Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 292217 times)

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #3640 on: August 29, 2020, 04:40:44 pm »
Playing in a member member scramble comp on Sunday
We get 11 strokes

No fucking chance.
Playing like I did when I was 12
Started off the year shooting a 69 and now can’t get anywhere near the 70’s. Back and sciatic nerve still fucked but I’m not giving in 😂

Going to be 110 degrees tomorrow going to be fucking brutal in more ways than one

It’s brutal in the Texas mid day sun. By the 3rd hole, if walking you’ve already drank a litre of water. In a cart you are still drinking at least 4 litres of water/propel and snacking on protein bars

It’s oppressive to be honest

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3641 on: August 29, 2020, 08:59:07 pm »
It’s brutal in the Texas mid day sun. By the 3rd hole, if walking you’ve already drank a litre of water. In a cart you are still drinking at least 4 litres of water/propel and snacking on protein bars

It’s oppressive to be honest

Yes appreciate that may be a bit too hot!

Somewhere in between the two might be ideal

Have a good round

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3642 on: August 30, 2020, 01:04:00 am »
Played today and did my usual bad tempered blowout.

Was 1 over (gross) playing the 8th. Simple short par 4. Drive wide into a bunker when no need to take a driver at all and take the bunkers out of play. 130 yards to go, take an 8 iron out the bunker, catch the lip and escape out oo 85 yards which is my preferred/preferable shot of all my clubs. Could feel the pissed off level rising - even though I'm walking to my ball saying "ffs youve got a cob on and your 1 over, escaped a poor drive, a poor bunker shot, and you've got a preferred distance into the hole, par is still probable here."  Yeah, just ignore the positives. Thin through the back, shit out of the return chip, lip out the putt 2 inches.

The red mist has landed!!! Club throwing begins.

Bogeyed, doubled, or just picked up for the next holes to 15th. Driving was either shite or very good, but when I got within 100 yards which I'm usually pretty decent at I honestly couldnt hit a club properly. Twice I left myself 75 yards in and the next shot still had 40 left - one from a bunker ffs. Game drives me mad.

I remembered someone on here saying play 3 holes at a time which I'd mentioned to my mate and he said lets just do it for the last 3 to see who pays for the sarnies and drinks afterwards.

Par/Par/Par finish to win by 2.

I really need to sort my head out when I screw up holes as it just wrecks my game. Its not only bad for me but I'm actually embarrassed and feel bad for my mates as theyre affected by my bad mood. Were all ex squaddies so they know what buttons to press as well - no sympathy given :-)  On the plus side for them, if were playing matchplay they readily admit that no matter what the score is they know that they just have to wait for a bad shot and ensuing meltdown for a large swing in their favour. I seldom fail to deliver.

Strange, as when I play in medals with people I dont know its never an issue. Its not even something I even have to think about and tend to be fine however I do.

Like I say, game drives me mad. Need to sort my temperament out ffs.

Hmmmmm

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3643 on: August 30, 2020, 09:22:08 pm »
Got out again tonight. Same course as yesterday and got 36 points off 13. Played well but was on my own which is never as much fun. Good practice though

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3644 on: August 31, 2020, 02:21:30 am »
Well member member went ok
We won our flight and won $200

Had a 5 min overview from my sons coach and at last I knew where I was going wrong

Filmed me and all about protecting my back and swaying. No more swaying

Happy as 2 long irons on par 5’s 210 yards over water both landed pin high and went through the green. I can live with that. We birdied both.

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3645 on: September 3, 2020, 03:24:46 pm »
Conditions are getting a little winterlike out there and its only the start of September. Always fun when you get preferred lies in late August ;) Going to play in a 9 hole singles comp this evening and 20 points might win it but my best lately was 17 after 9 and 32 after 18 so not holding out for much. Feeling a little better about the game but cant stop scratching 3 or 4 holes every round. Then I try to play safe golf and that just leads to many one pointers on the card so god knows except enjoy it as soon we wont be able to golf after 6pm.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3646 on: September 3, 2020, 04:13:00 pm »
Conditions are getting a little winterlike out there and its only the start of September. Always fun when you get preferred lies in late August ;) Going to play in a 9 hole singles comp this evening and 20 points might win it but my best lately was 17 after 9 and 32 after 18 so not holding out for much. Feeling a little better about the game but cant stop scratching 3 or 4 holes every round. Then I try to play safe golf and that just leads to many one pointers on the card so god knows except enjoy it as soon we wont be able to golf after 6pm.

Our course was shut yesterday
Tuesday we had 4 inches of rain in a couple hours
There’s a creek going through it and was a little flooded.

Photos too big to post 😂
Cleared now but wet conditions underfoot 😂

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3647 on: September 5, 2020, 11:54:09 pm »
Getting worse 😂
And it’s all putting
Eight 3 putts today. Won money but by god frustrated to fuck

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3648 on: September 6, 2020, 09:57:12 am »
Prefer lies yesterday which made a difference as kept the scratches down to one only. Scrambled like a bollix and shot 21 points on the front with a scratch (2 birdies helped) and a consistent 17 on the back. 38 points my best return in a long while even though I did not bring my A game. My mates would say I dont have an A game  :boxhead lol still felt I should have broken 40 yesterday as had a couple of three putts from 15 feet. Tulip
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3649 on: September 6, 2020, 10:16:24 pm »
Such a frustrating game, just when you think you have it all worked out you lose it again just as fast  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3650 on: September 6, 2020, 11:10:28 pm »
As I’m playing like a twat
There’s a place 20mins away that sells all kinds of golf balls. Hit once and lost balls
$15 for a dozen prov1’s or AVX’s. And even the new prov1’s with alignment aids

12 dozen bought for $180. I swear you can’t see any dings, scuffs or anything. Fuck spending $50 a dozen. Holy shit Batman

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3651 on: September 6, 2020, 11:12:35 pm »
That's unbelievable value in fairness.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3652 on: September 7, 2020, 07:34:11 pm »
79 today
With a triple and 2 doubles
Had 4 birdies, the best a 12inch put on a par 3 that I almost missed flmao

Hitting the ball better, a lot better. Couple of par 5’s putting for eagles, both birdies

Next week we play off the tips which is brutal at the course i play. Completely different animal from the tips

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3653 on: September 9, 2020, 01:43:54 am »
Improvements today. Iron play was much better overall, if not consistent. Finished with a nice par on the 9th which will keep me coming back again.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3654 on: September 10, 2020, 01:12:43 pm »
Sacked off work and am off to play Falkirk GC.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3655 on: September 14, 2020, 05:25:44 pm »
Just played today in what felt like a furnace on top of a hill. I know it wasn’t hot compared to you lot in the US but I thought I was going to die ;D

Anyway course was so tight and I’d never played it. Recipe for disaster. 26 points. Enjoyed it though. Going back in the week now I know where to hit it

Was Leominster for anyone who’s interested!

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3656 on: September 16, 2020, 11:27:49 am »
35 years playing sorry hacking around golf courses and closest ever hole in one was 4 inches and before that you need binoculars to measure to the pin. On Monday I probably hit the best 96 yard shot I could hit and saw the ball spun (must have mishit it to get spin haha) into the hole for my second hole in one this summer. Two months ago I did not even see the ball go in the hole as blind as a bat once the ball goes past 150 yards but Monday I saw it fall in. Best moment ever on the course as myself and my mate were jumping around the teebox. He was also cursing me as just had hit his within 8 feet. 

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3657 on: September 16, 2020, 12:15:15 pm »
35 years playing sorry hacking around golf courses and closest ever hole in one was 4 inches and before that you need binoculars to measure to the pin. On Monday I probably hit the best 96 yard shot I could hit and saw the ball spun (must have mishit it to get spin haha) into the hole for my second hole in one this summer. Two months ago I did not even see the ball go in the hole as blind as a bat once the ball goes past 150 yards but Monday I saw it fall in. Best moment ever on the course as myself and my mate were jumping around the teebox. He was also cursing me as just had hit his within 8 feet.

96 yards? Were you playing off the ladies  :P Nah fair play that is some going, leave some out there for the rest of us.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3658 on: September 17, 2020, 09:49:04 am »

Two in a season is a bit greedy!!

Fair play to ya

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3659 on: September 17, 2020, 08:24:25 pm »
Haha I thought it was 105 but the club posted a pic of me with that yardage just to rub it in I think  :lmao Im going for three this weekend so yep expecting scratches galore  :P

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3660 on: September 17, 2020, 10:00:01 pm »
Haha I thought it was 105 but the club posted a pic of me with that yardage just to rub it in I think  :lmao Im going for three this weekend so yep expecting scratches galore  :P

Well done only holes in one from me are on crazy golf

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3661 on: September 18, 2020, 11:19:07 am »
i'd one at a pitch and putt that was about it

2-3 feet on the 7th at roe park in limavady one day after another was closest i got

same course theres a short par 4 near the end, its driveable, mate drove the green and ball disappeared behind pin, they thought it was in so some amount of cheering only to realize it was about a foot behind the hole

still a nice 2
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3662 on: September 19, 2020, 05:37:01 pm »
Three rounds in three days after a year out

26 handicap. Managed 34, 30 and 30 points.

Last two days scrappy. Three courses. All greens were shit but my short game is very poor. At least ten shots left out there each day

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3663 on: September 19, 2020, 05:46:03 pm »
Three rounds in three days after a year out

26 handicap. Managed 34, 30 and 30 points.

Last two days scrappy. Three courses. All greens were shit but my short game is very poor. At least ten shots left out there each day

Three in three days. You’ll feel that tomorrow!

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3664 on: September 19, 2020, 06:50:37 pm »
82 today and finished with 4 bogeys. Dickhead

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3665 on: September 19, 2020, 09:04:55 pm »
Three in three days. You’ll feel that tomorrow!
tomorrow is today. Played 5 a aside this morn.

Feel ok

Just delighted to be back

Online blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3666 on: September 19, 2020, 10:00:50 pm »
There was a Tri Am on at our place today which I couldnt make, but went out myself just after 4.

Played off the whites and every single hole had them as far back as they could go give or take a yard. Certainly the longest I've seen it play, and with lot of the pins at the back too.

Managed to finish with an 80 which I was delighted with considering it was playing its full length.

One of those rounds where nothing was perfect really but scrambled through. Poor drive - good 2nd or 3rd or putt. Good drive, poor 2nd, good 3rd, poor putt kind of stuff. But no nightmare holes or completely duff shots. Landed in 3 greenside bunkers and got up and down on 2 of them. Strangely feel a lot more confident out of them at the moment.

Played Pumpherston Golf club on Thursday and thats quite a nice knock, and in good nick.  made the most out of the space though with some tees a bit tight to the greens... as we found out lol.

Kings Acre GC tomorrow. Making the most out of the decent weather.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3667 on: September 20, 2020, 12:52:12 pm »

Kings Acre GC tomorrow. Making the most out of the decent weather.

Booked an extra days holiday based on the weather myself

Playing Hesketh. Just hope we get a result later so not to ruin the weekend!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3668 on: September 21, 2020, 02:43:42 pm »
36 points off my new playing handicap of 14

Played well. Left a few out there

Happy enough

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3669 on: September 21, 2020, 02:58:02 pm »
35 points off 9 this weekend and I blobbed on 3 holes

Short game, ughhh
Reaching long par 5’s in 2 or within yards of the green then taking 4 to get down from just off the green
I hit the ball like a scratch golfer and then short game like someone who’s never seen a golf club before

I am the Rory of my club, clueless with a wedge and putter in hand 🤣

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3670 on: September 21, 2020, 03:26:03 pm »
35 points off 9 this weekend and I blobbed on 3 holes

Short game, ughhh
Reaching long par 5’s in 2 or within yards of the green then taking 4 to get down from just off the green
I hit the ball like a scratch golfer and then short game like someone who’s never seen a golf club before

I am the Rory of my club, clueless with a wedge and putter in hand 🤣

I feel your pain, I'm the exact same. So inconsistent with my short game.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3671 on: September 21, 2020, 03:41:48 pm »
if i had a good short game i could have got 50 points in one round this week

16th at castlereagh is a short par 4, i was 50 short of green with beautiful drive but finish with a bogey, my chip (if you can call it that) went about 40 foot past pin,

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3672 on: September 21, 2020, 04:32:10 pm »
It’s the beauty of golf. The most infuriating game know to man
I swear I was close to a sub par round.
3 bad shots which were on me off the tee on par 3’s and stupid short game errors

Reaching every par 5 in two, or at least within 10yards and proceeded to bogey 3 of them and the other a 7iron 190 hit the side and went into the hazard but made a par

Online blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3673 on: September 21, 2020, 08:49:42 pm »
Reaching every par 5 in two, or at least within 10yards and proceeded to bogey 3 of them and the other a 7iron 190 hit the side and went into the hazard but made a par

Im the polar opposite really. I dont hit it far at all, but around the greens I'm usually pretty good for an up or down.  I'd say my preferred shot is from just off the green with a 7 iron and run it up. I fully expect to get down in 2 most times - but some days I'm just not at it. Id much rather chip than putt from distance - although my putting is improving to a state where I will actually putt from the fringe now - whereas before I wouldnt dream of it.

I was out tonight and played the front 11 in gross 3 over from the whites. Missed the loop from 12 - 15 out (2 of the hardest holes in there), and finished par, par, par. And should have finished par, birdie, birdie.

Funny old game considering I played kings Acre on Sunday and shot 22 points for the front 9, played Ok till the 15th with 12 points, lost my rag at that for being stupid and then had 3 blobs in a row which included not hitting a 2nd shot at all on the 16 and 17th. Then chilled and won a pint on the 18th with a par.

Still had the same club count at the end though!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:58:28 pm by blert596 »

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3674 on: September 22, 2020, 11:48:56 am »
Think its key to end with the same clubs after all is done ;) I have been scrambling like a miner lately as I dig myself out of wtf locations and somehow making a decent score as had three 38 pointers in a row until last weekend. For various reasons had to end the round on the 14th which was my 3rd birdie for the day but as I had scratched 4 of the 14 holes I was sitting on 28 points. Up and down like a whores knickers as it was one of those days where I was not truly focused as knew 18 holes were unlikely so consistency was all over the shop. Golf!!!

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3675 on: September 23, 2020, 08:24:43 pm »
Playing West Lancs Sunday, anyone played before?

Member of Formby Hall so used to playing slightly longer course with plenty of water that extends the length, be strange having the option to run the ball up. Albeit, West Lancs looks very narrow and the wind will play a big part.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3676 on: October 4, 2020, 10:13:39 am »
Playing West Lancs Sunday, anyone played before?

Member of Formby Hall so used to playing slightly longer course with plenty of water that extends the length, be strange having the option to run the ball up. Albeit, West Lancs looks very narrow and the wind will play a big part.

How was it?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3677 on: October 4, 2020, 10:15:29 am »
heard about JCB course yesterday. Anyone heard about it or played it?

Mate played a corporate do and said it was best he's ever played. Stunning from start to finish

You can't get on without invite and its building quite the reputation

Now its on the bucket list!

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3678 on: October 5, 2020, 12:26:23 am »
Played in memeber guest today
Won our flight then went into a massive payoff with 8 teams.
Got knocked out as we didn’t have shots on the first. So went out to a par ffs

Great time. Didn’t play great as I fuxked my back again earlier in the week

Enjoyed it though

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #3679 on: October 7, 2020, 11:29:54 am »
Looking forward to playing this weekend not played for the last couple weekends due to the weather. I normally stop playing around mid October time with the clocks changing and weather getting colder but thinking this year of playing right through all be it the course is not iced up and on winter greens. I have been playing the best golf of my life in the last few months don't feel like there is any pressure more relaxed and focused now  Changed my mindset on golf if i duffed a putt up or lost a hole I would take that into the next hole and the following and before you know it I was either 3 down in MP .

Been playing a lot of courses in Fife this year value for money if they were located in Edinburgh or West Lothian they would be 30% 40% more expensive .