Author Topic: Neil Young Appreciation  (Read 30064 times)

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Neil Young Appreciation
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 07:15:38 pm »
Sunday 26th at 6pm,planet rock, channel 0110 sky, live stuff with CSN.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 07:29:45 pm »
Sunday 26th at 6pm,planet rock, channel 0110 sky, live stuff with CSN.
Cheers Lah ! :)
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 09:43:25 pm »
Hammersmith appolo next wednesday, 7.30pm
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 10:23:46 pm »
I loved Buffalo Springfield, a band that few people know of.
Yes, they were very underrated. Several of the members went on to pretty successful careers of their own. Neil , Steve Stills to CSN, Richie Furay to Poco, Jimmy Messina to Loggins&Messina (yeah I know they were crap).
Neil's songs were always much edgier than the other guys.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:37:13 pm by richmond-red »

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #44 on: March 5, 2008, 10:44:45 am »
Tonights the night
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #45 on: March 5, 2008, 11:18:36 am »
Neil Young will play Ireland with two exclusive gigs in Dublin and Cork this summer.

Sun, Jun 29th 2008 8:00 pm - Malahide Castle      
Mon, Jun 30th 2008 8:00 pm - Live at the Marquee

Tickets will go on sale This Monday 10th March at 9am

Source: http://www.aikenpromotions.com/component/option,com_gigcal/task,details/gigcal_bands_id,253/Itemid,68/open_gig,253/

Tickets will be €81.25 Standing and will go on sale Monday 10th March at 9am from all Ticketmaster outlets nationwide, online at www.ticketmaster.ie and booking line no. 0818 719 300

Young's work is characterized by deeply personal lyrics, distinctive guitar work, and signature nasal tenor (and frequently alto) singing voice. Although he accompanies himself on several different instruments-including piano and harmonica-his style of hammer-on acoustic guitar and often idiosyncratic soloing on electric guitar are the linchpins of a sometimes ragged, sometimes polished sound.

Although Young has experimented widely with differing music styles, including swing, jazz, rockabilly, blues, and electronic music throughout a varied career, his best known work usually falls into either of two distinct styles: folk-esque acoustic rock (as heard in songs such as "Heart of Gold", "Harvest Moon" and "Old Man") and electric-charged hard rock (in songs like "Cinnamon Girl", "Rockin' in the Free World" and "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)"). In more recent years, Young has started to adopt elements from newer styles of music, such as industrial, alternative country and grunge, the latter of which was profoundly influenced by his own style of playing, often bringing him the title of "the godfather of grunge".

Young has directed (or co-directed) a number of films using the pseudonym Bernard Shakey, including Journey Through the Past (1973), Rust Never Sleeps (1979), Human Highway (1982), and Greendale (2003).

He is also an outspoken advocate for environmental issues and small farmers, having co-founded the benefit concert Farm Aid, and in 1986 helped found The Bridge School, and its annual supporting Bridge School Benefit concerts, together with his wife Pegi.

Young remains a Canadian citizen and has never wanted to relinquish his Canadian citizenship, even though he has lived in the U.S. for "so long" and has stated, about U.S. elections, that he has "got just as much right to vote in them as anybody else

For further information please see: http://www.neilyoung.com/   
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

radiofc.com | last.fm | soundcloud | @radiofc

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 5, 2008, 06:03:07 pm »
nice one, Shane, will tip along to that! Saw him at Slane when I was about 10 years old.... not that I can remember though!
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #47 on: March 6, 2008, 01:09:08 am »
wow, wow, fucking wow. awesome

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #48 on: March 6, 2008, 10:48:38 am »
nice one, Shane, will tip along to that! Saw him at Slane when I was about 10 years old.... not that I can remember though!
you jammy fecker - so regret not going to see him and Pearl Jam that time - I was 17 and couldn't afford to see too many gigs so had only U2 in the RDS that summer - it was a great gig though - that was long before Bono & Co had turned really sh*te!

Myself and a mate caught the Greendale gig in Radio City Music Hall in 2004 - I really enjoyed it and I cannot understand how people were giving out so much about the Vicar St gigs - I wasn't there but I am guessing they were "Greatest Hits" fans...
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #49 on: March 6, 2008, 11:41:25 am »
Last night was fantastic, he is a nutter

Offline barnseysbarmyarmy

• Kopite
  • You know nothing John Snow (except current affairs
« Reply #50 on: March 6, 2008, 12:13:43 pm »
You lucky bastard...What was the set list like?

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #51 on: March 6, 2008, 02:08:22 pm »
Hour acoustic, hour and a bit electric, played old man which i was led to beleive he wouldnt which was great, finished with rocking versions of cinnamon girl and hurricane, few i didnt know which i assume are from the new album chrome dreams

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: March 6, 2008, 02:11:54 pm »
Hour acoustic, hour and a bit electric, played old man which i was led to beleive he wouldnt which was great, finished with rocking versions of cinnamon girl and hurricane, few i didnt know which i assume are from the new album chrome dreams

Sounds great Walshy, I got onto it too late and didn't want to pay the price.

I saw him quite a few times in my youth at Massey Hall in Toronto, he's one of my absolute favourites.

Chrome Dreams is worth a listen, like it a lot.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #53 on: March 6, 2008, 04:33:28 pm »
Sounds great Walshy, I got onto it too late and didn't want to pay the price.

I saw him quite a few times in my youth at Massey Hall in Toronto, he's one of my absolute favourites.

Chrome Dreams is worth a listen, like it a lot.

Sounds like some gig alright.  The Live In Massey Hall 1971 album released last year is well worth getting a hold of - he was playing a lot Harvest stuff live for the first time and it is excellent.. particularly the "A Man Needs A Maid/Heart Of Gold Suite"

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 6, 2008, 04:55:05 pm »
Sounds like some gig alright.  The Live In Massey Hall 1971 album released last year is well worth getting a hold of - he was playing a lot Harvest stuff live for the first time and it is excellent.. particularly the "A Man Needs A Maid/Heart Of Gold Suite"

I know, his voice has changed a lot over the years, I occasionally go back and listen to his early stuff, quite quavery.

When I was a kid I played some of those records so much they wore out!

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #55 on: March 6, 2008, 06:01:37 pm »
a man needs a maid was awesome

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 6, 2008, 06:09:29 pm »
a man needs a maid was awesome

it is, and so true

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #57 on: March 7, 2008, 12:03:42 pm »
You lucky bastard...What was the set list like?

Haven't seen the Hammersmith show up anywhere yet, but here's the setlist from Edinburgh on  3rd March - i assume 5th March would be similar as the setlist doesn't seem to vary much on the tour so far

Disc One
Acoustic Set
1- From Hank To Hendrix
2- Ambulance Blues
3- Sad Movies
4- A Man Needs A Maid
5- Try
6- Harvest
7- After The Goldrush
8- Mellow My Mind
9- Love Art Blues
10- Don't Let It Bring You Down
11- Heart of Gold
12- Old Man
Electric Set
13- Mr Soul
14- Dirty Old Man
15- Spirit Road

Time 78:47

Disc Two

1- Down By The River
2- Hey Hey, My My
3- Too Far Gone
4- Oh Lonesome Me
5- Band Intros
6- The Believer
7- Powderfinger
8- No Hidden Path
-----------------
9- Fuckin' Up
10- Cinnamon Girl

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #58 on: March 7, 2008, 12:07:23 pm »
Am I right in saying that he plays the Manchester Apollo next week ?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #59 on: March 7, 2008, 12:53:35 pm »
feckin mighty set but can people please post links to sets in future as I like to be surprised when I go to gigs - sad I know but that's just me...

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #60 on: March 7, 2008, 10:34:50 pm »

The Hammersmith show from 5th March is now up on Dimeadozen here http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=187021

Offline TOGH

• Give me a G, give me an R ....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Glittering Prizes And Endless Compromises
« Reply #61 on: March 8, 2008, 01:37:54 am »
Neil Young will play Ireland with two exclusive gigs in Dublin and Cork this summer.

Sun, Jun 29th 2008 8:00 pm - Malahide Castle      
Mon, Jun 30th 2008 8:00 pm - Live at the Marquee

Tickets will go on sale This Monday 10th March at 9am

Source: http://www.aikenpromotions.com/component/option,com_gigcal/task,details/gigcal_bands_id,253/Itemid,68/open_gig,253/

Tickets will be €81.25 Standing and will go on sale Monday 10th March at 9am from all Ticketmaster outlets nationwide, online at www.ticketmaster.ie and booking line no. 0818 719 300

Young's work is characterized by deeply personal lyrics, distinctive guitar work, and signature nasal tenor (and frequently alto) singing voice. Although he accompanies himself on several different instruments-including piano and harmonica-his style of hammer-on acoustic guitar and often idiosyncratic soloing on electric guitar are the linchpins of a sometimes ragged, sometimes polished sound.

Although Young has experimented widely with differing music styles, including swing, jazz, rockabilly, blues, and electronic music throughout a varied career, his best known work usually falls into either of two distinct styles: folk-esque acoustic rock (as heard in songs such as "Heart of Gold", "Harvest Moon" and "Old Man") and electric-charged hard rock (in songs like "Cinnamon Girl", "Rockin' in the Free World" and "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)"). In more recent years, Young has started to adopt elements from newer styles of music, such as industrial, alternative country and grunge, the latter of which was profoundly influenced by his own style of playing, often bringing him the title of "the godfather of grunge".

Young has directed (or co-directed) a number of films using the pseudonym Bernard Shakey, including Journey Through the Past (1973), Rust Never Sleeps (1979), Human Highway (1982), and Greendale (2003).

He is also an outspoken advocate for environmental issues and small farmers, having co-founded the benefit concert Farm Aid, and in 1986 helped found The Bridge School, and its annual supporting Bridge School Benefit concerts, together with his wife Pegi.

Young remains a Canadian citizen and has never wanted to relinquish his Canadian citizenship, even though he has lived in the U.S. for "so long" and has stated, about U.S. elections, that he has "got just as much right to vote in them as anybody else

For further information please see: http://www.neilyoung.com/   

Can't believe it took me 2 days to find out about this, looks like I'll have to be late for work on Monday!  ;D
Meh

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #62 on: March 8, 2008, 11:42:22 am »
The Hammersmith show from 5th March is now up on Dimeadozen here http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=187021

they wont let me register, aaarrrgggh, how the fuck can i get it!!!!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #63 on: March 9, 2008, 11:09:44 am »
Saw Neil Young last night - the guy is still as relevant as ever.

He played a 12 or 13 song acoustic set including Ambulance Blues, From Hank to Hendrix, A Man Needs A Maid and Harvest. He was spell binding to watch and the crowd went crazy in between songs. We had a perfect view too as in Row D!

Then he did an electric set with loads of classics and the first 5 songs was as intense as I have ever seen any performer (and he is 62!!!). Mr Soul, Down By The River and Hey Hey. My My stood out for me but all brilliant.

I am still buzzing from it and it is one of the best gigs I have ever seen.

Enjoy if you are going to any of the other shows and saviour it.

And if you have a spare you know where to palm it off  :yes:  
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008, 12:28:36 pm »
got a pair of tickets for Dublin this morning - anyone else have any joy?

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2008, 05:14:39 pm »
No.  :no  :butt

For some reason the fucking Ticketmaster website would only allow you to buy online with a credit card. The only option for a debit card was Laser (which doesn't exist in the UK).  :no  ???

I then went through the poxy automated telephone process (never getting to speak to a human being, of course) three times only to have my card rejected each time. No reason was given it just says "your card has been rejected" and hangs up.  :no  :wanker

I checked my bank balance and have plenty of dosh. I have also had to put up with messages all day from friends back home who got tickets.  :no  :'(

All in all, I am well and truly fucked off with the whole thing.  :no  :no
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2008, 05:18:50 pm »
get a family friend to order them on your behalf as I did a quick check there now online and there looks to be some available for Dublin anyway

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2008, 05:29:30 pm »
Well I did around four hours ago when I was getting messages from them about how they had tickets.

I haven't heard back from anyone since. Which kind of makes me think they are gobshites that have forgotten or something. They are not even massive Neil fans and only found out about it because I sent them an excitable email last week to see if any of them was up for it?

Irish people eh?

Offline TOGH

• Give me a G, give me an R ....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Glittering Prizes And Endless Compromises
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2008, 08:47:26 pm »
got a pair of tickets for Dublin this morning - anyone else have any joy?

Yep, also got a pair for Dublin ;D
Meh

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2008, 09:05:28 pm »
I need to see him again!
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:23 am »
I have wronged my friends.

Well actually I didn't. It was one of their husbands who, when they were all faffing about said "I'll just buy Dave a fucking ticket, while you lot are discussing whether or not to do so, or who buys it, or whatever".

Fair play, that man. Off to see Neil again. Magnificent.  :)

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2008, 12:17:59 pm »
good stuff - should be a cracker

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2008, 03:55:24 pm »
I have bought nearly his whole back catalogue in the last 3 months, he is fanfuckintastic

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2008, 04:47:12 pm »
do you have "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere"?

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2008, 05:47:11 pm »
yep, zuma, harvest, harvest moon, after the goldrush, unplugged, ragged glory, decade, best of, tonights the night,neil young,mirrorball,

Offline IrishDave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2008, 02:44:56 pm »
yep, zuma, harvest, harvest moon, after the goldrush, unplugged, ragged glory, decade, best of, tonights the night,neil young,mirrorball,

No On the Beach?? I take it that's a typo.

Of his later stuff I'd check out Greendale if I were you. I think it is amazing.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2008, 10:13:30 am »
New UK date announced guys.  Headlining the Hop Farm festival in Kent on 6th July.  Eight bands to support apparently.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2008, 10:39:57 am »
New UK date announced guys.  Headlining the Hop Farm festival in Kent on 6th July.  Eight bands to support apparently.

I know - who will play with him I wonder!

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2008, 09:22:50 pm »
No On the Beach?? I take it that's a typo.

Of his later stuff I'd check out Greendale if I were you. I think it is amazing.
got it yesterday, love ambulance blues, gonna try and get meself tickets for this farm thing in kent as well

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2008, 03:27:01 am »
do you have "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere"?
100 percent-his best album ever