Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 286496 times)

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1360 on: January 28, 2019, 04:00:40 pm »
Currently watching, Conversations With a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix. Its very good.

Just finished it. Chilling and fascinating.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1361 on: January 29, 2019, 07:15:47 pm »
Netflix documentary  - Abducted in Plain Sight. A tragic story about the lives of a family destroyed by a sexual predator.

It really is awful what Jan Broberg went through but at the end it leaves you fucking bewildered, so no spoilers.

« Last Edit: February 2, 2019, 06:51:08 pm by John C »

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1362 on: January 30, 2019, 12:08:11 am »
Watching both of those at the moment, both fascinating and disturbing at the same time

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1363 on: January 30, 2019, 04:13:09 am »
Netflix documentary  - Abducted in Plain Sight. A tragic story about the lives of a family destroyed by a sexual predator.

It really is awful what Jan Broberg went through but at the end it leaves you fucking bewilder, so no spoilers.

Bewildered is spot on.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1364 on: January 30, 2019, 04:59:29 am »

It really is awful what Jan Broberg went through but at the end it leaves you fucking bewilder, so no spoilers.
Thanks, gonna watch this tonight...

Also watched 'The Innocent Man' over the last few days. really enjoyed it.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1365 on: February 6, 2019, 10:31:53 am »
Anyone catch Peter Jackson's documentary on the Great War the other night on BBC?   "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Fucking hell it was brilliant.

They used tons of much unseen archive footage from the Imperial War Museum and remastered it into colour and converted it into 3D using modern production techniques. They also narrated the doc using loads of archive recordings of servicemen who served in WWI.

Some of the images really are pretty harrowing. Some heartwarming.  Loads of footage of the allies and German POW together smiling and hugging towards the end of the conflict.  The lads on either side just didn't want to be there.

Amazing that many of the soldiers were treated with disdain when they came home too.  The public at that time just didn't understand exactly what had actually gone on.

Footage of the men going over the top was so sad. Some of them still had smiles on their faces as they went over.  Some were smoking pipes as they trudged towards the German Machine gun nests. 

From a Guardian Review (taken from WIki)

To mark the centenary of the First World War's end, Peter Jackson has created a visually staggering thought experiment; an immersive deep-dive into what it was like for ordinary British soldiers on the western front. This he has done using state-of-the-art digital technology to restore flickery old black-and-white archive footage of the servicemen’s life in training and in the trenches. He has colourised it, sharpened it, put it in 3D and, as well as using diaries and letters for narrative voiceover, he has used lip-readers to help dub in what the men are actually saying.
The effect is electrifying. The soldiers are returned to an eerie, hyperreal kind of life in front of our eyes, like ghosts or figures summoned up in a séance. The faces are unforgettable

Well worth a watch on catch up.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: February 6, 2019, 03:13:36 pm »
Currently watching, Conversations With a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix. Its very good.

Watched it this week.  I'd heard of him but knew next to nothing of what he did, what he was like and what happened.

fascinating and chilling.  My jaw hit the floor several times. I know it was the 70s and the idea of serial killers was a relatively knew thing, but not many people come out of that case looking very good, do they?

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #1367 on: February 6, 2019, 03:18:13 pm »
Abducted In Plain Sight is like and episode of Brass Eye crossed with Inside Number 9. Absolutely incredible story. Some of the actions and reactions of the girls parents are bewildering.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #1368 on: February 7, 2019, 09:53:05 pm »
Finally started watching Sunerland Till I Die - dear lord what a horrible set of fans. Bet it was horrible being a player for them that season.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1369 on: February 8, 2019, 10:17:56 am »
That Abducted in Plain Sight thing.  It’s a wind up, isn’t it?

It’s got to be, it makes no sense otherwise.  :o

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: February 8, 2019, 02:24:39 pm »
Can't stand Piers Moron, but that Confessions of a Serial Killer last night was good but disturbing. It was about Bernard Giles, who murdered 5 women between 14 and 22 yrs of age and admitted he just did it because he wanted to. He is not a psycopath and has no mental illness, he just got a sexual thrill from killing women he didn't know. Proper scary man.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1371 on: February 9, 2019, 02:55:16 pm »
Finally started watching Sunerland Till I Die - dear lord what a horrible set of fans. Bet it was horrible being a player for them that season.

I thought most of the fans were alright. Just rightfully pissed off about disinterested owners and their own players slagging off the team pre season.

They are making a second season with the new owners.

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #1372 on: February 11, 2019, 11:52:54 pm »
Anyone watch Storyville: Under The Wire tonight? Thought it was an incredible human perspective on Syria and a part of me is super proud that Paul Conroy is a scouser.
Ye wha la.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1373 on: February 12, 2019, 12:03:23 am »
Anyone watch Storyville: Under The Wire tonight? Thought it was an incredible human perspective on Syria and a part of me is super proud that Paul Conroy is a scouser.

The last 30 mins where jaw dropping...if seen in a film it would stretch increduality....the power of the human spirit and the people who helped them was inspirational and humbling.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: February 12, 2019, 08:34:42 am »

Looking forward to watching this before I watch A Private War.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: February 12, 2019, 09:51:44 am »
Can't stand Piers Moron, but that Confessions of a Serial Killer last night was good but disturbing. It was about Bernard Giles, who murdered 5 women between 14 and 22 yrs of age and admitted he just did it because he wanted to. He is not a psycopath and has no mental illness, he just got a sexual thrill from killing women he didn't know. Proper scary man.

Watched a rerun of this myself last night and yeah it was quite good.  A chilling insight into Giles and a stone cold killer. Seemed like a very nice man too.  Even his best mate at the time of the killings said he was the kindest, intelligent and most gentle man you could wish to meet.

What rubs me up the wrong way about Morgan though in regards to his interviews is, I don't think he understands that as a journalist he needs to remain impartial and not to be so judgemental.  Yeah these people have committed heinous crimes and are spending the rest of their lives in prison as punishment.  Morgan knows this before he even sets foot in the Prison. 

99.9% of the population will abhor the actions of any serial killer so we don't need to hear Morgan telling the criminal he is repulsed by his actions and will feel uneasy looking back on the situation etc.  Showing Giles a picture of his grown up daughter he hasn't seen for 40 odd years was a bit of a sly move from Morgan too. 

For example, watch Louis Theroux when he interviews the lowlifes of this world.  He puts them at ease, he makes them think he's their friend and talks to them like a fellow human being.  He gets them to open up without them even realising.  Showing an incarcerated man of 40 odd years a picture of his daughter he hasn't seen since she was a baby is doing nothing but to torment the bloke and piss off the very person he's supposed to be interviewing.

I just think Morgan is displaying too much moral outrage in his interviews.  Obviously I don't expect him to crack open a tinny and throw his arms around a serial killer but he seems to display this faux outrage that is common these days within TV Media and Social Media,

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1376 on: February 12, 2019, 12:21:29 pm »
Only just watched "The Spider's Web: Britain's Second Empire" recently.....absolutely loved it.

Anything more like this that anybody can recommend?
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: February 12, 2019, 01:56:44 pm »
Abducted In Plain Sight is like and episode of Brass Eye crossed with Inside Number 9. Absolutely incredible story. Some of the actions and reactions of the girls parents are bewildering.
I watched that on sunday night.

Never gasped so much watching something.

When it ended i was really angry, mainly at how naive and stupid her parents were. :butt
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #1378 on: February 13, 2019, 03:22:35 pm »
That Abducted in Plain Sight thing.  It’s a wind up, isn’t it?

It’s got to be, it makes no sense otherwise.  :o
"...and then we took our young daughters to the paedophile wing of the prison for a sleepover...and then we took them for a picnic on the highway after which we all drank bleach and played catch with an unexploded land mine..."

My jaw is still stuck to the floor.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1379 on: February 15, 2019, 08:33:52 am »
Over the last couple of weeks I've watched Innocent Man, Ted Bundy Tapes, Abducted in Plain Sight, Mindhunter and Evil Genius. Anyone recommend anything else along these lines?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1380 on: February 15, 2019, 08:56:05 am »
Over the last couple of weeks I've watched Innocent Man, Ted Bundy Tapes, Abducted in Plain Sight, Mindhunter and Evil Genius. Anyone recommend anything else along these lines?

Have you tried becoming a serial killer in real life?

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: February 15, 2019, 11:37:48 am »
Have you tried becoming a serial killer in real life?

I'd like a bit more reference material first...  ;D
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: February 15, 2019, 01:57:35 pm »

The Keepers is good
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1383 on: February 16, 2019, 12:05:27 pm »
4 episodes in on ‘The Defiant Ones’ and I’m loving it.

Can’t wait for next weeks 2 episodes.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1384 on: February 16, 2019, 09:23:17 pm »
4 episodes in on ‘The Defiant Ones’ and I’m loving it.

Can’t wait for next weeks 2 episodes.
I thought it was a 4 part docu...  ???
i may be wrong...  8)

Watched 'Free Solo' last night.. Slow burner but i did like it..
but mountain climbing with no ropes..Some of the camera work was amazing.   8)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7775622/
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1385 on: February 16, 2019, 09:24:13 pm »
I thought it was a 4 part docu...  ???
i may be wrong...  8)

Watched 'Free Solo' last night.. Slow burner but i did like it..
but mountain climbing with no ropes..Some of the camera work was amazing.   8)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7775622/

It’s an 8 part docu mate.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: February 16, 2019, 09:28:10 pm »
It’s an 8 part docu mate.
;D ;D .. i did say 'i may be wrong'... when i googled it .. say's 4 part docu  ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Defiant_Ones_(documentary)

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: February 16, 2019, 09:32:31 pm »
;D ;D .. i did say 'i may be wrong'... when i googled it .. say's 4 part docu  ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Defiant_Ones_(documentary)

Yeah you are right actually but BBC does have episodes 5 and 6 on next week??

It can’t have ended on episode four surely!

Offline Thehunter1978

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1388 on: February 16, 2019, 10:21:59 pm »
BBC have cut them down to 40 minute chunks which is why they have 6 episodes instead of the 4 on Netflix.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1389 on: February 16, 2019, 11:15:28 pm »
BBC have cut them down to 40 minute chunks which is why they have 6 episodes instead of the 4 on Netflix.
Thanks for that..  ;D
I think were both right & wrong...  :lmao

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: February 17, 2019, 07:39:40 am »

Now it makes sense! I thought episode 4 ended abruptly.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: February 18, 2019, 07:07:56 pm »
Now it makes sense! I thought episode 4 ended abruptly.
I ended up d-loading all 4 HBO HD versions.. watched all 4..  8)
Thanks for the post mate..  :wave

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1392 on: February 21, 2019, 02:31:25 pm »
Apologies if already mentioned

If you can (I get it via torrent) try and get hold of Documentary Now!

Here's the blurb
"Saturday Night Live" compatriots Fred Armisen, Bill Hader and Seth Meyers serve as creators, executive producers and writers of this IFC original series, using their love of documentary films and combining it with comedy to present a unique take on the form. Hosted by Dame Helen Mirren

It is fkin joyous. Armisen and Hader are genius in these spoofs of popular documentaries - My favourite was their take on the thin blue line (heres a clip) and its SPOT ON

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dkof0

Series 3 just started
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1393 on: February 28, 2019, 03:25:31 pm »
There's a really good documentary on C4 tonight at 9pm, called 'Three Identical Strangers'. It's an amazing story but one you are best knowing as little about as possible beforehand. Definitely worth a watch.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #1394 on: February 28, 2019, 03:35:40 pm »
Was blown away by this series last night called One Strange Rock (only watched first two episodes) - one of the truly worthwhile series on Netflix or on Nat Geo Channel I have ever seen.  Reminded me of the first time I watched Sagan's Cosmos.   Hope everyone gets an opportunity to experience this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XrC4vDcWmxk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XrC4vDcWmxk</a>

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1395 on: February 28, 2019, 09:19:49 pm »
Was blown away by this series last night called One Strange Rock (only watched first two episodes) - one of the truly worthwhile series on Netflix or on Nat Geo Channel I have ever seen.  Reminded me of the first time I watched Sagan's Cosmos.   Hope everyone gets an opportunity to experience this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XrC4vDcWmxk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XrC4vDcWmxk</a>

Would love to watch that. Can't find it on Netflix or sky. Is it all available on you tube?

With you on cosmos. Mind blowing stuff. I have the accompanying book somewhere as well
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1396 on: February 28, 2019, 10:09:45 pm »
There's a really good documentary on C4 tonight at 9pm, called 'Three Identical Strangers'. It's an amazing story but one you are best knowing as little about as possible beforehand. Definitely worth a watch.

I'm recording that now.  :thumbup
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #1397 on: February 28, 2019, 11:44:36 pm »
Would love to watch that. Can't find it on Netflix or sky. Is it all available on you tube?

With you on cosmos. Mind blowing stuff. I have the accompanying book somewhere as well

Must be American Netflix access here - and it is only been a few weeks that its available I believe. 

The first episodes are amazing and if you do a google search for the series on Youtube - the only full episode you get is season 1 episode 7.  So I am not sure how you start at season 1 episode 1, which is so worthwhile if possible.  I think you could buy it on Youtube for $17, if the ads are correct.

But I did come by this website from Nat Geo - that might give you a free preview starting from the beginning.  Let me know if not, and I keep searching mate. 

Cannot remember the last time I was so excited about a television show.  Check it out.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/one-strange-rock/

Here are clips from episodes 1 & 2 & 3

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dwHBpykTloY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dwHBpykTloY</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L9RTyPJqOYw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L9RTyPJqOYw</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BTLgqCIYn9M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BTLgqCIYn9M</a>

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: March 1, 2019, 11:12:31 am »

Use a VPN to watch Netflix USA.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1399 on: March 1, 2019, 12:43:07 pm »
Thanks to both of you. I will see what I can do to access the series. Hopefully Netflix UK will have it soon as well
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019