Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 809766 times)

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #280 on: September 30, 2008, 08:56:05 pm »
No worries, www.halhigdon.com is always a useful resource for training programmes.

Maratona went well, sub-4 hours finishing in 03:57:56, so my 2nd quickest of the five I've done. I'm chuffed :D
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline FrancisTierney

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #281 on: October 2, 2008, 01:14:51 am »
Hi guys,

Im new to RAWK and came across this thread.  I run a lot, for Liverpool Harriers and Merseyside over track, road and Country.  I work for a running brand too so am in close proximity with events/ products and  thought I could be of help to anyone contemplating taking up the sport or trying to improve.  I love seeing people get the running bug and trying to improve.  Thats the great thing about the sport, it doesnt matter if your an altitude born Kenyan or someone just starting out, you all have goals.

As i said, anyone need any help/advice/Encouragement just post and il do my best to help.

Mate, seriously it has, no shit. For one I am still wearing my sauconys two years after you having recomended them!! Same pair!

Last night I spoke to this bloke at my local footy practice, he used to run 23 miles every sunday morning and then 5 miles every sunday evening in addition to 4 miles a day. His best ever time for london was 2 hrs 27 mins!!!!!!! Unbelieveable. He said he kept pace with Ron Hill for 23 miles! - I've heard of the sports make but never even know ron hill existed (shows my age maybe). Then, he said that at 55 he competed in an oldies marathon of europe and came 17th with a time of 2 hrs 47!! His best half marathon time wa 1 hr 12 mins. Fucking unbelievable. Truly inspiring.

And...he said, that he never gave a flying F about what he ate. Just ate what he wanted. He used to have eggs on toast and a bowl of cereal on the morning of a marathon. Truly impressive. Not theh bioggest bloke in the world either, maybe 5 ft 7, so for a fellow 5 ft 7er I have hope! 

Ive met Ronhill a few times through work, he lives near Hyde, Manchester and goes into my mates running shop every thursday for a chat, before getting a chippy across the road for himself and his wife.  Ronhill held the world marathon record at one time, 2 hours 9.  He told us that he did this during a 96 mile week and during his training he ran up to 150 miles in a week.  The guy, like others of his generation was made of something different.
He ran in a race every week and felt this is what improved him, the incentive provided by competition.

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: October 2, 2008, 02:07:36 pm »
I've got a problem I think you all might be able to solve: I think I can do a 5k, except by the time I hit 4k, my back muscles are tight as hell. That's the only reason why I have to stop. My legs, lungs, and heart seem to be able to go on, but not my back. Any tips on that?

Pheeny

« Reply #283 on: October 2, 2008, 03:57:08 pm »
was going to go for a run the other day but found my son has taken my shoes to Uni.Ended up on the rowing machine instead.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: October 2, 2008, 04:19:59 pm »
was going to go for a run the other day but found my son has taken my shoes to Uni.Ended up on the rowing machine instead.

As if his room wouldn't smell enough already!

I'm out of the cast now, but no running for me just yet. It'll come.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline FrancisTierney

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #285 on: October 2, 2008, 05:08:31 pm »
I've got a problem I think you all might be able to solve: I think I can do a 5k, except by the time I hit 4k, my back muscles are tight as hell. That's the only reason why I have to stop. My legs, lungs, and heart seem to be able to go on, but not my back. Any tips on that?

Hi mate, 1st of all, none of this I THINK i can do a 5k talk.  You said yourself that cardiovascularly you feel fine at 4k and its just your back muscles that cause a problem. Therefore You DEFO CAN do a 5k.

Coming back to your problem, 2 things would immediately spring to mind :

1:  The efficient runner is someone who remains in perfect alignment from head to toe.  Problem being that these individuals are very very rare. Most of us are poorly aligned without knowing it.  When your running, where is your face pointing?  Loads of people look toward the floor or the floor they will soon run over.  Thinking about this position, it means your kneck is dipped and out of alignment.  Try and always look forward with your head in an up-right position.  This could take strain off back muscles. 

2:  SHOES.  The common mis-conception is that shoes will only benefit you from a blistering and possibly shin perspective.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Ive seen people cure kneck pain, back pain, groin trouble, and lower limb issues simply by replacing their running shoes.
Running puts 3 times your body weight through your joints with every stride so a good cushioned shoe is in my opinion the most important purchase.

Cushioning is a priority

Those people running long distances may also need to find a shoe which helps their alignment through a supportive feature within the arch of the shoe. (This is a whole other can of worms).

Some people you meet are very lucky and can get away with running in bloody sandals if they had to.  Were all different though and i can hand on heart say that investing in a pair of proper running shoes is a very sensible step to take.  Aches, pains and injuries can disappear instantaneously.

Post if theres any other stuff your stuck on.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: October 2, 2008, 07:34:36 pm »
Just got my unsucssesful letter for the London Marathon.... Gutted....  :butt
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: October 2, 2008, 11:13:58 pm »
Cheers Francis, that tip about keeping my head level helped tremendously! Did 2 miles of interval training today and back wasn't hurting at all during the jogging parts!

Offline FrancisTierney

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #288 on: October 3, 2008, 01:05:32 am »
Cheers Francis, that tip about keeping my head level helped tremendously! Did 2 miles of interval training today and back wasn't hurting at all during the jogging parts!

Great.  Hope it stays that way.  Keeping your head facing forward feels weird at first but im sure its just one of those things you get used to.

Any other stuff just post it up.  Good work with the intervals.  As challenging as intervals can be, they sometimes break the boredom of those runs you just dont fancy.  ;D

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: October 3, 2008, 05:22:11 am »
Indeed they can! I was doing 1/2 mile jog, 1/2 mile interval, 1/4 mile jog, 1/4 mile interval, 1/4 mile jog, 1/4 mile interval, cool down jog. Got me absolutely knackered! Gotta say, I fancy this interval stuff!

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: October 3, 2008, 10:47:56 am »
No worries, www.halhigdon.com is always a useful resource for training programmes.

Maratona went well, sub-4 hours finishing in 03:57:56, so my 2nd quickest of the five I've done. I'm chuffed :D

Well played Ben :) Got any more races planned over the winter?

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: October 3, 2008, 10:47:32 pm »
Well played Ben :) Got any more races planned over the winter?

Thanks Elli :) Not got any races planned as of yet, but have set myself a couple of targets before training for marathon #6. Lake Garda was a confidence boost, now would like to lose a couple of stone over winter as well as run a sub-47:30 10k and a sub 22:00 5k. One of those will stand me in good stead, all three and I might start thinking marathon PB in 2009 :D

Are you signed up for any events?

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: October 3, 2008, 11:31:12 pm »
Living in Canada, it's cold enough that you want to keep some minor fat stores at least. For this reason, I'm going to stay off the full marathons and stick to the halves and 10kms.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Pym

• Main Stander
« Reply #293 on: October 4, 2008, 10:02:33 am »
I've been loving the running recently, 4 times a week between 5 and 10k a time.... and just come down with the bug that's going around so been unable to run for the last 4 days.... so frustrating

I'm half tempted to do a short run to try and sweat it out but may do more harm than good....

What are your guy's thoughts on training while under the weather?

Offline FrancisTierney

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #294 on: October 4, 2008, 02:16:28 pm »
Running when your under the weather is a really weird one.  It depends on just how ill you are.

If you have a cold or head cold of some sort then running can clear nasal areas and be of use to you.  If its a full on bug though and your body feels crap then believe me its not worth it. 
You will feel great after you have run but then 2 hours later it will hit home and you'll feel crap.

The best runners in the world know what their resting heart rate is (take it when you wake up and are lying down).  Then if they get up one day and the heart rate is very high all of  a sudden it could mean they are unwell as the body is working hard to fight an illlness.

When you run day in day out and push your body to great lengths you learn so much about how your body works its untrue.  I was in heavy training last year and got ill but kept training and it just pro-longed the illness for 6 weeks.  I couldnt get rid of it.

When your ill, its amazing how much energy you expend in just fighting illness.

If your going to get into running as you seem so keen, i would reccomend taking daily vitamins or a drink called berrocca which is a tablet based drink (available in supermarket) full of nutrients.

The winter is a swine of a time for mixing hard running with good health. It can be done though.

Any more help or questions then just ask.  Great to see you getting the bug.  It sounds like your progressing nicely into it.  A good next step maybe to add in one run a week where you run for longer than normal (the 'long run' as runners call it). Makes you strong and the shorter runs then feel easy.

WELL IN!!!

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: October 4, 2008, 04:10:16 pm »
All right, there's something else that's been bothering me...

My resting heart rate is 85-95 bpm, and I think that's pretty high... Went to the doctor to have a physical before and he said I was fine. I'm a bit worried about it, because I'm in better shape (in terms of cardio) than most of my mates and their resting hrs are in the 70s, but they can barely do a mile. Whereas on my part I'm running 3 miles and I can do a 6 minute mile!

Offline Pym

• Main Stander
« Reply #296 on: October 4, 2008, 06:30:11 pm »
Running when your under the weather is a really weird one.  It depends on just how ill you are.

If you have a cold or head cold of some sort then running can clear nasal areas and be of use to you.  If its a full on bug though and your body feels crap then believe me its not worth it. 
You will feel great after you have run but then 2 hours later it will hit home and you'll feel crap.

The best runners in the world know what their resting heart rate is (take it when you wake up and are lying down).  Then if they get up one day and the heart rate is very high all of  a sudden it could mean they are unwell as the body is working hard to fight an illlness.

When you run day in day out and push your body to great lengths you learn so much about how your body works its untrue.  I was in heavy training last year and got ill but kept training and it just pro-longed the illness for 6 weeks.  I couldnt get rid of it.

When your ill, its amazing how much energy you expend in just fighting illness.

If your going to get into running as you seem so keen, i would reccomend taking daily vitamins or a drink called berrocca which is a tablet based drink (available in supermarket) full of nutrients.

The winter is a swine of a time for mixing hard running with good health. It can be done though.

Any more help or questions then just ask.  Great to see you getting the bug.  It sounds like your progressing nicely into it.  A good next step maybe to add in one run a week where you run for longer than normal (the 'long run' as runners call it). Makes you strong and the shorter runs then feel easy.

WELL IN!!!

Thanks for all the feedback mate... my current goal as soon as I get over this bug is to get my 10k time below 49mins... Beat my 5k time by a tiddly 8 seconds last week to get it down to 20min 20 seconds so hopefully will be going sub 20 soon....

I am tempted to try and squeeze in a longer run as I need to focus on stamina, just struggling a bit to fit in anymore with 4 runs a week and football on sunday plus work all week of course....

Regarding vitamins I'm on the multivits everyday and have been doubling up on the vit c to try and kick this bug....

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #297 on: October 8, 2008, 01:22:02 pm »
Just got my unsucssesful letter for the London Marathon.... Gutted....  :butt

I was unsuccessful too.  Very disappointed.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: October 8, 2008, 01:30:54 pm »
I was unsuccessful too.  Very disappointed.

I am now doing the Edinburgh Marathon instead....  A bit less profile but no Z list celebs in sight  :)

Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: October 8, 2008, 03:27:21 pm »
Thanks Elli :) Not got any races planned as of yet, but have set myself a couple of targets before training for marathon #6. Lake Garda was a confidence boost, now would like to lose a couple of stone over winter as well as run a sub-47:30 10k and a sub 22:00 5k. One of those will stand me in good stead, all three and I might start thinking marathon PB in 2009 :D

Are you signed up for any events?

Marathon #6, haha what a scary thought!

I did the Great North Run on Sunday - the culmination of this year's training, really, and I got the sub-2:30 I was aiming for (just!) so I'm very happy with that. As the quads start aching less and less, I'm considering doing it again increasingly seriously. I reckon I could get a lot nearer 2 hours with more consistent training (and now I know what to expect) but we'll see.

Got a couple of 10Ks lined up over the next couple of months, plus a shorter fun run with some friends. I just didn't want to finish the half marathon and stop, and let all the hard work fade away. Not in any mad rush to run another though!

Which marathon are you thinking of aiming for next year?

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #300 on: October 8, 2008, 03:33:11 pm »
I am now doing the Edinburgh Marathon instead....  A bit less profile but no Z list celebs in sight  :)

might attempt the Dublin one next year then.  I hear it's good craic.

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #301 on: October 8, 2008, 03:34:19 pm »

I did the Great North Run on Sunday - the culmination of this year's training, really, and I got the sub-2:30 I was aiming for (just!) so I'm very happy with that. As the quads start aching less and less, I'm considering doing it again increasingly seriously. I reckon I could get a lot nearer 2 hours with more consistent training (and now I know what to expect) but we'll see.

Got a couple of 10Ks lined up over the next couple of months, plus a shorter fun run with some friends. I just didn't want to finish the half marathon and stop, and let all the hard work fade away. Not in any mad rush to run another though!

Well done Elli.  I'd love to do it next year.  Have to up my running to more than 10ks.

Pheeny

« Reply #302 on: October 8, 2008, 03:44:45 pm »
As if his room wouldn't smell enough already!

I'm out of the cast now, but no running for me just yet. It'll come.
his room is neat & tidy.He's sharing with his Girlfriend...

Pheeny

« Reply #303 on: October 8, 2008, 03:49:09 pm »
so whats the best shoe for relieving sciatic nerve pain?

edit

It could also be Piriformis syndrome as the symptoms are very similar.

edit 2

I'd say it was defo Piriformis syndrome as the stretches the sports Doctor gave me point to that.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2008, 03:55:17 pm by Pheeny »

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 8, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »

:thumbup Well done Elli, superb effort to hit your target. How was walking down stairs the next day?! Like you say, you know what to expect now so next event you'll focus on other things besides just getting to the finish line and push on. 10ks are a great event for improving; always break my marathons into 10ks, just feels easier somehow, maybe just the simple psychology of not thinking 'marathon' too often!

Aiming to do Krakow next April. I'm 29 the week before, the missus (who's from Poland) turns 30 the week after so hopefully a few of us will go over and meet up with family there for a post-marathon/birthday celebration. And if all else fails and I don't make the startline will have a good party all the same :D

Offline Red Cofi Dre

• Kopite
« Reply #305 on: October 9, 2008, 09:30:37 am »

Good man :D I did that one in May and will be doing it again next year, can't wait!

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 12, 2008, 09:47:46 am »
Heya, just starting to get some fitness back after doing sweet FA for 3 months while travelling... I did 5km last night in just over 20min. Was hoping someone could tell me if this is reasonable/shite for someone in their mid 20s?

I've never done any competitive running, but I'd like to get to the point where I could run 15-20 once or twice a week.
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: October 12, 2008, 11:50:21 pm »
Heya, just starting to get some fitness back after doing sweet FA for 3 months while travelling... I did 5km last night in just over 20min. Was hoping someone could tell me if this is reasonable/shite for someone in their mid 20s?

That's about right for 5K, not bad for a first run back.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 13, 2008, 11:15:08 am »
Just spotted this thread.....nice one.

I'm 42 and started running a couple of years ago and I've really got the bug now.

After running by myself for most of this time, a couple of months ago I joined a club and started doing a few races.

The only problem is, I was running 25-30 miles a week and before I knew it that went up to 40-45 over a couple of week period..........now I'm struggling with shin splints and sore calfs and that's after 4 or 5 sessions of remedial massage and jogging only for 4 weeks.

Was running at a 6.10-6.20 pace regularly and managed a hilly 1/2 marathon in 89:22............calves are still hurting and after 6 weeks of doing the right thing I'm seriouly worried the previous form isn't going to come back ???

Do seriously love running though and miss running at a decent pace badly.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #309 on: October 13, 2008, 11:20:11 am »

Was running at a 6.10-6.20 pace regularly and managed a hilly 1/2 marathon in 89:22............calves are still hurting and after 6 weeks of doing the right thing I'm seriouly worried the previous form isn't going to come back ???

Do you mean 6.10-6.20 pace in races? As you should not really be doing that pace in training.

Im assuming you have gone down the line of having your footwear checked out by a specialist running shop??

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: October 13, 2008, 11:30:32 am »
Do you mean 6.10-6.20 pace in races? As you should not really be doing that pace in training.

Im assuming you have gone down the line of having your footwear checked out by a specialist running shop??

Yea, in races; I did a summer series (3.5miles; 6 races) and my last 10Km was at this pace. Not usually in training except when on a club run when we're striding out a mile during an 8 or 9 mile run; then I've been down to 5:45 pace. I usually run 7.1-7.30 during training and more like 8.0 on a long Sunday run.

Got decent shoes and only use them for 500miles...........think I'm just feeling sorry for myself and need to rest; trouble is as soon as I stop running properly, 5 or six pounds go back on and I start beating up on the wife (only joking, but it is a bit depressing) ;)

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #311 on: October 13, 2008, 11:40:01 am »
might attempt the Dublin one next year then.  I hear it's good craic.

I did the Dublin Marathon in 2007.  It was a good craic.  I'd avoid staying in the Temple bar area before the race though.  Its run on a Bank holiday monday (only an Irish one) so that place is very lively the night before the race.

Its not the flattest run (without having to many real hills though) but it quite well supported.

Offline FrancisTierney

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #312 on: October 13, 2008, 09:08:57 pm »
Just spotted this thread.....nice one.

I'm 42 and started running a couple of years ago and I've really got the bug now.

After running by myself for most of this time, a couple of months ago I joined a club and started doing a few races.

The only problem is, I was running 25-30 miles a week and before I knew it that went up to 40-45 over a couple of week period..........now I'm struggling with shin splints and sore calfs and that's after 4 or 5 sessions of remedial massage and jogging only for 4 weeks.

Was running at a 6.10-6.20 pace regularly and managed a hilly 1/2 marathon in 89:22............calves are still hurting and after 6 weeks of doing the right thing I'm seriouly worried the previous form isn't going to come back

Do seriously love running though and miss running at a decent pace badly.

Get the November edition of runners world. Page 88 and 89 have shin related exercises aswell as products you can buy to help relieve such pain.

I've never done any competitive running, but I'd like to get to the point where I could run 15-20 once or twice a week.

Well done mate. you will find that just by running more often you will hammer this time. 
Miles = Strength.

As ive posted in the past, i work for a running brand and meet all kinds of runners at varying levels.  Many people ask how they go about improving and the answer depends on how fit they already are.  I feel that progress comes with :

1) Firstly increasing mileage or the frequency in which you run. For example, someone running 3 times a week will improve massively if they run 4 or 5 times a week.  It sounds an ordeal to some, but you tend to find that mileage just becomes habit.

2) When you cant fit in any more running, implementing an interval based workout can be useful. For example (10 minute warm up, then 10 x 1 minute at a harder pace with 1 minute jog inbetween each effort, 10 minute warm down)  Gives you 40 minutes of running with the middle section incorporating what is known as 'Quality work'.

3) Introducing specific sessions : For example, if your running 10k's, try and find a 1k loop or an accuratley measured loop of any kind.  Then, RUN THE LOOP AT YOUR TARGET RACE PACE.  For example, someone targetting a 30 minute 10k would run 1k effort in 3 minutes.
For a 10k target, try and do 8-10k worth of these efforts.
In my opinion, the longer the race you are preparing for, the longer the efforts should be. Some would argue this point though.

4) Tempo runs : Find a suitable loop with limited traffic and run at a tempo pace.  This is thought to be at 80% of your maximum heart rate.  It should feel tough but controlled.

Mileage is the base for everything but as you progress you have to train smarter. Good luck.  Where did you go travelling? Did you find it impossible to fit in any running?

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: October 13, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »
Francis, with 3) do you mean run a km at, say, 4.30 (if aiming for 45:00 10k), then jog a recovery (how long?) before attempting the next km of effort?

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #314 on: October 13, 2008, 10:28:42 pm »
Francis, with 3) do you mean run a km at, say, 4.30 (if aiming for 45:00 10k), then jog a recovery (how long?) before attempting the next km of effort?

Ben

when i do 1k reps i do 90 seconds recovery in between.

You need to build this up though as quality is probably more benefitial than quantity - i do 10k sessions but i do a lot of distance racing. If you can do a 5k session thats a good standard effort. It certainly is better to do all the reps at oyur target time than doing it slower and doing more.

You can then do a variety of different 'intense' sessions depending on what you are targeting and then combine it with steady mileage which then becomes your recovery runs. If you want any more info send me a message.

Dave
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 10:31:28 pm by lfcdave »

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: October 13, 2008, 10:32:19 pm »
I've recently discovered fartlek - I love it as much as I love its name ;D

Really enjoying this thread lately too, it's good to see it so busy.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: October 13, 2008, 10:49:12 pm »
Ben

when i do 1k reps i do 90 seconds recovery in between.

You need to build this up though as quality is probably more benefitial than quantity - i do 10k sessions but i do a lot of distance racing. If you can do a 5k session thats a good standard effort. It certainly is better to do all the reps at oyur target time than doing it slower and doing more.

You can then do a variety of different 'intense' sessions depending on what you are targeting and then combine it with steady mileage which then becomes your recovery runs. If you want any more info send me a message.

Dave

Cheers Dave, that makes sense. Done interval training on rowers and the bike but not so much when running (just one min on, one min off x 5/6/7 etc). Fancy giving tougher sessions a go to help improve.

Was a cinder track near home I could have used but obviously not been past in a while because I did the other week and it's been torn up. Not very 2012 :(

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: October 14, 2008, 06:57:15 am »
Pyramids are tough; I've only done it once but felt like a quality session.

We ran 2; 3; 4; 5; 5; 4; 3; 2; 1 minutes hard with 2 minute recoveries. The two sets of 5 in the middle hurt ;).

This works for all levels of runners together; the faster runners turn round when the time stops and run back to the slower ones as part of thier recovery.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: October 14, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »
Is anyone else doing the London Marathon next April?  I have a charity place (Wellchild) and have got a couple of 10km events under my belt.  Am currently running 3 times a week (generally once or twice on the treadmill).

Not looking forward to the intense training from January!!!
Justice - 22 years overdue.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: October 14, 2008, 12:37:36 pm »
I got my rejection through but may well be able to get a place through the club I belong to......if I can get fit.