Author Topic: since when did ?  (Read 8135 times)

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
since when did ?
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:06:39 pm »
reaching a final count towards a managers credits ? or maintaing a champions league position?
this is starting to really piss me off, its only being used by those trying to justify the failings of rafa,so why is it being used as an achievement, it means sweet f.a to a season ticket/auto cup scheme member only if you win,i mean walking back to a bus with a purple wristband after athens,do you think we classed getting there as a victory,no chance,and neither should anyone else use it either,????

do you use paisley reaching the fa cup just days before our greatest night in rome,do you bollocks,or shanklys trip to hampden park,and theres more,but we dont use them??????
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:11:33 pm by docker »
block 107

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
Re: since when did ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:07:41 pm »
:butt

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:07:52 pm »
:boring
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:09:26 pm »

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right here I am...
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:14:08 pm »

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:14:24 pm »
no not a victory but it's an achievement, in that it was 90 minutes away from a sixth european cup. Even getting to a final of this magnitude is an achievement... okay it may not seem it for us having been to 2 in 3 years but i'm sure Ferguson would have liked another crack at it.

It's used simply as a gauge of how good a manager Rafa Benitez is. In 3 years (yes I know you've heard it all before but you're obviously not listening) he's won two major trophies. I don't think anyone would have seriously expected him to do that, his youth teams have won two youth f.a cups back to back which demonstrates the quality of his young purchases.

Rafa is building a dynasty not just a quick fix, as Shanks was allowed to do.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:14:51 pm »
did any other manager come runner up in 2007?

did they manage to beat Barcalona 1-2 away, beat PSV(the team that kicked arsenal out) and Chelsea

and make it to the final thats no fluke mate?

did they play Lille and Roma and then get kicked out by the only decent opposition

and atleast the people walking out with that purple band got a chance to be there no LFC before 2005 had that for the prior 20 years
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:16:35 pm by LFCfan4Life »
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 11:15:26 pm »
reaching a final count towards a managers credits ? or maintaing a champions league position?
this is starting to really piss me off, its only being used by those trying to justify the failings of rafa,so why is it being used as an achievement, it means sweet f.a to a season ticket/auto cup scheme member only if you win,i mean walking back to a bus with a purple wristband after athens,do you think we classed getting there as a victory,no chance,and neither should anyone else use it either,????

The whole point was not that we reached a "random" final, we achieved it twice in 3 seasons. It proved that 2005 was no fluke, and we are capable of reaching (and winning) CL finals. The fact that not many clubs reach the final means that it is an achievement in itself, but getting to two means it can't be all miracles and luck

At the end of day, its all about whether you want to present a positive positve spin on achievements or a negative
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Serenity

• Legacy Fan
  • ...innuh in kuhtluss
    • Institutional Renaissance Academic System
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:32:10 pm »

do you use paisley reaching the fa cup just days before our greatest night in rome,do you bollocks,or shanklys trip to hampden park,and theres more,but we dont use them??????

It would have been the same had we gone out in the group stages
I am walking the earth... ... walking the earth. My marido is basque, he is bright; my children are resplendent, luminous. We are walking the earth... ... walking earth... ...walking earth...

I say. I decide....such is life...happy in faith.
God has spoken; be careful, imitation is flattery.

- Tee'kum'tee'bak'kai'laa bak'kuh'laa'aa'aa'aa'aal

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:35:57 pm »
 :boring     :butt
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Cob from TIA

• Scum.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I've noticed you around here, do you work out?"
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37:22 pm »
since when did reaching a final count towards a managers credits ?

... since the number finals reached by his team in a particular competition (in this case the Champions League) inside three seasons equals the total number of appearances in the final of the same competition for all other clubs from the same country in the previous twenty years.

If you mean a manager's reputation/standing when you say 'credits' that is.
A mate of mine on Evertonians:

"They're a bit like the Scottish really, bitter, foul-mouthed, angry and shit."

Offline StuH

• Legacy Fan
  • Dalglish's marching army!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 11:52:32 pm »
Fucking boring all of these bollocks threads.

If the internet and 24 sports coverage existed in 1968/69, Shankly would have got the sack.
He's a manipulative bastard. Another deliberate attempt to put pressure on people in the game, which he thinks he'll get away with because of his "standing" in the game and his fucking knighthood.

Offline inq80

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 11:55:34 pm »
If the internet and 24 sports coverage existed in 1968/69, Shankly would have got the sack.

sumed up nicely - in fact that's going in my sig  8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:01:58 am by inq80 »

Offline Libero

• Legacy Fan
  • Viva Liverpool
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 12:26:26 am »
did any other manager come runner up in 2007?

did they manage to beat Barcalona 1-2 away, beat PSV(the team that kicked arsenal out) and Chelsea

and make it to the final thats no fluke mate?

did they play Lille and Roma and then get kicked out by the only decent opposition

and atleast the people walking out with that purple band got a chance to be there no LFC before 2005 had that for the prior 20 years

Terrific post mate.  Alas, it's wasted on these people like docker i suspect.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 12:31:47 am »
Poor Rafa just cant win can he? RAWK thread titles are getting more and more like gutter press headlines.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 12:32:11 am »
The way we handled our group and topped it with relative ease

The way we dusted ourselves down from being a goal down in the Nou Camp to hang in there long enough to equalise at HT and then having the bollocks to nick the winner. All before we battered them for 45mins at Anfield.

The way we brushed PSV aside with a clinical performance in Eindhoven

The way we played shit in the first leg against Chelsea but battled through (largely thanks to Pepe "Doesn't make many saves" Reina) enough to allow Danny Agger, overwhelmed in the first leg, to score the vital goal for us before we went toe to toe with Chelsea (as opposed to camping in our half for 85 minutes).

The way we controlled posession and didn't look shit scared in Athens against Milan

I dunno about you but the way we matured and progressed as a team in the European Cup last year, for me, was fucking impressive. It without a doubt saved our season last year but in terms of mentality and style of play for Europe, was a huge step in the right direction despite our obvious shortcomings in the final. It was as important as some of the league form we showed in the last two-thirds of the league 2005/6  season IMO
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline smithy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 12:35:06 am »
Lucky bastard, getting a wristband ;)

Offline redman1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Biggedy biggedy bong so it is
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 12:35:43 am »
I swear they have installed computers for patients in Ashworth hospital
The greatest night of my life so far

25/05/2005 Attaturk Stadium, Istanbul

North Tribune    Block 306   Row 13   Seat  343

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 12:40:38 am »
Since when did starting another thread on a subject covered in a half dozen threads on here already justify starting another one. This is starting to really piss me off.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 12:48:17 am »

Err, yeah. I do use Paisley's Fa Cup final. I know loads of other lads that do an all. And rightly so. To get that close to the treble was an incredible achievement. And saying that, so is Rafa's 2 CL finals in 3 seasons. So, if you want to have a go at Rafa, do so by all means. But for fucks sake, at least attack him for his failings and not his achievements.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 01:15:28 am »

Look at it the other way. Does not reaching finals count against a manager? or failing to maintain a champs league position? Obviously it does. So why can't the opposite apply?
 The phrase "first is first, second is nowhere" doesn't really apply. If getting to the final isn't worth anything, then it's the same as getting knocked out in the first round. Presumably it only counts if you actually win.
By the same logic, winning the Premier League is what matters, and if a manager doesn't win it, it doesn't matter whether the team finishes 2nd or 17th.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 01:16:59 am by RJH »

Offline althered68

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 01:27:13 am »
My God, where will it end?! These types of threads actually picking holes in a European campaign that saw us beat Barca away and overcome Chelsea again are absolutley fucking unbelievable.

Whoever it was that made the comment about Shankly getting sacked if there was an internet and Slysports in 68'-69' was fucking spot on.

Maybe Rafa's tenure is coming to an end, maybe it isn't, but for Christ's sake how ridiculous are we going to get here?!
My Canada includes Liverpool!!!

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 01:39:28 am »
It's only docker.
It's a bit like Michael Jackson's doctor commenting on what makes a good plastic surgeon.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline seattlered

• Main Stander
  • [this space is available]
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 05:52:56 am »
Boutros Boutros Ghali?

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 07:23:33 am »
yeah, since when has a champions league final appearance been the saving grace of a manager who'd won no silverware and finished 4th in the league two years in a row?

*cough* Arsene Wenger *cough*
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 07:47:09 am »

Whoever it was that made the comment about Shankly getting sacked if there was an internet and Slysports in 68'-69' was fucking spot on.

I disagree. I would say the '69/70 season. LOL.

Offline TheInquisition

• Main Stander
  • Educate the masses to HJC
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 07:59:25 am »
1983 F.A. Cup

Liverpool 2 Brighton and Hove Albion 3.

At Anfield.

Sack Paisley....finished fifth one year too. Honest to God Sky Sports Warriors he did!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 08:03:22 am »
we gain so many whoppers supporting us?

Offline TheInquisition

• Main Stander
  • Educate the masses to HJC
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 08:16:59 am »
Indeed we do..by the way my first game was Oldham 1977 F.A. Cup ....."Whopper" of a game.

Now if anyone does not understand the irony of my earlier post then you really should educate yourself into The Liverpool Way.

RTK - Reclaim The Klub.

Wools out.

Offline ArcticRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 08:20:29 am »
I tend to wonder...
if we had won the Prem in 2005... and finished close second in 2007... while at the same time getting stomped by the mid-range euro teams in the group stages of the CL every year... would these promoters of the "the Prem is the end all, be all. CL means nothing"-view have been any happier? Part of me thinks "Nah! They would then be whining about our bad runs and lack of trophies in Europe". Funny thing is... the other part is thinking the same.

oh, and Hi!, btw. Long time lurker, recent sign-up :)

Offline jimmy d

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 08:24:17 am »

"In the Champions League, Liverpool can beat any team. And we are going to go far in the Champions League again." - Pepe

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 08:30:02 am »
I tend to wonder...
if we had won the Prem in 2005... and finished close second in 2007... while at the same time getting stomped by the mid-range euro teams in the group stages of the CL every year... would these promoters of the "the Prem is the end all, be all. CL means nothing"-view have been any happier? Part of me thinks "Nah! They would then be whining about our bad runs and lack of trophies in Europe". Funny thing is... the other part is thinking the same.

Howdy and welcome. Your point is a good one.

Offline crealism

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 08:58:49 am »
Then what else counts?

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 09:01:18 am »
Can a mod change his name to cocker?

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 10:26:42 am »

It's used simply as a gauge of how good a manager Rafa Benitez is. In 3 years (yes I know you've heard it all before but you're obviously not listening) he's won two major trophies. I don't think anyone would have seriously expected him to do that, his youth teams have won two youth f.a cups back to back which demonstrates the quality of his young purchases.

Only time will tell if those FA youth cup wins mean anything,producing players for the first team or selling players on and earning the club money are what counts.
I tend to wonder...

No most of us recognise that the league is the most important and always should be.As a season ticket holder I put the money up front to watch 19 league games and hopefully for the team to put in 100% effort in every one of them,Europe is a bonus,a nice one admittedly.The C/L is a farce,unlike the European Cup proper when you actually had to win the league to earn the right to play in it.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 10:31:41 am »
Since this -

We didn't win that day but we still appreciate that he got us there in the first place, and gave us a chance.

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 10:44:12 am »
Did Bobby Robson not get a knighthood shortly after getting to the WC semi's in 1990? I may be wrong, but didn't getting to a couple of finals save Bryan Robson's job when he got Boro relegated?

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 10:52:44 am »
reaching a final count towards a managers credits ?

The "Special one" missed out twice.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 10:55:37 am »
Given our recent history I would have thought 2 European Cup Finals in 3 years was impressive, apparently not. Or perhaps you've been asleep since 1990

*whispers* We've been crap for 15 years

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 10:56:30 am »

If it wasn't for the support of TV Williams Shanks would have got the sack.
It seems to me that Docker is only saying what Bill said himself.
"1st is everything 2nd is nothing "
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century