12 (10.8%)
Modern Warfare
14 (12.6%)
Near Future
1 (0.9%)
Futuristic
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: Battlefield 1 (PC/PS4/XB1) - Out Now on EA Access - 21st October Full Release  (Read 40901 times)

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
Re: Battlefield 1: (World War One) 18/10/16 (PC/PS4/XB1)
« Reply #40 on: May 6, 2016, 09:54:54 pm »
This, with any luck, will bury COD this year.

IF they get it right. If it's a Star Wars Battlefront re-skin, it's game over though

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 6, 2016, 09:57:55 pm »
For people like me who play games like this for the levelling and customisation, I'll be interested to see what they can do with the character progression etc.

They said they've added more to the customisation, that could mean anything from a cool new vehicle/weapon alteration feature to some micro-transaction skins garbage.

This, with any luck, will bury COD this year.

IF they get it right. If it's a Star Wars Battlefront re-skin, it's game over though

Battlefront was a dumbed down Battlefield, no way will it be like that.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #42 on: May 6, 2016, 10:19:31 pm »
Looks like my kind of game.

I'm not generally into FPSs at all, but the World Wars era holds an endless fascination for me, has done since I was a little boy hearing all the dispatch rider stories of my great grandad. I've been waiting for a proper AAA WWI game for so long, it's a traditionally quite neglected setting, full of potential.

There obviously needs to be a dominant British/European presence, and I would hope the voice acting properly reflects the class spectrum and regional accent melting pot of the trenches. I wish they hadn't felt the need to have some dubstep White Stripes bollocks backing the action, but I guess a trailer has to try to get the kids onside with the idea. I hope it's not just a bombastic actionfest, and it truly captures the horror and brutality of that most attritional & devastating of wars.

They can use this to lead straight into WWII in a sequel too.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 6, 2016, 10:38:10 pm »
Collectors Edition costs $219.99 and includes a messenger pigeon tube.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/6/11612548/battlefield-1-announced-first-trailer

Looks like my kind of game.

I'm not generally into FPSs at all, but the World Wars era holds an endless fascination for me, has done since I was a little boy hearing all the dispatch rider stories of my great grandad. I've been waiting for a proper AAA WWI game for so long, it's a traditionally quite neglected setting, full of potential.

There obviously needs to be a dominant British/European presence, and I would hope the voice acting properly reflects the class spectrum and regional accent melting pot of the trenches. I wish they hadn't felt the need to have some dubstep White Stripes bollocks backing the action, but I guess a trailer has to try to get the kids onside with the idea. I hope it's not just a bombastic actionfest, and it truly captures the horror and brutality of that most attritional & devastating of wars.

They can use this to lead straight into WWII in a sequel too.

I'm not sure if they'll manage the diverse range of accents and nationalities, but I'm fairly certain you'll be able to parachute down from a zeppelin while holding a flamethrower, so swings and roundabouts.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2016, 10:48:18 pm by Schmidt »

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #44 on: May 6, 2016, 11:03:23 pm »
I look  forward to flying around in a sopwith camel pretending to be Lord Flasheart.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #45 on: May 7, 2016, 12:12:45 am »
WW1 was what I voted for. Can't wait.
XBL: Flash6289

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #46 on: May 7, 2016, 12:32:04 am »
Hope it has an engrossing single player campaign.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #47 on: May 7, 2016, 06:56:25 am »
I'm not sure if they'll manage the diverse range of accents and nationalities, but I'm fairly certain you'll be able to parachute down from a zeppelin while holding a flamethrower, so swings and roundabouts.
It has to be heightened, accessible action fantasy, I dig that. And as long as it's tastefully done, I'll love that element too - the romance and adventure of it all is as much a part of The Great War as the grim reality of the horrific meat grinder it was.

But I would be seriously fucked off if it was massively American-centic, that'd be taking the piss. I don't think it will be anyway, going by the type of battle fatigues and the voices I hear in that trailer, and there are interesting American/Canadian stories to be told, just not taking up the whole picture!

The potential for some poetic Wilfred Owen/Siegfried Sassoon vibes in there in the writing among H. Rider Haggard-esque globetrotting Boy's Own action & adventure is simply too good an opportunity to turn down, so I hope the developers have got it all covered to make a compelling, all-encompassing transportive, exhilirating experience, rather than just another dumbed-down shooter but with an early 20th century skin.

I look  forward to flying around in a sopwith camel pretending to be Lord Flasheart.
^ This guy here, this guy knows where it's at  ;D

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #48 on: May 7, 2016, 07:24:52 am »
Honestly though, someone with the time and madskillz needs to separate the audio in that trailer, sac off all that glitchy Skrillex wank and replace it with Holst's Mars or something. Lawrence of Arabia charging his sandmen into battle on horseback deserves a better calibre of stirring soundtrack, ffs.

Cliched maybe, but you can't possibly get more 'badass' than that.  :D

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: May 7, 2016, 08:13:06 am »
Deffo getting this.

I'm far too old to be pissing around in space bunny hopping all over the screen. This looks amazing.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 7, 2016, 08:43:30 am »
Visually looks appealing.

Considering they had a six hour build up and then showed zero gameplay I thought that was dissapointing. Also staged questions and staged answers, litterally know nothing about the game. Guess I'll have to wait till E3

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 7, 2016, 09:23:30 am »
Hope it has an engrossing single player campaign.

Wouldn't give a shit if battlefield fucked off a single player campaign.  Its all about multiplayer.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #52 on: May 7, 2016, 10:53:36 am »
I'd like to see a proper World War 2 one in the Frostbite engine.

But. Imagine a game that went from Ancient Rome, Sparta, Napoleonic Wars, Romans invading Britain and Bodacea and Joan of Arc and the Spanish Armada and stuff like that

Not sure that's ever been done properly
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #53 on: May 7, 2016, 12:42:41 pm »
Wouldn't give a shit if battlefield fucked off a single player campaign.  Its all about multiplayer.
Bang for your buck though, ain't it. Multiplayer's the thing you'll keep coming back to it for after completing the story, but if you're gona be paying around £50, you should expect both multi and solo modes to be top notch. For a number of reasons, Star Wars Battlefront was/is a cynical cash-in rushjob rip-off, if you ask me.

Most of the very best games of recent generations, the Uncharteds, TLOU, GTAV, MGSV, Bloodborne, etc. all give you superb singleplayer campaigns and class online modes. If you're gona significantly reduce the asking price, then go right ahead and lop off the solo campaign if that's for the best. But I want both from a full-price title.

The scope for pretty unique storytelling in this one makes it a very tasty prospect as well - when's the last time you played a big-budget WWI videogame? It's practically unheard of, so there's much gold to be mined there. I hope they take their sweet time on both the campaign and online modes, and produce a masterpiece that raises the bar for the military FPS, like Naughty Dog have done with the third-person action-adventure.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2016, 12:44:21 pm by Haemoglobin »

Offline MC14

• I apologise for my terrible hair, clothes and glasses
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #54 on: May 7, 2016, 12:53:29 pm »
Didn't they say in the campaign you're going to take the role of several people and show how the war affected them.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #55 on: May 7, 2016, 12:58:33 pm »
^ Yep, and that sounds absolutely fucking boss to me. This was a World War in the truest sense, with multiple exotic theatres, like its sequel. Focusing on just one division in one theatre is a bit of a waste when you can tell so many different fascinating tales, all moving along the same timeline and general narrative arc of the global conflict.

Really can't wait, hope they don't fuck it up.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 7, 2016, 12:59:20 pm »
Bang for your buck though, ain't it. Multiplayer's the thing you'll keep coming back to it for after completing the story, but if you're gona be paying around £50, you should expect both multi and solo modes to be top notch. For a number of reasons, Star Wars Battlefront was/is a cynical cash-in rushjob rip-off, if you ask me.

Most of the very best games of recent generations, the Uncharteds, TLOU, GTAV, MGSV, Bloodborne, etc. all give you superb singleplayer campaigns and class online modes. If you're gona significantly reduce the asking price, then go right ahead and lop off the solo campaign if that's for the best. But I want both from a full-price title.

The scope for pretty unique storytelling in this one makes it a very tasty prospect as well - when's the last time you played a big-budget WWI videogame? It's practically unheard of, so there's much gold to be mined there. I hope they take their sweet time on both the campaign and online modes, and produce a masterpiece that raises the bar for the military FPS, like Naughty Dog have done with the third-person action-adventure.

I know what your saying about the price but I'd rather have no single player and have some of the DLC maps for free instead.  Battlefield has never been about the single player and even tho I've played them I've never found them to be that great.  Cant remember if it was 3 or 4 and the only reason I done that really is for the p-90.  Was not going to redo it another 2 times for the other guns as it just wasnt enjoyable and I didn't really care either.  And even now Im just thinking i cant wait to get stuck into the multiplayer

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #57 on: May 7, 2016, 01:01:25 pm »
I know what your saying about the price but I'd rather have no single player and have some of the DLC maps for free instead.  Battlefield has never been about the single player and even tho I've played them I've never found them to be that great.  Cant remember if it was 3 or 4 and the only reason I done that really is for the p-90.  Was not going to redo it another 2 times for the other guns as it just wasnt enjoyable and I didn't really care either.  And even now Im just thinking i cant wait to get stuck into the multiplayer
Aye, I see where you're coming from. With any luck, we'll both be raving about it for our different reasons.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #58 on: May 7, 2016, 01:42:29 pm »
This looks amazing.  Looks like the FPS game we need.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #59 on: May 7, 2016, 08:57:58 pm »
Looks absolutely fantastic, breath of fresh air.
:D

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #60 on: May 8, 2016, 11:32:58 am »
Some concept art:

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #61 on: May 8, 2016, 11:49:53 am »
Some concept art:

That, versus futuristic bollocks which is basically everywhere all the time with videogames anyway.

It's almost like the other lot have looked at the buzz that space games have started to generate over the past couple of years, with the likes of Elite:Dangerous, No Man's Sky, the new Mass Effect, Star Citizen, etc. and thought "this is obviously the direction to go in for a military shooter!" - idiotic considering loads of futuristic games have gunplay action elements to them anyway, so it's hardly a well of untapped potential.

This artistic-licence-exploiting intensified 1914-18 period will capture the imagination of a great many players, mark my words. People will wonder why it's been left on the shelf for so long as a historical setting for big titles.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #62 on: May 9, 2016, 02:30:34 pm »
That, versus futuristic bollocks which is basically everywhere all the time with videogames anyway.

It's almost like the other lot have looked at the buzz that space games have started to generate over the past couple of years, with the likes of Elite:Dangerous, No Man's Sky, the new Mass Effect, Star Citizen, etc. and thought "this is obviously the direction to go in for a military shooter!" - idiotic considering loads of futuristic games have gunplay action elements to them anyway, so it's hardly a well of untapped potential.

This artistic-licence-exploiting intensified 1914-18 period will capture the imagination of a great many players, mark my words. People will wonder why it's been left on the shelf for so long as a historical setting for big titles.

Nail firmly on the head there.

I also expect the single player to be good for once, feed off of some real stories. World War One is still a massive unknown to many, even those very clued up on World War II

There's a fantastic series on YouTube that covers it year by year, I keep spamming it on RAWK but I'll do it again. There's so much more to it than trench warfare.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PbwH1ZBnYds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PbwH1ZBnYds</a>

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #63 on: May 9, 2016, 03:01:57 pm »
I`m a veteran CoD2 TR player, currently playing RO2 and even a bit of Darkest Hour. I like my FPS games without all the modern warfare shite, so this game actually looks bloody awesome. Any ideas on what the minimum PC spec will be?

BTW; for those of you interested in a Vietnam theme, the makers of RO2/Rising Storm have announced Rising Storm 2, which is set in Vietnam.

I`m also keeping my eye on the Kickstarter for Battalion 1944, which promises to be more like Call of Duty 2/MOHAA.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 9, 2016, 03:32:32 pm »
I`m a veteran CoD2 TR player, currently playing RO2 and even a bit of Darkest Hour. I like my FPS games without all the modern warfare shite, so this game actually looks bloody awesome. Any ideas on what the minimum PC spec will be?

BTW; for those of you interested in a Vietnam theme, the makers of RO2/Rising Storm have announced Rising Storm 2, which is set in Vietnam.

I`m also keeping my eye on the Kickstarter for Battalion 1944, which promises to be more like Call of Duty 2/MOHAA.

Battlefield's Frostbite engine is pretty well optimised so I'd imagine the minimum spec will be quite low, I've certainly not had any problems with their games even when my old PC was on its last legs.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: May 9, 2016, 03:56:03 pm »
Battlefield's Frostbite engine is pretty well optimised so I'd imagine the minimum spec will be quite low, I've certainly not had any problems with their games even when my old PC was on its last legs.

The engine is very scalable but you wouldn't want to run it on low settings, I tried it out through curiousity with bf4 just to see what it looked like and seriously looked like a ps2 game.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #66 on: May 9, 2016, 06:59:01 pm »
This looks awesome!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #67 on: May 9, 2016, 08:27:36 pm »
The engine is very scalable but you wouldn't want to run it on low settings, I tried it out through curiousity with bf4 just to see what it looked like and seriously looked like a ps2 game.

There's not a night and day difference between low and ultra on the PC for most, not sure how it looks like a PS2 game unless you're dropping the resolution significantly.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/d-IK9Q5aOdY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/d-IK9Q5aOdY</a>
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:23:32 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 9, 2016, 09:32:27 pm »
It has to be heightened, accessible action fantasy, I dig that. And as long as it's tastefully done, I'll love that element too - the romance and adventure of it all is as much a part of The Great War as the grim reality of the horrific meat grinder it was.

But I would be seriously fucked off if it was massively American-centic, that'd be taking the piss. I don't think it will be anyway, going by the type of battle fatigues and the voices I hear in that trailer, and there are interesting American/Canadian stories to be told, just not taking up the whole picture!

The potential for some poetic Wilfred Owen/Siegfried Sassoon vibes in there in the writing among H. Rider Haggard-esque globetrotting Boy's Own action & adventure is simply too good an opportunity to turn down, so I hope the developers have got it all covered to make a compelling, all-encompassing transportive, exhilirating experience, rather than just another dumbed-down shooter but with an early 20th century skin.

They're fools not having you on the design committee mate ;D
Honestly, such a pleasure reading your ideas. If it's that good I could probably be persuaded to part with some cash and play my first ever Battlefield game.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #69 on: May 9, 2016, 10:23:49 pm »
^ Thanks man!  :D

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and start making a few little games, shite visuals and all. I can do decent pixel art and photoshop, but the feats of modern artists working in the games industrry just astound me. And in my head, these ideas are fully-formed, with preposterously good cinematicc graphics.  ;D

The pipedream would be to meet a prodigy programmer and a genius digital artist/animator, who both have no ideas of their own and are completely directionless without strong guidance, and then I could just focus on the writing, sounds and music while shaping the project the way I see it. It's something I keep putting off 'cause my time is filled with other crap, but I've seen other indie developers throw themselves into creating their game (sometimes all on their own), and come out with something incredible at the end of it.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2016, 10:49:07 am »
This guy really knows his stuff :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l20il6AHlWo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l20il6AHlWo</a>

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2016, 12:00:11 am »

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and start making a few little games, shite visuals and all. I can do decent pixel art and photoshop, but the feats of modern artists working in the games industrry just astound me. And in my head, these ideas are fully-formed, with preposterously good cinematicc graphics.  ;D

The pipedream would be to meet a prodigy programmer and a genius digital artist/animator, who both have no ideas of their own and are completely directionless without strong guidance, and then I could just focus on the writing, sounds and music while shaping the project the way I see it. It's something I keep putting off 'cause my time is filled with other crap, but I've seen other indie developers throw themselves into creating their game (sometimes all on their own), and come out with something incredible at the end of it.

He's right pal, I've read a few of your musings and you do have great gaming ideas, some of which, if done properly, would probably produce spectacular results. I wish you the world of luck in any endeavours you decide to tackle.

A lot gets said about period settings regarding these type of games, and with good reason. Each has a huge baring on what weapons and defence are available in games as well as other equipment and of course the environment, and recently a lot of these have been modern/futuristic.

I'd love to see a different change though, in order to freshen up the FPS genre; I'd love to see the game engine changed to incorporate the best of a 3PS. What I like about the 3PS is the cover system, you look at GOW, Mass Effect, and more recently The Division, and they all make good use of cover and all have a slightly more hunkered and self-preservative approach, making them a more tactical experience. The draw back with 3PS is that you can see your character, and draws the player away from being immersed in combat. The fact that you can sit behind a low wall with your head down but still clearly see your enemies the other side of this cover means it lacks a certain amount of realism. Of course this is required for more classic RPGs, like Uncharted/Bloodbourn etc, but for specific armed combat, really you want to go FPS.

Your classic FSP enables you to get a realistic view of your environment, and immerse the player with more focus, but often become a bunny hopping sprint fest with reactions being everything. Cover doesn't really get much of a look in here, as the game becomes about moving quickly and hitting your opponent at the first opportunity and the way you do step in and out of cover is somewhat clunky. Although the game gives you a more realistic perspective, it doesn't give you a realistic simulation of what armed combat is actually about.

I'd love to see a blend of each aspect to give you a really realistic animation of warfare, particularly one to one and small grouped armed combat that is gritty and hunkered, with a realistic feel.  The key will be a good movement system and somewhat flexible/adaptable game engine. In terms of perspective you want to FSP view but with the ability to lean in and of cover in similar style that the 3PSs do. I'd plump for a cover to cover system similar to The Division, where you automatically sprint to cover when you look towards it and hold down an action button. In cover you'll face sideways like you do in real life, and have a system where you can lean and 'peep' round corners, before holding the aim button to step out a bit and draw a weapon, or establish which cover you want to move into. Maybe some simple tools to aid you like small mirrors , or periscopes, to help see round/over difficult cover. Squad mates being able to give detailed descriptions of their views would encourage the realistic team work required to fight in a real battle.

Realistic injuries would be great too! Where, if specific parts of your body take a direct hit, it adversely affects your performance. A shot to the leg means your ability to sprint its greatly decreased, or a shot to the arm making your aim wobble when you aim; maybe even a glancing blow to the head making you momentarily disoriented. All this could add to a really gritty, simulated combat experience where self-preservation, clever tactical movements and considered shots fired would strike a lovely balance between the modern FPS and 3PS and give it a really grounded, realistic armed combat simulator edge . Maybe when you are injured you can spend a bit more time healing yourself in whichever way required, (a bandage round the leg/arm and a shot of adrenaline taking 7-11 seconds).

It doesn't all have to be like this, there can be scenes where you blast your way past 3 guys with a shotgun as you sprint through them, maybe some hand to hand combat thrown in with a more realistic melee system than you find on most games. Of course you can throw in all the extras you usually find one Battlefields and CODs to make the experience a bit more diverse, abseiling, shooting out a vehicle etc etc, but with the realistic game engine.

What would also be nice is the ability to develop your character. Your character has the ability to level up and strengthen certain skill sets; sprint speed, stamina, pain resistance, gun stability, reload speed,  vision, tactical awareness, subtlety, medical care.  All this could be done with the training when you reach certain intervals, but also through your style of play.  It would enable you to team up with people who have different abilities to you to provide balance amongst your squad.

I think if you achieved these things the time period really wouldn’t matter too much, it would still have that honed and tactical edge whether it was WW1 or WW3 in 10 years’ time, it would still feel like human vs human even if the guns and armour where very technical. If you gave it an authentic engine and realistic human feel and perspective, it would remain gritty and grounded.

I really hope a developer is working on giving us a proper realistic experience in a similar way.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:13:20 am by -Daws- »
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2016, 03:13:14 am »

I wouldn't call myself a prodigy (or anything close to it for that matter) but I am a game programmer and I'd get involved with a project if it interested me, even if it just amounted to making a prototype. If you have any especially big ideas feel free to give me a shout and I'll be happy to either let you know how feasible they are or get involved myself.

The problem you've got with realistic injuries is that it can be really dull if you take a hit to the leg and have to limp your way through a level, or get shot in the arm and have to use your pistol in scenarios that were intended for rifle/shotgun usage. FPS cover usage can be quite cool (Rainbow 6 Siege has peeking around cover and deploying your own shields and wall reinforcements) but a complex melee system is difficult to execute in that kind of game, and often leads to a really lengthy learning curve (see Mount and Blade: Warband crpg mod).

Games that employ a wide range of improvements sound cool in theory but the reality is that each upgrade has little to no effect on how you play the game. What you really want is each improvement to lead to a really obvious increase in effectiveness.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:20:34 am by Schmidt »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2016, 07:05:52 am »
3rd person camera angles should change when behind cover to look in the direction the person is facing rather than forward so you can't see people coming without physically being able to see them. So if you run against a wall the camera would reposition so you can only look along that wall until you break cover. Its just lazy keeping the camera the same.

Intrigued to see how they handle the melee side of battlefield one

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2016, 08:15:25 am »
Looks awesome.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2016, 04:48:41 pm »
He's right pal, I've read a few of your musings and you do have great gaming ideas, some of which, if done properly, would probably produce spectacular results. I wish you the world of luck in any endeavours you decide to tackle.
I wouldn't call myself a prodigy (or anything close to it for that matter) but I am a game programmer and I'd get involved with a project if it interested me, even if it just amounted to making a prototype. If you have any especially big ideas feel free to give me a shout and I'll be happy to either let you know how feasible they are or get involved myself.
Ta las, very encouraging to hear you good people like some of my suggestions.

Schmidt, I'll defo keep you in the front of my mind for when I'm working less hours and can properly pin something substantial down, rather than just have these random disconnected concepts floating breezily about my head. At this present moment I'd be too busy with other shite to commit fully to a project, and I'd have to commit fully. The idea that indie programming magicians could help shape these daydreams into a real live thing though, that's pretty inspirational stuff - I often try to scale things back a fair bit anyway, gameplay-wise, because I expect the more out-there concepts would be very difficult to code, but just trying to code the ambitious crap in itself could see you stumbling on highly intriguing and novel game mechanics, purely by accident.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #76 on: June 6, 2016, 07:46:23 pm »
44 Concept Art pictures here, lovely stuff:

http://imgur.com/a/F7VbQ

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 6, 2016, 08:33:38 pm »
44 Concept Art pictures here, lovely stuff:

http://imgur.com/a/F7VbQ

Just looking at them the European town, London zeppelin and the massive palace looking one wold make really interesting levels

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #78 on: June 7, 2016, 03:59:52 pm »
New teaser.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ur8BOMuPMdE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ur8BOMuPMdE</a>

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2016, 10:07:09 pm »
AMG

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4pY3hlQEOc0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4pY3hlQEOc0</a>