Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 284931 times)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1280 on: May 23, 2018, 06:37:20 pm »
Really enjoyed Code Breakers: Bletchley Parks Lost Heroes. About two unsung heroes of the war. Mainly about decoding a machine that was even harder to crack than Enigma. Think it's a repeat but is on iPlayer at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:44:43 pm by Nitramdorf »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1281 on: May 29, 2018, 11:54:49 pm »
Wild Wild Country is surreal

Absolutely loved it. Really built up nicely (and helped I didn't know the ending)

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #1282 on: June 14, 2018, 12:06:54 pm »
Hello,

I have recently began a side-project making short documentaries on local interest stories. Below is an example, feel free to check it out and feedback, or get in touch with any booking enquiries!

https://vimeo.com/224384632
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1283 on: June 14, 2018, 10:32:17 pm »
Apologies if mentioned before

The Netflix/Showtime documentary about John McAfee

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1284 on: June 14, 2018, 11:22:25 pm »
The newly released Storyville on BBC 4 featuring hidden camera footage from Raqqa, the ISIS stronghold, is an absolute doozy. It is also absolutely, chillingly harrowing in parts so I really wouldn't watch it with kids.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b6tgfg/storyville-city-of-ghosts

I’ll definitely have a look at that. ‘Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently’ is/was an incredible website.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #1285 on: June 15, 2018, 12:53:56 pm »
Not a new one but Ken Burns' 'The War' is fantastic. Tells the stories of men and women from four towns/cities from across America and how war in both the Pacific and European theatres changed their lives.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1286 on: July 1, 2018, 10:17:31 am »
Just watched a show about Duff McKagan called 'Its So Easy and Other Lies' on sky arts. Really interesting. He mainly reads out extracts of his ups and downs on stage as his band play acoustically in the background. There's also lots of clips and interviews with colleagues.

He's certainly a lucky boy.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1287 on: July 2, 2018, 10:25:18 pm »
Just watched a show about Duff McKagan called 'Its So Easy and Other Lies' on sky arts. Really interesting. He mainly reads out extracts of his ups and downs on stage as his band play acoustically in the background. There's also lots of clips and interviews with colleagues.

He's certainly a lucky boy.

Really good documentary, I read the book and then the doc came on about a month later. All of the band really struggled, a case of too much too quick and in the era where the drugs were so easy to come by. Colombia had a real stranglehold on the US supply.

DUFF Man, indeed.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: July 4, 2018, 02:59:17 pm »
The Vietnam War by Ken Burns is absolutely amazing.

Superb, in the middle of watching it now. Would recommended to anyone interested in US conflicts.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1289 on: July 15, 2018, 04:32:19 am »
The Vietnam War by Ken Burns is absolutely amazing.

Its amazing, to see all three sides of conflict describe their experiences is such moving terms really made it for myself. The film footage and photography is something else. Best Documentary series I have seen on the conflict.   
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1290 on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:26 am »
Stumbled across this last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09b68wy/natural-world-20172018-7-h-is-for-hawk-a-new-chapter

About a lady training a juvenile Goshawk.  Found it really interesting about the steps they have to take to train a bird of prey.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1291 on: July 15, 2018, 09:24:44 am »
Its amazing, to see all three sides of conflict describe their experiences is such moving terms really made it for myself. The film footage and photography is something else. Best Documentary series I have seen on the conflict.   

I thought it was brilliant. Couple of things stood out for me, the fact that whilst well off Yanks dodged the draft the Vietnamese leader's sons both avoided the war by studying in Moscow and one of the leading supporters of reconciliation with Vietnam was the ex pow, John McCain.

It was these human aspects which made the series so effective.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1292 on: July 16, 2018, 01:36:50 am »
Came across this on Youtube - a Channel 4 (I think?) documentary from 1995 on the First Chechen War. It isn't the easiest watch, both in terms of the subject matter and in terms of its style (no narration, almost entirely subtitled, sparse captioning and the juxtaposition of what I assume is Russian pop music over some fairly unflinching footage of the fighting) but if you give it a chance it is a brilliant piece of filmmaking. It's bleak and at times distressing but punctuated by moments both of humour and of humanity. The last ten minutes leaves you really unsure how to feel. I can't find anything on the internet about how it was filmed but on the face of it the filmmakers somehow managed to get quite intimate access to both the Russian and the Chechen sides.

I'm not sure it is for everyone (20 minutes in I was not sure I wanted to carry on with it) but at only 80 minutes it is not a huge time investment and I'd highly recommend watching it through to the end before deciding what you think of it.

The Betrayed (1995) - Clive Gordon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bHQujjarpc&t=2723s
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:22:29 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1293 on: July 16, 2018, 05:05:38 am »
I thought it was brilliant. Couple of things stood out for me, the fact that whilst well off Yanks dodged the draft the Vietnamese leader's sons both avoided the war by studying in Moscow and one of the leading supporters of reconciliation with Vietnam was the ex pow, John McCain.

It was these human aspects which made the series so effective.

Also the fact that every President from Kennedy to Nixon knew the war could no be won! Listening to private tapped conversations of the three Presidents whilst in office talking about this was incredible. Stayed in Vietnam to save face and election votes  from 1965 to 1973 ...wow.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1294 on: July 16, 2018, 09:36:17 am »
Also the fact that every President from Kennedy to Nixon knew the war could no be won! Listening to private tapped conversations of the three Presidents whilst in office talking about this was incredible. Stayed in Vietnam to save face and election votes  from 1965 to 1973 ...wow.

And Presidential candidate Nixon sabotaging the Peace talks in Paris to help his election campaign!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1295 on: July 16, 2018, 08:50:01 pm »
The Vietnam War by Ken Burns, right up there with WW2 in HD as the greatest war documentary series I've seen.

Just can't recommend it enough, you'll rage, cry, feel bouts of melancholy and never trust a government again.

Just to think, within my parents lifetime in America, a young man could be drafted and forced to go to war in Vietnam where as now they go voluntarily to backpack and drink cheap beer. The world changed fast and it was down to the will of the people.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: July 21, 2018, 05:02:07 pm »
I'd originally watched the Ken Burns documentary on the Old West, equally as heartbreaking as the Vietnam one in places. The stories around Bison hunting and the impact this had on the Native population was staggering, nearly wiped them to extinction due to commercial hunting.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1297 on: July 22, 2018, 04:25:50 am »
Get on 'The War" by Ken Burns about the second world war ... brilliant. You can find it on Netflix.

Offline Alan574

• Main Stander
« Reply #1298 on: July 22, 2018, 04:01:31 pm »
Not sure if already mentioned elsewhere but Shankly documentary on tonight BBC2 2300.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1299 on: July 22, 2018, 07:38:59 pm »
Not sure if already mentioned elsewhere but Shankly documentary on tonight BBC2 2300.

nice one mate

cheers!!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1300 on: July 22, 2018, 10:11:46 pm »
Watch it now!

It's superb so far.

If not, catch up on IPlayer.

No excuses, just watch it, BBC2.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: July 25, 2018, 12:07:38 am »
Watched the Shanks Doc

Brilliant Stuff.

Don't think the great man actually well and truly fell out with any of the players but him and Keegan seemed to have a really nice bond.  KK was naturally very close to tears as he recalled the funeral wake at Bill's house.

One thing we can be certain of, he wouldn't have liked the way football as gone now.  Laughed my head off when an ex-player reckoned that no way would Shanks be able to get his head around all this corporate bollocks and eating a meal while watching the game :)

Nice to see Roy from SoS getting some decent sound bites. :)

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1302 on: July 26, 2018, 10:31:59 pm »
Strokes of genius: Federer v Nadal. On iPlayer for another week or so. Mainly about the 2008 Wimbledon final but also about the rivalry between Roger and Rafa. Really enjoyed it and a very good sports doc in my opinion
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1303 on: July 26, 2018, 10:37:40 pm »
Sky arts have those sixties/seventies/eighties/nineties docs running at the moment done by CNN, fantastic watch

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1304 on: July 31, 2018, 08:49:24 pm »
Sky arts have those sixties/seventies/eighties/nineties docs running at the moment done by CNN, fantastic watch

Have to agree seen the 60 and 70s one so far.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: August 7, 2018, 02:13:36 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent true crime documentary? Think I may have watched all the decent ones after watching
Making a murderer
The Jinx
The staircase
The long shot
The kalief browder story.
Evil Genius

Theres only so much Forensice files I can watch to get my fix haha.

Might start the 9 hour OJ one.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #1306 on: August 7, 2018, 02:47:12 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent true crime documentary? Think I may have watched all the decent ones after watching
Making a murderer
The Jinx
The staircase
The long shot
The kalief browder story.
Evil Genius

Theres only so much Forensice files I can watch to get my fix haha.

Might start the 9 hour OJ one.

American crime story --- https://serialpodcast.org/season-one  --- this is a serious commitment of time and emotion mate.  Be careful as there are entire sections of the internet examining and talking about this one.

Hae Min Lee & Adnan story (many characters and entire websites devoted to figuring it out).

Adnan's best friend's sister - Rabia Choudry http://undisclosed-podcast.com/episodes/season-2/
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1307 on: August 7, 2018, 05:36:13 pm »
For any rockers, Rush - Time Stand Still is on Sky arts. About their final tour a couple of years back. Sad to think of their being no giant rock bands in a few year's or so.

There's also a live concert on that channel at the moment.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1308 on: August 7, 2018, 09:07:54 pm »
For any rockers, Rush - Time Stand Still is on Sky arts. About their final tour a couple of years back. Sad to think of their being no giant rock bands in a few year's or so.

There's also a live concert on that channel at the moment.

For anyone interested in music it's a must watch. They are a unique band. And I got lucky in seeing them on their last tour.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1309 on: August 13, 2018, 08:23:21 am »
Netflix has a new documentary called "I am a Killer". Wasn't sure about it, they have a lot of prison documentaries, but wow, it is superb. Cannot stop watching it.

Highly recommended.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: August 13, 2018, 10:53:23 am »
For anyone interested in music it's a must watch. They are a unique band. And I got lucky in seeing them on their last tour.

Yes, unique is a good way of describing them. I managed to see the last 2 tours at the O2, am so glad I did. The Time Machine tour in particular is etched in my memory.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #1311 on: August 13, 2018, 01:03:59 pm »
Looking forward to mid September release of Fahrenheit 11/9 the new Michael Moore give a kicking to Trump documentary.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1312 on: August 14, 2018, 08:09:07 am »
Just finished watching episode 4 of the "I am a Killer" documentary. The way it started, the nature of the crime... wow...

Spoiler
I didn't think for a second that I would have any sympathy for anyone involved. I mean there was no chance.

Yet, by the end, I had tears in my eyes. I cannot help it, I cannot help it but also feel sorry for Martinez. I mean you can clearly see that he is still struggling to admit what the victim, Smiley, did to him. I don't think he could have killed the guy without Venegas doing it for him, but... I don't know. I am so sorry how it turned out. I think he is broken, so unfortunate...
[close]
I hope this hasn't spoiled it for those wanting to watch.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1313 on: August 31, 2018, 01:04:26 am »
I enjoyed this 10m short. It's about Marie Wilcox, the last fluent speaker of the Wukchumni language and the dictionary she spent 7 years making to try and keep her language alive.

https://goprojectfilms.com/films/maries-dictionary/
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #1314 on: September 19, 2018, 04:17:12 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BrlBSuuy50Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BrlBSuuy50Y</a>

I don't eat meat after watching that, too fucked up.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: September 23, 2018, 01:46:35 am »
My View: Clem Burke a wonderful film about the Blondie drummer. On Sky Arts at the moment. I was blown away, a fascinating  documentary. Sadly no Debbie Harry but so many rock stars paying tribute to him. Well worth a watch.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1316 on: October 14, 2018, 04:04:40 pm »
Looks good a limited release in the Cinema and being shown on the BBC on November 11th. And they are going to give a free copy to every secondary school in the UK.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EHYRfukHToc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EHYRfukHToc</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1317 on: October 14, 2018, 05:05:16 pm »
Saw one on Netflix the other day called 'Only the dead'. Was about an Ozzy journalist in Iraq from 2003 til near the end.

Don't know if it's old or new but thought it was pretty damn well made. Some very graphic scenes and stories.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1318 on: October 14, 2018, 09:18:22 pm »
Dark Tourist, from the same guy that did Tickled.

I highly recommend it. There are some really fucked up places in the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vV1xaLCONw

The host really makes this. He’s from New Zealand and has a similar sense of humor to Flight of the Conchords.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:24:52 pm by Brian Blessed »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #1319 on: October 16, 2018, 03:38:17 am »
Wild Wild Country on Netflix is very good
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.