Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12365985 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #98680 on: January 17, 2019, 04:25:46 pm »
If this continues for a few years, and more and more young players leave, I wonder if it will lead to teams being allowed to have "B" teams playing in the football pyramid to try and entice these players to stick around.

Problem is convincing the lower league teams that there is something in it for them. The "League Three" idea was never going to get off the ground as there was nothing in it at all for the smaller clubs. If they get something out of it, then it's a different story.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98681 on: January 18, 2019, 02:38:36 pm »
Derby County@dcfcofficial

Lampard has confirmed that @HarryWilson_ will spend the rest of the season with the club, after the recall clause included in his loan agreement expired.

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #98682 on: January 20, 2019, 12:35:48 pm »
Liverpool U23s host West Bromwich Albion in the group stage of the Premier League Cup today - watch the game live on LFCTV and LFCTV GO from 12.30pm GMT.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:37:36 pm by Dudek savessssss.........! »
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #98683 on: January 20, 2019, 12:38:21 pm »
Hopefully play Markovic into a bit of form, he could be vital in these next few months
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #98684 on: January 20, 2019, 01:51:27 pm »
Hopefully play Markovic into a bit of form, he could be vital in these next few months

Probably the bestest ever 45 mins from any player in the reserves ever seen

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98685 on: January 20, 2019, 02:12:57 pm »

What if we loan him? And then we have injuries - it will be a crazy decision won't it?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #98686 on: January 20, 2019, 02:23:38 pm »
1-1 a lovely goal by Virtue.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98687 on: January 20, 2019, 02:32:12 pm »
Hopefully Virtue gets another loan to an EFL club before the end of the month, it would be good for him to go out and get opportunities before the summer.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98688 on: January 20, 2019, 03:27:08 pm »
Hopefully Virtue gets another loan to an EFL club before the end of the month, it would be good for him to go out and get opportunities before the summer.

He should do he is a useful player, unforuntate about Curtis Jones getting injured though I hope its not bad. I was hoping he would continue with the first team for this season.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98689 on: January 20, 2019, 03:45:29 pm »
He should do he is a useful player, unforuntate about Curtis Jones getting injured though I hope its not bad. I was hoping he would continue with the first team for this season.

He's got an eye for a goal, he's at an age where regular playing time in League One or Two for a few months could be the making of him.

Yeah, hopefully Jones is alright.  It was nice to see Niall Brookwell make his debut for the under-23's though.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98690 on: January 20, 2019, 03:56:00 pm »
He's got an eye for a goal, he's at an age where regular playing time in League One or Two for a few months could be the making of him.

Yeah, hopefully Jones is alright.  It was nice to see Niall Brookwell make his debut for the under-23's though.

He has got a good eye for goal been doing it on regular basis throughout his time here as well, a natural attribute.

I was delighted about Brookwell getting his chance people have been speaking about him for a while too, be interesting to see how quickly he moves up full time.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #98691 on: January 20, 2019, 05:54:25 pm »
He has got a good eye for goal been doing it on regular basis throughout his time here as well, a natural attribute.

I was delighted about Brookwell getting his chance people have been speaking about him for a while too, be interesting to see how quickly he moves up full time.

Agreed but the some of the players making their U23 debut of late, eg Brookwell and o’Rourke, are doing so because they are not first choice in the U18s so are making up the bench numbers when the U23s are short of players.  That is not to say either player is not good enough, but the U18s are quite settled and playing well so it is hard to break in if you have been out with injury, which Brookwell seems to have been.  Quite tall for a midfielder. 

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98692 on: January 21, 2019, 07:13:46 pm »
Good game this and nice to see a couple of new faces for the 18s.

Still 0-0 but there's been chances for both teams.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98693 on: January 21, 2019, 07:33:44 pm »
1-0 Abdi with the header.

Ffs no it wasn't Abdi it was Rhys Williams.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:38:42 pm by reddebs »

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98694 on: January 21, 2019, 07:38:33 pm »
Liking the look of Clarkson so far. First time I've seen him play, has great technique & quick feet.

Great save by Jaros there. Wasn't Abdi with the goal, by the way - it was Rhys Williams.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98695 on: January 21, 2019, 07:46:47 pm »
Great finish by Glatzel, brilliant header.

Larouci has been really good at LB.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98696 on: January 21, 2019, 07:53:49 pm »

Wasn't Abdi with the goal, by the way - it was Rhys Williams.

I realised after I'd posted mate no idea why I put Abdi!

Some good performances tonight all over the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98697 on: January 21, 2019, 08:38:51 pm »
Lovely move and finish by Glatzel.

Some good performances all over but Larouci has been excellent, been really impressed with him at LB this season.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98698 on: January 21, 2019, 08:47:16 pm »
Glatzel gets his hat-trick.  Duncan probably should have had one too tonight.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98699 on: January 21, 2019, 08:58:48 pm »
Was a pretty routine win. Wigan should be tougher, wonder if we'll drop down jones for this if we get much further.

Manchester United out to brighton tonight.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98700 on: January 21, 2019, 08:59:11 pm »
Poor old Bobby the goal gods were against him tonight but he never gave up.

Good game and good result too, Wigan up next.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #98701 on: January 21, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »
Lovely move and finish by Glatzel.

Some good performances all over but Larouci has been excellent, been really impressed with him at LB this season.

Been very good in the limited amount of games I've seen him play. Will he be sticking at left back for the future, always thought he was a midfielder.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #98702 on: January 21, 2019, 09:02:26 pm »
Was a pretty routine win. Wigan should be tougher, wonder if we'll drop down jones for this if we get much further.

Manchester United out to brighton tonight.

Haha remember seeing an article or two about the second coming of the class of 92 after they beat Chelsea was it in the last round  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98703 on: January 21, 2019, 09:03:10 pm »
Poor old Bobby the goal gods were against him tonight but he never gave up.

Good game and good result too, Wigan up next.

I really like Bobby works so hard every game. It was good to hear Larouci has continued his good form, he always catches my eye.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98704 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:13 pm »
I really like Bobby works so hard every game. It was good to hear Larouci has continued his good form, he always catches my eye.
Seems they're trying him out there since Adam Lewis moved up to the 23s, similar to Rafa.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98705 on: January 21, 2019, 09:10:46 pm »
Been very good in the limited amount of games I've seen him play. Will he be sticking at left back for the future, always thought he was a midfielder.

He is, like with Trent and Adam Lewis the move to full-back is proving to be a good one for him.  Thought he was the best player on the pitch tonight, he's got the pace to get up and down and he just breezes past defenders when he's in full flow.  His delivery was excellent too, think he got two assists in the end.

Remi Savage has flown under the radar a bit but I like him too, a left-footed CB with a good range of passing. 

Jaros just goes from strength to strength, we're a bit spoiler for choice in terms of goalkeepers at the academy. 

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #98706 on: January 21, 2019, 09:18:57 pm »
What was the final score?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98707 on: January 21, 2019, 09:31:17 pm »
What was the final score?
4-0 mate.

On  separate note, who have we drawn in the UEFA youth trophy?  I've not seen any mention of it since the draw.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98708 on: January 21, 2019, 09:31:43 pm »

4-0 mate.

On a separate note, who have we drawn in the UEFA youth trophy?  I've not seen any mention of it since the draw.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #98709 on: January 21, 2019, 09:32:35 pm »
4-0 mate.

On  separate note, who have we drawn in the UEFA youth trophy?  I've not seen any mention of it since the draw.

Nice one, cheers Debs. Very exciting group these u18s.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98710 on: January 21, 2019, 09:35:31 pm »
Nice one, cheers Debs. Very exciting group these u18s.
They are, so let's hope they see something for their efforts this season. 

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98711 on: January 21, 2019, 09:37:36 pm »
4-0 mate.

No one yet. Theres a play off round next month before we draw someone

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98712 on: January 21, 2019, 09:38:38 pm »
No one yet. Theres a play off round next month before we draw someone
Cheers Chris no wonder I've not heard anything.

Offline AayoTheRed

• Dem Rasta, not Rossiter, bloodclaat
  • Main Stander
  • yooooooo
I Wrote a Post About a Youth Team Player Called Leighton Clarkson
« Reply #98713 on: January 23, 2019, 07:15:35 am »
Hello friends,

This is a post I've been meaning to do for some time. There is a young player in our U18s who I am optimistic/excited about, and I want to share that excitement with you all.

Before I talk about the player, let me just tell you a bit about myself. I have been on RAWK/watching LFC U18s since 2005/6; that was the same year we won the FA Youth Cup vs. Man City. In a two legged final, we dominated the first leg 3-0 with a banger goal from Paul Anderson and (I think) a goal or two by Adam Hammill. In the second leg, we got smashed 2-0 by a City side that was spearheaded by a frighteningly talented forward - a Mr. Danny Sturridge.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of prospects come through the ranks. Some of them had world-class quality, and are proving that today eg. Sterling, or my favourite Suso. A lot of guys also didn't live up to the expectations that I/others had for them. Some examples are Gerardo Bruna, Astrit Ajdarevic, Krisztian Nemeth, Adam Pepper, Jack Dunn. I used to get super hyped up about the U18s and expect a couple of them to make the jump to the first team every year, but I have since learned to be more patient and realistic. Most of the kids in the U18s won't make it in top flight football, let alone Liverpool. We'd be lucky to have one regular first team player come through once every two-three years.

The reason I want to share this post with you is that I think this player has flown under the radar a bit, and I think like-minded fans will enjoy watching him. I am a huge fan of technical midfield players who can break the lines with their passing and dribbling/movement. It was for this reason that Suso was my favourite youth prospect, and its the same reason that I now love watching Clarkson. If you have a similar affinity for technical midfielders, you will enjoy watching this guy.

Who?

Leighton Clarkson. He is a 17 year old midfielder from Blackburn. He apparently made his debut last year for the U18s, but the first time I saw him was in the UEFA Youth League this season vs. Red Star. We won the game 2-1, but I was just blown away by this lad. We had players such as Curtis Jones, Adekanye, Rafa Camacho, and Hoever playing, but I was completely smitten by this player. There was one moment where the ball was launched 20 metres into the air, but Clarkson just killed the ball dead with his first touch and then released one of our forwards down a channel. He was surrounded by 3 players at the time.

What's he like?

I am loath to compare youth team players with established stars, but it's always hard to avoid making comparisons. I think Clarkson plays a little bit like Scholes/Joe Allen. He is always keen to receive the ball, is very good at finding space to receive the ball, and is extremely comfortable in possession. If you watched a compilation of his (none exist, to my knowledge), you would see that he plays as a number 6 and usually picks up the ball quite deep. Like Scholes, Clarkson is always looking to find the right angle and make a line-breaking pass. He usually dribbles a little bit so he can change the angle and find an advanced teammate.

The U18s play with a midfield 2 or 3 this season, and Clarkson is usually playing next to Jake Cain or Dixon-Bonner. In the 3, he plays as the deepest midfielder (#6, CDM). He always shows for the ball, creates a good angle to receive the pass. On the ball, he will look to invite pressure before releasing it, or more often will just look to pass forward and break the lines of the opponent. Doesn't try too many "Hollywood" passes, but sees a pass that most players would not see.

In a midfield 2, he is more dynamic. He will often join the attack and stay up the field to recycle possession. He is also very clever at counter-pressing. His interception numbers must be quite good. He needs to be good at this, because he isn't big at all. Thats why I compare him with Joe Allen, another small player who uses positioning and timing to win the ball. With the ball, all of the team's play goes through him. He is the metronome that keeps the team ticking. Very clever passing and really good technique (first touch, free kicks, long balls).

We played against Accrington Stanley yesterday in the FA Youth Cup. If somebody can dig up the game, you'd see that he showed his amazing one-touch and long passing all throughout the game. He completely bossed the game, and was by far the best player on the pitch (Duncan, Glatzel, Larouci, Dixon-Bonner were all playing too). He also has a decent set piece in his locker, as evidenced by a nice free kick vs Everton U18 some time ago.

What weaknesses?

Clarkson is quite a small player, so he has to use his positioning and body shape to keep/win the ball. He is also not that fast or strong, so he depends on his technique to get by. I haven't seen many teams try and mark him consistently, so we don't know how he performs under pressure. Unlike players like Woodburn and Jones, Clarkson has not made a rapid transition from U18 to reserve level, so we don't know he can perform versus more tactically and physically developed opposition.

What can we expect from him?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I am very excited by this player, but it's impossible to call which ones will break through and which ones won't. It's possible that he will become a great player at a lower-division level but not quite make it at the top. I've seen such a player before - Tom Cairney. I remember Cairney being quite impressive for Hull, but he couldn't keep them up. Despite that, Cairney was one of the best midfielders in the Championship. Now that he's back up with Fulham, the jury is out a bit. Clarkson could go down that route, but he could also become a top level midfielder. I am curious to see how he develops this season. Most likely will get a few appearances for the U23s, but not much more. He is quite small and needs to develop physically. Often gets subbed off as the game progresses, so maybe his stamina is also an issue?

I believe that Clarkson has been involved with England at some level, but I don't think he is well ingrained into the national set-up. We'll have to wait and see what happens to this guy, but I have seen a lot of things I really like. We are really lucky to have a lot of talented young players, but I think Clarkson has something different to many of the most talented players I have seen at U18 level. I would encourage my fellow Reds to keep their eyes peeled and try to watching him at U18 or reserve level. The next time he is likely to play is on Saturday, 26th Jan vs Man United U18. Keep a look out!

Hope you guys found this useful, and apologies for the lack of video links (whatever I can find is on paid LFCTV). Also disclaimer: this doesn't mean that I think he is better than Jones/Hoever/Camacho/Adekanye. Hoever has the most obvious talents, but I am a huge fan of calm, technical players, so I am very invested in seeing Clarkson do well. I'd love to know what views you guys have about this guy or whether you've heard anything about how the club view him.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
Re: I Wrote a Post About a Youth Team Player Called Leighton Clarkson
« Reply #98714 on: January 23, 2019, 09:58:33 am »
He is starting to stand out for sure. I saw a game a couple of months ago and I asked about him in the Youth threads- perhaps this is where this post should go?

Against Stanley (highlights on LFCTVGo) he dominated the midfield. Considering he is standing out amongst some of the best young players that we have had in a while (we have the best U18 team in the country); he has every chance of making it in the game.

My favourite U18 player is Bobby Duncan- brilliant, brilliant young prospect.

This should be moved to the Youth thread though

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98715 on: January 23, 2019, 12:24:09 pm »
I used to work with Leighton's mother.

Although to be fair, I'm not sure that's adding much to the debate.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98716 on: January 23, 2019, 01:24:04 pm »
Brewster ruled out for the rest of the season after a setback that required additional knee surgery. That is an awful long time out injured. His first knee surgery was only meant to keep him out until last pre season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6607683/Jurgen-Klopp-reveals-Liverpool-youngster-Rhian-Brewster-rest-season.html

Offline Two-Headed Sex Beast

• Kemlynite
« Reply #98717 on: January 23, 2019, 03:00:15 pm »
Looks like Liverpool have signed a 16 year old defender from Lyon. One to watch out for in the 18's. Let's hope he's as talented as Ki-Jana Hoever!

https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/1088085719275458560

Offline Two-Headed Sex Beast

• Kemlynite
« Reply #98718 on: January 23, 2019, 03:03:26 pm »
Great post OP.

He certainly does look promising, however you have to be really special to be that kind of player and make it at the top level. The odds are against you with the physical aspect being so important.

Looking forward to monitoring his progress.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #98719 on: January 23, 2019, 03:09:51 pm »
Gonna need a YouTube highlights package with shit music before I can get properly excited about a prospect, but he does sound promising.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.