Author Topic: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 15383 times)

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
« on: October 1, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »
Not played it for long but I'm very impressed with what i have played. So so polished, with vibes of the of the LOTR film trilogy.
Combat looks likes it's goign to be a lot of fun with plenty of variety.
What makes it stand out so far though is the voice acting and the score, the orcs,elves all sound great and the character models look fantastic. Hell of an opening sequence too.

Runs pretty well on my PC, better than i thought it would, otherwise this is the game i'd be getting a new console for.

Hopefully there's a GoT mod at some point. :D
« Last Edit: October 1, 2014, 12:58:14 pm by BER »

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2014, 01:02:48 pm »
Have also played a bit and like it. I have a question though concerning the game/Steam. I'm Austrian so naturally my Steam is German. Is there a way to change the games language to English, as I like the English voice-overs better? I know that I could change the language-settings in Steam to English, but that would also mean that I'd have to update most of my other games as well...

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2014, 01:06:02 pm »
got it pre ordered on ps4 but wasn't really expecting that much considering past lotr games, downloaded a jarg copy of the pc version yesterday and have played a few hours, not done too much mission wise as i don't want to spoil it for when my ps4 copy comes but really like what i've played so far, nice to see david moyes gollum make an appearance early on in the game as well

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »
Hopefully going after work to pick this up.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2014, 01:37:05 pm »
Think I might pick this up for the PC, but a word of warning for anyone who gets it on the 360 or the PS3. Apparently the Nemesis system, which is responsible for customizing your interactions with the orcs, has been scaled back pretty heavily to work on the last-gen consoles, so you're really not going to get the best version of the game.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 1, 2014, 01:37:49 pm »
Have also played a bit and like it. I have a question though concerning the game/Steam. I'm Austrian so naturally my Steam is German. Is there a way to change the games language to English, as I like the English voice-overs better? I know that I could change the language-settings in Steam to English, but that would also mean that I'd have to update most of my other games as well...

find the game in your steamapps folder, go into x64 and see if there's an .ini file, i've got the codex release which has their own ini file and you can change the language in there but not sure about the legit version

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #7 on: October 1, 2014, 01:54:38 pm »
Yeah saw this game had excellent reviews and was quite pleased that I'd pre-ordered it, picking it up for the PS4 at the end of the week. Looking forward to it!

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #8 on: October 1, 2014, 05:10:41 pm »
Looks good this. Might get it for PS3, shame it's not out on previous gen consoles for another month...

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2014, 06:02:57 pm »
find the game in your steamapps folder, go into x64 and see if there's an .ini file, i've got the codex release which has their own ini file and you can change the language in there but not sure about the legit version

No ini-file there, but I have found a way and it's fucking simple. But it must be quite "new" as I'm sure it wasn't there in earlier versions of Steam. Just right-click on the game in the library and select "Properties" and then there's the option to change the language... :)

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #10 on: October 1, 2014, 06:19:54 pm »
I see many people saying it's Assasins Creed set in Middle Earth, is that accurate or not?
Looks decent in the trailers but all trailers make stuff look decent.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2014, 06:26:22 pm »
I think it's more like Batman: Arkham Asylum (the good one) than Assassin's Creed, although it certainly draws heavy inspiration from both in terms of game-play mechanics.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2014, 06:42:08 pm »
I actually find the atmosphere a bit samey, like assassins Creed. Granted I'm not too far into it yet but I don't see any lush grass on the horizon. Does this all take part on mordor? Or do we get to visit forests, cities like on the film? Or where the elves live? The names escape me, sorry. (places like gondor)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 1, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »
my 780ti runs the ultra hd pack quite nicely, get about 80fps on average, guessing they exaggerated when they said it needed a card with 6gb ram
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: October 1, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »
Quite a few people have been streaming this game on the PS4 over the past few days, looks really fun from what I've watched so far. I've decided to get this instead of Destiny so will be picking it up in the next week.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 1, 2014, 07:27:40 pm »
my 780ti runs the ultra hd pack quite nicely, get about 80fps on average, guessing they exaggerated when they said it needed a card with 6gb ram

It's probably just to keep people from complaining, if they encounter problems with the (HD)-graphics. I'm using a 560Ti (I know it's shite, but don't see the need to upgrade yet) and have bumped up almost all settings up to "Medium" (they were on "Low" before) and have absolutely no problems playing the game. I'll admit that I'm not really arsed whether I have 50 FPS or 60. The most important thing is that they are stable (which they are). And I should be having "problems" as it says in the options you need to have 2GB of video-RAM to use medium-textures. No problems so far...

I actually find the atmosphere a bit samey, like assassins Creed. Granted I'm not too far into it yet but I don't see any lush grass on the horizon. Does this all take part on mordor? Or do we get to visit forests, cities like on the film? Or where the elves live? The names escape me, sorry. (places like gondor)

It's all in Mordor I think, but there is a second map that has more forest-areas I think. At least, that's what I've read. I can see where you're coming from with the samey-thing. Could become a problem further down the line...

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 1, 2014, 10:01:39 pm »
i can't tell the difference between ultra and high, maybe if was on a higher res than 1080 it might be more noticeable
STFU and agree with me.

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #17 on: October 2, 2014, 09:23:32 am »
I'll definitely get this. I have the next 10 days off so I'll have time but not sure if I want to spend it on this or FIFA, which I hardly touched..

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 2, 2014, 07:56:35 pm »
Roy Hodgson in the game?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #19 on: October 2, 2014, 08:55:36 pm »
Not on PS3 for a while, huh?

No, about 6 weeks. Very annoying and I don't understand why.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #20 on: October 2, 2014, 10:23:07 pm »
After initially being blown away....i'm a little less up on on this game after seven/eight hours as it quickly devolved into doing the same mission repeatedly. And as with all open world games, the real story is lost amongst all the filler.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 2, 2014, 10:34:37 pm »
Gonna wait a bit longer than that for reviews too. Would be annoyed if they strip it for the PS3.

only the nemesis system is stripped down, core gameplay is supposedly the same

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #22 on: October 2, 2014, 11:01:04 pm »
After initially being blown away....i'm a little less up on on this game after seven/eight hours as it quickly devolved into doing the same mission repeatedly. And as with all open world games, the real story is lost amongst all the filler.

When the combat is this fun, I don't mind a few repetitive missions, really. Not a perfect game, but a really fun one.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #23 on: October 3, 2014, 04:14:33 am »

Rivendell and Lothlorien  ;)

I just got a gaming PC and I bought a couple of Thai game copies (that they presumably downloaded from a torrent and then slapped on a CD), but I can't play them because they are all giving me DirectX (?) errors. I realized that I don't actually play so many games, and I can afford to buy the real ones from Steam, so I'm not going to get copies anymore. This one about LoTR seems like a good one to try, but the new Borderlands will be out soon, so I may wait until after I play that.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 3, 2014, 04:32:30 am »
Almost 6 hours of constant play and it's great. I really must learn to counter more and do those on the ground kills. Vital stuff.

But loving it so far! I've only really done 3 main missions, and a lot of side missions.

My one gripe so far is that when you are fighting one captain and another 2 appear you have zero chance and end up running away a lot.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #25 on: October 3, 2014, 08:15:43 am »
Almost 6 hours of constant play and it's great. I really must learn to counter more and do those on the ground kills. Vital stuff.

But loving it so far! I've only really done 3 main missions, and a lot of side missions.

My one gripe so far is that when you are fighting one captain and another 2 appear you have zero chance and end up running away a lot.

Chakan, what platform are you playing it on? I'm thinking about getting it from Steam.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Walshy nMeŽ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 3, 2014, 08:23:46 am »
Trading in Diablo for this today. Excited to give it a go.

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 3, 2014, 09:55:32 am »
Looks good, I can wait though, and will for a price drop first.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 3, 2014, 12:04:02 pm »
Chakan, what platform are you playing it on? I'm thinking about getting it from Steam.

Ps4

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 3, 2014, 09:02:17 pm »
Bought it and the disc doesn't work, perfect
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Jamie LFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: October 3, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »
Bought it and the disc doesn't work, perfect

Which version did you buy? A mate of mine bought the special edition and his disk wouldn't read on his PS4, so he took it back and the guy who replaced it said they've had a few returns on the special edition with similar issues.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 3, 2014, 09:47:21 pm »
now this is how you kill captains

http://youtu.be/YCjQrBT51Hg?t=1m9s
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 3, 2014, 10:00:21 pm »
Which version did you buy? A mate of mine bought the special edition and his disk wouldn't read on his PS4, so he took it back and the guy who replaced it said they've had a few returns on the special edition with similar issues.

Just a normal one on the Xbox one, hard rebooted the xbox a few times and it worked though, weird.

Can definitely see the similarities to Arkham series after playing it for 40 mins or so
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33 on: October 3, 2014, 10:07:53 pm »
You can tell a good game when it passes the where's the time gone and I've turned round to see the missus with a face like a slapped arse test
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 3, 2014, 10:46:50 pm »
How do you do standing finishers?

Can only do them when the orcs are on the floor!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 3, 2014, 11:13:56 pm »
How do you do standing finishers?

Can only do them when the orcs are on the floor!

When your force is high press triangle and []

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 3, 2014, 11:20:14 pm »
When your force is high press triangle and []

thought it was triangle & circle?

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37 on: October 4, 2014, 01:57:38 am »
You need to unlock the ability first in your upgrades menu then it's a case of hitting triangle and circle after a 8 hit streak
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 4, 2014, 06:33:05 pm »
The fights are quite enjoyable. One thing I don't like though is that Orcs and Uruks just appear out of nowhere. Like when I was in a mission and had just finished it, "plop" 20 new guys were suddenly in the area. I also followed one of the captains earlier who was panicking and after a while he just disappeared only for another captain to appear a couple of seconds later. I was also just fighting one of the captains, when out of nowhere a second one popped up. He "killed" me twice, but I could still go on somehow and finished the other captain... Weird game...

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 4, 2014, 06:34:28 pm »
The fights are quite enjoyable. One thing I don't like though is that Orcs and Uruks just appear out of nowhere. Like when I was in a mission and had just finished it, "plop" 20 new guys were suddenly in the area. I also followed one of the captains earlier who was panicking and after a while he just disappeared only for another captain to appear a couple of seconds later. I was also just fighting one of the captains, when out of nowhere a second one popped up. He "killed" me twice, but I could still go on somehow and finished the other captain... Weird game...

Yeah that is quite annoying how they just appear out of nowhere, I tend to just run away very quickly find a flower, get my health back up to full and go back and try take the captain on 1v1.