Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 809690 times)

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 23, 2008, 07:42:12 am »
30min for 8km woooooot!!!  Just in time for Christmas :D
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: December 23, 2008, 01:41:54 pm »
Just corrected your typo for you ;)

A sub 2:30?! Good grief, I hope you nail it fella. How many miles per week will you need to run to have a tilt at it?

Cheers  ;)
im planning my training with my coach at the moment and in my 16 weeks of training there will be probably ten of those at 120 miles a week. When I finish working out my training schedule I will put some info up on here for those that are interested. Start the training on the 4th January.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #362 on: December 23, 2008, 02:48:25 pm »
Got £130 worth of Vouchers for the local running shop for my birthday yesterday; first day it's open after Christmas I'm off to buy my Garmin 405........can't wait ;D

Feedback please! Been mulling over getting one (and happy birthday :wave)

Cheers  ;)
im planning my training with my coach at the moment and in my 16 weeks of training there will be probably ten of those at 120 miles a week. When I finish working out my training schedule I will put some info up on here for those that are interested. Start the training on the 4th January.

Wowser, fair play once again! Not that I am naive to think elite times don't come without an elite level of training but that is some graft. You deserve a PB! Be great to hear feedback on how you get on in 2009. And that goes for everyone else too, always find inspiration in this thread whether people are running, jogging, plodding or stumbling*!

*or falling down a rabbit hole like I did a few summers back.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: December 23, 2008, 10:04:07 pm »
Feedback please! Been mulling over getting one (and happy birthday :wave)

Local running shop wanted £260 with HRM while Amazon have got the package for £194; supposed to be delivered on Dec 31st......we'll see.

I started my 18 week schedule today (P&D up to 55 miles); aerobic 7 miles with 10x 100m strides. Think I did a bit more than that and threw in a couple of quick hills. Next run on Thursday is 9 miles steady pace.

Edit: received deliverly from Amazon this morning. That's smack on 24hrs; can't complain there.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 01:07:09 pm by Mr Boat »
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: January 12, 2009, 10:29:34 am »
Ok - 1 week of training down 15 to go.

Week 1

Sun.  AM - 18 miles - tired went out on the lash before knocking the beer on the head for the next 16 weeks.
Mon.  AM - 9 miles    PM - 6 miles
Tue.  AM - 6 miles     PM - 2 miles warm up. 12 x 800m with 60 seconds recovery ( All efforts around 2:20 ). 2 miles cool down
Wed.  AM - 6 miles     PM  - 9 miles
Thu.  AM - 6 miles     PM - 2 miles warm up. 3 x 2 mile tempo with 60 secs rec ( 10.20, 10.22, 10.30 ). 2 miles cool down.
Fri.   AM 6 miles     PM - 6 miles
Sat. Yorkshire Cross Country Champs. 3 miles warm up. 6.5 mile race 35.08 22nd. 2 miles cool down. Not bad considering I did not ease down for this race at all and that Im rubbish at xcountry.

Total miles  103.5

Week 2 is easier as racing half marathon on sunday.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:37:20 am by lfcdave »

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: January 12, 2009, 11:34:27 am »
You're flying........Thursday sounded tough.......short recoveries with bloody fast splits.

I'm following my schedule but it's nowhere near yours; I only did 40 this week but I'm still gradually building from nothing a couple of months ago. Did a hilly 10 mile race yesterday with 2 for warmup and 2 for warm down; my fitness is nowhere near good enough yet but I'll get there if the calfs hold out.

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2009, 09:31:42 am »
Well done Bobby_D - You did brilliantly for your first marathon!!!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2009, 10:36:28 pm »
FLM training came to a grinding halt...........raced 10 miles on Sunday (hilly), 10.5 miles with 6x5 minute intervals on Tuesday; Weds morning swelling on lower tibia almost felt like a bruise. I've had it checked out and I've either strained the tendon by over stretching or worse case I've got a stress fracture. If the swelling not going down in another day I'm off to the docs to get sorted for an X-ray........fingers crossed right now!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2009, 11:03:27 pm »
Ouch.  fingers crossed for you mate!

Thanks mate. Well done in Florida; looked pretty hot. There's a lad in our club just ran the NY in 2:35 (fastest Brit)...not bad.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: January 16, 2009, 10:48:39 am »
Discovered the joys of running home from work last night :thumbup

It took a bit of planning, and was my first ever time running with a rucksack, but I enjoyed it and will be doing it again. Just Thursdays to start with, building up to running back on other days from other offices which are further away. The other hassle is it has to be a day I don't need my car for community visits etc, which is rare, but I'll stick with it.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: January 16, 2009, 11:10:29 am »
FLM training came to a grinding halt...........raced 10 miles on Sunday (hilly), 10.5 miles with 6x5 minute intervals on Tuesday; Weds morning swelling on lower tibia almost felt like a bruise. I've had it checked out and I've either strained the tendon by over stretching or worse case I've got a stress fracture. If the swelling not going down in another day I'm off to the docs to get sorted for an X-ray........fingers crossed right now!

Hi mate, I feel for you.  I am doing the FLM but developed a case of runners knee after my long run on Sunday.  Didn't do any running until last night (an easy 4 miles on the treadmill to test it) and I could feel it while running but it was fine when I stopped (and no pain today).

Think I will see a physio as a precaution...fingers crossed for you.
Justice - 22 years overdue.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: January 18, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »
Week 2

Sun.  AM - 10 miles - legs a bit done in after saturdays race.
Mon.  AM - 9 miles    PM - 6 miles
Tue.  AM - 6 miles     PM - 2 miles warm up. 5 sets of ( 400m steep uphill, 100m steady, 200m fast slight downhill, 200m steady, 400m slight uphill, 300m steady). 2 miles cool down
Wed.  AM - 6 miles     PM  - 9 miles
Thu.  AM - 6 miles     PM - 2 miles warm up. 10 x 500m with 200m recovery ( all around1.26/1.27 ). 2 miles cool down.
Fri.   AM 6 miles     PM - 6 miles
Sat.    AM 5 miles.

Total 86 miles

Week 3

Sun.   Brass Monkey Half Marathon. 2 miles warm up. 13.1 miles race. 2 miles cool down. Set a new PB of 70.14 knocking 1.35 off previous best time finishing 3rd. Felt strong and a good confidence boost.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: January 18, 2009, 07:18:37 pm »
Woo, well done on the 3rd place in the Brass Monkey. I've heard it's meant to be a pretty tough half?

Not looking good for races this year - I seem to be away, or meant to be at weddings, when the ones I want to run are on. D'oh. First step is to get some proper training routine back though (albeit nowhere near as mad as yours Dave ;))

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: January 19, 2009, 07:00:57 am »
Good news.....got an x-ray last night and it looks like I've just strained the tendon, so no stress fracture with any luck; may be up and running in a week (of sorts).

I'll make a decision on my FLM entry next week now my schedule's been messed up.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: January 19, 2009, 10:11:50 am »
Good news.....got an x-ray last night and it looks like I've just strained the tendon, so no stress fracture with any luck; may be up and running in a week (of sorts).

I'll make a decision on my FLM entry next week now my schedule's been messed up.

If you can get running within a week I would say you still have plenty of time to get back into it. Its 14 weeks away yesterday so if you can get 12 weeks of solid training that should be good.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: January 19, 2009, 11:04:01 am »
If you can get running within a week I would say you still have plenty of time to get back into it. Its 14 weeks away yesterday so if you can get 12 weeks of solid training that should be good.

That's what I'm thinking......I'm following an 18 week schedule but there is an option of a 12 week schedule in the same guide; I could just pick up on that one and maybe revise my target time.

Was feeling pretty pissed off as my legs were feeling stronger than they have for ages having shaken off the shin splints. This does sound like it was self inflickted by doing  a particular stretch. My sports masseur said I should avoid it in future.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:15 am »
Excellent piece of planning here from Newcastle City Council and the MetroRadio Arena.

The Blaydon Race is planned, as always, for June 9th (it always happens on this date, no matter what day of the week, because it follows the song about the horse races in Blaydon, which opens "I went to Blaydon Races, t'was on the Ninth of June"). To be a Geordie and not know this song is quite a rare feat.

So what have they done? At the Arena, which is very close to the route of the race in its first mile, there is going to be... a Boyzone concert. 5000 people coming into the city for that, mostly in cars. 4000 people running out of the city along closed roads. About 9000 people on Railway Street at about the same time, potentially.

Brilliant ;D

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:17 pm »
Excellent piece of planning here from Newcastle City Council and the MetroRadio Arena.

The Blaydon Race is planned, as always, for June 9th (it always happens on this date, no matter what day of the week, because it follows the song about the horse races in Blaydon, which opens "I went to Blaydon Races, t'was on the Ninth of June"). To be a Geordie and not know this song is quite a rare feat.

So what have they done? At the Arena, which is very close to the route of the race in its first mile, there is going to be... a Boyzone concert. 5000 people coming into the city for that, mostly in cars. 4000 people running out of the city along closed roads. About 9000 people on Railway Street at about the same time, potentially.

Brilliant ;D

Surely there will be a fair few people running away from the Boyzone concert!

BTW, anyone on here doing FLM?  I am doing my first marathon and ran my first half last weekend.  Hoping for about 3:15-3:30 in the FLM...

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 20, 2009, 02:53:08 pm »
Surely there will be a fair few people running away from the Boyzone concert!

BTW, anyone on here doing FLM?  I am doing my first marathon and ran my first half last weekend.  Hoping for about 3:15-3:30 in the FLM...

It'll be my first marathon; I'll be looking for something similar to yourself. I did my first 1/2 marathon last August in just under my target of 1:30.......had loads of injury problems since then and seem to be struggling to get my pace back; I used to cruise along nicely at 6:50 m/m ish but I'm struggling with 7:15 over 14 miles now.......fingers crossed anyway.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:02 pm »
It'll be my first marathon; I'll be looking for something similar to yourself. I did my first 1/2 marathon last August in just under my target of 1:30.......had loads of injury problems since then and seem to be struggling to get my pace back; I used to cruise along nicely at 6:50 m/m ish but I'm struggling with 7:15 over 14 miles now.......fingers crossed anyway.

Nice one mate.  I know what you mean about the injury, I developed runners knee but thankfully a change in trainers sorted that.  For the past couple of weeks I have had a bit of foot pain (plantar fasciitis) but hopefully if I am careful and stretch I should get through ok.  I am running for Wellchild, did you get a ballot place?

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2009, 12:00:28 am »
No mate, got rejected in the ballot but managed to get given a club place.

Anyway; best of luck and let's see how we get on.........I'll be glad to get to the start line; nice easy 6 mile recovery inc. 6 x 100m strides tomorrow with 15m including 12 @ MP on Sunday........love it!

Offline Chamby

• Anny Roader
    • WheelHouse Tracks
« Reply #381 on: February 21, 2009, 12:10:18 am »
is collegiate running big in the UK, i run collegiately over here in the states, just wondering?
www.WheelHouseTracks.com

Reds
"and if it ends in a dead heat, they will settle it through a bout of Greco-Roman wrestling, Benitez versus Ferguson..."

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: February 21, 2009, 11:35:06 am »
is collegiate running big in the UK, i run collegiately over here in the states, just wondering?

Not sure mate; probably. I'm 43 so college, if I'd gone would have been a long time past. ;)

Offline Chamby

• Anny Roader
    • WheelHouse Tracks
« Reply #383 on: February 21, 2009, 09:53:14 pm »
Not sure mate; probably. I'm 43 so college, if I'd gone would have been a long time past. ;)
haha thanks anyway... sounds like a lot of you have been doing high mileage, I love it, that feeling of always being tired and your knees and ankles cracking, and eating a like a furnace, just finished off a 92 mile week myself prepping for the outdoor/spring track season.
www.WheelHouseTracks.com

Reds
"and if it ends in a dead heat, they will settle it through a bout of Greco-Roman wrestling, Benitez versus Ferguson..."

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: February 21, 2009, 11:28:34 pm »
92 miles; phew........fair play to you. It is a great feeling though; if I were 10 years younger I'd probably be doing the same. I didn't start running until 3 years ago and really wish I'd done a bit in my 30s. Like you say though; that feeling you get when your legs feel like lead and you're still hanging on to your pace; just try explaining it to someone who doesn't run; you've goy to be there ;)

Offline Chamby

• Anny Roader
    • WheelHouse Tracks
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2009, 11:43:23 pm »
92 miles; phew........fair play to you. It is a great feeling though; if I were 10 years younger I'd probably be doing the same. I didn't start running until 3 years ago and really wish I'd done a bit in my 30s. Like you say though; that feeling you get when your legs feel like lead and you're still hanging on to your pace; just try explaining it to someone who doesn't run; you've goy to be there ;)

Give it a few more years and you will be hitting weeks like that, I have a tad bit of an edge you, being young and already in my 9th year of competitive running, so I have years and years of base mileage haha
www.WheelHouseTracks.com

Reds

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: March 5, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »
No mate, got rejected in the ballot but managed to get given a club place.

Anyway; best of luck and let's see how we get on.........I'll be glad to get to the start line; nice easy 6 mile recovery inc. 6 x 100m strides tomorrow with 15m including 12 @ MP on Sunday........love it!

How is the training going mate?  I have had a pretty bad case of sinusitis this week so no training since Monday (and can't see me making the half marathon I was planning on running on Sunday).  Just over 7 weeks to go mate!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: March 5, 2009, 06:22:44 pm »
How is the training going mate?  I have had a pretty bad case of sinusitis this week so no training since Monday (and can't see me making the half marathon I was planning on running on Sunday).  Just over 7 weeks to go mate!

I ran my first 20 mile race on Sunday (Mad March Hare 20 In Christchurch) and was quite happy with my pace throughout; finished up in 2:22:18, that's just a little over 7 m/m. I do feel my fitness is improving allbeit with a slight niggle in my left upper calf which hasn't really got any worse in the last 3 weeks.

I did a 6 mile recovery on Tuesday and 12 last night including 7 @ 6: 55 pace so I think I'm getting there.

Think my FLM target should be somewhere around 3:15 ish, hopefully under.

Hope you're feeling better by the weekend for your 1/2; it's crap running when you're not well. I had a bit of a chest for 3 weeks; it's only just cleared last week.

Best of luck anyway.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: March 5, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »
I ran my first 20 mile race on Sunday (Mad March Hare 20 In Christchurch) and was quite happy with my pace throughout; finished up in 2:22:18, that's just a little over 7 m/m. I do feel my fitness is improving allbeit with a slight niggle in my left upper calf which hasn't really got any worse in the last 3 weeks.

I did a 6 mile recovery on Tuesday and 12 last night including 7 @ 6: 55 pace so I think I'm getting there.

Think my FLM target should be somewhere around 3:15 ish, hopefully under.

Hope you're feeling better by the weekend for your 1/2; it's crap running when you're not well. I had a bit of a chest for 3 weeks; it's only just cleared last week.

Best of luck anyway.

Nice work, it sounds like you are going to be bang on the money with a 20 mile race under your belt.  I am still building up to that (have had a couple of 16 mile training runs) and the reason for wanting to do the half this weekend was to get under the 1:30 mark (did a hilly one a couple of weeks ago in 1:32).  I will be aiming for around 3:15 so I might be following you around London!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: March 5, 2009, 10:59:43 pm »
Nice work, it sounds like you are going to be bang on the money with a 20 mile race under your belt.  I am still building up to that (have had a couple of 16 mile training runs) and the reason for wanting to do the half this weekend was to get under the 1:30 mark (did a hilly one a couple of weeks ago in 1:32).  I will be aiming for around 3:15 so I might be following you around London!

Sounds good to me; I'm not sure where I'll be starting from but I'll let you know. I'll be the one in the gorilla suit ;)

The 20 was my longest run so far. Up until then I'd done a couple of 17 milers over the last month and I'm probably doing 20 on Sunday at a more gereral aerobic pace than the last one.

I'd like to think I could keep up the 7 m/m pace for the marathon but I was pretty well done for my last mile in the last race.
Just hope the old calves hold out.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: March 5, 2009, 11:20:00 pm »

Well played :)

I'm doing a Mad March Hare in about 10 days, but it's only a 6.

K.

;D

I've got Runner's Knee though so I'm trying to be nice to it! Hehe I love this thread but it does make me feel very slow and inadequate. A bit like when I got passed twice by the same bloke in the Dene the other week... Ah well!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: March 6, 2009, 08:56:26 am »
Hehe I love this thread but it does make me feel very slow and inadequate. A bit like when I got passed twice by the same bloke in the Dene the other week... Ah well!

It still feels great to run and be a part of it all though. After all; most of us are never going to win a race, but there are races within races. You start to recognise the runners finishing just in front of you and they become your targets. And I'm always racing against myself.

Just love it; I'm off to do 12 today.......... ;D

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: March 6, 2009, 09:30:07 am »
Sounds good to me; I'm not sure where I'll be starting from but I'll let you know. I'll be the one in the gorilla suit ;)

The 20 was my longest run so far. Up until then I'd done a couple of 17 milers over the last month and I'm probably doing 20 on Sunday at a more gereral aerobic pace than the last one.

I'd like to think I could keep up the 7 m/m pace for the marathon but I was pretty well done for my last mile in the last race.
Just hope the old calves hold out.

I'll be the one in the pink Wellchild running vest with 'Simon' on.  Think maybe a gorilla suit would be better in some ways!

I love the feeling of feeling strong and overtaking a few people who have gone off too fast, etc.  Unfortunately in my last half marathon that was happening to me - the first 7 miles were a breeze (45 mins) but the last 5-6 felt like I was running backwards and got overtaken by about 25 people (which is a demoralising vicious circle).

One thing which will probably help a lot of us with the FLM is the fact that it is by all accounts a slow first couple of miles.  Hopefully that will ensure that you can't go off too fast and in a 26 mile distance a few slow miles can be made up easily (certainly by not blowing up in the last 6!).

Enjoy your 12 today, I think I will give the half on Sunday a miss and attempt a gentle 18 (8 min/mile).

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #393 on: March 6, 2009, 09:36:40 am »
I've got my first 10K of the year on Sunday.  Haven't done one since the trauma that was the Mersey Tunnel run last May.  Haven't being running that distance normally - do 3 and 4 miles runs so hopefully I'll be fine. 

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: March 6, 2009, 09:40:33 am »
I've got my first 10K of the year on Sunday.  Haven't done one since the trauma that was the Mersey Tunnel run last May.  Haven't being running that distance normally - do 3 and 4 miles runs so hopefully I'll be fine. 

Think of it in miles - just over 6 miles is only a couple more than the 4 you are used to.  Good luck and enjoy it!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: March 6, 2009, 11:26:07 am »
I'll be the one in the pink Wellchild running vest with 'Simon' on. 

I'll also have Simon on my vest which will have Bournemouth AC on the front (yellow with a single verticle blue stripe).

I'm not with a charity but I'm going to our local cancer hospice (Forest Holme) this week to see if they don't mind me picking up a few quid for them.

Voni:   Enjoy your 10km. Get warmed up over the first 5km and then pace off of someone you're comfortable running with for the last 5 and save some for a sprint finish :)

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: March 15, 2009, 05:50:02 pm »
I'm doing a Mad March Hare in about 10 days, but it's only a 6.

K.

;D

This was this morning - absolutely hilarious. 3 lads lost their shoes simultaneously in the first really muddy patch. Another bloke was coming back to retrieve his left shoe as I got to him and physically couldn't get it out of the mud ;D Happily my (previously) lovely white trainers were tightly tied - and they're a much better colour now!

Pretty happy as my winter training has been about 10 mins a mile on tarmac paths through a park, and I did today's very hilly, very, very, VERY muddy 3.7 miles in about 38 mins this morning. Not bad. Especially with all the extra weight attached to my feet in mud form!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: March 15, 2009, 10:17:21 pm »
Nice one Elli.......sounds like the race lived up to it's 'Mad' title anyway. Must have been like running in wellies ;D

Offline "Nookie".

• Boooooooooooooooooo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: March 15, 2009, 10:46:42 pm »
I wanna start doing these..I'm pretty fit, never stop running during any sport, and reckon I can do a 10k without much training. Looking for one pretty soon, but I'm in Leeds. Anyone know of any close to me? I was looking at the Great Yorkshire Run, but ideally, it would be much sooner than the 6th of September.
FLOORING SPECIALIST

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: March 16, 2009, 09:37:40 am »
Nice one Elli.......sounds like the race lived up to it's 'Mad' title anyway. Must have been like running in wellies ;D

How is the training going Mr Boat?  I had my first 20 mile training run on Saturday (after the game!) which was really tough (especially after missing a week with a virus) - I must admit that I am looking forward to tapering!!!