Author Topic: Sub lost visiting the Titanic.  (Read 28029 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Sub lost visiting the Titanic.
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2023, 01:52:13 pm »
On a CNN interview yesterday, it was mentioned that they had lost contact with the sub once before for 2 hours, last year I think, though it got sorted out in the end. Can't believe people would take that risk, but these aren't just the average person. One of them has also gone on a spaceflight last year, so taking risks seems to add to the enjoyment.

Guess when you have that much money everyday life becomes blasé

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Offline Salger

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2023, 02:11:47 pm »
This may already have been answered previously but I don't understand why there is so much uncertainty about the subs location. Surely they must have known its location at the point they lost contact with it and you could make some accurate predictions about it's subsequent location from that? Lots of people saying 'it may be caught up in the wreckage' - surely they would have known if it was already at the wreckage site before losing contact?
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2023, 02:26:44 pm »
If the tapping is coming from the sub, the captain should know tap code to indicate their situation, no?
Kill the humourless

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2023, 02:28:23 pm »
This may already have been answered previously but I don't understand why there is so much uncertainty about the subs location. Surely they must have known its location at the point they lost contact with it and you could make some accurate predictions about it's subsequent location from that? Lots of people saying 'it may be caught up in the wreckage' - surely they would have known if it was already at the wreckage site before losing contact?

If they are at The Titanic they should just be looking for a big iceberg. They won't be far from that.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2023, 02:32:16 pm »
If the tapping is coming from the sub, the captain should know tap code to indicate their situation, no?

There's not a proper captain on board, the CEO of the company is driving it, he's an ex engineer and pilot, so I doubt he even knows morse code

They don't know if the vessel even has a distress beacon, so they don't know if its on the bottom or on the surface (although the tapping sounds reported would suggest its on the seabed) and if its still near the wreck site or if it's miles away, so basically they are looking for a white tube about the size of a Transit van in the Atlantic Ocean.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2023, 02:37:33 pm »

How to tap "We're fucked" in Morse code?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2023, 02:46:34 pm »
There's not a proper captain on board, the CEO of the company is driving it, he's an ex engineer and pilot, so I doubt he even knows morse code

Tap is Morse for dummies.  There's no dah in Tap.
Kill the humourless

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2023, 03:30:51 pm »
Morse code would be a bit of a stretch, but supposedly the drill is to tap continuously for three minutes every hour and half hour. That's one of those useful survival tips you're never taught in school so it's good to know. :D

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2023, 03:40:55 pm »

Losing contact with the surface is normal after a certain depth, so losing contact in itself doesn’t mean there’s a problem. The concerns started when the sub didn’t re-establish contact, so there’s quite a big window as to when the sub got into trouble. At the depth of the Titanic there is no way for the sub to communicate out of the water unless the sub has a tether or umbilical cord (which this sub didn’t) so there’s a huge period where the sub goes silent even when everything is working as expected.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2023, 03:59:26 pm »
Didn't wanna chip in on this but here I am now

The Americans not accepting help from certain companies is mental, reminds me a lot of the Kursk incident where the Russian denied everything until it was way too late and it was perfectly feasible to rescue them.

There are a few bad takes on this thread, so as someone who works in the industry, let me address them:

1. People saying it is simple and blah blah, simple is good in these sort of vehicles, less things to go wrong.

2. The controller is common in DSV/UROV's and even Submarines, I have seen PS4 controllers used and XBOX ones also, same as USAF use for their drones. It is a simple, mass produced set of switches which is intuitive, it makes a lot of sense and you can have lots of spares.

3. The safety systems. There seemingly are none, this is the main flaw for me, it's proper amateur hour, the main thing is the lack of cameras on arms, you need a 3rd person view of your surroundings to properly navigate them, using one or two close to body cameras is super dangerous in a ROV let alone a DSV with crew.

I would hypothesise that they are stuck under something, why? Well the DSV will have water fuses, if it remains in water for too long, they pop, drop the ballasts and deploy the balloon to bring it to the surface safely and automatically. Clearly that has not happened so I would say it must be stuck under wreckage they got too close to or something otherwise the fuses failed or whatever but it is simple tried and tested tech... very odd!!

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2023, 04:01:17 pm »

Think the tapping is just the crabs trying to open their dinner?

Seriously, I'd rather go by implosion than a long drawn out suffocation or drowning by a leak.
Simultaneously ignited and compressed to the size of a golf ball by the force of millions of tons of water suddenly rushing into every orifice faster than the human brain can comprehend.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2023, 04:05:59 pm »

The Americans not accepting help from certain companies is mental, reminds me a lot of the Kursk incident where the Russian denied everything until it was way too late and it was perfectly feasible to rescue them.

There are a few bad takes on this thread, so as someone who works in the industry, let me address them:

1. People saying it is simple and blah blah, simple is good in these sort of vehicles, less things to go wrong.

2. The controller is common in DSV/UROV's and even Submarines, I have seen PS4 controllers used and XBOX ones also, same as USAF use for their drones. It is a simple, mass produced set of switches which is intuitive, it makes a lot of sense and you can have lots of spares.

3. The safety systems. There seemingly are none, this is the main flaw for me, it's proper amateur hour, the main thing is the lack of cameras on arms, you need a 3rd person view of your surroundings to properly navigate them, using one or two close to body cameras is super dangerous in a ROV let alone a DSV with crew.

I would hypothesise that they are stuck under something, why? Well the DSV will have water fuses, if it remains in water for too long, they pop, drop the ballasts and deploy the balloon to bring it to the surface safely and automatically. Clearly that has not happened so I would say it must be stuck under wreckage they got too close to or something otherwise the fuses failed or whatever but it is simple tried and tested tech... very odd!!

Nice to read something written by someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thanks Phil

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2023, 04:09:50 pm »

Thanks for this Phil.

What about being locked in? That it can only be opened from outside only.

That seems madness.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 04:11:45 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2023, 04:22:50 pm »
Thanks for this Phil.

That seems madness.

Its not like their going to be able to open it up from the inside down there are they?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2023, 04:25:47 pm »
Its not like their going to be able to open it up from the inside down there are they?

Without a way to open it from the inside they could float to the surface and still suffocate.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2023, 04:27:01 pm »
Without a way to open it from the inside they could float to the surface and still suffocate.

Wouldnt they get crushed?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2023, 04:29:15 pm »
Wouldnt they get crushed?

I meant if they were able to shed ballast they'd be able to float up to the surface, but if they're locked in from the outside they're still relying on someone finding them.

Online PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2023, 04:30:46 pm »
Thanks for this Phil.

That seems madness.

I would assume that design choice was made in regard to the pressures and thus using machinery to secure seal was better than a manually operated one. Unfortunately cannot give better insight on this one as I know more about ROV's but I would hazard at the seal being the reason, machinery keeps it much more secure/tight than any human released handle could. Also, I'd imagine also smart choice so no one could have a freak out inside and open it.

Someone earlier (apologies, forget who) linked to Triton's webpage (re-linked below) - they are big boys in making submersibles for ultra deep dives (they have gone to the Challenger Deep, deepest point in the ocean like... 4-5 times), I actually am not familiar with their design but they look awesome, would love to see the tech.

https://tritonsubs.com/subs/ultradeep/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 04:42:19 pm by PhilV »

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2023, 04:32:28 pm »
Projections of only about 20 hours of oxygen left, unless they get to them soon, you can only think the worst will or already has happened

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2023, 04:39:14 pm »
I meant if they were able to shed ballast they'd be able to float up to the surface, but if they're locked in from the outside they're still relying on someone finding them.

That’s what I meant

I doubt that would be very safe too
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2023, 04:45:51 pm »
I would assume that design choice was made in regard to the pressures and thus using machinery to secure seal was better than a manually operated one. Unfortunately cannot give better insight on this one as I know more about ROV's but I would hazard at the seal being the reason, machinery keeps it much more secure/tight than any human released handle could.

Someone earlier (apologies, forget who) linked to Triton's webpage (re-linked below) - they are big boys in making submersibles for ultra deep dives (they have gone to the Challenger Deep, deepest point in the ocean like... 4-5 times), I actually am not familiar with their design but they look awesome, would love to see the tech.

https://tritonsubs.com/subs/ultradeep/

It was me - I couldn't understand how a millionaire/billionaire chose to go down in an uncertified submersible with constant references to death in the waiver (3 on page on page 1 alone), when for £10million, if he felt like buying it or a lot less if available to rent  (BBC1 use the 3000 version for their filming, so I assume the 13000 is also available) he could have a fully certified vessel from a highly professional company. No way on this earth would I take my son that deep in the sea in anything but the very very best available.
Jurgen YNWA

Online PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2023, 04:49:18 pm »
It was me - I couldn't understand how a millionaire/billionaire chose to go down in an uncertified submersible with constant references to death in the waiver (3 on page on page 1 alone), when for £10million, if he felt like buying it or a lot less if available to rent  (BBC1 use the 3000 version for their filming, so I assume the 13000 is also available) he could have a fully certified vessel from a highly professional company. No way on this earth would I take my son that deep in the sea in anything but the very very best available.

Sorry for forgetting but good on you for mentioning it.

I for one totally agree, wouldn't be caught in that OceanGate one, even if they were paying me! I honestly firmly believe people forget not everyone who is ultra wealthy is also very smart, our capitalistic society seemingly says they go hand in hand, well you had Steve Jobs die of a very treatable cancer cause he decided he knew better and eatign fruit would sort it, Elon is Elon and here you have this guy, when, as you say there is better alternatives.

I'd equate it to going to do a rally in a homebuilt car by some guy who has some understanding of it instead of using a WRC Subaru or whoever is good at rally cars these days.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2023, 04:53:06 pm »
The waiver they signed mentioned death three times on first page.

You would have to have some faith in the guy leading it.

One of them could’ve given me their 250 grand instead, they’d be alive and I wouldn’t be stuck renting!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2023, 04:53:16 pm »

but therefore surely there is less to go right when a problem occurs?
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2023, 04:56:44 pm »
Interesting reading Phil's post there, thanks for sharing that.

Total sympathy with the people on board. Complaining about their carbon footprint flying to all corners of the world is one hell of a stretch. At the end of the day they're human beings suffering pretty much the worst imaginable way of dying, I find it very hard to just say "wow what a bunch of fucking idiots".

Also a lot of people wondering why it's a big story. It's a pretty unique situation isn't it? Migrant boats, tragically, sink all the time. People are becoming immune to it. Lots of people care deeply about it and it is a major talking point all year round. There are clearly some people who can be accused of double standards for the way they talk about this story compared to their opinions on refugees but it's not everyone.

This story is massive for many reasons, not least the grizzly way in which it looks like these people are about to go. The homemade sub with the Xbox remote, it's a story that captures the imagination. Hence why the people who don't think it should be such a big story are all contributing merrily to this 5 page thread about it. Some stories will always get more attention than perhaps it deserves in terms of it's actual global significance and this is one of them.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2023, 04:57:05 pm »
Sorry for forgetting but good on you for mentioning it.

I for one totally agree, wouldn't be caught in that OceanGate one, even if they were paying me! I honestly firmly believe people forget not everyone who is ultra wealthy is also very smart, our capitalistic society seemingly says they go hand in hand, well you had Steve Jobs die of a very treatable cancer cause he decided he knew better and eatign fruit would sort it, Elon is Elon and here you have this guy, when, as you say there is better alternatives.

I'd equate it to going to do a rally in a homebuilt car by some guy who has some understanding of it instead of using a WRC Subaru or whoever is good at rally cars these days.

Agreed, being rich doesn't equate with having common sense or being bright. I just cannot fathom (pardon the pun) how anyone can treat the safety aspect of deep sea tourism as a joke, like OceanGate seems to have done. I've done helicopter pleasure flights, I've done a skydive and with the companies involved safety was the No1 priority. With knowing how badly it can go wrong in a chopper, there is no way I'd have taken my lad up in a cobbled together home built helicopter, but maybe I'm just more aware than these people.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2023, 05:00:29 pm »
Agreed, being rich doesn't equate with having common sense or being bright. I just cannot fathom (pardon the pun) how anyone can treat the safety aspect of deep sea tourism as a joke, like OceanGate seems to have done. I've done helicopter pleasure flights, I've done a skydive and with the companies involved safety was the No1 priority. With knowing how badly it can go wrong in a chopper, there is no way I'd have taken my lad up in a cobbled together home built helicopter, but maybe I'm just more aware than these people.
perhaps they've taken for granted the idea that if it's allowed to happen and costs that much money then it must be legitimate? Youd think if it was unsafe and not fit for purpose then it wouldn't even be legal? I don't know. They've taken a gamble, no doubt about it. 

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2023, 05:02:35 pm »
When the occupants of the mini-sub 'wake up' tomorrow...

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2023, 05:04:07 pm »

All the reports seem to suggest the French guy on board is super experienced.

I would imagine they put full faith in him.

Do we know if this vessel has done this before ?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2023, 05:04:15 pm »

oh rob - you've plummeted the deepest depths with that one

..and before anyone gets upset - it's only gallows humour - we hope for the best outcome
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2023, 05:04:47 pm »
One of them could’ve given me their 250 grand instead, they’d be alive and I wouldn’t be stuck renting!

No bragging rights down the golf club for doing that though!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2023, 05:12:06 pm »

Are there other companies doing these titanic viewings? Just curious.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2023, 05:16:07 pm »

Yeah but that way they wouldn’t have been able to see the place that Jack painted Rose.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2023, 05:16:52 pm »
When the occupants of the mini-sub 'wake up' tomorrow...

Deffo worth it. Height of Leo’s fitness as well.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2023, 05:17:14 pm »
Are there other companies doing these titanic viewings? Just curious.

now don't you go and get on one will yer - but if you do can i have your camera stuff?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2023, 05:17:55 pm »
Aside from the tragic drama, this now looks like one of the most ridiculous follies of the Century. The health and safety equivalent of setting fire to yourself.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2023, 05:18:16 pm »

Keep wondering if they could be stuck under the boat the came from.

To be honest to me the most likely scenario is that for some reason the ballast jammed and they couldn't dump it to resurface.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2023, 05:19:16 pm »
now don't you go and get on one will yer - but if you do can i have your camera stuff?

If I had 10mil to spend on a submarine ride to doom, i'd buy you and me a new camera setup!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #198 on: June 21, 2023, 05:19:29 pm »
Tap is Morse for dummies.  There's no dah in Tap.
There's definitely a ta-dah in Tap though. Just ask Sammy Davis Jnr

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2023, 05:22:03 pm »
Do we know if this vessel has done this before ?

pretty sure its been mentioned that this vessel has done this 'trip' a number of times but i cant find a quote
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'