Author Topic: Neil Young Appreciation  (Read 30054 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Neil Young Appreciation
« Reply #240 on: August 8, 2013, 08:47:54 pm »
Bugger!

Piss up in town it is then.

Where are we all meeting? ;)
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: August 9, 2013, 10:15:46 am »
That's actually made me feel slightly better as I wouldn't have been able to go. However that's all been countered by me mate telling me he had a surprise after the show..was only going to meet the man himself. Fucking wounded.
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: August 9, 2013, 11:14:50 am »
Bugger!

Piss up in town it is then.

Where are we all meeting? ;)

If you're buying I'm in.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2013, 01:35:49 am »
Pleasingly, it looks like it's only six dates in N/W Europe that have been cancelled - that sounds like it should be relatively easy to reschedule so I'm hoping (based on nothing whatsoever!) that this might happen within a year.  It'd be a shame if they're never correct and we all have to wait until the next time around...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #244 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:17 am »
Been on a Neil Young binge the last few days as the soundtrack to completing a project for work.

I've come to love this album in all it's ragged, out-of-tune, tequila fueled insanity, the beginning of his post-Harvest, "Ditch Trilogy" (Time Fades Away, On The Beach, Tonight's The Night): a live album of entirely unreleased material that Young detests so much he refuses to release it on CD. "Don't Be Denied", "The Bridge" and "L.A." are superb. If a song like "The Bridge" had been given the Harvest treatment, it would be spoken in the same vein as "Heart of Gold" or "Helpless" instead it's sort of lost to the passages of time.

The songs are about the past, longing for home (Canada) and rejection of "the hippie dream," but the tour was an epic disaster (a good summary can be found here

The audience wanting to hear acoustic songs like "Heart of Gold" and "Old Man" hated the tour, as Young opted to dedicate a third of every setlist to new material. Prior to the tour, Crazy Horse guitarist Danny Whitten overdosed the same night that Young kicked him off the tour for drug problems. Young fell out with most of the members of his backing band The Stray Gators, mainly because they wanted more money than they had agreed upon. He fired one drummer who was a famed Nashville session musician for not playing loud enough, despite the fact his hands were bleeding from drumming so hard. The band and Young slept on separate floors in hotel rooms. Young spent all his free time holed up in his room drinking tequila and then signed up David Crosby and Graham Nash for the last three weeks of the tour. David Crosby's mother was dying of cancer, which hardly lightened the mood. Critics hated the album and viewed it as commercial suicide.

There's also a great quote in Jimmy McDonough's great biography Shakey from Joel Bernstein (Neil Young's one time photographer and now personal archivist) that pretty much summarizes the entire mood of the album

"Neil hated the audience's inability to follow him out into the next phase [....] How does a guy go from being the mellow hippie smiling in the barn to the drunk, intentionally  out-of-it guy screaming at the audience? The hippie's gone. The hippie took a plane home."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:34:17 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #245 on: September 18, 2013, 02:12:56 am »
Been on a Neil Young binge the last few days as the soundtrack to completing a project for work.

That sounds intriguing, I might get onto Discogs and see if I can grab a vinyl copy.
We are Liverpool!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #246 on: September 18, 2013, 02:36:33 am »
That sounds intriguing, I might get onto Discogs and see if I can grab a vinyl copy.

It really is. "L.A." for instance sounds like it could have neatly had a home somewhere On The Beach

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3uR9OvK5zxg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3uR9OvK5zxg</a>

Whereas "The Bridge" could have sat nicely on either Harvest or After the Gold Rush

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sGLvhib0-5A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sGLvhib0-5A</a>
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:43:57 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #247 on: September 18, 2013, 09:11:36 pm »
Any talk of him honouring the cancelled European gigs?...sod them!..Liverpool gig?....Probably not the miserable arl bugger!

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2013, 01:34:15 pm »
snip

Also a fan of this, the vinyl doesn't come out too often but it is a truly beautiful artefact.

Some great songs, occasionally the raggedness of the performance grates on me but truthfully it's as honest an album as Tonight's The night, perhaps even more so.

Young played a Flying V on this tour after being inspired to use it by Hendrix, and due to the fact his Les Paul had to have it's pickups replaced. He absolutely hated it and couldn't get it to sound how he wanted.

I hope they do do something with it, either a remaster or the TFA2 that has been touted.

At least he released On the Beach eventually, so hope is there for this.

I remember when finding this, On The Beach and Journey Through The Past OST were like the defining aims of my life.

Eventually picked up a bootleg of On The Beach from a record shop in the basement of an arcade on the corner of Slater and Wood Street, can't even remember what it was called but I used to go in there all the time. Can;t even think what that building is now, this must have been 2002 or something.

It had American Stars and Bars on the same CD, half of that is shite but it does at least have Like A Hurricane on it.

Ebay has made record hunting shit. And downloads.

I used to love having to really scour for stuff.

the Wolf King of LA by John Phillips was another one. took me years to find, got a bootleg CD that was obviously recorded from the vinyl.

Few years later, found a copy on vinyl on eBay, reissued. I love it but it was too easy, the hunt of the CD was so much more satisfying than the mouse click.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:23 pm »
Also a fan of this, the vinyl doesn't come out too often but it is a truly beautiful artefact.

Some great songs, occasionally the raggedness of the performance grates on me but truthfully it's as honest an album as Tonight's The night, perhaps even more so.

Young played a Flying V on this tour after being inspired to use it by Hendrix, and due to the fact his Les Paul had to have it's pickups replaced. He absolutely hated it and couldn't get it to sound how he wanted.

I hope they do do something with it, either a remaster or the TFA2 that has been touted.

At least he released On the Beach eventually, so hope is there for this.

The thing I like about this album it is clearly the tequila soaked bridge (no pun intended re: the song "The Bridge" on the album) between Harvest and Tonight's the Night, which was recorded before On The Beach, but released afterwards after Neil Young decided to scrap the Carrie Snodgress influenced break-up album Homegrown in favour of Tonight's The Night. It clearly provides an idea of how he was able to transition from the overall warmth of Harvest (which to be fair has its darker edges - Needle and the Damage Done, Alabama etc) into the ragged squalid mourning of Tonight's the Night. It's a shame it hasn't been re-released because it's part of a masterful line of releases from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere through to Tonight's The Night/Zuma, which perhaps only Bowie bettered as a solo artist. I've always seen American Stars n' Bars as his Physical Graffiti, but obviously not as good: a patchwork of tracks from various sessions recorded over a number of years.

This also reminds me of a funny Neil Young story. After he decided to scrap the still unreleased Homegrown and release Tonight's The Night, he got very much into it, to the point he went on tour and would just play Tonight's The Night from start to finish. The unhappy punters wanting to hear the hits would then boo him, so he'd tell them, he'd like to play them something they were familiar with, only to kick back into "Tonight's The Night"  ;D

Also, I had an interesting (potentially controversial) thought today that I think a song like Radiohead's "No Surprises" shows a lot of Neil Young's influence. I could actually imagine him singing/writing something like that in his early 70's pomp.

Offline happydaze

• ...arefuckinhereagain!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:56 am »
Any talk of him honouring the cancelled European gigs?...sod them!..Liverpool gig?....Probably not the miserable arl bugger!

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/09/neil-young-crazy-horse-hyde-park

Well he's coming across to Europe as the link above details....

Have also read of a show in Ulm in Germany so I guess the tour will build , and who knows , maybe Liverpool will be added at some point?

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2013, 08:55:16 am »
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18757-neil-young-live-at-the-cellar-door/

Thought this was a good review from the usually too-cool-for-school Pitchfork.

The Bottom Line 1974 set briefly mentioned is brilliant, recommended for fans of the Doom Trilogy. Unreleased songs and great ramblings between songs. I'm usre he'll release it officially at some point.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2014, 06:32:56 pm »
All booked up to see him London Hyde Park on 12th July...........and just found out he's playing Liverpool on.........13th July..........which is also night of World Cup final....doh!!

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2014, 06:37:20 pm »
All booked up to see him London Hyde Park on 12th July...........and just found out he's playing Liverpool on.........13th July..........which is also night of World Cup final....doh!!
Bollocks. Got tickets to see him, didn't realise it was WCF.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2014, 06:41:51 pm »
Bollocks. Got tickets to see him, didn't realise it was WCF.

to be honest you might catch some of the game if he does the 25 minute feedback we had when I saw him in Birmingham last summer

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:04 am »
http://www.neilyoung.com/

Who's Gonna Stand Up? (Orchestral version) sounds really good. right click save as on the play button if yer wanna download
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2015, 05:03:54 pm »
He really is the fucking man.

American Stars N Bars is such a good album.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #257 on: May 26, 2015, 02:39:23 pm »
The music from Philadelphia was I think the best music for a film that I have ever heard . It is one of my favourite films ever. The song that he sung at the end of the film still brings tears to my eyes, The records he has made over the years need recognition, I cant believe he didn't get it for this film
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 26, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »
The music from Philadelphia was I think the best music for a film that I have ever heard . It is one of my favourite films ever. The song that he sung at the end of the film still brings tears to my eyes, The records he has made over the years need recognition, I cant believe he didn't get it for this film

My favourite Neil song post 70s...a truly beautiful piano ballad that. Only he could have written and sung that. Didn't he lose out the Grammy to Springsteen's tune from the same film?

Either way, it would make it onto my top 40 Neil tunes...a hotly contested list that would be!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2015, 01:26:47 am »
The original Rolling Stone review of After the Gold Rush is always good for a laugh

"Neil Young devotees will probably spend the next few weeks trying desperately to convince themselves that After The Gold Rush is good music. But they'll be kidding themselves. For despite the fact that the album contains some potentially first rate material, none of the songs here rise above the uniformly dull surface."

[...]

"There are thousands of persons in this country who will buy and enjoy this record. More power to them, I suppose. But for me the test of an album is whether or not its quality is such that it allows you to grow into it a little more with each subsequent listening. And I find none of that quality here. "
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/after-the-gold-rush-19701015

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2015, 09:48:15 am »
Only just started listening to Storytone. Must admit my dislike for the Orchestral versions is mirrored in my love for the solo ones. They're incredible, just him and a guitar. I think 'When I watch you sleeping' is up there with some of his most beautiful stuff even from the early years.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOPJJnhfcsE?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iOPJJnhfcsE?fs=1</a>

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2015, 12:59:02 am »
Either way, it would make it onto my top 40 Neil tunes...a hotly contested list that would be!

Top 40 Neil tunes eh?

Wow, that's a tricky one alright.

On The Beach
Winterlong
Oh, Lonesome Me
Change Your Mind
Cortez
Down By The River
Helpless
Sail Away
See The Sky About To Rain
Southern Man
Out On The Weekend
A Dream That Can Last
Powderfinger
Through My Sails
Don't Let It Bring You Down
I'm The Ocean
Old Man
Tonight's The Night
Don't Cry No Tears
Love Is A Rose
Pocahontas
Like A Hurricane
Words
I Believe In You
Cowgirl In The Sand
A Man Needs A Maid
Harvest Moon
Ohio
Only Love Can Break Your Heart
For The Turnstiles

OK, technically that's only 30. I'll let you fuckers sort out the other ten!
We are Liverpool!

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2015, 10:59:40 am »
I'll do mine at the weekend...should be a fun exercise...

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Re: Neil Young AppreciationThe
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2015, 02:29:49 pm »
Interstate

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2015, 12:46:00 pm »
Expecting To Fly (Buffalo Springfield Again)
Helpless (Deja Vu)
Tonight's The Night (Tonight's The Night)
Motion Pictures (On The Beach)
Down By The River (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere)
Out On The Weekend (Harvest)
On The Way Home (Last Time Around)
Journey Through The Past (Time Fades Away)
Too Far Gone (1977 version)
Cowgirl In The Sand (EKTIN)
Like A Hurricane (American Stars n Bars)
Ohio (45)
Long May You Run (Decade version)
Love In Mind (Time Fades Away)
Philadelphia (Philadelphia OST)
Pushed It Over The End/Citizen Kane Jr. Blues (1974 bootlegs, probably prefer the band version, CSNY 74)
On The Beach (On The Beach)
Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield Again)
Bad Fog of Loneliness (bootleg, think it's Crazy Horse 69 I prefer rathe rthan the acoustic versions)
Cortez The Killer (Zuma)
Needle & The Damage Done (Harvest)
Walk On (On The Beach)
Campaigner (Decade, although there's a longer bootleg version of the same take which is best)
Cinnamon Girl (EKTIN)
Don't Be Denied (Time Fades Away)
Roll Another Number (Tonight's The Night)
Flying On The Ground Is Wrong (Buffalo Springfield, some good bootlegs of the song though where he sings it rather than bloody Richie Furay)
Will To Love (American Stars N Bars)
Borrowed Tune (Tonight's The Night)
Through My Sails (Zuma)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (EKTIN)
Southern Man (After The Goldrush)
Birds (the Crazy Horse version, 1:38 of loveliness, much nicer than the Goldrush take)
Are You Ready For The Country? (Harvest)
Only Love Can Break Your Heart (After The Goldrush)
Til The Morning Comes (After The Goldrush) short and sweet
Hawaiian Sunrise (1974 bootlegs with CSNY, naff song but for some reason I adore it)
Heart of Gold (Harvest, overplayed but still great)
Broken Arrow (Buffalo Springfield Again)
Harvest (Harvest)

I think that's 40 but a special mention for
Greensleeves (1974 acoustic bootleg, absolutely spellbinding version of the 16th century mega hit)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #265 on: November 15, 2015, 03:29:01 pm »
Got the new live album on which is his Blues tour in 87-88
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: November 15, 2015, 11:34:20 pm »
Got the new live album on which is his Blues tour in 87-88

How is it? Worth a listen? I'll be curious enough to give it a go I reckon. An interesting track list.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #267 on: January 1, 2016, 09:39:12 pm »
How is it? Worth a listen? I'll be curious enough to give it a go I reckon. An interesting track list.

It's really cool.

Love the man and planning a trip to Amsterdam to see him.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2016, 01:57:02 pm »
The man is a genius.

I saw Weld on vinyl in London yesterday for 62 quid. I nearly caved but hoping it gets reissued one day.

Got Mirrorball on now. Great record.

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2016, 02:51:48 pm »
Love Mirrorball, think it's an astonishingly underrated album.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2016, 02:54:08 pm »
Love Mirrorball, think it's an astonishingly underrated album.

He has a lot like that though.

Sleeps with Angels is excellent too. Had that on earlier.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #271 on: June 19, 2016, 11:54:42 am »
Has anyone seen him on latest tour?

Like the energy of live stuff I have heard with Promise Of The Reel.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #272 on: June 20, 2016, 02:53:47 pm »
He has a lot like that though.

Sleeps with Angels is excellent too. Had that on earlier.

Sleeps With Angels is one of his best albums of the last 30 years, worthy of standing alongside his 70's output.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #273 on: December 1, 2017, 07:49:39 pm »
Neil Young Archives went live today.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: December 3, 2017, 01:12:31 pm »
Had a good root through the archives, initially was amazed but then as I began to dig deeper I thought to be honest there isn't anything on there that I don't already have. Lots of unreleased tracks missing, it's basically just stuff that has already been released - lots of songs I have aren't on there, especially from the mid 70s peak period - Homefires, Love/Art Blues, Kansas, Separate Ways, Everybody's Alone, etc.

Has he done an official release of live at the Bottom Line 1974 yet? One of the best bootlegs ever that.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #275 on: December 3, 2017, 03:05:43 pm »
Had a good root through the archives, initially was amazed but then as I began to dig deeper I thought to be honest there isn't anything on there that I don't already have. Lots of unreleased tracks missing, it's basically just stuff that has already been released - lots of songs I have aren't on there, especially from the mid 70s peak period - Homefires, Love/Art Blues, Kansas, Separate Ways, Everybody's Alone, etc.

Has he done an official release of live at the Bottom Line 1974 yet? One of the best bootlegs ever that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bottom-Line-1974-Neil-Young/dp/B06W5NVLFQ

Never official!!

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #277 on: July 9, 2019, 05:44:11 pm »
Back today from seeing him in Munich.

He is still relevant and the band (Promise of The Real) are so tight.

Blew me away.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #278 on: July 9, 2019, 07:19:23 pm »

Drank with Lukas Nelson and Neil at a strip club around two and half years ago. Even went into the alleyway to smoke a few joints.     8)

I agree about the Promise of the Real shout.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #279 on: July 9, 2019, 08:28:49 pm »
Drank with Lukas Nelson and Neil at a strip club around two and half years ago. Even went into the alleyway to smoke a few joints.     8)

I agree about the Promise of the Real shout.

Wow - that sounds mega.

Incredibly tight and setlist was magic.