Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 803352 times)

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2008, 08:40:27 pm »
The official results have added a good 3.5 mins to my time, but never mind - I'm still in the paper and my beer was lovely. Next race is themorra neet as they say up here - looking forward to it.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2008, 09:08:08 pm »
The official results have added a good 3.5 mins to my time, but never mind - I'm still in the paper and my beer was lovely. Next race is themorra neet as they say up here - looking forward to it.

What's the distance Elli? Have a good run and if they don't give you a beer, treat yourself ;)

Saw an ad for a 10k in the free rags - you run with musical accompaniment from the Royal Philharmonic. Not sure how it works but looks quite interesting.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2008, 09:22:16 pm »
Tomorrow night is 6.5 miles, so a shade over a 10K. Buffet supper after this one (I choose my races carefully you'll have noticed ;) or is it just that Geordie runners have their priorities right?)

I've got involved today with a very exciting running-related thing but I'll wait for more details before I say more :)

The Royal Phil thing sounds fun! Where's that at?

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2008, 09:43:22 pm »
The secret run event sounds intriguing!

6.5 is a nice distance, enjoy. You got a time in mind or just going along for the event (and buffet?!)

Royal Phil is down in stinking London, Battersea Park I think: www.suerydercare.org

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2008, 09:55:36 pm »
For the time being, I'm just running to finish comfortably - got an idea of how long it'll take me but not pushing that for now. I had plenty left for a fast finish last week so that's my main aim for tomorrow. Also trying to stay injury-free after all the ankle and shoulder hassles! But it's a riverside course, so flat and probably fast. Certainly looking forward to it (and there's heavy rain forecast so it could be an excellent mudfest).

I'm used to orienteering, where the courses I run are usually about 4.5-5.5k plus navigation (i.e. excuses to stop and examine the map), so these are still long distances for me! :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:18:04 pm by Elli »

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2008, 10:09:51 am »
Penny Lane Striders 10k on Sunday. Any one joining me??

Offline ZiggyPlayedGuitar

• Main Stander
  • Finally knows his arse from his elbow
« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2008, 04:24:59 pm »
Maybe someone on here can help. I've recently started running again, and did about 7 miles on Sun.

Headed out this morning for an easy 5k, but within about 30 seconds I had excruciating pain in my right knee. I couldn't even walk for a couple of mins. Tried to start a gentle jog, but same again, so headed home feeling very pissed off.

I can walk now, but if I bend my knee I can still feel it. I don't remember feeling anything on Sun, nor was I really going for it. I stretched off as normal afterwards.

Anyone had this or know what it could be and how long I should lay off for?

Ta.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2008, 09:41:38 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed that - ran the 6.5 miler tonight faster than I ran the 5.9 miler last Monday, so that's good news. It was a nice flat riverside route, and the weather was cooler, so I'm not under any illusions that I'm now fast, but I am very pleased.

Not 100% certain of my time as I wasn't sure exactly where the finish line was - confusing funnel and lots of people shouting things - but I don't think I quite squeaked in under the hour mark. Maybe 1:03 or thereabouts. Next time... ;)

Edit: oh and had my first proper runner's high tonight. Feels good!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:01:59 pm by Elli »

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: June 18, 2008, 11:20:37 pm »
Ziggy - last knee pain I had was caused by a tight ITB, which required about a month's rest and a change to my stretching routine. Could be a load of things though so best to get it properly looked at.

Elli - congrats on the runner's high, makes all the effort worthwhile! Enjoy the post-race buzz.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: June 25, 2008, 09:46:04 am »
Penny Lane Striders 10k on Sunday. Any one joining me??

Race took place in very windy conditions but managed to win!! Ran from the front all the way and broke the second place guy from Salford with 1200m to go!

Any one else go??

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #250 on: June 25, 2008, 09:48:52 am »
Race took place in very windy conditions but managed to win!! Ran from the front all the way and broke the second place guy from Salford with 1200m to go!

Any one else go??
Well done mate, excellent stuff.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: June 25, 2008, 12:29:56 pm »
Congratulations Dave!

Hopefully got a 10K on Sunday but got a slight injury concern and don't want to exacerbate it. Badly want to run though. Grr.

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2008, 12:41:17 pm »
Good going Dave.

I've a 5k on Sunday - looking forward to it.

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2008, 02:16:23 pm »
Should hopefully be running a fell race next tuesday evening.
500 feet of climbing over 5 miles.
Anyone done anything similar? If so, how'd you find it?

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2008, 02:36:11 pm »

I watched one last month and it looked terrible.  You must be seriously fit KK!!

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #255 on: June 25, 2008, 02:37:12 pm »
And another

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2008, 02:36:48 pm »
As a first post a bit of background:  Been running competitively since 12 (26 years now) - although not done anything for last 18 months - work, family, can't be arsed.

PB's: 10K 33:08, 10mile 56:30, Half 1:15:06

Fell running is tough but exhilirating, you get to see some of the most breathtaking scenery in some races.  The most difficult part that i found was actually running downhill, you wouldn't believe how fast some of these guys can run down very steep fell. That's how races are won.

One thing to point out is that you can get injured easily and therefore if you have any niggles in ankles, knee joints then stay away.  I once tore my ligaments in a Fell race in 1989 and have not recovered since.  Sometimes i wake in a morning and struggle to walk.  Unfortunately in those days i couldn't afford the physio needed, and as a runner i was back trying to run far sooner that i should have been.

For those who wish to start dabbling i would probably guide them towards trail races first and foremost and get used to racing off road.  From there go to fell running.  Always check the distance and climbing.  In some longer races the course is not mapped out and it is upto the runner to get from point A to B.

Don't want to waffle too much but if anyone wants to know more give us a shout.

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #257 on: June 27, 2008, 04:29:40 pm »
Cheers Zilt.
Done trail races before, and run off road frequently, so i guess the terrain won't be the problem.

I understand what you say about coming down. I Run with some fell runners and they are so fast coming down, they just eat the hills up both ways.

Oh well, what doesn't kill me...

...will only seriously injure me. :)

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2008, 09:59:47 am »
Doing a strange one today.  It's less than three miles but it has an unusual twist; you enter it in a two person team and have to carry a bale of straw between you over the distance.  And was there something else...oh yes, you have to drink a pint of ale at each of the five pubs en route!  I feel knackered before I start as I did a tough 100k bike race yesterday with about 2000 metres of climb so today could be just what I need!!! 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #259 on: June 29, 2008, 10:04:12 am »

Done loads but one thing to be aware of; it's not 500 feet or whatever the height advertised over the distance, it's 500 feet of climb over 2 1/2 miles!  Then comes the piss easy part as it's 500 feet of descent over the last half.  It's very rare that the height is evenly distributed over the full distance as it's more normal for the race to have an objective; the summit of a hill, and it will be advertised as such.  I think one of the only races where this rule doesn't apply is on Merseyside!  The Ashurst Beacon fell race on the hills above Wigan actually finishes on the summit, which, incidentally, is the highest point on Merseyside! 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2008, 12:02:15 pm »
Did a 10k this morning, the Dysart Dash. Was hoping to beat last month's time of 54:35 and managed it nicely finishing in 52:45. Still a long way off my PB in the low forties but any improvement as I look to drop weight and get stronger is fine by me. Doing a BUPA 10k next month so aiming for another drop in time, would like to get under 50/49 minutes by the end of summer.

Best wishes to everyone running today :wave

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: July 8, 2008, 11:12:30 am »

Putting things into perspective

Last night I ran a (very enjoyable) women-only race which has been renamed in recent years, in honour of a lady called Anita Nott. Until last night all I knew about her was that she had been a runner who was "tragically killed" a couple of years ago.

It transpired at the awards presentation that she had left 2 boys, who were handing out all the trophies and flowers, and a man who I assumed to be her husband and their father. This morning I've found out that the man was in fact her fiancé at the time of her death, and that the boys' father had died 5 years previously from a brain tumour.

I was going to come on here and mention the race from my own point of view, maybe have a quick moan about my ongoing injury problems, but now all I can think about is how incredible those two boys are. They're only about 15 and about 10.

I also wanted to say - be really careful out on your training runs. She died whilst out for a run on holiday in North Yorkshire, when she was hit by a car and killed instantly.

If anyone wants to read it, the article is here

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #262 on: July 8, 2008, 11:29:45 am »
That's terrible news.  A woman in the group that I run with was hit by a car recently.  The car drove on and didn't stop to help her.  Luckily she was just badly bruised but it could have easily been so different.

On another note I'm thinking of doing a half marathon at the end of september.  What would be the best preparation?  I take it would be running 3 or more times a week?  I'm running 6 miles at the minute so I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: July 8, 2008, 05:12:52 pm »
On another note I'm thinking of doing a half marathon at the end of september.  What would be the best preparation?  I take it would be running 3 or more times a week?  I'm running 6 miles at the minute so I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew.

The more miles you can do the better prepared you will be but you have to increase it gradually so that you do not get injured. If you could fit an extra run in to take it up to four days running that would be good. Try doing a slightly longer run on a sunday and see how you go. Dont focus on running it in a really quick time though...time on your feet is what matters. Of course it all depends on in what state you wish to get round the half marathon too.
Elite athletes mix up there training and its not all done at fast pace. I do three really hard sessions a week and most of my other running is recovery time and then a long sunday run.
If you want to know anything drop me a message.

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #264 on: July 8, 2008, 08:52:25 pm »
Results from the fell race i did have been published... did it in just over 46 mins. Not the best time in the world, possible down to knee injury/inpending d of e expedition, but either way, i'm looking to improve the time. More hill reps...

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #265 on: July 10, 2008, 01:30:25 pm »
LFCDave is correct. It's time on your feet and not trying to increase the training too quickly as this can result in injury. Once you have the basic grounding and mileage in your legs, the next step is to try and work on the speed/endurance should you want to get your time down.

BTW Dave, noticed you run for Holmfirth.  I am a member of Halifax, however i haven't competed for around 3 years.  Might get back into it now as i've 18months until i'm a V40!

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #266 on: July 10, 2008, 02:15:34 pm »
Results from the fell race i did have been published... did it in just over 46 mins. Not the best time in the world, possible down to knee injury/inpending d of e expedition, but either way, i'm looking to improve the time. More hill reps...

Don't know how you did a fell run KK.  Well done you.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2008, 10:15:06 pm »
Just a quick one: did the BUPA 10k in 49:10 yesterday. Was well chuffed to get back under 50 minutes. Now comes the hard work to get back down to sub-45s!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2008, 06:32:10 am »
Back to running, which makes me feel great.  30k last week, over 4 runs, gently. 

Pheeny

« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »
Back to running, which makes me feel great.  30k last week, over 4 runs, gently. 
I shall be starting again next week.Going to do a 10k in October with my sisiter in law.

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2008, 09:41:43 pm »
I shall be starting again next week.Going to do a 10k in October with my sisiter in law.
Good luck pheeny - You got a time in mind?

Pheeny

« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2008, 04:27:15 pm »
Good luck pheeny - You got a time in mind?
no.But certainly won't beat my PB of under 40 mins.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: September 23, 2008, 03:47:22 pm »
A question for the more experienced runers - I sprained my ankle ligaments a week ago playing footie, but the nature of my job means I haven't really had any time to rest it. I'm wearing an aircast most of the time, and will be doing for the next week or two, but how long will it be before I can start training again? It's strange how much I've realised I actually like running, even if it's just a 5k on the treadmill before a gym session!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:20:27 am by Col »
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: September 23, 2008, 03:52:25 pm »
Took me a good 6-8 weeks and even then it was very susceptible to severe twinges if I caught it wrong. It's fine now, despite many warnings that it might always have some instability, but good trainers have helped a lot I think.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2008, 02:24:30 am »
Took me a good 6-8 weeks and even then it was very susceptible to severe twinges if I caught it wrong. It's fine now, despite many warnings that it might always have some instability, but good trainers have helped a lot I think.

Nightmare. Do you ever have any problems with it these days?

It's frustrating, at the time I did it I was probably fitter than I've ever been, then in a one-week period I managed to pull a thigh muscle, break a toe, and do my ankle. I felt like Harry Kewell!
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2008, 10:08:46 am »
Don't worry, you'll be fit for the final.

Offline Pym

• Main Stander
« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2008, 02:03:33 pm »
I've decided to commit to running three times a week in order to improve fitness for the sunday league I play in....

Did a 10k three days ago in 50 mins and did a 5k today in 20.5mins

Anyone got any useful tips on methods for improving stamina to maintain pace over 10k distance?

Many thanks

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2008, 09:20:10 pm »
I've decided to commit to running three times a week in order to improve fitness for the sunday league I play in....

Did a 10k three days ago in 50 mins and did a 5k today in 20.5mins

Anyone got any useful tips on methods for improving stamina to maintain pace over 10k distance?

Many thanks

Have a look into interval training, will make you stronger in football. You also recover while you run so get a stamina boost too.

Jetting off for marathon number five tomorrow (running Lake Garda on Sunday). Still too heavy, but a stone lighter than when I did Rome earier this year. Ran that in 4:26 (a loooooong way off my 3:32 PB) so would just be happy to go a bit quicker and show signs of improvement. Wish me luck :D

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 30, 2008, 12:02:49 am »
Sunday I ran my first half-marathon in the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon/Half-Marathon, an event in downtown Toronto that had 14,000 participants and celebrated it's 100th year.

Amazing. I'm hooked. There's no better feeling than having thousands of people cheering you to the finish line with loud music playing after having run over 2 hours.

Three months of training was totally worth it. The event provided a training schedule which I followed, and it prepared me adequately. The longest run in training was 17km (the half marathon is 21km).

Here's the website for the run I did: http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/index.htm

Planning now to go in a 10km race in 3 weeks, and doing the Hamilton 'Around the Bay' 30km race in March, which is a very old race.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Pym

• Main Stander
« Reply #279 on: September 30, 2008, 06:38:48 pm »
Have a look into interval training, will make you stronger in football. You also recover while you run so get a stamina boost too.

Jetting off for marathon number five tomorrow (running Lake Garda on Sunday). Still too heavy, but a stone lighter than when I did Rome earier this year. Ran that in 4:26 (a loooooong way off my 3:32 PB) so would just be happy to go a bit quicker and show signs of improvement. Wish me luck :D

Cheers for the info, how did the marathon go?