Author Topic: Massive Attack  (Read 9338 times)

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
Massive Attack
« on: April 12, 2006, 05:28:54 pm »
With the recent release of "Collected", now seems the perfect time to start a thread dedicated to Bristol's finest.

My favourite album of theirs would be "Protection". The title track of the album featuring the lass from Olive is a blinding opening to the album. The rest of it is just as majestic.

"Eurochild", "Sly" and "Heat Miser" are fantastic songs. "Sly" has some great strings towards the end.

Other favourite tunes of mine would be "Unifinished Symphony", "Hymn of The Big Wheel", "Angel", "Teardrop", "Dissolved Girl" and perhaps their finest tune "I Against I".

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Re: Massive Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 05:32:41 pm »

My favourite album of theirs would be "Protection". The title track of the album featuring the lass from Olive is a blinding opening to the album. The rest of it is just as majestic.
#

I'd always thought that was Tracey Thorne from Everything But The Girl?

They use female collaborators brilliantly- Teardrop is the obvious one, but I love Sinead O'Connor on 100th Window.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:34:05 pm »
You're absolutely right, I was trying to think who she was but wasn't too sure.

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 06:16:52 pm »
I have too many favourite tracks of Massive Attack ... "protection" was awesome .. .infact nobody has mentioned "Protection" in the greatest second albums thread :) that's an oversight :)  loved Unfinshed Sympathy, Safe from Harm, Weather Storm, Karmacoma, Risingson, Inertia Creeps ... too many ... 100th window was a little disapointing but only because the stuff before it was so good .... one ofthe best british acts of the last 20 years
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 06:20:47 pm »
brilliant band. them and port-a-shed were great.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 06:26:38 pm »
Brilliant band but never really could speak of Portishead and them in the same breath - I thought they had very different feels and Portish for me did not quite match up to de sounds of de Massive.

Protection is also an excellent track to use to audition a music system - female vocals, beautful bass lines and lots of other little things going on.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 07:37:33 pm »
#

I'd always thought that was Tracey Thorne from Everything But The Girl?

They use female collaborators brilliantly- Teardrop is the obvious one, but I love Sinead O'Connor on 100th Window.

They're one of my favourite groups - the first three albums are almost inseperable in terms of quality, but each so different. 100th Window grew on me after a while, but I wasn't sure, and then I saw them at the Manchester Apollo - they were stunning.

Halfway through the gig, which was set to an amazing backdrop of digital information and LED's that formed pictures and images inbetween disturbing facts about how the major nations spend their money and how many MacDonalds are consumed a minute, a shaven headed woman joined them on stage. I couldn't believe it at first but realised it must be Sinead O'Connor. Her voice was to die for. I could talk about that gig again and again, I saw the same show in Bristol city centre with The Streets, Goldfrapp and Martina Topley-Bird (Tricky's wife) on a lovely summer's day and that was pretty damn special too.

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 07:50:36 pm »

love them...i think teardrop is my favourite track.
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline Mystic Red

• Never too old to rock. May roll a bit more, but never too old to rock.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 08:11:34 pm »
Just so many excellent tracks. :D

Can't think of a track I don't like. :P

Offline hutchy17

• Main Stander
  • what's your history!!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 08:49:58 pm »
Massive attack : changed the way i thought about music & sheer music geniuses.
And how good are there music videos.
"DO YOU EXPECT ME TO TALK"
"NO I EXPECT YOU TO DIE MR BOND"

hoonin

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 08:57:37 pm »
Fantastic group, though over time they seem to have evolved to the point where I'm not enjoying their newer stuff so much.

Mezzanine is just a master piece of darkness and, for me, their best record. Perfect for putting your smoking jacket on for 8)

Offline owensy76

• A pain in the arse
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 01:31:20 am »
Fantastic group, though over time they seem to have evolved to the point where I'm not enjoying their newer stuff so much.

Mezzanine is just a master piece of darkness and, for me, their best record. Perfect for putting your smoking jacket on for 8)

hark at noel coward !!

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 10:32:40 am »
They are not actually a group though.

I think I read something in the Indy the other week about them and was surprised to learn that they were a musical collective rather than a bona fide band.

It also said that the two remaining members can't really be in the same room together anymore so they do all their stuff individually before someone mixes things together.

As for their albums , well 100th Window was a big let down for me, because like someone else had already said , what came before it was simply too brilliant, but I must profess to having a special place for Mezzanine simply because I saw them play live in Oslo in a smoke packed Oslo Spectrum and they were brilliant.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline hoobastanker

• Kopite
  • Ye dirty halien Ye
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 11:50:30 am »
Great band Massive Attack, quite like the track Angel in particular, used on the film Snatch

Is it also in the opening credits of the new Harrison Ford movie, Firewall?  Its defo one of their tracks, just not sure which.  I must have even been bored of that movie during the opening credits ;)
Xabi for Ireland

hoonin

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 01:32:13 pm »
They are not actually a group though.

I think I read something in the Indy the other week about them and was surprised to learn that they were a musical collective rather than a bona fide band.

Symantics.

Mushroom left the group band collective a while ago. Dunno about the state of the others right now.

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 01:51:40 pm »
They were definitely a group. A group that evolved out of the Wild Bunch, which was a kinda collective sound system thing in Bristol.

They just worked with guest performers who had higher personal profiles. Even Tricky falls into that category. Let alone Sinead O'Connor, Tracey Thorne and Liz Fraser.

The original Massive Attack was 3D (Robert Del Naja), Daddy G (Grant Marshall) and Mushroom (Andrew Vowles). Mushroom left after "Mezzanine", apparently he didn't like it! A guy called Neil Davidge replaced Mushroom. He'd already worked with the band on "Mezzanine".

Daddy G then kinda left, and kinda didn't. He certainly didn't contribute to the recording of "100th Window", but he did appear with the band live in concerts and at festivals after it was released. Apparently, however,  the Massive Attack that is supposed to be recording a new album consists of 3D, Neil Davidge, and a computer programmer called Swift!

Oh, incidentally, Massive Attack is one of the best live shows I've ever been to.

Offline Bullan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 02:21:55 pm »
They were definitely a group. A group that evolved out of the Wild Bunch, which was a kinda collective sound system thing in Bristol.

Perhaps the article writer wanted to put his own slant on it then because he seemed at pains to point out that they were more a collective than a group.

Not that it matters on bit , I just found it quite curious, because when I saw them live they looked very much like a band.

They just worked with guest performers who had higher personal profiles. Even Tricky falls into that category. Let alone Sinead O'Connor, Tracey Thorne and Liz Fraser.

The original Massive Attack was 3D (Robert Del Naja), Daddy G (Grant Marshall) and Mushroom (Andrew Vowles). Mushroom left after "Mezzanine", apparently he didn't like it! A guy called Neil Davidge replaced Mushroom. He'd already worked with the band on "Mezzanine".

Daddy G then kinda left, and kinda didn't. He certainly didn't contribute to the recording of "100th Window", but he did appear with the band live in concerts and at festivals after it was released. Apparently, however,  the Massive Attack that is supposed to be recording a new album consists of 3D, Neil Davidge, and a computer programmer called Swift!
Oh, incidentally, Massive Attack is one of the best live shows I've ever been to.

I think it was 3D the Indy were talking to about the Collected album and the whole history of Massive.

And I have to agree I think their live show ranks up there with the very best i've been too.

Incidentally , was it the woman from Coctau Twins who sang on the album version of Teardrop?

Because on their live show they had 2 girls with them, one who did Teardrop and one who did Unfinished Sympathy.

I hate every ape I see.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.

Offline Bullan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 02:27:11 pm »
Symantics.

Mushroom left the group band collective a while ago. Dunno about the state of the others right now.

Gareth, i wasn't trying to be a pedant , perhaps this all came out the wrong way, I don;t know alot about the british music scene past or present , I know which bands I like and I always assumed they were a group/band whatever you wanna call it.

Just surprised when I read something different thats all.
I hate every ape I see.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 04:57:59 pm »
will anybody be going along to see them this summer? i want to see them at westonbirt arboretum, but they've sold out...

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 05:19:48 pm »
I might be seeing them at the Coachella festival. Some friends are trying to persuade me to go. But I really hate the festival experience if I don't have A-A-A.

The weather is bound to be good though. So who knows?

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 05:22:25 pm »
going to see them at Electric Picnic in September. im a bit aprehensive of seeing them live though as im not sure how well their music will translate to an open air gig.

Have to say I think Blue Lines is their best album. in fact, id go as far as to say it is the best album ever. every track on it is a classic. as said before their use of female vocalists is absolutely spot on every time.

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 05:34:28 pm »
going to see them at Electric Picnic in September. im a bit aprehensive of seeing them live though as im not sure how well their music will translate to an open air gig.

Really, really well. They're marvellous indoors, providing it's a dance hall and not an all-seater, but somehow even better outdoors. This is based on experiences at Glastonbury, and their show a couple of years ago in Bristol.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »
Really, really well. They're marvellous indoors, providing it's a dance hall and not an all-seater, but somehow even better outdoors. This is based on experiences at Glastonbury, and their show a couple of years ago in Bristol.

sound, im just slightly hesitant because of other gigs ive been to where the big stage has taken away from other similar bands' music.
i half remember them playing support to Oasis (i think) a good few years back in Ireland somewhere but unfortunately for a number of reasons i cant remember what they were like but its definitely pencilled in the diary for this summer

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 05:44:47 pm »
Heard them indoors in Tokyo, club type thingy.  Very, very good.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 05:44:54 pm »
the missing-in-action BobK used to know/drink with some of the collective down in Bristol in a crusties' pub - remember the first time I got chatting to Bob wasn't about football but about the Massive Attack v Mad Professor dub mix release No Protection.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 05:59:44 pm »
"Live with me" from the new album - Collected - is also pretty good.

There is always at least one or two tracks worth having from all their albums.

Great "group".

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 06:23:06 pm »
I like Massive Attack, but havent been gripped by one particular album, more the odd track off each one....personally, i find theyre crammed with fillers, and then maybe 2 decent tracks.

For me anyway.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 06:48:50 pm »
the missing-in-action BobK used to know/drink with some of the collective down in Bristol in a crusties' pub - remember the first time I got chatting to Bob wasn't about football but about the Massive Attack v Mad Professor dub mix release No Protection.

'Crusties Pub' doesn't narrow it down much in parts of Brizzle- was living there myself when Blue Lines was taking off. Long way from there to 'Nocturne', mind.

Offline Mystic Red

• Never too old to rock. May roll a bit more, but never too old to rock.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 07:44:32 am »

Rushian. There's a new album out later this year by Dreadzone's DJ Ben. He played a track from it for me. It was a Mad Professor/Dreadzone mix. Seems like xmas will come early this year for Dreadheads. :P

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 08:52:20 am »
I used to love Massive Attack, but find that they are not surviving the test of time particularly well (in my ears, anyway). Their best work was done when they collaborated with Tricky, two of whose albums (Maxinquaye and Pre Millennium Tension) outshone anything from the collective (again, just my view). Sadly, both Massive Attack AND Tricky both started churning out shite after that. Tricky's Blowback album is one of thye most hated in my collection.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 09:05:35 am »
was it the coronation tap? my grandfather used to own that and that's where my old man grew up. someone told me nowadays it's a hang-out for bristol's gliteratti. including the fellas from massive attack.

Offline Dave_W

• Left abruptly during the cheese course
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 08:00:48 am »
more likely to be the Plough over in Easton, which was just round the corner from Bob's place in Bristol

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2006, 12:17:23 pm »
ho ho ho. got me some tickets for their gig at westonbirt arboretum on sunday. over the moon i am.

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2006, 12:24:37 pm »
One of my favourite bands. I'm with the consensus of Protection being one of the best tracks of all time

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2006, 01:09:09 pm »
was it the coronation tap? my grandfather used to own that and that's where my old man grew up. someone told me nowadays it's a hang-out for bristol's gliteratti. including the fellas from massive attack.

That's where they serve Exhibition cider in half pints cos it's so strong! It's become pretty well known as a result. I was at uni in Bristol and once saw 3D in Somerfield. Incredible I know, I assumed he'd have people to buy his Ginsters sausage rolls for him but evidently not.

Good thread though, have always sort of liked them but never fully got into them. Off on holiday soon though and reckon Collected will sound good when floating on my lilo in the pool!

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2006, 01:49:38 pm »

Well, almost. As one lucky enough to have been at some of the first hip-hop nights at the Arnolfini where the Wild Bunch were born, and to remember when they were doing the Nusrat remixes in the basement of the Milap club straight opposite my one time flat on Cheltenham Road,  I recommend a book called Straight Outta Bristol which captures this quite well by a fella whose name almost escapes me - Phil Johnson perhaps? who was a hack on the local mag run by Dougal Templeton, Venue, that's gone from strength to strength. Grantly (Grant Marshall, "Daddy G") is a top bloke, and in days when I put a lot of gigs on in the Trinity Centre when Bristol was quite limited for venues he regularly came and hid behind me at the side of the stage as I was the only person in the room bigger than him! Would always turn up for any decent gig if he was in town. Bought a house in the road behind my other old flat too, very nice, about as down to earth as musicians come.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:53:32 pm by Bob Kurac »

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2006, 01:52:23 pm »

more likely to be the Plough over in Easton, which was just round the corner from Bob's place in Bristol

That'll teach me not to read to the end of the thread before replying ;)

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2006, 02:04:08 pm »
That's where they serve Exhibition cider in half pints cos it's so strong! It's become pretty well known as a result. I was at uni in Bristol and once saw 3D in Somerfield. Incredible I know, I assumed he'd have people to buy his Ginsters sausage rolls for him but evidently not.

Good thread though, have always sort of liked them but never fully got into them. Off on holiday soon though and reckon Collected will sound good when floating on my lilo in the pool!
indeed, i'll be stopping there on the way up on sunday. been meaning to go to the cori tap for years seeing as it's steeped in bradstock-family history, but have never got round to it. disgracefull really seeing as i only live an hour away.

bob k, do you still live in bristol? sounds like you've had an interesting life!

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2006, 02:18:37 pm »

bob k, do you still live in bristol? sounds like you've had an interesting life!

No, I work in Liverpool now and commute in from Southport daily. But yes, I have!

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2006, 02:33:31 pm »
No, I work in Liverpool now and commute in from Southport daily. But yes, I have!
aaah! well i hope it's been nice reading this thread and being able to hark back to the good old days of rolling with the likes of daddy g and having your fingers in the bristol-music-scene flavoured pie