.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #646 on: May 4, 2011, 04:38:16 am »
The American Office tries hard to emulate it's British predecessor

Bar the first season, I don't think it does.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: May 4, 2011, 08:03:31 am »

it really doesn't, barring the pilot episode

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #648 on: May 4, 2011, 11:13:48 am »
The first 4- 5 seasons of the american office are as good a comedy as you'll ever see.

Seasons 6 and 7 haven't scaled those heights. Michael Scott's departure was needed imo, freshens up the show. It could be the catalyst to get it going again or it could end it if it doesnt click. Either way it's a very good show and at times for me has surpassed even the original.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: May 8, 2011, 04:37:45 am »
I just watched the episode where Michael leaves.

I blubbed like a girly little girl. The scene between him and Jim was just brilliant.

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #650 on: May 13, 2011, 01:58:55 pm »
I think it goes without saying that The Office is nowhere near as funny as it was in seasons 1,2,3. It seems like the producers have ran dry of the same type of funny material. Gone are the days when they can just make an entire episode out of a game of basketball. Regardless, it still is a good show but nowhere near the genius of the original Office UK.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: May 13, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »
I think it goes without saying that The Office is nowhere near as funny as it was in seasons 1,2,3. It seems like the producers have ran dry of the same type of funny material. Gone are the days when they can just make an entire episode out of a game of basketball. Regardless, it still is a good show but nowhere near the genius of the original Office UK.

Totally agree, the recent Dundies episode was no way near as good as the original one. Still a great show though.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #652 on: May 13, 2011, 02:33:48 pm »
Be interesting to see all of the cameo's in next week's (is it next week?) episode. Some stella names appearing

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #653 on: May 13, 2011, 05:46:05 pm »
Be interesting to see all of the cameo's in next week's (is it next week?) episode. Some stella names appearing

Yep, Ricky Gervais is making another apperance. I hope they really do a lot with him.

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #654 on: May 14, 2011, 03:26:42 am »
The English version shits all over the American version in my opinion.

Steve Carell is sound.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:54:43 pm by hi mum! »

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: May 14, 2011, 04:58:52 am »
The English version shits all over the American version in my opinion.

Steve Carell is a bell end too.

Many jokes are lost in translation. If you think Carell is a "bellend" you are a poor judge of character/intelligence. Very smart man.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:47:06 am by blah »

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: May 14, 2011, 06:21:03 am »
Many jokes are lost in translation. If you think Carell is a "bellend" you are a poor judge of character/intelligence. Very smart man.

Not for one moment saying he isn't smart. There has been a few times he's came across very arrogant. Thinking back to be fair maybe bell end is a bit harsh. Ah well.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: May 14, 2011, 10:52:26 am »
Not for one moment saying he isn't smart. There has been a few times he's came across very arrogant. Thinking back to be fair maybe bell end is a bit harsh. Ah well.

You must of met him out of character to know that. Chances are, you've only seen his as Michael Scott, Evan Almighty, Brick etc....
I always thought Carrel was seen as one of the nicest guys in the business.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: May 14, 2011, 10:55:09 am »
Well, this last season has been incredibly shit.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: May 14, 2011, 05:54:12 pm »
You must of met him out of character to know that. Chances are, you've only seen his as Michael Scott, Evan Almighty, Brick etc....
I always thought Carrel was seen as one of the nicest guys in the business.

Maybe your right, I'm going to edit the bell end bit out right now ;D

Watched a few more interviews etc with him and he did come across a sound bloke to be fair. I'll let him off this time ;)

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #660 on: May 14, 2011, 06:16:34 pm »

I'm sorry if you had actually watched the American Office, you would realise this statement is pure garbage.  The first season they had to, but since then it is completely different.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: May 14, 2011, 09:57:40 pm »
I absolutely love the US one.  Can't say I've ever really watched the UK Office.

Offline macca1040

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #662 on: May 14, 2011, 10:26:44 pm »
If they had just done seasons 1 and 2, and a special like the UK version I think it would have been perfect. Those first 2 seasons are probably my favorite of any television show. They had a believable plot line and the perfect blend of comedy and sexual tension.

That being said, I've thoroughly enjoyed the other 5 or so seasons. But I find that I tune in now because I know the show is always good for a few laughs rather than because I'm invested in the characters or the plot line.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: May 14, 2011, 10:42:04 pm »
If they had just done seasons 1 and 2, and a special like the UK version I think it would have been perfect. Those first 2 seasons are probably my favorite of any television show. They had a believable plot line and the perfect blend of comedy and sexual tension.

That being said, I've thoroughly enjoyed the other 5 or so seasons. But I find that I tune in now because I know the show is always good for a few laughs rather than because I'm invested in the characters or the plot line.

Gotta disagree with this macca. Season 1 of the US office was a shambles. I've watched it once and I doubt I will again.

Offline macca1040

• Kemlynite
« Reply #664 on: May 14, 2011, 11:28:07 pm »
Gotta disagree with this macca. Season 1 of the US office was a shambles. I've watched it once and I doubt I will again.

To each their own I suppose. to be honest, I was a sap for the Jim/Pam romance and it got kinda stale and drawn out for me in the later seasons.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:41 pm »

Genius ;D
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Online Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #666 on: May 18, 2011, 02:20:07 pm »
Just finished series 4. I think Holly thinking of Kevin as special needs is my favourite office moment ever, had me in tears.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: May 21, 2011, 07:26:12 pm »
The Mirror and other sites reckon Catherine Tate is a strong contender to take over from Carell?

Offline dotmotion

• Anny Roader
« Reply #668 on: May 21, 2011, 07:52:17 pm »
The Mirror and other sites reckon Catherine Tate is a strong contender to take over from Carell?

I heard that rumour too. I hope not. She and Romano was the worse out of all the candidates. (I liked her in Doctor Who too) Her character just seems so much different than the current ensemble and we already say how poorly that worked with Ferrell. I really wanted Arnott but he had a pilot picked up so he can't do it. Spader was gold but I think he was just there for the weirdness. Too bad they just can't hire Buffet. Gas Mileage is important.

I hope they keep it in house with Darryl or Jim. The last two episodes without Carrell have been quite strong.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: May 21, 2011, 11:36:28 pm »
Yep Spader was the outstanding one in the list of candidates really.

And Creed was comedy gold haha. Did everyone else know he was actually a member of a 60s rock group called the Grass Roots??? I can't believe it...I love that song and I never noticed. I think he's the guitarist on the left of the drummer. He's on at 1:48

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnFZsrs32Co?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hnFZsrs32Co?fs=1</a>
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: May 21, 2011, 11:56:53 pm »
thought the last episode was poor. is that it for the season?

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #671 on: May 29, 2011, 01:19:40 pm »
thought the last episode was poor. is that it for the season?
It was mate

Get this

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:21:56 pm by oddball2514 »
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: July 7, 2011, 12:36:00 am »
Done Deal! James Spader joins The Office!

It’s official: The employees of Dunder Mifflin are getting a new CEO and his name is Robert California.
James Spader’s ultra-confident and sexually charged character featured briefly in the NBC hit’s May finale is set to join the cast of the show’s upcoming eighth season, NBC confirmed.
“James will reprise his role as Robert California, this uber-salesman that has a power to convince and manipulate, like a high-class weirdo Jedi warrior,” said Paul Lieberstein, one of the series’ executive producers and a series regular. “He’ll have been hired over the summer as the new manager, but within hours, got himself promoted. Within days, he took over the company. James has an energy that is completely his own, and The Office has no tools for dealing with this guy. We’re thrilled he’s joining our cast.”
NBC is set to announce the hire, adding a new well-known actor to the ensemble series that saw the departure of its biggest star, Steve Carell, this season, and will also say goodbye to recurring performer Kathy Bates as well. Bates played the company’s CEO last season, though Spader’s character is expected to have a greater presence on the show. EW first broke the news of Spader in talks for the part a CEO role week ago.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/06/james-spader-office/

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #673 on: July 8, 2011, 12:18:03 am »
Meh....could be worse...we shall see.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: July 8, 2011, 12:44:34 am »
Speak for yourself. I thought he was funny as fuck in the finale. I'm glad to see him brought on full time. I'm also glad they've left the boss' position open so far and still hope it goes to Arnett.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: July 8, 2011, 02:47:58 am »
Speak for yourself. I thought he was funny as fuck in the finale. I'm glad to see him brought on full time. I'm also glad they've left the boss' position open so far and still hope it goes to Arnett.

Drooling over that, to be honest. Arnett is my favorite funny guy ever, and Spader was boss on Boston Legal (and in his Office cameo).

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: July 8, 2011, 06:35:09 am »
Personally, whist I love the original Office, I find the American version is a lot more about comedy and a lot less about really awkward situations that make you feel really uneasy - especially the last series of the UK version.  For me, the US version has less of the cringeworthy moments than the UK version and I also think Michael Scott is a more likeable character than David Brent.

I think they're both great, but I would say that if you want to watch funny TV then watch the American version and if you want to watch funny but in an uncomfortable, cringeworthy way (if that even makes any sense at all!) then watch the UK version.

I watched the most recent three episodes of the US version last night that I'd recorded and they had me in stitches in places, absolutely brilliant.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2011, 06:37:07 am by LukeD »

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: August 2, 2011, 02:28:23 pm »
Personally, whist I love the original Office, I find the American version is a lot more about comedy and a lot less about really awkward situations that make you feel really uneasy - especially the last series of the UK version.  For me, the US version has less of the cringeworthy moments than the UK version and I also think Michael Scott is a more likeable character than David Brent.

I think they're both great, but I would say that if you want to watch funny TV then watch the American version and if you want to watch funny but in an uncomfortable, cringeworthy way (if that even makes any sense at all!) then watch the UK version.

I watched the most recent three episodes of the US version last night that I'd recorded and they had me in stitches in places, absolutely brilliant.

I've tried to watch the American version several times and just can't do it. It lacks the cringeworthiness of the original AND the humour. The cringeworthy moments of the original ARE what make it so brilliant/humorous. As fine an actor as Steve Carrell is, he's got nothing on Ricky Gervais' David. I cannot believe that people would argue that the American franchise is better than the original. No contest.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #678 on: August 2, 2011, 02:40:07 pm »
I did do, though thanks for giving me permission :P

New series starts 23rd of September over in the good ol US of A.

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #679 on: July 1, 2012, 03:36:04 pm »
Steve Carell was boss.

And,

Cant wait for September 20 for the Season-9 premiere.