Author Topic: Massive Attack  (Read 9339 times)

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
Re: Massive Attack
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2006, 02:44:32 pm »
Admiral A... Hour away from Brizzle? Where you based?
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2006, 02:48:22 pm »
taunton. few junctions down the m5. you a west country-onion too?

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2006, 02:52:36 pm »
TROWVegas.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2006, 02:53:37 pm »
TROWVegas.

How did I know you were going to use that as the answer? :D

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2006, 02:55:27 pm »
TROWVegas.
can't say i've heard of trowvegas

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2006, 02:55:33 pm »
How did I know you were going to use that as the answer? :D

Cos you know what a prat I am?

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2006, 07:28:28 pm »
can't say i've heard of trowvegas

Trowbridge - The Venice of the West Country

Advertising Slogan: It's only a little worse than Frome

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2006, 07:37:00 pm »
And today's non-footy related and uninteresting fact is: there is also a Trowbridge in Cardiff, which is where Ms Sweetheart's favourite new signing was largely brought up.

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2006, 07:51:10 pm »
And today's non-footy related and uninteresting fact is: there is also a Trowbridge in Cardiff, which is where Ms Sweetheart's favourite new signing was largely brought up.

Brought up?

Brought up?

Drug up more like

I blame the parents.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2006, 09:12:58 pm »
Brought up?

Brought up?

Drug up more like

I blame the parents.

And according to his primary teacher, he was 'a little darling'.  :D

Loving him yet?

:)

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2006, 09:16:30 pm »
And according to his primary teacher, he was 'a little darling'.  :D

Loving him yet?

Almost as much as I love the idea of us signing the only top flight player ever to accessorize his playing kit with an electronic tag.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2006, 11:11:47 pm »
Heard them in concert last night at the Olympia in Paris - a belated birthday present from Mrs. Raul.

They were incandescent.  Made me look at Mezzanine in a completely different (better) way - I appreciated it's musicality much more.  Brilliant, contemporary version of Safe From Harm and a version of Angel that absolutely blew me away.  The increased role of the lead guitar only improves the music.  One of my top 10 concerts of all time.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2006, 12:07:58 am by Raul. »

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2006, 11:14:43 pm »
#

I'd always thought that was Tracey Thorne from Everything But The Girl?

They use female collaborators brilliantly- Teardrop is the obvious one, but I love Sinead O'Connor on 100th Window.

I prefer 'Black Milk'
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2006, 11:17:38 pm »
Trowbridge - The Venice of the West Country

Advertising Slogan: It's only a little worse than Frome

Had the pleasure of visiting? You sound like you know the place well?

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2006, 11:24:55 pm »
Lat night the two female vocalists were Elisabeth Fraser who used to sing with the Cocteau twins and Debra (deborah?) Wilson.

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2006, 02:43:25 pm »
Ooh. I do hope they bring Liz Fraser to America with them. I'm seeing them twice in the middle of September.

Re: Trowbridge -- I lived in Bath briefly, and in Sherborne for quite a while. I went to every dodgy nightclub in the West Country, including one in Trowbridge and the one at Longleat. It seemed to be a toss-up between Frome and Trow as to which had the most drunken military types starting fights. In Frome, it seemed to be mostly Marines. In Trowbridge, I think it was soldiers.

Hasn't Bob K had a pretty effing fascinating life?

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2006, 03:35:32 pm »
Ooh. I do hope they bring Liz Fraser to America with them. I'm seeing them twice in the middle of September.

Re: Trowbridge -- I lived in Bath briefly, and in Sherborne for quite a while. I went to every dodgy nightclub in the West Country, including one in Trowbridge and the one at Longleat. It seemed to be a toss-up between Frome and Trow as to which had the most drunken military types starting fights. In Frome, it seemed to be mostly Marines. In Trowbridge, I think it was soldiers.

Sherbourne's not so bad, there's a few decent pubs there. Though a few too many public school kids for my liking.

Have you ever made it as far as Taunton? There's the pick of dodgy meatmarkets here, you may even have a knife pulled on you if you go to the right places!

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2006, 03:42:40 pm »
I went to every dodgy nightclub in the West Country, including one in Trowbridge and the one at Longleat.

Depending on what year you visited Trowbridge it could've been one of the many local delights that have come/gone/been burned down.

The place at Longleat you have mentioned was definitely 'Oscars' though. Later ingeniously renamed 'Oscars 2000'. Now shut down. Dear oh dear, I remember that place.

Bath aint so bad though, eh? Well for pub drinking - although post last orders the clubs are a bit of a let down.

From some small snippets that I've read of his posts on RAWK, yes, I was thinking that too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 03:47:00 pm by Brick Tamland »

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2006, 05:16:11 pm »
Sherbourne's not so bad, there's a few decent pubs there. Though a few too many public school kids for my liking.
Ahem.

Have you ever made it as far as Taunton? There's the pick of dodgy meatmarkets here, you may even have a knife pulled on you if you go to the right places!

Nah. I only went there for the bowling. And once for the movies, I think. May have been the South Park Movie. 

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2006, 05:18:21 pm »
Well for pub drinking - although post last orders the clubs are a bit of a let down.

I only ever went to Moles. I think that's the name. Little music club under some old buildings.

In places like Sherborne, Wincanton and Frome, last orders always seemed like more of a guideline than a rule. Much like the age limit for drinking.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2006, 05:19:19 pm »

He makes it up as he goes along, you know.

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2006, 05:28:18 pm »
Lat night the two female vocalists were Elisabeth Fraser who used to sing with the Cocteau twins and Debra (deborah?) Wilson.

Elisabeth Fraser has an amazing voice .. absolutly beautiful
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2006, 05:40:37 pm »
Elisabeth Fraser has an amazing voice .. absolutly beautiful

You said it
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline lukas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2006, 05:15:28 pm »
Just got hold of this, not listened to it all yet.

Got up to track 8.

My favs so far are 'Teardrop' 'Inertia Creeps' and 'Butterfly Caught'

Looking forward to the rest of the songs.
PSN:lr3487

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2006, 07:05:33 pm »
Here's a two threads in one kinda posting

MASSIVE ATTACK
============
I saw the first night of Massive Attack's US tour last night in Houston. It was supposed to be the fifth night but they had to cancel the first four because of problems with immigration. It was a curious evening.

First, the venue was nowhere near sold out. I'd guess there was only about 800 people there.

Second, MA have gone decidedly metal from how I remember them. Some songs were longer than "Freebird" and with more guitar solos. Everything was still yay danceable though.

Third, they played some songs I didn't recognise until a kind man gave me the setlist (below) when I promptly doh'd myself. Since I'm not usually so dumb, I'd guess it was the arrangements that threw me.

- False Flags
- Rising Son
- Black Milk
- Man Next Door
- Butterfly Caught (Liz Fraser)
- Hymn of the Big Wheel
- Mezzanine
- Teardrop  (Liz Fraser)
- Angel
- Future Proof
- Safe From Harm

- Inertia Creeps
- Unfinished Sympathy
- Group Four  (Liz Fraser)

Fourth,  the light show during "Safe From Harm" threw up loads of statistics about the war in Iraq, and not one Texan tried to shoot 3D or protest MA's liberal agenda. Are you listening, Morrssey, you pussy?

Five, Daddy G wasn't there. 3D said something about a new baby, but there could've been any number of reasons why. Certainly, he was expected though because "Heat Miser" was on the set list, but crossed out.

SOMETHING NEW I LEARNED TODAY
=========================
After the Massive Attack show last night, I went dancing with my cousin. We didn't stay out yay late because of her babysitter. I guess we were home and all tucked up in bed by 2am at the latest.

This morning I woke up completely dead. I ached like I'd been sparring all night. And I was so tired I couldn't even face coffee. And now I'm home, after a three hour drive, I just want to curl up in a ball and die. But I have a little girl to look after so neither death nor sleep are options right now.

I'm supposed to be going out to see MA again tonight in Austin. But I think I'm going to stay home and get some sleep instead. How effing sad is that?

Anyway, what I've learned is that either

a) I'm not as young as I used to be, or
b) Motherhood has destroyed my inner party girl, or
c) I never had all the energy I thought I had. Just some damn good pills.
d) All of the above

As you were.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2006, 08:38:51 pm »

SOMETHING NEW I LEARNED TODAY
=========================
After the Massive Attack show last night, I went dancing with my cousin. We didn't stay out yay late because of her babysitter. I guess we were home and all tucked up in bed by 2am at the latest.

This morning I woke up completely dead. I ached like I'd been sparring all night. And I was so tired I couldn't even face coffee. And now I'm home, after a three hour drive, I just want to curl up in a ball and die. But I have a little girl to look after so neither death nor sleep are options right now.

I'm supposed to be going out to see MA again tonight in Austin. But I think I'm going to stay home and get some sleep instead. How effing sad is that?

Anyway, what I've learned is that either

a) I'm not as young as I used to be, or
b) Motherhood has destroyed my inner party girl, or
c) I never had all the energy I thought I had. Just some damn good pills.
d) All of the above

As you were.

And you're 21.  I could say all of he same and I am thirty bloody nine.  It's all relative, clearly.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #66 on: October 6, 2006, 09:10:38 pm »
A few pics taken on my digi camera from MA's gig at Westonbirt back in July

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #67 on: October 6, 2006, 09:11:27 pm »
Couple more

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #68 on: February 9, 2007, 08:46:34 am »
I'm reviving this thread b.c. Massive Attack are back in the recording studio....and from what little they said in their Guardian interview, they're returning to their earlier soulful sound (which, after 100th Window, is a good thing in my opinion!).  Daddy G is back, and let's just hope that they don't take too long to release this next one. 
« Last Edit: February 9, 2007, 08:57:48 am by neil4ad »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 9, 2007, 11:28:47 am »
I'm reviving this thread b.c. Massive Attack are back in the recording studio....and from what little they said in their Guardian interview, they're returning to their earlier soulful sound (which, after 100th Window, is a good thing in my opinion!).  Daddy G is back, and let's just hope that they don't take too long to release this next one. 

Sounds promising. I really like 100th Window, especially the songs I saw performed live, but it's not a patch on their first three albums.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2007, 05:44:05 am »
Sounds promising. I really like 100th Window, especially the songs I saw performed live, but it's not a patch on their first three albums.

I agree -- 100th Window was good, but for me, Sinead O'Connor's voice wasn't quite doing it.

I'm presuming that you've heard the last single they released?  I think it was July of last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT5_nLK54QU

If this is any indication of what's to come, it will be a great album.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2007, 11:15:28 am »
I think that Blue Lines, Protection and Mezzanine are such halcyonic albums, that to compare them to anything else would be to besmirch just how incredibly inspirational those two albums were and remain to be, to this day.

Out of those albums, Protection, Teardrop, Angel and Unfinished Symphony are the tracks that do it for me, however from a point of thought, the Hymm of the Big Wheel on Blue Lines, says so much about how we treat our Environment and how modern society was back then, and is still is, sadly.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2007, 06:26:27 pm »
I think that Blue Lines, Protection and Mezzanine are such halcyonic albums, that to compare them to anything else would be to besmirch just how incredibly inspirational those two albums were and remain to be, to this day.

Agreed, though Blue Lines and Mezzanine edge out Protection for me, at least.  I'm being a bit impatient for the next album.  I haven't heard anything about guest vocals.  I didn't really take to Del Nadja singing on 100th Window -- I prefer it when he sticks to the spoken work/rap. 

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2007, 12:00:26 pm »
I agree -- 100th Window was good, but for me, Sinead O'Connor's voice wasn't quite doing it.

I'm presuming that you've heard the last single they released?  I think it was July of last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT5_nLK54QU

If this is any indication of what's to come, it will be a great album.

Cheers - I never saw that video.

But I'm not having that about Sinead O'Connor  ;) I thought the track about paedophilia was ill-advised, but her voice is incredible.

I saw them at the Apollo and she joined them onstage to sing two tracks - it was absolutely stunning.

I can't think of many female artists with such natural talent - although I think she has largely wasted it when it comes to her studio recordings.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2007, 04:07:16 pm »
Cheers - I never saw that video.

But I'm not having that about Sinead O'Connor  ;) I thought the track about paedophilia was ill-advised, but her voice is incredible.

I saw them at the Apollo and she joined them onstage to sing two tracks - it was absolutely stunning.

I can't think of many female artists with such natural talent - although I think she has largely wasted it when it comes to her studio recordings.

Fair enough, mate. I saw her live once and she was amazing....maybe like you then, I just never found her studio work as compelling.

Anyone have a chance to see MA in London last week?

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2007, 12:09:19 pm »
Agreed, though Blue Lines and Mezzanine edge out Protection for me, at least.  I'm being a bit impatient for the next album.  I haven't heard anything about guest vocals.  I didn't really take to Del Nadja singing on 100th Window -- I prefer it when he sticks to the spoken work/rap. 
Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star is rumoured to appear on the album. Along with Dot Allison perhaps??? And also, maybe Damon Albarn. Along with Horace Any and Liz Fraser (obviously).

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2007, 12:16:58 pm »
Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star is rumoured to appear on the album. Along with Dot Allison perhaps??? And also, maybe Damon Albarn. Along with Horace Any and Liz Fraser (obviously).

Can't say that I ever really liked Mazzy Star -- I find Hope Sandoval's voice a bit droning.  But then again, almost everything Massive Attack do is magic.....bring back Shara Nelson!

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2007, 05:08:05 pm »
Watched the Britpop documentary Live Forever last week. 3D's comments are interesting and he comes across very well, although not as amusing as Noel and co. The extras featuring him are worth a look too, he talks about the scene in Bristol, what Massive Attack tried to do with their music and their problems in the USA with their name at the time of the first Iraq War, plus topics like the influence of The Specials and the record industry today.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #78 on: June 6, 2013, 04:06:22 pm »
Who's having a bit of this then?

Massive Attack v Adam Curtis

‘A collective hallucination’ Robert Del Naja

‘A musical entertainment about the power of illusion and the illusion of power’ Adam Curtis

A new show
In collaboration with Felix Barrett, Es Devlin and UnitedVisualArtists

Use the hashtag #MIFMAVAC

Commissioned by Manchester International Festival and Ruhrtriennale International Festival of the Arts.

Event Information
DATES
Thu 4 - Sat 13 July

PRICES
£36
£31 limited conc: disabled* / senior citizen / student / jobseeker
+ transaction fee

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/may/24/massive-attack-robert-del-naja

https://www.quaytickets.com/mif/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=BEB89C6E-BF82-4D97-B9A2-8FFE1278079E
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #79 on: June 6, 2013, 04:09:56 pm »
All over that like my first attempt at a Frenchie with a girl when I was 14.

haha top man, me too I think !
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.