Author Topic: Top Gear  (Read 470762 times)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Top Gear (life after Clarkson, Hammond and May)
« Reply #5160 on: July 4, 2016, 09:00:15 pm »
They weren't on a hiding to nothing, it was actually a very entertaining series. With or without Evans. I enjoyed it, there were a few episodes which were better than "old" Top Gear. Given I only watched them on iPlayer after a couple of them, I did find myself skipping the Star in a Car bits. They were arguably some of the worst parts of the old show anyway.

Hope the next series is similar to this one actually, in terms of the rest of the presenters staying together - they definitely made it better than the old one for me. You had everything there. Reviews from every angle; the racers, the F1 team principal, the new kid, the car enthusiast and fucking Joey! The pure car enthusiast is gone, but the rest made it anyway.

Good luck to them, think they did more than better than replacing the old crew of presenters.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5161 on: July 4, 2016, 09:02:17 pm »
Evans was always on a hiding to nothing, with him in and out, the next presenter has a much better chance of succeeding.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #5162 on: July 5, 2016, 05:57:31 pm »
Matt is going to be the main man,  good choice!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5163 on: July 5, 2016, 08:13:10 pm »
They weren't on a hiding to nothing, it was actually a very entertaining series.

I think you are misunderstanding the phrase, being on a hiding to nothing would tend to imply that it didn't matter how well they did, this first season after the previous trio was always going to result in criticism and lowe r ratings.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5164 on: July 5, 2016, 08:17:09 pm »
Can't say I'm surprised, personally I gave up after 2 episodes, partly because of him.
I haven't watched any of them. I might now that Evans has gone. I know it's churlish, but I dislike him more than I dislike Noel Edmonds.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5165 on: July 6, 2016, 06:46:21 am »
I haven't watched any of them. I might now that Evans has gone. I know it's churlish, but I dislike him more than I dislike Noel Edmonds.
Who has also presented the programme.....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5166 on: March 6, 2017, 11:36:02 am »
thought it was excellent last night,,good blend of presenters.Le Blanc is natural.
bollocks

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5167 on: March 6, 2017, 11:46:43 am »
thought it was excellent last night,,good blend of presenters.Le Blanc is natural.

Haven't seen it yet but some online reviews were saying it was a bit wooden with the studio interaction?

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5168 on: March 6, 2017, 11:53:16 am »
Haven't seen it yet but some online reviews were saying it was a bit wooden with the studio interaction?
didnt think that there was that much interaction to be wooden about to be honest.
bollocks

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5169 on: March 6, 2017, 09:56:33 pm »
Enjoyed the chemistry as well as the content.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5170 on: March 7, 2017, 10:56:52 am »
Really good start imo. Le Blanc is quality.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5171 on: March 7, 2017, 04:19:37 pm »
Think the chemistry isnt there yet, and some of it comes off forced and cringey still, but its miles better than the last series. Le Blanc is enjoyable as always.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #5172 on: March 7, 2017, 04:51:03 pm »
It's getting better, the early (and late) Clarkson/Hammond/May stuff was pretty crap as well.

Offers a decent alternative to the Grand Tour.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5173 on: March 7, 2017, 05:16:16 pm »
Good stuff.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5174 on: March 7, 2017, 06:50:32 pm »
It's better than a grand tour. The promotion for the two from the extra gear show is good, those two were brilliant last season. I enjoyed it. The grand tour I watched for 3-4 episodes before giving up, was just same old and got too boring now. I hope this new top gear takes off as it's freshened it up - I actually really liked the first season of it, despite Evans.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5175 on: March 9, 2017, 04:15:01 pm »
Easily better than Grand Tour! Loved first episode.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #5176 on: March 9, 2017, 04:16:47 pm »
Load of shite, as is the grand tour bar the first episode when they actually looked at some cars.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #5177 on: March 9, 2017, 04:57:32 pm »
didnt do it for me....forced, dull and contained not a single ounce of humour....don't really like either of the two new presenters...pair of smug annoying bastards ....Le Blanc is, as ever, value for money...they should have relaunched the show with him and a different guest presenter(s) each week .....he can bounce off anyone and would have added a bit of spark to it.......as it is, I  think everything you can do to make a TV car show interesting/funny has probably been done...as witnessed by the last few series of Top Gear and the plodding Grand Tour...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #5178 on: March 9, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »
didnt do it for me....forced, dull and contained not a single ounce of humour....

Have to agree with that. There's no chemistry. I like LeBlanc but that was the big thing with the old three, they could banter in any combination of 2v1 whichever two it was of the jokey smartarse, the serious dullard or the childish simpleton that ganged up on the other. Then again, Friends ended 20 years ago and we should let it go  ;)
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #5179 on: March 10, 2017, 08:07:39 am »
Have to agree with that. There's no chemistry. I like LeBlanc but that was the big thing with the old three, they could banter in any combination of 2v1 whichever two it was of the jokey smartarse, the serious dullard or the childish simpleton that ganged up on the other. Then again, Friends ended 20 years ago and we should let it go  ;)

But that chemistry developed. May was not in the first series of old new Top Gear and they took time to gel.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5180 on: March 10, 2017, 10:13:19 am »
Caught it by accident and thought it was ok - obviously they still need to find their feet but it was good fun and it seems it's possible to do a car show without lashings of xenophobia and low-level racism. Who knew?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5181 on: March 11, 2017, 05:20:05 pm »
Watching extra gear at the moment and its really good.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5182 on: March 11, 2017, 05:52:23 pm »
Didn't realise this was back until I saw it on Gogglebox last night. Watched it today, enjoyed it. Yes, they need to gel as a team but that will come as they get used to each other. Good to see they've gone back to the old track and good to see them use a proper car now for the guest.

Caught it by accident and thought it was ok - obviously they still need to find their feet but it was good fun and it seems it's possible to do a car show without lashings of xenophobia and low-level racism. Who knew?

You can just imagine the stuff Clarkson would have come out with if they'd gone to Khazakstan.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5183 on: March 12, 2017, 11:28:38 pm »
Shaping up to be the best series of Top Gear in years - these first 2 episodes (and last series to be fair), were better than Grand Tour, which I gave up on, and the last few series' of the old Top Gear, with the buffoons.

I like this set of presenters. Joey presenting Top Gear. Who knew that would work!?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5184 on: March 13, 2017, 09:09:10 am »
Agree with that. Enjoyable stuff - great production values and the team are beginning to settle down. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5185 on: March 13, 2017, 09:34:21 am »
Agreed, it's starting to come together. Matt is still a bit wooden from time to time, but I'm enjoying it. Nice to see a car show again with a) great cars, b) great scenery, and c) a few laughs not linked to things being stupidly scripted.
Also enjoying seeing Harris getting a lot of screen time - as a man who can actually drive.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5186 on: March 13, 2017, 09:37:31 am »
c) a few laughs not linked to things being stupidly scripted.

It's still incredibly scripted, but these first two episodes have been enjoyable regardless. Matt Le Blanc has the lead presenter is an exceptionally good choice, really enjoy him, and the other two are starting to settle down into the role too. I imagine once they get used to each other a bit more that it will become a lot more natural.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #5187 on: March 13, 2017, 09:48:36 am »
Much improved last night I thought..due to injecting a fair bit of fun into it...Matt seemed to be channelling his inner Joey at times, and it was all the better for it (Chandler Joey, and Ross all in character presenting a Top Gear special, now that's one I'd watch!) ...the VT's were good - I can see some chemistry developing between MLB and Chris Harris ...the feisty American v the anal Englishman schtick worked particularly well on the ski-slope challenge. The celeb guest spot dragged a bit, goes on too long and needs a bit of heat under it....enjoyable hour overall though.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5188 on: March 13, 2017, 10:51:51 am »
It's still incredibly scripted, but these first two episodes have been enjoyable regardless. Matt Le Blanc has the lead presenter is an exceptionally good choice, really enjoy him, and the other two are starting to settle down into the role too. I imagine once they get used to each other a bit more that it will become a lot more natural.

Probably with the other two it's a lot to do with the audience there and relaxing, Matt obviously very used to it. Liking it though, much better than GT

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5189 on: March 20, 2017, 11:27:34 pm »
Only seen 2 episodes, but quite frankly it's piss poor. Chemistry you ask and so do I.
The guest slot is excruciatingly painful and the lap with the angry instructor, awful

I like Matt, he's the saving grace, but it's just a like a carbon copy that's actually worse. I suppose when you change the format in the above statement, then you can see why they aren't trying to change too much. Every new idea they've had has been meh.

Hoping it gets better and I'm glad Evans has fucked off.

However, to assume makes an ass out of you and me, but people liking this more than the previous show are probably clarkson haters and have been going all out punching the clarkson voodoo dolls for years. For all of his faults, and yes there are a few-he's an extremely good presenter and watching some of his documentaries proves this. Chelsea supporting wanker though  ;D

;D

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5190 on: March 21, 2017, 12:59:07 am »
The problem I had with the old Top Gear and the Grand Tour isn't so much with the presenters but with some of the programming. Like making that shite car they put in AutoCar, a car made of bones and 1 made of wood. Then there are the skits where Clarkson drives around a bit trying to escape fucking tanks and SAS or whatever.

Too ridiculous and boring to be frank. If the original trio stuck to what the new Top Gear is doing then it would be awesome but as it is, neither show is amazing but I do like the new Top Gear over the Grand Tour because of the actual car reviews and escapades that involve actual cars and actual places of beauty.

Actually my favorite Top Gear ever didn't even include cars and just involved motorbikes, but was a joy to watch because of the beautiful scenery in Vietnam.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5191 on: March 21, 2017, 01:33:43 am »
That Vietnam special was arguably the greatest car show ever made. As you say, ironic really

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5192 on: March 21, 2017, 11:02:43 am »
Load of shite, as is the grand tour bar the first episode when they actually looked at some cars.
Like a good dose of Fybogel, his week's offering has softened my stance somewhat.

The Golf around the Nürburgring was loads of fun and it was nice to see a somewhat affordable car centre of attention.

My current gripes are.....the celebrity guest section is horse shit.....too many insanely expensive cars.

Not that it's my bag but I reckon the target audience of this show would actually like a bit of modding and/or affordable, fast motoring on display!

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5193 on: March 21, 2017, 12:00:10 pm »
that german lass in the golf was nuts,loved it
bollocks

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5194 on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:43 pm »
Celeb bit is as boring as it ever has been, and rather than making it shorter they seem to be extending it  :-\

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5195 on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:30 pm »
I'm enjoying it, its back to being about cars and they are having a laugh too, I'm sure we'd all love to get let loose with a muck spreader. The Golf feature was good and I always enjoy watching Sabine around the Nurburgring, she is so quick there.

Looking forward to next week, Matt reviewing a Ducati which will be good, will be refreshing to see a bike test without that shithouse Clarkson taking the piss out of bikes and the stupid homophobic comments about men wearing leathers.
Jurgen YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5196 on: March 27, 2017, 12:54:13 pm »
Another decent episode. Getting better

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5197 on: March 27, 2017, 01:05:53 pm »
Yeah - really enjoyed it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5198 on: March 27, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »
Enjoyable episode. Nice to see a bike on it too. Go joey.
bollocks

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5199 on: March 27, 2017, 02:18:58 pm »
The great bit about watching it on iPlayer is that you can skip all the shit bits ;D ;D ;D ;D