Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 292227 times)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #3680 on: October 7, 2020, 01:52:34 pm »
Looking forward to playing this weekend not played for the last couple weekends due to the weather. I normally stop playing around mid October time with the clocks changing and weather getting colder but thinking this year of playing right through all be it the course is not iced up and on winter greens. I have been playing the best golf of my life in the last few months don't feel like there is any pressure more relaxed and focused now  Changed my mindset on golf if i duffed a putt up or lost a hole I would take that into the next hole and the following and before you know it I was either 3 down in MP .

Been playing a lot of courses in Fife this year value for money if they were located in Edinburgh or West Lothian they would be 30% 40% more expensive .

Had the same thought about playing through the winter. Hate winter greens so that's the key for me.

Determined to practice throughout at the very least. Keep expecting to improve without practice. Madness really

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3681 on: October 14, 2020, 04:37:03 pm »
Saw a great show last night about a few lads traveling around New Zealand, only half way through it but this course looked pretty special. Some day Im going to knock on their gate and see if I can caddy there for a couple of months as I travel around the world (fingers crossed)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jGKjjhq-COk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jGKjjhq-COk</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AnCsUdKjv4U&amp;t=26s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AnCsUdKjv4U&amp;t=26s</a>

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3682 on: October 14, 2020, 05:54:00 pm »
Saw a great show last night about a few lads traveling around New Zealand, only half way through it but this course looked pretty special. Some day Im going to knock on their gate and see if I can caddy there for a couple of months as I travel around the world (fingers crossed)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jGKjjhq-COk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jGKjjhq-COk</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AnCsUdKjv4U&amp;t=26s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AnCsUdKjv4U&amp;t=26s</a>

Hrmm New Zealand you say. Could be a good place to retire 😉

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3683 on: October 14, 2020, 08:21:42 pm »
What annoys me the most
Shooting 1 under on the front nine
Shooting 10over on the back nine

I knew what I was doing but couldn’t stop it. Coming over the top and hook big draw
Was looking good until I did a Rory 😂

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3684 on: October 17, 2020, 10:14:55 am »
Well I would still swop by 8 over on both sides any day with you lol heading off today to play here but its starting to piss down. My hopes is the forecast is right and the rain disappears by noon and I dont lose half a dozen balls. Think the rain stopping is more likely

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3685 on: October 18, 2020, 07:06:14 pm »
Stupid fucking game

Shot an 80 with four 3 putts and a 4 putt
Seriously this is starting to wind me up  ;D

Also missed a 2 foot birdie and multiple birdie putts inside 10feet 😂
Did have 2 birdies though

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3686 on: October 27, 2020, 02:41:19 pm »
Club championship this weekend. Going to miss it. Not playing anywhere near last year due to ongoing back issues.

Plus it will be 40 degrees when they tee off. Back says nope

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3687 on: October 31, 2020, 03:01:10 pm »
Is there an up to date slope ratings for all (UK) courses available anywhere, now that the new system is out?

Looked at a couple of sites and apart from one I cant see any slope info at all. Certainly my own clubs website doesn't have the info, but from the Scottish Golf App I know its 134.

I found a central one with data Pope of Slopes but not sure how accurate that is
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3688 on: November 2, 2020, 08:00:27 am »
Is there an up to date slope ratings for all (UK) courses available anywhere, now that the new system is out?

Looked at a couple of sites and apart from one I cant see any slope info at all. Certainly my own clubs website doesn't have the info, but from the Scottish Golf App I know its 134.

I found a central one with data Pope of Slopes but not sure how accurate that is

Just been looking here. Not sure its what you're after though?

https://www.my-golf.uk/want-to-know-your-golf-courses-slope-rating/

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3689 on: November 3, 2020, 07:15:24 pm »
Just been looking here. Not sure its what you're after though?

https://www.my-golf.uk/want-to-know-your-golf-courses-slope-rating/

That'll do nicely mate. Cheers.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3690 on: November 24, 2020, 01:27:55 am »
Played with the guy trying to make it on tour today
Amazing the little tips they give you and shot a 78 with multiple birdie putts, all missed bar 1 😂

He shot level par with 15 putts missed inside 20feet. The greens had just been prepared punched and sanded so pretty good

Played with my boy also, good times

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3691 on: November 24, 2020, 11:46:36 pm »
Played links golf today and got battered by a 40-50mph wind the whole way round. It was a bit of a grind but its always good craic playing links trying to hit different types of shots and keep the ball lower out of the wind.

On one 420 yard par 4 into the wind I hit driver, 5 iron and 7 iron to the front edge of the green. On the following 190 yard par 3 downwind I landed a 7 iron pin high. Greens were in excellent condition for this time of year.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3692 on: December 13, 2020, 11:00:22 am »
Played links golf today and got battered by a 40-50mph wind the whole way round. It was a bit of a grind but its always good craic playing links trying to hit different types of shots and keep the ball lower out of the wind.

On one 420 yard par 4 into the wind I hit driver, 5 iron and 7 iron to the front edge of the green. On the following 190 yard par 3 downwind I landed a 7 iron pin high. Greens were in excellent condition for this time of year.

Would you think its good craic if you had to do that every weekend over the winter as a member ;) Would frustrate the crap out of me but you can see how your game would improve as have to learn to hit different shots. The only courses that may be dry this time of year as my local parkland is like a bog in parts but overall playable...just. Played yesterday in the weekly Christmas comp and had a good one considering there is about one inch of run out there, if lucky :) Putting was tricky as greens were running slow as shyte so struggled for speed but a run of five pars in a row gave me some confidence and kept the scratches to one. Just good to get out.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3693 on: December 17, 2020, 04:00:59 pm »
Anybody here ever dealt with golfer's elbow before? Played the game all my life but haven't played much over the last 5 years. That changed this year with the pandemic as golf courses remained open throughout it all in the area, given you were outside and could play relatively separate from other humans.

Long story short, I've played more golf than I have in a long time (still only averaging a round or two/month + a driving range session) and I've been experiencing elbow pain on my right elbow for a couple months now, on the inside of it (I'm a right handed golfer). I've self-diagnosed it as golfer's elbow based on a bit of research. Have tried doing some at home PT work recently but I have no idea if it's working or not. It was real bad in October, I played some tennis a few days after my latest round of golf and my forearm actually started swelling up. Took it easy for a month and things gradually started getting better but the pain and discomfort is certainly still there.

Anyone have any tips or advice? I know staying away from the course and not swinging a club is nearly universally recommended but that's quite hard to do to be honest! Anything to speed up the process so I can swing again without having any or much pain would be wonderful.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3694 on: December 19, 2020, 11:44:24 pm »
78 today
37 41

Coulda shoulda woulda
Multiple 3 putts when putting for a birdie. No doubles which helped massively and no lost ball 👍
Back to shit tomorrow probably 😂

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3695 on: December 27, 2020, 07:47:21 pm »
Just when it was all coming back
Swung today and heard a snap. Had to walk off, back fucked again

Cnuts

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3696 on: March 28, 2021, 04:33:04 pm »
Am I right in thinking a lot of ranges and courses should be open again tomorrow? I started getting lessons at the range and was starting to get the hang of things just before the second lockdown hit, been looking forward to getting back in there and seeing how much I've regressed.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3697 on: March 30, 2021, 07:42:08 pm »
Turns out they are open, managed to squeeze in a visit at the range today, was just starting to get the hang of hitting it semi straight before lockdown and now I'm back to shanking it right most of the time. I think it's a flexibility thing as I was really trying to exaggerate the turn/swing which is what I was doing previously, pretty sure last time it took me 2-300 balls across 3-4 visits to get flexible enough to hit it kind of right.

The course I've been going to is currently only allowing members to play on the actual course though, even though I've only had a couple of lessons I'm tempted to sign up and play, not sure sticking purely to the range is a good idea for learning purposes and it seems like a decent workout.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3698 on: April 1, 2021, 10:17:26 am »
Lucky bastards if back golfing this week ;) Will be the end of April in Ireland so will be about 5 months since I have hit a shot by then so god help us. Not sure I will pay my member subs this year  as still asking for full fees and if work picks up this summer then might only get out once a week if lucky. Then again I could  be out there every day in May and the subs will look cheap by then lol

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3699 on: April 1, 2021, 12:09:17 pm »
Lucky bastards if back golfing this week ;) Will be the end of April in Ireland so will be about 5 months since I have hit a shot by then so god help us. Not sure I will pay my member subs this year  as still asking for full fees and if work picks up this summer then might only get out once a week if lucky. Then again I could  be out there every day in May and the subs will look cheap by then lol

I was just trying to decide whether to become a member, the range I've been going to requires membership to use the course because there's apparently a big demand for golf right now since all the gym's are closed and people are trying to squeeze games in while they can. I'm still new to golf but I figured it's probably best to play a mix of the range and the course no matter how bad you are.

In the mean time my arm and back are fucked from hitting a meagre 50 balls yesterday, I really need to learn to stretch properly beforehand and do some golf related exercises.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3700 on: April 2, 2021, 12:28:51 am »

I'm out for the foreseeable future. Had surgery to remove the herniated disc a couple of weeks ago
No stretching bending exercise anything for at least 6weeks
Can't sit for longer than 30mins without getting up and walking about

Only exercise is walking, at least 3-6months before I can swing a club for fears of it herniating again.

Fucked off but never want that sciatic pain again

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3701 on: April 3, 2021, 06:38:03 pm »
Hit another 100 balls yesterday at the range, I was pretty consistent, unfortunately by that I mean I was consistently shanking them right into some nearby trees. I think I just don't have the strength and flexibility to hit the ball right, I started getting lessons before the second lockdown and was starting to get it roughly right after 5-600 balls, but I'm back where I started now. Once some of the soreness has gone away I think I need to start looking into golf stretches/exercises.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3702 on: April 3, 2021, 10:17:21 pm »
Mate of mine usually gets two rounds a week in. Plays off about 11

Went out this week for first time in ages. Standard par 4 to begin he's played 1000 times. I've parred it easy myself before

He said after so long he buried two shots straight in the ground and shanked/sliced his third tee shot. Ended up with a ten.

I can't wait to wreck my back.and delight myself with an odd par
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3703 on: April 4, 2021, 04:54:49 pm »
Yeah that all sounds familiar, apart from the bit about being good beforehand.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3704 on: April 5, 2021, 11:08:05 am »
Struggling with my shoulder at the moment but might work to my favour as just need to swing easier and club up one. No ranges open here so will just go out the back and chip a little and swing a few times to get a little rhythm back. Teetimes will be at a premium when they do open up as can see every day chock a block but the course should be in decent nick. I am sure they will be hounding me for my dues so will throw a couple of hundred at the bill which will keep them happy.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3705 on: April 5, 2021, 04:37:30 pm »
Really can’t understand that golf wasn’t allowed
Courses have been open and socially distanced since the pandemic over here in Texas
You are outside and can do contactless check in. I get that it’s a bastard of a virus but I’m nowhere near my playing partners anyway as we are all over the gaff 😂

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3706 on: April 26, 2021, 01:21:48 pm »
https://www.loromerogolf.com/?lang=en

Playing here tomorrow. Cannot wait. Bit rusty mind.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3707 on: April 27, 2021, 08:05:38 pm »
Great to be back as great weather yesterday and course was in good nick although greens were slow. Doing a lot of work on the course as was only 9 holes two years ago, now 12 and the new owner is doing an excellent job as on the way to completing 6 more holes by 2023. Bogey golf with a couple of doubles thrown in and finished with 3 pars and 2 bogeys. Never seen so many smiles on a golf course ;)

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3708 on: April 27, 2021, 11:39:29 pm »
Been playing quite a bit lately.

My driving distance has improved a lot (simulator practice) and Ive become known amongst our usual crowd as "the fairway finder". Usually was Ok but getting an extra 20/30 yards on the drive is a gamechanger, big time.

I'd say up until Sunday I'd missed fairways only twice in my last 2 rounds, and even then not by much.

Until yesterday!! When I had a knockout match and lost on the 20th hole. And I didn't hit a single fairway. Not a single one, in 20 holes. And it wasn't pressure either (as far as I could tell) as was playing against a lad I know well who most people expected me to beat comfortably. Ever just theink the golfing gods are in the mood to take the piss?

And I know it sounds bitter but you ever have them days when you're a bit offline and seem to be blocked out all the time? Lip out a couple of times? Take a 5 wood to lay up on the bunkers as he's just drove into the woods, and watch as it lands and then trundles fucking miles just to drop in and leave you on the downslope? He hits a provisional and ends up going on the opposite side of the fairway to his original drive. Walks down the right not even looking for his first ball. I'm walking up towards the bunker and spot his ball for him that has bounced out from the middle of the Black fucking Forest. FFS!!, he's got a line forward.

Seriously. I know we all exaggerate a bit about bad luck and never seem to notice our good luck. But fuck me. this just felt on another level. On about a dozen holes. To be fair he did play a few well.

The best bit that had me shaking my head was he carried a great 7 iron about 160 and hit the top of the greenside bunker and rolled back in, and he just said "no luck today". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  :'(

To top it off. The 19ths a par 5. Im 82 yards out (after a cracking 5 wood from the first cut) and he's about 110ish. he thins a wedge just clearing the first bunker, then runs up the entry lip of the second to leap over that one, catches a bit of  thick fringe and rolls to the edge of the green. I pitch on to 10ftish.  He then rams. and I mean rams a 25 yard putt in, that probably left a dent in the fucking flagstick.

To be honest I'd pretty much given up on the match then  :lmao :lmao :lmao 

Still, better than work.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3709 on: April 27, 2021, 11:52:03 pm »
https://www.loromerogolf.com/?lang=en

Playing here tomorrow. Cannot wait. Bit rusty mind.

Looks nice mate. That 18th looks like a 3 shotter to the green for me :-)

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3710 on: May 13, 2021, 01:13:55 pm »
Had a couple of rounds in the past week, first one my driving was (always has been slicey) erratic to say the least, but my short game was really top notch. Second one I’d worked on my driving and found pretty much every fairway, but my short game went to pot. I’ve got a good score in me somewhere but can just never put it all together at the same time. So frustrating.
AHA!

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3711 on: May 19, 2021, 02:46:41 am »
Had a couple of rounds in the past week, first one my driving was (always has been slicey) erratic to say the least, but my short game was really top notch. Second one I’d worked on my driving and found pretty much every fairway, but my short game went to pot. I’ve got a good score in me somewhere but can just never put it all together at the same time. So frustrating.
That's why we keep going back...
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3712 on: June 2, 2021, 05:21:23 pm »
Played "properly" for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I'd played a few times when I was younger but never with any practice and usually with a few beers. It was a pretty sobering experience, in the end I was just aiming for double bogeys and even that was tough!

Been to the range a couple of times since and I feel like I'm over an initial learning hump, I can hit it straight with pretty much every club now and then, but irons are much more consistent as I've had more practice with those. Distance is terrible, all 100-150 yards, but it's gone up slightly and it's not really my focus until I can get it straight more often.

I was planning to only use borrowed clubs until I really outgrow them but already feeling the spending itch, I think I'll just persevere with what I have though, maybe set a milestone of finishing 18 holes in 100 shots or something before I start spending.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3713 on: June 5, 2021, 12:00:50 am »
New irons arrived this week, first round 83 and then 79 today. Play at a relatively tough course so majorly pleased. Back 9 of first round and front 9 of this round totalled 76, so confident there is a really low round in there over the summer. I’ve still got my new driver to arrive next couple of weeks.

Upgrading my irons over 10 year old set has lived up to expectations, nearly 3 clubs longer in some cases with stronger lofts, better shafts and hotter faces.

Most importantly fantastic weather to be out there enjoying a round, and great to see the bar full & lively coming off the 18th.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3714 on: June 7, 2021, 10:23:30 am »
New irons arrived this week, first round 83 and then 79 today. Play at a relatively tough course so majorly pleased. Back 9 of first round and front 9 of this round totalled 76, so confident there is a really low round in there over the summer. I’ve still got my new driver to arrive next couple of weeks.

Upgrading my irons over 10 year old set has lived up to expectations, nearly 3 clubs longer in some cases with stronger lofts, better shafts and hotter faces.

Most importantly fantastic weather to be out there enjoying a round, and great to see the bar full & lively coming off the 18th.

What are your new irons and what did you upgrade from?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3715 on: June 7, 2021, 12:37:40 pm »
I’ve not played a round in about 5 years but am heading to Northern Ireland for a few weeks in the summer and hoping to play a bit where the in-laws are. Taking the clubs I got for my 18th birthday. :D Will I be laughed out of town?

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3716 on: June 7, 2021, 02:54:42 pm »
I’ve not played a round in about 5 years but am heading to Northern Ireland for a few weeks in the summer and hoping to play a bit where the in-laws are. Taking the clubs I got for my 18th birthday. :D Will I be laughed out of town?

Maybe not laughed at, but with Northern Irish in-laws I'm sure you're already aware of our dry, sarky wit. Expect loads of that  ;D

Where will you be playing golf?

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3717 on: June 9, 2021, 07:19:19 pm »
Played 18 holes properly for the first time at Wirral Golf club, it's quite a short course with a good mix of par 4's and 3's which I really like. Played well by my own standards, and by that I mean I was shite! Good fun though, aside from all the grannies moaning about the rules at every opportunity.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3718 on: June 25, 2021, 10:45:54 pm »
First game since sept. One driving range visit since

Parred first. Putted very well. Greens were so fast. One hole cost me an unfair point. I putted and you can't take out flag. If you could it was in. Flag stick knocked it out

17 points after 8 holes. Should have been 18. Then went and hit 4 dings in 6 holes. 29 points.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3719 on: June 26, 2021, 04:40:06 pm »
Been given the go ahead to hit wedges to 7 iron this weekend. Just over 3 months since back surgery
Still getting a little sciatic pain in left glute but I can move and have strength

Looking forward to slowly getting back into it