Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 290514 times)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #3600 on: July 19, 2020, 09:46:33 pm »
Played in a stable ford today

Got 39!points and blobbed on 2 holes, an 8 and  double lol
Couldn’t hit and iron off the deck but got the ball in the hole and shot 79. Also go 2 closest to the holes. Made some money 👍

V good score and money in the pocket

Great Sunday’s work!

I’m playing Tuesday at Hesketh. Never played it before. Looking forward to it

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3601 on: July 21, 2020, 07:35:34 pm »
Golf. Why do we put ourselves through it?!

Front nine personal best of 37 shots. Two over. Contained an eagle and worked out at 23 stableford points

Back nine I took 50!!! Didn’t even feel like I played badly.

Finished on 87 for 35 points

Would have taken that at the start without a doubt but talk about a game of two halves!!

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3602 on: July 21, 2020, 10:30:58 pm »
Golf. Why do we put ourselves through it?!

Front nine personal best of 37 shots. Two over. Contained an eagle and worked out at 23 stableford points

Back nine I took 50!!! Didn’t even feel like I played badly.

Finished on 87 for 35 points

Would have taken that at the start without a doubt but talk about a game of two halves!!

Because your mind is thinking, this will be my best round ever and I just need to carry on doing this

Whereas pros play one hole at a time
An old pro used to say, play six 3 holes per round

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3603 on: July 22, 2020, 02:55:21 pm »
Youre spot on. Even Though you consciously avoid thinking about it, by the very nature you’re thinking about it

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3604 on: July 24, 2020, 11:17:20 am »
I try to avoid discussing scores after 9 as there is no point when I know there is the potential for doubles and worse in every hole. No harm in saying so far so good and lets keep it going (hopefully, fingers crossed lol). I always try and make sure I say good shot when the mate hits one as its great to hear the same from him.

Playing nearly too much lately as was getting sore & the game was suffering so decided to take a few days off until the weekend. Hoping to play the Killarney GC next week with a mate of 30 years and should be a great time catching up with a good friend on a gorgeous course
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3605 on: July 24, 2020, 01:07:18 pm »
That course looks amazing. Played a few nice courses but think they’d struggle to beat that for views

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3606 on: July 24, 2020, 01:20:47 pm »
Playing this weekend in a big friendly comp. basically like a Ryder cup with 2 teams of 16. We play 3 times, which will fuck my back 😂

Anyhow, on Saturday a scramble in the morning, a foursomes I the afternoon and on Sunday a singles
My handicap has just gone up to 10, so I’ll be in the second flight for picks. Since I buggered my back all my low 70’s have gone from my card 😉

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3607 on: July 27, 2020, 10:15:20 am »
Playing this weekend in a big friendly comp. basically like a Ryder cup with 2 teams of 16. We play 3 times, which will fuck my back 😂

Anyhow, on Saturday a scramble in the morning, a foursomes I the afternoon and on Sunday a singles
My handicap has just gone up to 10, so I’ll be in the second flight for picks. Since I buggered my back all my low 70’s have gone from my card 😉

Ryder cup like matches are always fun and should have more of those if possible. Just as long as it does not get too serious ;) Thought you were a 6 or so hcp before the back injury so surprised you gone up to 10 already. No chances of that happening here in Ireland as think it goes up .1 with every comp card handed in. Scored 33 points this weekend with four scratches and 2 or 3 single pointers. Some day I might shoot my handicap haha
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3608 on: July 27, 2020, 02:08:18 pm »
Ryder cup like matches are always fun and should have more of those if possible. Just as long as it does not get too serious ;) Thought you were a 6 or so hcp before the back injury so surprised you gone up to 10 already. No chances of that happening here in Ireland as think it goes up .1 with every comp card handed in. Scored 33 points this weekend with four scratches and 2 or 3 single pointers. Some day I might shoot my handicap haha

Yeah up to 10
Got beat in the scramble by 2 guys that didn’t miss a putt inside 30feet.
Was astonishing to be honest. We didn’t make a putt

We won our foursomes, I dropped 2 shots in 14 holes and we won 5 and 4

Sunday was a mare, back was obviously not happy and I lost 3n2. Shit happens. Off the tee was shocking and so was wedge play.
Only my putting kept me in it. I had 3 holes where I played like I should and got 3 birdies. One of which was a 50foot birdie putt on the stroke index 1 hole where I gave a shot. Was 2 up then lost the next 4 to shocking play by me. Went bogey, double,bogey, double.

Great fun but feeling it this morning. Was a great laugh to be honest. Singles match was against a friend and even he said. He had to play fantastic and I had to play bad for a win.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3609 on: July 27, 2020, 03:47:09 pm »

The World Handicap System is due to come into play in the UK and Ireland towards the end of this year, although I don't know if that has been affected by coronavirus. The way handicaps are worked out will be more in line with the current USGA system.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3610 on: July 28, 2020, 02:55:59 pm »

So at the beginning of this year my handicap index was 4.5 which equates to a 6 at our course.
I had 69 to 85 posted and most were between 74-79

Most of those have gone to be replaced with this years debacle due to the back. Can’t get through the ball so a lot of shots go right. And when I think I’m getting through the ball all the lads say that’s a baseball swing and it goes left 😂. So obviously by brain is trying to protect my back.

On Saturday I hardly hit a bad shot, just couldn’t putt well enough. Everything skimmed the hole
Sunday couldn’t get through the ball, but holed everything

It is was it is 🤷‍♂️

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3611 on: July 29, 2020, 10:21:57 am »
Thanks lads as was not sure how the hcp system works there as had heard 10 best scores out of the last 20 posted. Does make it easier to fudge the numbers for the lads that play every day as I hate to play a 10 hcp that was 6 only a month ago haha.

Had a unusual round of golf yesterday as a great front 9 with 6 pars, one over after 6 which was followed with two doubles and three bogeys to open the back 9. Brilliant haha but overall shot one of my best rounds of the year with a 83. Crazy thing is I know I can play better so fingers crossed I can crack the 80 by years end.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3612 on: July 29, 2020, 04:25:25 pm »
Booked to play hillside next week although weather looking bleak

Looking forward to the challenge. Just hope I don’t have a nightmare

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3613 on: July 31, 2020, 11:44:56 am »
Ive got a match this avvy but hadn't picked up a club all week.

Popped to the range last night with a 56/8/6 iron and my driver. Irons all fine, no worries, although drawing it a tadge more than usual.

Driver -  dear god in heaven. I never ht one past 180, and that was almost a Sally Gunnell. Everything else was either a massive low pull, or a really weak slap down the middle. I was determined to stay until I sorted it, or at least found out what was triggering it. as its never good leave on a shite shot -   but after 20 shite shots I just gave up. Gave the remainder of my balls to the kid in the next bay.

Looking forward to getting off the first today.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3614 on: August 1, 2020, 05:04:14 pm »
Went for a lesson yesterday as this has been driving me insane.
Within me hitting 5 balls, yeah I know what your problem is. You aren’t clearing your left hip so there’s nowhere to go and are just digging and or blocking right.

Fucks sake I knew I was not getting through the ball but didn’t know why.
At the end, that’s the guy I know. He says back to low digits soon. Then clear your bloody hips. As he’s also british I got the “why didn’t you come see me before” knobhead 😂

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3615 on: August 4, 2020, 10:09:27 am »
Never had a lesson in my life which basically means I am an idiot as a decent teaching pro surely would tweak anyone's game and improve their overall scores. Just watching Youtube golfing tips has made me change a couple of things over the years and def notice an improvement. Playing with better golfers again usually wears off on you although sometimes I can bring them to my level too ;)

Played Castlematyr and Killarney last week and enjoyed both outings for different reasons. Castlematyr greens were in perfect condition and so was the weather so shot well as I mentioned in my last post. Probably shot low 90s at Killarney, 30 points though (mate in charge was just keeping stableford score so we picked up when out of the hole pretty much) which was decent considering the 30 mph winds where 150 yard shots were played as if they were 175. Was hitting some lovely shots but unless you played 20 plus yards left or right of target you had no hope and its hard to do that unless you regularly play in strong wind. I dont so struggled somewhat. Also question some of their indexing as their #18 hcp hole is a 185 yard par 3 and #17 was a par 5 which on the day took two solid hits to get within a wedge of. 
« Last Edit: August 4, 2020, 10:11:41 am by fowlermagic »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3616 on: August 5, 2020, 07:28:48 pm »
Got 34 points playing off 14 at hillside

What a golf course. The back nine is jaw dropping. Can’t wait to play there again.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3617 on: August 6, 2020, 12:18:46 pm »

What a golf course. The back nine is jaw dropping. Can’t wait to play there again.

From what I have seen on the old web its a great course as a must play if you are in the area for a few days golf. A old buddy and myself was hoping to play some of the Open courses sometime and this def would be a nice addition to the trip. Must be a pretty difficult course so you played well to get 34 points.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3618 on: August 6, 2020, 04:11:49 pm »

Lucky man. It’s supposed to be one of the best courses in the UK
There was a program a while back about the north west Gold Coast of golf courses. All getable by train back in the day. People would hop on the train and go play a number of courses. Would be great if a golf tour operator did that. Get an old Black Five to go up and down from Lytham St.Annes all the way to Liverpool. Every day stop off to play a course. I bet you’d get hundreds to sign up.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3619 on: August 6, 2020, 04:45:49 pm »
There was a program a while back about the north west Gold Coast of golf courses. All getable by train back in the day. People would hop on the train and go play a number of courses. Would be great if a golf tour operator did that. Get an old Black Five to go up and down from Lytham St.Annes all the way to Liverpool. Every day stop off to play a course. I bet you’d get hundreds to sign up.

Sounds good in its day but with the logistics would not be worth the hassle as all the courses are within an hour drives of your hotel. I dont see too many lads getting a taxi to the train station with a golf bag in hand, dealing with it getting on a train and then a taxi from the next stop to the golf course. I did that as a young fella in NY to play golf but it was a pain lol.

Now if you want trains involve in your golf trip book something like this
 https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/scotland/belmond-royal-scotsman/search-results and they will be glad to add golf to your activities at an additional price. Hope you have 5k to spare for a 4 night trip :p

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: August 6, 2020, 06:06:30 pm »
Sounds good in its day but with the logistics would not be worth the hassle as all the courses are within an hour drives of your hotel. I dont see too many lads getting a taxi to the train station with a golf bag in hand, dealing with it getting on a train and then a taxi from the next stop to the golf course. I did that as a young fella in NY to play golf but it was a pain lol.

Now if you want trains involve in your golf trip book something like this
 https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/scotland/belmond-royal-scotsman/search-results and they will be glad to add golf to your activities at an additional price. Hope you have 5k to spare for a 4 night trip :p

You’d find a few that would do it. Americans would pay big money
That looks immense above. It would cost flights from US plus all the other bits. Worth a look. Coming back next year, would be an immense 25th wedding present

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3621 on: August 6, 2020, 06:30:49 pm »
From what I have seen on the old web its a great course as a must play if you are in the area for a few days golf. A old buddy and myself was hoping to play some of the Open courses sometime and this def would be a nice addition to the trip. Must be a pretty difficult course so you played well to get 34 points.

Was superb. Right next to Birkdale and Southport & Ainsdale

The whole layout was first class.

I was a bit feast or famine to be honest. I didn’t score on four holes so 34 points over 14 holes was pleasing

The only thing that would have topped it off would have been to bump into the King who of course Is a member. No such luck though

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3622 on: August 6, 2020, 06:33:31 pm »
There was a program a while back about the north west Gold Coast of golf courses. All getable by train back in the day.

Criminal I have played very few in area given live only 35 minutes away

Will certainly try and get some more boxed off

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3623 on: August 7, 2020, 02:45:40 am »

I'd suggest the following on The Fylde Coast

Fairhaven (only problem - members are Royal Lytham rejects - as in chip on shoulders)
St Annes Old Links - good course
Royal Lytham - a very underrated golf course - the greens and bunkers are a sight to behold. Plus Seve won twice there - I love the place.

Then you have all the Formby Hillside Roral Birkdale/Liverpool and a few others

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3624 on: August 7, 2020, 10:05:39 am »
You’d find a few that would do it. Americans would pay big money
That looks immense above. It would cost flights from US plus all the other bits. Worth a look. Coming back next year, would be an immense 25th wedding present

I wont mention the company I worked with but they use to charter the Royal Scotsman and do some great golf trips around Scotland. Never had the pleasure of seeing the train myself but looked gorgeous and definitely old school charm about it which some people love. I still would not spend 7k on a room that you could not swing a cat in though ;)

I'd suggest the following on The Fylde Coast

Fairhaven (only problem - members are Royal Lytham rejects - as in chip on shoulders)
St Annes Old Links - good course
Royal Lytham - a very underrated golf course - the greens and bunkers are a sight to behold. Plus Seve won twice there - I love the place.

Then you have all the Formby Hillside Roral Birkdale/Liverpool and a few others

You should def get to a couple of these and this is the year as I believe many will offer reduced rates as they are hurting. Saw a deal last week where you can play the Old Head & Cork GC in Ireland and stay two nights at the Old Head (pretty sweet rooms) for a rate that is less than the green fees they were charging last year for the Old Head. That is nuts!!!! Sorry nuts lol
« Last Edit: August 7, 2020, 10:11:04 am by fowlermagic »

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3625 on: August 8, 2020, 05:31:22 pm »
Club medal today. Played as bad as I have since the restart with a net 77.

Two over after 5 with 2 hard holes out the way. par 4 with a good drive and 104 to pin. Into bunker, 1 foot from lip on downslope, straight across green into other bunker, 1 foot from downslope. ended with a 6 from 100 yards out. Fewmin. let it go - no chance.

Next hole 185 par 3 which I birdied earlier in the week. Put it in the burn 130m away. popped the drop onto the green 15 feet away and 4 putted. To be honest if the flag hadnt been in I'd have still been there now trying to smash it in. Gave up a bit after that, but actually just chilled and disnt carry on my cob on for the rest of the round.

Didnt play any big scores after that, but it was a case of good  drive, poor second. Good drive and second, poor putting/chipping.  4 3 putts today from easy 2 putt range. plus a 4 putt.

It certainly didnt help I had 2 of the most boring people I've ever played golf with. It was a struggle. Although I'm sure they'll speak highly of me.

The guy in my group is currently leading (HC 13) and you know its gonna be his day when his Sally'd it through 3 bunkers. Lost his ball, looking in the wrong place, and I found it - TWICE. And both times he had a good lie and a clear route out.

Sometimes I think the golf gods just say - watch me wind this lad up today. Gotta be someone elses turn tomorrow :-)

Playing at Kings Acre Loanhead tomorrow so will be a nice break from my course. Then a Tex scramble next weekend.

Weathers boss so having a few bevviess in the garden.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2020, 05:33:03 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3626 on: August 8, 2020, 07:40:00 pm »
40 points today. Shot 82. Delighted. Handicap down now so playing off 13 next time out

Such a satisfying game at times

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3627 on: August 9, 2020, 07:14:21 pm »
37 points today with a 10 and 4 doubles
Lots of birdies though.

Hahaha a 10, gave up after the 5th shot and was still 350yards away from the hole

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3628 on: August 9, 2020, 09:24:26 pm »
37 points today with a 10 and 4 doubles
Lots of birdies though.

Hahaha a 10, gave up after the 5th shot and was still 350yards away from the hole

The beauty of stableford but a Ten hurts! 37 points is excellent

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3629 on: August 9, 2020, 09:36:39 pm »
The beauty of stableford but a Ten hurts! 37 points is excellent

I cant post a 10 due to the handicap system. Can only post a double
It was comical the 10. 2 feet from OB. Next shot hit a tree which then goes OB hits a house comes back to me still OB 😂

Hit the same tree again and it went back towards the tee 50 yards behind another tree. Picked it up and gave myself a 10 on a par 5 but recorded a double FLMAO

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3630 on: August 9, 2020, 09:38:29 pm »
Played last 2 days and couldn’t hit a driver off the tee after the lesson
Frustrating but still made 6birdies over the weekend. So I did some things ok

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3631 on: August 9, 2020, 09:50:53 pm »
I cant post a 10 due to the handicap system. Can only post a double
It was comical the 10. 2 feet from OB. Next shot hit a tree which then goes OB hits a house comes back to me still OB 😂

Hit the same tree again and it went back towards the tee 50 yards behind another tree. Picked it up and gave myself a 10 on a par 5 but recorded a double FLMAO

Yes that’s what I mean a ten doesn’t matter. Once you can’t score a point it’s done

You get a lot of birdies

I’ve never had a round with more than two!

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3632 on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:37 am »
Must be nice to offset a 10 with a birdie ;) Just shows that no matter what happens in one or two holes the stableford format makes the game a lot more interesting. Pity some lads like a couple of playing partners yesterday still insisted to finish out every hole which led to a 4 hour 30 min round on a course I can easily play in around 3 hours with the two brothers. Competition is a little different I know but I dont understand if you are out of the hole why follow on with another two duffs and a three putt? Again and again as one of the lads who I never played with before had several snowmen and worse. I was trying to be nice by saying that putt for a 8 was good as all he could do was put a scratch on his card anyway. I gave up saying its good after the 10th hole as knew he wanted to finish out.

Ideally there should be signage after every 3 holes stating you should be 40 minutes, 1 hour 20 mins etc into your round otherwise pick up the pace.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3633 on: August 16, 2020, 10:30:00 am »
Texas scramble day today. Went and practiced with 2 of the other lads on Friday and we scored a gross 7 under, with a lot of wasted 100 and below yard shots in.

Same 3 went out yesterday and played stableford and I shot a 78, 8 under my HC which was nice.

Will obviously play shite today then.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3634 on: August 17, 2020, 06:55:42 pm »
Proper shite atm
Can’t seem to shake the bad back. Obviously the brain is saying no and the rest of me is saying yes
Played off the tips on Sunday, struggled to 32 points, really struggled with all aspects. Army golf

Best 2 holes were the first and last

Last hole is a par 5 off the tips, a long way back. Second shot was a 3wood from 265 yards to the pin and got on green 40 feet short and a 2 putt birdie

Apart from that, pure shit. Fat shots, shanked 2 off the tee with irons on par 3’s. Just no turn all monkey arms

Might need a golf furlough
AP3’s with stiff shafts LPZ 6.0 out of the bag
Replaced with my mizuno jpx900 forged with LPZ 5.5

Almost all done 😔

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3635 on: August 21, 2020, 01:19:11 am »
My entire golf game was summed up in 2 consecutive holes today.

First, a 400-yd downhill, dogleg right, par 4. 300 yard drive, bypassing the dogleg with a helpful kick off the cart path. 9 iron onto the green, 2-putt.

Then, a 160-yd uphill par 3. 6 iron, hit sweetly, lands teetering on the edge of the green side bunker. Tried to bump and run it down to the pin, hit the toe, missed the green. Took 4 to get down from the fringe.

I hate this game.

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3636 on: August 23, 2020, 08:28:54 pm »
Two weekends in a row I haven’t played. Gutted. Last week was bone  idleness. This weekend the forecast was terrible

Every year I do this and come December I’m gutted!

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3637 on: August 28, 2020, 10:41:36 pm »
Playing in a member member scramble comp on Sunday
We get 11 strokes

No fucking chance.
Playing like I did when I was 12
Started off the year shooting a 69 and now can’t get anywhere near the 70’s. Back and sciatic nerve still fucked but I’m not giving in 😂

Going to be 110 degrees tomorrow going to be fucking brutal in more ways than one

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3638 on: August 29, 2020, 10:01:26 am »
110 sounds lovely

I’m just about to head out in 56 degrees on the summer Bank holiday!!

Playing at a course that I’ve only played to handicap once I think and it’ll be wet so playing long

Still going to enjoy it though!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3639 on: August 29, 2020, 03:20:23 pm »
Well, 30 points off new 13 handicap

Delighted as I was on 23 stood on 27th tee!

Played so poorly until the end